Time to Pay the Piper

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 18, 2013

The Yankees got hit with a 28 million dollar luxury tax for 2013 which shouldn’t bother ownership….as long as they win. But they haven’t won in a long time and Hal’s been on a mission to get under the tax ceiling of 178 million for a couple of years now. If they can get under it just once it will reset their tax to 12.5% going forward rather than the whopping 50% they pay now for going over the threshold for so many consecutive years. This brings A-Fraud’s case back into the news. The only way the Yankees get under that cap in 2014 is if a judge upholds his suspension and they don’t have to pay him the 26 million he is owed.

I am praying that Lame-Roid gets all his money. As much as I dislike him and I would experience a smidge of joy knowing he’s got to try to feed his family on the paltry 353 million he’s made in his career so far, it would suck to see Selig and his New York cronies pull this scheme off. This absurd 211 game suspension was never about anything more than the Yankees looking for a get-out-of-jail free card.

The Giants final 2013 payroll checked in at 141.3 million (7th highest in baseball). The way the SF ownership operates there is no way in hell they will ever pay a cent in luxury tax. And far be it from me to criticize how others spend their money but it’s important to note that Giant ownership would check in much higher than 7th if you were ranking wealthiest ownership groups in mlb. Just sayin’.

About these ads

1. chipower9 said, on December 18, 2013 at 7:29 am

Couple of comments on posts from the last thread.

SanDawg mentioned it hard to imagine Morse playing SS (with his size). Only significant time he played there was the year he broke into the majors (2005) when he played in 55 games (50 starts). Outside of this, he has had no starts at SS, and only one game in each of ’06 and ’07. He is currently listed as 6’5”, 245. I suppose he has put some weight on from the days he came up. And remember, Crawford is no spring chicken (6’2”, 215) and the dude is almost wizard-like at SS at times. Morse’s FP at .946 at SS was not great, so I imagine this is one of the main reasons why his time there was limited.

Paul mentioned he could envision not seeing Morse bat 7th for long (especially if he comes in healthy and rakes), and that he could see Pablo there (dude swings at everything and hits a lot of shitty pitches). Craig concurred and I could see that, too.

RE: The Yank-Mees and their trying to get under the luxury tax threshold, and not winning much of anything while they were spending big. This is one more reason that the Bums current model doesn’t alarm me, either. They have signed some big names, but I think you need chemistry to put a good run together at a WS championship, and I’m not sure that dysfunctional collection is capable. Time will tell, but their tact has been tried before with limited success.

Also agree on the A-Fraud comment about hoping he gets his coin so that the Yank-Mees are unable to get below the tax threshold. I delight in seeing them and the Bums suffer…it all brings me great joy.

Fuck am I ready for some baseball…

On a separate topic, not sure how many saw this piece by Olbermann re: the Stick’s final days. He is a self-centered blowhard, but I thought this somewhat entertaining. And check out the Chris Berman sideline piece late in the video after the Niners iced the Niners for their first Super Bowl trip…that is a trip.

2. chipower9 said, on December 18, 2013 at 7:31 am

Ah…might help to include the Olbermann link:

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2013 at 7:49 am

Olbermann’s an idiot and he was over the top critical in a not-enough-funny way to make it worth it. But you’re right, the Berman snippet was fantastic. I wonder if those 2 dudes who came in at the end of his report have seen that vid clip recently (or ever). I had never seen it. Thanks for uploading it.

• Nipper said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

He never mentioned the restrooms of which there were too few of them. Or the ridiculous narrow concourse stuffed with fans trying to get around. Yeah it was our dump.

3. willedav said, on December 18, 2013 at 7:58 am

“Panda at 7th…makes a ton of sense.”
    Um, until you actually look at his career OB of .351. For all the *hacking* twice he has had seasons OBs over .350 including 1 of .387; during same period Pagan has 1 at .350, and Sandoval’s OB has been consistently higher than the Giants lead off hitter. And it was great to see Pagan at near top form end of season; he was awesome as ever.
    One of the reasons I stopped reading the Pav’s blog at the Merc was because of all the loony tunes guys who argued over every single LU Bochy put out there. One guy used the handle Bochy’s Platoony Adventures as I remember. Pls, it’s freaking December, eh? let the mgr. figure it out, in say April.

4. willedav said, on December 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

I was in a real bookstore yesterday, of which there are far fewer in south bay than there used to be. Saw an *instagram* book with pix from 2012 of mostly giants and A’s by a guy I think named Brad Mangin. Pretty cool stuff to flip though– ST stuff, Lincecum in the dugout, Pagan salute, reg season and playoffs, Romo with the *I just look illegal* shirt during the big celeb. Seems like neat gift idea, tho I didn’t buy one.
    And I have no idea wtf instagram is or how it works.

• chipower9 said, on December 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

Bought a copy of Mangin’s book for my daughter’s fiance (he’s the head coach at Menlo College). Of course, I had to peruse it. Yes, all photos are shot with his iPhone and were “Instagrammed” (is that a word?). Pretty cool book…I plan to get a copy for myself. He is also the photographer that did all of the photos for a couple of the Giants WS books.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

Yeah, Olberman used to be funny. Now he’s just an obnoxious fat turd blossom. Glossing over all the meaningful games there, and the fans that stuck through them when the teams were down, is bullshit. Football weather there was usually MUCH better than in the summer, but yeah, it’s a dump. Ha ha. We get it Keith.

However, I didn’t realize that the Beatles didn’t even come close to selling out that last performance.

I’ve seen another Berman piece a bunch of times after that game, but not that one.

6. zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thanks for posting the link, Chi.
    25,000 people showing up to see a rock concert in the mid-1960s was a huge crowd. Shea Stadium drew a bigger crowd on the tour, but that was an incredible exception.
    I have mixed feelings about Olbermann. He obviously puts a lot of effort into his material, and that’s admirable; but it often feels like it’s being done to draw attention to how “clever” he is.
    I used to watch his show on MSNBC; I like his political take on things. But he’s notoriously difficult to work with, and that gig just became another one where he burned bridges.

• Nipper said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:21 am

At least he’s not another vanilla type broadcaster afraid to offend anyone. He has a point of view and hammers it home with gusto!

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Well said, Nipper.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Wow, I just said “Well said, Nipper.”
        Bazinga!!

7. zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

S-Dawg, regarding the Kings, I generally have remained a fan of them over the years. The memory of the “golden era,” the Chris Webber/Mike Bibby years, is still strong. That team was a lot of fun to watch, and came darned close to winning a championship.
    And I’ve kind of grown to sorta like the Grant Napear and Jerry Reynolds broadcasting of the games. Maybe it’s just me kinda feeling sorry for them having to broadcast so many blow-out losses over the past decade.
    I’m always hopeful the team will rise again. The new coach seems highly motivated to get the job done. They have had some good moments, occasionally, this season so far. And if they could have won a few of the many close ones they lost, their record would be more promising for this season.
    I still usually watch the games, or at least have the games on in the background as I read or surf the web.

8. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

Yeah, what could have been a funny piece about the idiosincracies of the Stick comes off as condescending trash piece about all the stupid fans that went to games there.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

And his beloved NY Giants play in a dump in New Jersey, so he doesn’t really have any high ground on this topic.

9. zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

Watching the MLB network hot stove shows, the pundits seem divided over the fate of the 2014 Yankees. From my long distance view, the Yanks seem in serious decline. They could be a last place team this season. But others see hope in ’14 for them. Some expect a big bounce-back season from Texeira. But the loss of Cano should even that out.

10. zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 9:39 am

My least favorite sit-com…..that’s hard to choose. There are many I don’t like. But I have to give special mention to “Barney Miller” and “The Office.” Two shows that I stared at in mute silence like an Easter Island statue and wondered where the humor was supposed to be.

• snarkk said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm

zuMoia?…

11. stixwiz said, on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

Karma getting its dues at long last is how i view the Evil Empire and their merrygoround with A-Rod. Couldn’t be happening to a bigger buncha jerks. That goes for the NY based sports media as well, needing to hafta make excuses for their little darlings. Double that for the other major media center down in LaLaLand and their team’s hodgepodge of talented but troubled troops tripping all over each others’ bloated egos.

12. blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 10:37 am

Yankoffs still have to find a couple of bodies to fill 400 innings. I see NO WAY they stay under the luxury tax regardless of whether ARod does the 211 game penance or not. Dollars to donuts Tanaka and/or Santana pitch for them this season (I doubt Garza goes there – he’s headed to the Angels in my opinion).

13. blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 11:28 am

Interesting day in the market . . . I get home and take a quick look at my investments – down almost 5k . . . I take a shower and check again 15 minutes later . . . Ahem, up a couple of k. Shit happens when the Fed speaks! :-)

14. zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Another thing about Candlestick and Olbermann….regarding the ’89 earthquake, give the Stick a lot of credit. It’s not like 60,000 people died in a collapsed stadium. The Stick held up quite nicely. Everyone got out of there just fine. After a thorough inspection, the Niners went right back to playing there that seaon, and of course, won the Super Bowl that season with arguably the best Niner team ever. A strong case could be made for the ’84 team, too.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Were Games 3 and 4 of the ’89 World Series still played there? I can’t remember.

• snarkk said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Yes, and lost there to Larussa’s roiding As…

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I have to admit, I didn’t even watch game 4. My softball team had a game that night, the Giants were down 3 games to none; plus Roger Craig was giving Don Robinson a start, just for the heck of it, and that seemed wrong.

• snarkk said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Kinda partial for some reason to the ’84 team that went to and won the SBowl at Stanford in Jan 85 over the Dolphins. Freddy Solomon, Wendell “fumble” Tyler. It had in the Dbackfield the fantastic four at its best: Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson — along with Jeff Fuller before he got hurt at Stanford in late ’84 against the Pats. I’ll put those 5 DBs up against any Dbackfield in modern football history. Riki Ellison, Keena and Hacksaw, plus Bunz, McColl at Lbackers. It was a well balanced team on O and D, 15-1 reg season. I’ll put that squad against the unbeaten ’71 Dolphins or whatever and Mercury Morris — it’d kick that Fish team’s butt. And, Rice and Taylor weren’t even in the picture yet — it was Freddy, Mike Wilson and Clark, with Nehemiah running hurdles…

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

That’s all well said….except Fuller was injured in the ’89 season; the game was at Stanford because of the earthquake, and Candlestick was still being inspected.

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm

All’s you heard the week before the game, was how great Marino was and how we didn’t stand a chance against the golden boy of Florida. Not much was said about Montana and his skill set (in comparison). As we all know, JOE KNOWS SUPER BOWLS.

• DJLoo said, on December 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm

As a half century Chief fan, I’m a little partial to the 60’s crew of Robinson, Kearney, Thomas and cheap shot Marsalis. Later on they had a helluva run with Porter, Cherry, Ross, Burruss and Lewis. Hated but kind of admired that Raider Soul Patrol.

15. chipower9 said, on December 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Just got confirmation from my daughter that she is in for spring training this year. Excited as hell to think about making the plans!

54 days until pitchers and catchers report! WHOOP!

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 4:02 pm

That’s great Chi. You both make that a wonderful tradition.

16. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

One of these years, we’ll make it out there.

17. Flavor said, on December 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

#87 just got interviewed on Knbr. Man, Clark is hilarious. Not always on purpose but he’s the best. One of my favorite players of all time (any sport)

18. Flavor said, on December 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Another thing that Olbermann said that irritated me: he went on and on with his Joke about how cold it was for Harb’s in that pre-season game in mid August but anyone that knows anything about Candlestick knows it was always coldest in the Summer.
    The Niners had it easy with the weather playing day games in the fall–traditionally the best weather of the year in SF

• blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

He probably never got the memo about Mark Twain’s weather quote.

19. blade3colorado said, on December 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Damn, things are shaping up damn nice for our Giants. Even the Panda is getting in shape and looking more like the Panda we’ve all loved and admired . . . http://tinyurl.com/lxv78d4

20. Bozo said, on December 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I’m not sure about the rest of our minor league system, but Richmond is stepping up big time. It’s chin music to my ears. http://tinyurl.com/phb255j

• stixwiz said, on December 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm

If Chin Music is a go, will Acorn Ale be next? Jeeze how times change. When i was a tyro ad-writer in downtown Minneapolis in the Spring and Summer of ’68 I tried to talk my agency into doing the leg-work to create an entire merchandising system for a domestically-produced DARK beer. Yes, Maxine, such suds did not exist in the U.$. brewski scene at that time. Creative director was somewhat ok with the idea, but the sales side considered it a no-go. So i ended up as an ink-slinger editing a suburban newspaper a couple months later.

Creative ideas are rarely if ever appreciated by conventional minds. Thinking outta the box tends to get one boxed in.

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm

chin music—-“throwing something near my face”— if that’s not a perfect name for a beer when I’m wasted I don’t know what is. Love it!

21. SanDawg said, on December 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Recently MY son was at CHUCK’s house, listening to some old records on a turntable given to Chuck by none other than TWIN. That’s pretty fucking cool.

@Loo: I love the Chiefs as well. The first game I can remember watching was the Podolak game versus the Dolphins. Longest game ever, I think. I was devastated by the loss. Used to have a sweet Len Dawson poster in my bedroom.

@Zum: I’m down with the sickness regarding your dislike of Barney Miller. The Office, I liked.

I’m having mixed feelings re clicking on the link above re Candlestick. I absolutely despise Olberman and Berman aint real high on my list either.

22. DJLoo said, on December 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

It ruined my Christmas, SanDawg. Never forgave the incomparable Stenerud for missing a chip shot in OT.
    27 yarder I think…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers