The Lure of the Needle and Easy Money

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 25, 2013

Like several other players busted in the Biogenesis bust, Jhonny Peralta got 50 games of unpaid leave, publicly humiliating himself and the fake stats he generated while on the juice as well as leaving his team in the lurch as the playoff stretch run kicked into high gear. In exchange for this consequence, the St Louis Cardinals handed him 52 million dollars–that’s more than 3 times what the Blue Jays gave to Fake Website Guy. And there are a half a dozen teams tripping over themselves to sign Nelson Cruz. He’ll probably get 80 million+.

Clearly, the consequence for failing a drug test isn’t working. 50 games? No problemo. More time to work on my Summer tan. 100? Sure, I’ll bide my time by pumping out extra sets in the gym and banging hot chicks while my team forages on without me.

I find it beyond hypocritical that there are teams and fans around the country who want to asterisk (*) Barry Bonds but those same teams and fans are handing over millions of dollars to known steroid offenders and celebrating their arrival. If Jhonny Peralta were to break Bonds’ single season home run record next year (yes, this example is just for the sake of argument) would the Cardinals organization celebrate it or asterisk (*) it?

I could care less if players take steroids. Hell, they should be required to take them. As a fan, I have the right to expect to see the best athlete that science can produce! Yes, kidding. But really, I don’t care if they take them. Just don’t get caught. And mlb’s drug program is NOT working. The Biogenesis scandal came to light  because a minion in the organization ratted the operation out—it wasn’t like all those guys failed drug tests. Well, besides Braun, and we know what a fiasco that turned into.

I don’t know what the drug policy should be. The tide seems to have turned in terms of player acceptance of cheating, many players came out publicly against the players caught up in the Bio-bust. That wouldn’t have happened 5-10 years ago. But those same players are now watching these guys apologize and come back to 52 million dollar deals waiting for them. How long will the swell of player disapproval last if that keeps happening?

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on November 25, 2013 at 7:11 am

It’s disgusting. Baseball owners are nuts. I quit going to sporting events. Too much greed.

2. Bozo said, on November 25, 2013 at 7:50 am

Yes, MLB’s program has been a joke. But the thing that is starting to bother me is how they hand out their punishments. I’m not an ARod fan but he seems to be getting the Bonds routine from MLB, as in banished from the game. Braun, Big Papi, Big Mac, you know, the guys who mumbled some sort of an apology, just get swept under the rug.

I don’t think it has anything to do with today’s topic, but I see reports that Haren signed with LA for $10 mil, 1 year.

3. Alleykat said, on November 25, 2013 at 8:28 am

McCann ‘s deal for 5/ 85 still blows me away.Then again did the Yanks really want to go into next year with ex Giant lightweight Chris Stewart as their Catcher? Think Not!!

4. Macdog said, on November 25, 2013 at 9:21 am

“I find it beyond hypocritical that there are teams and fans around the country who want to asterisk (*) Barry Bonds but those same teams and fans are handing over millions of dollars to known steroid offenders and celebrating their arrival.”

Flav, as you would say: Gold!

5. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2013 at 10:44 am

Well, we’re at the point where it’s either all or nothing. Double-down or abandon it altogether.

Seriously. Mainly because the average fan doesn’t care. Unless it’s big bad Barry Bonds. Then, it’s tantamount to killing puppies to support him. Braun will be welcomed back with open arms, as have these other guys recently busted. Just look at the Michelin Man, Bartolo Colon. He gets busted last year, and wonks all over the country marvel and drool over his pitching this year. At age 41.

Really? Is it that hard to connect the dots? With Bonds it was pathetic the lengths they went to to bust him. Ol’ lizard tongue skates with much more damaging (and ACTUAL PHYSICAL) evidence against him.

As I’ve said a few times, 1st bust, one-year suspension, unpaid. 2nd? Banned for life. Use the WADA standards. Otherwise this shit will go on.

6. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

Sorry, Flav if you doin’t really like poeple posting stuff like this, but your thread reminded me of this song:

• foothillsryan said, on November 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Me too! A salute to irony !

7. Chipower9 said, on November 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Good thread, Flav. I agree that it is fricking ludicrous the time and effort that was spent trying to skewer Bonds, yet some of these has-beens get caught red-handed and then handed a boatload of money.

I could give a shit less if the players use, or not.

But if MLB is serious about cleaning-up the game, the current system is an absolute fucking joke. Agree that something along the lines of what Chuck suggested is needed (1st offense = 1 year, no pay; 2nd offense = lifetime ban).

8. Chipower9 said, on November 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Awesome song by Neil…thanks for sharing Charlie. Harvest is still one of my favorite NY albums…

9. Irish Kevin said, on November 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

And in other sporting news, the Lakers sign Kobe to a 2 year extension $40 -$50 mill. He has not stepped onto the court to play this season. and they are not sure when he will be ready. Kobe is definitely getting the Bonds treament, he puts fans in the stands!! I will give him credit for staying with 1 team for 20 years.

10. stixwiz said, on November 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

“Sorte Satan”. That’s Danish for Black Satan or Black Devil. Demonization of the Big Black Scapegoat. Baseball fans should be more discerning and discriminating to fall for that sorta guff. Meanwhile, these “has-beens” as Chi calls them and the Chosen elite like Braun get the “Get out of Jail Free” cards in the old monopoly game.

Granted, the racism does play well with some of the Southern-fried brainpans out there and some of the more football-frenzied types across the country. Giants brass should go pro-active here and make a big deal of inviting #25 back to the fold with arms open, mouths smiling and eyes shining as a special hitting instructor.

Bout time.

11. stixwiz said, on November 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm

“than to fall for” (scuzzi)

12. unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’m with you, Stix. Yeah, invite Barry back with as much fanfare as possible. As a hitting coach, bench coach, barcalounger salesman, whatever.

Build a 20′ tall retractable Barry statue that comes out of the cove whenever someone hits the water.

• unca_chuck said, on November 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm

And do it before Bud retires.

• stixwiz said, on November 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, that would rub it into Selig just about right ~ and sans Tina Turner’s “ain’t no good without the grease.”

13. Alleykat said, on November 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Royals are saying Aaron Crow &Tim Collins are very much tradeable right now.
    Crow would be intriguing as a possible converted 5th Starter to me.
    Only 27,good stuff,wonder if Sabes would would work a trade.Probably not.

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Right on target regarding the smug and shallow hypocrisy of — wait for the list — fans, owners, MLB, media, pundits, and players. Everybody on that list loves to get all hot and holy about steroids — unless the finger points at me or my team. Phony. BTW, I love “Fake Website Guy.” Took me a few seconds to get it.

15. blade3colorado said, on November 25, 2013 at 5:08 pm

In my opinion, the Lakers are stupid for extending Kobe another $48.5 million dollars. Bryant, 35, will maintain his status as the NBA’s highest-paid player over the course of the extension. Numb nuts will receive $23.5 million in the first year and $25 million in the second year of the extension. Idiotic for two reasons: 1. Lakers cap number will only allow one “max” player next season; and, 2. A frickin’ achilles injury is many times worse than a knee injury. Unless Stern does some funny business like he did with the Gasol trade, the Lakers will be the shits for the next 3-5 years, sucking on the ‘Dubs tail exhaust.

16. stixwiz said, on November 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

LaBumbos picking up Haren for $10M + incentives on a short-term deal is a one-up on the Giants. Wondering why Sabean didn’t strike first. Owners going cheapskate again? SF now needs to match or better LA and it probably would be costly as most of the remaining quality F.A. starters will want longer deals. So is ownership writing off the ’14 season or are more moves in the works?

• salty said, on November 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Well, 90m for Pence , 58 on Tims and 13m for Lopez doesn’t look like they are writing off 2014 or mgmt has gone cheap. Expect more moves. Maybe someone better than Haren. Like to see a lefty to balance things out

17. blade3colorado said, on November 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Haren’s a pussy in my opinion. He faked an injury (shoulder), when in fact, he was homesick for the west coast.

Per the Washington Post, “Haren’s lone year in Washington began with disaster. On June 23, he went on the disabled list with a 6.15 ERA, the highest in the majors. After a 15-day stint on the disabled list – for shoulder inflammation ostensibly, but for his mental health in reality – Haren approached the form that made him one of the most accomplished pitchers of his generation. He went 8-8 with a 3.29 ERA over his final 15 starts, plus one memorable save to cap the Nationals’ 15-inning win in Atlanta.”

This is what the wuss said, “As for next year, I have no idea,” Haren added. “The biggest question marks last year were my health, and I think I’ve hopefully put those to rest a bit after being healthy all year. My DL stint was mental, not physical, and everyone knows that. The questions on me now are almost all just performance-based, and I finished strong so I think that a good opportunity will present itself.”

I’m glad the Bums signed him.

18. stixwiz said, on November 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wuss or not Haren is a talent. Giants and Bumbos rotations were fairly well matched prior to the signing. Now LA has a somewhat marked edge. SF makes up for that slightly in the bullpen, though staff is still not up to par overall. So those tight purses need to get slit a bit. We need to keep in mind that with the signing of the Cuban SS, the LaLaLanders may well have closed the gap in their infield and thus edge us somewhat in overall position strength as well. That move has not yet been addressed by the Giants either . I do expect Sabean to work the tradewinds during the Winter Meetings.

• willedav said, on November 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

Stix, LA has the better SPs at top end, no doubt in my mind. Kershaw Greinke Ryu (and he can also hit) were better last year than Bum and anyone else SF had or has now. I know a lot of guys here liked Haren, and a 1 yr deal with option would have been nice, but imo he is more back end filler. Jansen is tough tho SF might have more depth if Casilla and Affledt are healthy and Hembree can be full time set up guy or close.
      I hope Sabes can fill the rotation out with one more elite guy…otherwise it’s hope and pray everyone else is a run or so better than last year, and Bum doesn’t have any drop off. Seems like tall order to me.

19. unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2013 at 10:04 am

Well, in the end it’s going to come down to the hitting (insert James’ rant here!). The teamwide failures cannot be repeated. If Panda, Pence, and especially Posey don’t get rolling early and often, they will struggle across the board. Belt needs to continue where he left off last year and bring the power. With the LF ??? someone needs to be the missing power source.

Mind you, the pitching needs to improve, but the hitting needs to stop disappearing for long stretches as well.

I have faith that the pitching will be good enough going forward. The hitting? Well, Posey’s disappearance still worries the shit out of me.

20. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

Jason Vargas – who is putrid in my opinion – gets 4 years and $32 million from the Royals, and Matt Garza is the one celebrating, knowing he’s got a 5-year deal coming. Again, only my take, but I like Scott Kazmir, who had a better WAR than Garza, as well as Lincecum, Hudson, Vargas, Haren, Arroyo, and Johnson. In short, he wont cost us as much as these guys (possible exception of J. Johnson).

• Chipower9 said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Dude, you have serious wood for Kazmir. Quite the man-crush going on there. ;-) Say what you want about Bronson’s propensity to give-up the big fly, but Kazmir’s last two years don’t exactly give me the warm fuzzies. I like Arroyo on durability alone, and would “hope” that 81 games in our yard, and another almost 40 in Dago and the Latrine would mellow out those HR numbers.

• blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

No worse than your man love for Arroyo . . . Whoops! I forgot, you two are on a first name basis (you calling him Bronson). ;-)

21. James said, on November 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Chuck, I am curious why you or anyone has faith that the pitching is more likely to become top tier again than that the offense will look a little more like it did in 2012. The pitching has declined every year since 2010, hitting rock bottom last year.

Posey had a good year. Not great, but not untypical for other players like him at his age. There’s certainly a lot more evidence that he’ll have a good to great year than there is for Lincecum to do so. As for the consistency issue, the team still finished 2 games better than the run differential projections, meaning that the overall distribution of runs scored to runs allowed was in their favor. It’s all luck anyway, not anything that can be controlled.

22. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

These are articles on the topic . . . http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10035659/jhonny-peralta-signing-defended-john-mozeliak-says-st-louis-cardinals-not-morale-police

and

Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Brad Ziegler, the team’s union player representative, tweeted that “it pays to cheat” and chided owners for “encouraging PED use.” David Aardsma also points out, “I had 2 major surgeries in 5 months and made it back clean, nothing pisses me off more than guys that cheat and get raises for doing so.”

23. unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Cain should bounce back, Timmy is a ?, but the Giants had a lot of AAA guys manning the pen due to all the injuries last year. Gaudin came in as the emergency 5 after Vogie went down, and that unsettled the pen as well. There should be less thrash around the pitching, barring injury of course, plus the addition of Hudson should help keep the pen stronger.

Posey dropped off the face of the Earth after the break. Panda went through his injuries and struggles. Pence would vanish at times as well. Belt came on down the stretch, which is very encouraging. LF was a black hole for production, but again, it comes down to the guys who are SUPPOSED to drive in runs. Pence had a monster couple weeks near the end of the year to help his overall numbers, but he too was unproductive for long stretches.

Beyond that, we sucked defensively as well. It ain’t just the pitching, but if our 3-4-5 guys (Panda, Posey, Pence) go missing for stretches, then the pitching won’t matter.

24. Chipower9 said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

HOF ballots are out. Kent on it for the first time. The Chron’s headline for the article was something to the effect “who gets in first…Kent or Bonds.”

I almost think Kent will make it before Barry…

• Bozo said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Doesn’t Bonds have to actually retire before he gets on the ballot? It’s my understanding that he never actually turned in his papers, or whatever MLB players have to do.

25. unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Bonds is retired. Officially or no, it’s the last time he stepped on the field. Which was the 2007 season. He was on the ballot last year and got something like 38%.

26. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm

NY Times have a great opening paragraph about Robinson Cano –

“The Yankees have gotten nine excellent seasons and one championship from Robinson Cano. They have paid him about $58 million. Now he wants that much again, and about $250 million more, for a decade that almost certainly will not be as productive.”

Great cautionary road sign for the idiot owners who signed Pujols, Zito, Hamilton, Fielder, Hamden, et. al.

27. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Flav, sent you an email. Major problems. Read and heed.

28. stixwiz said, on November 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm

From the scuttlebutt on MLBTR it looks like MLB and the Japanese are talking again and clearing up their posting logjam could be back on the agenda before too long. Williedav responded to my notions this morning that up till the Haren signing, the Giants and LaBumbos rotations were nearing parity. I agree that they may be better at the top ~ at least Opie. Greinke better than Bumgarner? Not so sure about that. Ryu topping Hudson? Again, it’s debatable. Cain, like Chuck points out, should bounce back.

What may not be debatable is that if Tanaka-san becomes available sometime soon, he will be the hottest ticket around. Granted, SF may have quite a bit of talent arriving in two and three years, so that would make for a damper-effect (note the 2-year contracts with Timmy and Tim) but to stay competitive in the NLW the Giants may need to make the big $$$plash. Probably Arroyo and maybe Kazmir would make for a decent #5, but point is Tanaka would immediately restore rotation parity for SF and even if slotted in the five position, would frequently face staff aces due to the vagaries of the schedule.

Chances are, though, that the billionaire-fronted Giants ownership group is as tightfisted as Scrooge McDuck and would be unwilling to put up the cash that slightly bigger market teams such as the Evil Empire and the dark-winged Angels are likely to proffer to tempt Tanaka. I’d hate to see the chances of winning the West being erased on accounta mere money. In the end, the big bats may garner the headlines, but when push comes to push back harder, mound magic wins more often than not.

29. Bozo said, on November 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Great local weather guy quote, “Seek a sturdy structure, try and protect your head”.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 495 other followers