Some Random Thoughts as Haiku’s Approach and The BBOTD Page Gets More hits than the Main Page

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 16, 2013

The advanced metrics continue to score pitchers nice deals. Edinson Volquez signed a 1 year deal with the Pirates for 5 million. His 5.71 ERA wasn’t what the Pirates liked. They were enamored with his 4.07 xFIP (which someone should tell them still isn’t very good). But the Pirates love the xFIP metric, they scored big when buying low on Burnett and Liriano using the same approach. And I’m not against xFIP at all. I do wonder if Sabean even knows what it is. I think he does. Hopefully  someone on his staff is advising him. I didn’t look it up prior to this thread going to print, but I seem to remember Timmy having a nice xFIP last year and the year before that.

The Rockies just handed Boone Logan a boatload of money. He’s another guy with a fabulous xFIP/ERA discrepancy and his was actually pretty good last year— 2.71. We’ll see how that works out. I can tell you I’ve seen a lot of Boone Logan on the YES network over the last couple of years and very little of it is good. Dude has a penchant for imploding at the wrong time. But hey, he got 16.5 mil from the Rockies. I like this deal because it means we get to tee off on Boone Logan in the late innings.

The Rockies also signed Morneau a few days ago. Can’t imagine too many Pirate fans were bummed to see him go. Twenty five games, 92 plate appearances, zero home runs, 3 rbi’s (regular season).

I saw Heyman tweet out that he considers Posey the 3rd best offensive player in all of baseball after Trout and Miggy. I guess he didn’t watch Posey play last year……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on December 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Yesterday, I said the same thing in a comment to the Denver Post . . . This is the excerpt from my comment, as well as an SI link that slammed this deal.

“Meanwhile, the Rockies are touting Morneau as an “impact bat.” Hilarious. Sports Illustrated described the Logan deal as a “ridiculous contract” and added, “It’s difficult to see this contract as anything other than a serious mis-allocation of resources.” If you want to read more, click on this link:

http://mlb.si.com/2013/12/13/hot-stove- … jai-davis/

2. pawliekokonuts said, on December 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

A distraction reposted from another thread herewith:

Since I obviously can’t compete on baseball acumen (I am SURPRISINGLY NOT, repeat NOT, a doomer on our 2014 Giants), I want to comment on Peter O’Toole. I’ve been rather obsessively reading obits on him: NY Times, LA Times (excellent), The Guardian (the best on his hellraising), WashPost. As The Guardian said, not much to be sad about in that he lived life to the full. O’Toole, who always considered himself Irish (though it is unclear by his own admission if he was born in Connemarra) and wore green socks even with a tuxedo, said something like, I don’t regret one drop of alcohol I ever drank, and if if I can’t enjoy my life now I should go back on the bottle. He lamented that he sort of BECAME T.E. Lawrence. Anyway, no one like him. Last of a breed, save maybe Michael Caine or Alan Bates or a few others. Incidentally, he studied Bedouin culture, learned Arabic, and learned how to ride a camel for “Lawrence.” PLUS, he and Omar Sharif gambled and pissed away their earnings on trips to Beirut. Lived hard, worked hard, played hard. p.s. He and his cronies were once asked by a pub owner to leave because it was closing time. Feck that, they said. They wrote a check and bought the bar…and became lifelong friends with the [former] owner.

And, speaking of obits, The Economist typically has a fascinating one every week; well written, even if you dislike their slant, which I often do.

Some O’Toole-related quotes:

Noel Coward to O’Toole at a premiere party: “If you’d been prettier, it would have been ‘Florence of Arabia.’ ”

from AP story in 12/15/13 wash post

A reformed — but unrepentant — hell-raiser, O’Toole long suffered from ill health. Always thin, he had grown wraithlike in later years, his famously handsome face eroded by years of outrageous drinking.
    But nothing diminished his flamboyant manner and candor.
    “If you can’t do something willingly and joyfully, then don’t do it,” he once said. “If you give up drinking, don’t go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.”

nytimes 12/15 obit

He had made that plain at 18, when an acting career was already in his mind. In his notebook he made a promise to himself: “I will not be a common man. I will stir the smooth sands of monotony. I do not crave security. I wish to hazard my soul to opportunity.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm

That last one is great man. Stir the smooth sands of monotony…whew…

3. zumiee said, on December 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm

The Giants do have a metrics guy advising Sabean. He was featured in one of the issues of Giants Magazine. If I remember correctly, he is also one of their directors of minor leagues operations.

• zumiee said, on December 16, 2013 at 6:33 pm

His name is Yeshayah Goldfarb. That just has “Big Bang Theory” written all over it.
      Here’s something he wrote to Giants fans and posted in July 2012:

“After the Draft, a New World for Rookies” by Yeshayah Goldfarb
      (Yeshayah Goldfarb is the San Francisco Giants’ director of minor league operations and quantitative analysis.)

You might be wondering what happens to our draft picks once the draft is over. How do we begin developing them into players who might help us win another World Series?

It starts when a draft pick agrees to financial terms and we send him to our baseball complex in Scottsdale, Arizona, for a physical and a series of orientation sessions. There’s a lot to absorb. Professional baseball is a sub-culture with its own customs, expectations, responsibilities and rules. We give all new players a handbook that covers everything from where each of our minor league teams is located to curfew regulations to how to wear the uniform and how much facial hair is acceptable.

Soon after they clear the team physical, they are assigned to either the Arizona League Giants in Scottsdale or the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes in Oregon. That’s when the real work starts – for them and for us.

We need to learn the players’ strengths, sharpen those strengths, teach new skills, build confidence, eliminate distractions, develop individual conditioning plans, evaluate performance, analyze results/statistics and shape character.

For position players, one of the first challenges is to adjust to wood bats. But that’s just the beginning. They now play every day with very few days off usually far away from home — with unfamiliar teammates and coaches, new signs, new bunt plays, more fans, autograph seekers, community outreach events, and the constant fear that they will be released.

Our manager in Salem-Keizer, Tom Trebelhorn, is the perfect manager for rookies. He’s a former big-league manager (with the Cubs and Brewers) who has a wealth of baseball knowledge but is still a kid at heart. Derin McMains is our rookie ball manager in Arizona and learned the job from Treb. They’re both really encouraging and inspirational, which helps build the players’ confidence and camaraderie right from the start.

We also begin right away developing their leadership skills. Every two weeks throughout the summer (and every regular season) the minor league coaching staff leads a discussion (guided by a DVD presentation and accompanying book) about a particular value or principle, such as humility, discipline, responsibility and character. We want Giants players to be good men and good teammates as well as good athletes.

While the players are in Arizona and Oregon, the front office here in San Francisco keeps close tabs on all of them. Everyone from general manager Brian Sabean on down receives a detailed, daily report about every player in every game. We capture statistics in deep detail to use as tools for both teaching and evaluation.

We know it’s a big leap from amateur baseball to the professional level. Some will experience failure for the first time. We assure them that our coaches and support staff — with many years of major league and minor league experience – are 100 percent committed to helping them become the best players they can be.

Still, there will be times when they doubt themselves. I hope when that happens they’ll remember the words at the end of Brian’s letter to them after the draft.

“We look forward to watching your ascent to the Major Leagues as a San Francisco Giant,’’ he wrote, “possibly even as a member of our next World Series Championship team.’’

We’re really proud of our selections in the 2012 draft. They’re already off to a great start.

Thanks for reading. And try to get out to one of our minor-league parks and watch these guys. You’ll have bragging rights later on: You always knew that raw outfielder with the loopy swing would be a star.

• blade3colorado said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Good stuff. I am an immediate Goldfarb fan. Gonna call him Jonah Hill from here on out.

• snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Well, we’ve waited 20 years for that ONE star OFer who started in Salem with a loopy swing. Maybe they need a different approach down below from what they’ve been doing re: OFers. Because it obviously hasn’t worked…

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:04 am

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Zum.

4. zumiee said, on December 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

From another article:

Goldfarb’s title is long and clunky: He’s the Giants’ director of minor league operations/quantitative analysis.

What that means is that Goldfarb had a role in just about every player personnel decision the Giants’ baseball operations department made to shape this year’s team — from past amateur drafts to in-season trades to off-season free-agent signings.

“He’s one of our ‘Moneyball’ guys, if you will,” Giants president Larry Baer said last week, alluding to the process of finding valuable players that other teams might overlook. “He does a lot of our really important analysis on player acquisitions.”

Goldfarb’s job, that 2010 article from JWeekly.com notes, is to “focus on taking a mountain of statistics and data and “putting it into a simple, understandable format for people that need the information.” And it’s not just some make-work job to satisfy some affirmative action for computer geeks requirement:

Goldfarb and his cohorts in analytics also were instrumental in re-signing Uribe before the season, trading for two relief pitchers in midseason (including lefty specialist Javier Lopez) and going after mid-season discards Burrell and Ross. He also helped convince officials to draft college stars Lincecum (2006) and Posey (2008).

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Looks decent on one’s resume, to say the least.

5. zumiee said, on December 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm

And yet another article excerpt, for the heck of it: :)

Yeshayah Goldfarb enters his 13th season in the Giants baseball operations department. He helps run the minor league operations on a day-to-day basis, including spring training camp, roster formation, player evaluation, budget management and affiliate team liaison. Additionally he provides statistical analysis for, on minor league, and amateur players for purposes of roster construction, player acquisition and development. He is also responsible for seeking out and incorporating new technologies and data into baseball operations information systems.

Goldfarb graduated Cum Laude from the University of California, San Diego. A former pitcher and team captain, he played four seasons with the Tritons and was elected most inspirational Player by his teammates and presented with the John Roth Memorial Award (Charlie Hustle) by the coaching staff in 2000.

The Berkeley, CA native began his career with the Giants as a scouting intern and video assistant in 2001 and was hired full time after the season as Assistant, Baseball Operations. In 2006 he was promoted to Coordinator of Baseball Operations and then promoted again in 2010 to his current position Director, Minor League Operations/Quantitative Analysis.

6. Flavor said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I appreciate the Goldfarb blarb’s and he sounds like an intelligent person. But what do we know about his involvement with Sabean? What do we know about his influence in meetings? Reading blurbs about him being responsible for signing Uribe, Lopez, etc. None of us know what Sabean does and doesn’t do with advanced metrics. This dude could be a high paid fake named lackey just designed to make it look like Sabean embraces sabermetrics. Most of his moves suggests that he doesn’t

• snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

If Yeshayah had actually helped develop a good, starting MLB OFer from the Giants system since he’s been with them, I’d be impressed. Meanwhile, he appears to write a good description of how to theoretically find and develop one…

7. DJLoo said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm

His first name alone would take a month to solve on Wheel Of Fortune…

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

both his first and last name sound made up to me. Relax, that’s a joke, I’m sure he really exists. Um, I might go google image him just to make sure lol

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

That’s a show I’ve yet to understand. My coltish impatience just wants to solve the fecking puzzle. Now. Immediately. As for the show’s metrics, what are Vanna White’s? I once saw her on a midtown Manhattan street filming a promo or something. I am pretty sure the director was Johnny Carson’s brother. Somebody said it was. Looked just like him. Vanna was short, smaller than I’d *imagined*.

• Macdog said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Goldfarb: The Yeshayah Kid.

8. Flavor said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm

there is a fantastic article written a couple of weeks ago about the dysfunction of the Seattle mariners front offense. Their GM forged his resume to get the job and has spent the last couple of years mocking advanced metrics that get presented in upper management meetings. Google it if you want to read it.
    I’m not saying that Sabean is *Captain Queeg* or anything but just because these teams employ advanced metric personnel means nothing……

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Nice information, Zum. I admit I thought the same as Flavor. This dude obviously gets sent on a doughnut run when things are going down.

10. willedav said, on December 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm

SanDawg, have fun man, I wish I had the time for what you are doing.
    I prefer 5 man motion/cut screen passing game offenses, simpler the better. Your better players are always gonna find a way to ge theirs.
    Regardless, all players have to be taught to read the defense and recognize what’s going on before they make the critical decision of shoot pass dribble, with dribbling being last option (with guys that’s tough). And of course to learn how to move without the ball, since only 1 guy has it at a time.
    No substitute for fundamentals of ball handling vs. pressure and footwork, all based on repetition of same.
    And I spend way more time and empasis on D and rebounding than I do on offense and running plays.
    I was fortunate enough to play for a guy who made things fun and wasn’t afraid to be imaginative or goofy.
    Unfortunately for me he was also a good judge of talent, which meant I wasn’t gonna play much. Fun tho.

11. snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’ve been out and about all day in an out of my car on the road. Had the radio off/on, heard zilch about Peter O’Toole until now from the Flap news dept. I’m bummed. What a character, what a great actor, what a great voice, what a great life led. I’m imagining trying to keep up in a pub with O’Toole and Richard Harris in a night off (or on) from the theater. I’m sure my liver would attempt to refuse the invitation. Tom Hanks has two “best actor” Oscars, O’Toole none except the “honorary” one. That’s absurd…

12. snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I haven’t heard anything about how the powers-that-be might fete the Giants history in the building next Monday night as all say good-by to the “Stick. It all seems Niner-centric. Sure, the Gyros have been gone over a decade, but they were there for the first decade and change before the Niners showed up, and played way more games there, obviously. Sure, the Niners won 5 titles while playing there, none for the Giants. But, there’ve been great baseball memories made there. The ’62 Series ending with McCovey getting robbed. The ’89 NLCS with Will the Thrill winning it with that hit off the Wild Thing in the bottom of the 8th. Just a pair among many. So, despite it being a football game for the last real contest, I would hope somehow the Giants memories and maybe a player or two get a piece of the pageantry, such as it is…

• DJLoo said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm

How about the 2 surviving Beatles?

• James said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:18 pm

The Beach Boys owned the ‘Stick!

13. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I heard something about Paul McCartney being there Monday night. Was thinking about getting a couple tickets for my son and me. Til I looked at the prices.

• snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I thought he wanted to do a farewell concert or some such…

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:15 am

I had the same though Charlie (even before hearing the McCartney rumors), and also the same reaction at the ticket prices. I believe the least expensive ticket was around $327. And no way in hell I would go unless I had a place to hang my hat that night. A guy I work with’s dad bought them two tickets (upper box end zone) and they are staying at the Marriot, with shuttle services. Now that’s the way to do it…get as lit as you want and not have to worry about traffic and driving. Would be awesome to be there for the last game. Damn…lots of great memories in that old shithole.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Peter O’Toole was pretty awesome in Lawrence of Arabia. An epically long but good movie. He was one of those guys who was just good at what he did. When he was there, you watched him.

• DJLoo said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Few people remember that Lawrence Taylor’s awful original nickname as a NY Giant was “Lawrence of the Meadowlands”. Few people also remember that his permanent nickname “LT”, was inspired by another popular movie, “E.T.” Few people could also give a fuck about this.

• Macdog said, on December 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm

15. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Now that’s some funny shit.

• snarkk said, on December 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm

LT must have been on break from the motel with the underage girl…

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:20 am

Hilarious. Still one of my all-time favorite shows. Sopranos kicked-ass…

16. James said, on December 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Another RIP:

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:26 am

Price was one of the standards that my parents would spin when I was growing up. Dude had a profound impact on country music. RIP.

17. Nipper said, on December 17, 2013 at 6:57 am

Yuban anyone?

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:28 am

Only if it is doctored-up “Buena Vista” style, or, at a minimum, has a healthy splash of Irish Cream.

• blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:43 am

Only San Francisco Bay French Roast (Costco) brand for me Nipper. Only use Yuban if all other alternatives are exhausted. ;-)

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hence my “doctored-up” comment, Steve. I don’t drink crap coffee, and if I must…it needs to be gussied-up with a little sumthin’ sumthin’…

18. pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2013 at 8:04 am

The Beatles’ last concert was at the Stick. I guess everyone knows that. I saw them days before at Shea, amidst the furor over John’s remark about being more popular than Jesus (it was a throwaway line, months earlier, and he was lamenting it, really, noting how ridiculous it was, their fame). This, while I was a horny seminarian. I wrestled, a little, with my conscience, and went to the concert. Great fun. Bobby Hebb. The Cyrkle. The Ranettes. Tons of screaming girls. They wore suits. Stage at second base, I recall. We could hear them. Sort of. Loo, where you there with Buzz Rodriguez?

19. willedav said, on December 17, 2013 at 8:10 am

Blue Note from Great Bear of Los Gatos for me, Nip. Picked up an lb. worth yesterday.
    I also listen regularly to quite a lot of jazz recorded on Blue Note label.

Side note, I read a lot of comments that White Sox might have come out better in their second deal with AZ.
    The Reed guy AZ picked up blew 8 saves (out of 48) and had 4 losses, albeit for a team in a terrible season. The xFIP of 3.77 doesn’t seem like anything to get excited about either, but given what they have in place, maybe he’s an improvement. He also apparently has a low ground ball pct., which again might not play well in hitter friendly AZ.
    DBax guy Towers has made a lot of deals last few years that wound up being head scratchers, and the ultimate result is back to back .500 seasons. Not sure he left Pads on good terms either…of course neither did Bochy.

20. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2013 at 9:24 am

I dind’t realize Bochy coached 12 YEARS in San Dawg. I thought it was 5 or 6 at the most.

21. salty said, on December 17, 2013 at 10:35 am

Going to be interesting now to see what happens with Tanaka. Will he get a release? Annoucement due today. Cap of 20m on the posting fee was favored by small MKT teams …but realistically in a bidding war, those teams can’t compete with Yanks Dodgers Cubs et al. I guess they are all waiting on this before signing a Garza or Ubaldo or trading for Price.

22. willedav said, on December 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Wasn’t Bobby Hebb the guy with the hit single “Sunny”? blessing/curse of one hit guys I guess, having to do that song a million times. I mean, imagine sitting through a half hour of schlock from Carly rae Jepsen waiting to hear “Call Me Maybe” for the billionth time.

I always thought Sonny was a cool name, even if it wasn’t a guy’s original name. Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Sonny Liston, Sonny Jackson, Sonny Siebert, Sonny Randle and of course Warriors inimitable Sonny Parker.

• blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:17 am

You forgot Sonny Landham – porn star, Billy Bear (48Hrs), Billy (Predator . . . Casting director probably didn’t want to confuse him naming him Sonny). ;-)

• Macdog said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:40 am

Sonny Jurgensen, who I think is still doing Redskins games on the radio and is an absolute riot alongside Sam Huff.

• willedav said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

cool player too. I dug the Skins teams with Charley Taylor bobby Mitchell and Jerry Smith, fun to watch. Cool helmet then too, the dark red with the arrow

• James said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm

He may not be Blue Note, but gotta include Sonny Sharrock with the jazz guys, WillieD. Santana is to Sharrock as Pat Matheny is to Ornette:

• James said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Metheny

• James said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Well, I royally fucked that up. Hate when the copy command doesn’t actually copy:

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm

WTH…had to throw some Sonny Boy Williamson out there…

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Also Sonny Boy Williamson (I and II). Of course, neithers’ real name was Sonny…but both could blow a harp like nobodys business…

23. Flavor said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:46 am

I might go to the final game at the ‘Stick. I’ve got a buddy ticket broker who thinks I can get a single for $150 on game day. I don’t care where I’d sit, I probably would just go early, walk around and take some pics. We’ll see, but right now I’m leaning towards going….

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I would absolutely do it! If I was not in the middle of a move and getting settled…I would go. Looking forward to the picts, Craig.

• snarkk said, on December 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Definitely a once in a lifetime deal. Unless, unless the playoff cards fall right and Niners somehow end up hosting the NFC champ game against Carolina, with a last game at the ‘Stick send off to the SB. What a story THAT would be, as Lon used to say…

24. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Do it.

I looked around, and it’s pretty scary how high the tix are going for.

I may hold out hope that Carolina beats Seattle, and we get the NFC Championship game here.

25. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, Willie. For some reason I liked the Skins back in the day. Maybe because Billy Kilmer went there after being a Niner. Jurgenson and all those old farts were fun to watch. George Allen and his over-the-hill gang.

From what I’ve heard, Sonny was a hell of a partier back in the day,

26. zumiee said, on December 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm

For a counterpoint opinion:
    I really don’t like the Washington NFL team. From their racist nickname, to their jerk owner, to their male fans who dress up like wives of the offensive lineman, to their rip-off win over the 49ers in the NFC championship game in the ’83 season on two phantom ref calls in the 4th quarter. And let’s throw in Joe Gibbs, too, for good measure, for insufferable Joe Gibb-ness.
    I’ve rarely seen a team more deserving of their current floundering.

• blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Throw in the over-hyped and imbecilic coach, Mike Shanahan, once called the “Genius.” He’s still barely living on his Elway fame. Fast forward today, he’s ruined a phenom QB that could have been one of the best. I can’t even recall the last time he won a playoff game?

“Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?”

• snarkk said, on December 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

zumiee, rippin’ the Skins a new one. Luv it. Yeah, all Niner fans who saw it remember that BS champ game in DC. The PI call on Lott was a phantom, and handed them the game. Absolute horsemanure. Without that, and without Roger fumbling the win away against the Giants in THAT champ game (’91?), the Niners IMO would have SEVEN Lombardi trophies, before last year’s SB even started…

• blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Still pissed about Craig’s fumble. Interesting article about the Yankees and Dodger Luxury tax. I think the Astros are paying way too much money for that last place 2013 finish, i.e., the Astros’ finished at $29.3 million, the lowest total in the major leagues since the 2008 Florida Marlins and just $1.3 million more than Rodriguez made with the Yankees. ;-)

27. zumiee said, on December 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm

James, I was familiar with Emmylou Harris’s version of “Invitation to the Blues.” I had never heard Ray Price and Roger Miller doing that song. Very cool.

• James said, on December 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Kinda like Chi, I knew Price as a kid because my mom played “For the Good Times” over and over again. Once punk opened up the whole roots rock thing, I listened to every rockabilly honky tonk hick to ever learn three chords. When Dwight Yoakam first covered “Heartaches by the Number”, I was one of the insufferable goofballs in the audience who knew the song’s history.

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, lots of interesting cross-breeding between Americana and punk music. The Clash took Joe Ely on tour as their opening act. And nowadays it’s routine to see ex-punkers performing at Americana music festivals, like the Mekons performing at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival.
        Stripped down roots music is very punk rock, and vice versa. Johnny Cash was much beloved by the punk rockers.

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I was one of those goofballs, too! ;-) Too damned funny!

28. James said, on December 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Seeing Snarkk’s references to the 7 Lombardi trophies, brings out why I will never care as much about today’s 49ers as I did about the Montana/Young era teams. Especially under Montana, when those Niners didn’t win, it was usually because they were upset or gave the game away to largely boring ass, field position, chew the clock up, run-oriented teams. Now the 49ers *are* one of those teams that used to unjustly get in the way of a SB championship.

29. blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I know more than a few of you are disappointed with the off-season moves . . . Maybe this ESPN article will cheer you up. Bochy is especially excited about Morse, everything the front office did, etc. I can’t wait until the season starts . . . http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10153202/michael-morse-san-francisco-giants-finalize-6-million-1-year-deal

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers