Merry Christmas, Flappers

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 25, 2013

This is the thread I wrote last year. What a difference a year makes. Don’t forget to appreciate the love in your life. If you can, love a little harder today. It’s easy if you try.

Last year on Christmas I read World Serious. I don’t have any new Kokonuts books to read so I’ll either re-read it or maybe watch some basketball. However you choose to spend your day today, enjoy and appreciate someone or something in your life that makes you happy.

About these ads

1. willedav said, on December 25, 2013 at 8:54 am

Nice to see that again, with all the messages from others, thx.

And in the hug those closer vein like last year thread, I happened to be visited in store yesterday by a gal who lives nearby and travels a lot, retired, great sense of humor, always fun to talk to. She was in shopping in town and told me an unbelievably sad story–she just lost her husband, who went up north to check on property they own, and died of carbon mono poisoning as he and a buddy entered the house. They had had some work done previously on a furnace/vent, which apparently is what caused the gas to accumulate in one area, no detector.
    Turns out the medical personnel who arrived had to be hospitalized too. Be safe out there, all.

2. blade3colorado said, on December 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

Merry Christmas everyone . . . Special thoughts to Paulinasia (wondering what a Christmas dinner looks like in China. Hmm.).

Me? I am heading to the mountains for a potluck Christmas dinner with friends; then similar to Flav, watching some basketball (as well as gambling via Fan Duel on same). Nice day in Colorado. Sun is out and it looks like it could hit 60 degrees.

3. twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2013 at 9:07 am

Happy Holidays. See ya next year.

4. unca_chuck said, on December 25, 2013 at 9:45 am

Merry Christmas one and all. Be happy and safe.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on December 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Merry Christmas, Flappers, to all of you and all in your world.

• zumiee said, on December 25, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Don’t let Fox News see it; they’ll claim the Giants are having a “war on Christmas.”

6. zumiee said, on December 25, 2013 at 9:22 pm

MLB network is doing some of their seasons shows tonight, and I saw part of the one about 1980. The A’s pitchers threw an insane 94 complete games that season. It kept them somewhat in contention, but probably messed up a bunch of pitchers. Billy Martin was definitely all about winning NOW, and forget the future, or even next season.

7. chipower9 said, on December 25, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Merry Christmas Flap Nation. That was awesome reading that thread again, Craig…thanks for sharing it. That post and Tom’s both teared my eyes last year.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas spent with those you cherish and love. Gail and I had an awesome day/meal with her two kids, and my daughter and her fiance stopped by later. Unfortunately, my son, his fiance, and my grand daughter were unable to make it by.

Beautiful weather (in the 60s), great food, and time with those you love. Does it get any better (rhetorical question).

I smoked a turkey on my Weber. But before I could do that, I hit a small snag. When I went out to fire up the kettle, I realized that it had not made the trip down from Camino when we moved. So, I went for a little drive (only about 20 minutes each way), and found that KNBR was replaying Timmy’s no-no. I caught most of the 5th – 7th innings. Brought back fond memories of watching that game on the tube. It was quite a little Christmas treat.

Anyway, I just want to say that I really enjoy the community here. It is a pleasure talking ball and life with all of you. Thank you again, Flavor for giving us this spot.

Wishing you and yours the best of health, happiness, peace, and good fortune throughout the New Year.

Only 46 days until pitchers and catchers report. Humm Baby. Three in Five!

8. willedav said, on December 26, 2013 at 8:10 am

This from the Chron on Dubs game vs.Clips: “DLee had 23 pts and 13 rebounds and Bogut added 10 pts and 14 rebounds as the big men each grabbed double-digit rebounds for the 10th consecutive game. No teammates had accomplished the feat since Rich Kelley and Truck Robinson of the NO Jazz in 1978.”

Kelley, from Stanford, was a smooth player, 7 ft. center who could shoot and score. Truck, tho, was my man. First saw him with Jazz and Pistol Pete (only time I saw him live) when he got 20 pts and 20 boards vs. barry and Dubs. Then he went to Phoenix and played on a team with Walter Davis (pre knee surgery) Alvan Adams, Paul westphal don buse. I was at game where they shot something like 67% from the floor, incredibly efficient offensive machine. Truck set killer baseline screens for the shooters, hit his own set shots from 15 and rebounded both ends. Just seemed to come alive at the Coliseum.

As for the clips, Doc rivers is FOS to blame Dubs for everything, “I think we were kicking their butts and they went to something else.” This is the same guy who used to coach noted thugs Kevin Garnett and the Celts. If the clips are gonna play like those guys, dustups will definitely continue.

• Macdog said, on December 26, 2013 at 10:04 am

Ah, Rich Kelley. During his brief time in Piscataway, the New Jersey Nets planned a “Rich Kelley Growth-Chart Night” — and then traded him to Phoenix the day of the game.

• Chipower9 said, on December 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

I idolized Marovich growing up…right down to the baggy gray socks he rocked. Talking about a “pure shooter” that dude was fun to watch. RIP, Pistol Pete.

• chipower9 said, on December 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

Damned fat fingers…that would be Maravich…

9. unca_chuck said, on December 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yeah, that was a crazy game last night. Huge assist goesd to Bogut for getting Griffin tossed. Green’s move I don’t think was ejection-worthy, then again, Griffin shouldn’t have gotten the first T. But Bogut completely egged him into reacting badly and getting tossed. Paul and Curry both went offf in the 4th.

Igluodala needs to work on his free throws . . .

• Macdog said, on December 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

I tuned in last night expecting a wide-open type of game, and instead I got Knicks-Heat circa late-1990s.

10. chipower9 said, on December 26, 2013 at 10:11 am

Well, Tanaka-san will officially be on the market soon. Most stories I read have the Yank-Mees as the leading candidates to land the Japanese hurler. Damn I would love to see him in Orange and Black.

I can hear Renel announcing him now: And on the mound today for your San Francisco Giants…Tanaaaaaka Masahiiiiiiro!

Only 45 days until pitchers and catchers report! I have the itch bad for some baseball…

11. DJLoo said, on December 26, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’m in no hurry for baseball. What’s the fuckin’ rush?
    Giants are more likely to sign Masanori Murakami…

12. Nipper said, on December 27, 2013 at 3:37 am

I’m awake and the dark roast is strong. The sports world wonders…….can Aaron Rodgers play well after his layoff? Hunger Bowl at ATT where food prices are more expensive than Safeway. Yeah we’re hungry!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers