Reaction to Bruce Jenkins Interview

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 27, 2013

Nolasco signed with The Twins. Terms haven’t been disclosed yet. Man, how much would it suck if your pitching staff was The Twins? Nolasco instantly becomes their ace with Correia and Deduno the #2/#3. I don’t think they’ve sorted out #4/#5 yet. That’s a small problem they might want to address.

Bruce Jenkins was on KNBR today, I caught a bit of it while I was driving around finishing off last second birthday present purchases (my daughter turned 11 today). When asked if the Giants need to make another move he instantly and confidently said *yes* that they have to fill LF hole and find a 5th starter. He emphasized the 5th starter (he said Arroyo) because of something I hadn’t really considered. He said that if the Giants aren’t going to be able to compete with the Dodgers payroll-wise (few could) the Giants need to at least field a starting 5 that is as good as the Dodgers starting 5 and that the only way they could come close to doing that is to go rock solid (if not spectacular) from 1 through 5. He didn’t say this, but the assumption was that there was no way they could field 8 position players that matched the Dodgers 8 starting position players so matching their starting pitchers would be the most realistic goal for Sabean if all he has to do is add one more starting pitcher. And frankly, Jenkins’ point made a ton of sense…..

He was also asked a stupid hypothetical question of would it make sense for the Giants to trade Panda to the A’s for Cespedes (or, would the teams make that deal). He immediately said “of course the Giants would do it but there’s no way the A’s would.” And he’s right. His reasoning didn’t include the most important reason and that’s that the A’s have one of the best 3rd basemen in all of baseball in Josh Donaldson so why would they want to add the Panda? But all of his others reasons were sound, too. The A’s would be fools to gift us Cespedes for Sandoval. Too bad, how exciting would it be if that trade ever actually happened?

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on November 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm

A Happy Birthday shout out to Katie that’s cranked to eleven, because it’s one louder.

I always liked Jenkins, his pouting when Bonds would blow off an interview was a bit much, but I’ve always respected his opinions, even when I didn’t agree with him.

I read somewhere awhile back that one of the main reasons the Giants wanted Arroyo was because of the innings. So get er done. Then trade for a starting outfielder and we’re good to go.

Happy T day all. As my local weatherman says, “Try and protect your head”. Gotta love it.

2. paulinasia said, on November 27, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thursday morning here in China, Thanksgiving Eve in the US. Just want to wish all Flappers a happy Thanksgiving as we appreciate all the things we have to be thankful for. This is the time of year (Thanksgiving through New Year) that I really miss the festive times back in the US with family and friends. I’m a goin’ huntin’ for a turkey today but will likely end up with a dinner of rice and curry chicken. Might even find a sweet potato, which would make it feel like Thanksgiving, a little… And indeed, be safe and careful out there, protecting your heads and everything else…

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 6:41 am

What about Peking Duck?

• paulinasia said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:38 am

Good call, Steve, found some bbq duck. Not bad. And a sweet potato. Life is good… :-) Happy T-giving, my friend.

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:44 am

I would eat Peking duck every day and twice on Sunday if given the choice between the duck and a turkey. In fact, usually I forgo turkey on Thanksgiving (usually too dry) and hope wherever I am, the host has ham as well (as is the case today).

3. willedav said, on November 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Padres supposedly they are looking for LHP in pen and LH power, so why not toss them Sando and Affledt to get back Headley and Denorfia? To cover 3b re-sign Uribe–you’ve got OF covered plus RH pop from two guys.

4. Flavor said, on November 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm

We just dumped Peguero off the 40 man for some chump lefty scrap heaper from the Padres? What the fuck is going on? Does Sabean have any plan at all for the minor league system?

5. stixwiz said, on November 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Twins were hot on the heels of Arroyo but ended up signing Nolasco. So one of the most motivated competitors for the innings-eater may no longer be quite as hungry. Also possible that price and terms of service may be reduced a bit. Though with the Japanese and MLB now kissing and making up Tanaka may be back on the board. But unless the owners go for the gusto and play hardball that one is a long-shot. So maybe Arroyo looks a bit better this evening.

6. stixwiz said, on November 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm

At 28 and with a mediocre 8-year MiL record, Cordier seems like a strange pickup. Pirates got him via the Braves org last year and transformed him into a reliever for the first time in his career. Though his ERA remained mediocre at best his K. ratio took a big jump. The Dominican kid the Padres released is just 23 and may have some upside. He looks likely to be bound for Richmond while the other may stuff Fresno a bit. I had thought there were others who would be let go before Peguero (whom i thought might hang around one more season) and Monell, who did have a good season for Fresno.

Guess the Giants figure they know pitching, but are frequently challenged on their position pickups. Guess by July or so we’ll have some idea of how these moves turn out.

7. blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:00 am

I hope this MLB “rumor” isn’t true . . . http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/giants-nearing-deal-with-ryan-vogelson.html

I haven’t even had my turkey dinner yet and I have indigestion.

• stixwiz said, on November 28, 2013 at 9:28 am

So Vogelsong gets re-upped for maybe $3M + inducements and performance bonuses and the net change in the Rotation would be swapping out Zito for his old Oakland moundmate Hudson. Hmm. AND at this point the Giants would actually have reduced total payroll. This indicates to me that they are pretty sure that the San Jose Five will start hitting The Show by 2015 and that Escobar must be considered as being very nearly good to go. No other scenario makes sense to me off the top.

Organizational loyalty to the players as shown by SF is rare and commendable. Has it gone too far in the case of Vogelsong? We should have a pretty good idea by some point in May, if indeed this move does finalize. There had to be some pretty intense scouting and evaluation.

Fan-base attitude will be at best, ho-hum. That just about requires that a big splash be made at the looming Winter Meetings for a major trade/upgrade in L.F. We could still be looking at a trade with the Twins for Willingham. As Flav noted above, that organization is now looking at Nolasco as their ace and is really huffing and chuffing for a 4th and 5th starter. Maybe Surkamp and Blach would do the trick? After their biggest FA splash ever, Minnesota may be looking at a salary dump for their slugger as well as a pitching pickup.

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 10:05 am

“There had to be some pretty intense scouting and evaluation.”

Stix, from everything I have read and reviewed (a half dozen articles) – this is the case. The Giants believe that Vogelsong’s arm is healthy again, i.e., he was negatively affected by a short offseason, then pitching in the World Baseball Classic in March. As we are all aware, his strikeout rate took a nosedive, his average fastball velocity fell below 90 miles per hour, and Vogelsong’s secondary numbers weren’t a whole lot more promising than his ugly ERA. Nevertheless, I am beginning to see the Giants rationale for this move, as it will allow the Giants to spend the necessary funds to upgrade left field (see my 7:20am post). All in all, I am beginning to like this plan, especially if it means the Giants can spend some decent coin on an outfielder.

8. blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:20 am

At this moment, the Giants are under last year’s payroll by about $4.5 million I estimate . . . Consequently, the more I think about what the payroll is and how much more they can increase it, these 2 things will definitely happen (you read it here): 1. Vogelsong WILL BE SIGNED; and, 2. We will get a new left fielder via trade or free agency. Book it.

• paulinasia said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:41 am

Agree on both counts. And, Steve, see my reply above to your comment about Peking duck…. :-) Yo, dude, will I see you in Bangkok January 12-14?

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:52 am

I am working on it Paul. Right now, I am heading to the SF bay area on Wednesday (there for a week) and when I get back, I will think seriously about where I am going early next year.

Related to baseball, I wish the Rockies were in another division – they are seriously considering offers for Dexter Fowler, where they would like bullpen help. Romo would be a perfect trade chip with them, except for them being in the same division. Right now, they are eyeing the Kansas City Royals, where the KC Star is reporting that relievers Aaron Crow and Tim Collins are available, and Wade Davis is a candidate to be moved after the signing of free-agent starter Jason Vargas. Fowler has his own issues, but he would be an upgrade over anything we have currently in left field (in fact, he would definitely move Pagan over to left field if he came here).

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:56 am

Say hi to Aunt Mary, Steve.

• paulinasia said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:58 am

My Bangkok stay in mid-January is short.. just a way-station, really, between China and the lunar new year holiday that i will spend in the US. Might have more time in Bangkok on the return near mid-February. Let’s talk offline about that. Dexter Fowler. I know little about him, but he’s got a great name…

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 28, 2013 at 7:55 am

Happy Day of Thanks. I met some Italian lady at an organic farm the other day, and I think she called it Festa Graziemento. Italian always sounds so musical. Mangia, boys and girls. And Happy Birthday to Katie, bar the door.

10. paulinasia said, on November 28, 2013 at 8:00 am

Yo, Pawlie, happy T-giving, hope all’s well and hope to see you in Thailand sometime (Steve as tour director)..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 28, 2013 at 8:02 am

Same to you Herr Doppelganger Nomen. I’d better start saving bail money.

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 8:05 am

Pawlie, I will see Aunt Mary a week after this Saturday, at our (extended) family Christmas get-together. I will let her know.

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 8:03 am

No, that would be Paul’s job Pawlie . . . I am the student. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all Flappers! By the by, where is our Brit cuz, Ed??????

11. Irish Kevin said, on November 28, 2013 at 9:51 am

Happy Thanksgiving to my Giants fan family!! Eat, drink and have fun with your families today!! Happy Birthday Katie!! My moms Birthday is today, 88 years young!! Love too all!

• blade3colorado said, on November 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

Good deal Kev . . . Happy B day to your mom and to Flav’s daughter, Katie!

12. ewisco said, on November 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

Happy Thanksgiving knuckleheads!

13. sandy32koufax said, on November 28, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Flappers. Cheers to your daughter too, Flav. I’m out…enjoy the holiday.

14. Flavor said, on November 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hope you guys are all having a great day. Quiet and simple on this front. Just thankful for my beautiful angel. Enjoy whoever you’re with today. And I hope you all nail your dinners!

15. twinfan1 said, on November 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Flavor said, on November 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm

you too, Twin. Someday you’ll have to explain what a pineapple upside down cake is. That sounds like something that gets created at a frat party. :)

• sandy32koufax said, on November 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Swear to God? PUC is manna!

• twinfan1 said, on November 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

It’s a very good dessert for a young person to make- and yummy,”The “upside down” refers to the fact that it’s turned over after baking- revealing a pineapple- brown sugar “topping” that has baked beneath the batter. Old fashioned recipes are best for this. The Betty Crocker recipe is simple and delicious. The base for her batter is her “supermoist” yellow cake that you’ll find at almost any grocery store.I skip the cherries.

betty

• willedav said, on November 28, 2013 at 8:52 pm

oh man, my godson’s mom makes a killer one, and has for since before he was born. And he’s 31.

16. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Hey, happy thanksgiving, all! Hope you are all having fun with whatever’s going on.

Just found out another little factoid around this whole Sandawg, his son and my daughter deal. Today is my daughter’s 21 birthday. Today is also Sandawg’s birthday.

You can’t make this shit up.

17. TedSpe said, on November 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I had no idea Katie’s birthday was just around the same as mine. Wow!!
    Happy Birthday, Katie!
    And Happy Thanksgiving, Flappers.
    I told Pawlie that the 27th was my birthday and he wished me, to paraphrase his somewhat adult language, that I could have a birthday filled with–ahem–carnal knowledge with members of the totally opposite sex with multitudes of females of the Asian persuasian. I thanked him and let him know that I *was* spending the evening with a multitude of females of the Asian persuasian but unfortunately, they consisted of my 18 year old Goddaughter, her 13 year old sister, her 51 year old mother and her 74 year old Gran-an. I said this was like an analogy of the old monkey’s paw story and he asked me for an embellishment. So I relayed just one of many variations of this thrice told tale. Which I will now regale ya’ll with. Just another variation. This is a different one then I told pawlie:

Sergean, a friend of the Whites who has been part of the British Army in India, introduces them to the monkey’s paw, telling of its mysterious powers to grant three wishes and of its journey from an old fakir to his comrade, who used his third wish to wish for death.

Sergeant-Major Morris throws the monkey’s paw into the fire but White quickly retrieves it. Morris warns White, but White, thinking about what he could use the paw for, ignores him.

Mr. White wishes for £200 to be used as the final payment on his house. Having made the wish his son, Herbert, is killed by machinery at the factory where he works. The couple gets compensation of £200.

Ten days after the funeral, Mrs. White, almost mad with grief, asks her husband to use the paw to wish Herbert back to life. Reluctantly, he does so. Shortly afterwards there is a knock at the door. Mrs. White fumbles at the locks in an attempt to open the door. Mr. White knows, however, that he cannot allow their revived son in, as his appearance will be too hideous. Mr. White was required to identify the body, which had been mutilated by the accident. It has now lain buried for more than a week. While Mrs. White tries to open the door, Mr. White makes his third wish (for his son to be dead and in his grave), and the knocking stops. Mrs. White opens the door to find no one there.

Fun, huh?

Now, back to sexy Asian chicks. So yesterday was my birthday party but today was Thanksgivings Day. My Chinese sister’s husband invited this really cute chick from work who just came here from Taiwan 3 months ago. It was extremely awkward for me cuz it was obvious he invited her because a) She had nothing else to do this day and b)He knows I dig chicks what have that particular orientation. Since everyone else knew everyone else–I took it upon myself to make this lovely girl feel comfortable amongst these unfamiliar surroundings.

Now, no, gentlemen (?), this is not going to end up sounding like a letter written to Penthouse. I made her laugh and I made her comfortable and I made her relax with my well known bon mot witticisms. As she left, I declined to walk her to her car because my Chinese sister’s husband was the one who invited me to go along with him and it felt a trifle–awkwarrrrrd.
    But the whooooole family will be back there Saturday with the whole Uncles, Aunties, Cousins, Nieces and Nephews (and this time, we’ll actually have Turkey) and I *did* invite her to attend once again.

So, there’s my weird story–to be continued soon.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving, Flavor Nation. I got this in just before midnight.

18. Chipower9 said, on November 29, 2013 at 7:49 am

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Flappers. I hope you all had a safe and happy day spent with family and friends (or hot Asian chicks as the case might be for Paul and Ted – GRIN).

I was initially bummed when I heard the Giants were close to signing Vogey. I dig him for all he has done over the past couple of years, but I really wanted the team to go in another direction for a 5th starter (Arroyo the Inning Eater, etc.).

But when I heard (as most of you probably have) that this will close the door on starters, and that Sabes and crew will now focus on a trade for a LFer, I felt better.

Supposedly the team feels solid about Petit, Edwin Escobar and possibly the groper to provide depth for the rotation.

Regarding Cordier, the 27 YO righty they picked-up, while his minor league stats are not that impressive, I guess the guy can consistenly bring it in the 98-100 range. Maybe Tidrow saw something that he thinks he can work with. Who the hell knows. But suprising that they cut loose with Peguro and Monel to make room for two minor-leaguers.

Anyway, if the team signs Vogey (and indeed have some options for depth), AND go get a legif LFer, then I am down with the moves.

Here is a link to an interesting (I thought anyway) story in today’s Merc about a woman who lost her dad at an early age to lukemia. He was a career minor leaguer and ultimately big league coach for the Cubs. Anyway, she is on a quest to find a recording of her father’s voice, and has a blog about her dad, baseball, and this quest. I read the most recent thread from her blog. In the thread she mentions Keith Olbermann doing a story about her quest. Anyway…I thought it all a good read and wanted to share.

So throw another log on the Hot Stove and bring us a bona-fide LFer!

Make it an awesome Friday and weekend. Belated birthday wishes to Katie!

• snarkk said, on November 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Pardon me if I also don’t do post-turkey handsprings about the possibility of Voggy coming back. If he does, iit will be at a cheap price. And, it will mean he’s on the bubble with Petiit and Gauidn and maybe even Escobar at the last starter in the rotation. Voggy, if signed, has no room IMO to screw up in Spring Training…

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 29, 2013 at 10:08 am

Sheesh, you guys are fun. TedSpe and Stix, it is good to see you two posting again here. Twin, pineapple upside-down cake is among my faves, with maraschino cherries and sometimes whipped cream. Yum.

20. zumiee said, on November 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, folks.
    I’m thankful for many things; one of them is that Fresno St. is still undefeated. :) Another one of them is the Dodgers not getting to the World Series.
    Speaking of football….. shouldn’t the Steeler coach be suspended for a game? That’s my opinion, anyway. That was about as cheesy as it gets in the world of sports.
    I like the Giants’ signing of Hudson.
    Like everyone else I want to see something cool happen with the leftfield position.
    I haven’t read a baseball book recently. I’m currently reading Doris Kearns Goodwin’s new book about Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive era. Very interesting book. It has a lot of relevance to what’s happening now.

• snarkk said, on November 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Tomlin should get a one game suspension. That was blatant as hell, they even showed close ups afterwards and he was snickering about it. You can’t allow coaches to come onto the field of play and disrupt the other team’s players during a play. That’s crazy if they allow that. NBA fined Kidd $50K for the fake coke spilling incident. Tomlin should get at least that. BTW, Kidd as coach looks like a train wreck in the making…

21. Chipower9 said, on November 29, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I am thankful for many things, but one that I am especially thankful for is The Flap, and all you Flappers to discuss one of my favorite topics…SF Giants baseball.

Thanks Flavor for providing the blog, and thanks to all the Flappers for making it an awesome community.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 488 other followers