There’s Cold Weather and Then There’s This

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 3, 2014

According to Stubhub, there’s still a little over 2,200 tickets left for the NFC Wild Card game in Green Bay this Sunday. Packer fans are catching a lot of sh!t on the internet about the possibly embarrassing development of having this game blacked out locally. To which I say: Fuck that. The HIGH is going to be -1. Look, I’m from California. I get irked if I leave the house in the morning and I can see my breath. I don’t own an ice scrapper—if it’s cold enough to ice up my car wind shield in the morning I just sit in the driveway with the defrost on blasting it with my wiper fluid until I can see out of a little hole and then I know I’m good to go–it usually clears up about half way down the hill. I have to deal with this inconvenience about 5 mornings a year.

I own an umbrella but I don’t know where it is……

The point is that when I see that the HIGH is going to be in the *minus* I have great sympathy for the fans of that area who don’t want to throw down a couple hundred bones to go sit in absurd weather to watch a football game. At least the players get to come off the field and sit in front of a heater now and again. The players get to work up a little sweat on the field to keep their body temps up. The fans get none of that.

No, the correct play (if I were a Packer fan) would be to stay at home, eat my giant block of cheese washed down with lots of Budweiser and hope I can secure the game at http://www.vipboxus.co. Black out shmack out. I wouldn’t go to that game with a free ticket…..

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:50 am

Ice Bowl 1967- Three men decide it’s cold in Green Bay

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:55 am

LMAO. I believe that is the first video clip I have seen of your dad, Michael. Very cool (you know…not in a cold way).

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:50 am

Chi, I will intrude with one more clip since you haven’t caught my old man before- 1980 Holiday Bowl, BYU, great finish.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:55 am

great clip Twin.

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:04 am

Ya gotta love Gifford- Dad and Buck are dressed for the cold. Giff is dressed for the Red Carpet. Even his hair is having a good day,He did have a great line later when he said he’d just had a bite of his coffee..

• Nipper said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:01 am

And to think Gifford ended up with Kathy Lee Gifford. Yikes!

• Nipper said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

The lady has a mouth that won’t quit.

• WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:30 am

You can certianly see the resemblance between you and your father. Very cool Twin!

• unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:11 am

Awesome clip! Funny thing is, these days they have the post game crew sit out there for an hour after the games. Really? There’s getting a feel for the game and then there’s freezing to death.

2. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:53 am

Yeah, so many reasons NOT to go.

Colder than a ditch digger’s ass in a Siberian snow storm.

EVERYTHING is expensive…tix, food, booze, etc.

Potential long lines for the head.

While at home you have the comfort of heat, a fridge just a few steps away, whatever kind of food spread you want to put out there, no lines to take a piss, food and booze that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg. Plus you have instant replay with a bazillion camera angles.

I’m with you, Flav. You could not give me a ticket to that fucking game.

Although I am CERTAIN the tickets will get sold (they have until 4 CST) and the blackout lifted.

It doesn’t matter. I think it will be a tough game, but the Niners are truly the better overall team and I expect them to win (Packers missing Mathews – their best player, and also their top run stopper).

GO NINERS! Sack the Pack.

Only 38 days until your Giants pitchers and catchers report to Scottsdale!

3. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:57 am

I can already feel the Scottsdale sun on my face. Sitting next to my daughter at the yard. Cold beer, bratwurst, hearing the ball pop the catcher’s mitt, drinking in the smell of fresh cut grass…dammit I miss baseball and cannot wait for another season to begin.

4. stixwiz said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:42 am

Flav, i’m from next door to em, so i get the notion that Cheeseheads do not guzzle Budweiser. That’s foreign shit to Wisconsinners, ya know. No, if the yellow and green scene is guzzling suds it’s gotta be their native swill like Miller, Old Milwaukee, Leinkenoogles, or Pabst. Of course it’s the Packers and not the Brewers, so they are not quite as totally religious about it.
    Bud might be fine with some of that excellent Dago Hill pizza you can still find around Yogi’s old neighborhood down south of the confluence of the Missouri and the Mississippi, but not with straight up cheeze pleaze.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:08 am

I was thinking yingling but you would know better.

• Bozo said, on January 3, 2014 at 10:48 am

Not to mention they are probably eating cheese curds not a block of cheese. Probably the jalapeno cheese curds to warm em up.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Those cheese curds will probably be deep fried in beer batter, swilled down with a cold Leinenkugels (squaw piss is what many in the Chippewa Falls area call it)…

5. willedav said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:45 am

we’re pretty spoiled for weather out here on left coast, where it’s 60s and sunny for the last week plus.
    Gal who works with me who grew up in central asia just got married recently in Moscow (Russia, not Idaho). Husband who is in business there wanted to honeymoon somewhere warm and suggested Dubai. She wanted to see Prague, and I guess his response was that wouldn’t be any better than Moscow, where snow is still on the ground in May sometimes.
    she’s due back soon, and I’ve refrained from sending any pix of people walking around town in shorts and tees.

Side note–when my godson and his little brother were much younger we drove up to gold country this time of year and stayed with my grandmother. Town (300 people tops no stoplights) was up about 3-4000 ft. off Hwy 49 and it snowed the night we got there, so kids woke up to see it on the ground everywhere (first time for them) as temps were in high teens. 7:30 AM we were all outside yelling and screaming and having snow fights–locals must have shaken their heads at idiotic flatlanders.

6. WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:23 am

It’s especially bullshit considering what a great fan base and history that organization has. If I was a Green Bay fan, I would be pretty pissed off upon hearing that… On the other hand as a fan of the team with the better record, I am still bitter that the Niners have to play there to begin with.

7. WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:26 am

And don’t get me started on the Super Bowl being played in New Jersey.

8. zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 9:51 am

In the playoffs at the end of the ’88 season, the 49ers had to go to Chicago for a playoff game, in super cold conditions, and the Bears fans all week were cock-of-the-walk about how the mighty Bears, so used to the cold, would demolish the “soft” West Coast 49ers.
    The 49ers won the game something like 28-3. One of the Niners had a great quote after the game. He said something like “As the game went on, the Bears fans looked colder and colder.”

• unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:19 am

I think it was 23-0. Skunked the fuckers. Dikta’s comeuppance.

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:35 am

zum is right, 28-3 win, Jan 8, 1989. Wind chill -26 degrees F at game time in Soldier Field. My favorite Niner road win of my Niner fandom. Niners at their absolute best…

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I agree. Ditka was talking shit all week, and no one gave the Niners a chance to go into COLD Soldier Stadium and win. Win? They kicked the Bears’ asses all over the field…

9. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 10:13 am

I am sure both teams will try to establish the run. Lacey is a good back, but I don’t see the Pack getting much going on the ground. Pack are missing key defensive players, so Niners should be able to establish the run (grind out the clock and keep Rodgers and crew on the sidelines). Will be interesting to see how the offenses do with the weather. I think big advantage to each offense here, as the receiver knows where they are going (when they will cut, etc.). Defenders may have a hard time reacting to the routes/cuts with the frozen ground.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

Exactly. I think we can score on their defense pretty much at will. We’ve beaten them in the air and on the ground. Sunday will be both. Just have to hold on to the ball. Mistakes are the only thing that can slow the Niners down.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Yup…I agree, Charlie. GO NINERS!

11. Macdog said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

An appropriate topic after shoveling out of 9 inches of snow today. I’ve been to a number of cold-weather football games, although none approaching zero-below, so as much I dig going to playoff games no matter what the weather, this would certainly test my limits. And the older I get, the less tolerant I am of the cold. My daughter’s soccer team played in a tournament in late November held in unbelievably cold, windy conditions that would make Candlestick on its worst night seem balmy. Thank god the team took first place and made freezing my ass off through two games worth it :) As for anyone criticizing Packers fans for sitting this one out, I doubt these wannabe tough guys would last 30 seconds at Lambeau on Sunday.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I have lived in the Sierra Nevadas since ’88. It gets cold and we get plenty of snow. I could handle all that Lambeau has to offer, but seriously, if I was back there…I wouldn’t take a free ticket. Even with Niner games here, I have just got to the point where I would rather watch ANY football game on the boob tube. Baseball…love being at the yard, getting there early for BP, etc. Football…fuhgetaboutit!

12. snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:38 am

I think this could be higher scoring game than many think. Hard for the defense to turn and recover or run down the guy with the ball. If footing is an issue, it could be a track meet. Look at those games a few weeks ago in the snow. Lots of points. Niners need to keep the turnovers to a minimum, or at least keep them from happening in their end of the field. Almost a given there will some fumbles with that kind of temperature…

13. snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

The thing that pisses me off about this game in Green Bay is that the elements may have a role, maybe a big role, in deciding the game, one way or the other. I don’t find that a particularly good thing for competition. Maybe it is good theater, but BS for a playoff game, especially where one team doesn’t deserve to be hosting it in those elements…

14. Flavor said, on January 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

Lacy’s ankle is still funky and what a lot people don’t know about him is that he has asthma. You know what irritates asthma? Super cold weather. We’ll see how he manages that but I could see him being a non-issue

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I don’t know how you can even breathe air that cold without creating some kind of lung issue, even if you don’t have asthma. I wouldn’t sit in the stands for that game if I had free tickets. I’ve been on the top of Heavenly when it’s been clear and about zero with light winds, that’s the worst cold I’ve ever been in. Skiing in that is doable. But, I’m trying to imagine playing football in weather colder than that, with wind chill below -20. I would think when you come off the field, you’re going to be in danger of really cooling your muscles down fast, so I guess they’ll do everything to keep these guys warmed up on the sidelines. The CO2 level in the atmosphere will probably rise with the amount of energy they’ll burn on the sidelines to keep these players warm…

15. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I didn’t know that.

16. blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Niners wont be acclimatized (i.e., it takes 2 weeks to acclimatize for all types of weather and/or altitude minimum. That’s why climbers have base camps), but if they don’t act macho to prove how they can hang with the cheese heads, e.g., go sleeveless, don’t wear gloves, etc., then they should win this game easily. Green Bay is hurting right now, with a number of key players out. The weather is to their advantage, but the bottom line, is that the Niners are a superior team. Massive upset if they lose.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm

How did that need to acclimate work out for the fair weathered Niners in the 88 NFC championship at Soldier Field… ;-)

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:13 pm

You obviously didn’t read my post. :-)

• WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Do lineman still do that? I remember Mike Golic saying that he never wore sleeves, even during the coldest of games. It’s just not something that I ever pay attention to, but I can’t imagine guys today doing something like that on Sunday in those conditions.

17. Macdog said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Since a couple here have complained about the 8-7-1 Packers being the home team:

In ’93, the 11-5 Giants played at the 10-6 49ers.

In ’72, the 10-4 Cowboys played at the 8-5-1 49ers.

In ’71, the 9-4-1 Redskins played at the 9-5 49ers.

Deal with it.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hey, I don’t like it (have not complained about it), but it is what it is. I just think it is bullshit that a team with an inferior record (and in the case of the pack…they are also from an inferior division), gets to host a game. It probably will never change, but OMNSHO, it should. It’s cool…Niners should take care of business, regardless.

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I don’t like it regardless of who gets the home field. It’s stupid. Regular season should mean something. You go 12-4, you should get home field against an 8-7-1 opponent from a crap division. I’d say the same thing if it were reversed and the Niners got the break. It’s dumb. It was even worse when Seattle went 7-9 to win the crap West and hosted their playoff game a couple of years ago. That’s why the NBA is looking at re-seeding with the continuing ridiculousness of the East v. West conference difference in quality. The best teams should be rewarded. In the NCAA basketball tournament, you don’t make a 30-2 conference winner and top 5 team go play on the home court of a 15-17 team that lucked out and won its conference tournament…

18. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

That should read “IMNSHO”…fucking fat fingers…

19. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:35 pm

The biggest discrepancy was 2010 when the NFC west champ 7-9 Seahawks hosted the 11-5 wildcard Saints. Since it was in Seattle, NO lost.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm

The real pisser is, if not for the bullshit call on Ahmad Brooks, the Niners are the #1 seed.

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Absolutely…

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Yup. Amazing how one play can have such an impact on things…

21. snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:01 pm

With the Rams on the upswing, it looks like next season the NFC West could have 4 teams maybe with 10+ wins. I doubt one will have 13 again, all four will probably pick each other off during the divisional games. The NFC West could be ripe for the next few years to have 3 teams with playoff worthy records, but only 2 get in like this season…

22. DJLoo said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I’ll be experiencing outdoor hockey at Yankee Stadium in late January. Twice.
    Followed by my Chiefs in the Super Bowl across the river a few days later.
    Just saw the Derby winner win the 9th at Gulfstream.

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

“Followed by my Chiefs in the Super Bowl across the river a few days later.” LMAO…hope you didn’t bet the ranch on that one. I like the Chiefs (they were one of my teams growing up as a kid)…Dawson, Buch Buchanan, Willie Lanier, Stenerud…but I just don’t see them having a chance going all the way to the Super Bowl. I think they need a few more weapons on the offensive side of the ball…

• DJLoo said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:19 pm

They’re bringing back the 65 Toss Power Trap, Chi…

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

They’ll need a lot of Alex’ matriculatin’ the ball down the field to get to the SBowl…

• unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Yeah, Otis Taylor was the MAN back then. He and Paul Warfield were my faves.

23. Bozo said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Anyone showing up to Lambeau Field in this truck gets, ah… knowing dude head nod? Darwin award? Not sure, but it really should be done. I wonder if the seats are heated?

24. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Anyone in the AFC is viable. I don;t think Denver makes it, and NE? Well, likely but not set in stone. I think every AFC team has a legit playoff shot. NFC I think it comes down to Sea, or SF. One of these 2 will pick off Carolina before reaching Joisey.

25. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Bad weather can throw the best plans for a loop. In that Ice Bowl game Lombardi went with the seldom used Chuck Mercein in the backfield for the game winning drive.He *wanted* a plodder on the icy field with the game on the line. Chuck was not in the game plan-until it came to that final drive. My point? The great coaches play it on the fly if need be.
    On the sneak by Starr the call was a run, probably by Mercein. Starr went to the sideline and told Vince that on that field he didn’t trust a run from a back- too far to go on that field. So he told Lombardi that he wanted to sneak it. According to Starr, Vince said “Then run it and let’s get out of here.. ”
    BTW, let’s see if this beats “Ice Bowl 1″. The weather that day:
    -2 degrees, relative humidity 55%, wind 15 mph, wind chill -23
    My call- Harbaugh’s style pays off in this one. Same score as in the first Ice Bowl, with the vistors on top this time- 21-17 Niners.

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I think that was gametime weather. I see that it got to -13 temp with a -46 wind chill.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm

The cold weather builds character. Just ask Stixwix. I think the HIGH today was 9. Fuckincold in any language. Pansies.

27. DJLoo said, on January 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Nowadays these guys are warm as toast on the sidelines.

28. zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Snarkk, you were thinking of the ’84 score, when the Niners beat the Bears 23-0 in the playoffs. Yet another time the Niners used the Bears as a doormat on the way to winning the Super Bowl. :)

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 5:50 pm

’84 regular season, ’85 playoffs.

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:11 pm

No, that was Chuck with 23-0 for ’89. I had the correct 28-3 for the ’89 game…

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Oops- sorry about that. :)

29. WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I just remembered how bad Tom Coughlin looked during that Giants-Packers playoff game a couple years ago…His face was so red and chapped, it looked like it was going to fall off at any minute.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Ha! I was thinking of Bill Walsh after the 28-3 playoff win at Soldier Field, with his red nose looking like Rudolf the Reindeer.

30. zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Ah…..good times. :)

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I still crack up when so called experts said Rice had no speed. He had football speed and as he showed in this clip, that’s more than enough.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Well he ran a 4.7 40 (I think). That’s gonna tilt a lot of folk towards thinking you’re slow. Can you imagine a WR running a 4.71 40 TODAY and getting drafted in the first rd?
        I could be wrong about that time, that’s just what I remember and I’m at a bar right now trying to look indifferent :)

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Flavor, when you get home – view the video Zumiee posted and then tell me that Rice had 4.7 40 speed (which I really don’t doubt). In the video, he either has another 2 gears or the 2 DBs he is separating from, just got called up from the Arena football league. ;-)

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Joe to Jerry — sweet!…

31. WilcoJoe said, on January 3, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I get a kick out of reading that those who back the current playoff seeding system, argue that making a change ” minimizes the value of winning your division.”

When you win the division with an 8-7 record, the “value” is that you even made the playoffs.

32. zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I had never heard of Jerry Rice until the Niners drafted him. And then he dropped a bunch of passes early in the ’85 season, and lots of us were wondering…..
    But obviously Walsh knew what he was doing.
    Jerry’s breakout game was on a Monday night that season; he had 200+ yards in a close loss to the Rams.

33. DJLoo said, on January 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Is the 49er-Ram rivalry dead? Brooklyn wants to know.

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:01 pm

It would appear so. There is a growing 49er/Seahawk rivalry. And other teams are ahead of the Rams in rivalry status, such as Cowboys, Packers, and Giants.

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Los Angeles needs to get a team, then there would be a rivalry. Anyone but the Raiders, i.e., you can’t have a rivalry with a team that would have difficulty beating the Sisters of Mercy. ;-)

34. zumiee said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Speaking of Brooklyn…..I’ve been reading Edward Rutherfurd’s wonderful historical novel “New York.” Rutherfurd’s terrific. His books are l-o-n-g, but they hold the interest well throughout. Interesting characters and plots, and historical material.
    I’ve read his novel about southern England, “Sarum.” also, and am looking forward to reading all his novels eventually. I’d also like to start reading some of Bernard Cornwell’s highly regarded historical novels.
    And have several baseball books in the queue I want to get to, also.
    On the TV side of things, I’ve been watching the first season of “The Newsroom” on NetFlix DVDs. Excellent show. Thought-provoking and relevant.
    Also binge-watching “Big Bang Theory.” That show got better as it went along. It makes me laugh. They gave the nerds some girlfriends, and gave the characters more depth. I’m always impressed when a show actually gets better as it goes along.
    I’m looking forward to season 5 of “Justified” starting next week.
    I’ve been giving the new show “Almost Human” a try. The show has flaws, but it has some interesting science fictional elements. The main problem is the main character is not very interesting.

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:05 am

Zumieee thanks for the recommendation…love the genre as well…

35. unca_chuck said, on January 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Zumie, the story was Dallas was very high on Rice. Walsh and McVay made a deal with NE (I think) to get the 16th pick, right in front of Dallas.

36. Nipper said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:04 am

Wildcard games today. What kind of food for these games?

37. gianthead said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:04 am

It was in the 50s last night here in Miami at the Orange Bowl and I almost froze to death…people are heartier in Wisconsin. Still surprising of all places that would not sell out it is GB.

I have heard a couple espn types say they have heard from GB fans that they dont want to go because they see the ass-kicking that was coming:) I am paraphrasing the ass-kicking part…

38. willedav said, on January 4, 2014 at 9:24 am

I think Madden is right, SF has the team more built to play weather game, stout D and versatile attack built off the run. GB is more throw it around and try to score 40–Niners make Rodgers one dimensional and thrash him.
    2 others imo that will suffer on the road would be KC and NO–NO needs the dome to do well, KC needs weather with Charles and the game mgr. Chargers are a hoax; Bengals not much better but way tough at home. KC definitely in right direction tho.
    2 teams I don’t want to see in the big one would be Denver and Seattle…that would be unwatchable.

39. ewisco said, on January 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

I’m surprised at how little movement there is with Tanaka. By now i thought the media would be all aswirl with rumors, conjectures and opinion. Maybe they are nationally and the BA is focused on football?

• zumiee said, on January 4, 2014 at 11:09 am

The MLB network pundit theory is that everyone’s waiting for the ruling on Alex Rodriguez, which will determine if the Yankees have more money to spend, and then we’ll see if the Yankees go for Tanaka, and what money they offer. Also affected are the other free agent pitchers still available, who are all waiting for Tanaka’s situation to get resolved.

40. DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 11:36 am

Hard to imagine Tanaka doing well without his partner, Mr. Fuji…

41. Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 11:52 am

Since moving to the East Coast. some of my biggest adjustments has been the time zone and sports (well that, and in my old SF neighborhood I had four bars within walking distance and here I have three churches). Anyway, Giants baseball games starting at 10PM can be tough but that’s because of the team I root for so I understand that. But football, normal start times here are 1:00 and 3:00, I liked my Sunday morning football games starting at 10AM and 1:00, I’m not a church going guy so that always worked for me (I do understand those times don’t work for everyone and the EC is 3 hours different). But football playoff games starting at 8PM on a Saturday, that just seems wrong to me. I know folks on this blog live in about every time zone there is so this isn’t any thing new to a lot of you and you’re probably laughing at me, but it’s still one thing I miss about the Left Coast.

42. ewisco said, on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Having lived in NY/NJ for over ten years (in scattered bits of 3-4 yrs at a time), I can tell you that as much as we here think about an east coast bias, the east coast fan gets screwed. When i was in college, having the games start and finish late was great because that matched my hours. as a working adult, i was often in bed before half time of MNF and sometimes in bed before the end of the superbowl. It’s flat wrong that the MLB playoffs and WS start so late for the folks on the EC. I believe it’s going to ultimately cost them fans as kids won’t stay up. there will always be some knuckleheaded parents who keep junior up for games but i surely wasn’t one of them. I really fell in love with baseball during the reds/red sox series with Fisk doing his arm waving. if i was living on the EC, i wouldn’t have been up for that game and consequently, who knows?

In a fun related fact, you can’t buy beer at the grocery stores in NYC before noon on Sunday. yes, the puritanical blue laws still affect what many call the greatest city in the world. When we couldn’t buy beer for a NY football Giants game one sunday, they had to escort me out of the store howling at my buddies and saying this wouldn’t happen in CA.

• DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 12:26 pm

How much before noon? What if it’s late Saturday night, but actually Sunday morning, you know like 3:00 AM?

• ewisco said, on January 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm

it was like 9 am when we tried to buy the beer. I lived in a county in NJ that had ALL retail closed on Sunday except for gas stations and very small convenience stores. kind of a pain but the traffic was great!

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Texas still has blue laws and dry counties where it’s tough or impossible to buy spirits on Sunday, and limited hours to buy beer/wine on Sunday (in a store, not in a restaurant or pub). I lived there a few years, it was stupid then, and stupid now…

• Nipper said, on January 4, 2014 at 1:07 pm

“Stupid” …..to be dry.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Stupid to be denied a choice, Nip, because of redneck evangelicals forcing their view of the world on the rest of us…

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Sunday laws (noon) are the same in North Carolina. You can buy booze at a bar after noon on a Sunday but the state run liquor stores are closed. SUCKS.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm

My first experience with “blue laws” was in Bloomington, Indiana, when I was going to school there. I arrived on a Sunday and went immediately to the grocery store and got a couple of 6 packs. Standing in line, I was getting really weird looks. Silly me thought it was because of the 49er jacket I was wearing, but I found out why when the cashier said, “What are you doing?” Thinking that people East of the Mississippi were a bit slow, I spoke slowing, enunciating every word carefully, saying,” I . . . am . . . buying . . . beer . . . Problem?” He said, “Today is Sunday.” I responded, “Is there a special on beer today?” He said, “Sir, we aren’t allowed to sell beer on Sunday.” Okkkkkkkkkkkkk . . . Then I left. :-)

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

In New Orleans in the 80s it was illegal for women (well, I guess men too) to buy tampons or pads. You could buy booze, but feminine products were a no no. Now that is a fucked up blue law if I ever heard one.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Every day or just on Sunday?

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Sundays blade (sorry I didn’t specify that), you’d go into the Woolworths and that section was draped over, yet it was still booze 24/7. Nutty shit.

43. snarkk said, on January 4, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Latest prediction for weather tomorrow in Green Bay = high of 3, wind chill to -25 during the day, and getting worse as the day goes on. Low of -19 with night wind chill below -40. In that weather, turnovers will be key. Hell, in that wind chill a polar bear would fumble a seal…

44. Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I’m rooting for KC, because of Smith. It’s not like when Joe was playing for them, but I’m still rooting for Alex. Go KC.

45. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Funny thing is Joe was the last KC QB to win a playoff game. 20 years ago?

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, amazing stat.

46. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Meanwhile, “Mom and Pop” Marijuana stores are up and running in Colorado.

Shit, we even have “Swinger” lodges in Denver to address your oversexed lifestyle types. LOL . . .

47. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Luck making his bones today.

48. Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Wow.

49. willedav said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm

wow, that’s unbelievable. I only got home in time to see last quarter, but dang, blowing a 38-10 lead?
    Had the game mgr. just taken the sack instead of the grounding penalty he would have saved his team a down.
    somewhere bobby lee bell is shaking his head.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

The defense blew the game, and the KC injuries. Putting it on Smilh Is ridiculous.. and Bowe should have been able to get both feet in on the 4th down pass.

• willedav said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

chill, eh? I’m not putting 45 pts. given up on Smith, just the penalty which was a dumb unnecessary move that cost his team a down. blame bowe if it makes you feel better, but it don’t change the result. Chiefs and game mgr. go home.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, they go home, but lose the “game manager” crap. He was great today, especially with missing Charles, Avery, and then Davis.

50. paulinasia said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Good posts about the time zones differences, etc. Most of my life I was an east-coaster (except for college years in Denver) until I moved to SF in ’96. I remember the first Monday in the office in my new job, a couple guys came over to me around 5pm and said they were going to the local pub to watch MNF, did I want to come. I said, “um, ok, but what are you going to do between now and then?” They kind of looked at me with bewilderment… until the dim bulb in my head flickered on and I realized where I was. LOVED that I could actually watch MNF right from work and still get a good night’s sleep…

51. stixwiz said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Flav:: Players and fans don’t have it too tough in Green Bay for their little skirmish. HIGH temp here tomorrow in the Northwoods of Manysnowta is 21 BELOW. That’s not considering the windshield factor with balmy breezes blowing at 12-15 mph. If predictions hold, it’s gonna seem like Miami Beach here by Friday, though, with temps up in the plus side of twenty. Next 3 days will be a bit of a struggle, though. My woodboxes are jammed for our 30 below tonight. Tomorrow morning will feature pussy all over the top of my bed as those little beasties are heat-seekers and also go for soft places to hang out. It may be a task just to get out from under cover so i can get up and feed the stoves.

• WilcoJoe said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Were only four days into the new year, but those last two sentences alone get my vote for post of the year.

• ewisco said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm

amen brother. amen.

• paulinasia said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

“Tomorrow morning will feature pussy all over the top of my bed” uh, yeah, that should keep you warm… :-p

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Hilarious.

52. DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Smith’s worst play was overthrowing the wide open RB down the sideline for an easy TD. But the “D” was a fuckin’ sieve.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

It was a rare mistake. On the other hand, he was why they were in the game in the first place.

• DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 6:28 pm

A 28 point lead should generally hold up in any sport at any level.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm

No argument there.

53. DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Even if the Chiefs had survived they had no team left for another game. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. I haven’t seen a lot of Smith, but I’m pretty happy with his first season.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Agree Loo. Also, Mike’s point about Bowe is spot on. Frickin’ “last chance” play and he LOSES FOCUS where his feet are? If that dumb shit spent less time celebrating 1st down catches, speeding, and smoking weed, and more time on his craft, they might be playing next week.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Addendum . . . I forgot to include this line from the column:

“There is enough of a history here that a few years ago, Pro Football Talk quoted a league source calling Bowe “the single biggest dumbass in the NFL.”

• DJLoo said, on January 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm

The pass to Bowe was perfect. I thought the DB did a good job forcing him out. I wasn’t really upset at Bowe’s effort, but I don’t even want to see it again. I couldn’t watch the replay of Spiezio’s WS homer till 2010.

54. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Alex has been a terrific playoff QB, but he’ll get trashed for not winning by the same people who never gave him credit when his team did win. The Colts had exactly one receiver who could beat KC and they didn’t double him. GNight folks. Totally unpredictable game tomorrow. The kind where the Chuck Merceins of the world get a chance for their 15 minutes of fame.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

You’re right, Mike, but who cares? You ain’t going to change anyone’s mind regarding Alex. Here or anywhere else.

• twinfan1 said, on January 5, 2014 at 8:16 am

I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. Just speaking my piece. And there *are* fair minded fans who have been Smith detractors who are honest and will, perhaps grudgingly, admit that he had a great game,

55. James said, on January 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Phil Everly and the Chiefs:

56. Bozo said, on January 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Way to go Saints, kick some Seahawk’s ass next week.

Niners tomorrow, I’m fired up.

So, I just read where Colonel Ruppert wanted to buy the Giants. If he had, do you think the Giants would have stayed in NY? Would they have gotten Ruth? Would there have been a One Flap Down? I guess I’m glad he didn’t get the Giants! Go Niners.

57. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, when Bowe was a FA I thought he would be worth pursuing, but after reading up on him, I thought, Nahhhh. He’s a good WR but he’s got no heart. He drops shit way too much, and just doesn’t look like he really gives a shit. That last play is typical. He’s got to at least try to get his feet down.

58. Macdog said, on January 4, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Sorry for Loo and his Chiefs, that looked like a college bowl game. And another successful NFL season is complete: The Eagles have been eliminated.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers