Bold Moves Yesterday in Baseball

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 3, 2013

Two pretty crazy trades went down yesterday as well as a free agent pitcher signing while Sabean passively offered arbitration to his uninspiring arb eligible players…..

The Tigers and the Orioles made 2 head scratcher deals with Detroit sending Fister to the Nationals for next2nothing and Baltimore giving the A’s Jim Johnson who has 101 saves over the last 2 seasons. On paper, it seems like both the Tigers and the Orioles got taken for a ride. The A’s finished the day off with a 2 year/22 million dollar deal for Scott Kazmir—

The Fister deal is particularly galling since it seems that one of the better starting pitchers in the AL could be had for peanuts. It would have been nice to have Doug Fister on our team instead of Ryan Vogelsong. Did Sabean even know he was available?

I’m hoping that Sabean scrambles around to find Dan Duquette’s cell phone number. I never saw the Romo-to-Orioles proposed deal as a possibility– it didn’t make any sense to send Romo to a team with a closer who has 101 saves under his belt across the last 2 seasons. But now it makes perfect sense, provided that the Orioles can’t possibly be considering giving the job to K-Rod. He should change his nickname to Walk-Rod.

The deals that went down in baseball yesterday are EXACTLY the type of deals that Sabean should be working on. Forget all this nonsense about re-signing all the guys who barely kept us out of last place in 2013. You have to keep working to improve your team whenever there is an opportunity to improve it. You can’t just barely fill out your starting staff and then have the barest minimalist approach to cobbling together your position players. The Dodgers can buy whoever they want to put together a championship team. We have to do it with slick, aggressive moves. There should be no vacation for Brian Sabean. Ever. Work until your eyeballs fall out of your head. Other GM’s are doing it, why shouldn’t Sabean?

Since I can’t stand to hear him give up in July like he did last year I’ll say it for him now in December: 2014 is shaping up to be a bad penny year……..

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:30 am

Definitely not impressed with Johnson. Dude really has only one good pitch, a sinker ball. Not surprised the Orioles said adios, i.e., they wanted salary relief from the $10 million he’s projected to earn this year. For a reliever? No way. That being said, he did get a shitload of saves, but I definitely would not want him as one of my fantasy league closers, as he has a tendency to blow saves (led the league last year in that department I think).

Weeks has an opportunity to fulfill the promise he showed the season before last. Obviously, he face planted last year. Change of scenery will do him good.

Keep the faith Flavor . . . Still early in the hot stove season. I don’t think Sabes is done, but we will see. I’ve never seen you this low on the guy. Hopefully, he won’t disappoint you (and the rest of us). ;-)

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

Blade– I’m down on him because I’m still doing a slow burn about his “bad penny year” comment from last freaking June (it might have been July, I can’t remember). Then he sat on his hands the rest of the season. Fuck that. No GM should ever be allowed to give up half way through the season.

• willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:04 am

That one didn’t bother me as much. I think he was being accurate–if the Giants as a team didn’t start playing better they weren’t going anywhere, and they really didn’t until Pagan returned. The SPs not named Bum were bad, defense was shoddy at times and after initial hot start of the bats (and loss of Pagan) nobody seemed to pick up the slack including some very high priced players he just gave a ton of $$$ to.
        Outside of grabbing a couple stellar SPs to replace Zito and Vogs, which would have been a tough chore mid season, I don’t think Sabes could have improved SF position. Sando was down, Crawford went backwards, Scuts was hurt, none of the call ups (save maybe Abreu and Perez for brief spurts) filled in adequately. Even Posey second half sucked–you can’t replace everyone except Belt and Pence.

2. Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:40 am

Side note from this thread: I was driving in to work this morning and they teased the next segment on KNBR by saying they were going to have Vern Lundquist on coming up. Didn’t really care, don’t have an opinion about him one way or the other. But I have been listened to all the Iron Bowl tv and radio calls from that incredible game, mostly cause I find them so funny. The “oh my god! oh my god!” guy is the best by the way. Anyway, Lundquist came on and it turns out he did the game that day for CBS. I didn’t listen to it live so the replay today was the first I’d heard him do it. As I was listening to it I was struck by the brevity of the call but it was also a perfect call in contrast to the idiot homers from Auburn. I swear to God, I thought to myself “I bet this is how Twin’s dad called a football game.” I never heard Twin’s dad call a game, just heard you all talk about it.
    Anyway, Lundquist starts in by giving all the credit to the way he calls a game to Ray Scott and he went on for about 2 minutes about him. It was a surreal moment for me on the way in to work today………

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:26 am

Missed that segment this morning…very cool. I was watching the game live and heard the call…it was awesome that he kind of just let the play unfold and tell the story on its own, to some degree.

Unreal end to a football game. It is games like that with the student body going nuts that makes me really appreciate the college game.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

Summerall was great IMO because he called the NFL games and great moments there the same way. He knew Madden was the comic analyst, and he was the straight man foil. And, more importantly, Summerall figured out that on TV, the viewers can SEE the action. So, minimalist play calling is the best way to go…

3. willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:45 am

Realize the A’s needed a closer–Beane figures cook can’t handle it and neither can the other set up guys. For what they are going to pay Johnson to lead the league in blown saves (more imp stat than saves I think), dunno why they didn’t deal with Balfour. That guy threw heat, was lights out, and is a wacko balls out Aussie to boot. O’s bloggers don’t seem to have much good to say about J-J.
    Kazmir is a pretty big risk at $22 mil for 2 yrs, off one decent season in 4 years when Francona babied and yanked him early. Tho I’m not really sold on Hudson, I think he’s a lot safer bet to pitch effectively for a longer time. Actually, so would Colon, who is available…hmmmn.
    Now…if you want to trade Romo to the O’s, who do you want? From what I read they are looking for LF too (and markakis had down year in RF), so I’m not sure SF is a good partner for a deal.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:55 am

Markakis is frowned upon in Baltimore mostly because he never realized the great potential everyone thought he had coming into the league. He never turned into an all star, that’s true. But he’s quite serviceable. The Romo to Baltimore trade idea was Romo and Belt for Adam Jones. I think I thought a “Blackburn” would have to get thrown in, too.
      But you’re right, Baltimore is thin at the OF spot especially after they traded Hoes to Houston for Bud Norris……

4. Nipper said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:56 am

It’s going to get cold tomorrow. Finally got my thermostat to work. Loosened the screws and it finally springs to life. So far this off season is a bore. Damn is their any talent out there besides old guys who we can sign up? What happened to youth? What happened to the farm system? Are people still going to pay ridiculous prices to see a boring club whiff at the ball all season long? Damn it!

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:57 am

I hate bunting!

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

Then watch the American League…

5. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m down with BF as well when it comes to Sabean “Sitting on his Ass” still polishing off the carcass from Thanksgiving.
    Get involved goddammit!
    Shit right now our starting LF is Blanco.Fuck that!!!!

6. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:27 am

Get involved goddammit!
    Shit right now our starting LFielder is Blanco.Fuck that!!!!

7. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:28 am

OOPS sorry for the double post.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

I kinda liked it twice…

8. willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Despite all their activity, one of the bloggers on MLBTR nailed it imo on the Johnson thread. His points are that Colon is better than Kazmir, and Balfour better than Johnson. So while re-signing both guys would have been expensive, the A’s aren’t *better* by making the two deals, both of which signify Balfour and colon aren’t coming back.

9. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:33 am

Well, I think it is too early to get your knickers in a twist…but that is just my opinion. Fister for some has-been nobodies would have been cool, but missing on that one to me isn’t the end of the world. And who knows if Sabes even had a chance/knew it was going down. None of us do…it isn’t like there was a ton of public traffic out there claiming he was available. Whatever.

Chuck posted this comment yesterday: “1. What I’m saying is they won’t trade anyone that will significantly diminish the position they currently play. So, Pablo, Belt, Pence, Pagan, and Crawfish stay. Scoots won’t get anything, and Posey is the only chip to bargain with.”

I think Hector has improved defensively, and to have a switch-hitting catcher who can park one on occassion, well, I think there may be some interest in him (have heard rumors some teams have inquired). I say you package Hector with a second-tier prospect or two for a LFer.

Again, Posey is not going anywhere soon. And I will be surprised if he is moved from behind the dish anytime soon, either. Time will tell.

10. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:35 am

Oh, the second piece of Chuck’s comment that I forgot to add is: “Fricking Sanchez hit better than Posey in the 2nd half with less than half the ABs if I recall correctly. All the more reason that I think he is the prime trade chip if packaged with some decent 2nd-tier prospects (Crick is completely off the board in any trades, IMO).

11. Bozo said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:00 am

OK, I just went through a really stupid exercise. I checked out the depth charts for most teams, looking to see who the Giants might partner up with for a right handed corner OFer with pop. My conclusion from this futile exercise is that we’re fucked. Unless Sabes can figure out a way to pry Stanton from Miami (ain’t gonna happen), or since Detroit is being stupid and needs a 1B, maybe they’ll trade Dirks for Pill. It’s pretty slim pickings. Granted, I didn’t look at the A’s or NL West and maybe I missed someone on the DL or something but it didn’t look good. Have the Yanks locked up Beltran yet?

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:04 am

Aren’t the Tigers putting Cabrera back at first and they have some hot shot 3B coming up from the minor leagues???

• Bozo said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:11 am

OK, scratch that. We’re really fucked then unless Mac Williamson does a Will Clark like rise through the system.

12. wswins said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hey Flav, I thought that blog closed down but you sure seem bent on getting it up and running again…what was the name of it? Oh yea fire the beans now?

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:29 am

That guy had a brain dead agenda. He didn’t care what Sabean was doing. I am reacting to Sabean’s actions, or lack thereof. If his actions change I will change my reactions. I’ll adjust accordingly, as I always have and always will do….

13. salty said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:56 am

Dombrowski may not want to deal with Sabean since we kick their butts.

14. Giant Head said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:56 am

Any news on what Giant minor leaguers were hurt in that accident???

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

they’re fine

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

any names?

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

The fire department Battalion Chief Rod Thompson said one injury was life threatening. I don’t know that’s true but it’s frightening. Hope it’s not accurate. A police chief says none were life threatening.

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:41 am

let’s pray…hoepfully booze was not involved…

15. gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:03 am

I think signing for Voggy on a one year deal was sensible financially. People here in DC are ecstatic about the theft for Fister. My understanding was that the Tigers had been shopping Scherzer and that they talked to the Giants. One would think if that was accurate, they would have also brought Fister’s name in as a substitute. I would have gone for a Romo-for-Fister deal. But that is based on if Hembree is ready. You all tell me.

I dont see any way the O’s trade Adam Jones for Romo. By my count, I add up the Giants salary with the remaining relievers and bench players to around $138M. Do we expect they are going to to go past $140 mill this year to add a real quality LFer?

Cory Hart still seems the most plausible cheap option. Will suck in the field, but would expect he has 25 homers locked up…

16. stixwiz said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

Available catchers have been going down to new contracts like bowling pins in Cleveland and Milwaukee Polish neighborhoods. Now the last standing starting C. is Saltalmacchia. Both Twins and Marlins are circling the waters on that guy. Two on one situations usually means one team will emerge with hunger pangs intact. Do either of them have an expendable outfielder who would constitute an upgrade? Would Hector plus a MiL pitching prospect or two seal the deal?

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:54 am

I think so…that’s why I mentioned it earlier as a viable alternative. Some have said the Giants do not have any trade chips. I beg to differ and think there would be interest in Hector. And with the right club (they have depth in OFers) and are looking for a catcher (Hector…come on down), and you sweeten it with a tier two pitching prospect, or two I could see this being a viable trade.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:14 am

Actually, I emerge from two on one situations pretty satisfied.

17. gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

You know the guy who intrigues me the most is Mark Trumbo for LF. He had 34 dingers and 100 homers last year. The Angels have plenty of offense if Pujols and Hamilton are healthy and hitting. Is Trumbo expendable then? What would it take to get him. Seems like the Angels weakness is starting pitching and I dont see us having any major league ready starters in our system that the Angels would covet.

Romo for Trumbo? Not sure the Angels are seeking a closer…

18. snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

I can’t believe that Sabean will not be able to come up with a better LF alternative than a platoon with Blanco and a-player-to-be-named-whenever. That is just unacceptable. On the entire face of the baseball globe, there has to be a better option in LF than that for a team that is 5th in MLB revenue and sells out every damn home game. There are probably LFers in Japan that are better than that alternative. Sabes needs to get creative and get it done…

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

Do we know if they have the aprroval to go past $140 mill this year? $150 mill would be sensible…

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

They have my approval… ;)

19. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 10:56 am

Sabean has said the focus will be on a LFer. Geez…the fucking winter meetings haven’t even started. I would be really surprised if Sabes and crew (Evans, Tidrow), etc. are not working it hard, looking for the right deal.

• Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

I hope your right Chi, because Sabean will be ridiculed by the Flap Nation if he doesn’t get a deal for a LF.
      Blanco is not an option to start IMO, only a 4/5 guy.

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I agree, Kat. It is so early, I am just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And to answer GH’s question…yes, payroll is going up this year. I am not aware of a specific figure, but they have the green light.

20. gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:03 am

One major bonus with Trumbo is that he is arb eligible for the first time this year and has two more years of arb eligibility. So at least his contract will be finite for the next couple of years and he cant walk. So his 2014 contract wont be payroll breaker for the Giants. Angels have to deal with Trout and his arb eligibility starting in 2015, but one would expect they are going to work on a long term deal for him…

21. snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:03 am

BTW, the Detroit GM is Dave Dumbrowski. Apparently Sabes didn’t have his phone # either. Detroit blogs are blowing up with near rage about this Fister trade. They know they got hosed. Nats fans, all 6 of them, are ecstatic. Nats now have a rotation that is killer.
    Unless Dumbrowski has some special love for Nats GM Rizzo, I’m going with BF on this one and wondering where Sabes was in this. Did Sabes even know Fister was available? Did he even try to find out? How many other GMs knew about this? To think that Fister could be had for that little in exchange is amazing. 29 year old Fister for two years at $7M 2014 and arb 2015 instead of Voggy for one at $5M? Wow, hard one there to decide…

22. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:39 am

If I had been the Washington GM making this Fister trade, gianthead would be complaining to Flav about how I colluded with the Tigers.*

* You would have to be in the Flap League to understand this joke. ;-)

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:55 am

But that’s a spot on metaphor. Or is that an analogy? Or a simile? What were we talking about?

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Was she a brunette or a red head? And did she have a shaved landing strip???

23. gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:51 am

And I would be right of course:) Collusion or pulling the wool over someone’s eyes as what happened with Fister and that Kershaw trade in fantasy:))) Who is trading me a cy young this year???

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 11:54 am

Grin. Actually, I should have included Dennis as well. I don’t take responsibility for others stupidity to make imbecilic trades. Besides, join a pro league if you want to see how competitive it can be . . . They take no prisoners.

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I did two pro head to head leagues and the one week I took vaaction in August ended up being my worst loss of the season and cost me a playoff spot in one of the two leagues. Fortunately I am in the playoffs in 3 of my 5 money football leagues.

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

The A’s just keep wheeling and dealing. Breath Big Flavor…….breathe…

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Friggin Beane is doing more trades in 36 hours than the Giants do in two years. Ballsy move, he traded his #1 pick OFer “Choice” for a win now platoon OFer in Gentry. Looks like he wants to finally get into the WS, and sees a closing window…

25. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I guess Sabean’s “Coffee cans and string phone” just doesn’t stretch far enough to contact GM’s :)

26. Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 58s
    I’m glad we can focus on the hot stove and not hospitalized Giants prospects today. All indications are that everyone is OK.

27. Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 35s
    The four Giants checked and released from hospital are LHP Bryce Bandilla, RHP Daniel Slania, INF Kelby Tomlinson and RHP Jeff Soptic.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I read a report where Mac Williamson, the supposed next slugging OFer, was also in the van. Not hurt…

28. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I must have just entered Superman’s Bizarro World . . . Cano and the Seattle Mariners are discussing a deal.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Hey, if somebody’s got a big checkbook, who cares if it rains a lot?…

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Good luck hitting in Seattle…if he walks from the Yankees and the Yankees dont attempt to throw stupid dollars at him, will be the best thing for baseball.

29. snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Beane can make a lot of trades because he has to, and he consistently drafts and develops farmhands that are desirable to other teams. And, he has to be creative because his “budget” is a real one…

• willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Beane makes plenty of mistakes (bob geren anyone?), man, and occasionally lucks out also. He traded away Cargo and Street, getting hosed and goes new closer all the time. He had a great one in Balfour but doesn’t want to pay him, I guess, but is OK with tossing $22mil on a total gamble with Kazmir. He attempts to rebuild his IF every year too, with middling results, unless you’re in love with Eric Sogard.
      Donaldson is a total luck out–this guy was in minors as 3rd string C before turning into an AS.
      And, bottom line, he hasn’t won anything.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:24 pm

A couple of div titles in a row? I’d consider that winning something. That’s not bad as the latest success, especially on his budget, which is a real one and less than half the Giant’s budget. Beane’s an egomaniac, but nobody else does more with less. With the number of moves he has to make, he’s going to have hits and misses. I shudder to think what Sabean would do on such a small budget. He’d be either frozen with inaction, or make Garko trades right and left. And, oh, he’d actually have to draft and develop outfielders…

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm

With the exception of your point about Kazmir (a good gamble in my mind . . . Keith Law and Buster Olney love this deal), I agree with most everything you said Willie. Dan O’Dowd will take to his grave the Cargo deal (albeit, he didn’t accomplish much else). Same deal with Street. I have no idea what Beane was thinking in regard to letting Balfour go and trading for Johnson. In my opinion, he will really regret that trade. I’ll give Johnson credit for the 51 saves, but I still maintain that this dude is on borrowed time (as his 9 blown saves hint at). Prior to last season, the Orioles were having serious reservations about him again handling the closer role. Yeah, it worked out for them, but I think he pays the piper with the A’s.

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Well said. Yes, Beane wheels and deals his ass off, but show me the money…oh yeah, he doesn’t have any. Meanwhile, Sabean and Giants have two of the World Series titles over the past four years.

30. James said, on December 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Here’s an anti-doom and gloom thought experiment in defense of “Bad Penny” Sabean. I’ve never liked Sabes much because he is more lucky than good, but in theory his dollar bin mentality should appeal to me — it’s how how I built my record collection!

Ok, let’s assume that runs per games remain static in the NL next year, and that 1320 total runs are again scored in Giants games next season. In order to realize Snarkk’s “2012 plan,” we’d need to shift about 60 runs:

Scored: 689
    Allowed: 631

We could achieve this with a few very plausible, relatively minor improvements and a couple of less likely, major upticks in performance with the existing roster:

Cain reduces his ERA to 3.5 saving about 10 runs
    Vogelsong (Gaudin factored in) reduces his ERA to 4.0 saving about 15 runs
    Timmy reduces his ERA to 4.0 saving about 10 runs
    Hudson (Petit factored in) delivers a 3.75 ERA in place of Zito saving about 25 runs

Posey 875 OPS creating 15 extra runs
    Sandoval 820 OPS creating 25 extra runs
    Belt 850 OPS for full season creating 10 extra runs
    Pagan plays full season at 750 OPS creating 20 extra runs

Presto! Of course, everything else being equal . . . .

• unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm

If wishes were horses, we’d all fly for free.

Uh, or something like that.

• James said, on December 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Well, I hope somebody in the front office believes in a fantasy like this — they could otherwise easily be accused of a cynical disregard for us fans :-)

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I had a plan? When did that happen?…

• James said, on December 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm

The middle of the pack in offense and pitching ala 2012 plan for the Giants. I can’t speak to anything beyond that . . . .

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Oh, THAT plan… ;)

31. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

The Tampa Bay Rays have acquired closer Heath Bell in a three-team trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Cincinnati Reds, reports Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.

The deal will send Bell and catcher Ryan Hanigan to the Rays along with cash considerations, while the Diamondbacks will receive pitcher Justin Choate and a player to be named later. Cincinnati will get lefty pitcher David Holmberg.

Bell had 15 saves in 69 appearances for the Diamondbacks last year, his lowest save total since taking on the role for the Padres in 2008.

32. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I thought I would post ESPN’s “MLB Headlines” to show all the trade and free agent activity. Look, there’s the Giants too . . . Oh wait. Nevermind. :-(

Sources: Seattle emerges in quest for Cano
    Source: Tigers, Nathan near deal | Law Insider
    Source: Red Sox to sign Pierzynski Video | Edes
    Sources: Wilson close to rejoining Dodgers
    Rangers ship Gentry to A’s in 4-player deal
    McCann signs his $85M deal with Yankees Video
    Nats add Fister in trade with Tigers Video | Law Insider
    Orioles deal closer Johnson to A’s for Weeks Video
    Sources: A’s to give Kazmir $22M Video | Law Insider
    Giants minor leaguers injured in van crash
    Pirates acquire catcher Stewart from Yanks
    Navarro agrees to Blue Jays deal | Law Insider
    Olney: Dodgers open to moving Ethier, Kemp Insider

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Gary Brown for Kemp, and LA takes back 80% of Kemp’s salary! OF problems solved!…

33. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Scratch the Rays from needing a closer or catcher. But that means AZs in the running.

34. snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Beane just traded Seth Smith to the Pads for Luke Gregerson, straight up.
    Sheezus, can we pick up some scraps?…

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm

You would have hated Smith. He has below average range, speed, and throwing arm. He is terrible against lefties and no great shakes against righties. In short, this is the downside of a mediocre career. You alluding to “scraps” is spot on.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I don’t want Smith. I want Gregerson…

35. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm

The Colorado Rockies traded center fielder Dexter Fowler to Houston in exchange for right-handed pitcher Jordan Lyles, outfielder Brandon Barnes, and a player to be named later. Hmm, interesting. Still processing this . . .

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Fowler. He’s my favorite Calif. League player of all time. Dexter has had moderate success at the majors, but he was a fun-to-watch dominant player in Single A. Running down drives in the alleys in the outfield, and loaded with power and speed on offense. Very exciting to watch. His problem at the majors is probably that he’s a little too tall, and has that bigger strikezone.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Yeah Zum, he is fun to watch. He is very streaky. He can be “All World” for weeks at a time, then disappear. The other dichotomy about him is that he can’t steal a base to save his life. He has outstanding speed, but he has a lousy success rate and equally important, as with the case of hitting – he disappears, i.e., he rarely uses a great asset. Regardless, the Rockies will minimally miss his glove. He ruled center field and the injury prone Cargo will do well there as well, but only for as long as he is healthy. Shit, him and Tulo have luxury suites in the medical center.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I just looked it up: he’s even taller than I remembered- 6’4″. That height doesn’t help him as a lead-off hitter type.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, Blade, the yearly Tulo and Cargo injuries have to be very frustrating to the Rockies team and fans. Maybe Tulo should switch to thirdbase.

36. zumiee said, on December 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

And Cargo should get Bill James to explain to him why diving for too many balls and getting injured all the time is actually very counter-productive. Barry Bonds never dove very much. He understood that his bat was too important to the team to do that very much. Griffey, Jr. never seemed to understand that. He got injured a lot diving for the ball, and missed a ton of games. It’s different for a guy like Blanco. He’s not all that great as a hitter, and so he can make an impact on defense by making all those dives.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Re: Blanco, I’ll take a guy that can pop 15 HRs in LF and make routine plays and throws over a guy with a wet noodle bat that makes half a dozen great dive plays a year. Great to see, fun to see, but I want hitters…

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Good point regarding Cargo. Yep, it will be even worse in center field for him. I would rate the outfield at Coors as one of the most difficult ones to field, especially for the center fielder.

37. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Question to Willie or anyone else who watches the Warriors regularly. How good is David Lee? Give me specifics. I’ve only rarely seen him play. Who impacts him on minutes, i.e., he is only averaging 29.33 per game? Wondering why it is that low (is it Bogut?). In my pay league, I swung a deal a couple of weeks ago, where I hauled in Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard for Stephen Curry (with the intention of eventually getting rid of Howard via trade. I hate his game. Can’t shoot a free throw to save his life and all his great defensive numbers are on a downhill curve). Anywho, I just traded Howard and Markieff Morris (inconsistent as hell) for Lee. Thanks!

• willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm

With emergence of more scoring options, as in barnes Thompson and to lesser extent Iguodala, it seems Lee is getting less touches. He’s a one on one player with about 15 foot range at best. Last few times I’ve watched him he has had trouble finishing. He does come out and set the high screen for Curry a lot, but that’s also what Bogut does a lot, so when that happens Lee is kind of lost in the shuffle. I’d like him more if he drew more shooting fouls and got to the FT line more; I think those numbers are down this year too, but not really sure.
      I actually think his days here are numbered if Green continues to develop–he has legit 3 pt range and is more athletic and a better defender. End of tight games some times lately, Lee is not on the floor even with Ig being out. Maybe it’s just a match up thing/isolated incident.
      Lee continues to put up decent numbers, but I’m not sure he can keep that up as younger guys develop..

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thanks Willie! Great comments.

38. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

100% (not 90, 80, 70, or 60%) of the comments at the Denver Post are negative about the Fowler trade. The venom spewed is quite comparable to what happened right before the townspeople stormed Frankenstein’s castle with pitchforks and torches. :-)

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm

that doesn’t surprise me at all. Lyles? He sucked at sea level, what’s he gonna do *up there*? Is he at least a ground ball pitcher? I didn’t check his GB% I just know his K-% is b-a-d. For his sake, I hope he keeps the ball on the ground…….

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Part of the reason that the fans are pissed has to do with their disastrous trade (as well as the biggest one they did last season) involving Wilton Lopez from these same Houston Astros. In fact, they’ve almost become “favorite sons” insofar as trade partners. In short, the fans rationale makes sense – How the fuck do you improve your team when you’re only trading partner is worse than you?

39. stixwiz said, on December 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm

After last year’s sorry stand pat stance following the Championship run and now with Hot Stove season all aglow in most of baseball it’s pretty understandable to note the anxiety and frustration among so many bloggers. Sabean is clearly under the gun with a large chunk of Giants fandom. Winter Meetings happen next week. Meanwhile trades are going down all over the place ~ particularly, once again, EastBay.

We do have to credit Sabean and the Train Bust for his demonstrated loyalty in sticking to the players who have made up the two WS runs, particularly this post-season. Yet, we need to keep in mind that there is a natural tendency among players on winning teams to slack up a bit, or at least to not go ballz to the walls with an all-out effort. Solution to that is new blood. Somebody who is totally ringless but hardly clueless. A player or players up to their eyeballs in grit, gumption and determination.

My ideal left field candidate may not even exist. He’d be a speedster who can swipe bases almost at will. He’d draw walks, plink singles to the opposite field, leg out a fair number of doubles, turn some doubles into triples and play exciting defense. Giants might even switch him into CF and move Pagan over to left. So i’m thinking about a guy who would drive opposing pitchers to distraction, keep infielders jittery, send outfielders all over the place trying to con out his next splat and fill catchers’ cups with slimy, stinky sweat. Player i’d like to see in orange and black would not necessarily be an established star, or maybe not even terribly highly regarded by his present organization. If there are any potential Brett Butlers out there Sabean should be on em like bluebottle flies on fresh cowflop.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm

solid post and I think you’re dead on about players having hangovers (my word, not yours) coming off WS winning seasons. Honestly, I think the Yankees are pretty immune to that because of the culture they have there. Of course, they’ve only won a single world series in the last dozen or so years so they haven’t had much practice with fielding a team that doesn’t get hit with a hangover coming off a world series win. :) :) :)

40. Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Blade— to answer your D-Lee question: first of all, this is begging for a WillieD answer all the way. And I don’t understand or analyze basketball defensive metrics even a little bit. But my opinion from watching him play this year is that he’s just not very good defensively. He’ll pull down some boards but he doesn’t seem to stop the player he’s guarding from scoring. He also doesn’t look like he rotates over to help anyone out on D, either. I’m guessing that’s why Jack doesn’t give him more minutes—Jack is all about D and Lee don’t play that game. Others more gifted with an eye to basketball could shed more and probably better light on your question.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Thanks! Good insight. I am getting killed in free throws and turn overs (both counting stats in my pay league). Howard made each of those worse. Lee’s 9.2 rebounds per game pales against Howard’s 12.3. He also doesn’t block shots – another important category in NBA FL (probably the most important besides assists because so few NBA guys are good at it). However, I have other guys that can take up the slack.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:22 pm

By the by Flav, I messed up on Lee’s minutes – he is actually averaging 33.10 (much better than the 29:33 I thought I read). My bad.

41. Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Think the Yankee fans out there are jizzing in their pants about Ellsbury for 7 years/million? Um, fuck that all day long. I’d love to have Ellz on my team next year, he’d be a fab-fit at AT&T park both defensively and offensively. And he would instantly make our outfield probably the best defensive OF in baseball with Pence in RF and Pagan shifted over to left field, a spot he’s probably better suited for. Not to mention it send the White Shark to the bench, a spot he is absolutely more suited for……
    But there’s no way in hell I want the Giants locking up 153 million to an injury prone speedster outfielder who doesn’t have any pop and who you cannot call a franchise player—there’s already a guy like that and now he makes less money than Ellsbury. His name is Carl Crawford…….

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm

A lot of these FAs are duds relying on past reputations that are long gone. No wonder Sabean is not keen on making a major move.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm

there aren’t *a lot* of 153 million dollar deals getting consummated. But I agree with you about the *past reps*. There are also deals that have gone down that aren’t dealing with 100% *past reps*. The Fister deal and the Fowler deal are still speculative.

42. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Well Elsbury would be the closest fit to Stix’s request for the Giants.
    Perfect Leadoff hitter,tablesetter like Brett Butler use to be, great OBP, Speed to burn,Great D, would get to balls in CF that Pagan could only dream about.Shifting Pagan to LF is the best scenario.And then Boch has options in that 2 hole with Scoots are Pagan helping set the table for the boppers.
    Yeah to good a player for Sabean’s closed mind I guess.
    I don’t see the overall injury bug with him.Not like Panda the last few years.Yeah its big coin and risk like alot of players,but my 2 cents says excitement at the top of the LU so make a splash.Then again Sabes is now in winter hibernation mode, so all bets are off.

43. willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Blade something else that impacts Lee’s touches negatively is the health of Bogut, who is playing more, and the acquisition of Jermaine O’Neal, who has done well in limited minutes. GS used to go small sometimes with Lee as the only big, which doesn’t happen anymore. As I’m watching right now they are actually playing O’Neal and Bogut at the same time and posting up O’Neal every time (green is in for Lee). And right now getting their asses kicked by Raptors in early going, down 17 end of first q.
    As Flav said, Lee is not a good defender, and steals/blocks aren’t his game.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Actually, I have Bogut as a “handcuff” so to speak on my FL team, as well as Nikola Pekovik, Derrick Favors and Robin Lopez. Consequently, I wont miss Howard’s blocks and rebounds. Hard to explain, but it’s a 9 category league and all of the categories are worth 12 points. I am really doing great in all categories, except free throws and turn overs. Howard is atrocious in free throws and not much better at turn overs which you well know is unbelievable for a center. Guards I can understand, but a center shouldn’t be averaging 3.1 TOs like he is.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm

One other thing – teams actually employ a “hack a shaq” defense against Howard, especially in the last quarter of a game. For example, Bogut might shoot 2-3 free throws in a game . . . Howard will usually shoot 10-15 free throws because the other team knows he sucks, so they foul him.

44. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Dubs were down by 27. Now down by 8. 7:30 left. Crazy.

45. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, with Barnes, Green, and Bogut getting minutes, Lee gets less time. He’s good offensively as a cutter to the bucket, but he’s pretty much a statue on defense.

46. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Dubs up 2!!!!!!!!!!!

• willedav said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

amazing comeback. Barnes O’Neal Dray Klay and Curry last 5 on the floor here 2 min to go, Lee subs back for O only. Tough to get too many boards that way. O’Neal looks great scoring and rebounding inside. Barnes too–last few games I’ve seen him use turn around J moves like Jordan used to, dipping and diving and going up and under to score inside. Couple years he’s gonna avg. 20 a game, as he a drills a clutch 3!

47. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Yup. 8-11 on the treys in the 4th.

48. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Unreal game.

49. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Down by 27 and they win by 9

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 451 other followers