The Race for the Free PC Forages On!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 3, 2013

Flavor Note: I didn’t have time to collate this in an orderly way. I cut and pasted what you sent me with some minor editing to make it more readable. The standings won’t need to get adjusted for a week or so. At some point, I’ll re-do this so it’s more readable.

WesFromRoseville!!!!!! : Give me the Cards in 4, Braves in 4, A’s in 5, and RedSox in 5

Rooster:  Dodgers in 4, Cardinals in 5, Red Sox in 5,Tigers in 4

WilcoJoe: Cards, Braves, Rays. and A’s all in 4.

Manny: Pitt in 5 games, Atl  in 5 games, Tampa in 5 games, Oakland in 5 games

Salty: Cards in 5, Dodgers 4, Boston 3,Detroit 4

Pawlie: Tampa Bay over Bos 3-2, Atl over LA 3-1, Pitts over Stl 3-1, Oak over Det 3-2

MacDog: I’m picking Pittsburgh in 4, Atlanta in 5, Boston in 4, Detroit in 5

SanDiggityDawg: Pirates in 4, Braves in 5, Rays in 3, A’s in 5

ChiPower: Cards in 5, Bums in 5, RedSox in 4, Tigers in 5

BirdDog:  St. Louis in 4,LA in 4,Boston in 5,Oakland in 4

Snarkk: Pittsburgh in 5, Atlanta in 5, Rays in 4, Oakland in 4

IrishKevin: Pitts in 5, Boston in 4, Braves in 5, Oakland in 5

Sidewinder: Pirates,dodgers, Rays, and the A’s (he didn’t give me # of games so he misses out on those points)

AllyKat; StLouis over Pittsburgh in 4, LA  over Atlanta in 5, Tampa Bay over Boston in 5, Oakland A’s over Detroit in 4

UncaChuck:  Pittsburgh in 5, Atlanta in 4, Oakland in 4, Red Sox in 4

BoxHead: Dodgers in 4, RedSox in 5,A’s in 4, Cards in 4

Blade: Pitt in 5, Atlanta in 4, Boston in 4, Oakland in 4

SportsDude: A’s in 6, Bosox in 5, St louis, Atlanta

DUNKIRKWANTSREVENGE40 (denny) dodgers in 5, cards in 3, red sox in 5, tigers in 3

Flavor: St Louis in 4, Atlanta in 5, Tampa Bay in 4, Oakland in 5

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on October 3, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Guess it’s a good thing I didn’t pick Bucs in 3…

2. Flavor said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:11 am

Dusty fired. Hardly a surprise.

3. Flavor said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:12 am

4. Nipper said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:41 am

Without being in the contest, I’ll gladly accept the PC. And with a hearty thank you! Old Dusty got canned. They take their baseball seriously in Cincy. Ouch!

5. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 7:01 am

Exactly how I planned it, 0-4 toward the “Quest For PC” contest. Right around now, you guys are all feeling relaxed and vulnerable for the blade onslaught.

Too bad about Dusty, but I really didn’t expect any other decision after his Cueto fiasco . . . He should have removed Mr. “Jello” Cueto after the 2nd home run. Pffffttt! Enjoy your retirement Dusty . . .

6. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2013 at 8:19 am

Did you read something that Johnny B was definitely fired? I saw something that said he would not return to the Reds but there was no indication as to whether Baker was fired or chose to step down. Would not be surprised if they canned him.

Too bad…I have always liked Dusty. I wish him well…and he will get another shot somewhere.

7. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 8:51 am

well, imo the problem with cueto was starting him in the first place. but i doubt that it was his managing decisions got him fired, he and Jocketty reportedly clashed on player issues and dusty was upset that the front office didn’t get help at the deadline…
    he’ll get another gig if he wants one. imo.

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

I agree on the “if he wants one” Twin. Hell, he may say enough of this shit and decide to fill his days with fishing trips, etc.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

Someone tell SportsDude it’s a best of 5 format . . .

9. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:01 am

Flav, Dennis posted this on my blog yesterday morning:

Del Mar Dennis (@DelMarDennis) says:
    October 3, 2013 at 9:08 am (Edit)
    Here are my LDS picks and number of games in parenthesis ().

AL

Sox > Rays (5)
    Tigers > A’s (3)

NL

Dodgers > Braves (5)
    Cards > Pirates (3)

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:12 am

I see. Can you tell him to email me instead of posting his picks at your blog? I’m not gonna be able to edit him in till tomorrow unless someone with those editing skills wants to do it for me

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

i added denny’s picks. add emailed him to email his picks to craig instead of posting them.

10. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

denny did not send me his al and nl division series picks. i did get a email with a link that i checked out on one of my back up systems. something about a clearlake woman earning scads of money with her pc without selling anything. the page was malware central.
    btw, clearlake is one of the scuzziest towns in california. a lot of that came about when the city tried to attract retirees by alowing mobile homes without restrictions. that was a pretty nice deal for the old folks but as they died off, many mobile homes were taken over by druggies and skank whores and meth/coke/heroin dealers. the town is sleaze city- you can buy ‘homes’ for under a hundred grand, homes that you wouldn’t want your hamster live in.

• salty said, on October 4, 2013 at 10:15 am

Sounds like a promising new TV series.;)

11. Flavor said, on October 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Curious what you all think about all these steroid guys getting off suspension and getting immediately inserted on to their teams playoff rosters. I was 100% in favor of NOT putting Melky on last yr but that was mostly because of his absurd behavior after he got popped (ie, basically calling Baggs a fool, the fake website and then bailing completely on the team without even talking to them)
    But Cruz and Peralta are a little different mostly just cause they avoided all of the buffoonery that Melky engaged in.

• Rooster said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:03 am

I was glad to see Nelson Cruz make the last out in the game to eliminate Texas form the playoffs.
      I’d also be happy to see Peralta make the last out to eliminate Detroit from the playoffs.

• Alleykat said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:34 am

Agree Rooster…
        Throw in a heater at Perala’s ribs as well.Then pick him off 1st.

• salty said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thrown by Mr Clean Colon?

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

I don’t have a philosophical problem with them coming back. I do have a problem with them not being ready to play, and nonetheless getting inserted into the lineup in a playoff situation. I would really have a problem with it if I were one of the guys that took his place during his suspension and helped the team win a playoff spot, then got sat down for crunch time in the playoffs…

12. Alleykat said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:07 am

Well Baker starting Cueto was a joke to start with.Another dumb hunch on his part.
    Wonder if he called WKRP in Cinn and asked Venus Flytrap 1st who to pitch?

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I would have asked Jennifer, she was much better connected…

13. snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

Very funny thing re: Breaking Bad.
    Do NOT link to this if you have not seen the last episode…

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:50 am

I just finished episode 5 of season 1 . . . “HEY, IT’S MY TURN FOR THE FUCKING TALKING PILLOW.”

Hilarious.

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:52 am

I told you it would be good… ;)
        Enjoy the comedic bits. As it goes along, it gets just a teeny bit darker…

14. snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

Jockety told the press after the game that Dusty would be coming back. I guess he thought about it a little more. I wonder if they’ll go after a real worker type like Wotus, or they need a name? Firing Dusty means they’ll be paying two guys to manage next year, and Cincy is kinda cheap…

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm

round up the usual suspects. and if it goes the way these things usually go, the new manager will either be the ‘bad cop’ type and/or a toadie aka geren-type. and as you say- the, uh, ‘cheap-type”…

• Nipper said, on October 4, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Cheap is a good option.

15. Alleykat said, on October 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Well there was a report(ABC news) that Jocketty wanted to fire hitting coach Brooks Jacoby,and Baker told him “hey man nothin Brooks has done deserves that”
    If you want to let him go,maybe you should let me go as well.
    Guess Jocketty said well ok then Dusty..
    I give Dusty credit for stickin up for Brooks though,that is class.

I agree with others here,that he can get another gig if he wants it,though he might be burned out.Fans were turning on him late in the season,how they took a dive late and he was even getting hate mail,so sad that has to happen.

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm

that’s typical- the hitting coach goes because the guys slumped in the final week. and here i thought it was because the hitters choked when the ‘chips were down’. or was it because jacoby is a dunderhead *and* the boys choked ? now i know i’ve said this before and absolutely no one agrees with me- the hitting coach has very little to do with a how his guys hit and no club is interested in hiring one who might actually, you know, *coach*. the main function of the hitting coach is to be the fall guy when the team isn’t ready to can the manager.

16. Chipower9 said, on October 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I know the fat lady has not sung, but it is looking like the Bucs even the series with the Redbirds…

17. Rooster said, on October 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I will remember Dusty’s tenure in Cincy for the stupid, smart-ass grin he had on his face when Brandon Phillips kept screaming at that reporter that he was a “Fat fuck”. I understand that Dusty was so-called “having his players back” but Phillips was WAY out of line and showed a complete lack of respect to Dusty for barging in on his press conference with reporters and then proceeding to cuss out a reporter for reporting the facts (some stats on Phillips) – once was bad enough, but for Phillips to go on and on repeating that the reporter was a “Fat fuck” about 4 times was ridiculous – and through the whole thing Dusty just sat there with his stoopid, shit-eating grin on his face.

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

capon- why don’t you go have dinner early ;-)
      look, phillips goes off a *lot*. maybe baker should have chastised phillips but i think that should be for the front office to handle. knowing baker’s m.o. from when he was here, he probably talked to brandon privately about it.

18. Irish Kevin said, on October 4, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Kruk on KNBR this morning thinks that if Mattingly fails that Dusty might be inline for the Dodgers. Kruk also thinks Mattingly will be in the running for Manager of the year.

19. salty said, on October 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Moore for TB is having a “Lincecum” 4th.

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

or maybe that would be a ‘lincecum-cain-vogelsong-zito’ fourth :-(

20. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm

hey, i have a novel idea- how about a good baseball game this week?

21. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm

on the other hand, an embarrassment of riches sunday- cards/bucs- bums/braves – seahawks/colts- chiefs/titans- denver/dallas- niners/texans- raiders/chargers. all on local tv. even my set up can’t handle all that. let’s see. maybe it can: chiefs, bucs, niners, raiders live. record seahawks, broncos, bums.
    it works! what might not work- talking merna into moving back in ;-)

22. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Baker is great in the regular season and that’s his problem in a nutshell – he manages in the postseason like he’s still got 161 games left. In short, he doesn’t manage with a sense of urgency; and, we saw that again, with his handling of Cueto being allowed to come out for the 4th inning after the shit had already hit the fan.

Want more? Per ESPN, “Go back to last year’s division series loss to the Giants. Yes, Cueto’s injury in the first game hurt the Reds, but they lost Game 3 in 10 innings as Aroldis Chapman pitched just one inning (the ninth) and threw 15 pitches. Meanwhile, Sergio Romo threw two innings for the Giants and got the win. In Game 4, Bruce Bochy yanked Barry Zito in the third inning; Baker left Mike Leake in to allow five runs, including two in the fifth. The Giants won 8-3. OK, that wasn’t a must-win game, but Game 5 was. Mat Latos gave up six runs in the fifth inning, capped by Buster Posey’s two-out grand slam.”

Baker got fired for cause and I might be the Lone Ranger here, but in my opinion, a GM would have to be an imbecile to allow Dusty to manage again. The only scenario in which I would give him the “keys” to a managerial job, would be if the team was “Yugo” like . . . Umm, the Colorado Sherpas or some other flotsam team. I just don’t think a “Ferrari” type team like the Yankees – in other words, someone a near lock for a playoff spot – would allow him to manage their team.

By the by, in fairness to Dusty, I don’t believe he had too many other choices besides starting Cueto . . . His main man, Matt Latos – had an elbow/arm injury and consequently, there really wasn’t a better choice.

23. Alleykat said, on October 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Dusty Baker is the Marty Schotteheimer of MLB.

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Exactly. Go back even to Baker’s ill-fated 2003 Cubs, when Kerry Wood was left in to allow seven Marlins runs in Game 7 of the NLCS. Who allows a starting pitcher to give up seven runs in a decisive game? Oh . . . Wait! Baker.

24. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

well, i disagree about baker and i’ve already gone into that but jocketty did virtually nothing to help the the team at the deadline. as to leaving pitchers in too long, we always know the outcome when a decision doesn’t work out, the outcome of a the decision *not* made is unknown.

25. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm

‘Flavor said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:12 am (Edit)
    Also, for those playing in the PC contest, can you email me if you AREN’T going to want the PC if you win? you know, like if you’re just playing for the love of the W? Thanks’

also please copy to my email . this will not affect the prize. but with zero feedback on the second place prize, i’ve canceled that prize.

26. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I haven’t seen Gentleman Ed around here in quite awhile . . . He is having a birthday tomorrow and here is hoping the Edster has an outrageous and fun day planned on his special day in jolly old England.

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I sent him his shirt about 10 days ago. Maybe he was so floored by it, he hasn’t recovered… ;)
      BTW, I’m having a Bday tomorrow, too. Heading to Sonoma with Mrs. Snarkk for some wine tasting and a nice Autumn day in the wine country. It’s a usual deal for my Bday. Hope to see some “crush” activity, the Cabs and Syrah and other reds should be coming in. That’s always a cool thing to see…

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Congrats Tom! It sounds like Mrs. Snarkk has a great day planned for your b day.

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Uh, no. I’m planning it.
        If I let Mrs. snarkk plan it, I wouldn’t be assured of getting to do the things I like to do… ;)

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm

happy birthday. are you staying to eat in the sonoma wine country?

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Thanks, yes, tentatively planning an early dinner in/around Sonoma city. Unless we end up in St. Helena, in which case we’d try Tra Vigne, not because it’s that great anymore, but more out of a sentimental reason. We have a reservation at a place that looked OK in Sonoma city — LaSalette, a Portoguese/tapas kind of place. But, I’m open to suggestion…

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm

wow, the turnover is astounding. cindy pawlcyn has had many restaurants in sf and in the napa and sonoma wine countries. i’ve eaten at many and they’ve all been excellent. she has a restaurant in st. helena, ‘cindy’s backstreet kitchen’. here’s a menu:

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm

That one looks pretty good. If we’re in St. Helena, we’ll check it out. The have hanger steak entree, which you don’t see a lot. You have to know what you’re doing to do that cut of meat well, but if it’s a good cut, I love hanger steak – very tasty. First one I ever had was in Philly about 5 years ago. Somebody told me to check out a particular bar, and I found it on a corner walking around in a neighborhood that was pretty dicey, about 7 or 8 blocks away from the Independence Hall – about 1/2 the storefronts were empty/vacant. Hotter than hell and humid late afternoon. Walked in, sat at the bar, cooled off, and it was a cool place. I ordered the hanger steak. Awesome. And, I didn’t get mugged walking back to my hotel, either…

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm

the hanger steak used to be known as the ‘butcher’s steak’. it was said that the butcher kept that cut for himself, both because it’s so good but also because there’s only one ‘hanging tender’ on the steer, not enough to display. with ‘boxed beef’ now, it’s more readily obtainable. as you say, it has to be cooked (and sliced) properly.

• twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm

i’d probably order the wood oven duck, merna would go for whatever the fresh fish was, and we’d share the small plate calamari…

27. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:17 pm

i don’t know if this has mentioned, but the giants had sabean, felipe alou, and pat burrell in the dr to watch jose abreu.

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I hope they brought a big checkbook, too.
      Is Felipe Alou still considered someone that is sharp, with it, and plugged in to who is good and who isn’t among the Caribbean baseball agents, academies, etc?…

28. Macdog said, on October 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm

FearTheChop!

29. twinfan1 said, on October 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm

g’night folks.

30. Alleykat said, on October 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Wow what a lift Cespedes just gave the A’s and their fans who are going nuts with that Bomb.A’s back in now Scherzer’s green and brown eyes just turned bloodshot.

31. Macdog said, on October 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I see the Tigers just ended their 4-game postseason losing streak.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers