Go Get That Money, Son

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2014

The Giants and Brandon belt agreed on a 2.9 million dollar salary for 2014 just eight hours before his arbitration hearing. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why they waited so long to get that done. Belt was forced to fly out to Florida for his non-hearing and you would think the Giants would have tried to avoid that inconvenience. Considering what Freeman is making, the Giants are now getting yet another bargain player (Mad Bum, how’s that deal feelin’ to you?) so making Belt fly all the way across the country to give him what you could have given him without making him do this seems like the more reasonable approach to contract negotiations.

______________________

Thoughts on the lawsuit against MLB wanting more $ for minor league players? Less than minimum wage is a little over the top. I mean, when the hot dog vendors are taking YOU out to lunch, it’s time to take another look at the single A ball pay structure for the ball players. Can you imagine if a San Jose class A player married a Raiders cheerleader? There wouldn’t be a broker couple anywhere in the Bay Area!

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2014 at 8:19 am

I am not surprised at all that Sabean let the negotiation go to the last minute and inconvenienced Belt. That’s how Sabes rolls. He thinks that alienating the other party will be fruitful in negotiations. His approach to negotiations is so obvious and pathetic. Belt is probably so used to Operation Dick Around by now that he didn’t think twice about it. Having taken the best option he just has to go perform, be a good soldier and remember not to slump those shoulders.

2. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

Yeah, I think it is bullshit that this (and other negotiations) have dragged out. As I stated on the previous thread, I would prefer to see them buy out his final three years of arbitration (for stability on salary during those years). But from Belt’s perspective I can see him going one year. If he has a breakout year, he’ll demand (and probably get) more coin next year. If it had gone to a hearing, I think Belt would have got his 3.6 this year (in arbitration it is one or the other…no middle ground). And as I also mentioned on the previous thread, Belt still got a nice bump from 531k to 2.9 mil (a raise of almost six-fold).

• salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:05 am

They are going to buy out his Arb years but they first wanted to do a 1 yr to establish a starting price. That’s the official reason given anyway. Think they did the same with Posey and others.
      Any maybe it dragged on longer because Belt’s agt was not willing to settle?
      Giants seem fair in neg contracts, never having gone to a hearing since AJ.

3. willedav said, on February 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

Wow, Finland takes out Russians in ice hockey. All the more reason for Putin to grouse about the disallowed goal that his boys in this predicament. But Russians haven’t been scoring much and Finns have excellent goaltending and play tough D.
    According to gal I work with who grew up in Finland before coming to America to go to college, while the older generation certainly remembers what Russians did to their country, the real rivals are neighbor Sweden. Those two are on same side of bracket, and winner would get to gold medal game should they meet. USA and Canada would be helluva match up too should they get there.

Belt contract might be blessing in disguise. I think if SF and he and Bum were doing well both would get nice offers and extensions before season ended. And if the team wasn’t in any better position than last year and Sabes decided things had to be broken up, Belt would be one of the guys that could bring something back.
    When you think about it, Sabes is taking a big gamble on bringing back everyone for another rodeo. If it doesn’t work out well, someone’s riding out of Dodge.

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

If it doesn’t work out, someone is riding out of Dodge…perhaps, but guarantee you it will NOT be Sabes.

4. Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:01 am

In 2010 they settled with Timmy outside of the arbitration office, minutes before the meeting. Also, are we sure the offer Belt excepted wasn’t the same offer the Giants made before he took his flight? Maybe Brandon and his agent talked on the plane, agreed that it was a decent pay raise and to go for the big bucks on a long term contract.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

Also, Sabean and Larry Baer do not want to go before a hearing and rip apart a young player (even Belt). So if it was just adding another 100 thou or two Belt’s agent should have thrown that out there before everyone got on a plane (I’m assuming that Sabean did as well).

Willie also brings up a good point as far as future plans could be an issue. I’ve read where Panda’s performance is a key issue. If Pablo under performs he doesn’t get resigned and Posey goes to third if he does they might want Posey at first over Belt. I think there is more at play than we know about.

• Salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am

Posey is a catcher wants to catch and is not EVER going to play 3rd. Stop with that nonsense.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’m with you Salty but I’m not sure management is. I like Posey as a catcher. And, even though I think he would be solid at either third or first, I would rather trade him then have him switch positions.

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:15 am

The offer Belt accepted was not the one originally offered by Sabes/the Giants. Belt was asking 3.6 mil. Giants were offering 2.05. Belt settled just north of the mid-point between the two numbers.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

Chi those were the submitted numbers, I assume negotiations were ongoing and I haven’t seen anything about the amounts that were discussed before each party hit the airport. If negotiations weren’t ongoing then yeah, Belt was getting dicked around because I don’t think that is usually the norm.

5. Flavor said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

Belt is flying back to Phoenix right now so he’ll be missing the first full day of mandatory workouts. How much will the Giants fine him?

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:16 am

No way he gets fined. Shit, he was on official binnez…

6. Salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am

;)

• Salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:21 am

Meant for Bozo.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:26 am

Back at you Salty:-)

7. Alleykat said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:21 am

Agree Dirt, the org has jacked him around since day 1!!!
    Bet they made him pay for his flight as well, or if they did it was in baggage…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:41 am

I think Belt is just a goofy dude and his demeanor sort of clashes with the somewhat old school approach that Sabean and Bochy have. Throw in social media that seems to drive beat reporter questions and there is this perception of not liking him.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:16 am

I’m always over the top in defense of Belt, admittedly. Were I Belt, I’d tell the Giants to fuck off, bust my butt to put up numbrs and go arb year to arb year, or sign away only my arb years at a premium price and no FA years (which Giants would not do, probably). I’d want out of this org as fast as possible, given my past treatment and especially with that huge right field that gobbles up my future homers and other xtra base hits as I get my pull swing developed. That slightly pissed off ‘tude might also force them to trade me early before my arb years are up…

8. Salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

Lovinh

• salty said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:23 am

damn…new to this tablet

9. wswin said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:33 am

I guess that’s why players don’t want to leave…the organization dicks them around too much.

Tis better to be thought a fool, then open your mouths, or use your keypads and remove all doubt.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

Players wanting to come to SF or stay at a discount is a somewhat new development. The club communicates in the media about Belt in a way I have never seen with any other player in the org. Maybe they think it motivates him. Who knows? Good luck to you.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:24 am

Totally agree, dirt. In 45+ years of being a Giants fan, I have never seen or heard a Giants management publicly diss a player repeatedly like they have Belt. Especially since management is at fault for bringing him up way early, with about 600 pro ABs, as JT Snow said pointedly last year on KNBR. Now, they have the guy fly to Florida for nothing other for him to show them he’s not taking any more of their shit, IMO. I think Sabes was low-balling to the last minute, so Belt and his agent jumped onto a plane to show Sabes they were willing to go into the arb hearing, unless he came up with more cash. Why would they jump onto a plane for $50K or $100K difference — unlikely, IMO. Had to be more than that, or else it was an “in your face” move, which is possible, too, if negotiations were nasty behind the scenes. And why not risk the arb hearing from Belt’s viewpoint — Sabes grinding an improving Belt to the last dime, yet he gave an old, possibly washed up Voggy $5M+ when nobody else in the league was reportedly even near that offer. Plus, Belt is looking to be nearly as good as Freeman, who just got a Brinks truck unloaded on him by the Braves. Hell, the Giants eventually got rid of them but didn’t publicly diss Armando or Miggy hardly at all when both of them basically trashed their own teammates and committed public insubordination, respectively, to the media…

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

I think Panda has the lead on getting beat up in the media. They used to do it with Timmy as well. I thought for awhile it was just Belt now I’m thinking it’s managements m.o.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

All I know is that for a supposed “class” organization, the Giants have curiously dumped on some players in public. Criticize Harbaugh for all his foibles, but the guy NEVER disses his players in public, even if they obviously might deserve it. Brandon Jacobs called Harbaugh a “bitch” in the media last month; not a peep in return from Harbaugh. Culliver embarassed the Niner organization with his anti-gay remarks, the organization rightly came down on him, but that was for off-field stuff, and Harbaugh criticized Culliver in an almost positive, “he’ll learn from this” kind of way. Giants should take a lesson…

10. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

Clown – I am sure negotiations were ongoing from the time the initially swapped figures (2.05 vs. 3.6). But I doubt seriously any details of the dollar amounts exchanged were or will ever be made public.

Just glad to have that out of the way so that everyone can now focus on getting ready for the season.

And I do not believe the Giants are in a hurry to move Posey to another position. Ideally (for me, anyway), Panda kicks ass and gets a deal that locks-up 3rd for a few years, Belt blossoms and has a great year, and his final years of arbitration are bought out, and Posey returns to MVP form and spends most of his time behind the dish.

I know you have brought up trading Posey…no way in hell I ever see that happening (at least not in the forseeable future).

If they ever do move Posey to one of the corners, look for Susac to slide into the starting backstop role.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:39 am

I don’t want to trade Posey if he stays a catcher but I would if the Giants are moving him to an infield spot (well, if he could play second I’d be OK with that). Posey is just coming into his own behind the dish, why do the Giants keep bringing up a position change? I doubt many other teams would even contemplate it until he started to wear down. And yes, I remember the injury. Posey is an All Star catcher, would he be an All Star First baseman? Maybe, but that’s my rub.

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I agree…I don’t see Posey as an All Star 1st sacker. But even if the Giants do, down the road, decide to move Buster, I don’t see him going anywhere.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I agree, keep Posey behind the dish, extend Belt and Panda then we don’t have to trade any of those three. Damn chi, you are one tough negotiator. :)

11. snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

I think it is a possibility in the not distant future that Posey will take first or third, and others will catch. If he doesn’t like it, tough, he’s getting paid a fortune to do what management wants to keep him healthy and batting .300, instead of cratering in the last 1/3 of the season, and selling Buster unis in the Dugout stores. Belt or Panda will be gone, likely Belt traded since I don’t see him wanting to stay in an org that treats him like a bad smell, and he or his agent will somehow force the issue…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 am

I don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Belt stay and eventually get the deal that many think Sandoval is on track for. For all the flack Belt gets from management he fits the 1b mold that Sabean likes of good defense with a decent BA. I think Belt can be better than Snow but not as good as Clark but that is still a damn good player. Most teams in the league would be happy to have Belt on their club.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:50 am

Again, agreed dirt. Exactly as I see Belt. I think he has the potential in another home park to hit 25-30 dingers on a regular basis, not as good all around hitter as Will, but more potential power, and better defensively than JT, mainly because he’s quicker with his feet, and has a better, more accurate arm and isn’t afraid to use it. With his size, he’s a prototype first baseman. No doubt Sabes has standing trade offers for Belt from multiple teams, assuming Sabes has had his iPhone turned on…

12. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:40 am

Yeah, at some point, Posey probably moves to a corner, but as long as he is healthy and producing, and can go deep in the season, I think he’ll remain behind the dish.

13. Macdog said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m glad to see this Belt nonsense finally squared away so he can get back to camp. Why it got that far I have no idea, but I would like to see the Giants eventually lock him up long-term. Although the one positive over Belt someday leaving would be no more stupid Olive Garden jokes from Baggs.

14. snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:47 am

Scutaro talking about his fingers and back. Tell me if this guy looks like the first day of ST, or mid-August ready to hit the DL? Holy smokes. What’s the over / under in games he’ll play at 2b this season? 90? I thought that three year deal was one year too long, but maybe I was optimistic. http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/marco-scutaro-cant-guarantee-back-issues-are-behind-him

15. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 10:54 am

RE: the minor league salaries and lawsuit – I certainly think minor leaguers should be paid a better wage. They are basing their lawsuit on the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), which based on what I have read is a complex act. Maybe snarkk can chime-in on this. The flip-side (and one of the defenses that is expected by MLB) is that the players willingly and knowingly sign a contract.

Bottom line, I think the compensation of minor league players is due an overhaul. The thing that sucks if this happens is that a majority of that cost will be passed along to the fans (as it usually is). One of the beautiful things about taking in a minor league game is that it is still affordable for a family. Let’s hope that the players get their raise AND that the minor league games remain affordable for the common family.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:22 am

Chi, I don’t have much on this topic. I’ll just say I’m with the players getting as much as they can at that level, since most of them are never going to get to MLB and the big coin. If Northwestern football players are applying for union certification, I don’t see why the minor league baseball players can’t do the same…

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:23 am

What happened to Xoot? He could usually chime in with good stuff on topics like this…

16. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 am

I thought the Scutaro deal was a year too long, too, but at the time, he was a piece the Giants wanted and needed. He helped win us a World Series, so if he can’t perform this year, and the Giants end up eating some salary, so be it. That shot of Scoots standing in the rain, looking skyward will forever be etched on my mind as one of my all-time favorite Giant moments.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Well, I got some chills watching it. The videographer had some nice seats.

17. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 am

Homer Bailey and Reds ink 6 year / 105 mil deal.

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:27 am

Looks like a steal for Cincy…

18. stixwiz said, on February 19, 2014 at 11:58 am

It’s over. For now. Expect arb years negotiations to continue ~ probably under the radar until the organization comes up with the kinda offer Belt and his agent will demand. And it will not be a long-term skrewwing like MadBum suffered. No BigBassNine will hunker down in the weeds and play hard to get while piling up the numbers in a huge way on his path to serious MVP contention.

Belt is prepped for a breakout year. He showed severious signs of just that in the latter part of last season with his changed grip and stance in the box propelling him into a flashing finale. Look for big numbers, particularly in runs scored, XBH’s and runs produced. 200+ is my guess. Take the best defensive first sacker around and add heavy run production and you have a player who can pretty much name his own price. If Big Johnson and the rest of the ownership circle refuse to come across with the big bucks for the Big Bass, rumor has it that there are teams in NYC and LaLaLand who would be delighted to reel one in from under the schnozzolas of Sabean, Baer, Johnson & Associates.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2014 at 12:51 pm

“And it will not be a long-term skrewwing like MadBum suffered.”

Seriously, you’re going to use the word “suffered”?

• stixwiz said, on February 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Picked many nits lately? “Suffered” may have been a somewhat inapt bit of usage for me,but that admitted, he did get taken,most of us would agree. To keep their Ace happy, the Giants ought to restructure his compensation if he turns in yet another stellar season. Helps morale all across the board, dontcha know.

I don’t pretend to understand the politix of greed, being slightly short on that commodity myself. But in my book NOBODY needs a billion dollars and taxation systems (were it not for bribed and blackmailed Congresscitters and bureaucraps) could take care of that in a heartbeat. Koch brothers are the star exemplars of why there should be a huge inheritance tax on monster fortunes. People with too much money lose touch with any sense of shared humanity. Now if someone goes out and EARNS a few million bucks without skrewwing over a whole bunch of people in the process, i got no probs with that.

19. zumiee said, on February 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. Belt had to get on a plane to get a “few” extra hundred thousand dollars. I guess this easily qualifies as a “first world problem.”

20. Alleykat said, on February 19, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Stix, Giants could chip in for Bum with a “Shed” kinda like Woodys, but his would be named “The Snot Zone”
    All of his hillbilly friends can have a contest for furthest nostril launch…😁

21. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I don’t feel sorry for Madison re: his contract. I am sure he had an agent representing him and he signed the deal. Now I do agree that by MLB pitching standards and what is being tossed around coin-wise for pitchers, that he is underpayed. I would not have a problem at all with the Giants restructuring his deal to give the boy enough money to buy a few more head of cattle for his sweetheart.

22. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

There are some great shots here from today’s first full workout…

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Neologism of the Day (NOTD): Sabesmanship.

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Is Boston College going to hand SU hoops its first loss? (No, I’m not at the game.) Incidentally, a controversy is percolating here over the replacement/rebuilding (or not) of the Carrier Dome. Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner, whose husband Jack Mannion is one of us Giants fans and who says hi to me by name when she strolls in to the coffee shops and likes my books, asked three basic questions: Who would own the new dome? Where would it be? Who would pay for it? Those seem like reasonable questions to me. Well, she and County Exec Joanie Mahoney, aligned with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, had a bit of a falling out, it seems. (SU and the county declined to appoint anyone to the mayor’s task force on the issue). Cuomo took the proffered $100 million in aid and gave it to the nearby Town of Geddes. And this ain’t even New Jersey!

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Joanie Mahoney?

• Macdog said, on February 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Syracuse deserved to lose just for wearing those hideous blue shorts.

25. blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Hi Flappers . . . Greetings from Vietnam! I hope you are all well and no doubt you are as stoked for the baseball and the Giants as I am. I just did another blog post . . .

Feel free to check it out and comment.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Dang! I was wondering why we haven’t heard from you.

• blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Hey there Pawlie. Hope you are well my friend. :-)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Doing okay; settling in to my bachelor-pad-retirement-home-terminally-exciting-haiku-ridden-zen-center-of- tantric-sex-inter-alia. Left you a note at your blog.

• DJLoo said, on February 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Hope you’re in the DMZ….

• Nipper said, on February 20, 2014 at 7:46 am

Most of my sneakers are made in Vietnam. Any deals there?

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2014 at 8:16 am

Nip, most of the stuff here is quite inexpensive. The only concern is that it may not be the real thing, i.e., having a high profile tag or label, but it actually is counterfeit or pirated. Not certain you can categorize this under “sneakers,” but I did get a deal on my 2 wisdom teeth being pulled. No, they didn’t use the old string and door knob technique either. I paid $135 for both to be pulled and they included a teeth cleaning as well.

• Chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 7:52 am

I cannot hit your blog from work (as I used to be able to do). Glad to hear from you, Steve. Was wondering where you were. Hope you are well, and hope you are representing by rocking some Giant’s swag. Will check in on your blog from the home front. Happy Trails, brother and don’t do anything that any of us wouldn’t do. Uh, yeah right…

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2014 at 8:11 am

Moi? Of course not Chi. Grin.

26. blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2014 at 5:28 pm

You should see me now. I’m in the midst of doing my morning exercises here – crunches and pushups . . . Umm, but I am laughing so much with regard to what you wrote just now, that I will have to take a 5 minute break on the crunches. ;-)

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 8:07 am

Good read on Law. Thanks for sharing snarkk.

• stixwiz said, on February 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

Thanx for the link, Snarkk. Yeah, that 45-1 K-BB ratio does kinda stick out like a brand new Bris. Law will own a lotta eyeballs this spring. Law and Hembree shaking the gates could develop into some intriguing quandries for the decision makers. It could go a ways towards ratifying the speculation several of us made over the past few months as to why SF did not go beyond Hudson in picking up pitching. There could be an overstock bin in the bullpen going into the opener. Tradewinds may blow up a stiff breeze.

There also may be a situation with Adrianza apparently outta options, where the Giants will have a surplus of utility infielders. A spare utilityman plus say, Kontos or Machi for a promising outfield prospect? Could well happen in a month or so.

With his quality performance late last summer Hembree has shown up on several radar screens as an up and coming bullpen presence. Add some Law enforcement prowess and my hope is that one of them gets the long neglected Fireman role. Say its the fifth or sixth inning and Timmy or Vogie gets into deep do-do with ducks on the pond and only one out ~ or maybe nobody ~ and you bring in a young hurler with a killer curve and pinpoint control and command. Full damage control. No blowout inning. Look back on last season at the number of instances when SF lost it in a runaway middle inning. Change those losses to W’s. Add tighter defense and more potent offense. See where i’m going? See you in October?

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 10:28 am

Very good post, Stix, and there isn’t much as far a “the possibilities” with which I disagree. October baseball…followed by a parade down Market Street. I’m on board.

27. Nipper said, on February 20, 2014 at 7:51 am

A guy I know went to Arizona and I bet he’ll check out spring training. He gets all wide eyed when thinking of the Giants. He gets excited when he sees Buster Posey even if it’s only from the stands. He’s no kid himself.

28. snarkk said, on February 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

Bryan Stow attackers sentenced. With time served, these POSs will be out relatively soon. Stow? He gets a life sentence…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm

No mention of restitution. These chumps will be in and out of the system the rest of their lives anyway.

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Yep, unfortunately, this will not be their last visit before a judge. The reported “smirk” of one during the proceedings confirms these two are scumbags…

• unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Plea deal. Right. Didja see the latest Fla stand-your-ground case where a guy shot and killed a kid for playing his music too loud in a gas station?

Unreal. He was charged with attempted murder for shooting at the truck, but not convicted for killing the unarmed driver. I guess the point here is don’t miss.

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

There is still a civil case against the Dodgers and previous owner Frank McCourt pending. Bryan will require around-the-clock care for the rest of his life. Someone (other than his family) needs to foot the bill on this. When I read about those fuckwads smirking at the judge and Stow’s dad, it just made me want to beat the living shit out of them. Scumbags don’t deserve to live.

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Superior Court Judge George Lomeli called the defendants “complete cowards,” telling them, “You are the biggest nightmare for individuals who attend public events.”

• wswin said, on February 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Would be fitting if they had to serve the time in a San Francisco prison…

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Disgusting human beings. Karma’s a bitch. Believe me when I say these two douche bags will pay a hundred times over what they did to Bryan. That’s how the Universe operates . . . Just a matter of time.

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Cool photos. Of all the sports, none start their season with as much optimism as baseball. The start of Spring, and the start of baseball, and fans of all 30 teams are feeling upbeat about their teams. Well, maybe not ALL 30, but pretty close. Marlins fans can be excused. :)

• stixwiz said, on February 20, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Re-emergence of baseball and the coming of Spring. What a pair. Beats a full house so far as i’m concerned.

29. willedav said, on February 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Interesting discussion on fangraphs re: Andrelton Simmons new deal with Braves. As is often the case, the comments afterward very insightful. One guy agrees with Flav on value to the team of locking up the young guys through arb years into late 20s, while another wonders about an overpay assuming continued improvement, and who it benefits. Good read!

30. Bozo said, on February 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm

So the Giant’s nickname for Morse is MCode? I like The Beast better, but MCode is pretty good.

• Alleykat said, on February 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Just like to see Morse launch a few balls into another “Zipcode” myself…

31. chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 1:55 pm

You know it is a slow baseball day when you are sharing updates on Woody (Kirk Reuter)…

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Ha. I just read this and was going to post. Don’t fuck with Timmy (and his lawyer). ;-)

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm

That should add back one MPH to his fastball. Getting $100K out of HER (the landlord) means this was a total sham lawsuit…

32. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I’m a little surprised to read Kent hangs out at the Giants ST camp. I thought he napalmed his bridges with the team on his way out.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers