Watching What Others are Doing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 23, 2013

While other teams are busy wheeling and dealing, the Giants quietly announced the signing of Javier Lopez. Excuse me if I don’t celebrate this move. It’s nice. Great to have him back. But I’d like to point out that the only new player added to last year’s near-last place team is Tim Hudson. And I’m happy to have Huddy come aboard. It’s just that, well, this off season is starting to have that *underwhelming* feel to it.

The Cardinals boldly went out and got Peter Bourjos. The Tigers brazenly traded away Prince Fatso. And those were teams that good last year. We were not good last year. We could not hit last year. And excuse me if I don’t trust Sabean to sit on his hands until the 2014 trade deadline before he trades for a competent left fielder. And our bench is a joke.

Big Game today. Go Cardinal.

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:15 am

Sabean with the slow play. Again. I often wonder if GMs around the league are more than hesitant to deal with him. I mean, how many promising young arms can they be fleeced by?

2. willedav said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

Peter bourjos of the .700 OPS is a bold move? The guy is likely Cards 4 th OF even if Beltran walks. From what I read Cards are going to give the kid Taveres an OF spot and the kid who got picked off 1b (wong) 2b and move Carpenter to 3b. Cards can do this b/c of the value of farm system, but it is still risky business. Anyone giving Chris Young $7.5 mil off last year’s battle with Mendoza line is playing a serious longshot
    Don’t forget, some the *kids* they have brought through the system haven’t panned out–rasmus who ran afoul of LaRussa, Jay who is supposedly odd man out of the OF, and now WS hero Freese unceremoniously dumped off to the AL for a backup. And they are still alleged to be looking for a SS to replace Kozma.
    As a coach I always hated games like Stanford has today, going against overmatched opponent with nothing to lose. I think my team should dominate from the git go and blow them out immediately and get impatient when it doesn’t happen right away, or the other team makes a few plays and has some success. And usually if you have the better team you do eventually smoke them but the longer it takes pisses me off, and I’m harder and more irritable on those making mistakes than otherwise would be.

• blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

Respectively disagree with you WD . . . Bourjos has NEVER really been given a chance. He has also been injured significantly, but played through his hip injury (and then had surgery to correct it) and a broken wrist. He is a plus offensive player when he is able to play consistently. Check out his 2011 stats – the one year where he got to play.

The Angels outfield has been packed like a sardine can and it got worse after Trout came on the scene. Tori Hunter was the other road block earlier. Most important, Jay will be on the bench come next season and consequently, Bourjos will have an opportunity to shine. This is an excellent trade by the Cards (who also got the number one player (Randal Grichuk) rated above Trout).

• willedav said, on November 23, 2013 at 8:36 am

Understand, see what happens. One good year guys with history of injuries tho give me a lot of pause.
        These type of guys come with risks as you said in your other post, and often have had up and down careers. I bet this is the type of guy Sabes picks up—in other words, NOT a big impact player for LF.
        As you said in your post couple days ago that I thought was spot on, sabes is counting on improvement from all his holdovers (in LU and SPs) to make the difference.

3. blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:48 am

Flav, I would have liked Peter Bourjos too as I said last night (along with AK47 . . . new name for ya Kat. Ha.). Relatively easy trade to make. I am going to give Sabean the benefit of the doubt and hope that he has a couple of other pokers in the fire.

This is how I see it. The Giants are fucked in left field and the Giants have said they will not participate in the free agent sweepstakes if it means giving up a draft choice. I AM DOWN WITH THAT. The only outfielder I have any interest in is Choo and that isn’t going to happen. The rest of these free agents are flotsam and filing paper work for social security benefits. That being said, the Giants have indicated that a trade is possible (or at least they have left that door open). I believe that there are at least a dozen players that fit into the category of Bourjos, but for whatever reason have not been given a chance and/or had a bad season last year. Dollars to donuts they are under 30 years old too. In short, these hypothetical “dozen players” are all better than Blanco, God bless his great fielding, non-hitting ass.

4. willedav said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:53 am

Speaking of overmatched opponents, Jameis the Rapeis and the Florida St. Seminoles are playing…Idaho Vandals today, one of the worst teams in all FCS. Oviously even if he was held out they would blow them out—point spread is 57. That’s not a typo–you want to bet UI you got 57 points to play with.

5. James said, on November 23, 2013 at 8:47 am

I am back from Chile, and can report that baseball is not about to become a national obsession there.

Salty’s lingering POTD isn’t entirely accurate. It mixes NL and ML rankings. In absolute numbers, the Giants’ ERA ranks in the NL and MLB, respectively, over the last 4 years are:

2010 – 1,1
    2011 – 2,2
    2012 – 5,7
    2013 – 12,18

Going by baseball ref’s park adjusted ERA – a type of relative measurement that worried BF a bit about Hudson’s numbers last year — the Giants were also first in MLB in 2010. They were 5th in 2011, a year, unlike 2013, when the offense actually *was* pathetic, scoring only 560 runs. The 2011 team with the terrible offense still managed to win 86 games, albeit by beating the Pythagorean projections by 6 games. In 2012, however, the pitching ranked 22nd in MLB. Last year, the relative ERA was dead last in all of MLB.

How much stock to put into these relative stats is of course up to you. Everyone acknowledges that ballparks do have a significant effect on a player’s and team’s numbers, yet not everyone consistently keeps that fact in mind when judging performance.

I am jazzed that Sabes is still prioritizing another SP. The only SP I’d bet on having a good year next year is MadBum; however, among Cain, Hudson, Lincecum and one other SP with an above average track record, I’d bet that 2 of them will perform well. They will need at least 3 SP to have very good seasons in 2014, whether they get a better LFer or not.

6. James said, on November 23, 2013 at 8:53 am

I just looked up Bourjos, and was pleased to see that he is just behind Jim Essian in the all time player rankings.

• blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:16 am

James, stick to pitching . . . :-)

• James said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hey, I really was just happy to be reminded of Jim Essian. A San Dawg kinda thing.

7. Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:00 am

Welcome back, James. I didn’t realize you were out of the country. I just figured you were drowning in a tsunami of jizz generated by you with all these pitcher signings the Giants were making…. :) :) :)
    Bourjos is an injury risk, I’ve always felt is a “hundred percenter” (meaning he only plays if he’s 100%) but he’s super fast. If he ever stays healthy I’m predicting he puts up a season like one of Ellsbury’s best (not the 30+ bomb outlier season)

8. Del Mar Dennis (@DelMarDennis) said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

We’re going to finish 5-10 GB of the Dodgers whether we get an new LF or not.
    Why worry about it?

• Nipper said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:53 am

Stay thirsty!

9. Alleykat said, on November 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

AK47,I like it Switch Blade.:)
    Yeah I’m sick and tired of Sabean when it comes to trade talks.”He’s like Tom Cruise in Top Gun after Goose bought it.’”He won’t engage,he’s lost his nerves”
    Sabean just doesn’t get involved in winter trades,he would rather get a player from F/A or July 31 deadline out of desperation.He’s lost his nerves to deal with most GM now, feeling he will crash and burn.He all about smoke and mirrors to try and please fans like he is being active in talks when he really is not.

Here is another possible player on the move that we could use but Sabean Wont “ENGAGE ” in is CF Austin Jackson ,still young 26,speed, plenty of upside even though he struggled last year.Start with Romo and go from there.Slide Pagan over to LF..That OF would immediate ly look better.

10. snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

On the Flap I detect a hint of impatience when thinking about yet another year of Blanco plus the Unknown right handed platoon hitter taking over LF again. Is it too much too ask to actually get a modicum of consistent offensive production from that position? A handful of circus catches a year by Blanco is not going to make up for fair production in that position. His OBP at .341 last season was actually pretty good comparative to LFs in the NL and he had 14 steals, in the top 10 of LFers. But, this is a power position, and his SLG of .350 just doesn’t cut it…

• blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:16 am

Here’s the original reason why we signed Blanco (with excerpt) . . . http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/How-Gregor-Blanco-joined-SF-Giants-3473030.php

“He’s an exciting player,” Bochy said. “He’s a nice weapon to have on the bench, and when you start him, you can lead him off. I’m going to try to use him as much as I can, off the bench, double-switches, pinch-hitting and starting.

“He’s a great acquisition for us. He’s going to create a lot of interest.”

No way, no how was the intent to make him a full time starter.

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

He goes on LONG stints where he just can’t hit. At all. Basically hopeless at the plate. Both last season and the season before. What was he, 6 for 66 or some shit like that this past summer? You just can’t have that…

• unca_chuck said, on November 23, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Yeah, but Posey, Pence, Panda, Belt and everyone else did that shit as well.

11. Alleykat said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

Ok Flappers in the trade that will never happen category..Cause Sabes will not engage.
    Romo& Panda Express for CF Austin Jackson and our new 5th Starter Rick Porcello.
    Detroit gets their closer they desperately need and with Fielder moving on,they have Panda for 3rd as Miggy moves back to1B his better postion anyway.

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I dunno, Kat. Jackson would be an upgrade in LF sure, but he strikes out a ton and there’s a net net loss on power, probably, with dumping Panda. Are you moving Jackson to CF and Pagan to LF? And, who’s the Giants closer now? Bring back the Beard? Not sure if Porcello’s much better than Petit or Gaudin. And, who plays 3rd now for SF? I’d say Detroit wins that trade…

• Alleykat said, on November 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Alright Snarkk I’m revising this trade.
        Yes I still want Jackson and yes he is my Centerfielder with Pagan going to LF.
        Choo is going to Detroit most likely, that is why Jackson could be available.
        Forget Porcello, though I would take him over the groper or Petit anyday.
        Tigers most likely want prospects, so how about Hembree,Peguero and a AA pitcher/reliever?
        Cause your right about Panda, we will need his bat next year with no one capable to take over.God I hope these reports on him are true and he is getting his fat ass in shape.Just don’t need another injury prone year out of him.

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

The more you look at it, there just aren’t good options for LF. This is where the Giants crap OFers in the farm system hurts, big time. Just ONE farmhand that could come up and be a good, hell, just decent OFer, with serviceable pop and decent speed would be an improvement. Just one. But, no. Not happening. Perez is the only guy that looks like he could help from the farm, and that’s more than a crapshoot for his hitting. Peguero as a “prospect”? From my look at him last season, looks like that idea has left the building…

12. twinfan1 said, on November 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

New post- with a hint on what it will take for Snarkk to pour you a shot of Maker’s Mark…

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

The turkey’s the one that better be taking the Maker’s hit…

13. Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

McCann– 6 years, 100 mil from Yanks. This is one of their worst ever, I love it. Can’t wait to watch the fall out from this disgustingly stupid deal

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Good. I’m glad he’s there, and not with SF. McCann to the Giants made nunsense to me…

14. snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Big Game going the way most Cal fans figured. An historic beat down. Sonny Dykes will need to fire his DC in the next few days; the only way he can proceed, IMO. Who would come in to replace him in such a precarious situation is a good question. Cal has had an unreal slew of injuries, but the team has laid down. And, then you have the internal player assault a few weeks back. A mess. IMO Dykes has only next year to get this thing in gear. If this team craters next year, he’s gone, and so is Sandy Barbour the AD. It already looks like a disastrous hire. Maybe Walt Harris / Tom Holmoe bad. Mac from SJState was available and interviewed last year. He should have gotten the job, and loads of Cal people said so then. Barbour wanted an offensive mind. Yep, a good ol’ boy with few Bay Area connections, unlike Mac who had developed a NorCal recruiting network. Why would a good recruit want to come to Cal now? The HC is on a horrendous hot seat, so is the AD. Guaranteed the rest of the Pac 12 will use all this to recruit against Cal, and why not? Barbour’s driven the athletic dept. into the ground; the near cancellation of the baseball program was an absolute embarrassment. Hiring Monty is her signal achievement. The Memorial stadium rehab turned out great, but the resulting debt mess in totally in her hands, too, along with the football graduation rate disaster…

• ewisco said, on November 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I can’t figure out why she wasn’t fired after the scholastic scandal. that’s entirely on her watch.

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I wouldn’t have wanted to be one of those Bear nerds staring down the Cardinal nerds, especially while Stanford was THROWING for a touchdown up 42. At least Cal has a QB to build around. They need more pieces. This was a destructor-de-struction game. Total annihilation. I kept thinking Cal would at least get mad after Skov’s cheap shot and all the throwing in the 4q but nope, nada. MIght as well have been the nerds wearing those jerseys today……..

• snarkk said, on November 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I wasn’t as miffed at the pouring on as the fact that Shaw didn’t show for the traditional Big Game luncheon this week. He said he needed the time for practice. Seriously? This is an annual charity event. He knew he was going to trounce Cal by at least 4 TDs, but he can’t take time off for a few hours for a luncheon that both coaches have traditionally gone to since forever? Dykes showed up. He knew he was going to get hammered today, but HE showed up. If anybody could claim he had to be at practice, it was Dykes with his team winless against the Pac 12 for the year. Shaw maybe is going to the Rose Bowl, but his no-show was a no-class diss of the tradition of the Big Game, the charity event, and Cal. People knew he wasn’t showing and the attendance was down, which was uncool for the event and the Guardsmen charity. Lots of people were pissed. For that, Shaw can get F’d…

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Agree with all of this. And I didn’t like Shaw BEFORE I found out about this.

• snarkk said, on November 24, 2013 at 12:10 am

Here’s an article on Shaw’s no show. Because he telegraphed the no-show to Stanford alums apparently, a lot of them and their ticket money that would go to at-risk kids didn’t show, either. Bill Walsh always showed up, and when he last coached Stanford, he was sporting three Super Bowl rings and in the pro football HOF. I think David Shaw has a ways to go before he’s close to being as big as Bill Walsh in the world of football…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm

McCann to NY at those dollars is ridiculous. If they would move Ichiro any interest? Anyone else following the pacquiao fight tonight? I’m thinking Pac-Man in 6.

• blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Anyone who wants to watch the Pacquiao/Rios fight for free (yes, I said free) . . . http://www.freevip.eu/

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Is that legit? Lots of download prompts. Maybe I am viewing it wrong.

• blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Dirt, when you click on the boxing tab, you will scroll down and see P/R fight. When you click on that, you will see a number of links. I usually click on AlphaTV link 1 or link 2 HBO. Now IGNORE THE POP UP SCREENS AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO PLAYERS. CLOSE OUT THE POP UPS. Sometimes the “X” will move. I know hilarious . . . However, you will see a prompt on the viewer that count downs the ads . . . Wait patiently, or you can try to close out the moving X. Again, fool around with it and you will eventually see the video, sans ads, etc. AGAIN, DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Blade, thanks for turning me on to that site. I did watch. Rios got his ass handed to him. Weird to see pacquiao not able to close the deal.

• blade3colorado said, on November 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I disconnected my DirectTV months ago (new Vizio works great though) because I can get just about every TV show, new movie, and sporting event online via pirated signals/digital tape. I just hook up the HDMI cable to the PC to the television and I’m good to go. However, I also usually do a malware, spyware, cookies, anti-virus, and registry scan immediately afterwards. Ha.

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’d take Ichiro for a year though I know that isn’t going to happen. Not sure how SAbes restrained himself from Ichiro when he was available via trade and then after that as a free agent. I would LOVE to see Ichiro ping pong paddle the ball around Att park. He’d rediscover north of .300 very quickly

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I’d like to see Ichiro too. He would kill triples alley. Remember when that was Finley’s alley or gap or whatever it was? I prefer triples alley

16. Alleykat said, on November 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

$17 mil. a season for McCann.
    13 mil. for Peralta.
    Looks like the price of poker keeps going up.

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm

The one thing you can say for SAbes and his non participation with acquiring free agent position players or position players via trade is that he’s not missing out on much. Shit sometimes no move is the right move. There has been a guy here and there I woulda liked to have but Jesus this McCann/Peralta insanity is just laughable. Enjoy those mistakes, dumbasses. Listen up: I wouldn’t take Peralta on a minor league deal. He’s face planting next year, unless he re-cycles which is, I guess, a possibility. But why risk it? He just got paid

17. blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Dirt, did you figure it out? Right now, the Featherweight championship is on between Gradovich and Dib.

18. blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Pacman is killing this chump Rios. Surprised it has lasted 7.

19. blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm

File this under the most hilarious statements I have heard in a while. Jayson Stark wrote a column about possible Cano team destination scenarios, including your San Francisco Giants. In part, he wrote . . .

• San Francisco Giants: Marco Scutaro can play positions other than second base. But as one agent put it, “their style is to overpay their own guys, not someone else’s guys.”

To read the rest of this column, click on this link – http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove13/story/_/id/10007705/sizing-market-robinson-cano

20. paulinasia said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:19 pm

A cool autumnal Sunday afternoon in southwest China, middle of the night for ya’ll Flappers. My laptop died last week; lost most everything I had on it, which was a lot. I’ve been very undisciplined at backing things up. Lesson learned. Damn… all those photos of all the Saigon girls… it makes a grown man cry. Still laptopless; they put in a new hard drive, and Windows 7…. in Chinese. Can’t even use the damn thing. Maybe tomorrow. Or the next day.. or the next day… Agree with the ridiculous signings recently, and completely agree with Snarkk about being REAL glad McCann won’t be coming to the Gints. Craig, maybe so far Sabean’s moves seem underwhelming, but I think he’s just kind of reinforcing the foundation, bringing back those he deems necessary, and THEN he’ll go after something new to bolster both the rotation and left field. It’s not even December yet. Last year, he got *everything* done very early in the off-season, we were all amazed. This year, I’m willing to be more patient and believe he will get it done. But you’re right… he’d better not be done already. Hope all’s well with everyone…

21. paulinasia said, on November 23, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Well, not quite middle of the night, as I see the timestamp on my post… I was thinking East Coast time ’cause I had just emailed my folks.. Even I get *lost in translation* sometimes…

22. willedav said, on November 24, 2013 at 7:57 am

Ichiro needs to retire, right now. He put up epically bad numbers (for him) last season, hitting .260 with .639 OPS/ 75 OPS+ while playing in a hitters yard in a division with 3 other hitters yards. The starved for offense Yankees, with guys like overbay and wells in the LU, regularly batted him near the bottom of the order. That is sad to watch for me, as the skills diminish and he becomes blanco like ordinary.
    First ballot HOF, no doubt. But just like his last half season in Seattle showed, the magic in his bat is gonzo. In the B/R career stat line he is two spots behind Billy Williams and one ahead of Joe Morgan, couple of my heroes who either went the DH route and played for the A’s or bounced around for too many years late careers.

• Flavor said, on November 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Been busy all day, but WillieD don’t take it personally that your comment shut the blog down this morning. :) football, slow day otherwise, I’m sure it was the same for SAbes today

• willedav said, on November 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

yeah, huh? Lot of sports stuff going on right now, Dubs Sharks college football/ b-ball, pro games today.
        Not to mention folks getting ready for Holiday…seems like most stores I see have Christmas stuff up already.
        remote worked harder than I did.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 24, 2013 at 7:10 pm

How about Rajai Davis with Pagan sliding to left? Dude is a free agent I think.

• blade3colorado said, on November 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Dirt, we would still have to platoon him with someone . . . He is clueless against right handed pitching.

24. Nipper said, on November 25, 2013 at 5:51 am

Get that coffee brewing Wille D, time to get up!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers