Spring Boring

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 10, 2014

I admit it, I am one of the weirdos. I like the clock switching twice a year. I live in California, we really don’t have seasonal change. An hour forward or an hour back? That’s as good as it gets out here when it comes to change. Plus, I’m awfully good at remembering “spring forward, fall back” so I’m never in danger of being 2 hours off the pace of society. That shit counts when you’re walking the earth with other people.

I read something today that said there is an uptick in heart attacks on the two days a year we have a time switch. To that I say, “So long, old friend.” If the time change sends you into cardiac arrest, you are either a hampster or someone that was gonna get picked off sooner or later anyway. Might as well be the clock changing that takes you out…..

What I don’t like is spring training. I enjoy hearing Jon Miller’s voice the first time I happen to catch a game in early March, but that novelty wears off in about 5 minutes. There is NO REASON for 7 weeks of spring training. Sure, back when ballplayers had to work second jobs it was a necessary thing, you needed 7 weeks to get back in shape. But today’s ballplayer comes to camp with ass cheeks tighter than a giant rubber ball band. They’re good to go on day 1. The pitchers need a few weeks to get their arms going but they don’t need seven weeks.

There is one, single reason that spring training continues to be 7 weeks: money. Everyone makes a shitload of money. If they could pull it off, owners would make spring training 30 weeks. Seven weeks is nearly a third of the regular season. Think about that…..

I could care less about spring training. I’ve got twitter to update me on injuries and that’s the only thing I care about when it comes to spring training. Wake me up when the games start to count……

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on March 10, 2014 at 5:57 am

I concur……spring training stories are very tiresome. So many puff pieces! I guess they call it human interest.

• Nipper said, on March 10, 2014 at 5:58 am

I how many times can you read some player is a nice guy and he has a good-looking wife that of course he loves dearly……all nine of his kids too.

2. Bozo said, on March 10, 2014 at 6:54 am

Maybe so Flav, maybe so. I was watching the game yesterday, Giant, Dodger game and… I got bored. I got to see how Pablo looked and also that Buster looked like hefted a few weights this winter too. Tried to get a good hate on for Kershaw going and couldn’t. I also got to a point where I couldn’t stand to hear anymore of Vin Scully’s yammering (MLB had the LA feed), so I turned it off. Spring Training is a money racket, fun as hell to be there and I do enjoy seeing some of the kids play but it’s kind of tough for me to get all fired up about it lately. I’m not sure if this has been happening to me for awhile or if it just started this year. Whatever, wish I was there but since I’m not, I’ll go clear some brush instead.

3. willedav said, on March 10, 2014 at 7:38 am

I imagine it’s great fun to be down there but otherwise I’m with flav on this. I’ll care about the kids when they get to mlb level, and you can see if they are prospects or suspects. In the meantime if you want to argue about who is 5th OF/backup to backup IF/last long guy in the pen, knock yourself out.
    Pav’s blog, which does have some of this stuff up for discussion, had interesting section on Gary Brown, who apparently has some issues with Giants instructors etc. I like Pavs, but bloggers here are a better read.

My godson, local kid who is now transplanted Pads fan in SD, is gonna hit ST next weekend for a couple games. According to his Mom he is after ST gear, etc. Never knew there was such a thing as special ST only hats and more. But, like Deion said, “It’s all about money.”

4. Alleykat said, on March 10, 2014 at 8:58 am

Yeah agree Flav, ST just like football are both too long. In football you have the draft in April, well now May and they don’t come to camps till July,and then dick around and have 4 preseason games to jack all the extra scratch out of fans who don’t even want to go,and start the season in late Aug, just way to long!
    Me I like spring forward always, work day seems faster,and there’s still light till 8:30,so you can get more things done like mow a lawn or go play 9 holes after work with some buddies!

5. pawliekokonuts said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:02 am

Yup. all about the cash, and we don’t mean Johnny. Not even Dave anymore. (You’re a good writer. I enjoy your musings. I respect how hard it is to write about something almost daily, even boring stuff.)

• stixwiz said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:06 am

Amen on that take, P.K. Thank goodness Flav has the gumption and fortitude to keep at it on an almost daily basis right on through the year. Like Garcia’s gang, we are grateful.

6. stixwiz said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:02 am

Flav: You are a voice for California in this ~ and maybe fairly typical in that lack of seasoning as you point out. Up here in the far-flung fringes of the Great Northwoods, a couple hundred miles south of Winnipeg where at latest count close to 900 homes have frozen water-pipes; Spring Training is a whole nother matter. It’s a sign of hope. A sign that Winter does not last forever and that -30 degree temperatures are not the norm across the planet and that somewhere, somehow, there is a place salubrious enough at this time of year to hear the old cry “Play Ball!”

That all said, we have begun to emerge from our caves up here with 9:50 thermometer reading at 38 ABOVE zero and rising. Sun is shining and live baseball somehow seems more real

7. pawliekokonuts said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:03 am

Listening to POET: A TRIBUTE TO TOWNES VAN ZANDT. Damn!

• WilcoJoe said, on March 10, 2014 at 5:27 pm

One of the best tribute albums of all time.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:03 am

p.s. I think the time change is utterly moronic. And it does not save one watt of energy.

• zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:19 am

What a lot of people don’t know is that the lobbyists who got Congress to pass the Daylight Savings act were representing corporations such as the BBQ charcoal makers, golf equipment makers, etc. Industries that would benefit from more daylight in the summer. Lobbyists, of course, offer the members of Congress cash for re-election campaigns. I think one of the most surprising things to a lot of people is how relatively easy it is for the wealthy to buy a member of Congress’s vote.

• zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

Anyone remember the American people being asked by Congress if they wanted Daylight Savings?

• snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

Congress doesn’t ask what anyone wants other than the people/companies/lobbyists/PACs that pay for their campaigns…

• Bozo said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:33 am

I thought the farming industry had the most to do with it originally, no? But I see your point, other interest groups saw the cash and jumped on board. Hell, haven’t they even extend it the damn thing.

9. snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

I’d go with a week cut from Spring Training. That would still be long enough for the starters to stretch out safely. And, give the ST economy plenty of time to make money. There are worse things. Like pre-season NFL football. That’s way worse, and way too long, and you have to pay full boat for tickets to games worse than ST baseball in terms of the stars playing much…

10. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

Pawlie’s absoutely right that the way Congress “justified” it was by claiming it saved energy somehow.
    It doesn’t.
    But having said that, I don’t mind it. Although, it’s annoying to change all those clocks, trying to get that nail into the little hole in the back of the hanging clock.

11. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:27 am

I don’t mind the length of Spring Training. I think it makes people really anxious for the start of the regular season, and that’s part of its purpose. It’s like the opening band at a concert.
    Speaking of concerts, did anyone else see that Dateline special last night about the stage that collapsed at a country music concert in Indiana a couple of years ago? It was a relatively traumitizing bit of television. How many of us have looked at those outdoor concert stage scaffoldings and wondered in the back of our minds….
    That’s true horror to see it really happen.

12. snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

Barry Bonds arrives shortly. The sports media Bondsasm will be epic. In the age of twittertwaddle, how long before we see the usual Bay Area media suspects (those still employed anyway) publishing new-angled hit pieces on him? Hopefully by mid-week it will be a semi-non-story and the boys can just get back to hitting drills, taking grounders, and jumping jacks (and Jills)…

13. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

OK, I’ve officially given up trying to understand how MLB network does their ST schedule. Some of you were able to see the Giants game yesterday. It didn’t show at all on my TV. I guess MLB does some regional scheduling. And for some reason, my area didn’t get the game.

14. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:48 am

Speaking of Congressional B.S…..there’s oil company B.S., too: Gas prices up 20 cents a gallon because of…..the Crimean crisis. How oil companies can even say stuff like that with a straight face is amazing.

15. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 9:51 am

Gas prices up 20 cents a gallon because of Parliamentary election results in Slovakia.

16. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

And regarding players’ readiness….I’ve seen a lot of fielders botch plays in ST. I think they need a few weeks to get their timing down on defense, especially fielding grounders.

• zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 10:04 am

And Belt airmailed a throw like we’ve never seen.

17. Bozo said, on March 10, 2014 at 10:16 am

Here is some spring training fun, Nowhitey and Nate the great are listed for the Cubs in today’s starting line-up. The Cubs have Dirty in camp, I wonder if he’ll get in the game? Instead of playing the all futures team (or whatever the split squad team was called yesterday), they’ll be playing the all past team.

18. salty said, on March 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

I usually don’t watch or listen to ST games. April comes soon enough. But I do think its interesting to see who surprises and makes the team.
    They could probably cut it by a week but teams do need time to effectively decide the final 25 and to better gauge their top prospects development. Chance to get a good look at young guys like Law and Escobar.

19. Alleykat said, on March 10, 2014 at 11:52 am

Brandon Hicks won’t get a gig except Fresno, but that was an impressive bomb he hit off of Kersaw yesterday!

20. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

ST is cool for getting to see prospects you’ve been reading about. I was curious about two outfield prospects from other teams: the Dodgers’ Pederson and the Cards’ Tavarez. Pederson has looked impressive, the Cards’ Tavarez not so much, and Tavarez has pulled a hamstring and will be out for a while.
    The bad news for Pederson is that he’s completely blocked from the majors at the moment by 5 Dodger outfielders. The Dodgers probably want him playing everyday in AAA anyway. He’s the kind of outfield prospect we wish the Giants had in their system. He could be serious trade-bait when the Dodgers need someone mid-season.

21. zumiee said, on March 10, 2014 at 12:42 pm

We angst abut the Giants’ secondbase situation, but the Dodgers are not settled there, either. They have 3 guys trying to nail down that spot.

22. salty said, on March 10, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Right now
    Posey Belt Craw Panda Morse Pagan Pence Sanchez Arias Blanco Abreu
    Bum Cain Hud Tim Vog Romo Lopez Casilla Affeldt are locks. Scoots would be 21 If he’s not on the DL.
    So they have 4-5 roster spots still up for grabs, with Perez looking good for the 5th OF spot and Petit likey for long relief. That leaves 2 pen spots with Law Hembree Machi Kontos Huff maybe Dunning Loe and Runzler in the mix…
    If Scoots is dl’d, they have Noonan Adrianza Hicks to choose from in less than 3 wks

Is that accurate?

23. salty said, on March 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm

What makes it a less interesting ST is the fact that they start with a set
    Iineup.

24. Irish Kevin said, on March 10, 2014 at 2:37 pm

At this point Sprong training is not going to change, not with people out of jobs and the economy and all. Could you image what the Gov of AZ would say to Bud if Bud came out and said spring training is going to be two weeks long. oh that would go over well.

A question for every one. if they did make Sping training 2 weeks and then started the season the first week of March would all of you go for that??

• snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 2:45 pm

No. 3 weeks, start the reg. season the first week of April like we used to do. No expanded wild card, cut back to 154 or 158 games, end the WS in mid-October. I could do with having only 18 games with the Pads, not 19…

25. Alleykat said, on March 10, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Well they really do need to shorten the season like you said Snarrk 154 maybe less cause with 40 plus ST games, playoff games if your fortunate with all going the max per rounds and the W/S for all the enchilada the 2 finalist are playing close to 230 games in a season!!!
    Shit no wonder it’s so hard for a team to Win back to back titles!
    Good for us this year though since we’re every other year!!😃

• snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Yep, Kat, 200+ games for playoff teams is a lot of wear and tear, especially on pitching arms, even though teams use a lot of minor league no names to pitch a lot of the ST innings. Thinking of all that reminds me that Scuts’ back is really a dicey situation…

26. snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 3:05 pm

IMO there are only two good reasons now, with offseason training regimens so strong, to have 6 weeks of ST. First is for the clubs to have essentially all their MLB and minor league players and coaches in one place, at one time, so that comprehensive evaluation and discussions can be made regarding the status of the organization from top to bottom. Email and videos only go so far; seeing players live is still key to evaluation. Second, having all the minor leaguers available to play against one another and MLB talent gives the scouts plenty of opportunity to get a ton of info on lots of players. Having all these clubs and players playing in such a small area as Phoenix metro, playing all those games and doing all that practice, is a godsend for scouts to develop a ton of data (within a short time frame and minimal travel hassle) that will be a big help to front offices in future trade talks…

27. Flavor said, on March 10, 2014 at 5:44 pm

They aren’t going to ever shorten the season but I could see it starting a week or 2 early. The owners make $$$$ with spring training but not so much that they wouldn’t give up a week or two. It’s really more for the local economy anyway. And the benefits of shaving off a week or two at the end of the season just for weather purposes will probably be impossible to ignore pretty soon.
    I appreciate the kind words from some of you. This off season has been a grind. The bottom line, for me, is that the blog has always been sort of a therapeutic thing for me. It’s one of the only times in the day that I’m alone and don’t have someone needing something from me.
    But this off season, for whatever reason, it’s been a grind. I think we’ve just hashed out so much shit over the years, you can only go over the same stuff so many times (although I will always need Loo to remind me of the name of that meathead bouncer friend of his :) ).
    Plus, Twin is blogging at Pav’s blog now and he always kinda greased the wheels here. I read it from time to time– to many guys posting pics and not saying much (IMO). I’m hoping he comes back when the season starts. Haven’t heard anything from him about that but my gut says he’ll be back by opening day at the latest…….

• snarkk said, on March 10, 2014 at 5:57 pm

BF, if you want, take a break for the next few weeks before the season starts, enough of us Stable Boys or whatever the hell we are can pick up the slack with some threads in the meanwhile. R & R is always a good thing. Just say the word…

• Flavor said, on March 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

“Word”. And by that I mean if it’s past 6am and I haven’t done anything (I usually churn this stuff out before that) then feel free to go to town. Send the word out to the Stable Boys. We’re gettin’ the band back together. :)
        If you take out all the “mission from God” nonsense (of which I am not a card carrying member), this is about the way I see The Stable Boys cobbling together another run. If you all should be so moved…..

28. willedav said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:37 am

A tale of two writers…Chron has a nice story by Shea about Bonds around the batting cage, and his openness with players. They also have a hit piece by Killion on front page where she spends most of her time bringing up all the negativity that surrounds Bonds.
    Shea talks about Giants LH Belt sando Crawford, Posey chatting up Bonds, Meulens welcoming him.
    Even Kent the day before was cool about it and talked about how Bonds dad helped him.
    Sending Killion to do this is like asking the Koch bros about a Pelosi press conference. She’s made no secret about her feelings about Bonds and HOF; during a televised CSNBA conference on this she was embarrassing and made Ratto look good, no easy task.
    Real story to me would be: what does Bonds hope to do? Any input pre-visit from mgmt.? And would he be open to sitting in dugout during reg season or coming back in another capacity?

29. pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:37 am

I agree with Snarkk. It’s time for you to call upon the Unstable Stable Boys. I believe I have “writer’s rights” now.

30. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2014 at 9:15 am

“Are you men with the police?”

No, ma’am. We’re musicians. We’re on a mission from God.”

“You’re going to look pretty funny trying to eat corn on the cob with no fucking teeth!”

One of my all-time favorite movies.

A slice of R & B heaven with John Lee Hooker, James (do you see the light?) Brown, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway, Blue Lou, etc.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:22 am

new thread up, for what it’s worth

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers