Preparing Myself Now For an Underwhelming Winter Meetings

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 5, 2013

The Winter Meetings are going down next week and Sabean is reporting that he’ll be powering down a fried steak and the big beers at the best strip club in Orlando (although some light googling showed that he’s going to need to make the drive to Tampa for the best strip clubs in Florida). He’s also going to have to find time to work on his tan and if he’s gotta drive to Tampa I’m not sure when he’ll fit that all that in. Conundrum. Oh well, I’m sure he’ll work it out. One recommendation for Sabes: When it’s time to “make it rain” on the hoes I hope he has the decency to toss the dollar bills. He can’t throw coins at them. Do not make it hail on the hoes. Make it rain….

One thing we know he won’t be doing is making any moves to improve his team. Nothing “earth shattering” or anything and those are his words, not mine. The Winter Meetings are lame now anyway, in case anyone missed it, the *Winter Meetings* have been going down over the last week and a half. I predict multiple GM caravan’s headed from Orlando to Tampa next week…….

I’ll put this out to Flavor Nation: Do you believe it’s likely we suffer a major injury to a starting position player next year? It’s likely, right? Who will be filling in for that guy? And I don’t want to hear about Arias or Abreu or any of that nonsense. We have the lightest, barest, weakest group of 8 position players of all but a handful of the worst teams in all of baseball. We are screwed if we go into the season with the 8 position players currently slated to start for us.

I’ll be referring back to all of these threads when Sabean starts trotting out his “bad penny” white flag official statement after Gregor Freaking Blanco goes down with a knee injury in late June of next year……..

About these ads

1. willedav said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

From what he said, which is just for publication, I’m sure he’s looking into guys, just nothing *earth shattering*. And that’s been his MO for a while now. So, no Hamilton, Pujols, Werth, Mc Cann, Cano Nolasco or Ellsbury deals which is fine with me. Now Garza I could dig, along with Uribe for IF depth.
    One guy I was thinking of as someone who resembles what others have said they want would be…Cody ross. That one I think Sabes might have made a mistake on, since he hasn’t been able to find a guy like that since he let him walk, and Sox and AZ have ponied up. Of course, he did get hurt and miss significant time last year.
    Anyone else for LF is not going to be anything special–Willingham or Morse types coming off down year, etc.By definition, bench guys are replacement level players, guys who shuffle from team to team every year. Good guys to have, like frenchy the 2b from 2012? sure, but bloomquist schumaker and punto, let alone Gentry, aren’t anything special and ultimately aren’t going to make a huge amount of difference in whether SF wins it all or not.

2. Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:52 am

Kelly Johnson would have been a fine addition to the team. Not a main piece but certainly a guy who’s proven he can play consistently at the major league level. And he can play a bunch of positions. Anyway, he’s off the board too, 3mil/1yr to the Yankees.

3. Bozo said, on December 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

For bench guys I really like Morse and Omar Infante. Morse could be the starting LFer with Blanco coming in for D in the later innings, plus he can play some 1B if needed. Omar, mostly plays 2B which is a good thing but he can also play SS, 3B and some OF. Both guys have some pop from the right side and both guys could be gotten at a price that won’t fuck up the budget.

I read this article on Yahoo about how the bad contract with BJ Upton will make it difficult to keep their young talent as they go into the arb years. It was interesting to me that a team that’s known for young talent, could already be hamstrung on future signings because of the one fucked up contract. http://tinyurl.com/kfw9lwj

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:08 am

Interesting article, Bozo; thanks.
      It’s almost unreal the lousy seasons B.J. Upton and Uggla had for the Braves last season.

4. Nipper said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:14 am

Never fall in love with any of these FAs. Never pay them for lots of years. Cody Ross? Are you kidding me? He’s not worth it. NO WAY!

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:27 am

Baltimore picking up Peguero. It would be interesting to see if he performs in that org.

6. willedav said, on December 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

Flav, if Giants had announced they’d signed Kelly Johnson, would that have made your day? Solid player, versatile, maybe hits .280 and brings 8-10 bombs off the bench and helps team win a few games, sure. Infante too. Even with the Hairstons Schumakers and Puntos of the world filling in for injured starters, LA didn’t take off last year until Puig arrived and Hanley got healthy, plus Uribe and Crawford. It’s the guys SF has already that are gonna win it or lose it. Maybe Sabes gets lucky and finds another Burrell or Huff off scrap heap.
    I still think James is right, any middle road candidate for LF isn’t going to matter near as much as what a half run or more ERA improvement each from SPs would. I’d like one more good one myself.
    Giants aren’t getting Gerardo Parra, or Stanton, or Choo or Trout. They won 2012 without the second half from Melk when everyone said LA would romp b/c of AGon and Hanley. And LA got exposed again by good pitching in the playoffs.
    For all those who admire Beane so much, most of what he has done so far revolves around strengthening his pitching while dumping off unproductive bench players.

7. gianthead said, on December 5, 2013 at 10:45 am

I dont see anything earth shattering at the winter meetings, I think the payroll precludes anything big for left field and we simply dont have the young major-league ready players that are coveted to make a deal. Brewers are now going to put Braun in right, so it seems Cory Hart is not in their plans unless he converts to first. I had predicted in that Free Agent contest he signs with the Giants. I dont think that is far-fetched. A $5 mill one year deal with some incentives is I think in range and quite appropriate. Blanco plays some left and center and defensive replacement for Hart. Morse is maybe a cheaper alternative to Hart and probably produces similar numbers.

My worry is not so much an injury to the 8 position players, but worried that Cain and Lincecum have both never suffered a major injury yet. Pray to God it is not about to happen any time soon.

I could see the annual injury to Panda and Scutaro ir probably going to end up on the DL at some point, Infante does not seem like a likely option. He is going to start for someone and be paid as a starter….

8. snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

Panda obviously would seem the most likely injury possibility. I assume the Giants medicos know what’s what about his throwing elbow. Seems to me the offseason is a time to clean those chips out. If he goes down next season off and on irregularly with that bad wing, like he’s done the past two seasons, or it starts to cause throwing problems again, I’m going to wonder what they’ve been doing. As for Scutaro, we heard all last season he had a bad back. Why? What? Nobody explained it as far as I know, except in vague terms. So, we’ll probably hear next month he had surgery or something ala Franchez. Bad backs normally don’t get better after one more year of age, if it’s a chronic thing. As for Sabean, I don’t pay much attention anymore to what the guy says. It’s always negative. “Bad Penny year.” “Nothing earth shattering.” Lower the expectations are the watch words. For a team awash in revenue and every seat, every game with a butt in it. I get that GM’s hide the ball, don’t like to talk specifics. But, how about just a little bit of light for the fan base? You’d think this guy is the GM of the Royals or Marlins. Fer kreissakes, Walter White had a better outlook on the future…

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Brian Sabean telling us why he liked being the Giants GM, after he gets fired.: :)

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Awesome, zum!
        WW here is friggin’ Up With People compared to Sabes’ interviews…

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm

epic

• Nipper said, on December 5, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Go Zumiee! And I thought he just read books!

9. Macdog said, on December 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Good luck to Pawlie tonight at the Central New York Book Awards in Syracuse:

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Cool. Nominated in 2 out of 3 categories…

10. Nipper said, on December 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm

NL needs the DH!

• Bozo said, on December 5, 2013 at 3:25 pm

“NL needs the DH!”
      I don’t agree with that, Nipper. Although, we could use a DD (designated driver).

11. paulinasia said, on December 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I’ve been fairly supportive (or at least not super critical) of Sabean firming up “the base” with the re-signings and the lone addition of Hudson…. as a first step. Been patient, too, afterall, it is still early. But two things kinda bother me at this point: 1) I know Henry was just paraphrasing some of what Sabes said, but it sounded like he was saying he’s “hoping but not expecting” to find a good solid everyday leftfielder (which is what Bochy wants). I dunno… you “hope” it doesn’t rain on your wedding day or whatever. As a GM, you can’t just hope, you have to make these things happen. After signing Hudson, he did indicate he would start to focus on finding an everyday player for LF. Not sure why that has changed, or, as Snarkk said, it could just be smokescreen blah blah blah. But even more bothersome for me is 2) as discussed here, a major injury would be quite harmful with the lack of depth. Sabean said so much himself after they lost Pagan for most of the season: He wished he’d done more last off-season to add depth. THAT is what I don’t want to hear him saying again next season. So, hope or don’t hope for a solid everyday player in LF, but damn, boy, better make sure the team has better depth in 2014….

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for coming over– the dark side isn’t so bad, is it? :)

12. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm

There’s time, but shit, we got the Seahawks coming to town. Too busy wigging out about that game.

Where’s Sandawg?

13. salty said, on December 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm

We’d all love to see Sabean make it happen but at what cost? We have no idea what other GM’s want in return for an “everyday” solid all around OFer.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Negotiation. Giants need something, the other team needs something. That’s why Sabes makes the big bucks…

• salty said, on December 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Ethier is being shopped, but no way LA sends him to SF along with $$$.
      I think Sabean is just being realistic after making a bunch of inquiries and finding out the “cost” of one LF.

14. Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Salty we absolutely have an *idea* of what other GM’s would want for an everyday outfielder. Aoki got traded by the Brewers to the Royals who traded a promising young current MLB relief pitcher (Will Smith). I would have taken Aoki on our team IN A HEARTBEAT, he would have banged a shitload of doubles and triples into the gaps at AT&T.
    We know that the Rockies traded Seth Smith (can’t recall who they got in return). Smith is a platoon guy who’s gonna hit decently against right handed pitchers.
    We know what Kelly Johnson would have cost—peanuts.
    There are obviously other examples.

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I was touting Kelly Johnson’s name too about a month ago. No idea why we weren’t all over that. However, I still think Sabean is planning something way bigger than Johnson, so I still have hope. Still early in the hot stove period in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hope you’re right, Blade. Sabes admitted he F’d up with the OF bench last offseason and was caught with his pants down when Pagan got hurt. He needs to upgrade LF starter, AND as BF has ably said, upgrade the bench. Though Sabes loves mid-season course corrections, he’s got to do something now, too, IMO. Better in the coming weeks to upgrade rather than deal totally with it mid-season if a regular goes down again, and teams have you over a barrel when you’re trading from a position of weakness…

• salty said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I brought him up as well. Thought he would be a good salt to Arias/Abreu. And the response was he only hit. 200. No #%##&&% way. ;)

• salty said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Flav, Im talking all around “everyday” guys. And G’s need RH pop.
      In the case of Smith, he was traded by the A’s for Gregerson. Our equivalent would be Casilla. That fucks our set up situation unless you’re sold on Machi/ Hembree.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Aoki is every day. He’s left handed, but he’s an every day leadoff hitter.

15. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Shocked that Brian Wilson got a $10 million ONE YEAR deal with the Art Dealers. Damn, he’s a frickin’ set up reliever.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I don’t think many kicked his tires. He’s too far over the edge for most. This proves again that LA has money to burn like nobody’s business…

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Shit, I just read the first paragraph . . . Neanderthal man can earn an additional $700,000 in performance incentives, and the deal includes a player option worth between $9 million and $10 million based on performance.

• salty said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

And he gets to face the Giants many times. I still think he harbors a grudge. That scene with Baer spoke vols.

16. James said, on December 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Snarkk, to your question from last night I guess I’d respond with questions: why do you think — let’s use the example of Posey — a consistent 820 OPS performance over the entire year would have positively affected his or the Giants’ productivity, or the team’s record? If every Giant had been perfectly consistent from month to month, what logical reason is there to assume that their 702 team OPS would have produced more than ~629 runs? I can’t think of one.

17. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I had no idea that one of my favorite players was practically on skid row a couple of years ago . . . Love the part about Eddie sending him $5k in cash via Fed Express. LOL.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:21 pm

My buddy who owns the bar in los altos that we’ve had a couple of flapalooZa’s at has had Clark in to sign autographs a couple of times over the last few years. I went once, had beers at bar and watched the line of autograph seekers filter by. It was sad and rad at the same time. And he seems like a super cool dude. Not the brightest bulb out there but a straight forward, cool dude. He was charging $50-$100 an autograph and the line was out the door for at least 2 hours (the time I was there, probably 2 years ago). He was signing so fast I thought he’d get carpel tunnel, lol

• Macdog said, on December 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Interesting story. I haven’t read much of Rick Reilly ever since he moved to E$PN, but that story’s a reminder of just how good he is. When I lived in San Carlos in ’89-90, I remember going to Dwight Clark’s restaurant — it was a steakhouse-type place, I think in Burlingame — with my father, who was in the area on business. I guess the restaurant didn’t last too long.

18. DJLoo said, on December 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Well speaking of down and outers, all the plaques and reunions haven’t done shit for the great Jim Ray Hart who the Giants can’t even seem to locate.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

If we had Jim Ray, I’d put him at third and trade Panda’s ass in a heartbeat for a LFer…

• Bozo said, on December 6, 2013 at 6:22 am

Loo – according to the comments on this blog http://whenthegiantscometotown.blogspot.com/2010/01/blast-from-past-jim-ray-hart.html Jim Ray turned the Giants invitation down and he’s also not in touch with his family much. One guy says he’s in an assisted living place in NJ and another said he sees him around Sactown. Some people commenting on the blog claim to be family members trying to get in touch with him, so who knows what’s up with him.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers