Bye Bye Barry

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 26, 2013

Seven years, in the books. 126 million dollars. Last night he earned his 63rd regular season win with the Giants. It was a very Zen-like move of him to polish off a career that saw Sabean pay him 2 million per win, exactly. But it was his 2 playoff victories that we will remember him for. #rallyzito

I’m gonna stay away from Bochy’s senior moment last night:

bochy

In many ways his career in SF can be summed up in this single picture from last night’s game:

where.

So long, my man. Don’t forget to feed your unicorn regularly. Service the wife as needed. Steer clear of the sharks, they bite ya know. And safe travels…..

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:50 am

Very, very happy for the Zen Master. Also, I will say it again – I am glad the Giants did not pick up Nolasco, who did his “face plant” act at the Phone Park last night. The dude was rocked for six runs on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings. Granted, Nolasco started his Dodgers’ career in epic fashion, but he’s been shellacked for 19 runs (17 earned) over his last three starts. The Dodgers cannot be confident about Nolasco’s prospects heading into the playoffs. Couple that with the Giants doing a beat down on them this season, I don’t see how they have any sort of momentum going into the playoffs. What say you Rooster?

P.S. Love the Clown’s POTD. Hilarious.

2. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:47 am

I am happy too. I really appreciated that he got a start. Would it have been cool for him to start the 6th, maybe face one batter, and then have Bochy remove him so he could get acknowledgement from the crowd? You betcha. Was it an issue to me (the way some are making it to be via Twitter, etc.)? Absolutely not. I heard Bochy’s comments post-game…I am all good with it. The IMPORTANT thing is that Zito got the start and did his part in getting the Giants a win over the hated Bums.

RE: Clown’s post. I commented last night, something to the effect that the couple of times I saw the guy, he was pretty animated…didn’t strike me as “Zumie-like” but WTF…I could be wrong on that one.

Last night’s win also brough extra satisfaction for me. I work with this woman who is a big Packer and Bum fan. For the last couple of years we have been betting Packer-Niner games, and this year, the season series between the Giants-Bums. Zito’s win last night sealed my win on that bet. Thank you Zen Master!

3. willedav said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:31 am

I’m going to disagree with Snarkk on the odds Lincecum returns, and the reason would be none other than Zito himself. I think it’s 70-30 Tim re-signs, exactly because he doesn’t want to go somewhere else, sign a big contract and have that hanging over his head.
    He’s been around Z for a long time. He’s heard all the boos at ATT and I’m certain is aware of how fan base has vilified the guy’s performance vs. the constant reminder of how much he is getting paid.
    I think this is another reason he wouldn’t go back to Seattle under those circumstances. The M’s are 24 games out, and are likely to need a lot more than him to challenge Texas and the A’s. But if they signed him to 4 yrs/$60 mil it would come with big expectations for him and the club.
    Imo, lincecum likes it here (park and weather also being factors), is comfortable with bochy and rags, and doesn’t want to go through the type of shit Zito has should he struggle.

4. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:52 am

Yeah, you’d have to wonder if Timmy would thrive with a team like say the Yankees. Granted, he’d likely get more run support, but he’s a west coast guy who may not want the extra added bullshit that goes along with the hefty contract in a place like NY. The scrutiny is about 50x what it is here from the media.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

The Yankees are entering a long, downward trough, with or without Lincecum.

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

Great thread, Magnus. And don’t forget WS 2012 Game 1, bro.

6. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:14 am

my feelings about his final start here were expressed last night, i’ll quote it for this thread. ‘despite my known feelings towards zito’s performance over the years, he’s a good man and he did come through down the stretch and in the postseason last year. but more impressive to me and what speaks to his mettle as a man was how he handled being left off the 2010 postseason roster. classy- and it’s classy of bochy to sit the kids for his final start. i hope he blows the bums away…’
    and with a quote from barry himself, i’ll just wish him well -
    “When I’m doing well, it’s like I’m in a nice little ballet. Everything is going slow all around me. It’s very peaceful.”

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

…altho’ more and more, I hear announcers and see writers refer to any postseason game, including the WS, as “playoffs.” I don’t get that. [Edit "victory's" to "victories," Magnus; I'd do it for you but not signed in properly]

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:10 am

thanks, typing pre-coffee this morning.

8. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

now- tonight could be lincecum’s final start here in what we hope will be his 90th regular season win as a giant. whether he gets a chance to improve on his 5-2 postseason record in sf remains to be seen. i’m on the fence as to whether , one- that the giants can sign him, two- whether they should. he’s been just good enough that the chances of him agreeing to a qualifying offer ( estimated to be about 14 million) on a one year deal has become doubtful. on the other hand chances of him getting that 5 or 6 year, 20 mill+ per year deal that was once thought to be a lock, is now gone with the wind. the giants aren’t giving that to him and nobody else is either. my guess- 3 years, 45 million- that’s a lot of money for a 3 or 4 starter. and it’s iffy that he’ll ever be better than that. but it’s ‘ifffy’, not a ‘for sure’ either way. if this sounds like i’m vaccilating, it’s because i’m doing just, and that has to be what the front office is doing. he’s high risk/unknown reward. and that sentence ends my wavering on this-if i’m sabean i make the qualifying offer-1 year 14 mill and if he refuses, i’m out.

• chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:39 am

Agree on the 1 year qualifying offer and if he declinces, see ya.

9. Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

Last off season:

Kyle Lohse got 3 years/33mil.
    Edwin Jackson got 4years/52 mil.
    Timmy’s gotta get more than those chumps, right?

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

well, 3 years at 45 million is more per year than either one. and lohse has been far better than timmy over the last two years. and jackson? the white sox front office has earned their recent rep as total dunderheads..
      3 years for timmy is, imo, and as i posted, high risk/unknown reward. that’s why i’d pass on anymore than the qualifying offer for one year. i’m not confident enough in how he’d perform to do more than that. serious question- are you?

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:01 am

my bottom line is that i’m ok with one year at 14 year and not ok at even just 10 million per for 3 years. he hasn’t finished as well as he appeared to be heading.

10. James said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

Over the last 2 years, Timmy would have needed run support beyond what any teams other than the Red Sox and Tigers are currently providing in order to even be a 500 pitcher. Because of the history, the excellent K numbers etc., I think we are missing just what an incredibly huge failure he has been for SF in 2012 and 13.

11. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:41 am

Great thread Flavor. Pawlie mentioned (in regards to Barry) not to forget game 1 of the WS. I would add not to forget game 5 of the NLCS.

And tonight, the possibility that Tim pitches his last game for the Orange and Black. Regardless on where you stand regarding if the Giants should sign him, if he leaves, it will be the end of era for our Giants.

12. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:45 am

Speaking of potential contracts, I just read this sentence and immediately started laughing, “The gap between second baseman Robinson Cano and the New York Yankees on a new contract is enormous, with sources telling ESPN’s Buster Olney that the soon-to-be free agent is seeking approximately $305 million over 10 years.”

Hilarious . . . Even more so, if Cano gets it from the Yankees. So much for the Yankees belt-tightening austerity era.

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:25 am

Having J-Z rep him was a stupid idea from the start.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

You and the numbers, James . . . sheesh! :)

Well, Timmy seems to have turned a corner as this season went on. Sort of. He’s not as bad as last year with the walks and he SEEMS to be getting better at pitching rather than throwing. His early starts (and last year’s) were too reminiscent of Drrrty. Wildly all over the place, and either got walks, K’s or big flies. He has gotten better at managing his pitch count. At least it seems so. I’m sure you got numbers to refute me, but I’m used to that by now!

3/$36 with an option? It ain’t my money.

• chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:59 am

No way in hell I go three years with Tim (for the same reason Twin posted earlier: high risk/unknown reward). I’m not even sure I would go 2 at 26 or 28.

I like the idea of making the qualifying offer (1 year around 14) and seeing where it goes. If he gets significantly more…show him the door while you are telling him “thanks for the memories.”

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Zito pitched well enough last night. He was dancing through the rain drops in the 4th. Implosion was imminent and Bochy pulled him at the right time in my opinion.

Now he can ride off into the sunset with a repaired psyche (hopefully), a WS ring he can be proud of, a smoking hot wife, all the pink pillows that cheddar can buy and the love of jebus apparently. Good luck Barry. Hope you make it past the break.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:12 am

ps. That second picture really does say it all.

15. Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’d be fine with Timmy coming back on the 1-year deal and hope that happens. More than 1 year? No. But I feel strongly that someone will give him at least 3 years/50 mil

• chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I don’t see that kind of coin for 3. If he gets it, more power to him.

16. Nipper said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:30 am

7 years of stupidity on the Giants part. Pure idiocy and yet last year he finally came through big time. I hope it was all worth it and perhaps it was in the final tally. World Series Victory baby!

17. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:56 am

I had to find your comment from last night Flavor about McCann, Gomez, etc.

“Baseball players are idiots. I just watched the Carlos Gomez bomb off Maholm today in Atlanta that triggered a bunch of posturing and ejections.
    Here’s why I support Gomez:
    1) he got hit by Malholm earlier this year
    2) Maholm is always among the league leaders in HBP.
    3) while Gomez did admire his Hr, it’s clear on the audio that McCann screams “fucking run!”. And then Freeman starts visibly talking shit. Gomez wasn’t the first guy to start firing verbal bullets in that dust up
    4) fucking MCCann blocks Gomez from traveling to home plate which is a clear, obvious provocation.
    And Gomez gets ejected but McCann doesn’t?
    That’s total fucking bullshit. And borderline racist. Just my take”

I just viewed the replay and I have to agree about your point regarding McCann not being ejected from the game. Dude intentionally blocks the plate (after screaming “fucking run!”), yet is allowed to play the game. WTF?

Also, probably unbeknownst to you last night, it’s come out that Freeman was ejected for cause, despite his objections . . .

“It’s a tough game and unfortunately I got kicked out in the first inning for doing nothing,” Freeman said. “It’s a little frustrating.”

However, Dana DeMuth, the third base umpire and crew chief, said he didn’t hesitate to eject the first baseman.

“Right when he came in, he went boom with an elbow, which we saw, and it caught the third baseman, (Aramis) Ramirez,” DeMuth said. “That right there is just like throwing a punch. That is overaggressive. That, No. 1, calls for an ejection. What we saw out there was the same as we saw (on video).”

I use to like Freeman, but after this incident, I’ve lost a lot of respect for this liar and shit disturber.

By the by, to Gomez’s credit, he made these two tweets::

Carlos Gomez ✔ @C_Gomez27
    I would like to apologize first to the fans, MLB, my teammates and the Brewers organization as well as the Braves organization.
    9:31 PM – 25 Sep 2013

Carlos Gomez ✔ @C_Gomez27
    The way I carried myself on the field is unacceptable, I should have done better to control myself and set a good example.
    9:32 PM – 25 Sep 2013

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Gomez is having a pretty awesome year. He’s also a maniac in the outfield–a fantastic defender but the dude has absolutely no regard for his body out there.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

These unwritten rules about “showing up” people are just jackassery run amok. If this Maholm dude has been hitting Gomez multiple times in the past, then getting the homer against him and jawing a little bit is about the best you can do as a hitter for payback. I hope the Braves go down fast in the POs. They’ve played in a dogmeat division and have padded their resume accordingly. And, their fans don’t even care…

18. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I pretty much agree with Oracle’s 10:03 — and why I put Tim at 70-30 NOT returning. Somebody or bodies is/are going to offer him a multi-year deal at good money. As in LA Doghairs. Just for shits and grins they would do that — and to screw with the Giants. If the Beard wearing Dodga Blu is a shock to SF fans, what would they do with Tim wearing those colors? Massive strokes all around. He might not do it because of damaging his rep/legend with SF fans, but maybe he doesn’t care about that. He’s got two Cys, two rings, and a no no in SF. Nothing more to prove. If the Giants don’t offer Tim a decent multi-year deal, he’s gone, because somebody else will. And those that are ready to kiss him goodby, then we’ve got Bum, Cain and vapor for a starting 5 going into the hot stove season. Who’s substituting for vapor — Petit, Voggy, and the Groper? That’s pretty high risk with really unknown reward in the bargain department…

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm

‘Petit, Voggy, and the Groper? That’s pretty high risk with really unknown reward in the bargain department…’
      probably 6-8 million for all 3. i’d call that low risk. but i’m picking up the 3 and 4 starters if tim won’t go for the one year, and a ‘co-three’ if he stays. either way, petit and company are vying for the 5 and a long relief role. that’s if i ruled the world.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm

The high risk is not in the budget. All 3 are bargain basement. The high risk is in whether they can perform…

19. zumiee said, on September 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Technically, as Giants fans learned the hard way in 2011, there are no rules about what happens regarding the runner’s scoring rights and catcher’s rights at homeplate. A catcher can block the plate any time he wants to, and the runner can run into the catcher any time he wants to. It’s a free-zone of insanity that MLB doesn’t want to change for some reason.
    McCann was wrong ethically, but not by the letter of the non-existent MLB law regarding homeplate.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm

The umps counted Gomez’ run because the runner is allowed the next base resulting from obstruction. Or, from major jackassery, in McCann’s case…

20. zumiee said, on September 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

That wasn’t me at the game last night. It would have been cool to be there! :)

• Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Too bad Zum, your doppelganger had awesome seats.

21. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Bochy was/is catching a lot of crap today over the airwaves and the twittersphere, apparently, for not letting Zito hit last night and at least starting the 6th inning so he could be taken out to a mass genuflection for his 7-year check cashing prowess. Bochy deserves the minor crapstorm, I’m in Zito’s corner on this. Giants made a big deal out of starting Zito one last time for the fans. So, everything turns just right, meaning a good lead heading into the 6th, and all you have to do is let Zito hit one more time, then take him out at the instant there’s trouble in the 6th, if there is any — or take him out in the 7th if he gets through the 6th. But, no — Bochy PHs for Zito? And, after the game Bochy says he did it because he’s trying to win the game — seriously? You’re 18 or whatever games out with 4 to play and pulling Zito for a PHer in the 5th is key to winning this critical game? Zito was obviously pissed off in the dugout, but said the right things after the game. Definitely a lame move and screw up by Bochy — it hasn’t been a very good year for him…

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

well, it was probably the right call to remove him, he was at 77 pitches and his arm strength can’t be much these days. And I’m glad Bochy is trying to “win the game”, we’re all out in our Quest for 4th.
      But he did fuck that up pretty badly.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Yes, Bochy did F that up. He could have let Zits hit, then pitch to one batter in the 6th regardless of the outcome of that AB. Then pull him from the game to the standing O and doffing of cap. That kind of theater is what the Giants are good at. But, Bochy just botched it, royal. Baer’s jaw probably dropped so far it dislocated when he realized what Bochy did. Maybe they’ll try to fix it by putting him in this weekend in a one batter relief stint or similar — but, that would not be near as good as last nights’ perfect set up for the good-by walk off the mound to the dugout…

22. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

As I said in my 7:47 post, I think it would have been cool for Zito to at least start the 6th and get the acknowledgement, but I think it (all the pissing and whining) was blown outta prorportion.

23. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Holy shit…what took so fucking long?

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

The owners will find another yes-man car salesman type to take his place. Since the owners don’t even want anybody like Cuban in the ownership club, they sure as hell aren’t going to hire anybody with much independent thought as commissioner…

• Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Yeah Chi, why is he waiting until 2015?

• chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I agree Clown…he shoulda stepped down long ago. And I’m afraid you are probably right snarkk (another car salesman yes man will be next).

24. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’d imagine the Giants would offer Tim the qualifying offer but try and negotiate a deal that they think an available, comparable pitcher would take. If Tim declines, They go to that plan B pitcher and get the draft pick when Tim signs elsewhere. That would be my guess anyway, what Timmy ends up doing is anyone guess, including Mr. Tiny Tim.

25. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted the Chris Haft article on Tim. I thought it was pretty cool.

26. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

before zits pitched the 5th i posted that i thought that if he finished the 5th with the lead, bochy should/would let him take the mound for the 6th and then replace him to alllow him to receive the ovation. i was very surprised that he didn’t do that. and geez, at least he could have pinch hit for him with a guy who hits better than barry ;-)

27. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I’ll say this. Regardless of how Tim does tonight, Bochy better pull him off the mound for the potentially last Standing O. Pinch hitting for him won’t sit well at all…

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm

madbum was obviously not real happy that zito got his start. he gave the default ‘i don’t like it but i only work here’ comment. maybe he’s softened it, i haven’t looked.
      “I didn’t really try to argue too much,” Bumgarner said. “They’re the boss. I work for them. I’m just going to do what they say.”

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

My understanding is that they made this decision because of wanting to spare the “wear and tear” on Bum’s arm, less so on giving Zits his farewell start. Am I wrong? No biggie either way in my opinion. Bum should be thankful that the Giant brass only wants him pitching when it matters. I do like that Bum is a competitor and wants to be playing regardless of the Giants place in the standings. One thing I like about this team is that no one is satisfied* with what happened this year and they will all come back better players next year.

* I only question Pablo. Not necessarily his day to day attitude or competitiveness, but his overall lack of conditioning this year, which spoke volumes. Yes, everyone has much to prove next year, but in my opinion, he has the the most to prove.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

IMO, they obviously used the excuse of saving Bum’s young arm from ONE meaningless start to get Zito his last hurrah start. Which makes Bochy’s faux pas of taking Zito out without the hero walk off the mound even more of a head scratcher…

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

i think he’s already begun a better regimen and his defense and speed reflect that. and his offensive numbers were substantially better after the asb. (exept hrs). obviously he’ll need to continue his conditioning progress in the offseason, but i’m encouraged. i haven’t heard if they’ll remove the bone chips in his elbow, that’s bound to help if they do. i’ll just hope that he gets the procedure and does come in in good shape. a final note- even this season he’s in the top 5 in virtually every offensive category among nl third baseman .

28. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm

“I have to see what’s on the table before I dismiss anything,” Timmy said.

Sounds to me like Timmy thinks he’s gone.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I think he’s gone, but like any FA player, he’d be an idiot not to field whatever offers may come his way…

• unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Yeah, the comment sure makes it sound like he expects better offers from teams other than the Giants.

29. zumiee said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Is Zito a major leaguer next season? I’m guessing that he probably is, for a while. Somebody will probably give him a few starts to show what he can or can’t do.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Zum, at least on the road, he has not been a major leaguer THIS season. Somebody will give him some spring training rope next March, then he’ll probably get cut at the end. I’m guessing some AL team…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Dollars to donuts, the cheapo Sherpa Luge Team contacts him and makes it sound like a major signing ala’ their MO with Wilton Lopez (who previously closed for the Astros) and Roy Oswalt.

Fans here never got the word that Oswalt was an old man and the Astros haven’t competed for anything in years. That’s what happens when you rely upon Pony Express and dog sled teams for obtaining your news. :-)

• unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Yeah, I think he’s toast. He may last halfway through ST next year with someone.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

He’ll have $7 million in Giants cash to console him when he gets cut before the 2014 season starts. I wonder how these buyout payments work — will Zito get $7 million in one lump sum payment, or is it paid out through next season like regular paychecks? I wouldn’t mind $7 million (less tax) in one nice check around April 1. Would help with Spring cleaning…

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm

well, the question may be whether he values his pride more than the opportunity to pitch again. that’s not a knock- he’ll take a *massive* paycut wherever he might go. and there might only be a minor contract with an invite to st and a chance to make the big league team. would he even consider any of that?

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm

From the radio reports I’ve heard from various sources, including Kruk, Zito wants to pitch next season. Hey, maybe in the offseason he’ll visit the fountain of arm strength or Lourdes or somewhere else, and come back with a vengeance and an 89 mph heater next year. Or, not…

30. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Not certain Giant Head is around, but good luck in the Flap League GH (if you are lurking around here). Same sentiments toward Jerryaki Sauce, Flavor, and the rest of the teams in the Flap league. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place positions must have changed a dozen times at least last night . . . I finally had to shut down the PC and go to bed or I was going to put my fist through my monitor. I was really surprised to be leading by .5 points this morning when I woke up.

31. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I don’t know if anybody already posted this, but a Dodger fan was stabbed and murdered last night a few blocks away from ATT, about an hour and a half after the game. Looks like an altercation with people wearing Giants gear. And, likely alcohol involved. Crazy, pathetic, and senseless. Add your favorite adjectives…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Saw it snarkk and I agree with everything you said. Sickening that this apparently occurred because of the team colors/clothes this person was wearing. I can’t imagine what this person’s family is going through right now.

32. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF

2. Gregor Blanco (L) LF

3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

7. Tony Abreu (S) 2B

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

33. Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I heard that the Dodger fan was stabbed an hour and a half after the game. That’s a lot different than getting beaten down in MLB parking lot.
    But it’s sad that a giants fan sunk to the level of those hoodlums in LA

• Rooster said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm

The timing of the incident is irrelevant. There are dumbass hoodlums in every city that take a team’s colors and use them as an excuse to perpetrate violence on fans wearing the colors of a rival team – SF is not immune to it – 99% of the fans that go to Dodgers games are good people, just as I’m sure 99% of people who go to AT&T are good people – it’s the 1% you have to watch out for.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Good post. Agree.

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm

The time of it is completely relevant. What happened to Stow happened on Dodger property under, supposedly, Dodger watch.
        Anything can happen on the streets of SF. Nothing should happen to you on your way to a team owned and supervised parking lot

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Rooster can chime in, but I think his point has more to do with an individual’s right to walk the streets of any city, regardless of the locale, e.g., park, ballpark, parking lot, museum, beach, wharf, etc., without being attacked by a hoodlum or gang because of what you are wearing and/or what you look like. It’s senseless regardless of where it occurs.

34. Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:20 pm

This Niner gm is tough to watch….
    I enjoyed watching Zito pitching last night but I’m not going to miss him.
    Timmy is different. I’ll miss Tim. He was the Rockstar, big time all the time, he gave us a swagger as well as 2 WS’s. He almost single handedly dragged the team on his back out of the Bonds Era that was so dead and beaten down at the end. Timmy’s the man…

• Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Not for me. I didn’t realize that I had the NFL channel, so I’m happy.

35. Rooster said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm

BF – that a fan gets beaten senseless or murdered after a sporting event for wearing the colors of *your teams* rival is repulsive – does it really make a big difference if the beating or murder happened a block or two closer or farther from the stadium?

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Yes, it does. I explained that to you already.
      I haven’t followed the details of the story, is it confirmed that this Dodger fan was killed because he was a Dodger fan? And who confirmed this on the streets of SF as the clock was nearly striking midnight?

36. SanDawg said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm

What would your over/under be on the number of games Barry Zito wins in the remainder of his career?
    I would go with (in a Nigel Tufnel voice) “e-leven.”
    I actually think that number is a bit high, but I really wanted to throw in a Tap reference.
    It was Very Zito that he somehow pulled a 5 inning good start out of his ass in his last appearance in a Giant uni. I agree with much of what you all posted before—thanks for your contributions BZ and I wish you well.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

One…

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I think he’s done. I doubt he takes a minor lg deal this Spring. He did all that he could with that arm, the tank is empty. And if the tank isn’t quite empty I don’t think he has the drive to re-start his career right now. And that’s fine, he pitched a long time. #rallyzito
      I’ll never, ever forget those 2 post season gems last year.

37. James said, on September 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

OK, the “Hunter’s Hitters” video puts me solidly in the 4-year contract camp.

38. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Per Scully, Timmy coming in at 93MPH. Grab some pine meat.

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Maybe Scully was mistakenly reciting his age. I’m not a big Scully fan, he might have the worst home run call in history (at least at this point in his career).

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Actually, he sounds fairly lucid for someone 90 (or whatever his age is). Vipboxonline.eu doesn’t let you choose your broadcast team, so stuck with the Dodger’s video feed.

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

lucid, fine. He knows where he is and calls the game. But his HR calls are a joke. I don’t give one whit about his legacy in the game, I find his in-game calls boring as fuck. He still does a decent job after the play has happened or when there’s time to *retrospect the moment*. He can still do that at a HOF level. But that’s about it. Anyone who listens to Scully who claims he’s a HOF announcer at this point in his career is just saying that because of his age and his years of service.

39. paulinasia said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Now that this miserable failure of a championship title defense season is almost over, I’m actually really looking forward to the off-season, seeing how management “retools”, “rebuilds”, “tweaks”, or whatever they end up doing. They (management) earned their money winning the 2 Series; now it’s time to earn it getting back there. If I’m them, I’m excited about it too… but I’m also more puzzled and concerned about the significant drop-off from the likes of Posey. They can’t possibly know how long-term that may or may not be. And if I’m them, I’m giving vouchers to the whole flippin’ team to go to Sandals or Club Med or some such place to just chill and relax for awhile and wash this ugly season out of their hair. And, as much as I’m glad Zito is gone, as for Bochy giving Barry one last home start but NOT giving him the chance to walk off the mound to (IMO) a much-deserved appreciation ovation, Bruce gets TEN vouchers to go clear his head (he has a bigger head, afterall). A major asshole fuck-up move on his part. Go get some rest, Brucie boy. You da man… but you need to come back fresh next year.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Speaking of “fresh,” I continue to admire my man in Asia, who has Maggie Mu and other delectable delights sending him facebook messages like, “Hi teacher , everything ok in the new place ? Hope u have everything great over there , always miss you my handsome teacher.”

I am quite jealous. :-(

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Maggie Mu?
        Sounds like a Bond girl…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, but more important, she looks as NICE as a Bond girl.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

By the by, the quote is not from Maggie, but from another “student” of his.

40. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Pagan’s one extra base mistake again costs Lincecum. The Giants, for some reason, consistently have played poor defense behind him this season…

41. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Bochy said tonight on his pre-game show that he’ll try to find a way to get Zito in a game before the season ends so he can have some kind of a real crowd farewell. He’s definitely feeling the heat of that screw up…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Read your sentence again snarkk . . . Then imagine if this had occurred before 2012. Surreal, huh?

42. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:27 pm

off topic- listened to obama’s speech this morning explaining how easy it will be to enroll in the aca. mr. president-there really are many people who do not have a computer, especially those who don’t have insurance because they can’t afford it. to not tell those folks how to enroll is a terrible and insensitive mistake, imo.

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

if you missed it, obama did a pretty good job about how to enroll on the website, but gave absolutely zero info on how to enroll without web access. in fact, more than 17,000 libraries will have librarians trained to help enroll those without web access. obama should have highlighted that service in his speech- especially because the right wing is up in arms about the library involvement and you bet that they’ll attempt to disrupt it.

43. James said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Mrs. James and the fans around me were nonplussed by the Zito departure last night. I speculated that Zito requested the low key good bye, but apparently not. Strange.

44. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hell of a throw Gregor.

45. paulinasia said, on September 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, James, very strange. He fucked up. “Trying to win the (completely meaningless) game”.. try again, Brucie.

As for Maggie Mu, in case you really want to know, she is one of my former students in China from 6 years ago. I don’t have many students from China commenting on my Face Book, since most of them can’t access it; most of the lovelies that Steve mentioned are from Vietnam. Hundreds of them, in fact. But Maggie (Chinese name, Mu Wen Jun) was just one of those special students that I connected with and we became best friends. I mean, tears streaming down the face best friends whenever we had to say goodbye. She went to England, got her Master’s, met a student from Greece, married him, and is forever a “westerner” now, ignoring her parents pleas about “when are you coming back to China, Wen Jun???”. Um… never…. :-) Good on you, Maggie Mu. Love these kids. Only two of my students ever became lovers or girlfriends, by the way, Steve, so you can stop being jealous. Now, the “god is a girl” girl in Bangkok… different story… :-)

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:13 pm

“Hundreds of them,”

My mind is discombobulated at the moment. :-)

46. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Per Vinny, Timmy just touched 94MPH a few moments ago.

47. Macdog said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Just saw the highlights of Mariano’s final game at Yankee Stadium. I don’t like acknowledging anything even remotely positive about the Yanks, but this is the great Mariano Rivera and he’s been a class player all the way. Mariano came in with 1 out in the 8th and needed only 13 pitches to get the next four outs. With 2 outs in the 9th, Jeter and Pettitte were the ones who came out of the dugout to get Mariano — Pettitte making the sign for a reliever. Much emotion on the mound followed, and as Mariano and Pettitte hugged, it appeared he was crying. My wife swears she saw Jeter mouth, “It’s time to go.” Farewell to one of the all-time greats.

48. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Niners kicking some Rambutt. Bowman has had an awesome game tonight.
    Come on Giants, get Tim a win.

49. James said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Blade, no way is Timmy throwing 94. Maybe in Vinny’s addled senectitude, he occasionally flashes back to a Mike Brito reading for a Welch fastball.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Not throwing James . . . He said “touched” 94 ON ONE PITCH.

• James said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’m very skeptical that Timmy has “touched” 94 in quite a while.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Take it up with Scully.

• James said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I did, see above :-)

50. Macdog said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

BELT YEAH!!!

BELT . . . WTF???

51. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Yes. Tie game.

52. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Yup, good job Mr. Tim.

53. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:18 pm

belt’s ‘mistake’ is a planned play…
    tim did hit 93 twice to puig in the first. his last pitch was 91 mph to ramirez.

54. Macdog said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

PA-GONE!

55. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Yeah baby, Pagan, taking the lead.

56. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Pa-Gone with the timely BIG fly!

57. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

another excellent game. low scoring or not, they’ve played good baseball as the season finishes.
    night all.

58. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Belted….add on…

59. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Tim continues to add to his future payroll. Nice performance tonight, not fantastic, but steady. Giants continue to be unable to score for him. I don’t understand again, why Bochy did not let him hit in the bottom 7th, and then take him out for adulation in the top 8th. He’d thrown just 103 pitches. Certainly another batter would not have hurt. So that Monell could strike out in his place? Not as egregious as last night with Zito, but still, I think the fans would have liked to have him pulled in mid-inning for a sendoff, not just the 7th ended as it did…

60. Macdog said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:51 pm

#55

61. Bozo said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Good game. What was BW doing talking to Larry Baer? Looked like he was complaining about something.

62. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Ballgame…hell yes! This series…season series…and I win my bet! WHOOT!

63. SanDawg said, on September 26, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Just got in and heard the tail end of this one. Super happy for Tim. How was the ovation when he came out? And did Bochy somehow not give Zito the chance to get some final applause? Details please. On the radio, they are saying Wilson and Baer just had a heated conversation on the field.
    Rough night in the SanDawg household as my son (not the one dating Chuck’s daughter) fractured his leg in 2 places in his football game tonight.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Dang, Dawg. Hope your son gets well.
      Yes, last night Bochy pinch hit for Zito leading off in the bottom of the 5th with the Giants ahead 5-2. He hit Kiesch for him, and Kiesch made out, of course. Fans had no idea when Zito ended pitching in the top half of the 5th that he would be coming out, so they had no chance to give him a final ovation. Bochy has taken a minor crapstorm about it. He said he was just trying to win the game, and Zito was done, he hadn’t pitched in several weeks. IMO, Bochy blew it big time. Bochy did similar tonight with Tim. Tim got the Dodgers out in the 7th pretty easily (6 pitches), walked off the field to a good ovation, but I’m not sure everybody figured he was done. 103 pitches. Then, Bochy hit Monell for Tim in the bottom of the inning. I didn’t like that, either. He could have hit Tim, then let him pitch in the 8th until somebody got on, then take him out. Bochy F’d up both times, IMO…

• Flavor said, on September 27, 2013 at 5:23 am

I heard from a buddy last night in Oregon, his son had a pick 6 and in the next quarter fractured his collarbone. Rough sport. Hope Trevor recovers quick. And Chuck’s got another daughter so…..

• blade3colorado said, on September 27, 2013 at 11:08 am

Peter, sorry to hear about Trevor. Hopefully, they are not compound fractures and will mend without any setbacks.

64. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm

San-D, sorry to hear about your son. I truly hope he is OK. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery. Timmy got mad love from the crowd tonight…as he should.

65. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hard to believe that tonight’s game may have been 55′s last start for the Orange and Black. Kind of unreal to think about the team without him. He has been so integral during this resurgence and the two World Series titles.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, I will always have mad love for #55 and what he brought to the Giants.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Ditto, Chi. I will NEVER have bad feelings for Timmy, regardless of where he goes, if he goes elsewhere. A unique Giant, a critical Giant to the 2010 championship. In my top 3 Giants of all time in my 45+ years of being a fan. He pitched his little ass off for my team and helped propel it to its first championship in SF. My hat’s off to Tim Lincecum as long as I live and breathe as a Giants fan…

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Very well said by both of you re Timmy—I’m right there with you.
        Thanks for the well wishes for my son (Trevor). He’s a lineman and apparently another lineman rolled up/fell on him. I’m bummed for him big time, but we’ll get through it.

66. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Puig vs. Tim tonight: 3 ABs, 3 strikeouts.
    Tim OWNED and SCHOOLED the Puig tonight…

• Rooster said, on September 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Puig singled in his 2nd AB.

67. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Damn…I’ve been rolled-up on but didn’t break anything. Well, again…best wishes on his recovery, Dawg.

68. chipower9 said, on September 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Two-time Cy Young Award winner. Three-time strikeout king. Four-time All-Star. Two-time World Series champion. Pitched a no-hitter. Not bad for a skinny kid with long hair and a freaky delivery. Tonight may well be Tim Lincecum’s last start as a San Francisco Giant. Who can blame him and the fans if they get a little emotional?

My apologies if someone else had already posted this earlier…

69. snarkk said, on September 26, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Post-game report: After the last out, Bwheez went over to the Giants dugout area, and got in the face of Baer with an intense conversation. Subject: He wanted his 2012 WS ring, and was PO’d he didn’t have it yet. Bizarre…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers