Those 1971 Giants; my first Giants team

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on March 13, 2014

In 1987, Don McMahon was pitching batting practice to the L.A. Dodgers, and collapsed with a heart attack and passed away. And we lost Bobby Bonds in 2003 and Dick Dietz in 2005. That’s the sad part of the story.

I was curious about the current whereabouts of the ’71 team; the team that created a Giants fan out of me. My relatively quick and unimpressive research also shows that Tito Fuentes is a Spanish language broadcaster for the Giants, as he has been for years; Chris Speier is some kind of special assistant for the Reds; Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal rule the world as baseball royalty; Gaylord Perry rules his own particular world of retirement somewhere in North Carolina; Alan Gallagher and Hal Lanier may or may not still be managing obscure independent minor league teams in towns only slightly bigger than Bodie, Calif.; Ken Henderson is retired in Pennsylvania, or not.

Obviously there were other players on the team, but these are the guys from the ’71 team that stick in my mind. It was only last season, as I was walking along that really cool walk-of-history on the McCovey statue side of the Cove, which has plaques with the starting lineups from the first game of each SF Giants season, that I was reminded that Hal Lanier started at shortstop that first day of the season, and Speier took over later at some point.

But as much as anything, it was Lon Simmon’s play-by-play that drew me in. Who knows- if the awful Monte Moore hadn’t been the A’s broadcaster, there’s a chance I could have ended up an A’s fan. Certainly the A’s were winning more in those days. But Lon had it just right. He was obviously awesome, and the world of Giants baseball enveloped me that summer. Lon’s call for a Giants’ homerun, on paper, doesn’t sound like much: “You can TELL it goodbye!” But it was the hoarse crackle in his voice or something. He made it dramatic and memorable.

Of course, that season ultimately ended in disappointment, and we had no way of knowing that the Giants wouldn’t make the playoffs again until SIXTEEN years later. But I now had a shared history with the Giants. I had been through a lot with them in that ’71 season. So, here’s to the ’71 team. Not a World Series winner, unfortunately; but still a pretty cool team in my mind. And now that the SF Giants won rings in 2010 and 2012, I can thank the ’71 team for helping to set the stage.

Image

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:52 am

Yeah that 71 team was the last gasp of the great Giants teams. I was nice and young then and only later did I appreciate that team. Sure were a lot of lean years after that.

2. Flavor said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:54 am

great thread, Zumie.
    Here’s the link to the entire ’71 roster

3. willedav said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:35 am

Cool thread, and thx for link flav. Lot of interesting stuff.
    Steve Stone in his younger days, Steve Hamilton who had a lot of good years as a Yankee at end of career. Bryant won 23 games couple years later and then fell off map.
    Dirty Al and Fuentes on the IF plus the young Speier, and the young George Foster, just another in a long long line of top flight black and latin OFs. Kingman, who in his younger days could run well but was a terrible 3b.
    Bonds was my hero though. He struck out a lot and often looked bad on breaking balls, but he had all 5 tools. He hit 180 HRs in 6 years with great slugging and ran and threw with abandon. His avg used to go up and down but just his stance was intimidating–he held bat angled just slightly away from him at the top and then whipped it around. I could never do Fuentes bat flip but I tried to imitate Bonds stance all the time.
    It’s too bad Giants for all their HOF guys couldn’t win more in the 60s in NL golden era, and after this things just got worse.

• zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

Yeah, Bonds caught some grief for his strikeouts in those days, in the pre-SABR years, when the strikeout had so much stigma. People thought his 189 season strikeout record would last forever, and now it doesn’t even make the MLB history top 10 list. Bonds’ average could fluctuate, but he took walks and got some hit-by-pitches. His OBP was solid throughout his career until near the end.:
      .336, .351, .375, .355, .326, .370, .364, .375, .337, .342, .355, .347, .356, .367, .305, .323
      And his power numbers gave him a real good OPS just about every year. He would be better appreciated if he was playing in the SABR era.
      Bonds was my main Giant, too. And my first mitt had his autograph stamped on it. I have no idea where that mitt is now, but I wore it down to a frazzle, mostly in pick-up games, in an era when baseball pick-up games even existed. I only played a couple of seasons of little league and that was pretty much it for me regarding organized baseball. I focused on playing on school basketball teams, and never tried out for my high school baseball team. I wish I had. Not that I would have necessarily made the team, but I could have least have tried out. :)

• salty said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:44 am

Interesting you take out ‘K’ machines Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn, Bonds 189 would rank 8th instead of 16th.

4. Irish Kevin said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hmmm..1971 I was 16 years old, listening to Giants game on a transistor radio. AM only I think, maybe a weather station. Sometimes had to turn the around a few times to get the signal. Ahh simpler times.

5. Alleykat said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:57 am

Nice thread Z,
    Yeah that was a great team really led by Bobby Bonds and the excitement of a youthful rookie Chris Speier once he took over for an aging over the hill Hal Lanier!
    The bummer was I believe it was the year Juan Marichal got sick in Japan and was really not effective all year and it showed in the playoffs.
    Then that one Pirate went off ,Bob Robertson who just destroyed us hitting 3 bombs in the second game!!!

6. willedav said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:23 am

Saw the Sacto Kings won last night beating Philly, which lost its 14 th in a row at home. Dang, that’s embarrassing. They do have 15 Ws on the year so they aren’t in danger of matching all time worst NBA season of 72-73 Sixers, whom I saw that year on their way to 9-73 season.
    That was the last year for one of my heroes, Hal Greer. I used to jump shoot my FTs like him tho I was nowhere near his 80% mark. I got his uni #15 as a soph, which unfortunately was made for a post guy and had way too much fabric for my scrawny 110 lb body.
    Tiny url is beyond my powers of comprehension but there are a lot of funny articles on that Philly team, who started 0-15 and lost last 13 as well. Kevin Loughery, Dave Wohl, Fred Carter, John Block, Dale Schleuter, and the exploits of John Q. Trapp, alleged to have had a cohort stand up behind Philly bench and open his coat to show a pistol to coach who wanted to sub Trapp out of the game.

• zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:33 am

I read a Chamberlain biography a while back, so some of those Philly names stick in my memory a bit. They finally won a title at some point and unseated the Celtics for a season in the ’60s.
      Chamberlain got a bad rap being compared to Russell in number of championships. Chamberlain ended up winning two in his career, which is still darned good. It’s more than Peyton Manning’s won, and Manning is some kind of media darling. (Well, maybe not as much after this past Super Bowl.)
      Chamberlain had his 100 point game sometime during the 60s, in a game in which no film record exists. They were playing in a special venue in Hershey. The most amazing thing about the 100 point game is that Chamberlain, an awful free throw shooter, went 28-32 that night on free throws.

• willedav said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:51 am

well, supposedly the rims were way soft and anything that hit the front rim went in. Great book about the whole game, including efforts by Knicks to sabotage Wilt’s total, something along lines of “Night wilt scored 100.” Good read, man.
        Al Attles in that game went 8 for 8 from the floor, and he was always known more for his defense, so might be something about the rims too. Another one of my heroes.

7. zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the link to the ’71 Giants, BF. It gives the full measure of that team, before several of them ended up on other teams.

8. Flavor said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:39 am

Happy birthday to my main man, Will Clark, who turned 50 today and that makes me feel old as fuck.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:41 am

Ha ha I am older than both of you!!

• Alleykat said, on March 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

Me too!
        Though I did feel like a young buck whipper snapper, when I had a few drinks talking baseball with Bobby Bonds at the “Old Playhouse Bar” in San Carlos in 1977, he use to hang out there all the time…

9. zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:39 am

A litle bit of trivia about Speier…..I had forgotten that he was a coach on the ’01 D-Backs, and has a World Series ring.
    And, of course, Foster won two with the Reds. And there may be others that won rings at some point. Of course, Mays in ’54. And, of course, the Giants gave Mays and McCovey 2010 and 2012 rings for being awesomely legendary. :)

10. zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:50 am

One of my favorite things about the Chamberlain 100 point game is what happened to the game ball, because it’s such a poignant little story. In that pre-memorabilia era, no one thought to save the ball, except for the equipment manager, who took the ball home and gave it to his son……who proceeded, like a lot of kids would have, to take it outside on black-top courts and use it in pick-up games until the cover was worn off, and the ball was thrown away.

11. Macdog said, on March 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

The Sixers’ famous stats maven, Harvey Pollack, turned 92 earlier this week. He’s been involved in the NBA since 1946, before it was even known as the NBA, and is still working courtside for the SIxers. Anyway, Pollack was the one who scribbled the “100” on a piece of paper for Wilt to hold up in that memorable picture following Wilt’s record-breaking game in Hershey.

• blade3colorado said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Love this type of info . . . Thanks Mac!

12. stixwiz said, on March 13, 2014 at 10:32 am

70’s MLB: In 71 i turned 27 and was as far away as i’d ever get from giving a rap about baseball. It was the late peak of the “turn on, tune in and drop out” era and they were all part of my experience. Would not have missed 64-73 for nothin. There was magic in the air, but not for the Giants.

Candlestick Park and Horace Stoneham caught up with the Giants through the 70’s and though that 71 team had some sparkle it was pretty much downhill from there on, what with Mays going to the Mutts, Stretch to the Pads, i seem to recall and Bobby B. later to the Yanks. Much of this disintegration had to do with the fact that ol’ Horace had been sold a lemon out there on the foggy, windy point and the revenues simply frittered away and so, ultimately did the team. So for me, the Seventies was the decade where i got out of touch with the game.

Believe it was ’82 or so when i started tuning in again and remembering Joe Morgan’s smash to sink the LaBumbos’ pennant hopes. Never having owned a boobtoob, my only on-time connexions with the game were by way of opposition radio clear-channel a.m. radio stations out of St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Chicago. Crackle and static, with the dial turned up to max output.

For me it all changed after 2002 when i first got connected with the net. After a STEEP learning curve i was able to access daily info on the Giants and in another five or six years, the blogs hooked me. Daily contact with fellow Giants fanatics. Had i died and gone to Heaven, or what? Cainer and Timmy came along. Even the national sports media started noticing action by the Bay. Then 2010 and the Golden Gate opened. Wow!

• Flavor said, on March 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

fantastic post, thanks for sharing

13. Bozo said, on March 13, 2014 at 10:32 am

Nice Throwback Thursday Zumiee, great Bobby Lee card. Yes, yes, birthday wishes go out to the Thrill. And, no I won’t be rooting for the Reds but I might be pulling a little bit for Trevor Bell.

14. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

Nice job, Zum. I remember the ’71 season well. I’ll say I listened to every dang game on the radio that season, but I might be fibbin’ a little. Certainly every night game on the ol’ transistor with the one ear plug. And, yeah. Lon was in his prime, gettin’ it done. I remember the clincher in Diego with Marichal up, pretty much the last year he was any good. Rookie Speier really was the spark to that team…

15. Flavor said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:07 pm
    • snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I see a future Flapalooza meet with the HacMan. He’d probably quaff a beer with Flappers as an “Ambassador”, or at least a soda, I should think. Let’s get ‘er done!…

16. salty said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

In high school in 71 and if I recall wearing a baseball cap was a seriously uncool thing to do. Didn’t quite work with the tie dye and shoulder length hair.

17. unca_chuck said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Good stuff Zumie. I got into the GIants a little earlier than you (late 60s), but yeah, loved that ’71 team. I turned 10 that year, and went to Bat Day and a bunch of other games. Usually a $0.35 bus ride for a $0.50 bleacher seat.

Chris Speier and Tito turning DPs was fun as hell to watch. Bonds in his prime, Mays in his last gasp of effectiveness, McCovey still crushing it. Jimmy D, Dirty Al, Dick Deitz. I saw Gaylord Perry win game 1 of the playoffs that year. THought we were on our way. Little did I know I’d be 26 before they made it back to the playoffs.

18. Macdog said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm

It’s hard for me to pinpoint any one factor in how I became a Giants fan in New Jersey, but the ’71 NLCS vs. the Pirates certainly played a part since my father and next-oldest brother were Pirates fans, which was reason enough in my soon-to-be 9-year-old mind to root for the Giants. But I can recall that ’71 Giants team for an entirely different reason. We had a Sports Illustrated dice baseball game that featured charts of every team from the 1971 season. My typical lineup probably mirrored that of the NLCS: Henderson, Tito, Mays, Stretch, Bonds, Dietz, Gallagher, Speier. No doubt my brother and I replayed that ’71 playoff series countless times. Hopefully I didn’t take out Gaylord Perry for Jerry Johnson in Game 4.

19. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Don’t know about you guys, but I’m kinda diggin’ the temporary resurrection of the Stable Boys…

20. salty said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Commendable effort from hacman

???Oneflapdown.org

• salty said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:48 pm

- the ?

• snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I had no idea HacMan was involved in something like that. Cool…

21. chipower9 said, on March 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Nice thread Zumie, and on Will Clark being 50 today…I concur…WTH…makes me feel old.

I forgot to mention yesterday that at the final ST game my daughter and I attended, I started talking with two ladies behind us. One I guessed was about my age. She made mention of the Orioles, and I asked how she came to be an O’s fan. She said her dad played for the club and hit 46 bombs in 1961. I was four years old in 1961, so I had not yet started following baseball, and knew nothing about her dad, Jim Gentile (SF native).

So, I went and checked out his stats:

148 games, 486 AB, 25 2B, 46 HR, 141 RBI, .302 BA, .423 OBP, .646 SLG, 1.069 OPS.

Pretty damned good stats that would make most stand-up and take notice…IF he had not done it the same year that Roger Maris hit 61 bombs and broke the Babe’s single season HR mark.

Anyway…just wanted to share, as this is just one example of how you can run into some interesting folks at a baseball game. Very cool.

22. chipower9 said, on March 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm

snarkk – I agree…it is cool to see this semi-resurrection of the stable boys. I will have to put together a thread to post. Are you guys running these through Craig first, or just posting when you see fit (don’t want to step on any toes)?

• snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Shot you an email…

• unca_chuck said, on March 13, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Free for all as far as I can tell.

Got to limber up the old brain cells . . .

• snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Take your Niners hat off for a day, screw that free agent nonsense, and get your baseball juices going again… ;)

• unca_chuck said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:26 pm

ha ha!

23. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Scutaro hasn’t even taken live BP yet, with 2 1/2 weeks left before opening day.
    I’ll go out on a limb and say it’ll be a minor miracle if he’s in the lineup on opening day. Good thing Adrianza is making some noise, although he’s most comfortable as a SS…

24. Flavor said, on March 13, 2014 at 5:04 pm

If Jeff Leonard is now a “Community Ambassador” I am going to contact him with the Flapalooza 4.0 details (once determined) and invite him to join the party. I’ve seen the HacMan a couple of times in Reno at the tables. I’ll just say this: he’s not in danger of snubbing a Flapalooza because he thinks he’s better than us. Not based off the crew I’ve seen him roll deep with at the El Dorado. LQTM

25. zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Chi mentioned Jim Gentile….I was familiar with that name from a baseball boardgame I played as a kid. Not the boardgame Macdog mentioned, although that looks cool, too. The game we played used round cards and a spinner. The game lasted an entire summer until the spinners fell off. It had had some use before we got it. My mom found that game at a yardsale for something like 50 cents or a dollar, I’m sure. One of the greatest purchases ever.
    The players’ stats were all done as a sort of pie chart, with the homerun slice at the top of the card.
    This is probably the game here, or very similar to the one here:

• zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Looking at the photo closely, though, it shows only one spinner. I could’ve sworn our game had two spinners. Oh well, the misty fog of memory….. :)

• willedav said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

yeah zum I had that one too, earlier tho in the 60s. The *1* was a HR, and I remember some old timers cards like Ruth and Foxx were really big, the walk too. Yeah eventually the spinners gave out and then by HS I met some guys who got into Strat O Matic with the cards and the dice for control, etc.

26. zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:15 pm

According to my TV, the Giants game is on the MLB network tonight, 10:00 Pacific Time. But I’ve been wrong on the MLB network schedule before, so I’ll believe it when I see it.

• snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:19 pm

It’s already started, first inning now. Kieschnick’s already made his obligatory strike out. Dunno about the TV. Voggy needs to have a good start, his last was worrying…

• zumiee said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m not at home at the moment, so I’ll have to check later.

John Shea reports:
        “The Giants have a couple of banged-up outfielders. Angel Pagan has a lower back strain and is expected to miss a couple of days while Michael Morse could miss four or five days because his right calf strain remains bothersome.”

27. blade3colorado said, on March 13, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Outstanding thread Zum . . . Likewise regarding the remembrances, e.g., Kevin (I had my transistor radio with me everywhere and almost got suspended from grade school for it), AK, Willie, Stix, Unca Chuck, etc.

The 60s Giants teams were my start, but similar to Zumiee – the ’71 team cemented my affection for Giants baseball due to the exciting season and playoff payoff (something the 60s Giants teams never accomplished . . . sigh). My favorite “new” player was Speier and I loved Fuentas and Bobby Bonds. I also thought Kingman could do no wrong and yes, he was fleet of foot back then. Too bad his career never met the hype expectations. Great mix of young and old players that year (Mays, McCovey, Marichal)

28. DJLoo said, on March 13, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Everyone knows my 7 train story from ’71 and seeing Kingman hit a bus in the parking lot so whats the use…

29. sportdude said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Nice thread Craig. I joined the bandwagon in 77. I know I haven’t been around as much lately. Where’s Michael?

• willedav said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm

check out Alex Pavlovic blog at mercurynews.com.

• DJLoo said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ll pass, thanks.

• willedav said, on March 14, 2014 at 7:27 am

pav’s blog is a good read, way better than when Baggarly was doing it.
      guys making comments on it tho is another story.

30. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Voggy better. 5 IP, 4H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 Ks, 1 HR allowed…

31. SanDawg said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Great thread today. Hadn’t been on yet, and gave it a quick look without much thought—and have really enjoyed the lead and all these posts. ’71 is right in my wheelhouse as well. Pretty much the first season I can remember bits of. As I’ve said many times and my pic next to my name (what are those things called again) Bobby Bonds was my main man too. Argyle? Something like that. My first game was either ’71 or ’72—wish I knew for sure.
    @Willie–I played in a youth hoops league when I was in 6-7 grade and my number was 12. Couldn’t find any NBA studs with that number to identify with. Best I could do was Nick Weatherspoon. I went with it though, and he became “my man.” Some of the guys started calling me “‘Spoon”, and to this day, many of the Woodland guys still do. Thought about making it my screen name here.

1964 was a heck of year. Not only were Will Clark, Barry Bonds, John Burkett, Roy Tarpley, and I all born that year, (Burkett, Tarpley and I all born on the same day), but my favorite guilty pleasure breakfast cereal–Lucky Charms came into existence in ’64 as well.
    Avitar—that’s it. Did I spell it right?

• DJLoo said, on March 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Goldwater for President!

32. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 11:44 pm

3 calls under replay review tonight in the Giants / TX game. All at first base. As I suspected, 1b calls will be the key area of review for this replay business. One was overturned of the three, Bochy objected and his objection was “sustained”. From game story, looks like it took around 80 seconds for each protest to be looked at and decided. That’s not bad, though I’m not sure how they’re measuring from when to when. Arguments of manager to ump take way longer than that. Get it right, and that’s an improvement…

33. snarkk said, on March 13, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Susac with HR tonight, too…

34. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:05 am

Stix – loved your 10:32 post on 3/13. Awesome stuff. Hope all is well up in the wild north woods…

• stixwiz said, on March 14, 2014 at 11:16 am

Chi: Northwoods being its wild old self. Hit a season’s high of 48 and sunny and share yesterday, but 30 degrees lower for today with biting NNW wind at about 20 MPH. Major chainsaw exercises yesterday thus late outta bed today what with all the pussy holding me down ~ three of em demanding attention and giving cuddles. Made up a salmon loaf for brunch featuring a can of pink bought pre 3-11-11 Fuck You Shima nuking of Pacific seafood. Not a good time to be investing in Fisherman’s Wharf real estate. Hard to know how many years before shore lunches there will no longer glow in the dark.

35. zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:16 am

Not that it matters, but seriously, the MLB network blacked out almost the entire Giants game on my TV. The game was being played in ARIZONA, being broadcast by the TEXAS RANGERS’ broadcasting crew, and was blacked out in my area of the Central Valley. I kept checking back periodically, and suddenly the ninth inning appeared. MLB network decided the ninth and tenth innings were OK for me to see. I thought: OK, now they’re just messing with me.

36. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

I know…I was blacked-out on that game, too. I mean really…it’s a fucking ST game in AZ. What the hell is up with a blackout on that. Geez…

37. Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:34 am

Looks like the Giants found a potential flaw in the new replay rule. The replay in the 8th that the umps called for went the Giants way but could have fucked them as well. Tie game, speedy runner at second, two outs. A chopper is hit between second and first, the second baseman ranges to his right into shallow right field, the runner at second has now rounded third headed for home. The throw to first is called an out, the first baseman doesn’t throw home because it’s the third out, the runner from second now touches home on his way to the dugout, a replay is called for. After viewing the replay, the runner at first is called safe, the run counts, the Giants lose.

There doesn’t seem to be any provision in the new rule to send the runner back to third, so It seems players will now have to play for a possible 4th out. After making the third out at first the first baseman will now have to anticipate that the play is still live and make a throw home, Ironically, this could then test the new catcher safety rule and by all means, don’t make the first or fourth out at third..

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:37 am

• snarkk said, on March 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

I don’t see much wrong with that. Play the play out to conclusion, assume nothing if the play at first is close and keep running or turn and throw home if you’re the 1bman, whatever. I think it adds some excitement to the game. I’d rather see that than the manager coming out yelling at the 1b ump and crew chief for 4 minutes, then jogging back in the dugout with the wrong call unchanged…

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 10:09 am

I see your point snarkk, but it could create a possible unnecessary collision injury at the plate. To me, when the third out is called the play should be deemed dead and if the out is overruled by replay, the runner should go to third. Playing for four outs is a bit much for my taste.

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

BTW, from what I’ve heard MLB agrees with snarkk on this.

• snarkk said, on March 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

Bozo, either way. I could go for your rule if my above proposition proves unworkable for some reason. I just see it as similar to football where the rule is always keep playing until the whistle blows. IMO, if the play is close at 1b on a third out, everybody just assume the whistle hasn’t blown yet. It’ll all come out in the wash, as they use this new toy. NFL changes their damn replay rules after fuckups happen, this replay stuff for MLB will evolve, too. As I said many times earlier, the replay will be most used at close 1B plays, so they should get that process down maybe by mid season, and the turnaround time on the replay decision should be no more than a minute, I should think…

38. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2014 at 10:38 am

Oh, they’ll fuck that all up. And they consult with the grand wizard in New York to get the call right? So, some ump will be sitting there at 3:00 am waiting to make the right call? Great. No problems there. Continuation plays are annoyong as hell. Say the runner is called out (wrongly) at 1st, and like you said the runner at 2nd continues to run, and he scores as the ball gets away from the catcher. Does that mean the runner that’s out gets to go to 2nd base? Does the runner have the RIGHT to run to 2nd if he thinks the call is close? What if that throw to 2nd gets away? You let it play out, and it could get craazy. I mean what if Ruben Riviera comes back?

It’s kinda similar to the ground rule double call. Runner at 1st and the ball bounces over the fence. 99% of the time the runner scores from 1st, less than 1% of the time they call it that way.

Well, maybe it isn’t similar, but it still pisses me off!

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 11:49 am

Yeah I guess other bugs will come out as they “test” it in ST and I don’t expect any changes/fixes without an Owner’s meeting and OKs by the umps and players unions. It just seems weird to me that MLB created a rule to protect the catcher while also implementing a situation that could injure players after the play. At the moment (subject to change), I wish replay was only being used for fouls, HRs and fan interference.

• snarkk said, on March 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I’d still rather have continuation than no replay at all, where an ump’s wrong call denies a guy a perfect game, or wrongly hands the game over to the other team…

• Chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I agree…

39. Alleykat said, on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Hear Dunston was in a video feed trailer and relayed the info to Bochy to challenge that play at 1st!
    One up on Ron Washington again,and always 2 up on Donny 2 step and the fucking Bums!

40. zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Did I hear someone say Ruben Rivera?!
    This never gets old! :) It’s GOLD, baby!

41. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I haven’t seen this since watching it live on the boob-tube…LMAO…

Miller is hilarious, too…

42. Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Something called the wall st cheat sheet named Giants fans, the most loyal in baseball. But y’all already knew that.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Very cool!
      That first photo shows how fans used to really dress up to go to a ballgame. It’s interesting to see those old photos. I wonder when the style of dressing up to go to a ballgame changed. I guess the ’60s in general brought that change, among so many other changes in society.

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Have you read the book 34-Ton Bat by Steve Rushin? He goes through a lot of the side history of baseball. I can’t remember if touches on the style of dress of the fans but it might. It goes through the history of the scorecard, ballpark food, players using mitts, batting helmets etc…I thought it had some pretty cool stuff in it.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I’ll look for that, thanks! I like reading that kind of thing.
        And I’m going to look for the book Willie recommended about Chamberlain’s 100-point game.

43. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Noonan and Kieschnick optioned to Fresno…no surprise there.

Bumgarner – on deck, so I expect he’ll be back to start the 5th inning. Through 4 1 hit, no runs, 1 BB, 4 Ks.

• snarkk said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

If he gets some run support this year, Bum is poised to make a Cy Young run…

44. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Bum with an RBI base hit…

Here’s a short video clip of his alter ego…Pa Rugg…

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm

That’s rough. :)

45. chipower9 said, on March 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hackman in the booth at Scottsdale. We definitely have to get this dude dialed-in for the next Flapalooza!

46. DJLoo said, on March 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I was just thinking that it’s the 25 year anniversary of the 1989 team…

47. DJLoo said, on March 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Has everyone forgotten how close the ’71 team came to a historic choke?
    They went from 8.5 games up to 1 game up in about 10 days in September.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I didn’t remember that, but the close finish at the end, of course, meant they had to use Marichal to win the division on the last day, which kept him from starting Game 1 of the NL playoffs, which wasn’t ideal.

48. pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Some great memories here. I forget so much. Didn’t Dirty Al Gallagher have something like 5 middle names? I saw that Giants team play in Cincy. Dick Dietz. He comes to mind.

49. pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Any thought to Flapalooza in, say, Denver? (Aw, what the heck. I always like an excuse to hear Tony Bennett sing that song.)

50. willedav said, on March 15, 2014 at 7:21 am

Read Jenkins online column this morning glowing comments are made about Susac, as in another year or less he will be mlb level C…which will of course bring up all kinds of possibilities. As one blogger said tho, if Belt and Sandoval are solid this season that would eliminate the 2 most reasonable spots to move Posey into.
    Hector is reported to have lost a lot of weight too, and if he continues to improve defensively C would become a position of considerable depth. Which would provide Sabes a trade chip without having to touch young pitching prospects to address other shortcomings.
    Maybe farm system isn’t as bereft of life as it appears.

• zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 7:44 am

Possible trade chips as the Giants enter a playoff-run. Should be very interesting.

51. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 7:43 am

New thread up.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers