Belt, The Offense, Tanaka, When Does the Niner Game Start?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 17, 2014

Belt asked for 3.6 mil and the Giants offered 2.05 mil. The Giants haven’t gone to arbitration with a player since 2003 (AJ Jackass) and there’s no way they’re going to start now. They’ll hit 2.75 mil, maybe a touch more. And Belt deserves it. He developed into one of the premiere NL first basemen last year.

I’m pretty optimistic about the O next year. We have a healthy Pagan. A slimmed down-contract-year-driven Panda. A paid Pence. An ascending Belt. And Crawford is only going upwards on both sides. Morse. A former MVP who is 26. I’ll tell ya, if Scoots can make a fist, we might just have a team that can score in the high-600’s runs. Maybe the low 700’s? I can’t emotionally tolerate that threshold. Back down to the high 600’s. Better.

The Dodgers are in serious negotiations with Tanaka.

Feel better?

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Tanaka’s wife has singing aspirations, She wants to live on the west coat. He’s going to be an Angel.

2. ewisco said, on January 17, 2014 at 9:51 pm

seriously, when do pitchers and catchers report?

• Celeste Johnston said, on January 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

February 13

3. SanDawg said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Flav is now calling Belt one of the premiere first basemen in baseball? Somebody run over to Alpha Beta for a hard pack of Virginia Slims cuz you’ve come a long way baby (giraffe).
    I really haven’t been following the Tanaka talk. I just saw now that he went 24-0 with 1.27 last year. And he’s in serious talks with the Doggers? Yikes.

• Celeste Johnston said, on January 22, 2014 at 8:53 pm

First of Belt is a darn good defensive first baseman and second he ended the year hitting. I do think that he is on the verge of break through. He’s had to do a lot of learning at the big league level that is normally done in AA or AAA. We’ve seen the growing pains of the baby giraffe now I do believe that we are in for some good solid, possibly great play from him.

4. snarkk said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I hope Belt holds steady and gets as much as he friggin can out of Baer. Hold out for $3+ million, and don’t sign any long term screw me deals like MadBum did

• Celeste Johnston said, on January 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Nobody held a gun to MadBum’s head to sign that deal. He signed because he wanted to. He wanted to buy out all his arb years and some free agency because he didn’t want to deal with contract talks for a long while. Clearly the money was unimportant to him. He wanted long term security and that is what he got.

5. James said, on January 17, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Let’s hope he doesn’t start crying In Sabe’s office, if they give him the $3M – between Morse and Buster’s need to “rest,” the Giraffe might be lucky to scrape together 400 PAs with a show of weakness like that!

6. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2014 at 5:36 am

I’m not convinced Belt’s one of the premiere first basemen on the Giants…

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 7:04 am

His K% is still too high for my tastes, especially considering his bomb production but his WAR is impossible to deny. He’s one of the very best in either league.

7. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 7:33 am

I like Belt and expect him to have a breakout season this year. However, right now he is only the 4th best 1st baseman in the National League (based upon his WAR number of 4.4). Next season I am hoping he climbs to 2nd or 3rd.

Love what Montana said about Kap. Joe is spot on about what Kaepernick needs to do, if he wants to be a great QB. Great discussion (and agreement with Joe) by ESPN First Take crew, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless.

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2014 at 11:32 am

Thanks blade, I needed a reminder on what an ass Skip Bayless was. Couldn’t even watch the clip with all the spittle flying.

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Yep. It was a glorious day when he left the bay area.

8. willedav said, on January 18, 2014 at 7:59 am

Each of last two seasons Belt has finished year very strong. Last year only hitters better on the entire team were Pence and Posey, and I think Belt actually got his OPS about even with Posey’s And at $3mil he’s one helluva bargain. Something wrong with being 4th best at his position in the entire league for that money?
    The park kills his power numbers, so as long as he stays here he’s not going 30/100 and will be overshadowed in this division by AGon and Goldschmidt. But if he can keep the OB high and yank the occasional bomb down the RF line or take an outside pitch over the LCF fence, the upside is Keith Hernandez territory.

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 8:27 am

Nope, nothing wrong with it WD . . . By the by, AGon is rated 6th behind Belt (per ESPN stat ratings).

9. willedav said, on January 18, 2014 at 8:30 am

Second thought, maybe Belt does need a new agent: our boy Nate is getting $5.5 mil from the Cubs.

10. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2014 at 8:39 am

Keith Hernandez territory? That would be amazing.
    He just better not slip to Enzo Hernandez territory.

• willedav said, on January 18, 2014 at 9:02 am

I think the upside is .290s with 15-20 bombs and excellent D, consistently. And hopefully without the drug drama. I like the kid, understand if you don’t feel he reps traditional power out of that spot.
      Crawford is the guy who might be in enzo land. Imo, Belt is the best defensive, and maybe offensive, player on the entire IF.

If nba really wanted to market the game they’d show every Dubs thunder game they could. Durant was spectacular, Dubs and Curry battled them, plenty of offense and great shooting from both sides.

Contrast that with game I saw end of while getting my hair cut before that, Clips and the Bricks. Last couple minutes Griffin gets hammered on a breakaway by Chandler. So, leading by 15, Doc leaves him in and they post him up every time down the floor. Finally he’s backing down a guy Shaq style, plows into him on a hop and levels him, picking up a T for his efforts. Thug ball, best left on the playground.

• SanDawg said, on January 18, 2014 at 9:12 am

Willie-our hoops team is getting better. Played a team last night that blew both teams out earlier in the year and we gave them a much better fight this time. The players and the assistant coach (me) are both getting a better grasp of what the head coach wants run. Having a lot of fun, but still too many hot dog and/or pizza dinners.
        Totally agree with you that Belt can be a Keith Hernandez type guy. Mark Grace and Wally Joyner also come to mind.

11. James said, on January 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

Just because it hasn’t been said in a while: K rate tells you absolutely nothing about how productive a hitter has been that isn’t already reflected in his OPS. A reduced K rate would, however, very likely mean a higher OPS.

I could almost guarantee you that if technology was used instead of a home plate ump, Belt’s K/BB ratio would improve.

• SanDawg said, on January 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

I’d love to see them go to tech full time for the strike zone and get batter reputations, ump styles, did-he-hit-the-glove? and all that crap taken out of the equation.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:34 pm

it’s related to the number of home runs he hits. If you have a high K rate YOU BETTER have a lot of home runs. If not, then the K’s aren’t worth it.

12. James said, on January 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

Belt already is a Keith Hernandez type guy (albeit with more power), if last year’s performance becomes the norm.

13. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2014 at 10:00 am

I think you guys are seriously underestimating Keith Hernandez or just going by stats alone. One of the headiest ballplayers ever. Comparing him to Belt is like comparing a Rhodes scholar to a slow 4th grader.

• Nipper said, on January 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

Kick their butts Loo!

• Macdog said, on January 18, 2014 at 10:14 am

Amen. Just on fielding alone, Belt’s got a long way to go before he can approach Hernandez-like status.

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 10:25 am

Agree with Loo . . . Umm, how about he plays for the next 10 years before we compare him to a legitimate star. What’s next? Gehrig?

14. James said, on January 18, 2014 at 11:38 am

Nostalgia, more powerful than cocaine. My comment was qualified by an “if.”

• willedav said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm

And mine was *the upside* which I said twice. In other words I think that is his ceiling should he able to continue to mature and improve given consistent PT esp vs. LHP.

• DJLoo said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm

James – Willie, I understand what you guys were saying. My respect for Hernandez is just so great that I can’t handle seeing “Belt” in the same paragraph regardless of what the words are.

15. Bozo said, on January 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

BBOTD gone? Looks like I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue.

16. snarkk said, on January 18, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Dissing Belt is a losing game. He’s in the top echelon of NL 1bmen, and he’s still learning how to hit, and to ignore Bam Bam and the insults he gets from management. Were I he, I’d sign off my arb years at a very high price only, and then scoot somewhere else my first FA year, preferably a place with a regular right field so that my HRs would increase by about a dozen…

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I don’t think anyone is “dissing” him. Everyone has high hopes for him. Just my take, but I think some of us (including me), have a tendency to look through rose colored “homer” glasses. If he continues to improve from last season, I’ll take it. Biggest position player improvement IMO has to come from Panda, full year of Crazy Horse doing what he did in September, and Posey rediscovering some semblance of his MVP performance.

17. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I’m actually very optimistic about Belt. I just don’t see him ever in Keith Hernandez’ league in any way whatsoever. I would be thrilled if he had a career comparable to Adam Laroche.

18. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Flavor, sent you an FD NFL lineup and need your Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval. :-)

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:48 pm

replied. (2 emails)

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Flavor!

19. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

With just 5 mins left to post in the Cal Derby at GGF, the public has bet down HARBAUGH, 10-1 on the ML to the current 5/2 favorite. If it wasn’t for our dumb public, where would our great society be today?

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 3:49 pm

that’s the kind of hunch bet I thought you’d be all in on. Maybe if it was named “Manning?”

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm

HARBAUGH drifted up to 6/1 as they entered the gate. Jimbo didn’t even live up to those odds as he finished next to last. If that 3 yo chestnut son of BROTHER DEREK is any indication of what’s to come to Harbaugh tomorrow…?

There’s always the option to give Jimbo an extension and big raise so he can continue the legacy of both Marty Schottenheimer and Marv Levy and be known as the Niner coach who loses all the big games.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 18, 2014 at 4:09 pm

All kidding aside, I do like ROOKIE SENSATION a bit here coming up in the STRUB at SA. 1st try on conventional dirt, but he’s bred for it and has proven winning sibs over it. Cuts back from 1 1/4 to the new 1 1/16 dist. of this race…8/1 makes him a play today…

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 18, 2014 at 4:16 pm

ROOKIE SENSATION and HARBAUGH can go share a stall together. Shit. To make matters worse, my man Bob Baffert runs 1-2. Serves me right.

Opener at the Meadowlands approaches. Loo? Little help.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm

wait, you’re telling me that a horse people bet down solely due to his name didn’t run well? That’s shocking.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on January 18, 2014 at 4:38 pm

No. I think the usually “informed public” thought there would be a decent chance HARBAUGH could be a “LF” and maybe wire ‘em. Jimbo received early pressure and was done after 6F. It happens. Don’t need to tell you.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2014 at 6:23 pm

the ML guy knows about possible Lone-F’s, it’s factored into the line. If that horse is named “Prickley Pete” or “Snowflake” or some other random shit he might get bet down to 8-1 on that Lone-F theory. The only way a 10-1 ML gets bet down to 5/2 (and doesn’t win) is if there’s a bunch of dumb money on him. And betting his name the day before the biggest game SF has seen in years is more than enough reason to explain how he got bet down so hard.

23. snarkk said, on January 18, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I must be misinformed about this Tanaka thing. I thought a team had to win the bid for the posting first, then only after that happened could the winning team negotiate with the player. No?…

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I think they changed the rules this year to any team willing to give the posting team 20 mil AND come to an agreement with the player gets the winner, winner, chicken dinner chant.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers