Where Were YOU in ’92?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 24, 2013

I watched the end of the Buc’s game on mlb.com last night. Grilli, who was in the process of blowing the save, gave up a hit to the outfield. Byrd stumbled and fumbled the ball but McCutchen was there to pick it up and fire it in, though off line. Morneau managed to snare the desperate throw and flip it to Martin who tagged out Schierholtz at the plate–*BUCffoonery* in all it’s abject glory. Here’s the play if you missed it:

Is that not the perfect way for an incompetent franchise like the Bucs to reach the post season for the first time since 1992? Jesus, that was a long time ago. I was just graduating college at Lewis & Clark. Will the Thrill was our 1st baseman. Tiny Felder was one of our outfielders. Righetti was in the bullpen. The Bucs? Tim Wakefield was a rookie in ’92. I think he’s about 123 years old right now. And finally retired. Barry Bonds and Kirk Gibson were teammates. I bet that made for an interesting clubhouse.

What were you doing in ’92?

Pittsburgh’s dry spell makes me appreciate “2 in Three” all that much more……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:42 am

Speaking of blowing it, I had Charlie Morton on my Flap team pitching three-hit ball over seven scoreless innings before the Cubs tied it against Melancon (one of GH’s relievers, whom by the way, usually closes for the Pirates). Anywho, Melancon got a “vulture” win for his fuck up and put my Flap team a game and a half behind GH in the standings for 1st. Well done on GH’s part . . . Not so good for me though. :-(

2. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:53 am

Umm . . . In 1992, I was on the immediate staff of Rear Admiral Ralph West, managing the occupational safety and health program at Monterey’s Naval Postgraduate School. Good times . . . Photo of me with hair:

3. Nipper said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:37 am

In ’92 I was sucking my thumb and curled in a corner somewhere. Today I’m still sucking my thumb and curled in a corner of my kitchen. At least I’m inside now. That’s progress!

4. sportdude said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:08 am

Newly married in April. My best man killed in a car wreck in Sept. Not a good year.

5. sportdude said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:08 am

I don’t know if any Flappers are going to the game…but if they are cheer for Wilson!

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

I think an applause the first time he is announced is appropriate…hell, if I was there, I might even give him a standing-o. After that…all bets are off…he is now the FUCKING ENEMY!

6. Nipper said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

KNBR guys are crying about losing Lincecum or the possibility of losing him. What a bunch of wimps. Of course players may move somewhere else. It’ s a free country. Too bad they can’t move Brian what’s his name out of KNBR. What a whiner.

7. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:43 am

92? Raising kids, riding motorcycles, going to Giants games. Pretty much same as now (raising kids transitioned to playing with my grand daughter). Bonds and Gibson as teammates. Yeah, that could have been interesting.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:55 am

Great thread. (Sportsdude’s is a blow to the solar plexus.) I was between marriages. Efficiency apartment. Staying alive. (I seem to live in cycles; this is happening again to a degree.)

9. twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

actually, i’ll have to think about ’92 for awhile. i know i was drunk at the start and and when it ended. i know some people who don’t have a tv and are eager to point that out. they watch their sitcoms on their tablets…

10. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:33 am

Good thread Flavor. I am happy the Bucs made the dance…good to see some new blood and especially a storied franchise like Pittsburgh that has not been there in some time.

11. manny said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:42 am

I was still stationed on the USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) in Mayport, Florida (Jacksonville area). When not on the ship I was mostly in some bar outside the base guzzling beer.

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

From one vet (wingnut – USAF) to another…thanks for your service.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Ditto.

12. Irish Kevin said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

92, hmmmm…just starting a family, my son was two years old. pretty much spent my nights with him on my lap watching the Giants. His name is Michael/Mike.

13. Nipper said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hunter Pence…….. I like the guy but if he needs more than three years at 20 million plus per year and I was running this outfit the reply would be goodbye and thanks for the service and GOOD LUCK!

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

Nip, you’re uncharacteristically opinionated today. You feelin’ ok?

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 11:41 am

My desire is three and an option, but with the FA OF class being thin, and the way he turned it on at the end of the year, he will want (and get) more than three. I am hoping four and an option, but it may go five and an option. I don’t see him getting 20 per, but with what other top OFers are making, I could see something in the neighborhood of 17 per.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I like it. Good points Nip.

14. Macdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 11:33 am

Living in Jersey. An interesting, fun time both personally and professionally. The year included a visit to San Francisco with round-trip airfare I won thanks to my expertise in auto racing. Where else would I go but S.F.? Went in early April and caught a couple games at the ‘Stick against the Padres, although I still regret not going to see the Sharks play at the Cow Palace, just for the novelty of it.

I had no idea Gibson played for the Pirates in ’92.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

You probably know this Mac (along with some other Flappers here), but Ewisco lived in New Jersey for quite a few years. I haven’t seen him here for awhile, but Eric was a world class swimmer. He just missed qualifying for one of the U.S. Olympic teams. Not certain which Olympics he tried out for, but his previous times were better than the guy(s) that got in.

15. Macdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Ewisco lived in Jersey too? Cool. Yet another one here who’s spent time in the Garden State.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, I believe he moved there after graduating from Stanford. Not absolutely certain about that though . . .

16. Bozo said, on September 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

92? Let’s see, I was still working for the company I would retire from in 08, I was playing in the band that I would leave in 08, although I think that was around the time I switched from trumpet to drums. I was extremely bummed out because the Giants were moving to Florida. 1993 was a much better year for me.

17. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Damn. I had forgot that 1992 was the year our beloved Giants almost moved to St. Pete. My ex and I were in SF with friends from St. Paul who were out visiting. They were staying at the Cathedral Hill hotel, and I was sitting at the bar waiting for the girls to come down when the proposed move was announced. It was a trip…not a dry eye in the bar. I have a bumper sticker stashed away somewhere that says “No Way Tampa Bay.” I wrote a letter to Fay Vincent (then the Commish) telling him all the reasons the Giants should not move. I am sure my letter was “instrumental” in the Giants not moving (if any of you remember, Bob Lurie needed 10 NL owner’s votes to seal the move, and he got only nine).

Here is the NY Times piece where the proposed sale/move was announced.

1993 was definitely better. The Giants signed Bonds and the rest is history.

18. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

The “Quest for Third” hits the home stretch tonight as the Giants begin their last homestand and final six games of the 2013 campaign. Here’s how it all stands today:

Friars are in 3rd, Giants in 4th (one game back), and the Sherpas are in the cellar, 1.5 games back of the Giants.

Sherpas have 5 remaining, beginning with two at home tonight against the Red Sox, and finish with three on the road against the Bumbinos.

Dago opens a three game set tonight, at home, against the Snakes, and then finishes with three against us in our yard.

Giants start the homestand off tonight with three against the hated Bumbinos.

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for the breakdown Chi. It would seem that we have the inside edge for 3rd place.*

*After winning the 2010 and 2012 World Series Championships, this sentence sounds hilarious. :-)

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I agree…quest for third just doesn’t sound right…but WTF…you DO want to finish as high in the division as possible…

19. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Now I have to go out back and continue stacking firewood…I think it is going to be a long off-season huddled around the Hot Stove…

20. unca_chuck said, on September 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

One kid born, one on the way in ’92. Poor as dirt and working our asses off.

No motorcycles yet, though!

Gibson was on the Buccos? Do not remember that at all.

• Flavor said, on September 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

He only played a couple of months in Pitt. He was traded to the Bucs in March of that year and released in May. He didn’t catch on with another big league club till the following off season (the Tigers)

21. twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

the kidz- of the call ups, perez is clearly the guy they’re most interested for next year, a good barometer is how many starts the kidz get in september- he has 9, by far the most of the ankle biters. quick thumbnails-
    perez, 9 starts- offense still a question mark, but has probably already locked up a roster spot for 2014
    quiche- just 1 september start- it’s not the k’s, it’s not the demeanor, it’s, well, he’s been horrible. he misses bp fastballs by 2 feet and has shown less pop than adrianza. if he doesn’t get his roy hobbs on for st, he’s probably finished as a prospect
    adrianza- 2 starts plus another tonight- he has 10 at bats and probably six of those were good ones. total surprise offensively. don’t get me wrong, he’s still a huge question mark at the plate- but he’s looking like he may be a big league shortstop for somebody. probably back to fresno to start 2014. but his stock is back on the rise again.
    peguero- 1 start. it had been claimed for years that he’d develop power. we can’t wait until ‘roids are legal. no power, no patience. bad combo. best chance is as 7th outfielder… oops.
    monell- 0 starts- sanchez has locked up the back up spot for 2014. johnny is here for the garlic fries.

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

7th OFer…garlic fries…LMAO. That’s some funny stuff, Twin.

And now, pinch-hitting for the pitcher, Johnny “Garlic Fries” Monell.

22. twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 3:23 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF

2. Juan Perez (R) LF

3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

7. Tony Abreu (S) 2B

8. Ehire Adrianza (S) SS

9. Matt Cain (R) P

23. Flavor said, on September 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Hector’s catching abilities are so suspect I don’t think he should be guaranteed shit. And his hitting skills aren’t so great that you can ignore his defense/receiving skills. The best thing he seems to do, at least in terms of success, is pinch hit, especially if the game is on the line.
    Not giving Monell any look at all tells you everything you need to know. Anyway, he can tell his grand kids about the cup of coffee he had at The Show in September of 2013. There are worse stories to tell your grand kids……

• twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

well, i think hector’s a lock despite the defensive liabilities. decent hitting back up catchers are at a premium. i was among his biggest backers last year, and biggest detractors earlier this year. but he’s hit and defended better since the break.
      ‘Not giving Monell any look at all tells you everything you need to know’ yep, that i knew. maybe you can comfort kat, though. ;-)

24. Flavor said, on September 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Zito to start tomorrow, Bumgarner shut down for rest of year….

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I’m glad Zito is getting one more start.

25. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

We all make fun of Bleacher Report, but it’s amazing how much growth this unit of Turner Broadcasting has experienced. Bleacher Report was founded in 2007 by David Finocchio, Alexander Freund, Bryan Goldberg, and David Nemetz – four friends and sports fans who had been high school classmates at Menlo School in Atherton, California. Then it was acquired by Turner Broadcasting System (a subsidiary of Time Warner) in August 2012 for an undisclosed sum reportedly near $200 million. Today, its estimated worth is
    $1,360,000,000. Wow! How much does it make? $192,598/day, $5,777,940/month, $69,335,280/year.

Website Traffic
    12,840,000 visitors / day
    385,200,000 visitors / month
    4,622,400,000 visitors / year
    64,199,643 pageviews / day
    1,925,989,290 pageviews / month
    23,111,871,480 pageviews / year

Me? I like the compilation of Chronicle, Mercury, CSN, and occasionally, the “average Joe” sports fan writer they employ for pennies a page view/hit. Forbes.com called Bleacher Report “one of the leaders” among sports startups “figuring out the digital space” in August 2011, noting the company’s success in “providing publishing tools to all sorts of knowledgeable sports fans to report and express what they know.”

• twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

i’ll take a look, i haven’t even looked at it for awhile. they had some writers who shouldn’t have been covering sack races.

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Exactly. However, they are taking the criticism to heart and are trying to make improvements, including paying their writer contributors more than they have in the past. Their business model is almost exactly the same as Seeking Alpha, except Seeking Alpha is focused on business, e.g., stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, etc. Seeking Alpha had the same growing pains (still does truth be told), but is a good resource for investment related news and opinion.

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Interesting…I don’t look often but will have to check it out again. Twin summed it up pretty damned accurately…

26. zumiee said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

’92 was a year of big change for me. I went back to college to change my job/career/direction in life. It ended up being a good decision.
    —–
    What a bummer that the 49ers are not playing well. Maybe things will turn around for them. We need a strong Niner season after the Giants’ 2013 season.

27. sportdude said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

@Chipower9…I’m on board. Hopefully Wilson gets a standing O when he comes out. Then we kick the crap out of him!
    I for one am not rooting for 3rd. 70-73 win teams line up 7th to 13th in draft order. I am rooting against the Dodgers of course. After that all bets are off. I believe that now days the diff between the 8th pick and the 13th can mean something, while finishing 3rd means nothing..

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I see your point sportdude . . . sort of. However, not going 100% all the time goes against every grain or fiber of my being. Plain and simple – it’s quitting and if I knew that any Giants player rolled over during these last few games; or, the manager and/or GM instructed the players to “just play out the string,” I would be really pissed. Actually, more like ashamed that my team quit. 3rd place isn’t 1st or 2nd, but in my mind, it’s better than 4th and definitely better than last.

• snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

At this point, I’m for drafting order as high as possible, as long as the Giants don’t come in last. I remember Dubs fans pooh poohing the Dubs tanking it late in the season 2 seasons ago in order to keep their high draft pick away from Utah. Result = Harrison Barnes. Yes, the draft is way more critical to the NBA than to MLB, but it can’t hurt to have a higher pick. As long as we had a dogmeat season, let’s get as high on the pickingorder as possible so we can draft all those OF prospects…

• blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I disagree completely (as I said to sportdude). I will say it more clearer – I could give a fuck about the pick if it means doing what the Warriors did 2 seasons ago. That was a pathetic, chickenshit move by the Warriors.

• snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Blade, we disagree then, big time. I LOVED what the Warriors did. Finally, they got smart. They played their young guys and lost lost lost, because they were going nowhere anyway. Now, they’ve got a great young forward in Barnes, instead of being able to say they won 3 more games 2 years ago, and lost that pick to Utah. Nobody cares now that they tanked, they care that they’ve got Barnes. They are on the upswing, Barnes being a huge part of it. Maybe, if the Giants were 6th in the 2008 draft, somebody else gets Buster at #5, and these past two WS wins don’t happen. I’m not saying Bochy should play for losses, all I’m saying is play the young guys now, and if you lose, so what? You get to see where you are with the young talent, and you don’t unnecessarily cut your draft position. Just don’t end up last…

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I can see both sides of this argument…and agree, as long as they do not come in LAST, I am all good with it. This season is/was a fucking waste.

28. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I have no problem with playing young guys when there is no shot for a playoff spot. However, those guys and vets better play all out or they are out – off the Giants roster and out of baseball. What the Warriors did – in your own words, “. . . the Dubs tanking it late in the season 2 seasons ago in order to keep their high draft pick away from Utah,” means they gave up. Stern is an idiot, so no surprise he didn’t penalize the Warriors. He should have.

Yeah, we disagree big time.

• salty said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm

W’s did make the Monta Bogut trade late in the year and dumped someone else to be in a better position last yr. The remaining team still played hard, they were just out manned. Quite different deal losing a 1st rd pick entirely in the NBA draft than gaining 3-4 slots in mlb one.

29. twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm

bochy has been playing ‘b’ lineups often. tonight he has perez, adrianza, abreu, and posey. just kidding about posey… ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

sunday the scrubinies fueled one of the best games and wins of the year. but man, they’re shutting guys down for the season like crazy. i hear they’re shutting amy down and bringing cammie over for the san diego series. and the ball dudes are draggin’. there’s talk of golden retrievers to finish this out.

• snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I don’t get why Pence has to play every game. Is he trying to get to Ripkin’s record — in 15 years?…

30. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm

The result of this series could be the 3rd time the Giants have won the season series against the Dodgers, where the Dodgers went to the playoffs.

31. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Wow, a DPlay initiated by a Gmen pitcher. Will wonders never cease?…

32. Birdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hey Twin…can I still get in on the contest?

• twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

your’re in. go to the contest thread for the details on making your picks. deadline to email the wild picks is monday sept 30 8 pm pacific. i had said sunday but monday is better. i’ll check with craig, he’ll update everything, i’m sure.

updated contest entrants: craig, chi, chuck, snarkk, mac, rooster, kat, salty, blade, manny.sandawg.,pawlie, birdog.

• Birdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thanks

33. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm

That type of Pence swing drives me nuts.

34. blade3colorado said, on September 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Speaking of classic swings . . . Panda. Not.

35. Bozo said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Long inning for Cain. Get the man some runs, Giants.

36. twinfan1 said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

enjoy the rest of the game. any new contest entrants can email craig or just post here, i’ll check the blog in the morning.
    night all.

37. Bozo said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I don’t think I’d let Puig get another hit in this series. If I’m the Giants pitchers, I’m hitting that fuck every at bat just like he was an Arod pinata.

38. Bozo said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Tie game.

39. James said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

100 HRs!

40. James said, on September 24, 2013 at 8:45 pm

23 Hrs . . . .

41. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Cannot really tell if Wilson is getting much noise one way or another being in the bullpen. But it looks like we’ll get to see how the crowd reacts bottom of the 8th….

42. Macdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Put in Sanchez for defense!

• chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:23 pm

LMAO…

43. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

WTF…really Buster?

44. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Well, a definite mix. Many on their feet clapping and cheering, and certainly a lot of loud BOOs. Hey, I tip my cap to Wilson for his contributions as a Giant. I would have given him a brief, polite SO, and then, all bets are off.

45. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Come on…light Wilson’s ass up!

46. Rooster said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

The boos definitely outnumbered the cheers for Wilson – but all was quiet as he strolled off the mound.

47. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Well, we got our one run. Are we allowed to get any more?…

• snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Uh, apparently not…

48. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 9:59 pm

FUCK the Dodgers…

49. chipower9 said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm

G’night Flappers…get ‘em tomorrow, Giants!

50. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Cain pitched fine, he pitched well enough to win, if he were on a team that can score. But, I digress. Why, oh why, does he throw Puig a hit me fastball, belt high, down the middle? And, that’s where the target was, and I think that HR was a first pitch, wasn’t it? I don’t understand the idea of that pitch, or its location…

• Rooster said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm

The pitch that Puig hit out was actually on the very outside of the plate – the one Kemp hit out was right down the middle.

• snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm

OK, I looked at it again, twice. Puig’s pitch wasn’t down the middle. It was on the outside third of the plate, above the knees, straight as a string or a slider with no slide, with a “hit me out” sign on it. And, it was the first pitch of the AB…

51. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm

BTW, Pence’s bat is disappearing again…

52. SanDawg said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Went to the Pads game tonight. My final game of this season. Highlight was driving my friend’s Pontiac to the game. I’m not a car guy, but that thing is a 6 speed with a heck of an engine. Pad game still in extra innings.
    1992? Still adjusting to being settled down with my first kid. Living in a tiny house in a cool neighborhood in SD called Allied Gardens. Played hoops in the local gym every Saturday with a great bunch of dudes. Good times.
    I would have bought California Lagers for all of you betting that Kirk Gibson and Barry were never teammates—and I’m usually pretty good on useless trivia like that.

53. salty said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm

And Pablo’s never returned.

54. sportdude said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Just to clarify..I am rooting for the gmen to win. Never roll over, and never root for them to lose. NEVER.
    I am just seeing the upside if they lose, and don’t care where they end up. Horrible year won’t change one damn bit if 3rd or 5th.

55. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Zito — last start of his Giants career tomorrow. I give a standing O just to the idea of that.
    Hallelujah!…

56. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Giants runs in their last 5 games, including tonight: 1, 2, 0, 1, 2.
    Amazingly, they won 2 of the 5…

• Macdog said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm

You beat me to that. I think Pence went 0-for-New York, or close to it.

57. snarkk said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

BTW, Adrianza made a really nice play on Puig in the hole to throw him out. Except, Puig beat it. EZ to see on replay that the ref blew the call, he was safe, his foot was on the bag while the ball was still a foot away from Belt’s glove. I’m telling ya, there are going to be tons, tons of reversed calls at first base next year using replay. About time…

• Rooster said, on September 24, 2013 at 10:54 pm

That might have been a make-up call for the swinging bunt play that Uribe barehanded and threw out a Giant at 1st base – looked like he could have been called safe. IDK, maybe not.

58. imyomamma2 said, on September 27, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Where was I in ’92? Well either at the SF Giants game or watching the SF Giants game on TV we even had color! LOL I was too smart to go to college, thought it would be better to get married a few times & have little boys that would grow up to be SF Giants fans! :)
    And thank you for your posts I always enjoy them!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers