Mike Morse Can’t Walk on Egg Shells

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 17, 2013

“If you hit one, you hit one, it doesn’t matter what park you’re at.” — Mike Morse.

That is a quote from a big man who hits monster bombs. That’s Dave Kingman shit. And I think he’s right. For starters, it’s great to hear someone confidently talking about their power abilities. We haven’t had that since Barry who last played six years ago. That’s a long time to go without having a power hitter. And that’s what Morse is. He’s manly muscle. He’s hugely huge– he’s the dude you want behind you when *it’s on*. Come to think of it, he’s the dude you want IN FRONT of you when *it’s on*. :) :) :)

And he’s a right handed hitter so he really doesn’t have to deal with Triples Alley which he’ll appreciate after playing at AT&T for a couple of months.

I watched his interview at Comcast a couple of times. Like him. He’s pretty straight forward. He’s got a little *Voggy* in him when it comes to interviews. And Voggy is without question the best interview on the team—tells it like it is. He doesn’t worry about slipping up on a word or an unpopular opinion.

Anyway, I’m down with Morse. I’m not going to call this a great signing the way I called the “Pagan for Torres” trade. Morse and his brittleness make him too much of a risk for that. But Sabean did a great job scoring this dude…….

_______________________

Quickie on Mark Mulder: I read Sabean’s comments on him earlier today and I was surprised because he made it sound like Mulder was after the $$$$. I thought, “that’s a joke, Mulder just fiddled around with his windup and is giving the big leagues one last shot. Plus, he’s already under contract for 2 more years with ESPN, he’s got a nice paying gig already.”

I guess Mulder caught wind of Sabean’s nonsense because he tweeted this out:

mulder

Now, the reason I uploaded this tweet re-tweet is because Sabean feeds the local scribes bullshit on a regular basis. It’s nice to see Mulder call him on it. Someone needed to…….

About these ads

1. stixwiz said, on December 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Should several things go right in the upcoming season Morse will be the kedge anchor, batting 7th, for a long Giants lineup which an opposing pitcher does not get through till he faces his mound opponent. A thumper batting waaay down in the order will keep those opposing pitchers just a bit on the dainty side ~ good news for the SF offense.

• Flavor said, on December 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I really like him batting 7th. Don’t worry about what’s below you just let the guys in front, who are faster than you, get on base and go ahead and blast the fuck out of the ball…..

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

From what I have read Morse was excited to hear that the Giants had interest and wanted to come to SF. I know that the dude isn’t playing for free but still, that is nice to see. A hitter wanting to come to SF. I like it.

• snarkk said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm

He’s getting paid well for a one year “prove it” contract, after a disastrous, injured season. That’s what’s going on here. Giants are taking the risk that this guy isn’t done. Morse has all the upside potential…

• Flavor said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Snarkk– it’s a bit of a reach to put “disastrous” and “injured* in the same sentence. He banged 9 bombs in the first month of the season (after 30 the year before) and then he got his finger hit by a pitch and then fucked his wrist up and tried to play through it. I have said this many times (based off my my own experience) and it’s fairly common sense: there is no worse injury for a hitter than an injury to the wrist.
        I’m not banking on Morse but I like the angles on him and I like the signing.

• Flavor said, on December 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Dirt–exacATLY. (no reason I mixed up the cap letters there mid word. Just trying to keep it edgy).
      No hitter has EVER wanted to come to AT&T. It is rad-awesome that this dude is jizzing about wanting to be here. He had other options…..

• snarkk said, on December 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm

What, Houston was an option? Don’t get me, wrong BF. I absolutely hope this Morse cat friggin kills 35 dingers for us. But, let’s get real. Sabes is paying him well to see if he can recover some 2011 magic, because we got spit in AAA and AA for LFers…

3. blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I need to set my alarm clock to Flavor’s night time threads . . . I am repeating this last post from the thread prior.

I know more than a few of you are disappointed with the off-season moves . . . Maybe this ESPN article will cheer you up. Bochy is especially excited about Morse, everything the front office did, etc. I can’t wait until the season starts . . . http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10153202/michael-morse-san-francisco-giants-finalize-6-million-1-year-deal

4. blade3colorado said, on December 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Anyone watch the Kings game this evening? Wondering about Rudy Gay (on one of my FL teams), who apparently injured his knee . . . Limping or carried off? Any info appreciated.

5. SanDawg said, on December 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

What?????? Rudy Gay injured????? Say it ain’t so!!! Seriously, the only thing I read about the game made it sound like he had an off game and didn’t mention an injury. Keep me posted, Blade.
    …you might also appreciate this: my fantasy football team made it to the semi-finals this past weekend. I was trailing heading into the Sunday night game when my money-in-the-bank receiver Antonio Brown had his usual nice game and gave me the lead heading into Monday Night Football—where my opponent had the Ravens kicker. All I needed was for the Ravens Kicker to have an average to decent game–or worse, in order for me to win. Then the sunufabitch goes out there and kicks 6 fucking field goals—with a 61 yard double-bonus-job tacked on at the end for good measure! Unbelievable!!!! Why do I put myself through this crap???

• snarkk said, on December 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Ouch….

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 6:34 am

I understand completely SD. I live and die with my FL teams. I’m in one pro NBA league and I think I have a good shot for the $600 plus 1st place money (or at least being in the money for top 3). As you are aware, it takes a lot of research to know who’s who in MLB, NBA and NFL. The latter one I gave up on, but did do a Fan Duel tournament a couple of weeks ago (with Flavor’s assistance). I might play next year, after I study the current league, but frankly, I don’t know shit about the football players this season.

I think Gay is all right. He had knee stiffness and was taken out in the 3rd quarter last night. Dude may play this evening. He has been money with the Kings thus far, with even his FG% going up. Gay does everything well, so I like him in my lineup. Also, Thomas has benefited with the departure of Greivas Vasquez (sp?).

6. DJLoo said, on December 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Signing Morse is a little like signing Huff the first time around. Except he’s getting twice the money and is so much less accomplished. Much like Huff though, I think it’s strictly a stab and sometimes they work out. I was hoping for a much more dramatic move – something involving Panda or the Brandons, but it wasn’t in the cards.

7. chipower9 said, on December 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I absolutely dig the Morse signing. I heard him interviewed the other day on KNBR. Dude is pumped to be here, and as Dirt pointed out, how many power hitting OFers have fit that bill of late (rhetorical question…we all know the answer is NADA)? We know Morse is a risk…and that the OF cupboards are bare (and have been for a long fucking time). I GET IT (heard it a kazillion fucking times now). But, I still think for 5-6 mil and some incentives, this is a relatively low cost risk. And I get it that if it doesn’t pan out, then it is Blanco and Perez. Oh fucking well…that is the reality of the situation. I wouldn’t mind seeing Perez get a shot at showing us what he could do as an everyday or near everyday OFer. I think the kid can play, and look forward to finding out what he can do when playing consistently. For now, I want to see Morse hitting HRs like a banshee.

I am excited about the team and as Steve said at the end of the last thread, I cannot wait for the season to start. Which reminds me, I need to ping my daughter about our going to spring training this year. Weeee Doggies! Saddle it up and let’s giddy the fuck up! We got Dodgers to rustle up!

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 6:39 am

I like Perez too Chi. I think he can play and is an excellent fall back plan if Morse does a face plant.

8. SanDawg said, on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Kills me that Morse came up as a shortstop! Hard to picture that dude turning two while avoiding a hard slide. From what I have read (and can see with my own eyes) he has dabbled a bit with PEDs over the years.
    Dont get me wrong though-I fully support the signing. It has a bit more of a DeRosa feel to it for me, but I see what you mean re Huff. Hopefully, he’ll log a few more at bats for us than DeRosa did. I do still fondly recall DeRosa homering off Roy Oswalt on opening day 2010 while I painted my living room with my parents and sister lending a helping hand. Any early word on what Morse’s wife looks like?

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm

She rocks!

• SanDawg said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Very nice! Zum-how you feeling about our Sactown Kings these days? i was a little bummed to see your homeboy Chuck Hayes thrown into the Gay deal.

Least favorite sitcoms for me all time: Gilligans Island, Hogans Heroes, The Jeffersons, Married w Children.

9. zumiee said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I saw a little bit of the 4th quarter of the Kings game tonight. A Jimmer Fredette sighting! A possible bit of “showcasing” going on?

• SanDawg said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Maybe so. Id be fine with Jimmer getting some of McLemore’s minutes. Ben seems overwhelmed and maybe Jimmer can getthe old BYU mojo going. Man, he put on a show a couple of times down here against he Aztecs.

10. James said, on December 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Do the Kings still have that White Chocolate dude?

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 6:41 am

LOL . . . Uhh, he left about a decade ago James. His name was Jason Williams and his last stop was Memphis I think. :-)

• James said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

He was the last thing I remembered about the Kings. :-)

11. Nipper said, on December 18, 2013 at 2:39 am

Ah the Yuban is strong this morn. Listening to CBS Sports Talk. Damn the BS is flowing.

12. paulinasia said, on December 18, 2013 at 3:27 am

I can’t see Bochy hitting Morse 7th. With Crawford and the pitcher coming up next, dude won’t get anything decent to hit. He might start out lower in the line-up, but if he appears to be in good form and injury free, I’d guess Boch will move him up fairly quickly. Honestly, Pablo would be better off in the 7th spot if for no other reason that opposing pitchers can’t pitch around him, as he swings at and can hit most anything. But I’m also hoping Pablo regains form as one of the team’s best hitters, which requires him to bat higher in the order. Honestly, I’d LOVE to see Morse become the team’s next cleanup hitter … you know, like, someone who actually cleans up…. Pagan Belt Posey Morse Pence Pablo Scoots Crawford or something like that, at some point in the season.

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2013 at 5:17 am

Panda at 7th for the reason you gave makes a ton of sense.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers