Tough Cuts, A Gold Comment and a BBOTD Update

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 21, 2014

Rough day for fan favorites. Mark Minicozzi and Brett Bochy got the ax today. Five other guys got the boot too, but after those two I didn’t feel like seeing who the rest were. It’s been long enough of a day, as is.

Minicozzi’s story is epic and he hit a bomb in his first at bat of the Spring. But he dialed it way back down after that hitting .194 for the Spring. The scribes like to follow how Bruce Bochy cuts his son every year. Last year, he lowered the boom over dinner. This year he kicked him to the curb over breakfast. So naturally there was this GOLD comment from Baggarly:

bbochy

And that’s about it for today. Hope your brackets are still breathing. I did 2 of them, failing pretty bad in the Billion, holding a very solid 3rd (out of 48) in my work pool. And outside of slapping another BBOTD up there, it’s just one more day we can X off the calendar till we hit March 31st.

Bring it.

About these ads

1. Flavor said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

cool article written about Voggy from the Kutztown University perspective:

• Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I read something like that, and damn I hope he has one more year left in that arm.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

Nice article. Thanks.

2. ewisco said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I don’t know flav. i’m kind of enjoying the pace. there’s just a nice buzz going on with ST, and MM and nfl FA. world cup soccer is going to start heating up and by god, there’s always cricket.

3. Bozo said, on March 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I wanted to see Law pitch, and now I have. That SOB is good.

4. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Nice thread, Flav. No surprises really. It really is time to dial in the 25. I will be surprised in Minicozzi doesn’t play first sack for Fresno, and if he does decent, he’ll get a September call-up. Sounds like Bochy has an opportunity, too. I did not get to see him pitch while I was in AZ, but did see Minicozzi a couple of times. He handles himself pretty damned well around 1st base.

Adrianza had another night struggling at the plate. I know he is out of options, but if he continues to hit under .200 and really only plays one position (SS) it is going to be tough. I saw Hicks in a couple of ST games. He started in the OF one game, and hit a HR against the Bums in their yard. We saw another where he started at 2nd, and he looked pretty damned good there, too. I like his flexibility, and he is hitting the ball well this spring.

And John – yes…Law has the goods. HIs numbers in San Jose last year were unreal. .818 WHIP and 45 Ks in 25.2 IP. I could see him getting a cup of coffee in September, too.

Good to see Pagan and Morse out there again. Morse looked lost tonight.

Anyway…I am fricking pumped…cannot wait for the 31st. Anyone who lives in the Bay planning on going to the yard to watch the game?

5. Macdog said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:19 pm

At least Bochy’s kid is still in the Giants organization: http://tinyurl.com/q5flv5l

6. Macdog said, on March 21, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Late-night fun: Spot the Typo in this Nets-Celtics game story on ESPN. Hint: It’s near the end in the Game Notes. http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489899

7. zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 1:14 am

A rain delay in Australia. The baseball gods have a sense of humor. :)

• blade3colorado said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:57 am

I hope the delay is interminable Zum . . .

8. Macdog said, on March 22, 2014 at 5:09 am

Damn, Dodgers won.

9. willedav said, on March 22, 2014 at 8:09 am

I couldn’t believe what happened to VCU, fouling a guy shooting a 3 and blowing a 4 pt lead with less than 10 seconds left. Beleaguered Dawkins takes down higher seed, and his mentor K is embarrassed again with an early exit.
    I think there has been record number of OT games so far, exciting action.
    Surprised to see Hembree back down again. Henry’s quote, “Hembree’s departure is good news for George Kontos and Dan Runzler…” I can see Law, but these two? How many guys still to cut?

• chipower9 said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:00 am

Agree. There are other guys (sans the experience at ML level) who have impressed. I think they just want Hembree to get regular work.But damn…his numbers are good.

10. willedav said, on March 22, 2014 at 8:34 am

Saw the LA/AZ box…Justin Turner playing 2b and batting second? Guy had decent season 2011 for Mets then hardly played last 2 years. Seems like replacement level player, .260 hitter, avg. defensively. East Coast guys have any insights?
    Puig 0-5 with 3 Ks, hope that’s a harbinger of things to come. Although if Van Slyke kid turns out to be a player LA would have depth and trade chips in the OF.
    I still think Trumbo deal was dumb move by AZ; they seem to redo the OF every year but still play .500 ball. Lot of smoke and action for not much result; Towers wheels and deals but they don’t really contend.

11. chipower9 said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:01 am

I tried to stay up and watch some of the game…didn’t make it. Phuck the Bums…

12. Macdog said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:14 am

I saw a little of the 8th and 9th. Wilson threw a 1-2-3 8th, striking out Hill and Prado, one a caught looking, after going full count on both. In between, Goldschmidt smacked the first pitch right at the CFer. On Puig’s last AB, the AZ reliever hung one just outside and Puig crushed it, but the announcer said the wind knocked it down and it was a flyout to CF. Otherwise, it might’ve gone out.

It certainly was weird watching a game at 7:30 in the morning, but at least it was a real game. At least tonight’s game starts at a more reasonable time here in the U.S.

13. WilcoJoe said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:19 am

I predicted a couple weeks back that Law would make the club and I still stand by that…I don’t trust Huff, based on his past numbers, but I will say that Bochy and company have done a helluva job when it comes to filling out their pen the last several years.

• salty said, on March 22, 2014 at 11:22 am

Yep.

Wold Xpct to see Law up soon if he doesn’t make the final cut.
      Also, Can’ get too high on Hicks with his career numbers.

14. zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm

The Dodgers flaunted their outfield depth, with sub Van Slyke hitting a double and HR. The game wasn’t quite the home run slug-fest Dee Gordon predicted. Van Slyke’s HR was a 328 1/2 foot cue-shot into the rightfield corner.
    And it seemed like the homeplate ump was giving Kershaw a Glavine-esque-sized strikezone to work with. Krukow has talked before about how a pitcher, with great stuff, can get into a groove with a homeplate ump, and the ump will start expanding the strikezone, even if it’s just a subconscious thing. Umps dig shorter game times.
    Tonight maybe the D-Backs’ bats will awaken.

15. snarkk said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Took Mrs. Snarkk into SF last night and saw Berlin at the ol’ Bimbo’s venue. To be accurate, Terri Nunn is still fronting, everybody else is not the old Berlin gang. She’s still in pretty damn good form for about 53, in fact, really damn good, singing and hot for her age. Played a mix of the old stuff and some new stuff that was actually pretty good, the band was tight. Place was jammed, good time. Restaurant recommendation: Vicoletto’s on Green near Stockton. Little Italian joint, great fish, great pasta. Grilled squid appetizer was outrageously tasty…

• zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Cool! I’ve seen some nice shows at Bimbo’s over the years. Aimee Mann, Alejandro Escovedo, Peter Green, and a few others.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I have had the opportunity to meet Alejandro on a few occasions in Austin…A true gentleman and one of the most underrated musicians of my lifetime….His electric guitar solo during Velvet Guitar is probably in my top five favorite solos of all time….Think I might go listen to A Man Under the Influence right now.

16. zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Posey had a very productive 6th inning today. 2 singles, an RBI, a run-scored, and a stolen base, all in the same inning. A stolen base?! Hudson pitched well, and had 2 hits. Perez has an HR.

• snarkk said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Bench is looking better…

17. DJLoo said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I wouldn’t be shocked if we see a lot more Perez than Morse this season. Maybe the way Andres Torres unexpectedly pushed past guys like Rowand in 2010…

18. zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm

We were talking about the racial make-up of MLB….watching the D-Backs getting introduced on the baseline last night, it was an almost non-stop parade of whiteys, with just a few Latinos sprinkled in. That’s pretty sad. I know there are no easy solutions, but an effort needs to be made, more so than is being made. There are some African-American youth who could change their lives with baseball if given the opportunity.

• DJLoo said, on March 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Baseball lacks the violence, showboating, trash talking, tattoo showing and athleticism of basketball and football. Could that be the reason?

• zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I guess it turns into a chicken and egg debate, and there’s something to your point about baseball’s perceived lack of “coolness” with some of the youth, but I still agree more with what someone said yesterday about the really high cost of little league and travel squads. It’s one thing if black youth reject baseball, but when they’re not even getting the chance to make a choice, then that’s a sad thing.

• DJLoo said, on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 pm

You can still play in the street, the park, or the schoolyard for free..

• zumiee said, on March 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Without coaching and organized-game competition, no one can succeed at it. If someone hasn’t played a lot of organized ball before high school, they have very little or no chance of making their high school team.
        And, seriously, whoever played fast-pitch in pick-up games? :)

19. DJLoo said, on March 22, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The main thing baseball has going for it is that it’s the only pro game going on in the summer…

20. willedav said, on March 22, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Zum, the feeder programs in b-ball accommodate plenty of black kids, girls too–the AAU stuff, private schools, even the elite prep schools like Findlay of Nevada or Oak Hill Academy. These guys are high profile college recruits, but plenty of other less than high profile guys fill college rosters.
    Just not so for baseball, I don’t think. The traveling teams etc that lead up to college ball, and therefore college ball itself, aren’t full of black kids.

21. blade3colorado said, on March 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

It’s going to be cyclical, with baseball again gaining traction in the black community, especially when news filters down to parents and youth about head injuries as snarkk pointed out. Frankly, if I am a parent, my kid doesn’t play football. Ever. Basketball has always had cachet in the black community, i.e., you only need asphalt, a basket, and a basketball. Every community has that, including the Fruitvale Avenue/Oakland, Compton, Bronx, Harlem, and other poorer areas of the nation. However, there are so many good players – black, foreign, and white, that I would be steering my kid toward baseball. If the family has money – golf and tennis.

• Flavor said, on March 22, 2014 at 8:15 pm

How ’bout skiing? What’s it cost to ski, about $900 a day?
      Very interesting topic I might vibe on tomorrow.
      Blade, when are you coming home?

• blade3colorado said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

26th Flav

• blade3colorado said, on March 23, 2014 at 12:12 am

Sorry for the curt/short reply Flav . . . I was catching a bus back to Ho Chi Minh City. Yeah, skiing in the States (as Chuck and Dirt can attest to) costs a shit load of money. Just the upfront costs for proper clothes, boots, bindings, skis, poles, gloves, etc., can set you back a couple of grand easily. Before I married my ex – who was an amateur champion skier – I had no clue about skiing and swore I would never go again, after a nightmare 1st time experience when I was 24. First, I will preface this, by saying I was quite the druggie and alcoholic back then . . . I had a gram of cocaine in my blue jeans back pocket and I went skiing with Lon Simmons’ son in law at Heavenly Valley. I rented everything, except ski clothes . . . bad decision regarding the clothes. Fast forward a few hours later after falling every fucking 30-50 feet, I said never again and went back to one of the bars at Heavenly. Things were looking up when these two babes and I hooked up – we were chatting and having drinks. In short, a much better time than on the frickin’ bunny hill I had just left. However, my buddy shows up and he says, “Hey, let’s do one more run?” The two women are enthusiastic about this and I reluctantly agree. Fucker takes us up to the top of the highest mountain at Heavenly and goes down a black diamond rated hill. Ugh. It took me close to an hour to get down the hill and believe me, I was looking forward to the blow I had in my back pocket. OH OH . . . In the restroom, I open up the paper and the coke is mush. Man, was I pissed. When I met my future wife, it took her 2 years before I agreed to go skiing again. By the time of our divorce, I was beating her down the hill (albeit, not with the grace and elan she displayed, but I was a very, very good skier back in the day). :-)

Ski tickets in the Colorado resorts are approaching $100, albeit, you can get discounts for half that or a bit less at grocery stores and other places in Denver. I doubt they have skiing in Vietnam (but I don’t know for sure). However, the mountains in the north do get snow according to people I have spoken to here.

• paulinasia said, on March 23, 2014 at 8:04 am

Yeah, Steve, the mountains in Sapa in the far north will get snow, but a dusting or two a year won’t do it for skiing. Vietnam does not exactly have the infrastructure for snow-making…. The only VNmese I know who ever skiied is a former student who got her MBA in Switzerland….. :-)

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Blade–just seeing this–fantastic story. Wish we had been friends when we were BOTH younger. Woulda killed it.

22. chipower9 said, on March 22, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Just watched “Legends” (episode 22) a one hour walk down memory lane of the 2012 season. Dammit, you forget how many things the team persevered to win, such as the Melky fiasco. Awesome episode…check it out if you haven’t already.

23. Macdog said, on March 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Looks like the D-Backs will find themselves 2 games Down Under after tonight.

• stixwiz said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

Kjut.

24. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

Yeah, try skiing with a few kids. Tickets and rental stuff runs close to a grand for one day for the 5 of us. There are deals to be had, but we usually only went once a year, if at all. When I was a kid, it was cheap and fairly easy. $25.00 got you a bus ride, a ticket, equipment, and a lesson. Those ski clubs were cool. Stuff your jacket pockets full of food and off you go. We’d hit the Arden Fair mall after skiing to load up on junk food, and have a couple smokes. Just had to tell my mom to drop me off in the Safeway parking lot in Burlingame at 4:00 am. Ski swaps were all the rage back then, and used equipment was fairly reasonable. They still are now, but Christ, you pay retail for skis, boots, and bindings, and you’ve spent $2,800.00. Funny thing is, I bought skis 6 years ago, and before that, it was 30 years ago. Same with the boots. My old Langes lasted 34 years.

25. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2014 at 8:50 am

Right. Blade. Back then half the people out there skied in jeans. Man, when you got wet, it stayed with you all day. I had an old Army surplus jacket (R.E.D. in San Mateo) I’d ski in so that usually kept my ass dry. crazy days indeed.

• blade3colorado said, on March 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

Jeans work great . . . If you know how to ski. ;-)

Within 2 ski seasons, my ex-wife had me on black diamond runs and I rarely did a face plant skiing 20-30 runs during the day. We were crazy back then. Lots of energy. Today, I would be shocked to do 15 runs. Mostly due to fatigue, but also to beat traffic back home. If you don’t hit the parking lot at 2pm to beat the insane I70 traffic home to Denver, you’re stuck in traffic for up to 2-3 hours back home. This is the main reason, along with cost, that I don’t go anymore.

• stixwiz said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:29 am

If i wanted to go skiing it would be simply a matter of walking out the back door and strapping them on. That is one advantage of living here on the edge of the tundra. Disadvantages too. This morning at nine it was two below ~ here, not in Tupelo. Though i did see recently where a Mississippi town set an all-time low recently. Yesterday, so did Weaverville, Cali, wherever the eff that is ~ probably in the Sierras or somewhere near. Been one crazy winter.

• snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 11:49 am

Weaverville is about 35 miles W of Redding on hiway 299. County seat of Trinity County, an old mining town with great ambiance on the main street = 299. Has one of the few working lumbermills left in California…

26. James said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:14 am

Dodger starting pitchers 2 for 2. Just thought I’d do my part to keep doom and gloom alive!

27. willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:21 am

LA thumped AZ again, SPs dominating. Ryu (5 shut out innings on 2 hits) even got a hit and scored a run. Cahill didn’t have it, walking guys and hitting a couple including Puig with a sinker that did nothing. If Hanley hadn’t popped out on first pitch with bases loaded he wouldn’t have made it out of 4th inning.
    Smoltz pointed out something interesting tho—Gordon was leading off and had gotten an IF hit. With Uribe already at 3rd, Gordon takes off to steal 2nd on 1-0 pitch and had it easy but Puig swung and fouled it off. Smoltz comment was that as he gets older and smarter in that situation Puig lays off the pitch. Then he said he doubted LA would run the LU that way with Gordon (3 hits and an error) followed by Puig.
    Watching Scuts in 2 spot behind Pagan was really fun…who hits second in his absence?

• stixwiz said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:23 am

My candidate for #2 is the Juan and only Perez. Looks as if he is still growing (and fairly consistent) as a hitter, has an excellent turn of speed and happens to be a ++ defender in the O.F. Week or so ago i made the prediction that he would be essentially a regular by around the A.S. break. Perez appears to have that sparkplug quality about him which characterized Dan Gladden and somewhat differentially, Brett Butler. Don’t know whether he has developed hit and run skills, but with his will to succeed they can be learned.

28. willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:11 am

Stanford holding their own in first half with good D and rebounding patient O, tho it didn’t end well with couple bad decisions/turnovers and giving up an O board tip in and and 3 at buzzer. How lame that coaches have to answer ? from a sideline TV babe at end of half, esp one that ended with dramatic play that fired up crowd?

29. willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

Wouldn’t it be great if instead of answering one of these lame ass generic questions that are no more than an insult to their intelligence, a coach or player asked, “And where you staying babe?”

30. willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 11:40 am

WOW! Stanford held them off. KU almost playing a home game in nearby STL, Dawkins team with another surprise W.
    Next up is Dayton, and they run a motion O that is tough to defend/fun to watch. And props to any team takes out Cuse and Boeheim, plus Ohio St.

• Macdog said, on March 23, 2014 at 11:48 am

You can’t do much better than getting matched up against Bill Self and Kansas if you want to advance in the NCAA Tournament.

• willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Wasn’t Self at Illinois when AZ beat them for the title?
        I always liked Lute, had a couple of his videos and ran his drills for posts and shell drill defense. My buddies used to let me have it whenever he got run early and *embarrassed the Pac 10*.

• Macdog said, on March 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Not sure, I only remember AZ knocking off Kentucky in the final, I think Tubby Smith was coach after Pitino left for the Celtics.

31. Macdog said, on March 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

Giants place Abreu on release waivers. Per Baggs, that should clear the way for Adrianza to make the club, and probably Hicks as well with Scutaro likely starting on the DL.

32. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

From a Cal guy, congrats to Stanfoo on beating Kansas. JHawks did not have Embiid, which really hurt. And, I could be catty and say Kansas is another example of being overseeded on reputation compared to reality — they lost a lot of games, but had that high rpi number. Still, this is a perfect example of where less talent but more experience wins out against superior one and done type talent. I only heard it on radio, sounded like Stanfoo needs to practice some more on breaking a press. Dawkins sure punched his ticket for an extension. Go Pac12. It would be nice to have UCLA, AZ and the Tree in the sweet 16…

33. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 12:19 pm

No surprise here — Pablo wants a LT deal and lot of dough — more than Pence…

34. ewisco said, on March 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

apropos of nothing, check out the mudslide in Washington. I don’t think i’ve ever seen anything that big. And looking at the slope of the hill/mountain, i would never expect something like that to let go.

Congrats to snodfart. 0 for whatever beyond the arc and still pulls it off. Dayton is fun to watch. boy can they move the ball around.

35. zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Watching the Giants/White Sox game on the DVR, Harrelson was talking about outfielder assists and said something I didn’t know. I guess I should have known, but I didn’t. It’s not a big deal, but I didn’t know that on a play at the plate where the outfielder throws to a cut-off man, and the cut-off man guns the guy out at the plate, like in a 9-4-2, the rightfielder (9) gets an assist on that play, along with the cut-off guy. A lot of broadcasters talk about outfield assist numbers as an indication of an outfielder’s strength of arm, and that still holds true to an extent, but Harrelson’s point was that a high assist number for an outfielder is also a strong indicator of ACCURACY, in hitting the cut-off men accurately at a high rate.
    It was one of those moments where I go “duh, why didn’t I know that?” especially since I usually fill out a scorecard during the games I go to.

36. zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Harrelson and Stone interviewed the White Sox pitching coach, Don Cooper, during the game, and Cooper was very entertaining to a California dude like me. He had the kind of thick Jersey “youze guys” accent that makes Californians think of “Good Fellas” mobsters. I don’t think of guys like that being in baseball for some reason.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Wiki says Cooper was born in New York City. Close enough. Hey, I’m from the West Coast, I can’t tell the difference between a New York City or New Jersey accent. :)

37. zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Btw- pretty crappy thing the White Sox post-production crew did to fit the broadcast into MLB network’s “time constraints.” They edited out the Giants’ big inning where Posey had two hits. The pre-recorded game goes straight from being 1-1 to 7-1, Giants, without telling people how the Giants got the big lead.

38. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Wichita St. down the dumper by 2 to Kentuck and its one and done squad. Obviously the Shockers were overseeded at a #1 given their conference, but still, an experienced team and they had to be given a #1 for that streak. Kentuck was underseeded at a #8 given the NBA talent on board. Hats off to the Shockers — going 35-0 before you lose is great, whatever league you play in. I wish there was some way college ball could keep players a minimum of 2 years before going off to be drafted, as long as the players would get compensated and get insurance for injury in the case of NBA type talent…

39. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Latest update on Panda. He and the Gyros are only $50M+ and 2 years apart…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 23, 2014 at 4:34 pm

No way should they consider making him an offer before or during the season, unless it’s what they consider their lowest ultimate cost…He is likely to add another ten pounds before the ink even dries…Let him earn that money on the field and away from the buffet line…This is the best shape I have seen him as a Giants. I would hope he keeps it that way.

40. Flavor said, on March 23, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Funniest part of this year’s brackets– first time ever I’ve picked Cardinal to go out in first round

41. willedav said, on March 23, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Um, anyone listen to Giants game today with KC? I just saw the box and Lincecum got his ass lit again–11 hits and 7 earned, unable to finish the 5th. Yet again, one bad 5 run inning…kind of like his last ST outing.
    Giants hit a couple bombs and came back to win 13-9. Just a case of wind blowing out/bats ahead of the pitchers, or what?

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm

He said he had a mechanical flaw to fix and that he knew what it was. I’m not sweatin’ it till there’s a reason to sweat it

42. Flavor said, on March 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Soccer tourney all day. I’m fried. Had an east San Jose and a west San Jose team kick our ass so it doesn’t appear that one side of San Jose is MORE interested in pummeling a Palo Alto team. They laid waste in equally dominating fashion.
    Unimpressed with the parents, had to light a couple of them up for shit talking our kids from the side lines. They stood down, which was a good move on their part.
    Nice day for all day soccer though, perfect weather. Lol

43. salty said, on March 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Giants reported to have offered Pablo 3/40m. Leaves some room for neg.

• DJLoo said, on March 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

3/40m is not a serious offer. Obviously they want him super motivated and they’ll take their chances. If he has a big year, he’s long gone.

• blade3colorado said, on March 23, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I agree that 3/40 is a ridiculous offer (was this really the opening Giants offer????) and frankly, is insulting. That being said, if the Giants do make a “Pence” type offer, then I think that is totally fair and I wouldn’t budge on increasing that much more (as WilcoJoe wrote in his post above). If this team doesn’t do a “strong” 3rd place finish at least (not the pathetic 3rd place they backed into last season), I am all for blowing this team up and starting over, with only 2-4 untouchables, i.e., those players who have good to outstanding seasons (predicting Bum, Cain, Belt, Pence) . . . Anyone who doesn’t perform at least to their career norms, adios.

• snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Agreed. 3 years for $40M, if true, is either an insult, or a shot across the bow to “show us” you can keep your weight in check during the season. Maybe a portion of both. Obviously, Panda isn’t going to go for that kind of deal. If he keeps the weight reasonably in check and has a good season, he’s going to get offers from AL teams north of $100M, easily. And, maybe from that blue clad team in La La Land. Panda with all the Latino fan action down there would be a hit. Panda sporting an LA lid at 3rd base at ATT would be a PR disaster of epic proportions…

44. DJLoo said, on March 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Baseball’s opening day – wherever the fuck they played it (I swear I don’t know) is my nominee for the who gives a shit moment of the year. Almost no coverage or interest anywhere. What a joke.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Agreed…It might as well have been an exhibition game. The local daily didn’t even bother to show a box score, just listed the line score with the rest of the spring training games.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 23, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Now both team have to fly back to Arizona to continue playing games that don’t count…A joke indeed.

45. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Kontos and Runzler headin’ for Fresburg…

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Kontos is still in my doghouse for giving up that HR to Kershaw last season. :)

46. zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

So, an outfielder gets an assist, too, on hitting the cutoff man on successful plays at the plate. Parra led the NL last year with 15 outfielder assists. Willie Mays is 57th all-time in outfield assists.
    So….the statistic pretty much doesn’t mean much in the big picture. It meant more to me when I thought outfielders only got an assist by making the throw all the way for the put-out.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 9:50 pm

It obviously makes sense, though. In the infield, everyone that touches the ball on a put-out play gets an assist (not counting the last fielder’s put-out.) Pitchers get an assist if the ball hits them and goes to a fielder for the throw-out, of course.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:00 pm

On a related note- Shawn Green was in the longest rundown in MLB history, according to two sources on the internet. The rundown went 2-4-5-6-1-4-2-3, which looks like he got caught in a busted hit-and-run play. The ball was touched by 8 fielders, including the catcher twice, which seems pretty unique. But, you know, I was expecting the longest rundown to be…..longer. That rundown just doesn’t seem HISTORICALLY all that long. Maybe my internet search was wrong.

• zumiee said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Btw- I’ve only been to Dodger Stadium once; and they were playing the Cubs that day. And the give-away item was a poster of….Shawn Green! I didn’t keep mine. I asked a kid sitting behind me if he wanted another poster, and I gave him mine.
        Shawn Green just seemed to fade away at some point. One day he was just gone from MLB, without much notice.
        I think he hit 4 homeruns in a game, if I remember correctly.

• DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:34 am

I agree with you, Zumiee. I would think that in all of baseball history there were longer rundowns than that one. Maybe the one you found is just the record for the most different players involved (6)? I’ve seen more than one where an outfielder got involved.

47. snarkk said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I don’t care what Kruk says about Tim. His start today was concerning. Good until the 5th, then he craters, like many games the last two years. Somehow the wheels come off. I’m not at all thinking this starting staff is nails. Half a run better in ERA than last year may still be a bridge too far…

• blade3colorado said, on March 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Well, I am still hopeful Timmeh will turn it around. He has NEVER been good in Spring Training, so I wont put too much stock in this outing, but will when the games begin to count. As I alluded to above in my earlier post – this team made up of WS mainstays and KMart “blue light” specials will need to perform . . . Or, I am all for Sabes blowing up the team and starting from scratch. Don’t perform to at least your career average – “. . . yer outta here” as the saying goes. I could give a rat’s ass about marketing, loyalty, or any other type of saccharine sentiments. Don’t perform, then adios (and don’t let the door hit ya in the ass).

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers