Jean Machi Joins The Club

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 30, 2013

Here’s a link to the list of all time wins by Giants pitchers:

As you would guess, it’s a long list. On page two I saw some of my favorite ex-Giants. The Count, Bob Knepper, Rick Reuschel, Ed Halicki— Bumgarner is already on page 2! Dirrrrty and Lowry are there as well. Casilla made page 3, tied for 144th with 18 wins. At the bottom of page 4 I found Dave Dravecky. Ozvaldo Fernandez is locked into page 5 with his 10-17 lifetime record with the Giants. Al Hargesheimer is a name I’ll never forget and he’s on page 6 with 5 wins. Anyone remember Andy McGaffigan? For some reason, I do. He’s on page 7. Somehow Wellemeyer won three games for us, he’s on page 8. Midway down page 9 you get into the guys who won a single game for us. It’s the beginning of 6+ pages of names of guys who are tied for 435th place on the all time Giants wins list with one win. Because it’s listed in alphabetical order, that’s where Jean Machi, his friends and his family can find him—specifically page 10 about half way down sandwiched between Shane Loux and Goerges Maranda who went 1-4 for the Giants in 1960.

Congratulations Jean Machi on this great personal victory. For a guy who toiled in the minors for 12 longs seasons before he got his shot, last night must have felt so freaking good…..

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:28 am

Warren Spahn 3-4 3.29 ERA 34 Ks 1.27 WHIP. Not bad for a guy before he retires. Just think, without those 3 wins with the Giants he may have only ended with 360 Ws for his career. Hooks, started in 1942, goes off to WWII, comes back in 1946 and retires in 1965. Amazing.

2. salty said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:02 am

Excellent intro.

Machi is already a favorite.

3. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:11 am

Shocking to me is Kirt Rueter is 20th . . .

4. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Cool thread, Flavor. Thanks. Cainer will definitely crack top 20. Timmy, if he re-signs with the Giants will too (and Madison, while currently 84th with 39 probably will, too). I know what you mean by the second page. Lots of guys from the 80s…Atlee Got Hammered, Mike LaCoss Us the Game, Big Daddy, Caveman Don Robinson, and as you mentioned Noah Lowry (who now owns a surf shop in Santa Rosa). Page 3 – William Van Launchingpad, Boo Brantley, and even Vogey. Krukow and Estes on page 1. Definitely fun to check this out.

Nice to get off the snide last night after the five game slide. Hoping Madison can continue it and get them rolling on a win streak.

5. Alleykat said, on April 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

Woody doesn’t shock me much Chuck.
    For 7straight years he put up double digit wins.
    Even came out of the gate hot as a rook for the expos going 8-0 as a 22 year old.
    Yeah he gave up alot hits,then would get the”Woody “Special” a DP.Guy new how to work corners like a Tom Glavine.130 -90 career is getting done along with longevity.
    And now he has the famous all-time hick man-cave the Wood Shed! Tip of the cap nod approval…

• willedav said, on April 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

vogs reminds me of him, esp on his bad days, when umps aren’t friendly and hitters aren’t over anxious and chasing stuff outside the zone. Worked for Woodrow, but I’m just not into nibblers.
      0h-fers from pagan and pence hurt last night. LU looks stronger than I originally thought, including LF. I think James theory that pitching might be SF only downfall is reasonable.
      One more W each vs. AZ, Brewers and Pads (ouch) earlier would have given SF a shot to be 9 or 10 over .500 and put more distance btw them and LA. Maybe Giants make up for that by smacking their ass this weekend.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have never thought of him (or his style) as a “nibbler,” but see these types of guys more as having control and being able to hit their spots. Maddux was great at this. And in watching Romo last night, he was money on being able to put the ball on the corners, it seemed at will. I enjoy a good power pitcher as much as any, but also appreciate the guys who are devious (change of speed, etc.) and can hit their spots consistently.

6. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2013 at 12:53 pm

The reason I say that, AK, is that there are a lot of great Giant pitchers. Looking at that list, there are a bunch I never heard of as well. Rueter was always the gutty lefty who did OK but was never the ace of the staff.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I think, but am not positive, that Reuter was the starter for opening day the first year at Pac Bell Park. And, Vogey was also a member of that year’s team.

7. twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 12:57 pm

No suprise, Dirrrty DFAed. I imagaine someone will pick up him on a minor league deal if he doesn’t retire. I’ll always love the guy. Maybe retiring would be best, we know he has a proud and supporing father and I’m sure that he’s loved by the people in Mayagüez, Whatever the future holds, he *should* be remembered as a good Giant who saved the 2010 season when Cain and Zito couldn’t come through…

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Just like I will always have big love for Zito on those key starts last year…same is true for Dirty. Between getting the victory on the final game of the season in 2010, and throwing the no-no while his dad was present (first ML game his dad had seen him pitch)…he’ll always have a special place in my heart.

8. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I’m sure the pitching will even out over the season. Vogie is worrisome more than anyone at this point. Cain’s early issues notwithstanding.

9. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Drrrty’s available now.

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I love him, Chuck. But with his control issues, I just can’t use him as my relief stick thrower.

• Alleykat said, on April 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Might be better off with Ricky Vaughn.
        Once the manager put the specs on him he started throwing strikes.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 30, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I hope Mr. Machi checks in here. Good thread.

I’m bestowing a nickname on him: Hypersonic, which I believe is a speed anywhere from Mach 5.0 to Mach 10.0.

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Well, that’s better than Ralph. As in Ralph Machi-o

11. snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Pablo’s in the LU.
    Looks like Kruk got down there last night to massage the elbow…

12. salty said, on April 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I can see why Pablo wouldn’t want to sit…he always hits well at Chase.

Nice piece yesterdays NYTimes on Pablo.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Link to it. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/sports/baseball/pablo-sandovals-heavyweight-game-for-giants.html?_r=0

From his quotes, looks to me Panda is clearly not currently taking his weight issue seriously.

“The Giants’ brass appears resigned to the size of Sandoval’s waistline, but that does not mean it has escaped their attention.
      “We’re concerned,” Bochy said. “It’s something we have to keep an eye on, and Pablo does, too. He understands that at his age he can probably handle it, but long term, he’s probably going to have to keep it under control.”

Sandoval agreed that he would eventually have to play at a lower weight.

“I’m getting old, at least in baseball years,” he said, leaning back in his chair in the Giants’ clubhouse, hands behind his head. “You have to set your mind if you want a long career; you have to change your approach with weights and workouts. I’ve been focusing on other things, but now I have to do it.”

When?

“I don’t know. One day.” He smiled, which is one of the things he does best.”

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 5:56 pm

So, that means there are more pressing issues for now? No?

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm

well it does seem to support the message in the piece written by Passan. And I can’t stand Passan, so that sucks.

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm

The story that Snarrk links to is far complimentary than the selective qoutes would make it appear. What piece are you referring to by Passan? The link is to an article by Jason Turbow.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm

It’s in the tinyurl within this thread:

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The quotes are what they are. That’s why I linked the article. The complimentary part states facts about his performance, which is very good. The other part can’t be ignored. Panda says he doesn’t know when he’ll get into shape — “one day”. IMO, that’s not a professional attitude of a guy getting paid millions per year…

13. SanDawg said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Great list, Flav. I could study that sucker for hours. I found myself really getting into page 2–many of same guys that Chi mentioned. A few highlights were Mark Gardner with not only 58 wins, but 13 games over .500 and Kelly Downs (who I always liked) with 47. Also surprised Mulholland only won 8 as a Giant and a smile came over my face when I saw “The Big Sadowski” and his 2 wins.
    Anyone going to Metallica night Friday? I certainly hope we have some Flap representation there for that one.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Flap Rep at Metallica? I’d probably be the most likely to go and I’ve only seen them once, about 15 years ago. Maybe one day they play a Friday night at the track down there? :)
      *Kelly Downs*– the greatest horse racing name ever to grace a baseball card………

• sandog said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I saw them once as well—- at Candlestick! (1988 “Monsters of Rock” tour) Its only a matter of time before they show up at 4 o’clock Friday!

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Diggity– I said *15 years ago* but I was just ball parking it. We were at the same Monsters of Rock show. Scorpions? Winger? etc….Right?

• Chico said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I saw them in ’96 @ lalapalooza when I was 18.. My big brother took me to the show along with some of his friends and managed to get me a bracelet to drink alcohol — I thought I was the coolest dude around. They put on a hell of a show. Soundgarden and the screaming trees, too. Good times.

14. Manny said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I had to look up Ray Sedecki, who came in around no. 97 with 32 wins. One of the most lop sided trades ever, the Cardinals get Cepeda who had a MVP year a few years later for them. Then the damn Cards trade him to the Braves for Joe Torre who has a absolutely monster year for them in like 70/71 and is a MVP. I was a kid when this went down and 45 years down the road it still pisses me off.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 6:45 pm

every time I get pissed off about some dumbfuck thing the Giants did while I was alive I just say to myself “2010 and 2012*, *serenity now, serenity now* and all the dumbfuck things just fade away. But I hear you.

15. mannyman46 said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

True Flav, but I was really thinking I was going to my grave without a GIants WS in my lifetime until they came through. We truly are living in the Giants golden years now.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm

thanks, I needed one of these for today.

16. sandog said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Flav–yes, that was the same concert. No Winger though. Van Hagar was the headline act. I did see Winger once at Cal Expo with KISS, but that is a different story for a different day.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I looked it up. Sub Dokken in for Winger. My mind’s eye still remembers Kip Winger on stage that day. Of course, that would’ve been a hazy memory the next DAY much less 25 years later.
      I wonder if we banged into each other in line? I trip out on that stuff year’s after I find out I crossed paths with someone years ago who I ended up being friends with later in life.

17. twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm

“every time I get pissed off about some dumbfuck thing the Giants did *while I was alive* ..”
    Well, that explains the garlic wreaths on your neighbor’s front doors ;-)

18. Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’m sure that Loo would be helpful with this stat, but just scanning the box scores I can’t ever remember seeing so many solo HR’s getting hit in this many games in a single night.

19. James said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:09 pm

“he let the bounce swing right into his load” Kruk, awesome, dude.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm

WTF does that MEAN?…

• James said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Kruk is like Dylan at his peak, he’s wants to keep you guessing.

20. Bozo said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Josh Wilson? Crap.

21. Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Ouch.

22. Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Casilla just did Bumgarner severely wrong, ;lol :( :( :(

23. James said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm

There was no reason to take out Cahill.

24. twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I guess that location will be rethought next time.

25. Chico said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Pablo got all of that!

26. Macdog said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

PABLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

27. Bozo said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Bamboo you, ya Putz

28. snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Panda Pops Putz!…

29. James said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

He let the load bounce right into his swing.

30. TedSpe said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

You knew that bad boy was out as soon as you heard the crack of the bat

31. Macdog said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Maybe the D-Backs should bring back Byung-Hyun Kim.

• James said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Don’t curse Romo.

• Macdog said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I was gonna hold off on that post for just that reason, but two World Series in three years has emboldened this Giants fan.

32. twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Rosario gets his 1st Giants’ win if Romo saves it..
    HR pace:
    Panda 24
    Pence 24
    Crawford 30
    Posey 18
    Belt 12

• TedSpe said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Bumgarner 2
      (why not)

• Macdog said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

And first career win according to Baggs.

33. TedSpe said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Nice start but this ain’t gonna be an easy inning for Romo
    Oh the drama. Love baseball

34. snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

The rules on who gets a win are just a travesty. The official scorer should have some discretion. One guy pitches a great game, gets a ND, the next guy pitches to one or two guys, gets the win. I never liked it, never will…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Sorry, the rules are fine. Let’s get Gaudin one tommorow and it’s a sweep with 3 guys getting their 1st Giants’ wins.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Sorry, the rules suck. That’s why the Cy voters are ignoring W-L more and more…

• TedSpe said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

You have a point. Same as when a pitcher gets an earned run when a reliever gives up the long ball after the starter got a guy on base in the 8th inning after 103 pitches. But at least Bum’s era is not affected

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:26 pm

There are some horrible horrible official scorers . You give them that kind of discretion, it would be a total joke. Think about it.

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:31 pm

You’d see official scorers padding win totals. A win for one scorer wouldn’t be a win for another. Come up with *some* giudelines or it’s a ridiculous idea.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Of course there would be some rules. But, the result would be no more ridiculous than giving a guy who throws one pitch the win…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Sorry, it would a total circus with official scorers in a position to award their homeboys. For your system to have any chance at all the official scorers would have to employed by the league or even a third party firm.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Of course you are correct, it’s Neanderthal baseball brain dead bullshit that keeps that rule alive

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:48 pm

You can’t have the official scorers have discretion as he said. It’s absurd idea if one takes even a minute to think about it.

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

A guy goes seven, leaves tied, his team wins in the ninth, and he gets a win? Absolutely a terrible idea that would REALLY render W-L totals meaningless.
        Congrats to Rosario !!!!!

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm

So, tonite the win should have gone to Bum, he pitched the longest, contributed the most. Instead, Rosario makes 3 pitches, gets the win. 3 pitches. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. An official scorer wouldn’t have much trouble with that with some basic rules like you still have to go 5 full, etc. A pathetic official result…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:14 pm

5 full, a guy leaves tied, and he could get the win? That’s worse. The bottom line is that you cannot leave that much discretion to official scorers who are too often totally biased as it is. Unless you can come up a new rule and not leaving it at the scorer’s discretion, it’s worse the the current situation.

35. TedSpe said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

ballgame

36. salty said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Outstanding!!

37. mannyman46 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

AHHH, victory how sweet that bitch is in life.

38. Chico said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Nice win. I feel good!

39. Bozo said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Ho ho ho, Romo.

40. snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

No doubt at all who is the SF staff ace.
    Clutch dinger by the Panda.
    Putz has at least 4, maybe 5? blown saves in 9 tries. Dbacks might want to sit him for a coupla games…

• Chico said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Or keep bringing him against us ;)

41. snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Dubs better have a good lead entering the 4th quarter on Thursday. The refs will not be giving them anything. I believe the NBA will do anything to screw the Dubs out of a first round win, so look for some very shady reffing this next game if it’s close late, to send it back to Denver. Jackson tonite was livid, called out Denver as “hitmen” trying to put Steph’s ankle away…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Why would the refs favor Denver?

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Extra game ratings (game 7) and ad buys, higher seed opponent and thus better ratings back East to play the Spurs. Nobody knows the Warriors back east. NOBODY. I saw a woman sportswriter on ESPN the other day (name?) who gushed that she had no idea that Steph was that good. The east coasters will figure a GSW/Spurs match will be a blow out series and they won’t watch it, especially because few back east watch the Spurs anyway, even if they’re playing somebody the east has heard of before. The refs cannot be trusted, ask Donaghy, ask the Kings in the 2002 game 6 in Sac vs. the Lakers. Game was fixed…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Wow.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm

This is an old story, but it gives you the low down. Read what Adelman says, the Kings coach at the time. Kings fans will also tell you that game was stolen from them. Same scenario as this upcoming game, though Denver is not as big a deal as LA. Same principle. Did you see the game the Dubs played against the Lakers just before this season ended? LA had to win that game, had to, to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot. Foul shots? 50-16 in favor of the Lakers. Laughable, multiple phantom calls. Not fixed? — the Dubs players were livid after that game, they lost by 2. The Lakers got into the playoffs, the NBA knew they’d get blown out. So what? 4 games of playoff TV ratings and ad buys for the LA market means millions, compared to a dogmeat Jazz/Spurs matchup…

• twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I saw the game.Maybe I’ll discuss it with you another time., I’m tired. Have a nice late evening.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Alright. Water under the bridge.
        But, I’d trust NBA refs in an elimination game with the underdog up in games about as far as I could throw them. That’s one reason I haven’t paid much attention to the NBA in years. I truly believe that some of the outcomes are “helped” by outside forces beyond the players, and I’m no conspiracy nut. There are plenty of others out there with the same view. I would never bet on an NBA game. Anybody that does is a sucker…

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Kaboom. W. Take that, you Putzes.

43. twinfan1 said, on April 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm

As I said, minimum 2 of 3 at AZ. Congrats to Machi and Rosario for their first Giants’ wins.

44. eddacker said, on April 30, 2013 at 11:23 pm

And God Bless you one and all

Giants win; Flappers, winners

45. […] A nice ode to Jean Machi‘s first win over at OneFlapDown77.com. […]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers