Bobbing and Weaving Through the Last Day of February……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 28, 2014

Still struggling to go baseball right now. Just saw an unreal stat:

Since 1968, five players have dropped 50 and recorded a 3/Dub at MSG: Stephen Curry, Lebron, ‘Melo, Patrick Ewing and one of my all time favorites, Bernard King. That is insane….

Throw me a bone. Anyone going to spring training? Besides Chi and his daughter? As rad as it is that they’re going it’s pathetic that so few Flappers are following him.

I am embarrassed to say that my mom has a 5 bedroom house in The Boulders and I have never been to spring training or cobbled together a group to go to spring training. And she wants me to come. She begs me to come and friends are always invited.  I always have something else to do. “Cats in the cradle shit”—-I guess.

It’s raining outside my window right now. I hate the rain but I love listening to it pitter patter on my roof.

I wonder how E-Adrianza did today?

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on February 28, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Shit, I’ve been close to going about 10 times over the years. Last time I was in Phoenix (Kathy’s biz trip) was 2 days after ST ended. That’s the closest I’ve been.

I’m sure we could fill up your mom’s house though.

2. snarkk said, on February 28, 2014 at 10:22 pm

FlapAZooza at BF’s Mom’s House! YESSSSSSSSS…
    Let’s get it done before the AZ legislature passes a law banning Flappers from going there!…

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2014 at 10:29 pm

BTW, I’m bringing my clubs if Moms has course privileges… ;)

• Flavor said, on March 1, 2014 at 6:50 am

it’s right on a course and she’s got a golf cart IN HER GARAGE. We could just drive out there and boom, we’re playing—and hope the marshall doesn’t kick us off for playing w/o a tee time!

3. zumiee said, on February 28, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I’m not going to make it to Spring Training this year (and have never made it to ST so far), but the MLB network spews out about 200 Spring Training games, so that’s something. No Giants games yet, although 3 Dodger games already. The thing of note in today’s Dodger game, IMO, was Joc Pederson’s opposite field homerun. This is an intriguing player. A talented outfielder prospect who couldn’t be more BLOCKED. The Dodgers have 4 high paid multi-year guys already vying for 3 starting spots. Injuries, of course, could change things dramatically, so we’ll see. Pederson remains a solid trade chip if the Dodgers want to go that direction.
    I wasn’t impressed with Guerrero, their Cuban secondbaseman. I don’t think he’s going to hit much, and who knows about his fielding. The Dodgers don’t know either. They were hoping to catch some more Cuban lightning in a bottle, but I don’t think it’s happening with Guerrero. But who knows.
    I also watched some of the other games. It’s easy to envy those people sitting in the stands, wearing shorts. And those people kicking back on those grass hills in the outfield. It’s somehow pleasing to see it, if only on TV.
    MLB network has been promoting tomorrow’s Yankee game. Tanaka’s going to pitch a couple of innings. Game starts at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

4. zumiee said, on February 28, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Schierholz batted clean-up for the Cubs today. If Nate is your clean-up hitter, your team sucks.

5. DJLoo said, on March 1, 2014 at 5:33 am

Not necessarily, Zum. I saw Nate hit clean-up and have a big game here in NY back in 2012. When Nate hits clean-up you win the WS.

• zumiee said, on March 1, 2014 at 7:57 am

6. zumiee said, on March 1, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thanks for the kind words about my Scully impersonation, folks.
    You all are very cool!
    —–
    Blade, thanks for the film reviews you posted the other day at your blog. I have to say I can’t remember a time when I’ve seen so few of the films that came out in a given year.
    The Academy Awards are coming up, and I’ve seen none of those films. I think the last film I watched was a DVD with my wife, “The King’s Speech.” And that movie came out several years ago. Oh well, we get to them eventually. :)

• blade3colorado said, on March 2, 2014 at 2:30 am

Thanks Zum . . . But my “thumbnail” reviews of the marathon movie session I had on my flight from Denver to Tokyo, Japan sucked some serious baloney poney compared to your outstanding book reviews. I think I was already delusional as well by the time I watched Star Trek in hour 11 of my interminable flight to the land of the rising sun. :-)

7. WilcoJoe said, on March 1, 2014 at 8:03 am

Went to Spring Training with my parents a couple times during High School. First year was the last year at the old Scottsdale stadium. I remember the first game I went to was a Saturday afternoon game against the Cubs. It felt like you were going to see your favorite team at the local high school. Chain link fence was all that separated you from the inside of the stadium, if you could call it that. Instead of built in concession stands, you had guys grilling burgers and sausages on an open flame. To this day, the best ballpark burger I ever had, was at that game. If I recall, all the seating was bleacher seating and the seats down the lines, were all first come, first serve GA. We scored a seat right behind the Cubs bullpen. The players sat on fold up chairs, with their backs against a three foot chain link fence. You could sit there and listen to them tell stories of what they did the night before. It was the coolest thing in the world for a 15 year old kid. I still have the ball from Rick Wilkens (at the time a minor league catcher with the Cubs and future Giant) that he tossed to me during the game. I remember how exciting it was to see my childhood hero, Will Clark in such an intimate setting. I have no idea who won the game, but I can tell you that at that moment, I was hooked on ST baseball. The next year, we returned to the new Scottsdale stadium. While it didn’t feel as cavernous as the ‘Stick by any means, it didn’t have that same “up close and personal” feel of the old yard.

I had the opportunity to hit several of the Grapefruit league stadiums, one year during spring break at college. My college roommate and I spent a week hitting as many games as we could. I think we went to about 10 stadiums in 7 days. Outside of Dodgertown, the Florida yards couldn’t compare to what I experienced in Scottsdale. When my boys get older, I look forward to taking them down to Arizona. It can’t happen soon enough.

• blade3colorado said, on March 2, 2014 at 6:42 am

Fantastic post Joe . . . Love these stories about “way back when . . . ” I’ve never gone to a Spring Training game, albeit, a few years ago, while visiting friends in Scotsdale, I had a chance. Amazing place, snowbirds stay until April 1st and then that entire area practically turns into a ghost town. You talk to the waitresses and they will tell you how important snowbirds and spring training is to the economy.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

My pops goes every year with a neighbor. He always invites me but I’ve never been. He’s got a golf cart in his garage too. It’s got the family name on the grill and a racing stripe.

Shame on you Big Flavor. You should go visit Mama Flav.

9. Alleykat said, on March 1, 2014 at 10:06 am

Boulders!!! Kicks Ass BF!!!
    Yeah the Flap nation would easily rock that place.No doubt, fill a few foursomes and party all- night!!
    “Home of Cowboys and Caviar”,
    “Where the old West meets the New.”

10. Alleykat said, on March 1, 2014 at 10:46 am

Not to brag, but what the hell…
    Mark Minicozzi my new ST one hit wonder,hit a “Bomb” yesterday and my 11:53 post yestrerday called it!!

11. DJLoo said, on March 1, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I always thought Spring Training is a vacation destination for retired people.
    I wonder how the whore situation is?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 486 other followers