Scutaro Back Up Plan, Stat!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 21, 2014

The Marco Scuturo situation is starting to irritate me. The last thing I want are any of our old guys burning up on the Spring Training circuit. I don’t care if he plays more than 5 or 6 games this Spring.

But his back seems as screwed up as it was last year. And as usual with the Giants, they aren’t saying much about what’s wrong with it. It’s time for a back up plan and Arias or Abreu shouldn’t be it. I like Arias coming off the bench and I don’t like Abreu at all.

If I’m Sabean, I call up Seattle and see what they want for either Nick Franklin or Brad Miller. One of them is probably going to end up at SS with Cano sitting on his 240 at 2nd base. I’m not sure if the Mariners would do a deal but it couldn’t hurt to float one out there.

All I know is that this Scut-back thing isn’t going to fix itself. And this team isn’t built to absorb any blows to it’s starting line up….

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 21, 2014 at 6:55 am

I’ve been thinking that the Giants can deal with issues in the starting rotation but 2b and CF staying healthy is the biggest challenge. Maybe SF pulls the trigger on the Cuban guy Diaz. It would be good insurance to have a guy that could take over SS if Crawford craters or 2b when Scutaro’s back inevitably gives out.

2. Bozo said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:33 am

Final back-up INF spot is between Noonan, Abreu and Adrianza. Abreu and Adrianza are out of options so I assume one of them will get traded, which is a drag given Scutaro’s back issues. I know Marco had surgery on his hand this off season, is that even 100% right now?

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:38 am

yes, his hand is fine now

• Alleykat said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:54 am

Sorry Clown, didn’t see your post well at least you knew his name..

3. John said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:36 am

I like the idea of either Franklin or Miller, both looked real good last year and Franklin has some serious pop for a middle infielder. Saw him hit a few bombs in Tacoma last season with a very quick bat. I just don’t see the M’s parting with either guy until they figure out exactly what they have. But having a middle infield of Crawford and Miller/Franklin would be nice indeed. Young and talented.

4. Alleykat said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:52 am

Guess they have the 3rd A workin out at 2B..Andrihana or whatever his name is.
    He’s out of options so he makes it or he probably picked up.I would go with your option BF, but Sabes won’t unfortunately…

5. twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:52 am

Abreu is decent in the field and nobody they’ll get ( without making a significant trade) will hit any better than Tony. He had 17 extra base hits in 138 ABs- nice pop. Not a long term guy for sure ,with his own health issues, but I think Craig is underrating him. One kid who might do is Adrianza, they’ll lose him if he doesn’t make the team. They’ve been working him at second base. If Marco opens on the DL they might try him there, he has made strides offensively the last couple years.
    IMO.

6. blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:59 am

Me? I want Dustin Ackley (also on the Mariners roster), who also can play the outfield. He did a total face plant last year, where he went back to the minors, but redeemed himself (somewhat) when he was recalled. Moreover, he was a stud as a 2011 rookie – on a par (actually outplaying) with another rookie 2nd baseman that year from Cleveland, Jason Kipnis. The Seattle Chapter of the Baseball Writers of America named him MVP of the Mariners roster that year. In my opinion, the Giants would have a better chance of trading for him after his down season last year.

7. gianthead said, on February 21, 2014 at 8:05 am

Bonifacio would have been a nice option…oh well

8. willedav said, on February 21, 2014 at 8:21 am

Defense at 2b would be more of a priority for me, and I’m not sure that’s Abreu’s best quality or position. Scuts (when healthy) can still hit but his 2b play was sub par; nothing wrong with giving Adrianza a shot, might turn out better than expected as a hitter. Other returning vet guys are the ones to carry big load offensively.
    I would have liked to see Sabes sign W. Bloomquist as RH platoon option for Crawford , but didn’t happen. Much as I dislike them, I think Melvin and A;s are onto something with platoons. Despite a few guys having down seasons like Cespedes Reddick and Young they scored a ton of runs in a not friendly home park.

9. Irish Kevin said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:10 am

And you guys wonder why I b!tch and moan about resigning old guys. Sure Scuts gave it his all for the WS. But with age comes less skills and Injury proness. (is that a word). I think everyone here and all Baseball Analysts have pointed out how weak the Giants farm system is. Seriously, the Giants cannot put a young guy out there that can field and hit as well as an injured Scuttoro?? Sad, really Sad.

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:17 am

They still like Panik but he’ll probably open in Fresno. But he is a guy who could force his way in with a big spring. I may be wrong ( surprise, surprise ) but I do think they’ll go with Abreu, at least as the first option.

• Irish Kevin said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:38 am

Well, that would be cool with me, maybe he will have some sort of a break out year. Bring up these guys and use them, I have never been a fan of platooning but if you don’t have an everyday starter, go for it. I would rather see 2 young guys out there competing than some old guy that is day to day.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:40 am

No, I think you’re right. I just don’t think he can play every day. Ackley, Miller or Franklin can play every day and have significantly more upside than Abreu.
        Panik isn’t even ranked in our top 10 prospects anymore so I don’t see where you get that management is still high on him

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 am

Pav had a chat yesterday and he seemed think that Panik would be the 2nd baseman if Scutaro was out Addressing a question whether Panik would be the guy if Scutaro was out:
        “.I think so … there’s not much in his way, is there? I talked to Joe for a long time today. He dropped some weight because he felt he was missing a little quickness last year. Still a really mature kid, with a nice swing and good feel for the game. He’s a guy to watch this spring.”
        I agree with Pavlovic (if Panik has a good spring). .

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

Baseball America ranks him 9th:
        “The Future: While some scouts think a Nick Punto-type utility role will be in his future, the Giants see a smart, contact-oriented No. 2 hitter in the mold of Marco Scutaro or Freddy Sanchez. Panik ought to get off to a cleaner start at Triple-A Fresno, and he could be in the big leagues in 2014 if the 38-year-old Scutaro needs relief.”
        Baggarly “…… I’m not sure if Panik can have Freddy Sanchez’s career, but I still think other than Mac Williamson he’s the only Giants prospect who played at a full-season affiliate last year that you don’t have to squint too hard to envision as an everyday big leaguer.” I presume that he talking about position players, of course.

10. snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

Scutaro’s had a bad back for 9 months, including an offseason, and it’s still apparently bad. Yet, I haven’t seen where the local sports scribes have actually asked anyone what specifically is wrong with it. If Scuts is a Yankee, the Daily News and the Post would have had copies of his last two MRIs with multiple opinions on prognosis and treatment…

11. snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

I’d go with whatever backup 2b is better defensively. Scuts with a bad back was sub par defensively last season, and it hurt. With Crawford at SS and a good glove at 2nd, that strength up the middle is a big boost to the pitching staff, particularly now with Hudson throwing sinkers, not Zito throwing home r, uh, flyballs. Scuts maybe comes in as a PH later in game, he’s patient at the plate, and obviously is clutch…

12. twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:40 am

I think they’d use one the internal options. We’ll find out soon enough.

13. stixwiz said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:47 am

So there’s a flashing amber light on Scutaro’s back. It is still early in S.T., though. Time yet to review internal options before pushing the panic button. Yes, the Panik button is one of the options. Let’s see how he does. Close watch on Adrianza too. Two years ago i was ready to erase him from the 40-man cussin onaccounta his powderpuff bat. Not so anymore. He has picked it up at the plate while his outstanding defensive skills remain undiminished. Third option is Abreu, whom Twin reminds us, has some pretty good pop, and like Adrianza, is outta options.

Possible trade with the Mariners also would hang on the development this spring of Hembree and Law and possibly even Cody Hall. As i noted yesterday, two hot young arms make the 25-man and there is a sudden need to trade a surplus middle reliever.

So my take is simple. Index finger off the panic button for at least two or three weeks. Let’s see what we have for internal options. Perhaps there will be no improvement in Scutaro’s back problems. If so, platooning could also be an option. This issue could loom large right around the Ides of March. Meanwhile, enjoy your Caesar Salad and enjoy the reawakening in the desert.

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:54 am

Adrianza is out of options so he’s probably on the 25 man if Scutaro is on the DL , so Panik would probably start in Fresno They can worry about long term if Marco looks to be out for an extended time. I don’t think.that a back up from outside in the plans short or long term.

14. snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 10:55 am

Agree with Stix, not a time to panic about Scuts. Not like he’s got Kent’s bat, if he can’t go. Anybody they put in there will be a defensive upgrade over a guy with chronic backitis, so that’s a plus to look at it that way. Everybody else hit so much like crap last season, maybe Scuts’ bat, when he was in there, looked overly important. Hopefully, that’s not the case this season…

15. twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 11:12 am

Live from camp, if it’s still going

16. Bozo said, on February 21, 2014 at 11:23 am

oops. twin already posted the link. Sorry about that.

I don’t know if you guys are watching the live streaming workouts (I could do without the talking head, they suck. Just let me hear the sound of the bat and the mitt pop). Torres was in street cloths chatting with Pagan, a kid named Dolis was bringing some heat. They interviewed Marco and he said he was feeling pretty good (shrug). Anyway, coaches are pitching BP now if you feel like checking it out.

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

Two links is a good idea. I’m sure someone disagrees with my link ;-)
      Hi John.. see ya in a few days maybe.

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Did you see Rafael Dolis throw? Looked to me like the guy had a lot of giddy up in his pitches. I guess he was considered to be closer material for the Cubs but they outrighted him last year (40 man roster move?). Another live arm in camp.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm

From Pav’s blog at the Merc.

— Santiago Casilla and Jose De Paula are headed here, which means the Giants will have their #FullSquad on the field this weekend. Both players were delayed by visa issues in the Dominican Republic but Casilla had kept in touch by sending videos to the coaching staff. There was just one problem: The last video he sent showed him throwing just one pitch during a bullpen session.

“We told him, we want your ‘pens going a little longer than that,” Bochy said, smiling.

Casilla is a goofy dude, on par with Belt.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm

What would we do without the always amusing, obligatory Spring Training “visa” issue?…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I’m surprised Casilla didn’t send video of his batting practice.

• unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2014 at 1:21 pm

lqtm

18. zumiee said, on February 21, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Every Olympics is good for hearing, at least once, a broadcaster say “She (or he) will remember this moment the rest of their lives,” as the athlete wins a medal.
    Yeah, unless they get Alzeimher’s, I’m pretty sure the athlete is going to remember the time when they WON A MEDAL IN THE OLYMPICS.

19. salty said, on February 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Bad backs have been confounding the medical profession since Hippocrates. Tricky to disgnose and trickier to treat. Preventing one from throwing their back out especially when they are running bending twisting etc is tough. I’ve dealt with my back issues for 25 yrs. Started in my 30′s. So I’ll be surprised if Scoots plays 100 games.

• unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Yeah, they’ve been bandying around the ‘s’ word with me regarding my back.

Don’t even want to think about that. I played tennis with a friend of mine a little while ago, and I could barely walk for 3 weeks.

20. salty said, on February 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Love to see Panik step it up ala Crawford, who didn’t hit AA pitching. Heck between Craw and Scutaro, who languished in the minors till he was 27, he should get plenty of encouragement.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Not to drag football back here, but apparently a trade was nixed by Jim Harbaugh that would have sent Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns for Cleveland’s first 2 picks in 2014 plus Josh Gordon.

Yowza. Contract ploy by Harbaugh, or is Baalke getting tired of Jimbo?

• Alleykat said, on February 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Yeah I heard that to Chuck.
      Baalke & Harbs don’t always see eye to eye that’s for sure.Tthough the usual plausible denial is in effect as Baalke basically sayin we’ve been good since day 1!!
      Btw,why would anyone want to coach in Cleveland anyway???Its not like Harbaugh can hand it off to Jim Brown every play.

22. Irish Kevin said, on February 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hey, Happy Birthday BF- Craig

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Thanks. About to go coach my girls bball team and then enjoy some a few Sam Adams and some fried chicken

23. blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I love this Bagg’s paragraph,

“Right-hander Eric Cordier (pronounced the French way) displayed a live arm if not the greatest control while facing hitters. Cordier’s jersey has drawn attention this spring, for more than one reason. First, his name was accidentally misspelled “COREIER” and he had to wear the mistake jersey for the first four days in camp while a replacement was on order. Also, he was issued Barry Zito’s No. 75, causing Lopez to walk up to him and say, “You have some big shoes to fill. You’re replacing the nicest guy in baseball.”

• unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Size 4′s?

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Give me $126 million, I guarantee I’ll be real fuckin’ “nice”…

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm

No shit. That buys a lot of “nice” from me too.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm

For $127 million and a personal tour of Bangkok “night spots”, I’d even be nice to you, blade… ;)

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I hope Mrs. Snarkk isn’t monitoring this blog. ;-)

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm

BTW, the Cordier name in Bordeaux is a famous family name; long-time wine negociants / distributors. Boch is into reds at the nightly post-game coach’s smoker, he should check out what this kid’s got in the cellar…

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

happy birthday, Magnus, if it is indeed such an anniversary

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:59 pm

thanks, Pawlie.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Yee Haw! Happy Bday, BF!!!

25. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Nothing gets me into the season more than a hot start – like in ’71 & ’03 and probably a few others that I don’t remember at the moment. Would be nice to see them really bust out of the gate. They don’t seem to do that too often. I see they come to NY for a weekend wraparound series at the beginning of August. That Monday afternoon game oughtta draw about 12,000. Good day to get great seats cheap on Stub Hub.

26. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Here’s an unbelievable stat I just heard. The 90-91 Sacramento Kings:

Home record: 24-17
    Road record: 1-40

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2014 at 8:01 pm

maybe their mascot was just really, really fucking awesome?
      Ralph Sampson was on that team.

27. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Do you still get excited about your birthday? That ended for me at 23. When I get birthday cards I read ‘em and shred ‘em within 10 seconds.

28. Raymond said, on February 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

scutaro’ back worries me…for all he did in 2012, have to say wasn’t impressed with his parade demeanor, think he’s more about himself than we think…sabes better be thinking solid backup plan…this team is ready to win it all again!

29. snarkk said, on February 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Spent 1/2 hour at a brew pub with a pint of Boddies, and watched some Lakers vs. Celts at Staples. Gawd. Horrific basketball. Nicholson and other folks pay to watch that sheeeeiiiit?…

• blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2014 at 6:16 am

I do like Marshall. He was going nowhere in D league and has done a great job (especially surprising FG%).

30. gianthead said, on February 22, 2014 at 8:47 am

Panik looked like the real deal seeing him play in Richmond. But I think he needs seasoning at AAA. If he cant hit there, then he is not ready for the big leagues. I am not sure he can come out of the gate in spring training.

I see him getting a shot to start in 2015…

31. zumiee said, on February 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm

To be fair, Snarkk, the Lakers and the Celts are two bad teams. I watched some of that game. It was as awful as you said, but there are much better NBA teams out there.
    The NBA is very popular with the younger folks, but we older folks can remember a better product in the past. Once in a while, the present-day NBA delivers the goods, but not as consistently as it used to.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers