Angling for Bask

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on March 11, 2014

The point of spring training, or spring break, for that matter, is: hope springs eternal. (With spring break, the hope is that one’s sprong sproings eternal.) Hope springs eternal. That means whether you are a Cubs fan, Astros fan, Yankees, Red Sox, or — wait for it — Giants fan, you indulge in hope. You go for the lie. You fall for the bait, the lure. You believe in the shiny bauble that says, “We can win it all.” You’re angling for bask. The ironic thing is, to be honest, I sort of gave up that sort of childish hope years, decades, ago. Sure, sure, we could win it all. But did I really believe that in the spring, in March? Unlikely. And then, when IT happened, TWICE, it was still an infinitely sweet surprise. The double bask made me a believer in this sense: the God (or Goddess) of Surprise still has some tricks up his (her) toga. It could happen again. Despite all odds. It could. Hope springs temporal.

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:54 am

That new, male virility drug? Cialsproing…

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:57 am

that’s almost like a BBOTD comment, eh?

2. zumiee said, on March 11, 2014 at 12:43 pm

One of the things I dig about baseball is how each season is such a journey. Like some long novel unfolding before our eyes. Each game its own chapter. I’ve seen people who weren’t baseball fans who finally “got” it, and became devoted fans. Maybe being older gave them the perspective. I do think something that has been a big help for new fans are the new big screen TVs, with high def. The game looks better on TV than it ever has before. It’s still better in person, but the TV presentation has gained ground.

3. Macdog said, on March 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Pawlie coming in from the ‘pen — is this known as Bask-relief?

4. Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Pawlie– thanks for the thread. I think Snarkk is doing one tomorrow.
    I’m not really a *hope* guy. If my team sucks I tend to go into the season knowing about where we’ll finish. I know, “buzzkill” huh?
    I could see the Giants doing well this year. If everyone stays healthy, I think they’ll be right there all year.

5. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Bask fishing for dummies?

6. pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Based on these Comment totals, I’m just not fecking provocative enough, you fecking fecks.

7. blade3colorado said, on March 11, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Bullshit Pawlie. You are eliciting comments from foreign countries, proof that at least 1 Stable Boy still has it. Ironically, Flavor takes a break after he writes one of his funniest threads EVER. ☺

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 pm

and comments from alt universes

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:47 pm

ha, thanks. Wrote that one at 3 in the morning when I couldn’t sleep. I hope you’re doing ok on your trip. You pick up any leads on #370 or are you too distracted with all the fucking? LQTM

• blade3colorado said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:58 pm

“#370?” Flavor, I am drawing a blank – what are you referring to?

Life is good here. Unlike any country I’ve Been to. Will regret leaving on the 26th.

Well, that post was awesome on so many levels (spot on regarding ST being way too long for the reasons you cited); and, hit my funny bone a number of times.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:30 pm

The Malaysian airliner that is still missing. Go back to fucking, you’ve spent too much lost time already reading this post. :)

• blade3colorado said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm

OK, yeah I know about that (and praying for families and survivors), but didn’t connect the “Flight number 370.” Tragedy.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 pm

hey, big four-alarm fire near AT&T; BIG.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm

five-alarm now; I am getting nervous reading this

9. pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 pm

NBC Bay Area says six alarms now, whatever that means.

10. Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:40 pm

huge fire that’s going out now. The building, which was huge, finally collapsed. It was a 4 acre rental property that was set to open in May.

11. snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Good Splash report today. Maybe Bonds can help Crawford — he’s hitting like a pitcher so far…

• Macdog said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hudson had 2 hits today, I wish Craw was hitting like a pitcher.

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Ha. Good one Mac. Maybe Hudson will inspire his starter comrades to actually hit something this year, like a pitched ball better than at a .100 clip…

12. snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

If Crawford continues to wield a wet linguini bat, what about Adrianza taking his spot and starting at SS (his best position), and Craw goes on the DL, with Abreu taking his spot? That way, the decision on who leaves of the two (both are out of options) is deferred until further review. Too crazy?…

• blade3colorado said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:17 pm

No. I think Crawford improves or sits this season.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hey, he just had a second kid, let’s let him bank some dough before we release him. :)
      I’d be down with a platoon with Crawford, I think that’s a definite possibility if he keeps not hitting. But his defense is hard to pass on. If you’re bored and want to read something cool (with gifs to keep your interest) check this out

13. DJLoo said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Or trade Crawford and Belt to the Mets for Murphy, Tejada, Davis and a good young pitcher.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:35 pm

that good young pitcher better be REALLY good because the booty you’re getting back is underwhelming.

• willedav said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I’ll admit there is a long way to go for Belt to reach Keith Hernandez level upside, but there is also a long way to go for Ike Davis to equal a major league level 1b.

• DJLoo said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Maybe Duda instead of Davis. I love when we trade with the Mets. D. Wayne Lukas won some big races with a horse named Duda about 20 years ago out west…

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm

If you watch Ike Davis swing from the side, he’s about 800 moving parts and none of them are connected. He’s got one of the worst swings I have ever seen. He must have the worst hitting coach in history. When he runs into a ball it goes a long way. More often than not, he does not run into the ball. Usually, he’s in danger of running into himself–mid swing.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:12 pm

puhleeeez, no Ike Davis. keep that name for a 1950s jazz trio featuring BUZZSAW RODRIGUEZ

14. Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I like Jim Barnett but I’m not sure he could have fucked that spontaneous Monta Ellis interview up any worse. Too bad, that was very cool of Monta to come over to the booth during warm ups.

15. DJLoo said, on March 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Jim Barnett could play a little in his day…

• unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, those were the days. Saw him pay a lot back in the day. I always tried to his little up and under move under and around the bucket.

• unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm

But yeah, he completely gacked that deal with Monta.

16. Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:04 pm

“Angling for Bask” is one of the top 10 headlines ever for a thread here at the Flap.
    Loo–I love Barnett, he’s retiring after this season. I’m bummed. He’s 70 and he acts 20. But he butchered that Monta interview.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Heh heh my best work is on deadline, and we had some dead air here. Tnx for that! In my years as a copy editor at The Post-Standard I wrote heds. Macdog may write them now, as well as Unca and Chi. G’night, girls. (Which reminds me: we need Tedspe to chime in, yeah, yeah, as well as Twin, MrMrMrBillBillBill, Ferret, SanDawg, Sportsdude, Paulinasia, Eddddddacker, and a dozen or two more.)

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:22 pm

yes, all those guys. Come back. Ball games are coming.

• James said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I share your appreciation of MrX2BillX2l, PK. He has been absent at least a season or two, it seems.

17. DJLoo said, on March 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Why can’t some of you guys get your kids or co-workers to post here? We need a youth movement and some new blood here for the new season.

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm

If you want to hear the latest about One Direction, I’ll get the Snarkkettes on the job…

• blade3colorado said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I am trying to explain my love for Giants baseball to some of the women I have met in Vietnam, but something gets lost in the translation. For some reason, this never happens when discussing sex. ;-)

• James said, on March 11, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Do they dig the long ball or not?

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Discussing sex? What are you doing, taking classes?… ;)

• blade3colorado said, on March 12, 2014 at 12:08 am

James, I am going to guess yes.

18. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Dubs putting the hurt to Dallas. Got another tough game tomorrow vs the Clips.

19. snarkk said, on March 12, 2014 at 12:39 am

New thread up…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers