Who You Like Now?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 23, 2013

Now that we’ve accepted the cold reality of missing the playoffs this year, I’m wondering who you are all rooting for (if anyone) the rest of the way. In the AL, I’m finding myself leaning towards wanting to see the Royals snag one of the wild card spots. Growing up, I was a big George Brett fan, I like their uni’s and I have always thought their ballpark has stood the test of time–seems like a very cool yard. And if any of you caught that walk off grand slam yesterday then you can tell that there’s some magic swirling in KC this year.

I also wouldn’t have a problem with the A’s winning it all. Before our *Two in 3* I might have had an issue with it but the fact is, I like several players on their team. And with gallons of shit coming up and into the dugout recently you kinda have to almost feel sorry for the A’s.

In the NL, it’s all about the Pirates. Great story. Great city for baseball. The “We are family” days could be coming back. That was such a fun time in baseball history……..

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

Go Pirates!

2. Macdog said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

Whoever’s playing the Dodgers.

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

I’ll have what Mac is having. ;-)

3. salty said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yeah, anyone but LA. Begrudgingly root for Oak. Will be interesting in the contest what everyone does about The Bums.
    Wouldn’t mind Dusty winning it but don’t think much of their chances.

4. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

Yeah, wouldn’t mind Balt getting into the playoffs. But they are fading. KC would be cool. I had no idea until a couple days ago that they were even in the hunt. Fuck Texas. They had their shot. The A’s? Sure.

As far as the NL goes, Pittsburgh all the way. Cincy as well. Fuck the rest.

The Giants? Just get as close to ,.500 as you can.

5. snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:48 am

Pirates v. A’s. That would be nice.
    The MLB and Fox Network nightmare World Series…

6. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

Apropos of nothing, Mike, that system you sent me years ago doesn’t have a wireless card?

It’s weird, I tried installing a wireless USB adapter, and it didn’t work. I’ll try another one (and stupid me threw away an old wireless card in my last move) and see if it works. .

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

I never noticed because I had it hardwired into the router all those years in the old house.

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

no, it didn’t have one. if you said something i would have sent you one- it would have been a usb, though. i’ve used dozens of usb wireless adapters without a problem. what was the error?

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I get an error when installing the SW, and the whole process stops. I already packaged it up and took it back. I’m gong to try another one later.

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 1:09 pm

did you put in the front usb or back? i don’t recall yours right now, but often the front usb are usb 1.1 and they work better are the faster rear ones.

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I tried the front and the back and got the same error message.

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, the ports are fine. I bought another one, will try later.

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 2:00 pm

well, try another and let me know. i presume that you’ve checked out the usb ports with other devices?

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

what os is on yours? if it’s 7, and you can go online wired, you should be able to plug it in and the drivers would be installed automatically.

7. snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’ve never been an AL fan. So, I’ll root for any NL team in the WS, unless it’s the Dodgers. If that happens, I’m for the AL team, even if its the dang Yanks or RSox. I’ve always been ambivalent about the A’s. Don’t dislike or like ‘em. But, if it were the A’s vs. Doghairs, heck, I’d try to score a ticket to that WS at the Commode (Doghairs play at the Latrine, so given their sewage issues, the A’s now play at the O.Commode) and root for the A’s….

8. SanDawg said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:54 am

…similar to what others have said, my strongest emotions in the playoffs will be hoping the Dodgers lose. As for actually rooting for someone to win, it would be the Indians for sure. I’d like to see the city of Cleveland get the monkey off its back and the Indians have had a brutal combo of awful teams and close calls as long as I have been a fan. I’d love to see them get it done. Other teams I wouldn’t mind would be the the Rays or the Tigers. Really hard for me to get behind any of the NL teams. I’ll go with Cinci for the Dusty factor.
    I’d have no problem seeing the A’s have a nice run and then lose in the WS.

9. twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

the a’s, who else is there? that’s for the players and coaches. the ownership deserves *nothing*. the bucs in the nl but i’d to see them go in on a higher note.

10. SanDawg said, on September 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

…..I forgot about the Pirates. I guess I’m still struggling with thinking of them as a playoff team. I’m still all about the The Tribe, but I’ll pull for the Pirates in the NL.

11. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Whatever will win me the PC is who I am for; and, right now I am entering all the data, stats, tendencies into my IJames (yes, it’s better than an IMac) and the results will be available when all the playoff spots are accounted for. ;-)

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm

did you check out the preseason post by james? it’s james to a (lovely) ‘t’…
      ”In combination with an inexplicable week-long lack of interesting live music and some poorly chosen restaurants on my part, the Giants ruin our trip to NYC by being 7 games behind the division leaders and other WC contenders on September 17th. The Giants very good fortune in winning 94 games last year is reversed, and they finish with a record that’s closer to what the season’s run differential projects.”

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Simply prophetic!

12. Rooster said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I say the Nationals – oh, they’re pretty much out of it now?

Well, I’ve always liked the Redbirds, but they just won it two years ago…

The Braves are uninteresting to the point of being boring.

Cincy has always been kind of a cool team – Cincy always reminds me of Charlie Sheen, apparently he’s a big fan – years ago I remember him ranting and raving about his then wife, Denise Richards, always pulling him away from watching the ballgame – “Why is it that she always needs my help to give the baby a fucking bath in the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game with the reds coming up!?” or some such thing he said. And besides that, The Lizard with his toothpick and tongue flapping all over the place is kind of creepy – he’ll probably end up handing a game ball to one of his starting pitchers with the game still undecided and end up losing a series or some dumb thing.

Pittsburgh is a good story – they haven’t won it for a long time – and I always liked Clint Hurdle – dude oozes oldschool baseball managerness -but what’s with this *Z* for Zoltan sign thing they got going on? WTF does Zoltan have to do with baseball?

Guess I’ll have to root for the Dodgers…

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I like the Rays or Indians in the AL. Wouldn’t mind KC. A’s would not bother me either. Yes, go Bucs! Hard for me to get into it, though. Without the Giants, my interest wanes, like a guy making out who gets interrupted by, by . . . I don’t know, a text from his mom. Something like that.

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Magnus, I sent you 4 photos from yesterday, not very good ones, in my view. Wow, I just saw the photo of you and your dad. I really love it.

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I’ll check it out when I get home from work. Thanks for the comment about me and my dad.

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm

First time I have seen the photo too. Nice photo Flav (definitely got his tall genes). Also, San Dawg is right, he looks like Bobby Bowden.

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm

He sounds like him more than he looks like him

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Yeah, had to Google Bowden images and the closest I came up with was this . . . http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/cfb.bobby.bowden.milestones/images/bobby-bowden-1988.jpg

• SanDawg said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm

IMO, he sounds ALOT like Bobby B. However, when I saw that great pic, I did say to myself that he LOOKS a bit like Bowden as well.
        I loved Bobby Bowden at FSU. Every year he played Miami and Florida and loaded up his schedule with teams like Notre Dame and LSU. I hate seeing some of these horsecrap schedules some of these “powerhouse” teams like Ohio St. create for themselves every year just trying to stay undefeated.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Mystery Woman was a worthy companion to Yankee Stadium. Even though she is a Yankees fan, she wore orange, “to show respect,” as she put it.

16. twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

contest entrants to date, deadline is end of regular season ( end of day, september 29)
    craig, chi, chuck, snarkk, mac, rooster, kat, salty, blade, manny.sandawg.

17. Irish Kevin said, on September 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Damn, some boring ass teams to choose from. Well we all know that no one is rooting for the bums. I refuse to root for the A’s, they were so smugg back in the 70′s, handle bar mustaches and all. I did think it was funny when Charlie O ask Vida Blue to change his name to True.

18. zumiee said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Easy choice for me for playoff team to root for: my wife’s team, the Braves.
    I don’t dig “the chop” and the dirge-like “chant,” but they’ve got some likable players on their team…..other than Uggla.
    After the Braves, my choice would be Anybody But The Dodgers.
    Beyond the Braves, I could pull a little bit for the Reds. Or the A’s. The A’s winning it all would be hilarious. And it would be the crowning of Billy Beane as some kind of baseball genius. In fact, give it up for Beane already. What he does year in and year out with that team is incredible.

19. snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Breaking Bad spoiler from last night.
    Walter White.
    He’s coming back to ABQ from “relocation” in New Hampshire.
    And, it looks like he’s NOT in a good mood…

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Yeah, it’s set up for quite a finale. Hold on to your seat!
      And congrats to Anna Gunn for winning an Emmy last night, and the show winning Best Drama. Hearing that slide-guitar theme music as the cast and producers walked to the stage was kind of surreal. A very deserving win for Anna and the show. Cranston and Paul had won 2 Emmys each previously.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

3 for Cranston. Yep, he’s won the hat trick. And, he should win another for Series 5. I think the all time individual winner is Don Knotts as Barney Fife. Five Emmys in a row. All deserved…

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm

delighted to see robert forster. have liked him since ‘medium cool’. it had very mixed reviews but it was a unique, quite powerful film, imo. forster is beyond medium cool in last night’s episode.
      btw- there’s a marathon starting wednesday with every episode from every season , ending with the series finale sunday night. i’m a junkie- i”ll have popcorn and greenies ;-)

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Forster WAS good casting. After seeing them all, I do think my fav season was 4, with all the Los Pollos Hermanos, Gus, cartel, Mike, etc. stuff going on. It was well, well done. And, all fit together. This last season has just been harrowing. I’ve never invested in a TV show like this. The “Ozymandias” episode two weeks ago when everything finally hit the fan was exhausting. I felt limp after it was done; surely one of the top 3 episodes of the entire run. I have no clue who is going to live or die in the finale. Whatever I would guess, it would be wrong, because I’m never right guessing what’s next. I DID guess, though, that the Gray Matter people would have some role at the end, and they have as per last night. IMO Walt’s feeling ripped off and dissed by them drove his entire existence as Heisenberg to come out on top. But, I don’t know if the M-60 is for them…

20. Alleykat said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I could dig the Indians makin a run.I have one of those “old school Indians logo hats” with the smilin devious face and red feather,pretty bitchin cap IMO.
    Like Pawlie,im a fan of Joe Maddon,aka Spencer Tracy look alike,so Tampa Bay is fine along with the truly remarkable Oakland A’s,they are clicking.
    NL..Pirates ,20 losing straight seasons.going back to some guy named Barry Bonds roaming LF,now that would be a story.
    Any team that beats.the Dogpile im rooting for as well.
    Though screw St Louis,Atlanta(fuck that stupid ass chop

tlanta! Just alittle love for Baker and Cinn.Since his dumb
    kid Darren wont be running into JT Snow’s arms anymore and Baker won’t be tossing Russ Ortiz the game-ball…”NOT” anymore.

21. snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm

SanDawg — of ice and scotch, this article’s for you. Amusing, IMO…
    http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot.com/2013_07_01_archive.html. And, check out the photo of this double play combination. Cruz & Hayek. Way way better than Adrianza and Scutaro. I TOLD Baer he needed to upgrade the international scouting — I wouldn’t mind these two on my, ahem, team…

22. Bozo said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I can’t stand the Dodgers or the As so I’ll be rooting against those two. I still like the idea of a Jim Leyland series, so Tigers and Pirates would be cool for me.

23. Flavor said, on September 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I think I might be the only person in the world who has never seen a *Breaking Bad* episode. Don’t even know what it’s about. Is it anything like that movie Breaking Away? That was an epic movie.

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm

think of ‘breaking away’ ( i agree, terrific film) on, well, on crystal meth ,with some ‘sopranos’, ‘blue velvet,’ and maybe ‘the wire’ thrown in. or, just check it out wednesday, you’ll get hooked, there’s nothing like it.

• manny said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Twin, you knew things were going to shit when Saul hit the road.

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm

well, I watch very little tv outside of Giants, Niners, etc. I don’t know what The Wire is, either. And I’ve never seen the Soprano’s and don’t even know what Blue Velvet is, lol. Sorry. But thanks for the breakdown.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Well, Walter White is, Hmmm.
        Think of a caucasian Barry Bonds with a lethally bad attitude and more cash. But, he loves his family…

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm

or ‘the beaver’ grown up and gone bad. really really bad. ward wouldn’t be lecturing that dude…

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Make that two Flavor. Of course, I didn’t discover Seinfield – my all time favorite sitcom – until it was well into reruns.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

My kids haven’t see one. And, they’re not going to see one for a long time, at least in my house…

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm

i won’t let mickey and zeke watch it. thay may get ideas…

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm

it’s not spoiling things to say that if todd was at my door i’d look thru the peephole and shoot myself *now*.

• twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm

snarkk, you ought to do a ‘breaking bad’ page if craig is for it. you’d be a perfect guide to mayhem and mirth ;-)

24. Alleykat said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

That was a brutal looking injury to Orioles 3Basemen Machado’s left knee giving out at 1B.
    Kid is a top-knotch star,amazin glovework,great young hitter for the game,real tragic.Hope he bounces back quickly,love watching him play ,could be 3 ligaments damaged.
    Reminds me when Jason Kendall blew out his at 1st as well,gruesome to see.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Weird injury, Kat. Looks like he barely tapped the edge of the bag with his foot, it was just torqued the wrong way and the momentum/weight did the damage. Sorry to see that. Another reason why I’m so against those walk off celebrations — that kind of injury could easily happen with the scrum moving every which way and guys jumping on each other…

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Machado is a stud. He was slowing down a bit the 2nd half, but nevertheless he definitely was a big, big key to the Orioles season. I hope he can recover from this devastating injury.

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I haven’t seen Breaking Bad either. But I am the ONLY person you will ever meet who has never seen one episode of these: Happy Days, Dallas, and [insert the name here of another popular series].

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm

All In The Family

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:51 am

Ha. Liked All in the Family. Latecomer to Sopranos, grew to love it. Like MadMen a lot. Missed The Wire. But I LOVE xoot’s brushoff off all these. He’s our resident John Simon or Pauline Kael, I guess.

• twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

ah, john simon. he wouldn’t review the shows, he’d trash the actresses bodies. or he’d deny that he had a tv.

• xoot said, on September 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Ineluctable banality of the video.

Sopranos? Boring. Wired? Never saw it, although Steve Earle’s involvement gives me pause. Mad Men? Boring. Breaking Bad? Boring. Personally, I’m re-reading The Master and Margarita and I have Bleeding Edge next, fiction-wise. Never saw Dynasty but met John Forsythe. Very short, very deep voice. Hollywood sucks. Its best is barely bearable.

• James said, on September 23, 2013 at 10:58 pm

The Wire gets kudos if only because of the second season, which is about labor unions and is not stupid. They’ve made some good movies in Hollywood over the years, some at least on par with a good baseball game.

• twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:07 am

bummer.having to watch a whole season to get to the good stuff.

26. Flavor said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Machado’s injury was weird as hell. I’m still trying to figure out what happened, I’ve watched it 5 times. That’s the kind of injury that should happen to old people taking a bad step off the curb……..

27. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Let’s see what is what . . . 49ers season going down the shitter; boring Monday night football game with two teams I detest; Giants in 4th place; and baseball season over in less than a week.

I am already in winter mode waiting for spring training. :-(

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Time to go on a S. American or Central American trip, blade. Gotta check in with those enchanting chiquita tourguides (with no smartphones) for the rainforest hikes…

28. twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 7:40 pm

regarding todd at the door- if sean hannity happened to stop by first, have him answer the door…
    geez, what haven’t i watched? any of the ‘real housewives…’ shows. well, not the ones on *tv*..
    and the number one show i never watched and never will- ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’. the whole cast can open the door for todd… i’ll film it.

29. twinfan1 said, on September 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

pawlie has been added to the contest. that’s 12- it’s enough to make it a good contest, but i’m going for 18 now.oops, someone at the front door. i’d better….uh-oh…
    ( uh-oh, not the words you want to hear from the cockpit or when under local anesthetic)
    night all.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers