Puig Can’t Drive 55

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 29, 2013

I’m out of town for a few days but saw the Puig-going-110 story and wondered how this might impact Puig and/or his team. I’m inclined to believe this is a sign of a larger problem of Puig being a guy who’s out of control and just basically doing whatever he wants to do–not a unique quality in young athletes, especially for athletes who grew up in poor foreign countries who suddenly find themselves multi-millionaires.

I don’t think Puig has a drug problem (unless you’re talking PED’s which is possible) but if continues to live “life in the fast lane” and not be responsive to people trying to guide him towards more skillful choices in life then there could be a major trouble brewing for him and the team in the very near future.

Thoughts?

About these ads

1. ewisco said, on December 29, 2013 at 8:29 am

I think we already knew that he’s a knucklehead. How does that impact the clubhouse? hard to say. if they’re winning and he’s playing well, it will slide. If he’s not playing well and has some trips to the minors left (not sure what his option status is), i could see him being sent down in a heartbeat to see if that wakes his ass up. Actually i expect him to struggle this year as the league catches up with him. Look what happened to the guy with the A’s in his second year. It will also be interesting to see how the wear and tear of 150 games in the outfield affects him. At the end of the day though, i hope he doesn’t take anyone else out when he’s playing junior racer.

2. Bozo said, on December 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

I say deport his ass back to Cuba, send Kershaw and Kemp with him. Too harsh?

3. unca_chuck said, on December 29, 2013 at 9:20 am

He was the catalyst for their success. He’s the key to their destruction. Well, I don’t think it’ll be that bad. He’s already dissed A-Gon and not listened to anyone regarding his lapses on the field. He’s a bullshit magnet. I see a season of struggle for him. How he handles that will be the key. They can survive without him. His reaction to this will be interesting to watch.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 29, 2013 at 9:29 am

Well, being a Giants fan, I’d be down with him doing a face plant next season both professionally and in his personal life. However, to be fair (and something that Flavor alluded to) – whom among us was making perfect decisions after we graduated high school?

I certainly wasn’t. In fact, my 20s were a blur of partying, drugging, and screwing, where the “epiphany” came just in time. Anywho, my hope for him is similar to Eric’s – I hope he doesn’t do harm to anyone else while he burns both ends of the candlestick.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 29, 2013 at 9:31 am

If I was given $12 mill out of college, I’d have been hard-pressed to not kill myself in spectacular fashion.

6. stixwiz said, on December 29, 2013 at 10:10 am

Puig is basically an archetype for the LaBumbos: Ego-trippers: Check: Prima-Donnas: Check: Me-Me-Me’s: Check: Perpetual adolescents: Check: Team Players: Slovakia.

7. DJLoo said, on December 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

If he was on the Giants, what veteran do you think could get him under control?
    Do the Dodgers have someone like that?
    Is this an old fashioned concept?

8. snarkk said, on December 29, 2013 at 10:40 am

Clowney and Puig — charter losers in the Reckless Driving Club. I don’t care what these young doofuses do, as long as they don’t hurt anyone else during their brainless activities. Hopefully the Niners have gotten to Aldon Smith before he throws his life away. The league is figuring Puig out, the question is now how he adjusts back, or if he can. One thing, Giants’ staff better not be throwing him a first pitch fastball like they did last season — I never could understand why they kept doing that…

• snarkk said, on December 29, 2013 at 10:47 am

Here’s the ‘Ol Ball Coach Spurrier. He seems real concerned about his player Clowney driving like he has a death wish. With this much concern from the coach, why should the players NOT give a S about playing hard for them when there is risk of injury that could ruin a big pro payday? Now, Bill O’Brien puts in two years at Penn State and is jumping ship for a big payday at Houston, after begging unpaid student players and recruits that hadn’t even come yet to stay with PSU when he came on board. O’Brien used/abused these kids false sense of loyalty into a big career move for himself. NCAA football is a disgusting rip off of the players… http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10201321/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-gamecocks-told-police-officer-was-late-stadium

• Nipper said, on December 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Snarkk just realized the obvious? I once drove a Vette over a 100 once. A Mercedes tried to keep up.

• blade3colorado said, on December 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm

My friend Jeremy and I were going about 144 mph in his 2012 500 HP Mustang during our trip to Canada earlier this summer. I’ve gotten my 2000 BMW Z3 M series going 120 – it tops out at 155 mph due to a governor (European version has none), but my nerve kept me from going faster. :-) Yes, no one was around. Amazing how many desolate places there are in the mid west.

• zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I once kind of accidentally got up to 100 MPH on I-5 near the Calif./Oregon border, heading north. The gradual downhill, and no traffic, and…..suddenly a highway patrol’s lights behind me. He let me off with a warning. VERY COOL dude.

9. DJLoo said, on December 29, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Mays made a half-ass effort to keep Jim Ray Hart off the bottle during the season. Being a drunk wasn’t necessarily looked down upon back then.

10. zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Maybe the Dodgers can go with the “hire a full-time babysitter” strategy that the Rangers used with Hamilton, and which some other teams have done with certain players.

11. zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Related to Snarkk’s point, the recent documentary on ESPN about Maurice Clarett was pretty interesting. Clarett challenged the NFL’s rules on eligibility and got crushed by the NFL, NCAA, and the U.S. judicial system. Pretty much a farce. The U.S., as a national culture, has so much invested in college football.

12. zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

The Niners are allowing the Cardinals to hang around.

13. blade3colorado said, on December 29, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Glad to see San Diego make the playoffs, which bumped the Steelers out as well. Niners beat the Packers earlier this season. Hopefully, they do it again.

• zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm

The Chargers are going to be the AFC team I root for in the playoffs.

• blade3colorado said, on December 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Yeah, I have always liked Rivers and he had his best season (QB rating) since 2008. Going to root for them, especially against the Broncos if they get that far.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

My dad took me for a ride half in the bag late one night in his brand new 69 Mustang Mach I 428 SCJ. Right after they finished 280. He got that thing a little over 150 at like 1 am. Loved that car . . . 4 on the floor, forest green, 70′s all around.

Pittsburgh’s out? Yesss! Dallas is making it a game.

15. unca_chuck said, on December 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm

SD is a slow motion train wreck that managed to get out of their own way. They are fun to watch though. And they got the guy I liked in the draft (and Snarkk as well), Keenan Alllen. He’ll be rookie of the year.

16. zumiee said, on December 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm

The L.A. Times’ Bill Plaschke’s take on the Puig situation:

17. gianthead said, on December 30, 2013 at 6:01 am

Have we ever seen this behavior before from a Cuban player. Unlike other Latinos who grew up poor, most did not have to live under the oppression that exists in Cuba. He is the first that I can remember being this out of control. Hate to see some young talented player start going down the wrong path…but if it had to be someone, might as well be a Dodger…

18. gianthead said, on December 30, 2013 at 6:08 am

Chuck, I would be hard-pressed not to kill myself in spectacular fashion getting $12 mill now at 45 with 5 kids and wife….

I did 100 once on 280 as well with girlfriend’s vw passat I think and then hit the 100 heading down highway 1 in my old Isuzu Impulse. And of course the one time leaving Vegas in the dessert in a rental….all sober!!

19. unca_chuck said, on December 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

I got my old Mustang to 125 on 280. This was in the late 70s. Middle of the day, no one out there.

5 kids?!? Damn. That’s death by 1,000 cuts . . . !

• gianthead said, on December 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Yes it is! Throw in the 9 year old Mastiff at 160 lbs!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers