Midnight Madness! Midnight Baseball!

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on March 21, 2014

An hour past midnight, anyway, tonight (Pacific Time.) Thus starts the 2014 season. In Sydney, Australia. In a cricket stadium. And speaking of cricket, has there ever been a sport more impenetrable to those unfamiliar with it? What are those people DOING?!! Just trying to read a wikipedia article about the sport made me weep for mercy.

Image

A baseball diamond has now been carved into the grass, and there looks to be about 9 miles of foul territory for Kershaw to work with. Although, the word is that the ball carries very well in the….ballpark. Yeah, let’s call it a ballpark. Cricket uses a ball, too. That part I understood from the wikipedia article.

Image

No less an authority than Dee Gordon was quoted by ESPN as saying there’s going to be a lot of homeruns hit in the two games. Who knows more about hitting homeruns than DEE GORDON?!! Here’s the dimensions of the outfield according to ESPN: “328 feet down the line, with the power alleys at 370 feet and straight center field at 400.” Game time temperature is expected to be 84 degrees, with a slight breeze blowing toward the outfield. How about Goldschmidt hits 6 homeruns in the 2-game series, and the D-Backs put the Dodgers in an early 0-2 hole to start the season; thus putting the Dodgers in a “sticky wicket,” like I know what that means. I’m assuming that means something bad.

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:49 am

Cricket? I’m in!

• zumiee said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:56 am

What’s not to love about the sport?! :)
      “The bowler delivers the ball to the batsman who attempts to hit the ball with his bat away from the fielders so he can run to the other end of the pitch (which is counted as one run) without getting run out (the event in which the fielder throws the ball directly onto wickets or to a player who is near to wickets so he can dislodge them from the ground before the batsman or the nonstriker has reached the crease). Each batsman (the other is called non-striker) continues batting until he is out. The batting team continues batting until ten batsmen are out or specified number of overs(6 countable balls bowled is 1 over) have been bowled, at which point the teams switch roles and the fielding team comes in to bat.”

• zumiee said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:57 am

Is it just my computer, or do all the smiley faces look like they have John Boehner-like tans now?

• blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:41 am

I have a headache after that treatise on cricket Zumiee. ;-)

2. paulinasia said, on March 21, 2014 at 5:27 am

Steve, thanks for subbing for me on my whereabouts (not always able to comment here through the Great (Fire)Wall of China. Thanks for asking, Chi. Currently working as a “visiting foreign expert” business lecturer at several universities. Yes, Tom, Xiamen is usually voted most livable city in China, it’s actually quite lovely, a very hilly island city with ok beaches (for China…..). This year-long gig after leaving Saigon in June was really designed as a break from Vietnam… one can tend to get “Vietnamed-out” after a handful of years. Still considering whether to return to Saigon in the Fall or continue on in China. Zumie, believe it or not, I often watched cricket when I was in Saigon, just because there was no baseball to be seen and cricket is the closest thing to it that I could find on the TV. Don’t ask me to clarify the rules, though…. :-)

• blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:02 am

De nada Paul. ;-)

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:13 am

Glad to hear from you, Paul. I figured it was something simple like those commie bastards blocking you from the Flap.

Happy Trails my friend. Hope you are well.

3. Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 6:24 am

I didn’t think much about Adrian Gonzalez hurting his back sightseeing, until I saw this picture from his day off. Whatever floats your boat AGon, but you might want to stay away from those rough and tumble lads, while down under.

4. Wilcojoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 7:51 am

I had no idea these games actually counted….I thought it was an exhibition. Didn’t the A’s do something like this in Japan a few years back and then came home to play the Giants in the Bay Bridge series? I love the idea of playing overseas, but I don’t like it this early…I always loved how traditionally Opening Day was the same day as the NCAA championship game. To me that Monday was the best sports day of the year…This waters it down a bit.

5. willedav said, on March 21, 2014 at 7:52 am

I actually agree with Cranky, this whole thing is dumb. Both teams fly 13 plus hours to play in a country that really doesn’t give a flying F about the sport to play real league games in a stadium not designed for it in the first place. Then fly back and start play in USA vs. teams who don’t have to deal with jet lag and never left country.

Since my co. is travel related, I’d like to hear opinions from those who have made similar flights and their experience coping with jet lag

Not a good night for Pac 12 as ASU lost heart breaker at buzzer and Colo got worked over. For Oregon leading scorer was kid who grew up in Mil, as his dad is Alvin Robertson of Arkansas. Played for Nellie who had a great defensive team in those days and regularly won 50 games–Sidney Moncreif, Paul Pressey, Harvey Catchings, Marques J, Alton Lister and a couple great shooters Brian Winters and Junior Bridgeman. Saw these guys live in Oaktown, great team. And Nellie could coach D.

• blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:15 am

Just my experience Willie, but jet lag is significant for me when it entails crossing an ocean. It usually takes me 4-7 days before I feel myself again. I didn’t shit for 5 days upon arriving in Vietnam. Ha!

By the by, that trip to Oz was more like 20 hours plus, unless they did a charter flight or found a carrier which flew nonstop. Doubtful for any of us regular folks, as minimally – you have to stop in Nadi, Fiji Islands.

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:18 am

I would typically agree with you WillieD…but when it is the Bums and Snakes…fuck yeah…let them get jet-lagged until the cows come home. I am with Blade…jet lag can totally fuck ya up. I remember coming back from Japan, non-stop from Tokyo to SF. 20+ hour flight and when we landed it was “earlier” than it was when we took off in Tokyo.

So I hope the Bums and Snakes are jet-lagged big time. Would love to see the Bums in an 0-2 hole, too.

6. Nipper said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:13 am

BLEEP CRICKET! Real games should be played in the USA.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:26 am

Great thread Zum.

Not sure if you guys have seen this but I thought it was pretty awesome.

• unca_chuck said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

Congress passed something???

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:38 am

I guess there are only so many post offices to rename or meaningless ACA repeal votes that can be held.

8. Alleykat said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:28 am

I do like the sounds of Crickets in my backyard in summer time, just not the sport!!πŸ˜ƒ

9. pawliekokonuts said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:37 am

It’s dumb because (a) it puts two teams at a disadvantage because of the crazy travel) (sure, I’m glad THIS year to see those two teams disadvantaged but some day it will be the Giants; didn’t they veto such a venture a few years ago?) and (b) it is a misplaced, misguided venture into “global” marketing. Yeah. Right. And I don’t get cricket, either, though they say it is growing in places like NYC (there’s a cricket field, maybe the oldest in the country, on Staten Island; cf. the novel Neverland) owing to the immigrant population.

The more serious question is this: Is baseball in danger of becoming “cricket” to a whole generation? Does our sport look as mysterious, cerebral, slow, and Victorian to today’s hip-hop-driven kids? A friend asserted to me the other day, on the phone, that baseball will become extinct, that it is too slow, blah blah blah. (He’s a Phillies fan. Let’s talk about the Jimmy Rollins Soap Opera another day.)

10. unca_chuck said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’m with Wilcoe. I had no idea these games counted That field or pitch or whatever they call that shit looks like the foul ground at the masoleum,

11. Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 9:09 am

Not so sure if the time of play helps or hurts as far as young fans go. I’ve always felt that most sports fans chose a favorite sport because they played the game or it was the most popular sport in the house they were raised in. Basketball and football use schools as their minor leagues so many kids today, opt for one of those sports instead of baseball, and it’s low paying minor league clubs. Many of those kids would have been playing baseball in the past, at least that’s how I see it.
    Baseball sure has Cricket beat as far as length of a game, doesn’t a typical Cricket match go all day?

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:00 am

International “test” matches go on for days…

12. snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 9:42 am

Nice thread, zumiee. Good stuff. I don’t see this Oz series as a big deal. MLB sent players and teams to Japan in the 20s and 30s, with the famous all star tour in ’34 with Babe Ruth. By then, baseball was already popular and played in Japan with pro leagues. This trip is just a marketing junket to help sell more licensed crap across Oz and Asia. Few in Sydney went to the first exhibition game twixt the Dodgers and the local Oz team. Then the Oz team actually beat the Dbacks 5-0. Here’s a link to the Sydney Herald sports page, read the articles on the baseball visit and games. Fun to read how the writers describe the action (scroll down left side of page view). http://www.smh.com.au/sport Apparently they expect huge crowds for the two real games…

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the link, snarkk. And as you said on your previous post…some cricket matches stretch across days. Wonder if they stop selling beer at some point (similar to our end of the 7th inning).

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:02 am

I only caught a little bit of last nights game against the Friars. What I did see was Gary Brown booting the ball around in the outfield and making poor throws into the infield. Did anyone else see his recent comments to Baggs or Pav, I can’t remember which? Basically he said he wasn’t interested in changing his approach at the plate and blah, blah, blah. Time to move this guy or what?

• Alleykat said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:25 am

Yeah Dirt, the one play I watched last night, Gary totally fucked up a line drive to center,diving at it coming up with just a face plant,as it skipped by for a triple.Not impressed at all with him!!
      Guy who looked slimmed down and ripped a bases clearing double was Hector Sanchez, that was a positive to see,with 2 outs after pencil mustache kid,no name on the jersey, #86 Jarret Parker took 3 strikes looking! And that’s why they don’t put a name on some camp players..

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

Sanchez definitly looks to be in great shape. And he should be after the fiasco during ST last year (his ass showed-up fat and out of shape). He has also been playing some at 1st…

14. snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

Yep, I’ve also noticed the smiley faces have suddenly changed appearance… ;)

• Alleykat said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:07 am

πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ˜Šβ˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜šπŸ˜—πŸ˜™πŸ˜œπŸ˜πŸ˜›πŸ˜³πŸ˜πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜’πŸ˜žπŸ˜£πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜žπŸ˜πŸ˜±πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜³πŸ˜£πŸ˜›πŸ˜œπŸ˜’πŸ˜™πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜—πŸ˜šπŸ˜„πŸ˜‚

15. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:22 am

Dirt – I did see a short piece on the domed coins, but the article was not as extensive as the piece you shared. Very cool. I’m going to snap up a few of these bad boys.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

I was thinking the same thing.

16. stixwiz said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:24 am

Sticky wicket, Zum? Experienced one of those shortly after my 12th birthday upon awakening in the morning. Made me swear off cricket. That game strikes me as a strange hybrid between baseball, bocce and croquet. Likely thunk up by some wiggy Englishman wearing a trilby and carrying a bumbershoot. Could have been the result of a breakfast of tea and crumpets following an overindulgence in black and tans at the local the night before.

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

LMAO…great post, Stix. You should update the Wikipedia page for cricket.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

So you beat the bat or was it an agricultural shot?

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:15 am

Agricultural shot…that’s awesome.

17. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:27 am

Pawlie – in reference to your 8:37 (damned “Post Comment” button disappears when I try to comment directly on a previous comment), no way baseball ever dies. It is still a game woven throughout generations. My daughter is a key example. She is engaged to a baseball coach, and I can guarantee you that their kids will be woven into the fabric, too. And there are many other families just like this. Long live the greatest game in the history of man…baseball…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:41 am

The sad part is the lack of African Americans in the game today…My nephews play baseball year round, including on travel teams….This shit is not cheap. I go to several of their games, and the kids are all rich, white kids. Their parents can afford the hotel rooms, meals, and league fees…Unfortunately if you want to keep playing ball into your high school years, this is the only way to do so, especially in the ΓΌber competitive sport state that is Texas.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

I don’t ever remember having to try out for coach pitch little league. If your kid doesn’t make it, they have a “every kid gets a trophy” league that they can join.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:56 am

Trying out at that age is lame. I don’t remember having to try out for any team until teenage years. My daughter is just getting into organized sports and it has been eye opening to say the least. Getting another parent to participate in practice or do anything more than check out on their IPhone is near impossible.

• unca_chuck said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Yup. I got roped into coaching both my daughter’s soccer teams, basketball teams, and softball teams mainly through being one of the only guys to show up. Same with my son’s baseball.

18. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:37 am

Awesome thread, Zum.

I used to travel to the UK on business. There was an engineer there who was on my team of business analysts, and he took me under his wing. Got into soccer (football) and still enjoy watching it, but I’ll be damned if I could ever get the gist of cricket. Odd fucking game to say the least. Here is a link I found that describes “wicket” (seems it can have multiple meanings in a cricket match).

I’ll be up watching some of the Bum/Snake game.

19. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:53 am

Well, Bum, Posey, Pence and Pablo all look ready to being playing for keeps. Hoping rest of the rotation comes around, tho not holding my breath on Vogey.

I think it is still too early to call the last spots on the 25. IFer-wise, whether or not Scoots can go plays hard on that decision. If he can’t go, I see them going four OFers and Hicks and Adrianza both make the club. Perez wold probably be the short guy out there.

Last bullpen spots are up for grabs, too, IMO.

Not sure if everyone saw this, but this has the latest on Scoots (second epidural injection) and Pagan and Morse…both played in a AAA game last night, and Morse went yard (and said his calf feels great). Crazy Horse had multiple ABs, but I did not see a box, so not sure how he did.

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:25 am

Article says Cain scheduled into pitching a minor league game, not an MLB tune up. Hmmm. Lost in the Scuts scuttleback is Pagan having his own (lower) back problems — played last night for first time in 10 days. Hmmm. Kruk on KNBR had his usual glass full take on Scutaro — he said through personal experience the “second” epidural usually works, if “they” (medicos) find and inject it into the right spot. Close to what he said, but paraphrasing. Sorry Kruk, but when you’ve had two epidurals within a few weeks, my glass is half full — of Makers…

• Alleykat said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:51 am

Agree Snarkk, 2 epidural shots for Scoots? Not a good sign.Hell women only need 1 during pregnancy!
        Chi..My guess is the Giants go with 5 Outfielders for sure ,Pagan,Reverend,Morse, Blanco & Colvin
        Ehire sticks as well, kid shows great poise and really flashes the leather on D, they wil not lose him to another team if their smart!

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:57 am

With ya Kat. I saw a highlight of Adrianza making a stellar pick and throw at SS the other night. If he hits, Crawford better get his stick in gear…

• Chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Kat – If Scoots can go, and they go with five OFers, no way in hell Colvin takes that 5th spot over Perez.

Perez – 18 games, 48 ABs (tops on the team), .313, .400, .563, .963

Colvin – 8 games, 19 ABs, .158, .158, .368, .526.

Sorry…between all the guys vying for that 5th spot…Perez is way ahead (in my book and stat-wise). Plus, I think he has the better arm, too.

I think Brandon Hicks makes the team before Colvin (he can play some IF and OF). Saw him start a game at each while I was in AZ…he looked pretty damned good, and he is hitting .394 in 19 games with 33 Abs.

I think Adrianza makes the team, but he needs to hit to stay there. He’s hitting a paltry .194 right now. Mudbug is hitting .231 and picks just as good as Ehire, IMO.

I’m with ya snarkk on Scoots (this is a classic example of Kruk being too much of a fucking homer). Pour me a Makers, too….make it a double!

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Kat, speaking of epidurals, Mrs. Snarkk went all natural with the two Snarkkettes. No drugs at childbirth, nada. Not in a hospital, in a birth home with a midwife. I was there, talk about “toughing it out”. Scuts and his back pain has nothin’ on birthin’ a baby the old fashioned way…

20. WilcoJoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:27 am

I go 14-2 in my bracket yesterday, only to see a team (Duke) that I had going to the final game, lose in the first game on Friday…Gotta love March Madness!

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:52 am

More proof of my thesis that these “upsets” are upsets only if one believes the rankings and seedings are accurate. They aren’t. When upsets become a semi-norm at the 12/5 and now 14/3 level, that indicates lots of teams, indeed conferences, are overrated by the media, eastern in particular. BTW, this Duke “upset” couldn’t happen to a better victim, Coach “Shusefsky”. He publicly looked down his haughty nose and dissed the Atlantic 10 conference the other day as not worthy of 6 NCAA bids compared to the great crucible of the ACC, then he gets TOASTED by little Mercer of the Atlantic Sun jugernaut conference. The schadenfreude across the A-10 and nation’s college basketball coaches must be epic…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Yeah Duke and NC use to be quite the power houses. But once money from the NBA started to grow and the NBA accepted 18 year old in, college parity became the norm. The good players leave college now after 1 or 2 years to get the money, who needs a College championship. So the smaller schools whose players stay for 4 years are better and stronger than the Devils and the Tar Heels.

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Agree with you, Kev. And, the only coach I’d like to see get hosed even more than Coach K is Boeheim. (Sorry Pawlie). He is an arrogant, power-tripping jerk, with plenty of anecdotes over his eons at the ‘Cuse to support that…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Yeah, I had Duke in the elite 8!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Snarkk, I’m no huge Boeheim, or even SU, fan, but hey, they “own” the town. Duke lost? Glad to hear it.

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I went 12-4. So much for that ONE BILLION DOLLARS (queue Dr. Evil voice). I got had by Dayton, Harvard, Texas, and Connecticut. Fuckers. Mercer got me today.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:36 am

No shit, Snarkk. I’m no ballplayer but with the problems I’ve had with my back, a sneeze can set me back a week. I played tennis a couple months ago, and I was in agony for 3 weeks. Baseball is more of the same twisting, lunging, and all that bad shit for your back.

22. Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm

International Baseball. Why? Is the Country lobbying Bud for teams to come over? Or is he lobbying to play there?? How many Aussies are playing pro ball here and where did they go to play? These should be preseason games and they should be played early in spring training IMO. Like someone else said, someday it could be the Giants who are on a 20 hour flight back to the USA. I have never watched a Cricket game. I have tried to watch soccer, boring as hell. I don’t know which is harder to watch on TV, Golf, Bowling or Soccer. Oh and lets not forget NASCAR.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on March 21, 2014 at 12:45 pm

By way of explanation, of course I am not HOPING that baseball dies. But in northern climes do you see kids even tossing the ball around as I did as a kid? Rarely. And rarely African-American kids. That is unfortunate — and not good for the future of the game. I am merely saying, the game skews old and white, mostly. Certainly skews Latino but not so much up north. Maybe I’m wrong.

24. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Pawlie – I get your drift. Yes, the game has changed as far as the make-up of the kids playing the game now, but I don’t see baseball going anywhere. I too find the lack of African American youth playing the game as troubling. But I think our game will be just fine…like everything…it evolves…

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I don’t see any rebound of baseball interest among black youth anytime soon. It’s too far down the interest level in that community, and has no inside support. Apparently the chance, albeit small, of making $10M a year for a decade in MLB without getting your brain concussed is not enough to change the interest in making $6M a year in the NFL unguaranteed and getting your brain concussed and your legs ready for artificial knees at 50. I don’t want to think about what Frank Gore’s body is going to be doing to him in 20 years, but young athletes should definitely be thinking about it…

25. snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Stanfoo gagged in the second half, but hung on to beat N.Mexico and advance to the 2nd round. At this point, I’m a Pac12 fan, so good for them…

26. snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

4th pitcher in ST in need of TJ surgery — Tigers set up guy…

27. Alleykat said, on March 21, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Mrs.Snarkk is the true definition of the “Ultimate Gamer”!!!

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Got that right…

28. WilcoJoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Heartbreaking news about Iowa’s head coach and his family…I know I will be holding my boys a little bit tighter tonight.

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Good news though, Wilco, is that thyroid cancer is in the vast majority of cases very treatable, and curable. Hopefully, this is no exception…

29. zumiee said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

The Giants/A’s game is on the Giants’ Comcast channel tonight, 6:30 PM (Pacific Time.)
    A stellar performance from the G-men last night. Even the Javy Lopez outing wasn’t troubling, IMO. How often in the regular season is Lopez going to face some of the righthanded hitters he faced last night, especially that big guy Blank?
    Brown was atrocious in the outfield, though, as a couple of folks mentioned. He did get a single, but he looked like a Friday night softball guy out there in the outfield. He’s supposedly a good fielder. Maybe he’s just pressing so much, trying to do too much.

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Lopez’ outings against RH hitters this spring just confirm that he better stick with facing LH hitters. He’s a tire fire against RH hitters…

30. zumiee said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:24 pm

On the concern for baseball interest in the younger generations…..I swing back and forth on the issue. Sometimes I’m optimistic, and other times the opposite. The sport is better on TV than it’s ever been, but it still is best seen in person once in a while; and like so many things, cost is prohibitive for a lot of people. Minor league games are an option, but the crowds at those aren’t as big as they could be. There are many nights when you go to a Single A game, and it just seems like there’s a couple of hundred people there, even though the announced attendance will be a 1,000+ or something. I think a lot of people and businesses buy season tickets, but miss a lot of the games. Why not donate those tickets to schools or something? And the teams themselves, minor league especially, could be more creative about promoting their product to youth.
    I’m very happy that baseball has passionate fans, so I try not to worry much about the “casual fan,” which sports are always chasing after. They’re the people that jump on and off the bandwagon, depending on a team’s fortunes. They are important revenue, but they’re so flakey. :)

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Glad you are back in the Flap saddle, zum…

31. Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I have always loved mid week day games. Besides the playing hooky aspect, I loved seeing the older retirees at the game, hell, I wanted to join that club. When I worked, I had season tickets and could go to any game that I wanted and day games was a huge part of my schedule, seeing the older folks keeping score and sharing stories, a huge bonus. Now that I’m retired, because of location, I’m not even close to being able to be one of those folks that I so admired. Will kids today see the beauty of an afternoon game and enjoy it’s leisurely pace? Going forward, will live baseball even be affordable for kids or those retirees? I don’t know, but I gotta hope so.

32. DJLoo said, on March 21, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Baseball has no “gangsta” appeal…

• DJLoo said, on March 21, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Except for the Cincinnati Reds cap fancied by the Crips…

• DJLoo said, on March 21, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Sorry, meant the “Bloods”

• unca_chuck said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm

The broken star of the Astros is some kind of big gang deal

33. Wilcojoe said, on March 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

15 million entrants in Buffett’s challenge, and no perfect brackets remain.

• snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 11:54 am

Nor telephone answering machines without four hellos from Quicken Loans….

34. Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

We score, we win.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers