Brian Cashman is Quite the Comedian

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 23, 2014

I know this is a Giants blog but baseball hasn’t really started yet.

Is Brian Cashman for real? Or is this just a big joke he’s playing Hal? If he doesn’t like Hal, then this HAS to be a joke. Four years/54 million for Brett Gardner? Are you KIDDING me? Cashman must have a thing for speedy guys heading into their 30′s. Cause he’s given Jacoby and Gardner 200+ million this off season. Think about that. 200+ million for 2 guys who can’t really hit, who have no power and who are getting slower every step they take in this life.

Cashman must be making a play for his job–like, “look, I signed everyone I could possibly sign. It’s not my fault they all sucked.” Nothing else explains this.

The Jacoby/Gardner signings make the Tanaka signing look like a slam dunk success…..

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on February 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Just me, but I’ve never even heard of this Brett Gardner dude and he’s going to make $12.5M per year for 4 years. His stats looks like average to me, which I wouldn’t sneeze at given the Giants recent history of OFers. But, still, that’s a lot of dough. Anybody still figure Panda’s worth under $100M, if a schmo like this gets $52M for 4 years? If I were Panda, I wouldn’t sign a dang thing until the season’s over, and I ripped through the NL pitchers. If he keeps “slim” all season, hits around 28 bombs, .315, 100 RBI and over .800 OPS with a solid defensive year, the mind boggles at what sized deal he could command from AL clubs…

2. blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Actually, a wonderful post Flavor . . . and more important, spot on with regard to Cashman’s lunacy. You play fantasy along with me and you’re more than aware of the fact that Garner sucked the year before last. He was waiver wire fodder all season. Jacoby is a joke contract too. Yeah, he wasn’t injured last year, but his MO says he spends more time on the disabled list versus the ball field. Regarding Panda snarkk, this is what pisses me off . . . Imbecilic signings like this by the free spending Yankees, make other MLB GMs and Owners gnash their teeth. Why? Simply because they have to raise the ante if they want to compete. Frickin’ hilarious. By the by, speaking of hilarious, I think I did a pretty good job on a new blog post about traffic and pedestrians in Ho Chi Minh City. Leave a comment if you liked it. :-)

3. willedav said, on February 24, 2014 at 7:17 am

Flav hit another nail on head with the Scut thread too. On fangraphs there was a column on LA and potential issues at 2b and bloggers were all over Mariners/LA deal to solve it.
    At the time I wondered if SF had overpaid to keep Pence, but that actually seems pretty sound compared to what’s happened afterwards.

4. gianthead said, on February 24, 2014 at 7:51 am

They announced the deal during my 8 year old’s little league tryout and I was flabergasted and had to yell out, “Is that 5 OFers now???” to the rest of the group of coaches…

5. Bozo said, on February 24, 2014 at 8:09 am

I didn’t understand this move at all. Maybe Brett was running next to Tanaka and he looked super, super fast.

• blade3colorado said, on February 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

Good one clown! :-)

6. blade3colorado said, on February 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

I’m surprised that Cruz signed an $8 million dollar contract with the Orioles. Seems like chicken feed (despite his suspension for juicing) in comparison to the scratch some of these other players are getting. Sort of dumb on his part too – especially after rejecting the Rangers $14 million dollar qualifying offer earlier in the off season.

7. chipower9 said, on February 24, 2014 at 10:45 am

Hey Zumie – how about that Shawn Colvin/Emmylou Harris/Wavy Gravy story?

I was busy as hell this weekend with house stuff (kitchen cabinets being installed, finishing my fencing project, etc.), so missed a couple of threads.

On Scoots – I think it is too early to panic. If he cannot go consistently, I believe it will be a platoon with Arias and Abreu or Adrianza, and am leaning towards Abreu getting that final utility spot.

8. chipower9 said, on February 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

RIP to Harold Ramis.

9. unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hell of a writer . . .

10. zumiee said, on February 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Here’s the story I made reference to on the “Colvin” thread:

I was at the Kate Wolf music festival in Laytonville, CA, a few years ago, and Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, and Buddy Miller were performing together for one of their sets. The MC at the festival is ’60s legend Wavy Gravy, who I think may be a part-owner of the ranch where the festival is held. (And other festivals are held there, too.)
    Generally, I kind of like Wavy; he seems to do some good charitable works, and can actually be a good MC, at times. He can be very funny.
    But he misfired on this particular occasion. In introducing the performers he got lost in a rambling story about being at a party one time where Emmylou was also attending. He said that Emmylou set her drink cup down, and left it, and he went over and picked it up, and proceeded to walk around the room telling people he had some of Emmylou’s saliva. He must have been high.
    Anyway, as he’s telling this story, the performers are waiting patiently in chairs at the side of the stage, and the audience could see them stoically enduring the story, not smiling; but of special note was the expression on Shawn Colvin’s face. She looked horrified. It was classic.
    Wavy bombed on that one.

11. snarkk said, on February 24, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Now the AZ legislature has put on the governor’s desk a bill that allows businesses to refuse services or sell products to homosexuals, if doing so somehow offends the business owner’s religious beliefs to serve a homosexual. This AZ government is just plain off the charts crazy, as in a Brown Shirts kind of crazy. I doubt if this bill is signed, Goodell will be too happy the SBowl next year is in Phoenix, especially since his brother is gay. I’m sure the Rose Bowl would be available at that time…

12. unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Corbin’s the guy who got a punctured lung from a piece of broken bat, right? Missed half a season or some shit?

• Bozo said, on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Yeah that was a couple of years ago, I think his last injury was his back.

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I just wish that Brian Cashman, Hal Steinbrenner, and all the delusional Yankees fans would stop by here and read this. (I believe Cashman resides in my hometown of Stamford.) Better yet if they don’t come here. We really wouldn’t want them to wise up. (The polar vortex is baaaaack! Help!)

• Nipper said, on February 25, 2014 at 2:58 am

I bet your heating bills are hellacious.

• Nipper said, on February 25, 2014 at 2:59 am

Here it’s 3 AM and no heater is needed.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Dennis keeping you warm?

14. Bozo said, on February 25, 2014 at 6:18 am

Smell the change. OK, I’m not a Philly fan but I’m loving these hats.

• willedav said, on February 25, 2014 at 7:41 am

That’s pretty funny. “If loving bacon is wrong I don’t wanna be right.”

In Cashman’s defense, look at it this way–he has an OF of Ichiro, Beltran, and Soriano, plus Jeter at SS so defensive metrics and range is gonna matter. Depending how many games Ells actually plays, guy could be in CF a lot too and likely outlasts all of above.

However, as a blogger pointed out in the MLBTR story about Gardner (whom Yanks fans seem to love, contract too) If Cashman was gonna keep him all along, then why sign Ells in the first place? He can play CF very well, so adding a corner OF/DH to go with Beltran etc. as a backup is a lot different than trying to replace Cano at 2b.
      The Yanks offer to Cano and M’s original offer weren’t that far apart except for length of deal. No way Ells replaces Cano’s bat; if Cashman had worked out a deal with Cano he never would have needed to sign Ells in the first place, nor obviously a 2b for years.

15. Will Clark said, on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Go yankees giants suck!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers