Hoping no one ties or breaks that record!

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on March 15, 2014

We fans can feel protective of certain sports records. The record I have the most concern about is Joe Montana’s 4-0 record in Super Bowls, in which he also threw a total of ZERO interceptions. Terry Bradshaw shares the 4-0 record, and I really dig how exclusive that club is. As a 49er fan, I get nervous about barbarians approaching the gate on that one, though. Tom Brady is 3-2 in Super Bowl wins. I do NOT want Brady becoming part of the same conversation with Joe Montana. But Brady has a few good years left in him, so…..every season is a kind of gauntlet to be traveled. Especially considering the patty-cake division that Brady plays in. He’s guaranteed a pretty easy playoff spot every year. Fortunately Peyton Manning is a long way from the conversation. The only positive thing about that last Super Bowl was the door slamming shut on Peyton’s chance to enter the conversation. Whenever talk starts about greatest quarterbacks of all time. Montana and Bradshaw’s 4-0 stands alone, pure and dynamic, a beacon of greatness, a kind of north-star of coolness.

But what about baseball? What record do I care about THAT much in baseball? It’ hard for me to think of one, and I’ve given it some thought. None of Barry Bonds’ records mean that much to me anymore. They’re nice memories, but those memories are now tainted, for me. I literally don’t care if any of Barry’s records are broken. Maybe I would feel differently if the 2002 team had won a championship. That would have given me more emotional attachment to Barry’s records.

A baseball record I would not like to see broken is Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak. It’s a really cool record,  and the monument of his legend. He won the World Series 9 times, but it’s the 56-game hitting streak that takes his legend to the stratosphere. But it’s a record that no one needs to feel nervous about. It’s a record that will never be broken. So….I would say the record I care most about isn’t really a “record” in that sense. It’s simply: World Series Championships, Giants 7, Dodgers 6. As a Giants fan, that gives me enormous satisfaction. The Dodgers have made moves to get back to the World Series, and it will happen at some point again in human history. But for now, Giants 7 Dodgers 6. Beautiful.

And here’s to that amazing hitting streak again. Here’s a great book about it:

Image

About these ads

1. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 7:48 am

On the last thread, Willie posted:
    “Read Jenkins online column this morning glowing comments are made about Susac, as in another year or less he will be mlb level C…which will of course bring up all kinds of possibilities. As one blogger said tho, if Belt and Sandoval are solid this season that would eliminate the 2 most reasonable spots to move Posey into.
    Hector is reported to have lost a lot of weight too, and if he continues to improve defensively C would become a position of considerable depth. Which would provide Sabes a trade chip without having to touch young pitching prospects to address other shortcomings.
    Maybe farm system isn’t as bereft of life as it appears.”

The Giants have some solid trade chips for a playoff-run.

2. unca_chuck said, on March 15, 2014 at 8:56 am

Incuding Posey? Ha ha. What’s cool about that is DiMaggio went on a 23 game hitting streak after the 0-fer, One hit, and he woulda been at 80. Half a season of games where he gets a hit is beyond comprehension. It may have turned out differently had he gotten 57, but maybe not.

Of all the records in any sport I think that one never gets equalled.

3. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2014 at 9:48 am

Zumiee, we must have done a Vulcan “mind meld” (along with thousands of other 49er fans) years ago regarding Joe Montana’s 4 Superbowls and arguably being rated the best QB ever. For years and years, no one touched Joe for being the best ever . . . and then the Patriots/Giants Superbowl game happened and all the pre-game hype had Brady being the best ever if his team could beat the Giants. WTF? Who were these idiot scribes that determined this would be so if Brady, et. al., won the Superbowl? Fuck them and the horse they rode in on. I will always have a special place in my heart for the Giants and especially, David Tyree and Eli Manning. Personally, I could give a rat’s ass if Brady wins the next 3 Superbowls – his record is tainted by the 2 loses. Joe Cool didn’t lose and as you pointed out, he didn’t throw an interception in any of those Superbowls.

Likewise, I think it does matter that the Giants record over the Dodgers is 7-6. This shit is important to me. I know for some Flappers (e.g., Flavor), that any history before the Giants moved West doesn’t mean as much. However, I have always been a history buff and more important, the Giants storied history began long before they moved to San Francisco. Occasionally, I will Google John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, Mel Ott, Leo Durocher and some of the other players from Giants history.

Ironically, I may be the only one here who doesn’t think that “The Yankee Clipper’s” 56 game hitting streak is the greatest record ever. I actually thought that Ted Williams deserved the MVP that year for his .406 batting average. However, that;s just me. I guess I always found Joe Dimaggio to be a cold fish. Conversely, I thought Ted Williams was baseball’s John Wayne and never got the respect that Joe did due to being on an also ran Red Sox team.

Great post Zumiee – brought back many fond memories of Joe Cool!

4. Bozo said, on March 15, 2014 at 10:07 am

Joe Cool and Joltin’ Joe, way to tie it all in Zumiee.

5. Flavor said, on March 15, 2014 at 11:19 am

Great thread. Thanks. I was gonna pop one up later today but nothing I was gonna write could top this.

6. snarkk said, on March 15, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Another superb thread, zum. I respect Dimaggio’s streak, for sure. But, some perspective needs to be taken as to why it won’t be broken. Back then, no relief pitchers. I’d like to see a breakdown of when Dimaggio got his first or only hit in a game during that streak. How many of those were hit the 3rd or 4th AB in the game? With the advent of relieft pitching coming in as early as the 6th inning in the past 15 or more years, there is no way hitters will get such a streak ever again. Rose got sorta close with 44 in the ’80s, but relief pitching then wasn’t anywhere near like what it is now with set roles for Pen guys — the long man, the 7th inning guys, the 8th inning set up guys, the Loogy, and the Closer. If a guy gets a 30 game streak going now, that’s pretty miraculous…

7. snarkk said, on March 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm

As for Susac, great. Anybody in the minors that has real MLB starting potential is gold, gives us more flexibility in the lineup or for trades. Again, though, these guys are nothing but potential ’til they actually prove they can play in the Bigs. I’m a believer in Posey not catching much longer, he’s too valuable a hitter, regardless of his preference. I believe he eventually goes to 1b or 3rd. So, Belt or Sandoval gets displaced to somewhere else in the field (Belt to the OF?) or another team. Susac and Hector may be a more than passable combo behind the dish, especially since it looks like maybe at least one can hit more than a lick…

8. SanDawg said, on March 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I agree this is a great thread. I’m in the minority on this, but I kinda like Brady. I like that he is a bay area guy who was a later round draft pick who made it big. Seems like a stand-up guy to me as well. I’d like to see him get a 4th ring, but I don’t think he will.
    I know there are some records out there that are very sacred to me that I don’t want to see broken, but I can’t think of them at the moment. I will say I was very stoked when Pete Rose had his streak snapped back in the 70’s by the side-winding Gene Garber and others. Shortly after that, some whiffle-type balls came on the market endorsed by Pete Rose. I remember the label on the bag saying “44 in a row!.” They were actually a pretty good competitor for the classic whiffle ball. Lighter and not as easy to curve, but totally indestructible. I remember shooting one of them with my pellet gun and it still worked fine.
    For me as well, Barry’s records don’t mean much—and I love me some Barry Bonds.
    On the catching front, glad to see we may have some depth coming. Also glad to some positives about Hector. I love his bat and really hope he can eventually play good enough D to get a decent amount of ABs.

9. Alleykat said, on March 15, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Another Record that will never be broken, Nolan Ryan’s strikeout total of 5,714 !! Just Insane,a pitcher would have to average 300 K’s a season for 19 years !!!

10. DJLoo said, on March 15, 2014 at 2:33 pm

To me, the 2 most shocking records were Secretariat’s time in the Belmont which still stands, and Bob Beamon’s long jump in the 1968 Olympics which stood for decades I think. What made them so shocking was how much they had eclipsed the previous record by.

11. DJLoo said, on March 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I could never stand Cal Ripken Jr. I consider his consecutive game streak as much about selfishness as it is about durability…

• Bozo said, on March 15, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Agreed Loo, I also think he used HGH/steroids to heal quicker during that streak. So I also don’t like that he’s in the Hall and Bonds isn’t.

12. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 4:06 pm

The good news is the Giants game is on TV right now (local NBC affiliate), the bad new is…..the game’s on TV. A’s lead 7-0 at the moment.
    Ah, but I’m finally getting to watch a Giants ST game, so I’m not going to complain. Although, Cainer got roughed up a bit.

13. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I agree with Snarkk’s comments about the difficulty of hitting streaks these days, but it wasn’t all wine and roses in the old days either. :) They didn’t change baseballs nearly as often in those days as they do now, so the balls got darker and scuffed up, giving the pitchers an advantage, in that regard.

The author of the book I highlighted, Kostya Kennedy, makes a case for DiMaggio being the perfect candidate to have long hitting streaks. (DiMaggio also had a 60-something game hitting streak with the Seals.) DiMaggio had an amazing combination of power and low strikeouts. He put the ball in play, which you need, obviously, for a hitting streak. His walks were generally in the 50-70 range, not super high, which is also good for a hitting streak. Strikeouts and walks are “lost ABs” for a hitting streak. And homeruns are great because the fielders can’t stop them, other than someone making a leaping catch over a fence.
    The year DiMaggio hit 46 HRs, he only struck out 37 times. And the year of his hitting streak, he hit 30 HRs and struck out only 13 times in over 600 plate appearances. That’s nuts!

14. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Ha! The camera showed two Giants fans wearing the orange sombreros, the ones from the night of last year’s Flapalooza. Very cool!

15. Flavor said, on March 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I just dumped a good sombrero photo into the bucket from that night. I think it’s already in there but whatever….

• blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I love me some sombrero photos . . . Just checked and no one has challenged us on the Butch Cassidy film meet in Tijuana. :-)

Also laughing about James intently watching you receive your Flapper shirt from snarkk (and wondering what was James thinking about at that point in time . . . or, did he spot a stain on your shirt? Inquiring minds want to know.). Fun times . . .

16. zumiee said, on March 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Pence with another HR! That alone makes today’s televised game worth it. :)

17. Bozo said, on March 15, 2014 at 6:27 pm

OK, I haven’t watched many ST games, I haven’t followed all the ST print and mostly follow our kids through stats. That said, I watched one play with Roger Kieschnick today and had a gut reaction that I never want to see his punk ass in a SF uni. Short squad Giants vs Mariners, shallow fly to right, Hicks and Belt float out, Hicks calling all the way, Kieschnick comes slamming in knocks the ball out and turns around to blame Hicks instead of going for the loose ball. Seattle scores. Trade him now.

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Kiesch in ST with OBP of .276 12 Ks out of 25 ABs. I don’t see how he stays on the 40 man at the end of ST…

18. salty said, on March 15, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I gues the only reason he hasn’t been sent packing is pagan and Morse are hurt. What a dud! Always thought he was just another Bowker but never thought he would hit like Burris.

19. salty said, on March 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm

What is up with Crawford?

• snarkk said, on March 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Not his batting average…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers