Expanded Replay is *Official*—the details are out!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 16, 2014

What just about everyone wanted has finally happened and expanded replay will start next year. It covers pretty much everything you can think of EXCEPT the “neighborhood” play at 2nd base–and that’s great that they left that alone. While I was listening to Tolbert detail it on KNBR this afternoon I was left wanting to know about the logistics of a challenge. He wasn’t clear so I called up KNBR and asked the question myself. “Craig from Palo Alto….”

I wanted to know what would prevent a manager from going out there to argue and, essentially, stall for time while someone from the team reviewed the play to see if it was challenge worthy. Without a time clock there is simply too many ways to stall the game while the team checks to see if the play is challenge worthy or not.

Tolbert agreed this was a great point and it touched off a discussion between he and Ralph-Mouth that was still going on as I drove into my driveway and had to turn the radio off.

I hope MLB has got this figured out because I’m envisioning the game getting extended WAY out with blustery manager field storms designed only to waste enough time until they get the *yay or nay* from the dugout to throw the challenge flag.

By the way, you get one challenge that you can use and if you lose you’ve lost your challenge. If you win, you get another one. Then you’re done. The most you can challenge is 2 plays per game. After the 7th inning the umpire crew decides if a play gets reviewed or not. Presumably, you could still use your challenge after the 7th if you still have one.

SO what do you guys think of expanded replay?

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I’m for it.
    The reversal of the wrong calls at 1B alone will be worth it. I think the fear of this taking a ton of time are way overblown. Most calls in the game are not even close, so there won’t be but a few challengeable calls per game, on average. But, the wrong ump call late in games is often a killer, so I welcome replay. Get it right. The stupidest waste of time is the manager arguing with the ump for 3 or 4 minutes on some call everybody knows the ump won’t change. So, waiting for a replay review is nothing compared to that, IMO. And, in baseball, you can usually tell within one or two angles very quickly whether the call should be challenged…

2. Flavor said, on January 16, 2014 at 6:46 pm

What I’ve said for a while is that expanded replay should put an end to managers storming the field, or at least limiting it. If they have a challenge they either throw it on the field or they can’t take the field. There’s going to be too much namby pamby nonsense if they get to keep storming the field AND THEN they get to throw a challenge after arguing for 5 minutes and then the replay guys have to take another 2 minutes to make a call………

3. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

The thing I think happens is managers stalling for time every time there’s a close play to see if they SHOULD throw the challenge, uh, hanky? Towel? Baseball?

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm

that was the exact reason I called into KNBR this afternoon.

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I think that’s not going to happen. Replay shows the umps mistake very very quickly most times. For instance, when the throw beats / doesn’t beat the runner at first, the missed call is obvious IMO within 10-15 seconds when they show the first one or two replay angles. That should be a no brainer to throw the red flag or whatever it is that the manager has to do…

4. Bozo said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I think mimicking pro football is the wrong way to go here, the managers shouldn’t be allowed to challenge at all. First off, baseball isn’t on a clock, on TV we see 3 replays before a batter normally gets in the box. I think a fifth ump should be in the booth watching the game/replays, if something looks wrong, he calls down to the crew chief who reviews the selected replays from the booth. At that point it’s the crew chief’s call.
    This way Blue still feels in charge and MLB has a fail proof grading system on the crew chiefs. Bonus to this would be, a crew chief wouldn’t want a fuck up ump who keeps putting him on the hot seat on his crew. MLB, via the crew chief, could finally weed out the shit umps and at the same time monitor the crew chiefs and the review ump based on the replays that they saw.

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:25 pm

this process needs to get them off the field. And nothing I heard today tells me they are not coming on the field. If anything, to stall for time, they’ll be on the field MORE OFTEN>

• stixwiz said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

Good points.

5. Flavor said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Dave Madden and Russell Johnson down. Both deaths hit me pretty hard (at least, for 2 people I never knew)

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:41 pm

It’s goin’ to be a bad day when Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) goes. Shit, she’s 75 and still looks do-able. Why is it that “Ginger or Mary Ann?” polls always show Mary Ann kicking Ginger’s ass about 3-1 with American males? Because Mary Ann is the girl next door. The American male talks a good game about wanting the big boobed, Barbie show girl type, but when it comes down to it, he wants the dependable girl next door, the chick who is hot enough to get it done right now, but more importantly, later on in life she’s going to give you a coupla kids with their heads on straight and won’t bail on your ass when you need her the most. Ginger will bail, Mary Ann won’t. BTW, Dawn Wells was Miss Nevada 1959 in the Miss America pageant…

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Then again, check out this young lady. Her mother is Tina Louise (Ginger)…

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 7:45 am

DAMN! She is finer than frog hair. Obviously got some of her genetics from mom…

6. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Great for “drain the vein” bathroom runs.

7. Celeste Johnston said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I have no problem with replays but I do think that you need to limit the number of challenges and that they can not be banked. We need right calls but baseball is also a game of rhythm. Pitchers get into rhythms and to have that artificially disrupted would be to disrupt the rhythm and flow of the game. Disrupt the flow and you diminish what makes baseball, baseball. I think that a non bankable two is a good number.

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Celeste– great point about the “rhythm” of the game. I’ve always thought that if you’re a manager and you challenge and you get it right, that’s all that matters. I’d like to think a challenge-win wouldn’t happen so often that it would ruin the rhythm. But you’re right, it certainly could.

8. Nipper said, on January 16, 2014 at 8:20 pm

BLUE needs help. Replay should be expanded.

9. Macdog said, on January 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Angel Hernandez better start looking for another line of work.

10. chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 7:43 am

I like it, and I don’t think it will have a significant impact on the flow (rhythm) of the game. For those who have not seen the details, here is an excerpt from a story on mllbcom:

“Approximately 90 percent of all plays will be subject to review including calls involving home runs, ground-rule doubles, fan interference, boundary calls, plays at first base, force plays, tag plays, fair-foul and trap plays in the outfield, hit by pitch, timing plays, touching the base, passing runners and any dispute involving ball-strike counts, outs, score or substitutions. All other plays, including interference and obstruction, will not be reviewable.

To initiate a review, the manager will verbally inform the umpire of his intention in a timely manner. The challenge may involve multiple portions of the same play, but each must be specified during the appeal.

Challenges must be made in a “timely manner” with discipline possible if the manager appears to be stalling.”

The last two paragraphs, I feel, address the concern some have voiced about the manager coming out and humming and hawing for 4-5 minutes before deciding to challenge. Sounds like the ump will tell the manager…look, shit or get off the pot (you going to challenge, or not). I will be interested to know what the “discipline” is levied against the manager for not making the challenge in a timely manner.

But yeah, I am down with it. The article also says they will review how things went at the end of this year and the following year, and that by then they believe they will have any bugs ironed-out.

Only 24 days until pitchers and catchers report! I have tickets for the games my daughter and I will see…need to lock-and-load on flights and hotel this weekend. Whoot…cannot wait for baseball!

11. willedav said, on January 17, 2014 at 8:38 am

Saw a listing of all the guys coming out early for NFL draft, including some locals, and was very surprised at how many there are these days. I don’t see how even redshirt juniors can physically hang with the grown men who are in the NFL, but I guess if they want to try it’s their business.
    I see on cbs site UNC threw a roadblock into research of Mary Willingham, who called out the school for lack of academics. Her claim is that 60% of athletes she worked with there in football and b-ball over a period of 8 years were reading at 4th to 8th grade level. Roy and the admin dispute this…who do you trust here, someone actively trying to help athletes with their studies or someone involved with promoting the *for profit* sports?

You would hope that given the opportunity of a free ride to a major college the athletes would take advantage of that to get themselves an education, but I can understand those who aren’t into it and likely never have been. All they have to do is take chump classes as directed by coaches and stay eligible long enough to go pro and do what they really want to do–play their sport for money. B-ball and baseball guys can do it right out of high school. At some point NFL is gonna have to take closer look at how they handle all the early entries. Maybe some kind of D-league or minors football like other sports would be the way to go.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:20 am

College football IS the NFL minor leagues. I think the rule is you need at least 3 years of college playing time to be eligible for the draft. But you can come out after sophomore year, though most don’t.

Johnny football will be interestng to see. Especially coming out early. I could very easily see him being overwhelmed by the NFL and being a washout. But everyone is blowing smoke up his ass aboput how good he is.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:20 am

Actually, basketball players cannot be drafted right out of HS. They gain eligibility one year after their HS graduation, and they must be 19 years old.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

Shoulda been clear. College football players . . . You can come out as a hardship case in both. Chocolate Thunder came out as a high schooler, didn’ he?

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 11:59 am

The NBA rules on eligibilty changed a few years back. Players right out of HS are not eligible in the NBA draft…

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 17, 2014 at 8:39 am

So the manager throws a flag or what? If that is the case Baseball really needs something more interesting. Maybe a gong or how about a huge button mounted to a post at the top step of the dugout? Sort of like the one they use at the end of the ninja warrior course. It could be tied into the jumbo-tron or whatever local entertainment they use at each park. For AT&T the fog horns would go off, in Miami that statue sculpture thing would start spinning. In LA….I guess a bleacher fight would break out.

• Macdog said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:17 am

Re LA: Or the manager could throw a beach ball onto the field.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:21 am

Yep…in Smell A it would have to include a beach ball in some fashion…

13. willedav said, on January 17, 2014 at 8:55 am

I’m fortunate enough to work in busy downtown of an affluent area with a lot of foot traffic, and weather here (don’t cringe out of towners) is sunny and in the 70s, so…when I got to work lunchtime yesterday it was full on babewatch.
    As robt. cray said in his song *New blood*, “Must be the power of the moon”, because they were all out and dressed (or under-dressed) to kill, all day.
    This phenomenon occurs a few times a year, and is much appreciated by all with good fortune to view it.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:21 am

You and Stix ought to trade places for a week.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:36 am

I don’t know that any of us would survive a week at Stix’s place. Maybe if I had a harem to keep me warm…

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:44 am

Lived in Colo for a while. Place was at 8200 ft. That being said, it has heat and electricity. Not sure what Stix has in the way of amenities . . .

• stixwiz said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hey, i’m down with that. On second thought, though, it would probably take at least half a week to do basic training for stoves and water pump ~ the latter being extremely complex in the winter. Lottsa folk would be happy to switch with me in May or September !~ except maybe Hawaiians who have our two super months pretty much year around.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

Yeah, I lived in Wyoming for a couple of years during the 70s (Casper – elevation 5200). A couple of buddies and I lived in an undeveloped (no power, no water) homesteader’s cabin the first summer we were there. That was interesting. Nice place to visit…would never want to live there again. That is what I love about where I live now. I am about an hour from Tahoe, and about 90 minutes from the City.

• DJLoo said, on January 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I like leering at chicks as much as anyone. But girl watching is overrated. What does it really do for you?
      Girl Watcher was a great song around 1969…

14. chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:25 am

Mota and Brad Penny will be in the Royals big league camp this spring. How old is Mota? This video may shed some light on that question…

15. chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

Giants avoid arbitration with Abreu (745k) and the White Shark (2.525 mil). Teams have until noon CST to come to terms before having to exchange numbers. But they can also continue to negotiate into February to avoid an arb hearing.

16. zumiee said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

Yes, even being millionaires now, some of the pro athletes needed to get more out of their college education, and I’m not kidding. After the game last week, one of the 49ers said in a TV interview: “We playing good. We doing what it take.” That kind of stuff gets cleaned up usually by the print media, but there’s no hiding it on the TV interviews. It’s a ridiculous mangling of the English language by an athlete that went to a university.

• stixwiz said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

Most Americans could name you the football and basketball coaches at their nearest major university. But could they name the president of the institution? What does that tell you about institutional priorities and tutorial programs?

• zumiee said, on January 17, 2014 at 12:41 pm

In one of the books by the great historian Richard Hofstadter, he quoted an administrator at the Univ. of Oklahoma in the 1950s, who said “We hope to someday have a university worthy of our football team.”
        With an attitude like that, maybe they never achieved it.

• James said, on January 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Maybe I’m not paying attention, but Zumie’s mention of Hofstadter calls to mind how little “The Paranoid Style in American Politics” seems to be referenced today.

Ebonics? Not sure it’s a true parallel — clearly you’re pointing to a real failing, and not a cultural choice — but I can switch between the incomprehensible village dialect I learned as a kid and standard German when I need to.

• James said, on January 17, 2014 at 1:55 pm

My all-time favorite sports quote. See upper left:

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Damn. I missed the pickleball tournament. Grgrlgrlgrlgrlgle

• Chipower9 said, on January 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

That (the quote by Ricky) is fricking hilarious, James.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I just don’t ever remember him not talking in the 3rd person about himself.

17. zumiee said, on January 17, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Yeah, James, Hofstadter had keen insight into American politics and culture. He wrote things over 50 years ago that are as relevant and insightful as ever. His name isn’t as well known today, but he was one of the great ones. Hopefully some of his books are still being assigned in university classes. Probably not the classes the athletes attend, though.
    Oh snap!! :)

18. Nipper said, on January 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

When’s spring training? Winter never really showed up in the BAY AREA. Time to get rid of those wasteful lawns in the burbs. Only the Mexicans cut them now. Whites shun cutting anything.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Is Dennis not keeping you warm in the back of the van, Nippy? You seema little cranky today,

19. twinfan1 said, on January 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I have a new post on my blog. Poetry about two good reasons to live long and love longer. I hope some of you will share your favorites. I did a post about baseball poetry before, it never tires..

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 495 other followers