Batting Second……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 17, 2014

In a shocking development, Marco Scutaro is going to play in a game today. This, despite having not faced live pitching yet. I’m assuming Scoots is gonna take his at bats with his bat firmly attached to his right shoulder.

I think it’s clear that this is a back that cannot be fixed enough for him to be an everyday major league baseball player. I doubt he’ll even be able to tolerate the pain enough to play even as a utility guy. When you can’t get out of bed or you can’t walk in the morning, that’s a pretty good sign that you’re done. And Scoots and his medicos had all off season to figure this out and they are no closer to fixing his back than they were when he started.

But I admire the hell out of his effort to try to play through this thing.

just a great pic:

greatpic

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2014 at 10:31 am

Scutaro would be a great bat to have coming off the bench. Sadly, the Giants need him to start at 2b. Dude should have mixed in some yoga over the winter, or acupuncture or something.

Whatever, I got my season tickets today. I’m not letting Scutaro bring me down.

• Flavor said, on March 17, 2014 at 10:52 am

nice. What section and what did you pay for those?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2014 at 10:56 am

Lower Box 112, Row 35. Got 2 tickets as part of a larger group. It ends up costing $45 per ticket per game and we got 8 games. Probably the most I could hope to go to. I’m stoked.

• Flavor said, on March 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

that’s rad. I wish I was that organized. Once you lay the dough out though you’re locked in and that way are sure to get in at least 8 games this year. Shoot me an email with the dates, I’ll try to be a +1 and we can at least have beers before the game.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2014 at 11:31 am

Sounds good man. I don’t know what to think about buying with a larger group. I bought in with a different group last year. We were in the upper deck along the 3rd base line. Nice tickets but I like to be a little closer than Bat Signal territory. At renewal time I suggested that I would be down to spend some more for better seats. Nobody said a word so I took that as a no and figured I would just buy tickets for games through the season this year. Then my wife’s Uncle called out of the blue and asked if we wanted in with his group. He’s got some pretty awesome seats so we jumped on it. From what he says they started in the upper deck and it has taken quite a few years to finally get this location. The only negative is I got mostly mid week day games. I guess I’ll have to miss work. Boo Hoo.

• Bozo said, on March 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Dang dirt, you’re going to be right below my old seats (212 row B). I’m green with envy, man. I do miss my summers at Pac Bell.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I’m pumped on the seats. Some things are worth the extra duckets. When we moved back to CA I got the wife to agree that attending 4-5 Giants games a year and getting my sailing license were a requirement. She’s not much of a baseball fan but agreed. Still working on the sailing license.

2. Bozo said, on March 17, 2014 at 11:02 am

Besides the balky back the Blockbuster got that finger erection that lasted four months last year before he was able to see a doctor. He was still able to get in 127 games and he was named to the All Star team. The first half last year he was hitting .316, so I think Marco’s got some more in his tank when he’s feeling right.
    I’m not so worried about his glove when he needs days off, it’s that second hole batting that he does so well. It got to a point where it seemed like Marco and Pagan just fed off of each other, they worked like a well oiled machine. I’m sure Crawford or whoever the Giants decide to use in that second slot will be fine for short periods, but I doubt it can match the two headed monster that Pagan and Scutaro have become at the top of the order. So I hope he stretches that back out a little in ST and he’s ready to roll come opening day.

3. snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

The thing that concerns me most about Scut’s and the back thing is his D. It was pretty bad last season. If you have a bad back, you can’t move, stretch, make quick adjustments, jump, whatever you need to do to play second base in the majors. If he’s going to be relegated to a PH role, might as well start it now and get Adrianza or Hicks settled in at second so they’re used to working with Crawford. Or, woriking with each other, since Crawford may not play much against LHPs…

4. snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Looks like Wichita State got hosed. Toughest region in the tourney. Likely to get Kentucky in the #2 game. Kentucky is a #8? NCAA is a vile organization. Obviously has no interest in perpetuating a great Wichita State story, much better to butter the bread of the usual big time programs for TV…

• Alleykat said, on March 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Smu got hosed as well 23-9 though they did lose their last 3 and their conference is weak.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm

These conference tournaments are a joke, guaranteeing the winner a NCAA berth. Cal Poly getting a berth with a 13-19 record or whatever is ludicrous, just takes away a spot from a deserving at large team. Cal Poly would not even get an NIT bid had it not somehow won the conference tourney. UC Irvine was 23-11 and won the Big West league title, but since it lost in the conference tourney that Cal Poly won, UCI did not get an NCAA bid, and instead faces, you guessed it, SMU in round one of the NIT in Dallas…

5. Macdog said, on March 17, 2014 at 1:28 pm

And for his spring debut, Scutaro hits a double and scores on a single by Sandoval.

6. chipower9 said, on March 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’m willing to go the wait and see route with Scoots. While the Giants definitely need to improve on theif D over last year’s squad, I’m with the clown with my main concern who they can slot into the 2 hole who will produce. Just glad to see him in the game. Wishing him the best, and hope like hell he dispells all the pundits that are shoveling dirt onto his coffin.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I will stop shoveling now

7. snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Box scores shows Timmeh giving up 7 hits and 5 earnies in 5.1 innings to the Angels. That doesn’t look very good…

8. wswin said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:21 pm

This is a Giants fan!

• wswin said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Oh well I thought it would link to all his stuff on You Tube…sorry ’bout that.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Idiot commentators in the beginning, especially Piershitski — he didn’t have anything against SF, no, not at all. Giants had no chance in this game according to these geniuses. Zito’s bunt is at 1:22. Scuts with a fine play at 1:48.30…

9. Irish Kevin said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Going to opening day April 8, 2014 my first ever. View Reserve Outfield 327 | 2 tickets

Row 8 | Seats 3, 4
    This is a B’day present from my daughter who is going with me

• Alleykat said, on March 17, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Nice Kevin, daughter comes thru big time!’
      Should be heading out tonight as well, tossing back a few for St Patty’s Day !
      Now i am ,drinking some “Green Beers ” an Irish tradition!! 🍀🍻

• Irish Kevin said, on March 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Excellent, toss one back for me too!!

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2014 at 6:50 am

Hey Kev – Who’s going to man the shovel while you are at the game? My daughter and I will be there, too. We don’t have tickets yet (my daughter is picking them up this year, since I scored the spring training tix). But I suspect we’ll be somewhere in the lower boxes, 3rd base line. We’ll have to meet up and have a cold one. Flap on…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

Yes lets hook up for a brew. Oh and I will bring the shovel with me in case I need it. Ha ha ha

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Kevin – shoot me an email at chipower9@hotmail.com and we’ll swap phone numbers. I may have yours in my phone when we met at the River Cat game.

10. DJLoo said, on March 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I’ll say it one more time, then I’ll let it go for a while. The Giants need to tear up Bumgarner’s contract and reward him like they have everyone else who contributed to at least one title. He contributed to both in a big way. I want this done now. Not at mid-season, not next week, NOW!!!

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I’d go for it, if he signs a deal that if his arm blows up, the Giants don’t have to pay as long as he can’t pitch…

11. blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Question – Why don’t the Giants sign Barry Bonds? See this article and you’ll have the same question . . .http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcFnr?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-giants

Failing that, if I am an American League club, I have Barry’s telephone number on speed dial.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Maybe because every other fanbase hates him?…

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:35 pm

LOL . . . When did owners start paying attention to “fanbase” input? Umm . . . like never. Similarly, I don’t buy “team chemistry” either, especially when you have a piece of shit season like the Giants had last year.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Hey, last year’s team had great chemistry. They sucked, but didn’t argue much about it… ;)

• Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:26 am

Uh…batting practice pitching vs live major league pitching?? Just a thought

12. blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:13 pm

One more question for the Flap peanut gallery . . . Isn’t Scutaro motoring on a leg that is shorter than the other one? I could have sworn that Glass Sanchez also had one leg shorter then the other one too (because of a club foot or something similar). Giants need to again start scouring the para-baseball rosters for disabled 2nd baseman as Scoots “milk date” just went pass due.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Scuts is 38. Sabes wouldn’t have signed him to a 3 year deal if Sabes had anybody at end 2012 worth a darn at 2nd in the minors, but that’s the way it is. Hopefully, Scuts can work the kinks out of the hip and back. Yes, supposedly root cause one leg shorter than the other. I floated the idea about corrective shoe to balance out the lower back, I haven’t seen anything on that bright idea. No beat writer ever asks anything that makes any sense. I don’t get why the Giants can’t get a decent 2d baseman to play for a few years. After Kent, it was pretty much Stone Hands and then a steady stream of short timers, hurt guys, and bench dudes till now. Yes, Franchez was born with a club foot…

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I still think that Ackley (who can play outfield too) or another 2nd baseman can be had for a very reasonable cost. Also, Ackley can play defense, something Scutaro can barely do. I appreciate everything Scutaro did for us in 2012, but I am definitely not sentimental about keeping him or anyone else on the roster who can’t carry their weight anymore.

• Bozo said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Sanchez overcame two club feet to become an all star and a batting champ, I bet he’d say his shorter leg is in the middle. :)

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Yep . . . Dollars to donuts that’s true John. Ha.

13. DJLoo said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:35 pm

The organization has rewarded and/or overpaid almost everyone who contributed to the title(s) except Bum. It’s criminal.

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Plus, they allowed someone in the Payroll department to skim from the top as well. :-)

14. snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:03 pm

blade, you’re not thinking of staying in Vietnam are you? I guess if you can get Giants games somehow on the Internet, from your reports it does seem to have some positive characteristics…

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. One of the most inexpensive countries in the world (up there with Nepal, Thailand, and Ecuador), and the women treat you like a King. What’s not to like? That being said, I will go back to the States and see what’s what and maybe I come back in September (a lot hinges on whether Paul in Asia can swing a teaching job in Vietnam and if I am bored in the States).

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Snarkk, another thing that has attracted me to this place is table tennis . . . Back in the day, I was a very, very good player (I think I said I played the #2 ranked player in Great Britain back in the ’70s). Anywho, I have been going to a table tennis club in the mornings here in Ho Chi Minh city (Thao lent me her paddle). I am getting back into the game again and the players here are very good.

15. Flavor said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’m not a supporter of Loo’s POTD but I just made it POTD.
    We needed a new one.
    And I’m not super non-supportive of it. I just think that if you sign a deal, you do the deal. And how many of you wouldn’t work for 6 years for 35 mil?
    And don’t gimmie that stuff about different worlds/ pro ball player salaries, etc.
    Bum signed that deal because he was a country bumkin’ who knew 35 mil would take care of his family and next 3 gen’s. That shit goes a long way there.
    Honor your deal.

• blade3colorado said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Agree. I already said I have NO sentiment for trading or dropping players. Same deal with contracts. If Bum thinks he is under paid (and I know he hasn’t said squat about this – major props to him for not whining), move to Vietnam, where that type of scratch will pay for the next 100 generations of his family. :-)

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Those beards really contribute to the Ambiguously Gay Duo aspect of the B boys picture. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

17. willedav said, on March 17, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I’d like to see Giants give Bum a new deal too–he’s more than earned it. Tear up the cheapo one and give him his due, bean counters be damned.
    If Sando is raking mid season I’d bet SF inks him to a decent 3 yr deal too, weight clause or not.

• DJLoo said, on March 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I’m sure someone in their marketing department could come up with some sort of Bumgarner related souvenir that would help finance his new deal. Maybe a strap on nose that shoots out green candy?

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 8:37 pm

SOS = Strap on Snot….

• DJLoo said, on March 17, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Also a great Abba song…

18. sansabes said, on March 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Deal is a deal. Bum took the security. If his arm went bad, his deal would look beautiful.

19. snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 8:34 pm

blade, whatever you do, don’t fly Malaysian Airlines, OK?…

20. James said, on March 17, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I heard that Belt finally sought out Willie Mac’s wisdom, and the Gentle Giant advised the Sensitive Texan to return to his old grip.

• snarkk said, on March 17, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I would have thought Stretch would tell him to stop slumpin’ shoulders…

21. chipower9 said, on March 18, 2014 at 7:05 am

Not a big fan of the POTD, either. I think Bum is underpaid, but he and his agent had a ton of time to think about what they wanted, and to negotiate, and they signed the damned deal. The deal has two option years and incentives, so it is apparent that a lot of thought went into the contract. He is STARTING the second year of a five year deal (potentially seven year deal, with options). I’m sorry…but this year (one year into the contract) is not the time to negotiate a new deal. Maybe after the 2015 season (three years of the five under his belt).

And don’t get me wrong…I am a HUGE MadBum fan. I just don’t see any logic in renotiating a deal that is only a year old. Fuck, the ink is barely dry.

22. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:02 am

Weird, Snarkk. They ‘moderated’ my post off the the Brandon blog but posted yours. Basically the same . . .

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 11:03 am

Yeah, I looked for yours, didn’t see it, dropped mine in. Maybe they’ll get to mine and moderate it off, too. I’m a Belt fan, but if he isn’t talking to McCovey (and I’m saying IF because I know enough to not totally trust these writers) he’s a doofus…

23. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:11 am

RIght. you don’t rework a deal one year into it. If he wins the Cy Young the next 2 years, then you maybe set the table for discussions. Even then, that’s when the big money kicks in.

24. Bozo said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

So is the whole Bum contract deal because of Timmy’s contract? When Madison signed he said this, “Now I can go out there and just pitch, It kind of took the weight off my shoulders.” Has he said something different? Look the dude’s contract is like this, in 14:$3.75M, 15:$6.75M, 16:$9.75M, 17:$11.5M, 18:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout), 19:$12M club option. The option years can escalate to $14 million if he finishes in the top three for the NL Cy Young Award or $16 million if he wins it. That’s a hell of a lot of cows if you ask me.

• chipower9 said, on March 18, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I agree, John. And you beat me to it…I was going to lay out the numbers for his contract. And again…IF the Giants DID entertain the idea of a new deal before this one is done…I would think you would get at least to the mid-point of the contract (after the 2015 season…three years in on the five). Just my thoughts. And no, I have not heard a peep about Madison being not happy with his contract.

25. Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2014 at 11:03 am

Slow day in baseball talk, I am now flapping with Baseball Agents, which one of you is Scott Boras??

26. zumiee said, on March 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Yesterday’s Giants/Angels game was on the MLB network this morning….maybe Timmy has the mustache in order to distract the batters. They’ll be so busy laughing at his mustache that they’ll lose their concentration.
    He’s a crafty one, that Timmy….

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Given yesterday’s performance, he better grow a bigger mustache for more distraction…

27. chipower9 said, on March 18, 2014 at 1:30 pm

RE: Timmy…I say loose the mustache…looks goofy as hell…

28. snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Federal lawsuit filed against NCAA for anti-trust violations on behalf of all college football and basketball players. Includes a class action injunction request to stop the NCAA from prohibiting member schools from paying athletes. There is a longer, more detailed story on ESPN.com if you want to read it. This is a huge deal, getting not a lot of press. I said on the blog first probably two years ago that if I had the inclination and expertise, one thing I would do is sue the NCAA on behalf of college athletes. Now, it is happening. The NCAA is on the run on several different fronts. I see the NCAA as hugely changed in 5 years, maybe even gone and re-incarnated in another form. It is IMO a near criminal organization, clearly a monopoly, and not a benevolent one by any means. NCAA is getting something like $11 billion in rights fees over a decade for March Madness from CBS and TBS. The players share? NOTHING. The days of college players as slave labor are coming to an end in the not too distant future…

29. snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 1:54 pm

A way to raise money for colleges to help fund their other sports programs and women’s sports is that for every kid that makes a pro basketball and football team, the NCAA or whatever organization survives that oversees college sports, the NBA and the NFL have to contribute money to that kid’s school’s athletic program or to that school’s conference. The conference takes that money and distributes to member schools’ athletic depts. Oh, say $500K or $1million per kid. In the NFL, 7 rounds of 32 drafted = 224 drafted kids. So, $224 million doled out to college football conferences. If they make the team, add in another $500K or $1 million per kid that makes it. The NFL is soon going to be a $15 billion a year business. $225 million to $400 million a year is very reasonable to make the user of talent pay for the talent development. Recognize the work done by the schools to develop that kid that the NBA and NFL now gets for free as de facto minor leagues. Rules for compensation of schools for signing of their undrafted free agents would also be included. Essentially, a royalty system for pro talent needs to happen if college football and basketball players are going to be paid. The gravy train of colleges and the pro leagues and dipsticks like Jim Irsay getting filthy rich off unpaid and uneducated college kids has to end. Goody Goodell makes $44million per year — but the NFL can’t afford to pay colleges for developing the feedstock of its teams? Ha ha ha…

30. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Why should the NFL pay when it’s the NCAA that is getting away with murder here? Maybe the NFL should, too, but that’s a different argument. The NCAA is reaping hundreds of millions off the players in both football and basketball.

I have no idea how they should pay this out. Maybe a percentage of gross profit goes to the athletes. If so, this would kill enrollment to smaller schools I’d think. But what of other college sports programs? You pay out to football players, do you now have to pay out to the rowing team?

I’m with ya, I just don’t see how this would ever get rolling. THere are way too many rich people making too much money to let it change.

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm

The NFL should pay because it has a free minor league system now. Everybody knows that. How it can be forced to pay, I haven’t figured that out yet. Shaming probably won’t do a lot of good… ;)

• unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Shit, the fricking coaches get multi-million contracts from these universities. The players should get a piece of that action. From the schools.

31. Flavor said, on March 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm

this is hilarious

32. wswin said, on March 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

And you guys thought the garlic fries were expensive?

• zumiee said, on March 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm

A person can pay $25 AND clog their arteries. What an awesome lose/lose situation.

33. Flavor said, on March 18, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Chuck, I understand that you and San Dawg and your two dating kids drank and were merry this past Sunday. Nice. That is still one of if not THE weirdest coincidence I’ve ever seen…..
    There’s a 4/25 game vs the Tribe that San Diggity is trying to hype up. Maybe a mini-Flapalooza to prepare for the grand Flapalooza later in the Summer? Bring the two youngsters just to give them the thrill of partying with some core Flap vets?

• zumiee said, on March 18, 2014 at 5:50 pm

S-Dawg wants a Duane Kuiper bobblehead, and who can blame him?!! :) Bobbleheads rule!

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I hope you guys can wait until May (and/or have another one) . . . Going to be in town for a few weeks and would love to attend a mini-Flap fest.

• unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2014 at 8:15 pm

4/25 happens to be my birthday (53). This is a possible…

34. zumiee said, on March 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Is the internet awesome or what. You can scroll down this website to see April bobbleheads in MLB.
    Kuiper’s bobblehead is in a Cleveland uni. That’s kinda unique.
    And Pence on a scooter.

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2014 at 6:40 pm

when I turned 40, my buddies gave me a bobble head of myself sitting on the toilet. Good quality, too. Sits on my desk at work staring at me. Every now and then I smack his (my) head just for “shits” (literally) and giggles..

• zumiee said, on March 18, 2014 at 7:42 pm

LOL.
        POTD.

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 7:51 pm

When you turn 55, your buds can give you a BF bobblehead that has hemorrhoids…

35. SanDawg said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I want to go to the 4/25 game IN SPITE of Kuiper bobblehead. I can’t stand bobbleheads and, now that Zito is gone, Kuip may be my least favorite member of the Giants organization. Ironically, the last game I went to was Zito bobblehead day! I do say kudos to all concerned for putting him in an Indians uni for his b-head, seeing as he hardly played for the Giants. Do the Indians have any openings for announcers?

36. SanDawg said, on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 pm

By the way, It was awesome having dinner with the whole Unca Chuck clan on Sunday! Thanks again for a great time, Chuck—you have a great family!

I was in Santa Rosa for 2 nights attending a conference for work. Here is a quick rundown of my culinary experiences while up north:

The Good:
    -Chicken Enchiladas with Chuck et al Sunday. Great company and great food.
    -Grilled Chicken Sando at Mary’s Pizza in Santa Rosa yesterday. Perfectly cooked chicken on FRESH foccaccia bread with a nice diverse salad thrown in the on the side. At that point, I was pondering a move to Santa Rosa just so I could regularly dine at this place.
    -Corned Beef and Cabbage at “The Stout” (I think that was the name) in downtown SR last night. Cabbage fell apart when you hit it with a fork and the sides were spot on. I even broke character and had a Guinness.

The Bad
    -Went back to Mary’s today and had the hot dog special–wrapped in pizza dough with mozzarella cheese.
    $8 for the damn thing and it was a regular snack-bar sized hot dog with a bit of dough around it. Looked like something my babysitter made for me when I was in 5th grade–where you wrap a triangle shaped Pillsbury roll around a hot dog and stick it in the oven. Yes, a salad was included, but $8? I could have eaten 4 of ‘em-no problem. I ain’t moving to Santa Rosa after all.

The Ugly
    -Clam Chowder in a bread bowl at Legends at SFO while waiting for my delayed flight. Chowder wasn’t bad, but the bowl wasn’t fresh and that just ruined the experience. Of course it was $12 or something obscene like that.

Fun Fact: we did walk in to the Pliny Elder brewery place just to check it out. The micro-bews only written on a giant chalkboard is very much not a San Dawg scene, but they did have some great Hamm’s old-school signage that I appreciated.

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2014 at 6:27 am

great rundown! I’ve never been to Mary’s but people rave about it. If I’m ever up there, I’ll hit it up

37. snarkk said, on March 18, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Bochy’s trying to put a good spin on it, but Voggy got friggin’ torched tonight. He’s been clobbered two of the last three starts. If it happens next start, it’s uh oh time…

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2014 at 3:55 am

What do you mean this is “uh oh time?” This is worse – it could be as bad as San Dawg’s clam chowder.

38. willedav said, on March 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’m not weighing in on the contracts except to say that every time I see a column on Lincecum and his $35 mil deal for 2 years, it’s kind of odd that Bum will pitch next 4 yrs. through 2017 and not make that much.
    Because here’s the deal for me: I have no idea what to expect from TL. The game day before yesterday seems like so many others from last 2 years, where he has one really bad inning and gives up 5 in a short stint. He’s saying he doesn’t care to K everyone and has to trust his mechanics and study hitters with Posey, yada yada, pitch to contact, all the right things. Can he really make this happen with the ball in his hands?
    No matter how you slice it his numbers last 2 years are not good, ERAs of over 5.00 and 4.37 last year. Every pitching stat is worse–more hits, more walks, fewer Ks. Last 2 years he gave up 44 HRs, whereas previous 3 he gave up 43.
    He wasn’t any better second half of last year than first, either. He had 2 decent months of 3.60 ERA sandwiched around 2 of over 4.30, and of course one earlier one of over 6.00 when he was getting cuffed around. It’s sad to see guys whack his shit all over the yard when he gets in trouble, as in they ignore his breaking stuff to wait for a hittable fastball when he is not ahead in the count and in the stretch.
    How much better than last year can you reasonably expect him to be? Can he really lop another half run or more off his ERA and get it down nearer 3.50/3.75?

39. Bozo said, on March 19, 2014 at 7:40 am

He has won two Cy’s and he threw a no no last year, yeah I expect him to figure it out and turn it around. What the Giants have paid Tim the last few years is a hell of a lot less than the 5 year $100 mil they offered him in 2012 that he turned down. By the way, I’ve got to believe that what happened to Tim after he turned down that deal, was in Bumgarner’s mind when he signed his long term deal.

40. Nipper said, on March 19, 2014 at 8:23 am

Is it business or sport? Every time someone mentions contracts I wince. Who gets what and when are questions that never end. Some get overpaid and others the opposite happens. It’s best to just worry about the sport not the business. Let the professionals battle it out.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers