Panda Lost Weight. Again.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 10, 2014

I’ve been watching the Panda fit-pics making the rounds on Twitter. Good for him. Here’s what he looks like today (well, a few days ago):

pandamoney

Here’s what he looked like before:

pandamoney2

Well, it’s nice to see that he’s done what we all knew he was going to do: get in shape for money. I’m excited because it means our 2014 offense gets a boost. Of course, it would  have been nice to get a  boost last year. But whatever, let’s just stay in the positive and hope for the best. And by *hope for the best* I mean if Sabean gives this guy a 5 year 100 mil deal in the Spring, I’ll puke. He’s gonna get fat again. Book it.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on January 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Panda looks like he needs to put on some weight.

“Go out yonder, peace in the valley
    Come downtown, have to rumble in the alley
    Oh, you don’t know the shape I’m in”

2. snarkk said, on January 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Weight clause. It can be / has been done.

• Flavor said, on January 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm

fantastic. Didn’t know the union went for that. I would be all-in on a clause like this, and I’m assuming any Giant fan would be…..

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:20 pm

If the Giants resign him, giddy up on having a similar clause in Pablo’s contract.

3. Nipper said, on January 10, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Yeah he’s going to get fat again. I’m struggling with my weight so I can sympathize a bit. You would think money would be a powerful incentive to keep it off. A long term contract demands a weight clause for sure.

4. Bozo said, on January 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Y’all can talk about his weight if ya want, me, I’m concerned about the extra finger he’s growing.

5. sportdude said, on January 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Keeping Piazza out of the hall makes it a joke. I agree with Craig about the character crap, but at least the is some evidence against the big name players like Clemons Bonds etc.None against piazza that i have heard of..
    Panda looks good! I’m optimistic about the offense. You can make a case that every position player but belt and Pence underperformed last year.
    Same for Cain…

6. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

That’s a weird picture. It looks like he’s holding someone else’s fingers

7. John said, on January 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm

It looks like the guy next to him is reaching around his back and locking fingers with him. It looks really odd.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:01 am

If you look at the picture closely, it doesn’t look odd at all. It’s just difficult to see his entire arm at a casual glance. It’s all clearly there at a closer look. Conservatively there might be a couple million odd looking photos.Trust me- there is nobody behind Panda, they are his fingers, belly, ears, nose, thighs… it might be spray on hair, though.

8. James said, on January 10, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I just hope he doesn’t go overboard like this guy:

9. paulinasia said, on January 11, 2014 at 1:46 am

Dodgers have implied they will not be outbid for Tanaka. I don’t know…. remember when the commissioner stopped that trade of Joe Rudi, et al, to the Red Sox? I can’t even remember the exact reason anymore, but if ever there was a case of the commissioner’s office doing something like that in “fairness” or “parity” or whatever, this would be it. I mean, adding Tanaka to that already stellar rotation? It’s insane. Would love to see the Giants’ ownership snatch Tanaka out of the Dogs’ greedy grasp…. Odds that G’s owners would do that.. pretty slim, but it would be sweet.

10. DJLoo said, on January 11, 2014 at 6:10 am

I suspect this picture was Fatoshopped.

11. Bozo said, on January 11, 2014 at 7:33 am

I’m thinking the Giants should take a flyer on Wells for the bench.

12. willedav said, on January 11, 2014 at 8:28 am

Weight clause…OK, tell me what his optimal weight is? What is he not allowed to go above before being sentenced to terminal cardio work under supervision of some triathlon guy?
    Seriously, at what weight has Sando played his best baseball in the past–those 2 years he hit .300 or better? Any blogger here know?
    I’ve asked this type of question before and the only response has been, “he’s too fat and he sucks.” Which given all the other esoteric saber geek analysis stuff I read here, seems pretty unscientific to me.
    There’s a Flap poll waiting to happen–what should Sandoval be required to weigh in at?

• Flavor said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:17 am

20 pounds less than whatever his high was last year should do the trick. That still gives him some *pudding* room. Right now he’s probably around 40-50 pounds lighter than he was last year, if that pic isn’t altered at all. And again, a weight clause just keeps him from completely falling apart. It doesn’t keep him in optimum shape. And as he gets older, this will be critical to his success. I don’t give a fuck what he weighed when he was 23 or whatever. As he enters his 30′s I want that weight controlled.

• willedav said, on January 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Fair enough. I just don’t think un-professionally trained bloggers from the viewpoint of the couch/sports bar are sufficiently qualified to give an opinion more expert than Giants training staff and Groesch. They know where they want him to be and how best to get (and hopefully keep) him there, wherever *there* is.
        And I think * baseball shape* is way way different from other major sports, esp for a 3b.

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Any player is an investment for a team. If the team wants him at a specific weight (and they are paying him millions), then they should have the right to put a weight clause in the contract. I don’t know the weight the trainers want him at, but regardless, it is a proven fact that being overweight affects your joints, it’s tough on the ticker, etc. So while I don’t know the optimum weight…it needs to be a whole hell of a lot less than it was last year.

13. snarkk said, on January 11, 2014 at 8:54 am

I’m out for a while. Got the friggin’ flu. My chest sounds like somebody’s crinkling saltines in there.
    Do yourself a favor. Get the flu shot. Now. You do not want this shit. I’m on the albuturol inhaler, and hot tea and chicken soup IVs. Later…

• Flavor said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:15 am

that sucks. I did get the flu shot but only because they were giving them out at my work.

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:27 am

Sick as a dog today with a cold (?), although I got the flu shot. Regardless, I blame snarkk for coming in this virtual room and spreading his germs. ;-)

14. Flavor said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:14 am

A-Rod’s ban reduced to 162. that’s too bad, I had hoped he was gonna get all his money. Now Yankees will probably sign Tanaka?

• Macdog said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’m thinking — and perhaps hoping, given the Dodgers’ possible interest in Tanaka — the same thing, too.

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2014 at 9:43 am

Yeah, bummed about this. I wanted the Yankees to pay the luxury tax and have them fume while ARod’s career continues to slide steadily downward without benefit of his ass injection shots. They still might have to pay that luxury tax if Tanaka san is signed.

I may be the lone ranger here, but I would like to see the Dodgers sign him – Their epic fail next season will be that much sweeter! I don’t believe any of that “back of the baseball card” crap about their players. We all seem to forget that the GMen ruled the division (best record against all of them) last season. Now we need to play as well against the Cubs, Cards, etc.

15. stixwiz said, on January 11, 2014 at 10:19 am

First thought: That’s Panda? Sober second thought: Maybe a cousin? Consideration three: Maybe there is an optimal ideal weight for the dude, somewhere betwixt the Pillsbury Doughboy and the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. If that is him, he’s closer to the latter right now. There must be some sports medicine studies on ideal weight per body type.

Frankly, my dears, i’m more concerned about Pablo seeing the ball (which often did not seem to be the case last season) than his perfect balance between blubber and clobber. Yet to be convinced that his eye-surgery was all to the positive. If Panda perceives that pill he will revert to being a force of nature and the Giants offense could go for he gold.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2014 at 10:40 am

Do you have the laptop I sent you going yet?

16. James said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:13 am

Still think we are probably short a starting pitcher. For any educated guess, there’s simply too much evidence on the back of the baseball cards to ignore. OTOH, I remember feeling similarly about the team heading into 2010 — that somehow we were a player short of playoff contention, although back then it was the offense with the bigger question marks.

I enjoyed BF’s rant a few threads ago about eliminating personality and sticking to the numbers when voting for the HOF. Sounds like a great way to think about active players, too :-)

Let’s Roll another Number!

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:26 am

If everything goes how we hope, we have two #1′s, a #2, #3, and #4.
      If everything goes as it did last year, we have one #1, one #3, two #4s, and one #8.
      My guess: one #1, one #2, two #4′s, and a whole bunch of #6′s
      James is right- they needed to get another starting pitcher. A legit 2 or co-ace.

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Agree…I was calling for another arm even after they signed Hudson (well, someone beside Vogey…someone who is a true 2)…

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm

That song is fucking hilarious…

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yo Big Flav, I drove my Saturn Vue around Los Altos today. Pretty sure we brought down property values. Sorry about that.

• Flavor said, on January 11, 2014 at 3:10 pm

that was you? Neighborhood Watch was all over your ass. :)

• sandy32koufax said, on January 11, 2014 at 3:59 pm

No wonder I got pulled over driving home from work in my prime green ’73 Nova back in the ’80′s. I always believed it was ‘auto-profiling”…

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I’d like to say that God played a big part in me quitting drinking and drugging on September 26th, 1986, but in reality, the epiphany (or catalyst) was the Los Altos Police Department. ;-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Can’t say I haven’t been there!!

18. chipower9 said, on January 11, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Hey John – I saw where the Carolinas (well, at least North Carolina) was getting hammered with some fucked-up weather. You okay out there?

• Bozo said, on January 12, 2014 at 6:00 am

Yeah, we’re OK, thanks for asking. Some severe thunderstorms just kind of swooped in on us with some crazy ass winds. I was taking the Christmas tree out and it was like a firehose got turned on me, it didn’t just come down, it came in sideways hard. I was soaked in seconds. Been a strange week of weather for us, from being in the teens and frozen pipes to being in the 60s with tornado warnings, and at the moment looking like a day that ya could Q (if you don’t mind standing in puddles). Whatever, I won’t be going over to Charlotte but to my favorite Nags Head sports bar, The Lucky Twelve Tavern, where I expect to take a lot of shit during the game. Go Niners.

• blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:05 am

Glad you’re all right John. How’s the “stop smoking” deal going? Hope you are hanging in there.

• Bozo said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:08 am

Haven’t had one since June 10th. I’ve put on 20lbs since quitting so now I’ve got to deal with that.

• blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:29 am

Well, better that than the alternative. Good job Clown – hardest addiction to kick IMO.

• unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:45 am

I know they are kinda gross, but sunflower seeds got me off cigarettes. I never like gum much, but the seeds helped a lot. And, they are kinda baseball related! Funny thing is, cigarettes still smell good when I happen upon someone having a smoke, say, 3 miles away.

Good luck with that. It does get easier with time. I tried about 6 times to seriously quit, and it took a bet to make it stick. A guy I know bet me $1,000, on Dec 31st 1998, that I couldn’t quit smoking for a year. I took the bet. I had 1 smoke in my pack, so I smoked it at 1:30 am Jan 1, 1999 on the porch in San Carlos. Technically I lost the bet, but that was the last one. Just hit the 15 year mark after smoking for 21+ years. Course, the guy moved away and never paid me but all worked out.

• James said, on January 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

While in the heart of the beast, too:

19. blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:16 am

If we are bringing back Dontrelle Willis for a tryout, why not Jason Bay (who is contemplating retirement or Japan) and Chone Figgins, who is working out for potentially interested teams this week. Shit, nothing to lose by working all these stiffs out . . . Who knows? Something might “stick to the wall.”

20. zumiee said, on January 12, 2014 at 9:19 am

If Sandoval has a terrific season, and the Giants don’t get him re-signed during the season, he’s going to be a major prize in the free agent market. The Yankees will probably be needing a thirdbaseman, and maybe the Dodgers, too, and so on. It’d be bizarre seeing other teams marketing Panda hats.
    —–
    I have this “thing” about the Patriots getting away with cheating, and I kid you not, I watched about 10 minutes of their game yesterday, and saw the Patriots throw down an intended Colts receiver 15 yards past the scrimmage line, and a Patriots defensive player “tackle” Luck by tripping him, as Luck was about to run for a first down at a crucial moment in the game. Of course, the officials somehow didn’t see either infraction, even though everyone else in the nation did.
    —–
    The MLB Network is “all A-Rod” this morning. Yawn…………….

• Nipper said, on January 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Yeah he’s yesterday’s news. He’s finished except he’ll get paid after his suspension for one year.

21. willedav said, on January 12, 2014 at 10:03 am

Local entertainment rag *Metro* had an excerpt from ex-Niner (briefly) Nate Jackson’s new book, “Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile”. Interview with him was great and so was the excerpt about him going to tryouts, being encouraged by Walsh and signing contract with SF. Should be a *good read* I bet.

22. willedav said, on January 12, 2014 at 10:11 am

I quit tobacco 30 years ago. Was up to pack a day (even before playing pick up b-ball games with friends), this when they were $1.50 a pack. I had just changed jobs into present one and wasn’t in good eco situation. Figured the $500 plus a year I was spending on those things could be put to better use… toughest thing were the *auto* ones–with first cup of coffee, after a meal, on break at work, etc.
    Good luck Bozo–get out and take a long walk whenever/often as possible.
    Might want to wear something over the Niner’s gear, tho.

• willedav said, on January 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Or not, my man if that’s how clown rolls, gear and all.

23. Bozo said, on January 12, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Ha, surrounded by (new?) Panther fans we had a ball. Some shit talking but no brawls. Good times, found out everyone seems to hate Seattle. Ha fucking ha, bring those cheating fucks on.

24. James E Sullivan said, on January 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm

he looks good, but he is in a kitchen, no??

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers