Spendy Set Up Guys

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 6, 2013

Weird return to Los Dealers for Bee-Dipshit. Were there just no other offers to close on the table? LA is a crack up. They give Brandon League 22.5 million last year to close. That doesn’t work out so he goes to set up role and then Jansen takes over as closer (he should have always been the closer). Now they’re paying Wheezy what will essentially work out to be 18.5 million (he’s got a player option in the second year of the deal) to be the set up guy. Think about that for a second. Is there any better example of random, haphazard dispersement of payroll than having a little over 40 million dollars tied up into two guys who will set up for a pitcher making less than a million dollars to pitch as their closer in 2014?

Well, Wheezy does live in LA and maybe he’s banking on Jansen imploding or something. I can’t imagine he doesn’t want to close, his “look at me” attitude is too overwhelming for him to want to do anything else. They don’t play music for the set up guy. And that beard ain’t doing anything other than growin’ in the 8th inning. The beard has always grown on ego and the adulation of an adoring public. This scene from Seinfeld is what the beard is all about:

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on December 6, 2013 at 7:41 am

In my opinion, Wilson is just a strange dude, in good ways and bad. He was pissed that the Giants wouldn’t give him the qualifying offer, yet he hasn’t gotten the 14 mil from anyone else (I doubt the Giants would have gone as high as 10 mil). Says he wants to be a closer but won’t shave his beard off, so he eliminates the Yanks from the talks. I’m pretty sure in the MLB negotiating contracts 101 class, the first lesson is titled Never, Ever, Blow off the Yankees From the Get Go. So now he’s the set-up guy for LA for 10 mil, get’s to keep his beard, stay close to home and have more opportunities to yell at Larry Baer. What a strange dude.

• Nipper said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

I never knew a beard could cost so much. He’ll look back when he’s fifty if he lasts that long and wonder why he’s so attached to that damn thing.

2. gianthead said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:09 am

Didnt BWilson grow up a Red Sox fan in New Hampshire? So there may be an underlying hatred of the Yankees. I say good for him, he will get his paycheck and probably will be set for life if he never pitches again. Plus I think he will be a trade chip if the Dodgers hopefully struggle this year…always one of my favorites Giants from the last decade, so hard to root against, even in Dreaded Dodger Blue…

3. willedav said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

Always the possibility if someone were interested LA could flip him elsewhere and get a decent return. Much more so than League anyway, who was a freaking disaster. Didn’t Jansen miss some time last season early?

4. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:31 am

I could never hate him. I still watch the Lou Seal video with Cody at least once a week. Was he breaking 95 on the gun last year? I’ve already blocked out the whole season.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:39 am

Loo– good to see you again. Wheezy hit 95/96 on gun last year coming back off his 2nd TJ. I might change his name to TJ Loo-zer

5. Macdog said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:21 am

I was hoping Wilson would sign somewhere, anywhere, but LA, if for no other reason than I could again wear my orange Giants T with Wilson’s bearded silhouette. But as long as he’s a Dodger . . .

Also because he was damn-near unhittable late in the season and in the playoffs. I seem to recall Jansen having a couple shaky outings in the playoffs, so it’s possible Wilson could end up as the closer.

Two quick thoughts on Cano going to the Mariners for $240M:

1. How long before the M’s realize what a waste of money this is and trade Cano to the Dodgers?

2. If the Giants are again floundering at midseason and the Yanks haven’t found a suitable replacement at second base (the trade-for-Brandon Phillips rumors are already starting), would the Giants trade Scutaro to the Yanks?

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:28 am

Brandon Phillips likely ends up as a Yankee

6. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks, Flav. Can’t believe the lack of faith in Sabes. He’ll get a LFer, I have no doubt about that.

I have a theory that the 2012 championship somehow diminished the significance of 2010 in some fan’s minds which makes no sense.

Guess you heard about Cano’s Mariner contract – how dumb is that one?

7. gianthead said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:29 am

Disaster draw for the US soccer team in the World Cup…Germany, Portugal and Ghana. Two of them could win the whole thing and I am not talking about the US…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Team USA screwed in the draw again. If anyone can pull something out of this it is Klinsmann. Gotta hope right?

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Why don’t they use seedings? Too corrupt and too political? Or, put one top seed in each group, then do a draw for the rest, and after the first round, do a random draw for the knockout game schedule…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

How FIFA is able to accomplish anything is amazing to me. It’s a thoroughly corrupt entity.

8. gianthead said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

What a flurry of signings..up to 5 correct Flav with the Granderson deal. Feldman to the Astros for $30 mill for 3 years…wtf?

9. Flavor said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:35 am

I don’t think the Mariners signing Cano was a *dumb deal*. The money makes no sense but their ownership, in theory, should take the Art Dealer’s approach to building a team—if you don’t care about money who wouldn’t want Cano on their team?
    And the Mariners do have some pieces in place, especially if they get Price (which we should be doing). Price and King Felix along with the underrated Ishikawa would make the Mariners a force next year….

10. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:46 am

I think Sabean will deal at the meetings. Both Brandons and Panda are most vulnerable.
    It’s a little too quiet.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

Why is Crawfish at risk? Adrianza might, might be a slightly better fielder, but not as good an arm, and his hitting in the MLB is unknown, but probably would be similar to Craw, with less pop. He has the advantage of a switch hitter, and can steal some bags, but stealing skill is generally wasted with Bochy managing. I’d say stick with a proven SS, Adrianza could be part of a trade to get a LFer…

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm

well, we’ll see. I’m in the camp that believes Sabean is going to Orlando strictly to get within driving distance of the sweet hoes in Tampa.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Yeah, I would be shocked if he came up with something at these meetings. If anything, these meetings now are a get together to shoot the shit, and size up what everybody still wants/needs, then go back home to re-think the spreadsheets, and do the deals in January through Spring Training. I’d love to see what he does back there, whether he actually meets with other GMs in the bar or whatever. Or, does zilch and lets Evans and underlings work the bars and lunches. Just about everything I’ve read about the guy, and that’s not much, is that other GMs don’t like him or don’t know him much. Which is not a good trait in a business that’s about relationships. He’ll get something done before ST, because obviously you can’t go into a season with Blanco as your LFer. But, that doesn’t even address the bench issues. My expectations are low, like everybody elses. Looks like Sabes and management are hoping essentially the same cast of characters rebound from their horrendous hitting last year and the pitching staff with Huddy on board and some new mystery Pen arms TBD bounces back, too…

11. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I couldn’t give an S what Wilson does now. He was a real cog in 2010 title, but that’s for the memory sessions now. I think he’d improve public perceptions if he shaved the damn beard off in some kind of PR / charity event, and then moved onto something different and new to call attention to himself, like wear a nose ring or something…

12. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I look for Sabean to send either or both Brandons to a team in exchange for some proven well-paid veteran types. If you want to take the skeptical view, neither Brandon looks like a sure thing long-term. It’s not Sabean’s style to stick with EVERYBODY off a losing season.

• sansabe said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

He’d field an entire team of homegrown youngsters if they had lived up to expectations.

13. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm

UW backers must have paid Sarkisian to go to USC. They got a better coach in Petersen to come to Seattle…

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m with Loo about Wilson, mostly. Hard to hate. But wait a minute. He’s Damon-Ellsburying the Giants, and in a very unclassy way. He really has no reason to be so bitter. The Seinfeld clip is illustrative.

Regarding Tampa, I could be a consultant for Sabes. In my trip there in 2012, I was, um, um, given a one-stop tour of at least one, um, um, world-famous *tourist venue with bright lights*. Cheesy. Even for cheesy meezy.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Houston is well known to have a passel of such brightly lit venues. Just west of downtown, and also out by the Bush airport. Not that I ever saw the inside of any of them…

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Only place I went was Pappdeaux . . .

15. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

After this coming season we’ll already be half way through Cain’s ludicrous contract. It’s moving pretty quickly, I feel like Zito’s deal began in the Candlestick days…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

love the Zito quip…but Zito is good for me, always, just for 2012…we’ve all hashed that out here

16. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I was tired of Wilson’s “always on” shtick. But he was a winner and he got it done for us.
    And he was always in shape.

• willedav said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Um, until he didn’t and wasn’t. He sucked in 2011, and then admitted he hadn’t been healthy at all since blowing himself up in 2010. If he’d maybe taken the sensible route and shut himself down earlier he might have been able to do more than annoy everyone in the dugout in 2012. And might still be here.
      Commercials with the two girls were funny tho. “And your hair..it’s dumb.”

17. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Sabean and Bochy will ride off together into the sunset after 2016. They’ll do whatever it takes to get one more. And they’ve already done plenty. Re-signing and locking up your own guys is not doing nothing.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Agree. Of course, no one else does.

18. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Heard Baggs on KNBR say the Giants expect Petit to be the long guy in the Pen, assuming Voggy doesn’t crater. If Voggy doesn’t pan out, Escobar is assumed to be waiting in the wings. All definite maybes…

19. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I give a shrug of the shoulders to the Mariners deal w/Cano. Of course it’s stupid. Zitoesque. The Yanks were willing to go 7/175M, so what prompted a need to go to 10/240M? An extra $55M to make up for loss of NY endorsement dough? M’s know this deal makes no logical sense, they must think there is an upside somehow. Meanwhile, I wish I had enough money to be as stupid as these owners…

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2013 at 5:33 pm

the extra dough prompted him to leave NY for the friendly confines of Nowhereville. It’s actually a great match– Cano proves he’s all about the money (and at a certain point, most of the human beings living in America are all about the money) and Seattle is owned by the Nintendo corp and they’re hardly hurting for money. I’m not certain, but didn’t their majority owner die recently? The guy who never saw them play? Maybe now that he’s gone they have decided to up their payroll significantly. This could be the beginning of the Mariners becoming major players in baseball over the next couple of years. And their starting pitching (at least Ishikawa and King Felix) is nails. If they can somehow pry Price from Tampa (Sabean, you could try to pull this off too!) then Seattle will be one of the favorites to win the AL pennant next season……..

20. stixwiz said, on December 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Another one slips through Sabean’s fingers as Nate McLouth signs on with the Nats as their 4th outfielder. He would have been a fair to partly middling fit for SF. Getting a bit nervous over the dearth of action by the Giants on the F.A. market. Needs still include a more creditable LFer, a guy for the bench with some veteran presence plus a bit of pop and possibly a more than passable RHer for the pen. Time is slip, sliding away. Not desperate and despairing like some on the blog seem to be, but wondering a bunch. Winter Meetings commence in just three days.

21. willedav said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm

A better signing than Price for the M’s would be someone to hit behind Cano and protect him. He’ll eventually tire of getting nothing to swing at. Sounds to me like M’s are paying a mil per bomb; if he winds up walking to first after zero strikes thrown every time up, I can see him getting frustrated.
    The M’s are a long way from contending in that division imo, but it is nice to see them do something to try and hang with A’s/Texas.

22. willedav said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Ok lot of big deals gone down lately for big hitters.
    Would you guys have done any of them for what the deal they signed for SF?
    Cano
    Ells
    Granderson at 4 yrs for $60
    Beltran at 3 yrs for $45
    I can see Choo, but would you give up the pick and go 4 yrs for $80?

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Choo, yes, that one. Pick, schmick. Get a guy you know can hit over a pick that MIGHT be a major leaguer in 4 years. Choo, Pagan, Pence. Now, that’s a decent outfield. Won’t happen, of course. Choo is a Borassss client…

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm

If it’s a Giants outfield pick, make that a pick that WON”T be a major leaguer in 4 years…

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2013 at 9:28 pm

No, I would do none of those deals. But I’d sign Ubaldo in a nano and give up that pick-shmick that Snarkk’s snarkkin’ at faster than whatever a nano is….

23. James said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Choo is only 30, and a very, very good player. His high OBP game would nearly guarantee at least a 120 OPS jump over the status quo, which is about 40 more runs of productivity. That’s pretty compelling, and I certainly wouldn’t complain.

Still, it would have made more sense to revamp the starting staff with at least 2 new arms; 3 would have been even better. As it is, we now have to pray that SF has the top 2 finishers in the Comeback Player of the Year voting.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm

After MadBum, the rest of the GMan rotation depends on hope and prayer…

24. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Spoiled brats.

25. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Napoli just signed a 2-year deal with RSox at $32M for 2 years. And, Napoli plays in a hitters park.
    Here’s Napoli compared to Belt:
    OPS: .842 vs. .841
    HR: 23 vs. 17
    RBI: 92 vs. 67
    Ks: 187 vs. 125

Belt should pay attention and go hard in arbitration…

26. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Yes, for his new team…

27. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I learned how to grip a bat at age 4. He’s still experimenting at 25.
    Enjoy Milwaukee.

28. snarkk said, on December 6, 2013 at 11:02 pm

If the Giants trade Belt, they will regret it. He won’t…

29. DJLoo said, on December 6, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Whether it’s right or wrong, Snarkk, he might be their best chip. Plus a lot of folks think they hate him.

30. Nipper said, on December 7, 2013 at 5:08 am

It’s 5 AM and the coffee is strong. The mood is somber.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers