Kershaw Gets Paid

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 15, 2014

First reaction to the 7 year/215 mil Kershaw deal: I’m not really sweatin’ the Rowand deal anymore. Or the Zito deal (though, in the end, that one was worth it to me).

I’ll give the Dodgers credit for one thing: at least they aren’t doling out a stupid-mega deal like this to a guy who’s turning 32 (see: the Angles). This deal is OVER when he’s 32. So at least they will get the best years of his arm over the course of the deal. Unless he gets hurt. Which is a definitely possibility. He’s already tossed 1,180 innings at the big league level. And he probably tossed double that in his years before MLB. And getting hurt is what pitchers do best. So…..whatever, he’ll probably be fine.

This deal isn’t news, at least in the way it affects the Giants. This is a player the Dodgers already had and there was no indication he was ever going to leave. The Art Dealers didn’t get better with this move.

It’s time to give Sabean some credit. With each passing stupid mega deal that gets signed I appreciate more and more how he puts together contracts. He gets ahead of the market because he knows where it’s going and because of that he doesn’t have to throw out the mega deals anymore. Anyone think Pence could have gotten more money somewhere else? Hell yes he could have, especially after seeing what Ellsbury and Choo got. Timmy got 2 years/35 mil and I guarantee you he could have gotten more if he’d waited. At least in number of years. And Morse? That was a brilliant signing.

Kyle Crick better be the real deal once he gets out of A-ball or we are in line for a LOOOOONG string of years of losing the NL West….

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 5:25 pm

When you read the lists of top Giant prospects Oracle provided in the last thread, they’re all pitchers except Susac and a 3bman, strangely no mention of Mac Williamson that I saw. As usual, the Giants have no top position talent, or even likely utility-level MLB position talent, in the foreseeable pipeline. So, get ready for a bunch of these pitchers to get weeded out and traded the next few years in exchange for position talent. Crick and a coupla those pitchers better pan out for 2015, else BF is right, we’re hosed. With no position options, looks like Panda will get his Mega deal now that he’s decided to drop weight for a payday, unless he balloons again before Sabes pulls the trigger. IMO it’s more than early to call the Morse signing “brilliant”. It will be if he has a 2014 season like 2011, but I’d like to see him play at least one ST game before we send Sabes to the Land of Brilliance for this stab at outfield improvement…

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Susac, Williamson, Panik, Arroyo have all been on one or more Top Ten lists. We are pitching heavy, obviously. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Well, gotta hit and run. See ya.

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Crick is the only Giant minor leaguer I’ve seen regularly in the top 100 rankings of all MLB prospects. That’s discouraging. Who is in the Top 10 in a minor league organization that’s constantly dissed by multiple media observers as low in talent is good to know, but not particularly hope inducing when only one of the 10 is in the top 100 of all prospects…

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm

don’t forget the guys we have who are already here. They mean a lot more than the A-Ballers: Panda, Crawford, Belt, Timmy. Cain, Bumgarner, Romo….these were all home grown hits and they are producing at the level we care about the most.

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I’m not forgetting them, but they’re old news, and getting older. IMO you need a steady pipeline of a coupla prospects ready to come up every year and ready to take somebody’s job. Looks like Hembree is it for this year in that role. Maybe there will be another pitcher that will surprise and be up my mid season (Derek Law?). Not happening for any position player…

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Most, if not all , 2014 top 100 are not out yet. Baseball America says SEVEN of our under 25 minor league pitchers “project to stick in a major-league rotation in the future”.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:15 pm

well, most of them are being reasonably compensated which will allow Sabes some flexibility in signing FA’s in the near future. The payroll will have to continue to rise if we are going to keep up with the ‘Dealers. All those home grown guys aren’t “old news”, they’re going to allow us to sign more players.

2. Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:22 pm

and Snarkk, I’m with you on the pipeline thing. It’s just not going to happen. We draft position players, 98% don’t make the big league club. I don’t know why. Maybe Sabean and Tidrow (and their staff) don’t know how to draft/develop anything but pitchers. Shit, if that’s truly the case I’d rather they just STOP DRAFTING position players. Draft nothing but pitchers and sign the *Blanco’s*, the “Morse’s*, the “Pagan’s” as you go along each off season. Or trade for them with the bounty of young pitching that the league always covets. Either way, it does appear that the misses are sure to continue with our position players who are drafted by Sabean

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:33 pm

It’s obvious as long as Sabean is leading this organization, the drafting will always be ultra topheavy on pitchers. The crazy prices for even dogmeat MLB pitching will only serve to make Sabean more inflexible on this approach. I can only hope that the Giants increase their use of the international market to sign and develop position players. To me, relying on hunting and pecking every offseason and midseason to fill position holes is a recipe for a stretch of fair to bad seasons if the pitching hits a rough patch, as there’s no margin for pitching error…

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:32 am

I do not see the Giants MO changing significantly on who/how they draft. It seems pretty apparent (since Evans, Tidrow, and Sabes have been running the show for so long) that some semblance of this philosophy will continue. And if that is truly their strenght, then I agree with Craig…run with it.

Believe me, I would love to see the Giants develop a couple (hell, even one) kick ass OFer, but as I said, with Sabes and crew running the show, I won’t hold my breath. It is what it is, and it hasn’t been a terrible method.

I sure as hell would not jettison Evans, Tidrow and Sabes just to make a change on how the club drafts and develops players.

3. Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm

And then there’s this: Madison Bumgarner’s cute lil’ 6 year/35 mil deal kicks in starting next season. Think about the difference of those 2 deals for 2 of the dominant young lefty’s in the NL…..mind boggling

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm

As I’ve said before, Sabes pulled one over on Bubba or whoever MadBum’s agent is/was. I hope he doesn’t get PO’d about it over the years to the point it impacts his play…

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

It won’t. If there’s one guy who is stand up enough and country enough to play out the deal he signed it’s Bumgarner……

• Celeste Johnston said, on January 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

He signed the deal he wanted to sign. I do not believe the Giants hoodwinked him. That is to do a discredit to MadBum and to paint him as a bumpkin. I have never gotten that impression from him.

4. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

As per Baseball America, the Cal League is the toughest league to pitch in all of the minors and they named ALL FIVE of the SJ starting pitchers in their top 20 Cal League prospects. That’s nothing to sneeze at.

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

5 starting pitchers have an ETA of 2015 as per BP. That could very well mean a huge logjam which is a GREAT thing. Just as it’s early to get too excited about these kids, it’s early to be cynical about how this crop will turn out. Every rating site is ga-ga over our young pitching- easily our best crop ever. The sheer volume should lead to trades for good position players.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm

well, we’ll see if Sabes has the sack to trade young pitching that’s actually any good. He’s a master at trading the young pitching that ISN’T any good that others think is good. Or at least he WAS the master at that. I now think that there is such a disparity between how Sabean values his pitching and what others will give him for it that he will NEVER AGAIN be able to pull off an “Alderson” trade.

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Unless the ranking sites are dead wrong, Sabes is going to have to do something about these young arms unless he wants an 8 man rotation, But you’re right- well see what he does with good talent.

5. snarkk said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Gnight dudes, back to the grim prospects of reading/listenting re: the infinite break downs of the Seattle/Niner game…

• gianthead said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

And the arrival of gunner extraordinaire Jordan Crawford….

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

fantastic pick up, for free. Love it.

• SanDawg said, on January 15, 2014 at 9:35 pm

..who once threw down a sick 2 handed jam on LeBron when he was in high school, if I’m not mistaken.

• unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Hah! Yeah, that was the one that Nike tried to erase all the copies of the people who caught it with their cell phones.

6. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Well, I’ve definitely over stayed my welcome, but you guys should take the time to read some of the “raters” talking about our prospects. Book this- our system will rate much higher than 2013 when the 2014 farm system rankings come out. The future is bright with the position talent here and the upcoming wave of top young pitchers.
    Night all.

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:45 am

Mike, I’ve only given your new prospects post a cursory view, but based upon what I already know, I have to side with you about our prospects, especially what you said about position talent above, i.e., “The future is bright with the position talent here and the upcoming wave of top young pitchers.”

Snarkk, I love ya to death – you’re usually the smartest guy in the room – but I think you are dead wrong about Sabean and the Giants farm system. I won’t go over the minutia of Sabean’s excellent record here since he joined the team in the late 90′s; nor the Giants “proof in the pudding” record in this millennium, except to say – we didn’t participate in 3 World Series and have 2 wins because of Sabean excusing himself from Giants games in the 7th inning, so he could go bang his secretary in the GM executive washroom.

7. SanDawg said, on January 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Hey Twin—just checked out your blog. Good stuff! Is that pic from ’72 of a fellow with the hair colored yellow kicking it in a canoe with a joint in his mouth you???

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm

That’s me. Heading off into the Boundary Waters. At that time, one of the most beautiful, unspoiled regions in the world. Merna and I were married that year. We spent a week in the BW and it was a week to remember forever. We settled on an island, I fished, Merna painted. Some days we barely spoke, there was no need to.

8. willedav said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:55 am

Yes it’s unfortunate SF doesn’t currently have more position players ready to step in at mlb level, but few years ago they did draft Posey, who soon became MVP of the league. These things go in cycles for every team and sometimes prospects just don’t work out as they climb the ladder, esp when they reach the top. For all their alleged wizardry, neither Beane nor Colletti have much home grown talent among their teams position players either. Like Sabes they have made good acquisitions to fill the holes, tho sometimes they need to keep dealing to plug them all.
    I would also say that young and controllable pitching is single most valuable commodity to have these days as a trade chip.

• Nipper said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:34 am

Sabean keeps telling us that.

9. chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:56 am

Clown – thanks for the link on Flannery on the last thread. Great read. I have a number of his CDs…good stuff. I was surprised to read the bit about Jerry Jeff Walker (knew he had a part on the latest CD). I was listening to JJW and Ray Wylie Hubbard back in the 70s when they were virtually unknown outside of Austin.

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2014 at 9:23 am

I read something awhile back where Flan said a friend introduced him to Jerry Jeff last year. I guess they got together with the wives and hit it off over wine and dinner.
      The first time that I saw Jerry Jeff was back in the early 70s, he was playing with The Lost Gonzo band and he was wasted. I think he lasted about five songs before they got him off the stage, it didn’t matter to me, I was hooked. I think his big Texas bash is sometime this month or next, he also does a big bash at his place in Belize, I’d love to go to that one.

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2014 at 9:33 am

Dollars to donuts, it is in Ambergris Caye, one of the best places for SCUBA diving IMO. Twin probably knows who this eccentric maniac is . . . Dude was a multi-million dollar software genius, then pissed it all away (also alleged to have murdered his neighbor in Belize). This video he made is hilarious . . .

• Bozo said, on January 16, 2014 at 10:05 am

It is in Ambergris Caye, here’s a link to his house which you can also rent during the year. http://www.jerryjeff.com/casagonzo/

Blade I remember that story about John Mcafee, didn’t his neighbor kill some of his dogs and then he blamed the police for the murder of his neighbor?

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Yeah John, exactly. Dude was (or still is) burning both ends of the candle. Banging 2-3 chicks at a time (although, I think he has been clean and sober for quite some time).

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 11:08 am

Yeah John, that was the first time I saw JJW, too (early 70s) in Amarillo. Ha…he was drunk off his ass when I saw him, too. Then I saw him at a place (long since gone) called the Lonesome Armadillo in Roseville, CA. We was fantastic at that show (a bit more sober). Awesome spread in Belize…would love to go down for one of his gigs.

Steve, that video on McAfee was fucking hilarious. Who knows whether or not he aced his neighbor. I know when he was last in Belize…he left the country with a cute little 17 year old hottie.

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

Talking JJW this popped into my head:

And it’s up against the wall redneck mother…mother who has raised her son so well.
        He’s 34 and drinking in a honky tonk, just a kickin’ hippie’s asses and raising hell.
        Well…
        M is for the mudflaps she gave me for my pick-up truck
        O is for the oil I put on my hair.
        T is for T-bird.
        H is for Haggard.
        E is for eggs.
        And R is for REDNECK!

• WilcoJoe said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:35 pm

It’s crazy to sit here in Texas and read about y’all talking about Jerry Jeff…What did Costanza say, “my planets are colliding.”

• WilcoJoe said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Or was it “worlds”

10. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2014 at 9:50 am

As Flavor alluded to with regard to Pence and Lincecum, Sabean will try to lock up Panda before he hits the market. This is something I admittedly, didn’t think was a good idea, but I now think is brilliant. Regardless, of what shape he is in, he will get paid – so in my opinion, it is better to lock him up now, than later.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2014 at 10:26 am

I think they will and also try to do something with Belt that was similar to Sandoval’s last deal. That would give the club a position player core of Pagan, Sandoval, Belt, Posey and Pence locked up for a few years. The continuity that Baer is always talking about. Good for payroll stability and fans.

11. chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 11:20 am

Here is an article with a run-down on the Giant’s arb eligible players.

Per the article, Evans thinks the team will come to terms with all before the arb hearings…

12. manny said, on January 16, 2014 at 11:24 am

I saw Jerry Jeff around 1977/78 at a festival named “The Ozark Mountain Jam” somewhere near Jasper, Arkansas. That SOB was falling down drunk on the stage, of course I was in the same condition out in the
    crowd. The guy did put out some good music back then. I read a article a few years back that he had been sober for quite awhile. His wife said he just up and quit on either New Years Eve or Day.

13. willedav said, on January 16, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Enjoyed watching Stanford and Cal mens b-ball in blowout Ws last night. Cal just runs great sets by Monty–constant movement and motion designed to free up his shooters/screeners. This takes incredible amount of practice and reps to get timing down plus teaching fundamentals of footwork and balance, set up by fakes, etc., of all 5 guys. His OB plays are awesome too, and he’s been doing the same things for many many years with different teams. Teaching kids how to read defenses and make good decisions is just way harder than his teams make it look.

Contrast that with Dubs (and rest of NBA), where there’s a pass to Lee, who dribbles six times backs his guy down turns and shoots…while rest of the team mostly stands and watches. Sure, guys like Curry and Lee would school cobbs and Dwight powells of the world, but the me first gotta get my touches my game mentality of NBA pales in interest to me these days, and the trickle down affect isn’t healthy either. Pac 12 big west mtn west ball will be really interesting as college season progresses.
    There is no way I’d pay $60-100 to go watch pros and fight traffic of 15K at Dubs game, not to mention the noise level that starts pre-game and continues at all dead balls and times out. I’d rather watch High School, honestly.

14. zumiee said, on January 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

There’s some concern from pitching-motion purists regarding the herky-jerky aspect of Kershaw’s delivery, but maybe Kershaw will be just fine with it for the next 7 years. That motion is part of the reason he’s so brutally tough on hitters.

He’s one of several Dodgers, though, that have yet to prove they can win “the Big One.”

• chipower9 said, on January 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Yep. I think it was Charlie (Unca C) who coined him the Peyton Manning of pitchers. Hard to argue…

15. Alleykat said, on January 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

test…you knuckleheads 🍻

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2014 at 3:23 pm

passed

16. snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Russell Johnson just passed on.
    I guess he finally got off the island…

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Damn. The professor could make a radio out of 2 coconuts but couldn’t patch a hole in a boat.

McGuyver he ain’t,.

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I just read where his name on the show was supposedly Professor Roy Hinckley. WTF? I never heard that name, only ever heard “The Professor”. And, as a kid I must have seen every friggin episode of Gilligan’s Island at least 3 times. Maybe that was in the pilot and I missed that one. I think The Professor was doing threesomes with Ginger and Mary Ann the entire time — that’s why he couldn’t /wouldn’t patch the boat…

• paulinasia said, on January 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Yeah, Snarkk, afterall, the end of the theme song exicitly states “.. the move star, the professor and Mary Ann”. Clearly a nod to the 3-some…

• paulinasia said, on January 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Oops, that would be “explicitly”… jet-lagged back in the US now…

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, Paul, you’ll probably remember the original song ended with, “a movie star … and the rest”, with rest = Professor and Mary Ann. I read where Bob Denver, who played Gilligan, after the first season was PO’d with that snub, and threatened something or other until they fixed the song, so they added the Professor and Mary Ann to the song for the second season at his demand. Apparently, Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) did not know that Denver intervened on her behalf until many many years later, as he never mentioned it to her, nor did anybody from the producers. Weird…

17. Alleykat said, on January 16, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Snot Rocket should be kicking his cows and his dumbshit agent after Kershaws deal.And yes it was brillant of Sabean to lock him in way undervalue.
    Stats are comparable,minus the Cy’s , but Bum has the Rings, so eat shit Dodgers!!!!!

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

He’ll be kicking the cows as soon as he’s done with the South’s water coolers. But here’s the deal- if he’d asked for double what he got, Sabean wouldn’t have blinked.

18. snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Speaking of MLB player agents…

Here’s MadBum’s agent…

19. Celeste Johnston said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Crick is our prospect but we also have others. Derek Law in the last two years has struck out 188 walked only 38. He has a motion reminiscent of Luis Tiant and great control. Chris Stratton, Edwin Escobar (who is farthest along and might be a September call up THIS season. I agree that Sabean deserves credit for doing ground work and knowing where the market is going. 5 years/ $90 mil is looking like a steal for Hunter and if Morse can remain uninjured his has prodigious power to all fields.I prefer his gambles to others certainties.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers