When a Manager is Afraid to Pull the Trigger

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 8, 2013

Tough times for Fredi Gonzalez in Atlanta right now. He’s got the second coming of Mariano Rivera greased and ready in the bullpen and all Kimbrel can do is pace around the bullpen with a ball in his glove. In an elimination game, Gonzalez had a decision to make: use the best closer in the game for a 2 inning save or just keep everyone in their *role* and do what his book tells him to do.

Kimbrel had pitched once in the playoffs, a 1.1 inning save last Friday night in Atlanta. He was needed to come in and relieve an ineffective David Carpenter, the same pitcher Gonzalez had pitching the 8th inning last night. Kimbrel had pitched exactly 3.1 innings in the last 13 days. He was hardly overworked. Last night, as he stood in the bullpen with his hands on his hips waiting for a call that never came, he looked like a man begging to work.

Carpenter had a very nice year for the Braves but he’s no Craig Kimbrel. And with everything on the line, you don’t leave it up to David Carpenter et al. You bring in The Great Kimbrel…

Of course, if you have read Baseball’s Starry Night, you’ll know that not even The Great Kimbrel is immune to failure.

Sadly, the Dodgers have moved on to the NLCS–a round I thought they’d all be watching on tv. So far, this post season sucks.

About these ads

1. willedav said, on October 8, 2013 at 6:55 am

Salt’s comment last night about LA still having Greinke to go to if necessary makes a lot of sense. Obviously these 2 and Ryu are whom LA trusts and they will be rested enough for next series even if it goes 7.
    Kimbrel there is a tough call tho Flav—do you think bochy would use Romo to get 6 outs? I don’t, and I think most mgrs. would have played it same way and go with a set up guy they trust.
    If uribe had gotten the bunt down, and Puig is on 3b with one out I could see it but even that seems like a reach to me. My guess Gonzalez figured worst case scenario dodgers would have tied the game and he’d still have Kimbrel. Was Kimbrel warming up after Puig’s hit?

2. chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 7:54 am

As much as it pained me to type it when I sent in my picks, I had the Bums in this series (unfortunately, they closed the deal a game early – I had them in 5). Figures the fuckers would find some way to screw with my picks.

I agree with WillieD…I doubt most managers bring in their closer for six outs. Regardless, I just did not see the Braves having what it would take to win this series.

• Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:45 am

Braves tomahawked!

• Bozo said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

:poop:

3. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:29 am

It pained me as well Chi,took the Bums as well in 5.What pains me more Rooster took them in 4.
    Atlanta with their stupid ass tomahawk chop,was the main reason I couldnt take them.Bums to deep in SP influenced me as well.But still Fuckem!!!

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

Yeah, the pitching was the main kicker for me, Kat. And I agree whole-heartedly…Fuck Them!

• Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:46 am

BLEEP!

4. Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:42 am

I refuse to watch the Dodgers. Just can’t do it. Can’t think of it!

• SanDawg said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

This is my favorite Nipper post of all time. I feel the same way. Don’t watch, listen, or want to see highlights. Just hope they lose.

5. Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

In 42 postseason saves, Mariano Rivera had 14 six out saves.

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

Mariano Rivera was the exception, certainly not the norm. Regular season or post season…6 out saves are not the norm.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

Understood – not implying it to be the norm – simply that, when and if the situation calls for it, it definitely CAN be done.

6. Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

well, this was an elimination game for the braves. Didn’t Botchy have everybody and their mother in the pullben in 2013 when they were like down 0-3 in a playoff series? come on Bring the dude in, every available starter, reliever should have been down in the BP.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

Mistake it was when the Giants were down 1-3.

7. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

uribe saved donnie dunderhead for two dumb decisions- pitching kershaw on 3 days rest and having uribe try to bunt. kershaw was great but having to limit him to 6 innings because of the short rest and 124 pitches in game 1 could very well cost of them the game-and the series- if not for juan’s ‘save’. i understand salty’s point about greinke –it made the kershaw decision *defendable*- but imo, still wrong. donnie puddinghead owes uribe- big time. btw, the announcer’s comments about kasten and colletti having a hand in the decision makes donnie look worse- a manager should not be looking to the front office for help on game decisions. and it’s worse still if donnie has to kick the can upstairs for important game decisions.
    craig’s comments about kimbrel make a lot of sense but i agree with the thinking that you don’t ask of kimbrel to do what he’s never done.
    hey, if you woke up from a 3 year coma and saw uribe with the game winning homer and wilson with the win you might want to ask the doc to put you back under. speaking of ‘the beard’ , does anyone doubt he’ll be closing somewhere next year? whether one thinks closers are overrated or not- he’s going to be sought after. i forget who the announcers were for his first game in the nlds but the idiots were talking about his fastball only hitting 90 now- listen up, boys- that was his slider . he’s throwing than harder than he has since 2010- 94 to 96
    with both of his fastballs. he’s hit 95 with the two-seam and that’s just sick..even sicker? kimbrel throws a *knuckle curve* 89/90…

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:03 am

Agree about Wilson, Michael. I was just talking about him with a couple of guys at work…we both agree we would take him back next year…he would close, and Romo goes back to his set-up role. But I think there is just too much bad blood that he would never come back to SF.

• Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m tired of the beard. Goodbye and good luck.

8. salty said, on October 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

Pitts or Stl, might have to give the edge to LA. As long as their Defense doesn’t blow it.
    With Crawford coming alive, Hanley AGon Puig and Uribe…dude brings it this time of year. Career .293/55hrs/.882 ops in Sept/Oct.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

Uribe an ultimate redemption story – guy stunk it up badly for the 1st two years of his FA contract and was ready to be tarred and feathered before being DFA’d last season – was passed up for the starting third base job out of ST this season in favor of Luis Cruz – now he’s taking curtain calls.
      And although his two *bad* years were with Boston, same story with Carl Crawford.

• Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Back crowing again, I suppose?

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

that’s regular season. in postseason, he’s 5 hr 20 rbi in 34 games. .231 ba .278 obp .688 ops. but he does seem to come up with some big ones in the postseason- his ba was awful in the 2010 postseason for us- 7 for 51- but a game winner in the postseason makes everyone forget the ‘other stuff”. but that’s the beauty of playoff baseball-a guy doesn’t have to do much if it comes at the ‘right’ time. we’re talking 5 and 7 game series’. hall of famers can become goats and journeymen can be hall of famers in their brief shining moments. a single stolen base has made dave roberts a legend in postseason lore. this is a wonderful game..

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

One more thing about Uribe – he has played GG caliber defense at the hot corner all season long.

• Alleykat said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

Steven Vogt come on as a playoff hero right now Michael.
        So agree anyone anytime can have their glory.
        Though what Sonny Gray did against Verlander in a must win game gets alot of praise from me.Just a lights out performace by a rook, who showed the Tigers don’t try and intimadate me Torri Hunter,i will blow you away with my stuff and he did.

9. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

Weezy isn’t staying in LA if he isn’t closing. Bring him back, trade Romo, and use Casilla in the set-up role.

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:04 am

I’m down with that, but don’t see it happening…see my 10:03 response to Twin.

• unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

Money heals all wounds. I think Wilson would love to come back.

10. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:05 am

Fuck. It pains me to think LA is going to make it to the World Series, let alone win it.

Go Buccos!!!

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:08 am

I imagine St. Loo, with Wainwright and HFA, would be the tougher of the two vs. the Dodgers.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:09 am

And that Wacha kid, I might add.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

pittsburgh, by just a smidgeon, has the best postseason era of the 3 teams. and they’re virtually the same as the bums in pitching in the regular season. and while liriano can blow up, he’s also a guy who can get on a virtually unhittable roll. offensively, they scored just 15 runs less than the bums in the regular season, and they hit more hrs.defensively the teams are equal. bums/bucs is a very even match up. now the buccos have to get there. they have to get by wainwright.
        btw, if the cards do win, wainwright would not pitch until game 3 in la..

• unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

I can’t stand St Louis nearly as much as I can’t stand LA. Fuck ‘em both.

11. Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:23 am

twin, the decision to start Kershaw on 3 days rest actually ends up being a good one – because it worked. I admit I didn’t think it was a good move at first either. But with better defense behind him, Kershaw finishes the 6th inning, up 2-0 having only thrown @ 71 pitches instead of 91. Errors by Gonzalez and M. Ellis gave the Braves 4 extra outs and led directly to two unearned runs.
    Kershaw looked sharper in game 4 on 3 days rest than he did in game 1 on regular rest – that right there makes the decision defensible.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 10:55 am

decisions aren’t judged only by the outcome. i’ve had to explain this too often, so i’m not doing it again. just a quick recap of an inarguable fact- the players can make a poor decision work- i.e. uribe’s game winner.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Yeah – I remember your argument against “If it ends up working, it’s a good move; and if it fails, it’s a bad move” – one of the reasons I put that in there.

Hey, speaking of St Loo – whatever happened to DJ Loo? That guy used to come up with some great shit.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:37 am

Loo went a little crazy, started pretending he was a woman named *Anita* and then said a bunch of over-the-top stuff that I warned him about and he wouldn’t stop. He’s not banned technically but we both decided it was time for him to move on.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hmmm, strange – that’s too bad – he used to have some really lines.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

“great lines”

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

you’re confused- many good decisions can have a poor outcome- for instance, it’s not a bad decision for girardi to use rivera to protect a lead in the ninth- even if rivera fails. on the hand, it’s was a poor decision for donnie dunderhead to walk reed johnson to get to heyward- regardless of the outcome. are you grasping what i’m getting to- the decision to use rivera was sound regardless of whether it worked. puddinghead’s decision to walk johnson was poor thinking- period. bad decisions by the manager can be salvaged by an outcome that he had no right to expect, just as good ones can be sabotaged by an outcome that was correctly determined to be unlikely.

• Alleykat said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

Well considering Ricky” Knuclehead” Nolasco was hammered for 17 runs in his last 3 starts probably was the right decision.So yes I agree Rooster.

12. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yanks need a closer. Wilson will be available. He’d love the spotlight…

13. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 am

as we saw, wilson is getting even more nutso- all the better. get him back, sabes.

14. salty said, on October 8, 2013 at 11:50 am

I disagree about Wilson. Can’t see it happening. I dont think he wants to return and G’s ain’t taking the risk. Too much baggage now. The idiotic display with Baer was the capper. Time to move on, IMO.

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I agree, Kat…but I think Sabes and crew would be remiss to not at least kick the tires.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

i don’t think it’s happening either. but salty, imo, the scene with baer would have zero impact whether he came here or not. baer and wilson would french kiss with a reach around if the money was right for both… the beard has probably surpassed all but a very few starting pitching free agents. i would still do it because it makes trading belt and romo even more sensible. they’re already our best and only trade chips to get a true difference maker in an ofer or starting pitcher.again, imo.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm

No, I get it – the point you made above, twin – that’s what I was saying in my comment above about remembering your argument AGAINST….
        And the picture was just ’cause you were pining for Wilson, so I provided an up-to-tdate picture of him for you.
        Geeze, touchy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:38 pm

capon- wilson has given up a whole *one* run in 21 appearances for la ( including the postseason ) and you give a shit about his appearance ?

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I don’t give a shit what he looks like – what gives you any idea that I do?

15. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

The main reason I like it is we can then trade someone of value. Namely Romo.

16. zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm

What was up with Brian McCann?? You have to go back to the Black Sox to find a player that looked so much like they were throwing the game. Endlessly taking called strikes with the same blank non-intelligent non-urgent look that G.W. Bush got when he was giving statements about Hurricane Katrina. It’s the kind of thing that is infuriating to watch.

17. zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm

The Kimbrel thing….it’s like the Strasburg thing in Wasington.
    If the Giants had won the Series in 2002, then blowing out Nen’s arm would have been seen as the right move by fans. Are any fans sorry that the Giants blew out Wilson’s arm in 2010? No.
    The fans would say GO FOR IT. Try to win the title NOW. And I would never blame fans for feeling that way. You never know what will happen the next season. Ask the Nationals.

• Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

And like I said above – Mariano Rivera saved a postseason game FOURTEEN times by getting six outs – and I’m not an any way implying that this is the norm – just saying that when and if the situation calls for it, it definitely CAN be done.

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I agree. The goal is to win the World Series. Everything else is secondary. Some will disagree with that. I get that. But these players are very well paid to make their physical sacrifices. That’s pro sports.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm

gonzales *was* going for it- by using his guys in the situations he had reason to believe that they would succeed. one poor outing by carpenter was hardly reason to think he couldn’t do the job. aND comparing kimbrel’s situation to rivera doesn’t wash- rivera had pitched 2 innings *many* times before he ever was asked to get a 2 inning save in the postseason. kimbrel has pitched 2 innings just twice in 4 years of the regular season, once in the 2010 playoffs, and never in the last two years.

18. zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Two awful pitches in that 8th inning: a 2-2 fastball down the middle to Puig, called by ‘Black Sox’ McCann, and then, obviously, the 2-2 giant hanging curveball to Uribe. None of those sequences made any sense.
    In fact, people will now be wondering why they just didn’t groove a pitch to Uribe when he was in bunting mode, and willing to give an out.

• unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The pitcher has to be in on it as well. It was his location that was the real problem.

19. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 1:38 pm

the nats were right, imo, not to risk strasburg’s future. as far as nen, righetti said ‘”I remember we were trying, Sabes [general manager Brian Sabean] was trying, to bring someone else in so we could give Robbie a break, I wished we could have protected him more.”‘ but of course they could have protected him- they cut a faustian bargain and sacrificed his arm for a shot at the world series. if nen made the call himself and chose not to tell, it would be one thing, but they knew about it since before the all-star break and knew it was *bad*. they *asked* him to pitch despite knowing he had a serious problem with his arm.conte claimed that nen couldn’t make it worse by pitching- even though conte also said ‘beginning with about six weeks to go in the season, he had a real problem with velocity, and he was having a hard time coming back each day.’ i realize that there’s an opposing on view on this but i would not be one to think a team should go for it no matter the cost to a player’s future. and when it all shook out- they lost that world series, they lost at least 18 milllion that they owed him for the rest of his contract, nen lost at least 2 more years of pitching,and lost another chance at the post season… the devil won…

• Nipper said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:24 pm

The devil is in the details.

20. Rooster said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Coco Crisp!!!

21. Bozo said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Loved Nen. Also, other quotes from the ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nen&num=3

“Was pitching with it making it worse? It’s hard to know for sure, though Nen says: “I’m pretty sure I was doing more and more damage to it as we went along.” Pitching certainly made it more painful. The shoulder needed rest. “We saw a labrum tear in the MRI, and we [Conte and Giants manager Dusty Baker] talked to him about shutting it down,” Conte says. “At a certain point, seeing what he was going through physically, it was like watching a prize fighter who’s getting teed-up, you know? We were like, ‘Let’s call it and go home.'”

Nen was having none of it. He saved nine games in September, the most he’d saved in any one month all season, striking out 14 in 10 innings. “It was just guts,” Righetti says. “He got more precise with his location.” Then, in the postseason, when the Giants turned off the speed gun in Pac Bell (now SBC) Park because he’d lost so much on the fastball, he somehow took his focus up a notch, registering seven saves in helping his club get past Atlanta and St. Louis, and on to the World Series and Anaheim.
    Why did he do it?
    Why, two years into a four-year contract, and with every nerve ending in his throwing shoulder screaming at him to take a seat, did he go down flinging, right up until that 2-1 pitch to Glaus?
    It was a bunch of things …
    It was the responsibility and the step-up he felt his big-ticket contract demanded.
    It was that they asked him to.
    It was a promise he made to himself back in the Triple-A days, when bone spurs and a stretched nerve cost him the better part of three seasons, to stay off the DL and in the action, at all costs.
    It was his boys being on a roll, going 46-28 in the second half, including 18-7 in their last 25. You ignore what your body is saying at a time like that; you forget how cranky your shoulder is. Your heart is the one doing the driving. “It was a phenomenal time,” Nen says. “I kept imagining getting the final outs of every game and series, and it just kept happening.”

It was the right time of year. “They were in the middle of a pennant race,” Jendi, his wife, says. “There was just no way he would give up pitching then.”
    It was the sense he had, never spoken but always clung to, that in this day and age, the doctors could fix him up when the season was over, no matter what he did. “You see what they do with Tommy John surgeries and things now,” he says, “and you feel like there’s nothing they can’t do, you know?”

Was it worth it?

Nen says, quickly, with the automatic voice of a man halfway trying to convince himself that it’s true, that he has no regrets. “I was fortunate to get to play in the big leagues, and I was fortunate enough to be in the All-Star Game three times, and I was fortunate enough to get a World Series ring and to play in two World Series,” he says. “Really, I was grateful for everything I got.” “

22. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm

craig will probably update standings after the division series’… rooster, salty, birddog, and boxhead all had the bums in 4. chi, kat, and denny got the bums, but in 5. sidewinder got the bums but did not pick how games it would take.

23. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm

If you can stand it, there’s some good photos out there of Koufax congratulating Kershaw after the game last night. Kershaw looks like the inheritor of the Koufax legend for the Doghairs. He’s got a bit to go yet, but barring injury, he should make a strong push at a similar legend. I dislike LA, but I do like excellence and class, that’s why I’ve never disliked Koufax, but respected him. A multi-Cy Young winner pitching against guys like Mays and Musial and Aaron and Banks and Matthews and Clemente, if he pitched today, he’d easily be a multi-Cy Young winner. Those two are the prime examples of lefty excellence from today and yesteryear…

24. zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I’d forgotten that Nen was on the ’97 Marlins. Very cool. He’s got a ring.
    The two b’s in Robb is kind of annoying, though. :) :)

25. zumiee said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Sorry, but I don’t get the reasoning that “Kimbrel had never done it.” If he’d gone out and done it last night, then….guess what, he’s now done it. Koufax had probably never pitched on two days rest when he did that in the World Series. Kimbrel could have been used in the 8th, especially against Puig and Uribe, the two big power threats in the bottom half of the lineup, and then if the pitch count was too ridiculous for the ninth, then so be it, make a change. They could have had Medlin ready for the ninth. All hands on deck. Worry about Game 5 later.
    The bottom line is, they blew a one-run lead late in the elimination game, and never used arguably the best relief pitcher in the National League.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm

if gonzalez had used kimbrel and kimbrel failed, the decision would be equally if not more criticized. in that respect it was lose-lose for fredi with those second guessing the decision. to be clear, i’m *not* saying that there’s not a reasonable opposing argument, i am saying it was far from unreasonable for gonzales to play it the way that had been successful for 162 games. this *is* a case that the outcome does not make the decision wrong. imo. but as always,we know the outcome, a luxury that the manager didn’t have. a cardinal rule in managing, in any business, is putting your people in situations where they’re most likely to be successful. i think fredi did that.

26. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

nen’s sacrifice was admirable, the team’s willingness to risk his future was not. it’s not the players call to play despite injury- these men are competitors, they’ve done this all their lives… it’s up to the team management to make the decision and that decision *has* to be in the interest of the player’s health, *not* to win at any cost.

27. Bozo said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

“You Gotta Like These Kids”
    According to the McCovey Chronicles, Baseball America is releasing their league-by-league prospect lists, and the Giants have 30 percent of the California League list, including the entire San Jose rotation.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

We know the Giants have a lot of pitching prospects down there. The question is whether any of them might make it through maybe 10 AA starts early on next season, show the ability to handle higher competition, and be brought up right away to the big club. I don’t see why not. Shades of Bum and Cain and Tim. Crick is going to be in the AFL, I guess he is now, so we’ll see how that goes. If one of them is blowing away AA competition on a regular basis, I wouldn’t waste any more of the arm down there. The A’s have made a good living the last two seasons on bringing up young arms…

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm

i think that the afl season begins today. crick, cody hall, derek law, and adalberto mejia are the pitchers with the scorpions. susac,villalona, and jarrett parker are the position players.
        snarkk- the giants have done rather well with their young pitchers as well. two championships and one with the only all homegrown rotation in ws history…

28. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I know I like the bunt more than most. With Cabrera obviously injured over there at third, if I were the A’s I’d bunt the crap out of him. I know the A’s rely on the dinger a lot, but I’d definitely be bunting some of the guys down in the order. Cabrera can barely move, clearly in pain over there whenever he makes a play. Playoffs are a time to take advantage of whatever you can…

29. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm

A’s getting hosed by the umps again on the HR review…

• salty said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Loving it! I wanna see another Verlander Gray duel.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm

wouldn’t it be colon?

• salty said, on October 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Ah, probably so. If I’m the Tigers I’d rather see Bart.

30. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Otero has done pretty well for the A’s. Now he’s pitching in a tough situation in a playoff game. Sabes didn’t cut him any more slack at AAA, he just cut him. What are the A’s doing for him that the Giants couldn’t?…

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm

happens all the time. casilla is a pretty good example.

31. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Why not a suicide squeeze for the A’s to tie it?…

32. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Wow, A’s looking the Giants there — bases loaded with no outs, two Ks and can’t score…

33. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

early night tonight. i enjoyed the comments today- although most seemed to disagree with my takes. comments were well thought out and well written. interesting though that the dumbest managing of the week was by joe maddon in the 5-4 rays *win*. best i can figure is that maddon is thought to be a smart manager because he looks like he should be a smart fellow…btw, he’s falling behind in his quest to use 8 pitchers this evening. slacker..
    night all. tomorrow- go buccos.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Maddon is a fantastic manager, maybe the best in the AL.

34. snarkk said, on October 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Scioscia reported returning to manage the Angels next season. Surprise to me…

• Alleykat said, on October 8, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Not to me Snarkk.
      That was reported a few days ago,probably when you and Mrs.Snarkk were sharing a bottle of Zin/Cab in your mud bath in Calistoga. :-)

35. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Well im all for a Sonny Gray vs Justin Verlander rematch.Kid has no fear out there.
    But Melvin does.He will go with Colon with the so called experience factor,but Gray should enter right away if fatso struggles.All hands on deck and he’s not intimated by Detroit.
    I want Sonny,but we will get Cher instead.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm

exactly. I said this on Oct 5th before their epic pitching dual. Sonny Gray is the next coming of Tim Hudson and very likely better than him…….

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 487 other followers