Football Taking the Place of Haiku’s and I’m Loving It!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 12, 2014

And so it has come to this. Back to Seattle. For the life of me I can’t figger out why all new stadiums don’t get built the way they built CenturyLink Field. Why WOULDN’T you want to maximize home crowd noise? Another topic for another time….

I don’t have a problem with end zone celebrations, never did. I enjoy them. TO whipping out a sharpie and signing autographs was one of my all time favorites. And I loved the Price Fielder bowling pin thing (though only in hindsight). Having said that, the constant shit-talking going on in NFL games these days has gotten old, fast. There’s just way too much “my dick is bigger than yours” going on and it’s disrupting the game.

Now, take a quick time out and compare that to baseball players who decide to throw down if you flip your bat a couple of feet too far or if you admire a home run for a nano second too long. I’m trying to imagine what it would look like if I celebrated winning a big pot at the El Dorado the same way football players talk sh!t to each other these days. “What now bitches!” And then I go over the top and chest bump the pit boss out of the poker room and into the video poker machines outside. My bad.

There has to be a middle ground, right? I mean, they’re all professional players getting paid to play a game. And yet there’s never been a wider chasm between the two sports in terms of how players communicate with each other between the lines…..

I’m secretly happy we’re going back up to Seattle. The way Navarro Bowman put the Stick to sleep was a way better burn out than a fade away. I didn’t want to see another game get played there. Plus, we now get to go into Seattle and break their faces. I’m not sure or confident that the Niners win that game. I think they will. Or could. But the sheer drama and energy that will pulsate through that stadium is almost too much too consider.

Manning vs Brady in the AFC championship. Niners head back to Seattle for the NFC championship. It has never been this good on both sides of the conferences with 2 games to go before the Super Bowl. Seriously, name another year that was this epic. I can’t wait for next weekend.

About these ads

1. SanDawg said, on January 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I totally agree it is a great Final 4. Brady and Peyton on one side, Harbaugh and Pete on the other. I was really hoping for a last big game at Candlestick, but Seattle earned home field, so here we go. I didn’t watch either game today. Played some tennis in the am and followed both games on the radio while I got shit done. Next week I’ll be glued to the set for both games. I kinda like Brady, so I’m hoping for Pats/Niners.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Tennis? that’s old school. Haven’t played tennis in 20 years. Side note marginally related: (with a qualifier): I’m pretty ambidrextrous, I switch hit in baseball, I can kick a ball the same left or right footed, etc. But I always played ping pong with my left hand (same hand I write with). Anyway, I developed some pretty sick tendinitis in my left wrist last year and it was killing me playing ping pong. So I started playing right handed. I am a significantly better ping pong player right handed. And I never knew. #coolthingtofindoutinmy40’s

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:27 pm

We lefties are special.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Niners! (Shoutout from the East Coast.)

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Seeing you celebrate that way after a huge win at El Dorado would be pretty awesome. I am going to guess that it wouldn’t end well though. Probably something similar to the Benny Blanco stair scene in Carlito’s Way. He did get his revenge in the end so there is that.

One thing I have noticed this year more than previous years is the number of defensive players carted off with injuries induced by their own teammates. Especially in the secondary. These guys are so wrapped up in the big hit they don’t even know who they’re hitting.

Anyway, I am stoked on the remaining games. I’m thinking Denver v SF part deux. Same 49er victory of course.

4. DJLoo said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Teachers here used to force left-handed children to write with their right hand.
    This was a very long time ago.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Not too long ago. It happened to my step brother. He’s a dumb ass though so he probably didn’t know what they meant.

5. Bozo said, on January 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm

So Seattle is not excepting ticket requests from CA? That is pretty fucked up. I piss in the Seahawks general direction.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm

they must fear my idea below.

• Bozo said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Take that idea of yours but first, get all those guys to begin start-up dental floss companies in Montana and then buy the tickets.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:50 pm

lol. I’ll forward this idea to Larry Ellison and see what he and his buddies come up with.

• Chipower9 said, on January 13, 2014 at 8:15 am

John – was that a Zappa reference? (I might be movin’ to Montana soon. Just to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss. Raisin’ it up. Waxen it down. In a little white box. I can sell uptown.)

6. Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm

A fantastic idea: Get a group of extremely wealthy Silicon Valley Niner fans and have them buy up every ticket available this week. Maybe they get 10-15K? Fucking burn them all. And see how that stadium sounds 80% full. It’s a dream, I know.

7. zumiee said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:21 pm

BF wrote: “The way Navarro Bowman put the Stick to sleep was a way better burn out than a fade away.”

Ah, my Neil Young-lovin’ heart digs that. :)

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

thanks. I liked that too. When I wrote that I said, “that’s rad” and I appreciate you noticing it. Hey, anyone know how many times Manning and Brady have faced off? What’s their record vs each other? I’m assuming Brady is winning the playoff record LQTM

• zumiee said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:27 pm

And Peyton’s been doing a slow burn about it over the years. Manning’s always been over-hyped and, in a sense, over-rated, and maybe deep down he kind of knows that Brady is better than him.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:47 pm

well, he won today and that’s something he doesn’t do that often in the playoffs. I was wrong about him, I said he was broken and done coming off all those surgeries. No outcome will surprise me this weekend. Peyton has significantly better weapons on offense, he better use them or he’ll catch a lot of shit for a loss….

8. snarkk said, on January 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I’m still on my inhaler, but at least my lungs have stopped crackling so much. Definitely on the slow mend from this friggin flu. The Niner win gave me a boost. Kap wasn’t wowing today, but he got enough done to get it done, and the D was it’s usual top drawer self. I can’t figure out why Seattle fans are so PO’d at the Niners and Niner fans. The blogs are full of Seattle dbag fans. They’ve got a major inferiority complex going, looks like. I don’t think the feeling is reciprocated by Niner fans — we’ve got the Lombardi hardware. Does a Husky on the Iditarod hate the scraggly bush he lifts his leg on…?

• James said, on January 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Someone may have said this before, but the Niners are to Seahawks as the Dodgers are to the Giants when it comes to the fans’ perception of the “rivalry.”

9. chipower9 said, on January 13, 2014 at 8:32 am

I think with football being such a more physical sport, that the athletes use this to try and pump themselves up for battle.

Also, Pete Carroll has always use the tactic to have his players talk smack in hopes of getting into the opposition’s head (he did the same shit at University of Spoiled Children).

I don’t have a problem with the celebrations or smack-talk. The celebrations are a bit dramatic at times. I have always liked the players who simply put the ball down and felt like they had no need to thump their chests (Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, etc.).

I think it will be KEY for the Niners to NOT buy into the smack talking by the SeaChicks. They need to focus on their game plan and execute. They did a pretty good job of this against Carolina (although they did get away with the minor head bump by Boldin. He always plays with a lot of emotion, and can jaw with the best of them, but he needs to make sure that in doing so that he doesn’t cost his team (dumbass penalty, etc.).

I think it is going to be a war. And I am not saying this because I am a Niner fan, but I truly think the Niners are a better team right now (they are playing better ball at this time). But, to go into thier house and win will be tough.

I think the Niners can do it, but they have to execute in all phases of the game. I think this game will come down to the intangibles (special teams, who makes fewer mistakes, etc.).

Pulling for Brady just because of his local roots (San Mateo and high school ball at Serra High).

BTW – Brady and Manning have met 14 times. Brady has won 10 of those meetings (2-1 in the playoffs).

10. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2014 at 8:40 am

Brady is 5-4 vs Manning. Brady has won 3 of the last 4.

Yeah, Seattle wants to do what we just did to Carolina. And that’s try to goad us into stupid penalties. The noise will be a factor, but not as bad as before. The last time we played them up there it was 5-0 at the half and 12-3 to start the 4th quarter. The game got away at the end with turnovers.

If we play a clean game, we can win. Wilson has been totally leaning on Marshawn Lynch for offense.

• chipower9 said, on January 13, 2014 at 10:28 am

Actually, Brady is 10-4 against Manning. And as I stated earlier, he is 2-1 against him in the playoffs.

11. willedav said, on January 13, 2014 at 8:44 am

Niners fans do have superior past record, whereas Seahawks are more new kids on the block since Carroll arrived. They’ve had what Sea has always wanted. Kind of funny UW fans would embrace that guy after all those years at USC. Again maybe the hatred toward SC precludes anyone from here having anything good to say about Carroll, esp considering the circumstances around his departure.
    Harbs too seems to be universally hated outside of Niners fans. His sideline histrionics really are a hoot, including of course running onto the field on the Davis TD. And he has said derogatory stuff about Sherman etc.; Harbs and Carroll go way back too.
    No way to stop the thuggery and celebration stuff, which is BS to me. Boldin, whom I’ve always dug as a player, almost cost his team with the head butt yesterday, and you know he’ll rub it in Sherman’s face too every time he makes a catch. Refs will have an interesting time of it next week, since both sides will be into it. Hopefully no more golden tate highlights.

12. willedav said, on January 13, 2014 at 8:56 am

Speaking of Boldin, how could the Ravens let this guy walk? I think it is a testament to Harbs and FO (despite draft glitches) that SF has gotten back to this position when so many others from last year have not. Ravens, like Steelers, couldn’t even get in, nor could Atlanta–the team that had the great comeback vs. sea last year to reach champ game.
    Teams like Giants and Saints, past SB winners, aren’t playing anymore either. Regardless of how teams change, Manning (from Indy days) and Brady seem to be able to get the job done. Remarkable competitors.

• Bozo said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:26 am

I thought the Ravens traded Boldin to us for a sixth round pick, which I guess is the same as letting him walk, maybe worse.

13. Bozo said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:29 am

The thing about the Seahawks that really pisses me off is they commit so many fouls that the refs get tired of calling them.

• zumiee said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

I have a theory about why so few penalties get called against the Patriots. I think the refs want Brady to think they’re really cool, so maybe he’ll take them out clubbing at some point, and they’ll get to hang with him.

14. zumiee said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:30 am

The Seattle fans are pleased with themselves regarding how much noise they make, when clearly the loudness is greatly enhanced by the shape of the stadium. The stadium is shaped like the football field itself, which is great for football but what else is the stadium good for? They already have a far superior outdoor concert venue in the area; the Gorge at George. So the football stadium is an awesome venue for 8 homegames and possibly 2 or3 playoff games each season. And sits there like an urban atrocity for the whole rest of the year.

• zumiee said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:32 am

Maybe there’s a whole Monster Truck audience in the Seattle area that I’m not aware of.

• chipower9 said, on January 13, 2014 at 10:16 am

Ha! I was just thinking monster trucks or motocross events. I’ve never been a big fan of stadium concerts (except perhaps some of the Day on the Green shows…).

• salty said, on January 13, 2014 at 11:00 am

Seattle pro soccer team plays their games there.
        Big boat RV shows…and of course the Seattle dog kennel show. :)

15. salty said, on January 13, 2014 at 10:58 am

I think the crowd thing has played out. SF showed great poise the last two weeks so going up there shouldn’t be that much a factor. Avoid injuries and turnovers, they win this.

16. Giant Head said, on January 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

The best thing is taking the 3.5 points and going pure ML for the Niner Victory! about a 70% increase in payout!!!!

17. chipower9 said, on January 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Here’s the list of the non-roster invitees to the Giant’s ST camp…

18. blade3colorado said, on January 13, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I just read a CNN article, where this old guy has been charged with fatally shooting a man during an argument over cellphone use at a Florida theater. Apparently, it escalated when the other dude (who was texting on his cell phone) threw popcorn at the old guy.

Lesson? Don’t bring popcorn to a gun fight. ;-)

• salty said, on January 13, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Were they watching ‘lone survivor’ per chance?

• blade3colorado said, on January 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Umm, I think so Salty. How appropriate.

19. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

The Seahawks have a better QB than Carolina and a much better running game.Also the best passing defense in the league.And the insane asylum that is their homefield .Win this and I would consider it the best game in Harbaugh’s tenure. If they won it 3 to 0, I’d still consider it to be the biggest win. I am really looking forward to it. 24-21 Niners.

20. chipower9 said, on January 14, 2014 at 7:14 am

Agree on all your points about Seattle, Twin. While Seattle has the best pass defense, the Niners are better against the run (statistically, anyway). Certainly better than New Orleans. I think one of the big keys to the game will be containing Lynch as best they can (Niners cannot let him go off for 140 as he did against the Saints).

I also think that based on the past couple of games, that Kaepernick is playing better than Wilson. But with that said, the Niners need to keep tabs on Wilson, too.

Should be an epic game. I think the Niners are playing better football now, and like you Michael, I think the Niners win a close one.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2014 at 9:04 am

Everyone talks like John did Jim Harbaugh a solid by letting Boldin go for a 6th round pick, but the reality was, the Ravens were trying to sign Flacco and needed to dump salary. They couldn’t afford to sign Boldin to a multi-year deal and throw gobs of manoey at Flacco, which they ended up doing.

And, they wouldn’t likely have gotten much more from anyone else for him.

And, yeah you are right Chuck. Brady’s 10-4 vs Manning. I didn’t think 5-4 sounded right . . .

22. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2014 at 9:11 am

That being said, Twin, Carolina’s D line is better than Seattle’s and NO proved that you can run on Seattle’s front 7. As did TB and St. Louis. The trick is to get ahead of them and then run.

Russell Wilson’s numbers lately have been very pedestrian and they have toitally leaned on Marshawn Lynch to win games. They get the lead and then go into pound mode. NO’s only mistake was the early fumble. They coiuldn’t recover from that. Until they almost did. Marcus Colston really screewed up as NO had time for 2 plays from the 35.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Well, I picked the Niners to win a tight one. I guess you’re going with a Niner rout based on your comments.Hope that’s how it goes.

23. chipower9 said, on January 14, 2014 at 10:33 am

In addition to what I percieve as keys to the game (shared earlier), there is the standard “take care of the ball.” Yeah, it is cliche, but when you have two teams as evenly matched as these, and playing in their house, it truly is huge. Also, the Niners need to do as they did in Carolina (more or less) and that is to not let the other team get into their head, and to focus and execute.

Niners win in a close one…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 488 other followers