The Riot

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 6, 2014

Ryan Theriot retired yesterday. Officially. We probably could have used him last year but that’s not what Theriot is all about. He wanted to spend time as a full time dad more than he wanted to keep playing baseball. I remember Krukow being pretty hard on his desire to *quit* last year saying that in 5 years Theriot will deeply regret his decision to stop playing. Kruk said “all players” miss playing once they stop. I think that’s a classic Kruk-centric comment. He thinks every ball player is exactly the same. He’s wrong, obviously.

I hope Theriot has invested wisely. He made a little over 8 million in salary, not sure what % went to his agent or if he invested in anything that went bad. It can’t cost much to live in Louisiana though. That’s where he’s from, I don’t know for certain that he moved back there. Although likely, he probably never left.

I think Ryan Theriot ended a career in possibly the best way you could ever end one: with The Slide. Sorry I couldn’t find a short link to it, here’s a video to the 2012 highlights. There’s an annoying song playing in the background plus a loud Red Bull ad at the start (I miss the old red bull ads–stick figures that quietly get wings). At the 3:51 mark you get to watch Theriot slide off into retirement like a kid rocketing down a water slide in his back yard with his buddies.

I bet Theriot had a lot of fun with his kids last Summer.

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 6, 2014 at 7:34 am

Screaming and fist pumping as you score the winning run in the world series is a pretty good way to turn out the lights on a career. Better than Jordan pushing off on my fellow Long Beach alum and sinking the winner only to come back and leave on a sour note.

I’ll bet he did have a good time with his kids too. I’ve spent the last two weeks with mine and it has me rethinking my line of work to spend more time with them.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on January 6, 2014 at 7:48 am

Have to agree that his swan-dive swan song is singularly unsurpassed. Ted Williams had a great last day. But it wasn’t a World Series win. John Updike wrote “Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu” to commemorate that. We have “StubHub Fans Bid ‘The Riot’ Adios.” Or something.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on January 6, 2014 at 7:53 am

Ah, geez, it’s great to be above the dirt reliving those WS highlights, girls.

4. willedav said, on January 6, 2014 at 8:13 am

Riot did go out nicely, but maybe Kruk watching what happened to SF had him wondering how much help the riot could have been. He’s not mlb caliber SS anymore, but as a RH bat might have given Crawford some much needed days off vs. LHP. With the physical issues Scut had, he could have filled in adequately there too.
    He certainly could have had a job if he wanted to (and not just with SF), but the word was he wanted to start and play full time. His call, hope he’s having fun.

Chuck, thx, btw. Here’s my final comment: I watched a few QBs in playoffs this weekend who had the ball in their hands with a last chance to put their teams (yes the whole team is accountable) ahead end of game. Kap got it done, so did Luck, Smith didn’t. Fair or not, so be it.

• sansabe said, on January 6, 2014 at 10:00 am

Its not fair really. Smith was at a big disadvantage with key offensive players hurt. How does Kap fare without Gore and Crabs? Or Luck without his best back and receiver?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 6, 2014 at 10:43 am

Smith put that ball in a good spot at the end to set up a FG. Bowe or whoever the heck it was has to make that play. Your season is on the line. You gotta sell out and do everything to catch that ball in bounds. I’m not sure if I saw the replay right but I don’t think he even got one foot in. You can also look at it as the 49ers D held the Packers to a field goal at the end to get the ball back. If KC’s D could have forced a single 3 and out in the second half KC wins. Regardless, it was a good game. I’m a 49er fan so I don’t really care that KC lost. Smith had a good game. He plays for a different team now. Time to let go of the hate….lulz

• blade3colorado said, on January 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Sorry, but I have to disagree and go along with Dirt and sansabe. Smith’s throw was on the money and Bowe has to make the catch and stay in bounds too. Smith can’t do everything. As I pointed out yesterday, Bowe spends too much time being a “I” guy and not enough time being a team guy. Or, as one league source said, “Bowe is the single biggest dumbass in the NFL.”

• Irish Kevin said, on January 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I disagree, Your offense is not responseable for keeping the other team from scoring. KC’s Defense failed them. Anytime your offense scores 40+ points your team should win. IMO

5. Bozo said, on January 6, 2014 at 9:08 am

I thought the reason Theriot didn’t sign last year was because he only wanted a starting job, no?

6. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2014 at 10:00 am

Wow. Those clips bring back all that excitement around the 2012 playoffs.

Just read a CSN article from the 2012 parade re:Ryan The Riot, and it ended with this:

While were on the subject of dollars, it might be worth mentioning that Theriot is the answer to a trivia question: He was the Giants most expensive free-agent acquisition last winter, at 1.75 million. Thats exactly 212.25 million less than what the Tigers gave Prince Fielder, who went 1-for-14 in the World Series with no walks and four strikeouts. And its a lot less than the dead money the Dodgers absorbed to get Adrian Gonzalez from the Red Sox.

7. snarkk said, on January 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Theriot might have helped a little last season, but not much IMO. A utility sparkplug guy isn’t going to fix the whole team that basically cratered after the first six weeks…

8. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Willie, blade, dirt, yeah, I was not down on Bowe when he was available as a FA a couple years ago. He’s a bit of a head case. He doesn’t seem to ever really give a shit out there. And yeah, he did get one foot in, but didn’t get the 2nd one down. It’s not like he was running toward the sideline, he’s going parallel. Not too difficult. As a WR your job is to get your feet in. Plain and simple.

Bowe failed. If Smith puts the ball in toward the field, Bowe won’t be able to catch it. It’s down the line.

BTW, congrats, Sandawg, on the Chargers victory in Cincy.

9. Irish Kevin said, on January 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Aubrey Huff announces retirement, accepts job with Pac-12 network,

10. zumiee said, on January 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I’m not into the last play of the season being that sideline stuff. It’s not very high percentage, in my opinion. The Niners made the same mistake last year in the Super Bowl. The last play was a jump ball at the endzone sideline. I realize somebody won a Super Bowl doing that a few years ago, but the receiver had to make one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm

The fade to Crabtree in the end zone last year was much different than the play that Smith/Bowe didn’t hook up on. Crabs’s’s’s was a very low %age play. The shot to Bowe was something that isn’t as high a risk. They HAD to gain a good chunk of yards to get the 1st down, and I’m siure the middle was clogged up.

They GOT the matchup (single coverage) that they were looking for. Smith did his part in getting the ball there. The rest was up to Bowe.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm

In the SB loss last year I could not believe SF did not run. Kap changes the play, what came in was different… whatever. The 49ers bread and butter has been smash mouth running for at least what 3 years now? They should of run at least once. That’s over and done though. I think if they can get past the Panthers that SF has a pretty clear path.

13. SanDawg said, on January 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I must confess to being a bit of Chiefs fan, so I was pretty down about Saturday’s game.
    Personally, I have nothing bad to say about Smith or Bowe regarding that game. They both played great and on that last play I wasn’t too down on Bowe for not getting his feet in. The coverage was there and it took a great throw and tough catch just to get the completion. If I have to point a finger, I’ll point it at the defense, but it ain’t easy keeping a guy like Luck under wraps all day. Sometimes, you’re in a great position and the other team rises up and beats your ass—like the Angels did to us in ’02.

Emotional sports day down here yesterday. Big win for the Chargers, great win for SDSU mens hoops, beating Kansas at their place and then (as Wilco noted) it came out that Jerry Coleman passed away.

14. SanDawg said, on January 6, 2014 at 2:14 pm

WSWin noted the Jerry Coleman passing, not Wilco…

Coleman was not my favorite announcer, but he came across as a super friendly and down to earth guy. There aren’t too many SD icons, but he was one of them. I’m sure they’ll do some sort of tribute day to him next year and Petco will be rocking big time for that.

• wswin said, on January 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm

“You can hang a star on that baby…whoa doctor!”

• snarkk said, on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm

“Oh Doctor!” was popularized much earlier by Red Barber, who used it his entire career, ending up with the Yanks. Coleman picked up on it when he was doing Yankee games with Barber in the ’60s…

15. SanDawg said, on January 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I’m not a big fan of the high arching floater into the corner of the end zone. It works sometimes and the Chargers did a beauty yesterday, but I prefer something over the middle where the QB just throws a dart right at his receiver. Smith threw one like that to Bowe on Saturday.

16. zumiee said, on January 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm

My wife has a highly varied list of favorite teams, but I can vouch that she has stayed with these teams for decades. Her NFL team is the Chargers, so she was quite thrilled with the result yesterday, and her favorite college football team is Florida St., so she’s revved up about tonight’s game. And I’ve already mentioned that her favorite baseball team is the Braves. We both tend to pull for the Warriors and Kings about evenly. Comcast blocks us out of the Warrior games, unfortunately, so we’re more King-centric lately.

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Yeah, that really stunk when we were over there, Zume. Now that we’re back here in the b-a, I’ve seen more dub games this year than the past 12.

17. Macdog said, on January 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm

There was another play in the Chiefs game that was a bit of a head-scratcher. On their next-to-last drive when they kicked a field goal to go up 44-38, the Chiefs had 3rd-and-11 at the Indy 30. Smith threw a short pass toward the left sideline to McCluster, who then ran out of bounds instead of turning upfield to try and get a first down. Maybe his momentum was taking him out of bounds, but it seemed like McCluster didn’t make much of an effort to stay in.

18. Bozo said, on January 7, 2014 at 7:46 am

I know some of you flappers are dealing with Dr Phil weather, so my temps won’t sound like much to y’all. But here in the Outer Banks it just got up to 18 degrees with a wind chill of 3 and that feels like fucking cold to me.

19. sportdude said, on January 7, 2014 at 8:24 am

@DirtRocks..
    Glad to see another LB state guy who saw the Jordan pushoff!
    Re SB…right on as well. We had been running the ball down Baltimore throats that whole drive. 1st play at the 5 HAS to be another run. I know we have benefit of hind-site, but the 1st drive vs GB the same. 3 lame rollout plays. Rodgers TD against us worked because the line man blocked straight up, while only Rodgers rolled right. SF rolls the whole line, they defense does too, and no one open.
    SB was awesome, and in the past, but those 3 pass plays worst clutch play calls ever!

• unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2014 at 9:01 am

The story was we were going to run but had to burn the time out. They changed the plays after that TO.

20. snarkk said, on January 7, 2014 at 10:23 am

This is cool.
    Bowman miked up in the Seattle game.
    I would not want to be tackled by this dude. At 2:05 into the vid, this guy shows how FAST he is.

Here’s Boone and the OL.
    That is some badaaass action in the trenches.

• zumiee said, on January 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

The cliche “modern day gladiators” gets used a lot, but it’s basically true. Those films give a good look at how these guys are gladiators. But it’s also true that they love what they’re doing. They are living their dream: getting paid to play the game they love- football.
      And another demonstration of how good NFL Films is at what they do, too.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Interesting article from some guy at SBNation. Revisionsist history, or whatever, some of this makes sense and has been rehashed, while it bogs down by the end, still he raises some valid points. Besides, anyone who quotes Harlan Ellison is OK in my book.

• snarkk said, on January 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Decent article, nothing we haven’t seen tossed around here, IMO. But, his point about Mantle has a little different angle to it than most, though not trying hard enough seems a bit of a stretch as a criticism of the Mick at this late date. If Mantle had the benefit of today’s modern knee surgery techniques and rehab methods, who knows what he would have done? I say take away the HOF voting from this BBWAA organization. It’s proven it cannot handle the responsibility. Maybe too many guys get into Canton, but I’d rather have that in the BBHOF than zero or one per year because of silly, hypocritical neanderthals that claim to know who used PEDs and who didn’t. Having a year where NOBODY gets into the HOF is just ludicrous, regardless of the supposed rationale…

22. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Yeah, the whole ‘They cheated to gain a disadvantage’ thing is beyond reason. The only thing really eye-opening, to me anyway, was the fact that Stengel was so openly pissed off at Mantle for pissing his talent away by partying. Not that lots of players didn’t do it, just that they took it so far as to really fuck themselves up. Throw in the fact he was getting speed injections, which led to the infection and all that . . .

23. Chipower9 said, on January 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Excellent little recap (sans the fucked-up background music). I think Clown is right (9:08) that Riot chose not to sign, as he wanted a starting gig. He said the lack of a starting job he would just as soon stay home (something to that effect). Damn…wish I could find the detailed video of the slide…Theriot comes up screaming…great stuff.

One of my favorite post-season moments too was at the 2:51 mark…Scoots puts away the pop-up from Holliday to seal the win while the rain pours down (this lead to the creation of the first “rain globe”).

• unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Both my daughters rushed the gates in the top of the 4th inning and got in free to that game.

I guess they were doing something like handing out bracelets to get into SRO and when the gates opened up the crowd all just pushed their way in.

Lucky brats!

24. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Seeing as the playoffs are in full swing, and football is in the air, check out this article regarding one Robert Griffin the Third.

• snarkk said, on January 7, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Skins seem to be interviewing anybody who ever blew a whistle in a football practice for the HC position. That org is a disaster. I wouldn’t get near it, were I a coach with any upside. It could be a career killer…

25. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Kings destroying the Trailblazers. Great game.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers