Minicozzi is Back From Nicaragua

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 4, 2014

By now, most Giants fans (not in Vietnam) have heard about Mark Minicozzi and his improbable return back to, well, baseball in the United States. I wanted to see how he fared in the Nicaraguan Professional League and I’m not sure if I found the right league though I can’t imagine there are too many professional leagues in Nicaragua. The original NPL shut down in ’67 but was re-opened in 2004.

Finding their stats are on the internet isn’t an easy thing to do. Minicozzi didn’t dominant any of the obvious offensive stats. Someone named Yurendel de Caster hit .416 in 2012/2013 stamping himself as the “Ted Williams” of the NPL. He also won the triple crown that year blasting 13 bombs and 56 ribbies….

But enough about Yurendel de Caster…..

I’m sure the Minicozzi story is more of a big deal to Minicozzi and his friends and family than to anyone else. It’s a fun story to follow. He makes Voggy’s path back to the majors look like Will Clark’s fast track to the bigs back in 1986. But he will provide some nice, necessary minor league depth and he’s probably fine with that. Wait till he gets to meet Bonds. Imagine how blown his mind will be during that encounter……

About these ads

1. willedav said, on March 4, 2014 at 7:12 am

Listening to Bonds last couple years when he has been in booth with K and K you get the sense he really does want to help. I think he would bring his smarts and be a tremendous resource.
    In the Aaron bio, young guys like Ralph Garr and Dusty Baker marveled at how Aaron knew what pitches he was going to see before he ever got in the batters box. He knew how the pitcher was going to try and get him out, and even as his skills were eroding could still hit .250 with pop.
    A guy like Belt I definitely think BB could help. Now that he has shown he can do some things by the way he finished last year, the *book* on him might be different and he will have to adjust. I also think having played at ATT Bonds knows how the park plays,for day games and at night, and whether you are trying to use opp field or pull the ball. I’d love to see Belt pull a few more down the line and out the yard, and go deeper into LCF too when he is being worked away. And be selective enough to keep the OB up too.

• blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I forgot where I read this (help Pawlie), but Mays would psyche out opposing pitchers before the game during batting practice and occasionally, catch a fastball with his bare hands while in the batters box to illustrate 2 things: 1. He was fearless; and 2. There wasn’t a pitcher alive who could strike him out consistently and/or beat him.

Conversely, (and I have brought this up before) Larry Walker would sit out of most games against Randy Johnson. In short, he already lost before the first pitch was even thrown.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I did not know that Mays story. Tnx. Loo? You know it?

2. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 am

Remember Bonds talking about hitting in the run-up to All-Star Game years back. He compared it to CATCHING the ball in a glove, no less, as a way to illustrate waiting on the ball.

3. Chipower9 said, on March 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

I was surprised to hear that Bonds will be in camp for only two days (9th and 10th). The 9th my daughter and I catch a game in the Bum’s new yard, and on the 10th we see them play Da Cubs in Scottsdale. Hoping to make a Bonds sighting and snap off a few good picts.

I look forward to seeing how the regulars are stretching out, but moreso, seeing how the guys on the bubble are doing. I think the guy who could be a surprise to make the club is Derek Law. Not sure on how many folks radar he was, but supposedly the guys has great stuff. He is one guy I hope to see while down there.

And while it is early, as we progress towards the season, the stats will probably become more and more important. Here are the spring stats to date:

4. snarkk said, on March 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

Minicozzi’s defense is supposedly a little better than Edward Scissorhands. Nonetheless, good story, and he can hit some out of the park. At best, he’ll need to rent an apartment in Fresno…

• Alleykat said, on March 4, 2014 at 11:10 am

More like a trailer in Clovis…

5. salty said, on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 am

I say Bonds has little impact. Bam Bam says one thing, Kent says another, Bonds yet another. And ultimately the guy sticks with what he’s been doing since rookie ball. His natural born talent will take him as far he goes. You can’t teach hand-eye coordination and bat speed. Belt seemed to get more screwed up the more advice he got.
    It will be a fun week for everyone and maybe a little of Bonds strut rubs off.

• Alleykat said, on March 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Agree Salty,
      Same in Football,when the greatest WR ever Jerry Rice was willing to work with AJ Jenkins,and the dumbass refused to listen to him!
      Now he’s a “Bust” and the 49ers wasted a first Rd pick that kills compared to a 7-8 th rounder..

• snarkk said, on March 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm

One could argue that the AJ Jenkins busted pick cost the Niners the NFC title…

• willedav said, on March 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I’d disagree, tho I understand your point about hearing too many different things from different guys. Belt looked solid end of last year but I’d hope he can learn something from Bonds to incorporate into his situational ABs. I think Bonds would like to be helpful to those willing to listen. See how it goes.

And face it, Crawford is getting his ass handed to him by LHP, walking back to the bench 80% of the time. If he keeps doing * what he’s been doing since rookie ball* he’ll be out of a job or at the least no longer a regular.

6. zumiee said, on March 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Well, the mystery is solved about why so many Dodger games on MLB network Spring Training. The Dodgers new self-owned broadcasting company, Dodger-Com, or whatever it’s called, is broadcasting EVERY Dodger Spring Training game, so it’s easy for MLB network to link up with them and fill the schedule.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2014 at 12:54 pm

For those counting, there’s been about 8 Dodger games broadcast so far on the MLB network ST schedule, and zero Giants games so far. The first Giants game broadcast is coming up in a few days, I think.

• snarkk said, on March 4, 2014 at 1:39 pm

One reason also is that LA started camp early because of their trip to Oz, hence more games earlier than everybody else…

7. blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Mini Cooper . . . uhh, Minicozzi???? Who dat?

• snarkk said, on March 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it, blade. Snowball’s chance. But, if he gets a spot on the 25, we better start praying for miracles this season…

• blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm

If the season goes into the shitter, it’s even more imperative that Flav’s Mom hosts the next Golf Flapalooza Extravaganza in October.

• Chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:09 am

OK Steve, you threw me a curve there. Why October? I was thinking smack-dab in the middle of Spring Training next year.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Maybe it’s been noted, but I see that Guillermo Mota retired, from KC. I imagine he has two rings. I tip my cap to him. I’ll go so far as to say without him in 2010 we might not have made it. I liked him. All the best, Mr. Mota.

• chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:32 am

I agree Pawlie. Could care less how much children’s cough syrup he was pounding…the dude was a big piece of the puzzle in the Giants first World Series in San Francisco.

9. blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I have a new blog post . . .http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/vietnam-potpourri/

Enjoy! :-)

• DJLoo said, on March 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Around the corner is a big trip for me.

10. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:15 am

Most of us hear about (and some follow) the progress of the up-and-coming prospects in the Giant’s pipeline. I caught the morning piece with Krukow this morning and Crick came up in the discussion. Krukow said Crick was told coming into camp that he would not make the team (no surprise…I don’t thank any knowledgeable Giant fan would expect that). But what did surprise me was Krukow mentioned that the Giants will not rush him, as he needs to build arm strength due to some previous arm injuries. I was not aware that the kid had any past arm issues. They say he looks great and his stuff is excellent. I am hoping like hell to see him in some game action while down there.

So, does anyone have info on his past injuries?

11. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:29 am

Well, I found a couple of sites that had info on Crick’s injuries. The only thing I found was an oblique from last year. Here is a nice little piece on him (and an interview) from Monday.

12. blade3colorado said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:39 am

@ Chi . . . Because if the season is a face plant, I’m not certain we can all last until Spring Training, thus the suggestion for October. Besides, much cooler then in Arizona. ;-)

• chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:11 am

Blade – I would rather shoot for an in-season game for the next Flapalooza (similar to what we did for the last), and then plan one for ST next year. Whatever goes down…I am good with it. Keep on Flappin’! How’s life in the Republic of Vietnam?

• blade3colorado said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Doing well Chi, but something is about to fall off from overuse. ;-)

13. SanDawg said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’m a couple days late and a few dollars short, but wanted to chime in on the Willie Mays catching a pitch bare-handed story at the top of the thread. I heard Steve Stone tell that story back in the day when he was on the Cubs’ telecasts. I believe he said Willlie challenged any pitcher on the Giants to throw a fastball from the mound and he’d catch it bare-handed, and that Stone saw him do this on several occasions.
    I don’t care if its Zito or Sam McDowell, that WOULD be impressive as hell to witness.

• blade3colorado said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:58 am

Thanks SD . . . I knew I wasn’t delusional or losing my mind about seeing this somewhere. I thought WTF? That is amazing if true.

14. willedav said, on March 5, 2014 at 8:59 am

Wow, saw that Commander Cody and band are in town to play at Yoshis. Must have been 40 yrs ago I saw them at GAMH over on O Farrell in the “Lost in the Ozone” days. I know they lost the drummer, hope rest are still good.

15. Irish Kevin said, on March 5, 2014 at 9:26 am

Everyday Scutaro does no play this year justifies my rants for not giving old dudes contracts over 1 year. Giants gave him three, basically they are paying him to be a coach for the young guys. Waste of good money. IMO, Flav can we get a “guess how many Games” Scutaro will play in this year. My prediction is less than 90 games

• salty said, on March 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

If it helps, think of the money as a well deserved bonus for 2012.

• zumiee said, on March 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

The Giants wouldn’t have gotten Scutaro for 2013, if they’d only offered one year. That’s a factor. Other teams were interested in him, too. I’m not going to second-guess the signing. That’s just typical blog stuff. I don’t remember anyone on this blog saying Scutaro would be injury-plagued in 2013. Nobody was expecting the wheels to fall off that fast.

• SanDawg said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:12 am

…and he still hit .297 in just under 500 AB’s. Yes, he missed some games and his fielding was a concern, but it was far from a totally awful season.

• chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hey Kev – it is a concern we all share, but calm down. The schedule the team has Scoots on right now has been well planned by the Giants’ trainers. They knew (and publicized) early on that he would play very sparingly in ST. It is more important for him to take the time and get in the best shape he can be than to be plaing in ST games, IMO.

That money is water under the bridge regardless of how much he plays. With what he did in helping the Giants win it all in 2012…I am all good with it. Much like I am all good with Zito based on his one kick-ass performance in game 5 of 2012 NLCS.

16. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:06 am

WillieD – I last saw Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen back in the late 70s in the City (Last Chance Saloon?). I am not sure of the make-up of his current band, but I know Bill Kirchen (guitarist during the Lost Planet Airmen days) has his own band and tours regularly (I saw them a couple of years back at Hardly Stricty).

All I remember is that they put on one hell of a show.

A fine cover of one of my favorite Lowell George songs…

Intro from the current web site…

17. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:07 am

Oops…sorry for the duplicate (cannot edit from work)…

Here’s the cover of Willin’

18. unca_chuck said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:19 am

Shit, saw Commander Cody at Frost in ’76 (?) when they opened for the Dead. Great show.

Except for the clown next to me who yelled out “St. Stephen” about 4,000 times during the Dead’s set.

19. salty said, on March 5, 2014 at 10:21 am

It may also help to keep in mind they won in 2012 despite the 12m owed to a retired Rowand and 11m to a useless Huff.
    Not to mention overpaying for a 5th starter in Zits and a mid reliever in Timmy. ;)

• chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 11:01 am

Good points, Salt. It is all a matter of perspective.

Hey, has anyone heard from Twin? I need to shoot him an email and check his blog. I have not seen him here for some time.

20. Irish Kevin said, on March 5, 2014 at 11:24 am

Maybe I am just jilted, due to the fact I don’t get that kind of scratch for doing a good/great job. I get a nice pat on the back and a thank you, now get your ass back to work.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

most don’t even get that!

• Irish Kevin said, on March 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Ha ha

21. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Nice start for Cain today (vs. Jared Weaver). 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 Ks. Starters should start stretching it out past 3 innings next week. So far most of the starters have looked good in their initial work.

Giants up 2-0 on RBIs by Pablo.

• ewisco said, on March 5, 2014 at 1:54 pm

SP’s have one walk after 13 innings pitched.

• snarkk said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Good news…

• stixwiz said, on March 5, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Pretty pumped about the way the Rotation has rotated through these first few games. Outstanding performances in short bursts. Sagging starters, most particularly Cain, was what ultimately resulted in the team’s nosedive beginning with that Toronto trip out in mid-May.

Is the excellence a preview of coming attractions? May be a bit early to tell for sure. However, should they keep it up and with some strong bats from 3-7 and good performances to date by some of the kidz, we could be looking at a team which (barring major injuries and such) could be strong from the last day of March through the end of September.

Good signs so far this Spring.

22. salty said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm

That is encouraging.
    However, who goes up looking to walk in ST? Especially a young hitter. If I’m a minor leaguer, I’m going to be hacking! ;)

• chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

If I am a minor leaguer, I am going up to the plate and do everything I can to get my ass on base. If that means taking a BB on a regular basis, so be it.

23. salty said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Maybe I got that backwards…Brown and Perez lead the team in walks.

Encouraging to see those guys along with Adrianza hitting.

24. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Brown leads the club with 3 BB. Perez is tied with 5 others (Hicks, Kieschnick, Mincozzi, Morse, and Pence) with 2.

Brown and Perez both hitting .429, but Perez has twice the ABs (14 to 7), and he also has the better slugging percentage and OPS. If Perez keeps it up through spring, he will almost certainly lock-up that last OF spot. I have liked his from the get-go and am pulling for him.

I like what Adrianza is doing at the plate, but the thing he has going against him is that throughout his career, he has only played SS. Abreu (who I see as his chief competition at making the club) has played/started a number of games at 2B, SS, and 3B.

25. chipower9 said, on March 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hey Blade – do they serve Minicozzi in Vietnam? If so, how is it served? Maybe as a side with a hot dish of the Vietnamese delicacy SumYungChick, and a hot cherry bendover for dessert…Hmmmm…No Fooling.

• blade3colorado said, on March 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm

;-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers