Instead of a Winter Haiku, How About No October?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 12, 2013

A few days ago, our great friend Pawlie Kokonuts excitedly sent me an email of a poem called *No October* written by a Giants fan that he had somehow come to know. I love Pawlie but he’s a level or 6 above me when it comes to meeting up with Giants fans who are strangers. I was busy, scanned part of it quickly, figured I’d get to it when I had more time. You’re not supposed to rush through a poem, right? Anyway, I lost the email somehow, probably deleted it, but either way it wasn’t anywhere to be found in my trash or my inbox. A day later I sheepishly asked him to send it again. He forwarded me a link at Amazon and being the supporter of great writing that I am, I clicked the link and bought the poem for .99 cents.

It’s really more of a short story. The poem is beautiful, but at the end of it the author, Celeste Johnston, details her life as a Giants fan—mostly how she became a Giants fan. I was captured by her words. Not just because I could relate to how this team imprinted itself on to her soul in the 70′s at the same time it did to me. I was hooked by the beginning as I read about a girl who grew up in a baseball family that lived and breathed baseball. But remember, in the 70′s we were still a long way away from any meaningful benefits that Title IX would bring to women’s sports. It was hardly a given that a young girl in the 70′s would automatically become a fan of baseball or any sport. As many of you know, I am a big supporter of women’s sports—I go to more Stanford women’s soccer and basketball games than I do the men’s. And I happen to be raising quite the female athlete if I do say so myself.

As a boy, I fell backwards and quite easily into being a Giants fan. It was more of a meandering path for Celeste. For instance, here is an excerpt that shows her inclination towards the underdog:

“I remember one time in my first grade class, crying for George McGovern because he had only received one vote (mine) in a classroom poll of who the children’s parents were voting for. I remember looking at the lone little chalk mark on the black board that represented my vote compared to the scores of votes on the other side of the board for Nixon. I felt so bad for McGovern and a little for myself because I was clearly apart from the rest of the class and even after the teacher, seeing that I was upset, asked if I wanted to change my vote to join the rest of the class, I stubbornly refused because I would not abandon Mr McGovern and leave him to his unpopular fate….”

As a girl, growing up in a family of Dodger fans, you can see how the seeds of her Giant fandom were sprinkled……

There are so many parts of this *short story* that I enjoyed. She talks about her love of Candlestick and how her child-eyes saw the ballpark. For instance:

“I was in love; just happy to be at the ballpark. I used to dream of what it would be like to be trapped in the ballpark alone at night. Innocently I thought it would be wonderful, safely sequestered within the stadium walls where I could run around the outfield and sleep on the grass with only the stars as my canopy above. It was a dream I had after every game, to hide away after everyone left and the stadium my own to play in….”

She talks about the struggles her family had to make ends meet and how that impacted the 3 Giants games or so that her dad would take her too each year.

I’m going to stop uploading excerpts now. I’ve intentionally not posted any part of her poem because it would ruin the read to only show snippets. I’m hoping that my endorsement as well as the two excerpts above from her *epilogue* will be enough to encourage you to buy it. It’s .99 cents and while I don’t know what Celeste does for a living I’m pretty sure sure isn’t a professional writer. No October came from her heart and she puts words together like I wish I could. It was an honor to read her writing. Here’s the link:

By the way, if you are like me and didn’t understand the *kindle* part of the link, don’t worry you don’t have to have a kindle. That’s just Amazon’s way of hooking you up with their cloud or where ever it is that this poem is stored. No matter, after you buy it, it’s easily accessible from the link. Enjoy.

About these ads

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2013 at 6:29 am

Full disclosure: Celeste Tweeted how much she identified with and loved my little book “World Serious.” I retweeted her praise. I asked her to Direct Message me. She did. We conversed. She sent me “No October.” I confess I have not really read it all the way through. Yet. I was waiting for a time to savor it, such as these next few days in the snowbound Adirondacks. But I knew instantly it was an epic hymn to the Giants straight from the heart. All this bodes well for the next Flapalooza. I love these seemingly chance connections knitted by fate, destiny, and Providence.

2. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:13 am

Great stuff, Celeste, and Craig, and Pawlie. Really: “…what it would be like to be trapped in the ballpark alone at night. Innocently I thought it would be wonderful, safely sequestered within the stadium walls where I could run around the outfield and sleep on the grass with only the stars as my canopy above.” At various times in my life, I have thought the same thing: at the old Yankee Stadium as a kid watching Mantle and Maris in the outfield; at Fenway, a true cathedral of baseball, no matter your opinion of Red Sox nation; at the old Tiger Stadium, no matter the bad Detroit ‘hood; even at our beloved China Basin/Mays Field, so terribly named after a phone company. Damn. And here I was prepared to begin the Flap’s morning with a post continuing yesterday’s discussion about Sandoval, and about how Pablo’s numbers are pretty similar to Will the Thrill’s numbers, and you Flappers saying he should not be brought back because he’s too fat are just being stupid. Well, seems WilleD and Chi and I are the only ones who think that. And Craig, I did like your FaceBook post about the asshole at the gym… :-)

3. Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:23 am

Morse is a giant. I like that.

• Celeste Johnston said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I think it can work. Power hitters don’t fare well at AT&T and that was one of the reasons that I was thinking a line drive hitter with gap power and speed would have a more assured path to success at AT&T but all-in-all Morse seems to have power and passion and those quantities are always welcomed at the Gem at Third and King. I will welcome him with open arms at AT&T.

4. Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:25 am

I know quite a bit about Morse. Not sure how this power will translate to AT&T but he has power. Wrist injury sapped him of pretty much all of last season. If healthy love this pic up

5. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh, sure, Craig, go ahead and usurp my post that goes against your Pablo opinions with a post about ohmygod, an actual activity at the GMs’ meeting … :-p

6. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:41 am

Nice thread…and I will get to reading the poem later today. Compelling just reading the thread. Thanks for sharing (to both you and Pawlie).

I was driving in this morning, listening to KNBR as usual, and Bobby Evans was on. This was the first I heard on the Giants inking Michael Morse. I dig the signing, too. Here are his career averages (from Baseball Reference):

23 HR, 77 RBI, .281 .334 .473 .808 (Avg, OBP, SLG, OPS).

If the dude can stay healthy (and that is always one of the keys for any team), I like it. Now just some minor tweaking on the bullpen, and maybe strenghening the bench, and giddy-up!

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:45 am

Morse is a legit, every day guy (if healthy). It helps us solve 2 problems: 1) plugging in a legit outfielder into Blanco’s spot and 2) sends Blanco back to the bench where he belongs as he strengthens our bench.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

Absolutely agree, Flavor. I like the signing a lot. Let’s hope like hell the dude can stay healthy.

7. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

Giants need left fielder
    Morse hits it high and deep. Yes!
    Hoping problem solved

8. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:52 am

Paul – saw on a FB post that you are winding down in your time at the university in China (and before I had a chance to ask, the page refreshed and I lost the post). Where are you heading next? Best of luck on your next gig my friend.

• paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thanks, Chi. Still will be in China for awhile, just finishing up at one uni… I’ll keep you posted. And thanks for agreeing with me about Pablo!

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ah, good to hear Paul. I am sure you are taking good care of those special “teacher’s pets.” ;-) And NP re: Pablo. I just think some of the bashing is over the top…but we all have rights to our opinions and that is one of the beauties of the blog. Make it an awesome day (night).

9. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:57 am

Interesting, and a wonderfully good deflection from the Pablo discussions. “Morse, 31, is not a great defender and struggled with a wrist injury last season (requiring postseason surgery), hitting .201 in 64 games after May 1. He had a quadriceps injury early in the season.” Um…. ok… “GM Brian Sabean said he’d be open to either a good defender/OBP guy or simply a slugger, and the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Morse fits the second category.” Um… ok… “Morse went from Seattle to Baltimore in late August, playing just 12 games for the Orioles.” Um.. ok.. “In 2011, he hit .303 with 31 homers and 95 RBIs for the Nationals.” Oh, ok, that sounds pretty good…. :-)

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:00 am

If Morse can come close to his 2010-12 production, wow this is a great move. Baseball reference lists his position as Outfielder, First Base and Shortstop. I thought that was sort of funny.

So now round out the roster with Abreu and Arias? I would like to see someone other than Pill get carried but worrying about the end of the bench player is rosterbation at this point.

• paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

Rosterbation, good one, Dirt… :-)

11. Bozo said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:20 am

I’m glad we got Morse. I think he had some injuries last year, so hopefully he can put up numbers like he did as a Nat. I also think we should extend a minor league contract for Grady Sizemore.

Now go and get Omar Infante. Between filling in for Panda, Marco and Craw (and Morse), Infante could play almost every day.

12. Irish Kevin said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:22 am

Wow, Sabean signed an outfielder, or any fielder under the age of 35!!! I almost spilled my coffee this morning. Sounds like he is what the Giants need.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:14 am

How soon some forget that he was the principal architect of the team that won not one, but TWO World Series titles in three years. And I seem to recall over the years that most of the regulars here would have died happily with ONE in their lifetime.

He isn’t perfect (no one is) but I still believe he is one of the best GMs in the business.

• Irish Kevin said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I am not saying that he is not a good GM. But he does have a habit of over paying a an older player for helping them get one of the those WS rings. Then the next year that older vet does nothing for the team.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:59 am

I read somewhere that Carl Pavano is looking to make a comeback. If SF is not going to bring back the Groper how about a flyer on Pavano? He could take the long role out of the BP and be insurance for the 5th spot in the rotation.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

I have heard (quotes on CSNBA, etc.) that the Groper ship has sailed and he probably will not be back. And from everything I have heard (including the interview with Bobby Evans this morning), Petit is slated to be the long/emergency starter.

The way it looks now you have the five starters (Cain, Bum, Tim, Huddy, Vogey), then the four “locks” in the bullpen (Romo, Casilla, Affeldt, and Lopez). Petit is pretty much a lock for the long/emergency starter role. Machi is out of options and probably has a good chance of making the roster. That would leave one spot (Hembree, Dunning, Kontos, etc.) or someone, perhaps like Pavano.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:22 am

I would rather see the Groper. Must be some interesting back story there.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:28 am

I agree, Dirt…he was a known quantity (groping and all), whereas Petit I believe has the potential, but not the history. Yes…would love to know the back story on the Chadster…

14. salty said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:18 am

Wrist injury is a concern (Derosa) but he absolutely fits their need of big RH bopper. For 1 yr 5m, go for it.
    And it doesn’t cost them a good prospect or a draft pick.
    Didn’t make much sense to get another speedy LH guy with minimal power.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

How much does this Morse guy weigh anyway?

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

He is listed at 6’5″ and 245 lbs. So, this is one of the reasons he is nicknamed “The Beast.”

16. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

Not wanting to be left out, I’m all for Panda re-signing. That is. if the season works out. Moving Posey to 3rd will never fly.

We signed Steve Morse? Loved him with the Dixie Dregs . . . Yeah, sure. He can take Pat the Bat’s mantle of, uh, resident hot-tub inspector?

No love for Bartolo (hey, it wasn’t the steroids) Colon? $20 mill from the Mets? Gee, how’s that gonna work out?

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:52 am

For $20 million, they better hide him when the pee-in-cup FedEx dude shows up…

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

Posey to 3rd will “never” fly? Why?…

17. stixwiz said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:43 am

So we got our water buffalo and the heavy pressure eases up. Rosterbation nation may not remain wordless for long as minor speculation will drift to the bench and the bullpen. And where will he bat? My guess is that the code for Morse will start in the 7-spot simply because he’s the new guy. Lineup is awfully long now with this addition. No easy outs. Some pressure is taken off Panda to be the Big Bopper. Also Posey will benefit from less pressure to produce.

Dodgers will almost certainly react by going for another big Name. Giants keep haunting them. Look what happened when SF snagged Hudson. LaBumbos promptly grabbed Haren.

Look of the team on the field may change a bunch after the 6th inning in many a game. Blanco and Perez will see a lot of action in the last three innings, particularly if the Giants are ahead. With a couple starters not likely to go more than 6 the bullpen will also get some airing out.

All things considered the Giants return to respectable competitiveness ~ at the least. Last season it could be said that both Posey and Panda had down years ~ and Belt and Pence did not come on strong until relatively late in the season. The two Championship teams had habits of picking each other up. A RH power threat adds another dimension to the pickup factor ~ particularly in bandbox roadgames. It’s quite speculative at this point, but several players posting good seasons could birth another monster ~ or should we say “Beast”. That’s the nickname that Morse earned somewhere along the way.

So “welcome aboard” to the 2014 model Water Buffalo.

• salty said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:17 am

Bumsters reacted by picking up rule 5 Seth Rosin. Colletti can’t resist plucking ex Giant’s I guess.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:33 am

Nice summation, Stix…I agree on all points. Number one need is for everyone to stay relatively healthy. After that…hope that they perform to their norms. If that happens…this team will make some noise. I am excited with the way things are shaping-up.

18. snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

I asked BF last night, since he is a big bopper, if he’d take LF; or do a Pat the Bat imitation. I guess Sabes took that to heart. Sabes must have come up from Tampa’s bright lights long enough to find this big guy’s agent. I’ll admit, as an ignorer of the awful AL and a non-participant in fantasyland play, I have no clue who this Morse guy is. The only Morse I know is the actor that started out on St. Elsewhere, David Morse, who parlayed that start into a decent career pretty much as a character actor. Anyway, seems this guy fits the bill for me: male, wears a jock, and is breathing; can play LF, hits RH and not named Torres. He’s got a recent history of injury and is therefore cheap = one year deal with something to prove, so that fits the usual parachuting in requirement for Sabes. If he flops, not much lost except a few million and bad production. Also fits with Williamson having a year to get ready, if he’s really a prospect and not the usual Giants minor league OFer ghost. At least we have a potential player out there who can do some damage at the plate, and if healthy, should have solid motivation. If Morse is healthy, looks like 20+ bombs could be doable, with lots of Ks. I’m definitely down with that. Stay outta Tampa, Sabes — onward and upward now to get another player or two to bulk up this anemic bench…

• salty said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:21 am

Snarrk, they have been rumored with Morse for weeks but his asking price had to come down. Think he was looking 2yr/8 per. G’s wisely held off.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

How can you ask for $16M over 2 seasons with an unproven, bad wrist? Well, in this market I guess you have to at least ask. Salt, do you know if this wrist is another deRosa in waiting, or something that actually heals quickly?…

19. Macdog said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

As Salty says, you always gotta be worried about the wrist. But I’m good with signing Morse. The Giants just could not enter 2014 without a LFer that can go deep, and now they’ve got one. 31 HRs two years ago? Hell, I’d settle for the 18 bombs in 2012.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:40 am

If this Morse guy stays healthy, then when he sits for a rest game they’ve got a real RH power threat on the bench for late inning PH purposes. What a concept…

20. Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:53 am

Morse is not small. I’ll just say that……..

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

I take it this Morse dude is not exactly Blanco-esque with the glove. Is it legal if Blanco rides in his back pocket for an extra glove out there?…

21. snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

Rick Reilly must have been reading my posts on the hypocrisy of these managers going into the HOF, but not their ‘roiding players. Normally, I really dislike most of Reilly’s efforts, especially since his weird Javert-esqe obsession with Bonds, but I’m down with this piece.

22. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

His FP in the OF (319 games) is .994. 1B (7 seasons – 130 games = .994). He did play 57 games at SS .946 FP.

We can only hope he stays relatively healthy…he has had 500+ plate appearances only once in his career.

23. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

Here is a short (5 minute) YouTube clip on Mike (The Beast) Morse.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:52 am

His swing kinda reminds me of a combination of Rob Deer speed with a bit of Jack Clark slash…

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:55 am

455 Ks in 2027 PAs – K rate of once every 4.45 ABs.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

Certainly that 22.5% is a very acceptable K-rate for a power guy.
        Deer had a career K-rate of 1409 / 4513 PAs = 31+%. Jack Clark for the career was at 21%, not including his recent firing from that St. Louis radio station…

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:15 am

Speaking of Jack Clark, I just looked up his career numbers. He had 340 HRs and an .854 OPS, 137 OPS+. That’s pretty damn good…

24. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:52 am

Hits to all fields…a couple of pokes to the opposite field…upper tank.

25. Bozo said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:01 am

I saw Morse play for the Nats a few times a couple of years ago and the dude out and out mashes the ball, when healthy. He may not have the best D in LF but he sure can let loose with the big fly.

26. Bozo said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

Bochy tells Baggs that Morse is who he wanted. http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/bruce-bochy-morse-its-certainly-what-i-wanted

27. snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:21 am

OPS+ stats for the outfield. Not too shabby if they play to near career numbers…

period pagan pence morse

2012 120 90 96
    2013 116 136 -35

career 107 120 119

28. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Yeah, most shocking about the Reilly article is the fact thaat Bonds isn’t mentioned once.

29. salty said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

Snarrk
    In answer to your question above at Morse wrist….who knows? ;)
    He had surgery in Oct to remove a bone outgrowth or overgrowth? Clearly the reason his production fell as it had been bothering him since May.

I would think the Giants thought back to the DeRosa fiasco (2 yrs 12m doesn’t seem like much now) but with options narrowing….

30. snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

Baseball reference has a summary out on each of the players eligible on this year’s HOF ballot.
    For JT Snow: ” J.T. Snow 11 6xGG,105OPS+,saved Dusty’s son”. Somebody has a good sense of humor.

Even though I don’t give much of a rip anymore about it, here’s the details on the guys on the ballot:

31. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

Sabes absolutely got an outstanding deal with Morse. A low risk/high reward deal that costs $5 million with incentives . . . shit, one quarter of the garlic fries receipts will pay for that. To put this in perspective insofar as the deal Sabean just scored for our team, read this excerpt from an article I just read (link to article below as well) . . .

“Speaking of Trumbo: when a team dumps two of its top five prospects in a trade — even two guys who have taken hits to their stock and are fancied “expendable” because of some tenuous positional depth — the only guy of note coming back shouldn’t be a one-tool power hitter with a career .299 OBP and a .469 slugging percentage who strikes out four times more than he walks and can’t reasonably play the field anywhere but first base.

Trumbo’s production could not only be roughly found on the free agent market in the forms of Mike Morse and Kendrys Morales, but it’s not something that an NL team with an MVP-candidate first baseman and a number of capable corner outfielders already under contract should be making a priority. It’s certainly not worth trading cost-controlled starting pitching with elite upside to acquire just as Trumbo’s moving into an arbitration climate almost designed to give one-dimensional players with a couple great teammates like him a lot of money because of home run and RBI totals.”

My hat’s off to Sabes . . . :-)

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 11:59 am

Your sombrero?…

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Yes, that will work (albeit, with the 1 degree Colorado temperatures of late, I have been sporting a more substantial and much warmer Spider beanie).

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Sabes may not be splashy, but this isn’t an imbecilic 3 way trade that Arizona stupidly bit on. Both Chicago and Anaheim got over on them. Thank God for Art Dealers and GMs that spend too much time in the Arizona heat.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’ve known a lot of people from Arizona. A strange lot. Too much sun on the brain or something.

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

He of course was the guy who was ‘accidentally’ shot 7 times by his girldfriend Claudine Longet somewhere around 1975-6 She was cleaning the gun at the time.

She was still living in Aspen when I moved there. Crazy story.

32. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Damn am I happy that Sabean made that deal. Shit…the way things were looking (lack of signing a LFer and talks of an extended contract with Pablo)…I was afraid Sabes was going to be burnt at the stake by a number of the Flappers.

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Chi, I think most everyone (umm, maybe not snarkk and Flavor . . . ;-) ) was on board with what Sabes was doing with regard to filling needs. A few of us disagreed, including myself, with an extended contract for Pablo AKA Fa . . . umm, not going there. Just my opinion, but I’ve always been satisfied with what Sabes does. Yeah, he misses occasionally, but a lot less than other GMs. If he decides to give an extended contract to Sandoval, I am down with that, if only because he knows something or I am unaware of something he knows. I’ve said it a million times, Sabes has a life time job for the 2010 World Series and I’ll endorse saint hood for the 2012 World Series, if the Pope is down with it.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Agree on all points…It is all good, brother. Like I said yesterday, we may have to agree to disagree with each other on occasion and that’s cool (as long as everyone realizes that I am right 99% of the time). GRIN (Insert gay-ass smiley face here.)

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Gotcha. :-)

• Irish Kevin said, on December 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Well, I would not have burnt him at the stake, maybe roasted him a little. Kinda like a marshmellow.

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Pagan
    Scutaro
    Belt
    Posey
    Pence
    Sandoval
    Morse
    Crawford
    P

Looks good to me.

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yeah, me too.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Yeah, they were discussing the line-up on KNBR this morning after the chat with Bobby Evans. Looks good to me, too.

34. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm

“They still sell that Spider stuff? I wonder if anyone even remembers that Spider Sabich (ex-ski racer) was the guy who started that company years ago in Aspen.”

Wow! Impressed that you picked up on that Chuck (bet everyone else thought it was a Spiderman mask. ;-) ). Yeah, that was some weird “accident” involving him and Longet. My ex-wife’s (an amateur ski champion herself) family actually knew Sabich and told me about what happened, as I didn’t recall too much about the specifics when it went down more than a decade before marrying my wife.

Now truth be told, this isn’t Spider Sabich gear. I actually misspelled it (should be Spyder) . . . David Jacobs, Spyder’s founder and chairman was born in Montreal, Canada, and began skiing at age 13. At 21, he won the Quebec Kandahar, and from 1957 through 1961 was a member of the Canadian National Ski Team. In 1957 he captured the title of Canadian Downhill Ski Champion, and was the top-ranked member of the Canadian FIS Team the following season. He was the first full-time head coach and program administrator for the Canadian National Ski Team from 1964 to 1966. That’s your ski post for the year. :-)

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm

No shit? i always thought that was Spider Sabich that the ski stuff was named after. They just kinda intersected the same sport at the same time, I guess. Weird, cuz I started seeing that stuff when Sabich was touting the US Pro Ski tour in the early 70s. Saw him, Henri Duvillard, Billy Kidd, and Jean Claude Killy race at Heavenly. The heydey of my budding racing career as a young reckless idiot. Those races were a blast to watch.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I’m dreaming of a winter respite some year at Kitzbuehl. I’ve been to Austria several times, winter and summer, but would love to take the Snarkkettes for a ski vacation over the Xmas time. Nothing like Christmas in Germany and Austria. The snow, the Kristkindlmarkts in the town squares, the gluhwein, the beer, the sausages, the Xmas music. They’re both pretty darn good skiers, and Mrs. Snarkk has skied since a teen, she’s very smooth. Gets down the mountain without a sweat, where I ski ugly and end up panting at the bottom. Dang, I better stop before I book something…

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Ironically, I was just chatting with Paulinasia and am thinking about Christmas in hot, humid, Vietnam . . . OK, OK, more like late January or February (albeit, he said to avoid the Tet New Year . . . Umm, they tend to close the massage parlors for a week or more during that time period. Yikes!!!!). :-)

35. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I know Obermeyer started in Aspen. I thought Spyder was started there as well.

36. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Not that thrilled. A low risk stab at best. If you think there are doomers here, you should hear how many Met fans are expecting 17/60/.235 out of Granderson.

37. Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Morse carries risk, there’s no question. But he’s got some upside and as bad as he is defensively, if he can stay healthy and bang out 25-30 bombs, he’ll be a +-acquisition. And he can DH in the AL inter league games AND, god willing, the World Series.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Although the DH is a good chance to half-rest Buster…

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

fuck Buster. He’s getting in shape right now too, that shit doesn’t seem to be getting reported the same way Pablo’s training for his heavyweight fight is getting reported.
        Posey wasn’t in shape to catch a full season last year. That could be a learning curve, he’s still young. But you would think fucking Bochy, a former catcher, would get in front of this. Posey was a joke in the 2nd half last year. You wanna play catcher? Get your ass in shape.

38. stixwiz said, on December 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Giants needed a couple of energy injections ~ got them with Hudson for a solid #3 starter and Morse to hit a few outta various zipcodes.

Team looks solid now. No major holes in the Rotation or among the position players. Bench improves by default. A reliable RH middle reliever might be nice, but not a must as the MiL pipeline is stocked pretty well. In fact with the winningest minor league compendium of all 30 orgs, the internal competition compression factor is gonna get pretty steamy.

Sure, there are questions and “if” factors. Same is true with every team out there, however. One thing SF knows how to do is win championships when they make it into the post-season. Chances of that happening in the coming year could now be calculated at no worse than fifty-fifty. Keep that decent August and strong September in mind. That happened without Hudson and Morse.

Parades are nice. Go for it, gang.

39. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Paulinasia, give me a shout via Messenger or email when you come online. TY.

• paulinasia said, on December 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Steve, if you’re still here, I’m on Messenger…

40. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Just saw a tape of ESPN’s Jim Bowden say that the Giants did an excellent job of obtaining the low risk/high reward Morse. By the by, I’m not certain if anyone is expecting this to be a full time gig for Morse. He will platoon with Blanco and more important, count on almost all games having Perez or Blanco coming in for defensive reasons in the late innings. We all know that our defense sucked last year. Signing Morse to play left field weakens a defense, where we finished just 20th in defensive efficiency—a measurement of balls in play converted into outs—last year. Ugh.

Per an article I just read, “Angel Pagan wasn’t very good in center field prior to his injury, Marco Scutaro is below average at second base in this late stage of his career, Pablo Sandoval has been inconsistent at third, and Morse is a butcher in the outfield. Back-up catcher Hector Sanchez is also extremely raw defensively.
    The presence of Blanco and Perez—two plus defenders—should mitigate some of the defensive issues with the starting outfield. Shortstop Brandon Crawford, first baseman Brandon Belt, and catcher Buster Posey are all above-average defenders.”

Anywho, I like this trade because it doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg. Speaking of which, Jayson Stark, wrote this in regard to his Winners and Losers column . . . “Fourth starters — It has been a terrific winter to be Scott Feldman (three years, $30 million from the Astros, even though he has never had an ERA less than 3.86 in his career). … Or Jason Vargas (four years, $32 million from the Royals, even though he has run off four straight seasons with an ERA-Plus of less than 100). … Or Scott Kazmir (two years, $22 million from the A’s, even though he hasn’t pitched enough innings to qualify for the ERA title since 2007). With all the new national-TV money flowing into the sport, much of it has ended up in the pockets of pitchers whose names don’t figure to be appearing on any Cy Young ballots near you. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

Shit, in lieu of the above, we were plain lucky to score Hudson for the measly amount we signed him for.

• James said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Blade, the Giants defensive efficiency was compromised by the fact that the pitching staff gave up a MLB high percentage of line drives on balls in play and they made a lot of errors. The opposition’s BABIP was also pretty low considering the number of hard hit balls the staff gave up. I’ve already pointed out that the errors did not produce a significant number of unearned runs. The defense also did quite well in a more comprehensive defensive stat, UZR.

So, no, we don’t all really know the Giants defense sucked last year. The only thing we know is that the pitching was totally shitty. And we know that the idea that the defense stabbed poor Timmy et al in the back is a suspect proposition.

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm

James, I saw or heard most of Tim’s games. There is nothing “suspect” about bad defense in Tim’s games. It happened. Plus, the relievers let in a ton of his inherited runners…

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm

My point has more to do with the fact (already confirmed by Bochy) that Morse WILL platoon with Blanco and Perez, i.e., whoever has the hot hand will be in left (albeit, Morse will be the nominal starter). Most important, Morse’s poor fielding will be addressed by Perez or Blanco being late inning replacements for Morse. I’m really not too concerned about his fielding, since we’ve had similar situations before where left was handled by a poor outfielder, e.g., Burrell.

• James said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Snarkk, what do you mean by a ton? Tim’s line drive percentage last year was 23.1 That’s not a good number. He also gave up a lot of HRs, and he still walks too many people. That’s why he was not very good. Not because of the defense or the bullpen.

At the last Flapalooza after the game, you mentioned the sheer satisfaction you took in Timmy’s performance — how for the first time in memory it was “our guy” who was blowing everyone away and receiving national recognition for it. I was probably too tired at the moment to concur with a “right on!”, but I completely understood that feeling.

If the Giants have something like the pre-2012 Lincecum next year, this team looks like a playoff contender to me.

• James said, on December 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I like the Morse pick up, too, Blade, and am not of the opinion that he will allow more runs than he produces, if he has a good year at the plate. His splits suggest he will be the everyday LFer through the 7th inning in games they are winning.

41. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

You OK, Flav? Seriouisly, I was as down as anyone on Buster, but he came back from a gruesome injury, and for all anyone heard, he worked his ass off to get back. That he petered out could have been due to many things. The hope is he’s fully recovered and will have more stamina this year. If not, well, we’re fucked.

Pablo? Hey, he comes in, kicks ass, and gets his weight down, why not re-sign? Why re-sign Timmy? It’s all about hope.

• Celeste Johnston said, on December 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Buster has not had a regular off season since 209-2010. The World Series/ ROY shortened off season in 2010. rehabbing off the injury in 2011 and the World Series shortened/ MVP and various other awards rubber chicken circuit in 2012. This off season will be telling as to how well-conditioned he is with a full offseason of training for the first time in three years.

42. James said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:17 pm

BF has more than once suggested we go after David Price. Now, I love the Giraffe more than any other Giant by far for exactly the reason BF would like to see him go to Tampa: he’s a big, overly sensitive wuss who probably doesn’t have many friends on the team. But a roster that I’d pick over the Dodgers next year would have Price in the rotation, Choo in LF and Morse at 1B. I realize it ain’t gonna happen, but it would not be beyond the realm of possibility with a budget that’s been somewhat adjusted towards the new bar set by LA.

43. Macdog said, on December 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm

As far as Morse’s defense is concerned, he can’t do much worse than some of the plays Torres butchered last year.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2013 at 6:14 am

Hahaha. True.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers