SF Giants Blogs Weigh in on the Most Important Questions (Maybe of All Time)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 20, 2014

Well, maybe not *of all time*.

A few days ago, I told you guys about the Cardinal blogger (Daniel Shoptow) who was putting together a Q/A thread for other Giants blog writers. Here is the link to it with 3 other Giant blog writers giving their *esteemed* opinions.

Surprisingly, three of us agreed about Zito.

I don’t read very many blogs that aren’t my own. It was nice to read a snippet of what other Giants fans are writing about, or at least experience a slice of the non-Flap world (like one even exists, right?) :) All things considered, it sounded a lot like what we say around here.

But for me, it’s all about Flavor Nation.

Let’s fire this be-atch up and get the season started already.

___________________

I’m not sure when this pic was taken, he only looks about 14 or so,  but I thought it was time we gave ourselves an updated vision of what Darren Baker looks like now—last time I saw him, JT was scooping him up at home plate. Anyone got a better one?

bake

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I love the NCAA tourney and college ball. But, the endless endless time outs and free throws at the end of college games gets really annoying, especially when the game is realistically out of hand…

2. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I was positive we won the series at that moment.
    After Game 6 I had no doubt we would lose it and that they would never win in in my lifetime.

3. Flavor said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Scoots had his second injection of the spring today saying “the first one didn’t work.”
    I am a complete 100% believer that this dude is done. Thoughts?

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I’m 90% there, since I don’t ever believe jack about anything the Giants say about injuries and medical situations. Remember, they said he’d be ready to play the opener. I’m not ticked at Scuts, hey, an injury is an injury. What is weird is that he had an entire offseason to rehab and work on it with the Giants involvement, yet he shows up to ST camp and can’t play, hell, can’t even swing a bat — and the Giants seem to have been surprised? No real second baseman plan B lined up, unless plan B was Arias, Abreu or Adrianza? Don’t they have telephones available in the off season? Either SF didn’t know he was that bad, or they did, and are hiding that for some reason. Whatever, I don’t get it. If he needs to retire, then retire, and the Giants free up his $6M per year through 2015. Some of you guys will have him just endorse his checks over to MadBum…

4. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Great job with the *esteemed* opinion poll, Flav.

I hope Darren Baker doesn’t hate baseball by the time he’s 18.

Opening day I won’t have my eyes closed wile I holler Marco, to an answer of Polo from the internet abyss. No sir, my eyes will be open and watching Scutaro take the field.

5. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:31 pm

How juiced was Rich Aurilia in 2001?

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Well, with 37 HRs and a .941 OPS, let’s just say he had a career year…

6. zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm

“Let’s fire this be-atch up and get the season started already.”

Hey, that’s what I’m talking about- it starts tomorrow night, just past midnight! I expect there to be some Flappers posting with me during that Dodger/D-Backs game!! Especially the ones in other parts of the world. That game time should be right in their wheel-house! Edd, Blade, Paul in Asia (if Paul is in Asia at the moment. He is, right?)

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Yes, he is Zum . . . China, to be exact. Per my calculations – one day, 3 hours and 36 minutes until Snake and Bum showdown. Ha. :-)

7. zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Talkin’ about Game 6 of the ’02 Series…..a Giant hit a homerun (Dunston maybe?) to make the score 5-0 and I remember feeling we’re actually going to win this thing! I began to feel some euphoria.
    And, well, we all know how that worked out.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I knew somebody jinxed it… ;)

• zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Premature Euphorification. It’ll get a team every time. Now I don’t believe anything until the final out of the clinching game. Up 3 games to none against Detroit? I wasn’t believing anything until Romo punched out the final batter in Game 4.

8. zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm

“If he needs to retire, then retire, and the Giants free up his $6M per year through 2015″

Who does that these days? When’s the last time a player gave the money back to a team like that? I’m sure it’s happened but I can’t think of a single case.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:46 pm

If he can’t play, zum, he can’t stay on the DL for 2 seasons. At least, I don’t think so. Anybody? And, I’d think the Giants would object. Seems to me this may be a little different than the Nenn situation where he was “rehabbing” for a season and a half, since he basically gave up his shoulder to try to save the WS. Its gotta be covered somewhere in the CBA…

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Alright, exhaustive research reveals Scuts likely will get paid his full deal, unless the Giants can prove he got hurt and had to retire due to activity prohibited in his contract. He didn’t try to lift Panda, did he?…

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Well this year, that might not even do it, right?

9. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I wonder if Barry’s kissed Nikolai since his last homer?

10. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Way to bring him in Pablo.

• Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

And a two out RBI for Pence.

11. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:17 pm

zumiee, I’m getting the game on the MLB channel here on the East Coast, are you able to get it tonight?

12. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Yes, Bozo. It’s on in NY.

• Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Bum was tossing some rockets up there, eh Loo?

• DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:36 pm

He probably can’t afford tissues on that pigeon shit they pay him…

13. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Tack on a grand salami and we have a very entertaining second inning.

14. zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I’m getting the game, Bozo, and it’s a great one to get!

15. salty said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Scutaro is looking like Huff redux. Think they wait to get someone at the deadline IF the rest of the team can stay healthy and in contention. Still believe they have enough offense without him to contend but S pitching has to be top 10 and that is looking doubtful.

16. paulinasia said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Craig and Snarkk, about Scutaro, I posted a week or two ago that we have possibly seen the last of him. At some point, an athlete has some pride, and also some sense, and if he can’t go, he can’t go. In any interview with him that I’ve heard or read, he has never sounded optimistic. I thought maybe he was sand-bagging us, but it’s possible he knows it’s almost done and he’s just giving it one last shot. But at some point, he’s just gotta say, you know what?, I had a good career, it’s time to hang up the cleats and move on to life after baseball. I think that time is very soon. Of course I’m no doctor, and I’m not Marco, but I have battled a back problem. It’s gotta be extremely frustrating for him. If it is over, the team should blow up that photo of Marco in the rain 2 years ago and put it permanently on the Wall of Fame.

• zumiee said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:19 pm

There might be a little tarnish to his legacy if he hangs around just to get the rest of the money. But it’s hard to blame him. He’s got $12 million coming to him in the next two years if all he does is struggle to get onto the field once in a while. How does someone walk away from $12 million?

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I think for a hard-nosed player like Scutaro, it would be equally hard (if not more so) to walk away from the game. I just don’t see him being a “mail it in” guy. But who knows…

• paulinasia said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Indeed, how does someone walk away from that… With his bad back, probably very painfully…. :-p

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Awesome post @ 8:14, Paul. And you may be right about Scoots being at the end of the line, but if anyone can turn it around and play through some pain (and be effective) it is him.

Are you back in China, Paul? Happy Trails wherever you are…

17. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Everybody, I mean everybody said Edgar Renteria was done in 2010, he wasn’t done until he won it. If I’m Scutaro I wouldn’t be in a hurry to hang em up and it looks like the Giants aren’t ready to DL him just yet. If all else fails, Freddy Sanchez is tanned, rested and ready.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Well, tanned and rested anyway. Like Meatloaf said, two outta three ain’t bad…

18. chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Awesome thread, Flavor. I’m heading over now to check out the link you provided.

19. snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I’m tellin you dudes, MadBum is headed for serious Cy contention this season. And if he wins it, his crackerjack agent got him a Cy-winning bonus of four “3-day Park Hopper” tickets at DisneyWorld…

• salty said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I picked him to win it last yr.

20. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Welfare-Boy looks ready for opening day. How many fuckin’ pitches are they gonna let him throw?

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Welfare-Boy…LMAO. Hey, like someone mentioned earlier….maybe Scoots will pass his coin along to Madison. But he does look great. I have said for some time that Bum will win a Cy. This may be the year.

21. salty said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:30 pm

One scenario re Marco would be surgery, effectively ending this year and making it tough on him returning next yr ala Freddie. The other would be to go on the DL for extended periods but remaining avail like they did with Huff. Then next yr they eat the 6m.
    No one admits they are done and walks away from guaranteed $. They usually wait to get DFA’d, then insist they can still play.

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Salt – I am pretty sure I read somewhere that surgery just won’t help Scoots. So he either comes around enough to play through it or he is done. Not sure I can see him sandbaggin’ it on the DL.

22. blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I hate to criticize Sabes, but I hope he formulated Plan B and C for Voggy and Scutaro expected face plants . . . If not, this is going to be another long season.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Blade, you were in my face late last year when I ripped on Voggy as being toast. Now, you’re doomin’ him more than I am. Vietnam given you clarity of mind?… ;)

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Yeah, I guess I am doomin’ (especially, after his last perfromance). As I responded to Chi – I was absolutely all for not resigning him at the beginning of the off season . . . Fast forward to the end of the Hot Stove Season, I was all right with the signing. Now, I am on the same page as you.*

* Blade reserves the right to change his mind at a moment’s notice – either due to dementia, a new woman in his life, Vietnamese food, or the myriad other excuses he can think of. :-)

23. chipower9 said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Nice line by MadBum tonight. 7 shutout IP with 9 Ks. He’s ready to rock and roll. Rest of the rotation…

24. blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm

By the by, for those of you who have asked . . . Paul is working in multiple Chinese cities, i.e., he spends a semester in a city, then moves to the next one. He just settled into his new digs in Xiamen city, Jimei University and will be there for 4 months.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Sheez, blade. Never heard of that city, looked it up, and it’s got nearly 4 million people in the metro, and ranked as very “livable” for China…

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Tom, overall – I believe Paul is happy doing this, but he would prefer a job in Thailand or a return to Vietnam. China is a much more conservative environment and his “wheelhouse” (especially regarding women) is more Vietnam and Thailand . . . if you get my drift. ;-)

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I am in Vung Tau with Thao, spending 4 days at this beautiful seaside resort . . .http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C5%A9ng_T%C3%A0u

25. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm

11-0, maybe the Giants can get their two bench guys, Pagan and Morse into the game.

26. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I haven’t forgiven Vietnam yet. Probably never will.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I haven’t forgiven LBJ, McNamara, Nixon and Kissinger…

• blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:51 am

Me either.

27. Bozo said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Back in the states, it’s bedtime for Bozo. Night all.

28. DJLoo said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:22 pm

29. wswin said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Stop the doom and gloom…example… James thought Mad bum was nothing after his so called audition period with his 85 mph fastball….

30. Macdog said, on March 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Aztecs survive in OT after collapse late in regulation. No doubt SanDawg is relieved.

31. zumiee said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:29 am

New thread is posted.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers