Race For the PC Heats Up!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 3, 2013

We’ve finally got some data to crunch and as we head into the division series championships, the standings look like this:

FIRST PLACE!

Flavor: 1-1

LAST PLACE :(

Blade: 0-2

BoxHead: 0-2

_______________________________________________

postseason

Please send me BOTH your NLDS and ALDS picks BEFORE the first NLDS Game 1 on Thursday. I want to release everyone’s NLDS/ALDS picks at the same time. ALSO INCLUDE THE NUMBER OF GAMES IN WHICH YOU ARE PREDICTING YOUR TEAM WILL WIN IN. Don’t forget to do this, you will earn an extra point if you nail that cold. So, to be clear, your email to me (and I’m gonna be like the Soup Nazi on this stuff) before the first game on Thursday will look *something* like this:

“Dear Flavor:

I’m picking Pittsburgh in 5, Atlanta in 3, Boston in 4, Oakland in 4

Sincerely, A Card Carrying Member of Flavor Nation (or, insert name here)”

That’s 8 points that are up for grabs in the division series games. So even Blade and Boxhead are still technically in this if they go off in a couple (or all) of those 4 series.

Important Note: I chased after a couple of you for your correct wild card picks because the play-in game was a little confusing and not part of this contest. But my *chasin’ days* are over. If you forget to send me a pick or forget to send in the number of games you think your pick will win in or you forget the number of games they are playing in the series, that’s all on you. I will accept emails CHANGING your picks as long as I receive the email before the first game on Thursday. But try not to do that, it’s annoying to manage.

Second Important Note: Do not send me your picks for the NLCS or the ALCS. Those games haven’t been determined yet. Look at the schedule I’ve posted above. Those are the only games you are to be sending me picks for in this current round.

Final Important Note: the upcoming division series’ are 5 games each. The NLCS and the ALCS are 7 games as is the World Series. And that’s the last time I say that.

Good luck to all!

By the way, this is a cool map of all the hits the blog has taken  over the last 2 months. As I predicted when I first started this blog, when the aliens finally land on earth they will be greeted with a sign that simply says: “Flavor Nation. All Are Welcome…Except Dodger Fans Who Need to Head to 4th Rock from Sun”.

flavornation

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2013 at 6:26 am

“Kurtz: [voiceover] The horror… the horror…”

No way, no how, is the Bladester going to end up in LAST PLACE! Pssst! Kevin come down here. ;-)

2. Nipper said, on October 3, 2013 at 7:10 am

Unca_chuck is 2-0? I don’t believe it. His dog must be picking. Or this contest is FIXED.

• salty said, on October 3, 2013 at 8:01 am

Man, that was my method! Most woofs gets the nod. Playoffs are such a crapshoot.

• James said, on October 3, 2013 at 8:16 am

3. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

Fucking Tribe! Fucking Rays! Goddamn Junior Circuit! They all SUCK BALLS!

So much for my Bucs-Tribe WS.

So it’ll have to be Bucs-A’s (now what I hope for and how I pick are two entirely different things).

4. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thanks for the details…AGAIN, Flav.

And the map is BAD ASS…thanks for sharing. That is awesome that The Flap gets traffic from so many different places. (And all those hits in South East Asia…are those from young ladies that Paul has been “schooling”?)

• Alleykat said, on October 3, 2013 at 9:31 am

My thoughts exactly Chi!!
      Paul has a stable full of young gals workin the internet and well…..

5. zumiee said, on October 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

“There are simply no numbers to rely on. I am adrift and confused, and unable to process the events before me.”

James having an existential crisis?? It cannot be!

6. zumiee said, on October 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

I’m going to be existentialling myself to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival this weekend; I won’t be online with y’all for a few days.
    Have fun with the playoffs and the contest.
    I’m pulling for a Braves/Tigers World Series.

7. Nipper said, on October 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’m envious for those that care.

8. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

I’m pulling for an A’s – Bucs series. 7 games, tense, tight, with the Bucs winning it all.

Of course, that has no bearing on how I will pick in the PC contest. (Insert gay-assed smily face, here.)

9. twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2013 at 11:45 am

there was some discussion yesterday about converting one’s vinyl collection to digital, i want to comment a little further:
    perfectly acceptable digital versions of vinyl recordings can be achieved without spending hundreds of dollars. for under a 100 bucks and some time one can do a nice job …for several hundred dollars and more time, you can do nice job. in either case you will have a digital collection that will- and this is important- will *never* approach the ‘complete’ sounds that your analog vinyl records will. certainly one can spend a *lot* of money- i’ve built digital audio workstations with 8 core cpus, 32 gb of ram, 800 dollar sound cards, etc. for thousands of dollars that some users have used for, among other things, to digitalize vinyl- and the common complaint- the digital doesn’t recapture the original vinyl analog sound.
    my point is that for the average home user, the sound and relative ease of converting their vinyl with a usb turntable and included software, is a very good way to preserve those collections. one can spend from 500 bucks to a thousand and more, and the quality will certainly be improved and probably worth the expense for a rabid audiophile, but for average folks, they’d find the less expensive way to be a very rewarding way to preserve grandpa’s music libary. and for those people who don’t have vinyl recordings- they’re hardly likely to spend a lot of money converting the vinyl that a friend has lent them.

• James said, on October 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm

All very true, TF. The key thing for me – I have about 2000 LPs left – is the metadata, which is a real pain in the ass going the cheapo route.

• twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm

you would not be a candidate for my ‘el cheapo’ solution ;-) seriously, for someone undertaking the chore that you are facing, other options would be a better way to go.

• twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

this was my introduction of a prize for the second place winner- an ion usb turntable with software and user guide. this was mine, i’ve finished my conversions- dozens of albums. i’m sure that the contestants all have or have friends or relatives who have great vinyl collections and would like to preserve them. and if you don’t have a ‘regular’ turntable and just want to listen to those treasures you can do that, too.
      so the turntable with the needed software and user’s guide is now the prize for the second place winner.
      btw( and again)- neither prize must be accepted, it would just go to the next place winner. but it’s just silly to refuse the prize- the pc does not include the monitor, but other than that- everything needed is included and at zero cost to the winner. it can shipped to any location you desire if you don’t want your address known for privacy reasons and it can used as gift.

• Alleykat said, on October 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I still dig my Vinyls…Cranking “Kat Scratch Fever” with speakers so freakin loud,”They blow women’s clothes off”
      Put’s a sly grin to my face. :-)

• twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm

it’s not like converting them destroys them. besides preserving them , it’s pretty cool to play them for hours without getting up. i just use winamp in shuffle mode and lay back.

10. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Just sent my picks in. Nick of Time and all . . . . . .

• Alleykat said, on October 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Your dog you mean huh Chuck.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm

My turntable survived 4 moves, but not, sadly, the 5th move.

12. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Interesting read on breaking down the Giants needs vs. finances available.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Although from Bleacher Report, the writer has done his homework, especially with the hard numbers, as well as his estimates on what the Giants will need to spend to compete with the Dodgers. Frankly, I agree with much of what he wrote, albeit, you can argue the numbers until the cows come home, where you might have a different take. Regardless, he laid it out in a logical way where you can discuss each of his points. Thank you for sharing Chi.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm

For those of us that think they are photographers, here’s some really cool shots.

14. twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm

thank god for project runway tonight…always look forward to what heidi does with her boobs. never seen a woman with boobs for every occasion.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers