Deja Vu All Over Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2013

The Cardinals might not say it out loud, but Game 5 was a near must-win for them. It was only a year ago that it was a must-win for them. But Barry Zito had other ideas and pitched the game of his life to send the series back to SF where it ultimately ended with manager Mike Matheny drenched in the downpour muttering to himself on the top of the dugout steps…

And while the weather might be better in St Louis than it was in San Francisco in 2012, he could easily find himself in the exact same situation at the end of this series (albeit, dryer).

By not getting the job done yesterday, now they have to face Kershaw and that “W” is already in the bank. So now they’re knotted at 3-3 and every single member of that organization as well as their unified, massive legion of fans will be thinking one collective thing: “Uh oh, not again….”

They’ll play tight in Game 7 trying to avoid losing instead of trying to win and the shadow of last season’s playoff meltdown will haunt them all the way to yet another blown 3-1 series lead.

This sucks, the freaking Art Dealers are going back to the World Series.

About these ads

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:02 am

I regret to say you are spot on. On everything. Including the meteorological elements. (All of this will help me win the PC, though.)

2. Bozo said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

The Cards have em right where they want them.

On a side note, given Sinceseventy8′s wise return and that I figure none of us here will be watching the 2134 Olympics, I just wanted to say I’m sorry to twin and anyone else I may have insulted here,

Also, welcome back SinceSeventy8, I hope you can stick around for awhile.
    Cheers.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

thanks, you brightened my day, bozo.

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Hey Bozo … nice to see you. Cheers to you too man.

3. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:21 am

Man, I had to check it. I was doubting that we had come back from 3 games to 1 in the 2012 NLCS. In terms of unfettered emotion, 2010 was a watershed for me as a Giants fan, but — whew — we really were COMEBACK KINGS in 2012, weren’t we? #stillbasking

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:27 am

Yes, it’s true. And our boys had their backs against the wall against Dusty’s Thugs, too (had to beat the Reds three to advance). AND, when the G-Men beat the Reds three in a row, it was the first time in 2012 that the they had dropped three in a row.

Both 2010 and 2012 were amazing in so many different ways. No way I can pick one over the other, they are both extremely special in so many ways. But 2010 was the first in SF, and reflecting on that “Band of Misfits” will always hold a very special place in my heart.

WTF…for old times (and baskings) sake…

4. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:22 am

Well Flavor, you mirrored my thoughts exactly, but now that you have thrown it out there as already banked, I am not so sure. If the Cards do blow your theory (and my pick) and win, it is going to make the race for the PC that much more interesting.

5. Nipper said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:23 am

In baseball assume nothing. Yeah history may repeat itself but then again it may not. Kershaw is great but the great can be beaten. Even if he wins, the seventh game could be all St. Louis. Play on and enjoy!

6. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:28 am

Fuck…that Ashkon video STILL makes the hair stand-up on the back of my neck…some heavy basking going on…

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:18 pm

We listen to Pandora at work & every time that f’ing Journey song comes on I expect Ashkon. It’s like hearing a song from Rocky 4.

7. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:30 am

Man, what a trip…to hear the props to Uribe and Wilson…and now they rock the hated blue…

8. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:32 am

And you really cannot bask appropriately checking out one Ashkon video without the other…and until someone wins it all this year…WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS…OF THE WORLD…

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:36 am

Chi, you got me going now. Thanks for the video links. (I met Ashkon in January at Finnerty’s. Quiet, humble, very cordial young man.)

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:39 am

You got it Pawlie – hey, that’s what Flappers do for each other! I do remember you mentioning meeting him at Finnertys…very cool. I think it only appropriate that Ashkon do a “Three in Five” video. Bring on 2014, baby! Orange and Black and Don’t Look Back! (Damn…I am just “a little” fired-up too.) You got me going, Pawlie…thanks, brother.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:42 am

Either I did not see the 2012 vid or I just needed this refresh to recall it, but it just made my day. Thanks, Chuck.

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

My pleasure, Pawlie. And regardless of what happened this year, or in all future years, they can never take 2010 or 2012 away from us.

10. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:36 am

Okay…I’m better now. Throw another log on the hot stove, get Sabean on speed-dial so we can get these off-season moves nailed-down, and hurry up and wait…ONLY 165 days until pitchers and catchers report!

11. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:42 am

the dodgers aren’t winning this, imo. it’s pretty much the same as it was for the brave’s series- they had to win both of kershaw’s games to win the series- thanks to our man in la, they did that in the nlds. even if they win tomorrow that won’t be happening this time. no way they beat wainwright in game 7…

• Rooster said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’d have to agree, twin – the first two games where the Dodgers out-hit the Cards (actually the Cards out-hit the Dodgers for the 1st time in game 6) and went a collective 1 for 16 w/RISP pretty much sealed their fate. Losing Kershaw’s 1st start 1-0 on an unearned run was the clincher.

Dodgers now batting .281 / .336 / .440 in post season

Opponents batting .181 / .260 / .265

The pitching for the Dodgers MORE than did it’s job – the offense let them down – until yesterday, when they came alive with 4 bombs, and planted that seed of doubt in the Cards collective minds.

• Rooster said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:27 am

The Cards out-hit the Dodgers in game 5 for the 1st time is what I meant to type above.

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

Here’s the thing: after watching the video, I really AM a believer. I really CAN see us winning it all again. Yes, we can.

13. Flavor said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:12 am

Zoom– I can’t figure out the problem with the Goodreads settings so I deleted the widget. All of the books you have dumped in there are still at the goodreads site. I’ll re-install the widget later and see if that fixes it though you might have to manually re-enter the books again (not sure about this though)

14. Macdog said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:29 am

This is all merely a buildup to the inevitable: That my pick of Cards in 7 will prevail!

15. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

watching these videos- it does kinda raise goosebumps…uh wait, i had the heat turned down… …………….there, that’s better. seriously folks- i think of the lives we’ve lived in these three short years- some of you have seen children grow up and be off on their own, some have lost loved ones, bozo’s family has weathered nature, steve has seen the world… oh, i know i’ve only touched the surface. we’re a microcosm how sport can bring people together. many of you have met and formed what are bound to be lifelong friendships, and we’ve bickered, and figuratively kissed and made up, and to add a personal note to this- you’ve cheered me up in my hospital beds, followed my progress, and even one memorable day- called for help for me from your homes far away. so we’re a band of misfits, an extended family of sorts. i’d guess that in ways large and small, we’ve all been changed by this unlikely meeting. so- good morning, it’s a lovely fall day here, soon i’ll get merna up and get zeke his biscuits, look for the paper and hope it’s not in the pond- again. another day. a good day. sometimes it doesn’t take much…..thanks, you frigging clown ;-)

16. gianthead said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:44 am

I count on Wainwright to throw down a one-hitter and end the Bums’ run! Those blue bastards…

17. Rooster said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:38 am

Here’s the cardinals fan answer to those videos above :

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:48 am

LMAO…that is SO FUCKING LAME compared to Ashkon’s videos. Ash’s videos whoop ass Seven Ways to Sunday on this turd.

18. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:39 am

uribe, lopez, torres, huff, burrell, ross… i think of those guys as *our* hired guns. the low rent gonzos, han-rams, greinkes. those six weren’t bit players, end of the bench guys- they were indispensible, crucial… and what did they cost? about 11 million. total. in some cases these dudes weren’t ‘bargain bin’- sabes found them out back, turn left at the cardboard bin, there ya go- the recycle bin. ‘hey, i’ll pay ya to get ‘em off of my hands’…
    yeah, some are out of baseball already, a couple are hanging by a thread,…but, to me, that’s why 2010 was so special- not to be maudlin, but those are the kind of men that give us all hope, men who we can point to as we speak to a child, try to help a down and outer, cheer up an ill friend- sport is all about men and women like those guys- ordinary men who showed that the extraordinary resides in us all…
    geez, i love those guys. i’ll say it again, along with their more heralded teammates and the youngsters from that magical year, those men will be heroes here for as long they live, and beyond. i’d give anything to be at the ten year reunion, and i hope there’s a parade- so i watch ‘yungo’ shake hands with a million fans,,,

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:49 am

Well said, Michael. I could not agree more.

19. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

Twin – re: your 9:38 I agree. This wonderful community that Craig created IS family. And some who are not a part of the fabric probably do not understand that, and that’s okay. It is like when someone asks “why do you ride a Harley Davidson?” My response to that person would be “if you have to ask, then there is not enough time, nor enough words to answer the question.”

This blog and you Flappers are a huge part of my life, and I cannot begin to tell you all how much I appreciate what we have here. Keep On Flappin’!

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Twin, with all due respect, as they say in mob movies, but your 9:38am post is what you are best at: touching, well painted portraits that tell a story with detail and drama; a slice of life, is what I think they call it, with a debt to Anton Chekhov. I’ll go a step further: these little thumbnails transcend the sport and us. So, thanks. (See, beneath all those stats and sometime-snarls and fiercely defended positions, there’s a large Golden Retriever wagging its tail: you.)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm

and your 10:39 is really part B of the same thought begun in 9:38……

21. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

“and we’ve bickered”

I guess that’s supposed to cover the part where I was called things like “an ignorant moronic goober, with crumbs all over my face, who eats squirrel cheeks” or something like that. Whatever. If that’s the way you view the Central Valley of California, it says more about you than me.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 1:20 pm

you must have multiple screen names because i’ve never said anyhing close to that to you. i’ve told somebody else that some goober was eatin’ all the racoon cheeks, which are the best part of racoon, btw. try them with an arugula salad and a young beaujolais.

22. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I was checking my trusty Sports Choke-ometer 3000 this morning, and it didn’t have the Cards in the red-zone as much as BF does. The series may go 7, but I think they can eek out a game 7 win at home. Maybe a late-inning game-winning hit off of Wilson. :)

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Well, on the surface the odds are against the Bums.

But last year in the NLDS, when the Giants went down 0-2 and headed to Cincy for the next three…well, the odds were against them, too.

And subsequently, when the G-men went down 1-3 to the Cards, the odds were against them, again.

It Ain’t Over Until the Fat Lady Sings…and she hasn’t even cleared her throat, yet.

23. Bozo said, on October 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

New day and Zum, I think I was the goober with the raccoon cheek eating goobers or whatever it was. Twin, I doubt the folks here have tried an arugula salad, if they can’t shoot it or hook it they ain’t gonna eat it. And, the young beaujolais around these parts is made from corn and is clear, yee haw.

I’ve done the math for you all and have figured out that the cards are going to win. This is how it breaks down

Ballpark- STL is downtown and they have grass now. LA had to clear out a neighborhood for that monster in the ditch. Cards 1 Dodgers 0 (probably could give LA a minus point here but for now I’ll stick to zero).

Dogs – I recall STL having a nice Bockwurst when I was there so many years ago, LA, Dodgerdog.
    Cards 2 Dodgers 0

Ex Giant factor – StL has Matheny an all around good guy but LA has two huge contributors to our 2010 Champion SF Giants. Cards 3, Dodgers 2,

Beer – I know it’s Anheuser Busch but they used to bring it to you in the stands and the only beer I can remember coming out of LA was Brew 102. Cards 4 Dodgers 2.

Big Mac factor – StL, player and coach (minus 2), LA, coach (minus 1)
    Cards 2 Dodgers 1

Extra Points – The Bowling hall of fame is across from the stadium in StL. The LA fans play with beach balls (minus 1).

Final score Cards 3, Dodgers 0, oh my it’s a shutout.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm

bozo- no, it wasn’t even you- some goober was eatin’ ‘em. and i was the guy with the crumbs and a crooked grin. but darn it, i was about to post a 2013 electoral map of the central valley but i was blinded by the red…
      good post…
      as a person who like you, has actualy been to st. louis and the ballpark, i can tell everybody- those folks *have* to be the *best fans in baseball* because hades in august is more comfy than st. louis in the summertime.
      btw, i’ve eaten racoon ( i was going to the use the vernacular but imagine the shitstorm over *that*), and it’s mighty tasty- before i die i’ll try it with corn likker and fried yams- my last meal.

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

The only time I went to a game in STL was at the old ball;park in April and it was Cold with a capital C (so was Wrigley my, one time there, also April). The Cards were not playing the Giants but two dudes behind me were talking about it being colder at the Stick for every game. I didn’t correct them,I just chuckled.

Never had raccoon, I have eaten gator and you know what it tasted like? It tasted just like crocodile. New day, have a good one, I’ve gotta bug out again for a bit.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

i’ve had squirrel as well. my mom made it——————once. she didn’t cut it up, roasted it whole. it looked like a particularly unattractive rat,

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Love it. I can buy that.

24. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm

True, the Central Valley has its share of Republican members of the House, but I think it is worth giving credit to those that voted “yes” yesterday, which include David Valadao, Kevin McCarthy, and Devin Nunes. Central Valley Republican politicians tend to be more like the old-fashioned moderate Republicans. Yeah, it’s a vanishing breed, but it does still exist in places. :)

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm

well, i give credit to anyone who voted to end the mess, even the folks who caused it in the first place.

25. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I noticed one Senator didn’t vote. He was dead, so we understand that one.
    But 6 House members didn’t vote, either. What’s their excuse? Had the flu? Son got drunk and thrown in jail? They chickened out of voting and are hiding in a treehouse?

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I kind of stole my last question from Family Guy:

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

A Republican Representative (Tom Ridgell??) was on NPR yesterday. From Virginia. I really liked the guy. He spoke of the need for civility. He fiercely opposed some guy who said Obama should come out of the WH with his hands up. Said, “I come from a father who fought in Iwo Jima; we say yessir nosir. And in my house he is Mr. President. And with my staff.” In short, this man is a gentleman.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm

The TeaPartiers are the new confederates. Cruz is their modern day Jeff Davis…

26. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:05 pm

A final thought on politics. The $$$$ is insane.
    Check this out- my District. This is from an article before the 2012 election.
    “Nearly $12 million is being spent to sway voters in the 10th Congressional District, but little of it came from local donors.The high-stakes race between Republican Rep. Jeff Denham and Democrat Jose Hernandez is being bankrolled almost entirely by out-of-region political groups and contributors. Only about 3 percent of the contributions have come from within the district.”
    By far, Denham had more money for his campaign.
    One of the Denham TV ads blasted Hernandez for not living in the District for several years. What was Hernandez doing during those years? The ad doesn’t say. The answer is (as mentioned in Hernandez’s ads) :during the years he wasn’t living in the District, Hernandez was busy being an ASTRONAUT in Houston. The GOP ads totally trashed a guy who served his nation as an astronaut. It was really despicable stuff. I think Karl Rove’s PAC provided some of the money for that. It figures.
    I hope Hernandez runs again. But it’s tough when you’re not the incumbent. There’s a lot of built-in advantages to being the incumbent.

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm

And then Denham voted “no” yesterday. What a turd.

27. zumiee said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, I know I said that was the last one on politics, but one more thing I wanted to mention about that election is that the GOP actually sued to try to keep Hernandez from calling himself an astronaut in the campaign. It couldn’t get more ludicrous.
    “In March 2012, Bell, McAndrews & Hiltachk, a law firm with links to the California Republican Party, sued in Sacramento County Superior Court to block Hernandez from describing himself as an “astronaut/scientist/engineer” on the June ballot. The lawsuit stated that “astronaut is not a title one carries for life”; the election code requires the description be accurate for the previous calendar year. “Allowing a candidate to use the profession of ‘astronaut’ when he hasn’t served in that profession recently is akin to allowing someone to use a title of ‘sailor’ when they no longer own or operate a ship,” said Jennifer Kerns, a California Republican Party spokeswoman. On March 29, a Sacramento County Superior Court judge ruled that Hernández may be described as an astronaut on the June 5 primary ballot.”

What can you do except “face-palm”?

28. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

chi and pawlie- thanks.

29. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm

we all have favorite players- a few of mine from the remaining 4 postseason teams-
    torii hunter, vmartinez, verlander,anibal sanchez,big papi, beltran (sorry), matt adams, wainwright,uribe, wilson, , punto, kershaw…
    although i can’t root for the bums, damn-when juan hit the blast that beat the braves, it was still electric. the guy is just a joy. he didn’t hit many triples here but when he did- it was like he was a boy again.

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Good list Twin. Mine would be Buchholz, Pedroia, Nava, Miggy, Scherzer, AJax, Waino, Wacha, Molina, Wilson & Uribe. Hard to list the former Giants but I can’t forget the great things they did in 2010. Can’t root against them either, even in bleu.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm

78- i like your list, too. this is what i do when i don’t have a real rooting interest, otherwise it would be hard to watch the games. i pull for my favorite players. sometimes it leads to some conflicts, but that’s cool. besides that, i probably do what most of us do- just hope for good ballgames…

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, hoping the Tigers can get back in this game. I’d rather not have the Boston salesmen come in my office on Monday with something to gloat about.

30. paulinasia said, on October 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Maybe it was mentioned here in recent days, but it looks like all those posts here about Jose Abreu playing first base for the G’s next season ain’t gonna be happening, per MLB website…

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Must be the money, Giants too poor to compete. The guy reminds of Cepeda…

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:58 pm

6 years? we should be on our knees thanking sabes for saying ‘no thanks’…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I knew Sabes didn’t have the sack to pull the trigger on a deal like that……

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Exactly…

• paulinasia said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I have thought all along that Sabes *would* do something major this off-season. It seemed like signing Abreu might be it… but, no. So.. I’m still going to think that he still *will* do something major…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm

he might, it likely won’t be an international signing. That’s not his game, despite the fact that’s he’s sent Pat the Freaking Bat to Japan to fuck whor….I mean to scout players……
        Sabes wasn’t in on guys like Cespedes and Puig, thought they weren’t worth it. He’s certainly not going to pay what they’re worth now…….
        It’s cool. Abreu is no lock, he’s a big dude who might get bigger if he gets to start powering down fast food in the US all the time…….

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:21 pm

paul, the world series hasn’t even begun. he certainly might do something major. more likely to be pitchers, imo. we probably only have one starting position player spot open, so i don’t expect much there. could be another lf platoon….

• paulinasia said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Agree, Michael, and yes, the off-season hasn’t even begun yet. I’ve posted before that I’m actually really looking forward to the hot stove league this year. And, considering what Abreu is getting/will get, agree that it was a good call to pass on that…

31. paulinasia said, on October 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm

And how nice to see kinder, gentler posts again, after a bit of a shit storm of bad feelings… yeah, it’s tough for us Flappers when our team isn’t playing, we get a little cranky at times. :-)

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:00 pm

paul-one thing i’m going to try to practice is to not continue an argument to the next day, or next thread, whichever comes first. years ago we lived in an apartment , the folks in the apartment next to us argued all the time. i still remember their first names- johnny and carol. they’d go at it early in the morning- he’d slam the door and be off to work. when he got home from work, carol would pick up the morning fight in mid-sentence…that’s how some arguments are here- so i’m going try my idea and hope that it works. no more- ‘and further more’ from me…hell, 24 hours is plenty of time to make my point a few dozen times ;-)

32. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 9:38 pm

i wish i could go to the cards/bums games in st. louis. as i mentioned yesterday, my mom was born there and i still have relatives there. haven’t been in years, it’s a wonderful city .we had scheduled a riverboat vacation before merna had her stroke. they may be a little overboard with the ‘best fans’ bit, but they are a knowledgable group- fewer casual fans, flappers would dig it. just don’t go in the summer. april and october are good times… i’m told by my cousins to try the ‘rib tip snoot combo’ at the red door bbq in east st. louis…

33. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

goodnight paul, 78, bozo, zumiee, chi, pawlie… good night all- it was, as i said(hoped?) this morning- a good day. and the paper wasn’t in the pond.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 488 other followers