B-Ad Said it Best

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 24, 2014

Driving home this evening, they coulda sworn they had it all worked out…

That’s what Dan Runzler, George Kontos and Heath Hembree were thinking to themselves the night before they got sent back down to Fresno.

Boch had those boys believing, beyond a shadow of a doubt….

Then they heard it on the street…..

Sometimes being a major league baseball player just cuts like a knife.

Maybe Runzler just needs to change his name to *Strikezler” or something like that?

It sounds like there are some “organizational reasons” that are keeping those three players off the roster to start the season. I like all three, I hope they get called up quickly.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:16 am

From what I read, Bochy wanted Petit and Huff as lon g guys to start the season. Both Petit and Huff are out of options and they figure they’d lose them if they exposed them to waivers. Those two guys are also considered our emergency starters and given what happened last year keeping them around for now isn’t a bad thing. I’m pretty sure Runzler, Kontos and Hembree will be back up this year, either for us or another organization.

2. WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:50 am

I would be shocked if Runzler isn’t traded before the start of the season…There are just too many teams out there that could use a hard throwing lefty…I still remember his lights out performance when he first got called up…A change of scenery could do him good.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:19 am

I wouldn’t trade the guy before a good look see at Affeldt in game situations. He was doing pretty well, then this last outing stunk it up. I’m tired of his groin injury excuse. That’s been fixed. So, no more excuses this year for throwing 59′ curve balls, then blaming Hector for not catching them…

3. willedav said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:21 am

I have a ? about how mgrs. use relievers in minor league ball, esp AAA:
    Do they have guys designated as closer/set up 7th and 8th inning guys like majors, or is it more fluid and mgrs. use whomever or rotate them in?
    So if the above 3 are sent down to Fresno, who does what?

Kontos I think last year was victim of the Matt Herges effect, only so many good innings in the arm before he gets lit up and implodes. Runzler would be behind Lopez and Affeldt anyway so unlikely to see much action unless one of them were hurt.
    Hembree, I don’t know–there’s been a buzz about this guy for about 3 years now. Is he ready to take Casilla or Romo’s spot in another year, or come back soon?

Over under on how long Vogs lasts? Just for SanDawg…hey looking forward to SD St and AZ. Thames is beast, hope he can keep it going. Dig the Cyclones too…they have had cool players in past, like Hornacek (doing great job in Phoenix), present coach Hoiberg, and couple ex-Dubs Jeff Grayer and the inimitable Big Vic.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:22 am

I’ll go with Voggy at a decision point by May 20. Either DL or cut or something. I just don’t think he’s got anything left, but they’re not going to quit on him too early with $5M guaranteed at stake. I still don’t understand that deal…

4. WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:31 am

Interesting article in today’s Houston Chronicle about teams locking up young players with very little major league service time…They used Evan Longoria as an example who signed a six year, $17.5mm contract six games into his major league career….They used the Rays and Cardinals as two teams who commonly utilize this practice….I guess the Bum contract is not as preposterous as I had thought.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:29 am

With the recent report on Sandoval and the Giants being $50M apart it got me thinking. Will the choice come down to Belt or Sandoval? What if they both have a good year? Then what? How much is in that Rainy Day Fund anyway? Somehow I don’t see Baer thinking of it as a Make It Rain Fund.

6. stixwiz said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:50 am

Critical start for Vogelsong today. This one will determine whether keeping both long relievers, Petit and Huff, will be set in concrete. Timmy’s shaky outing yesterday must also be taken into consideration. Some early season games may end in the “L” column because this arrangement pretty much precludes Law or Hembree as a fireman. Instead the guy who gets the call after a starter has a dire inning may well be toting a gas-can as he strides to the mound.

7. Chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:51 am

Went back and caught up on some of the posts from the last thread, and wanted to weigh-in on the contract (no pun intended) talks with Sandoval. I think the Giants were just feeling out the waters. And personally, I just cannot see signing Pablo for five years.

So, the Giants tossed out 3/40 (13.3/year).

Pablo’s agent wants “at least” Pence money at 5/90 (18/year).

I say split the difference. 4 @ 64 with a club option/buyout. Also load the contract with incentives (performance and weight).

The problem is that Pablo probably EASILY gets the 90/5 on the market. One of the teams you KNOW would be there are the Bumbinos. Uribe isn’t getting any younger, and I don’t think the Bums have any stud kids who play 3rd on the farm.

I think it was snarkk who mentioned the possibility of Pablo at 3rd (at AT&T) sporting the hated blue brim, and what a mess that would be. Just the marketing alone with the dumb-ass Panda hats (sorry if I offended any Flappers who rock the Panda lid) is unreal. Are the Giants ready to walk from all of that, and be faced with trying to fill the void of a power bat at 3rd?
    BTW – Pablo was 5th in the NL in OPS last year. He was 10th overall in MLB.

There are some cases, money-wise on 3rd basemen that says Pablo would be overpaid at 5/90.
    Regardless, the Giants may have to bite the bullet and go 5 years in the neighborhood of Pence money.

Where do you guys stand on this? Will the Giants have to pay Pablo Pence-type money? If you agree it will take 5 and that type of coin, would you, as GM pull the trigger on that deal?

• WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

Can you put a weight clause in his contract? If he indeed has a monster year, I would give him Pence or better type money, under the condition that he continues to stay in reasonably good shape…It’s not like their going to replace him with him someone better.

8. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:57 am

Dirt – re: Pablo or Belt. Belt is just coming into his abritration years. Pablo is a known power bat. Belt has shown glimmers of possibly being a power-hitting first baseman. If you have to go year to year with Belt, so be it, but the immediate issue has to be Pablo since he is slated to be a FA next year.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:58 am

I mean in the terms of long term extension.

• chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

If the Giants are not in a position to go long-term with both now, then I was saying Pablo has to be the priority, since he is bucking up against FA status. Try to land Belt on a MadBum type deal, or go year to year until Pablo’s status is sorted-out.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:43 am

I could see them trying to do that with Belt but I don’t think he’ll go for it and I wouldn’t blame him. Maybe they buy out his arb years and then turn to Sandoval with some sort of back loaded deal the really kicks in after Scutaro and Pagan’s deals are expiring. That is pretty soon so maybe they can make it work. I hope so. I like Sandoval. Besides, remember the suck hole that was 3b for so long? Definitely don’t want to revisit that.

9. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:09 am

Regarding the money for Pablo. Top 10 3rd basemen (based on OPS) and their contracts:

Cabrera – Tigers – 2 years remaining at 22/year
    Donaldson – As 492k
    Beltre – Rangers – 2 left with an option. 17 this year, 18 next year.
    Carpenter – Cards – 6/52 w/7th year option (18.5, 2 mil buyout)
    Longoria – Rays – 6/100 (remaining, 7.5 this year, then 11, 12, and 13 in subsequent years)
    Johnson – Braves – avoided arb at 4.75
    Zimmerman – Nats – 6/100 (14/year through 2018)
    Alvarez – Pit – 4.25
    Seager – Mariners – 500k, begins arb next year
    Pablo – ???

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:26 am

David Wright is making $20M/year for the Mets…

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Wright deserves every penny of that contract.

10. Irish Kevin said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

Ah the Pablo issue. really all you have to do is look around the league and the Giants farm players. There is NO ONE in the farm system that could do what Pablo is doing, so it makes it ease. The Giants Management have two choices,
    • Give Pablo what he is asking for or close to it.
    • Let him go and end up paying a FA the same money or more.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

The notion I hold on to for Timmy’s success in the real season goes like this: a pro turns the dials to the right when in a real game. Exhibit A: Kershaw sucked in spring training. His number in real life, in Opening Day starts, including the stupid start in Australia, are very, very good. So, performance when the games count is the only thing that matters. Focus on that, girls.

12. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

And if you let Pablo walk, I believe there is a DISTINCT possiblity he moves south and rocks the hated blue next year. Giants truly may be between a rock and a hard spot here. Go check out the possible 3rd base FAs in 2015…it ain’t pretty if you think you are going to fill the Pablo void via free agency…

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:33 am

phuck…I’d be sick to my stomach if he pulled a Wilson, a Johnny Damonesque, Ellsburyish, move like that. Puke.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm

HAHAHA. Good one Pawlie. Agree. Good riddance if he even has such nefarious thoughts as moving to Bumland.

13. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:21 am

I get it that Tim’s ST numbers have never been great. Regardless, I would be lying if I said there is no concern here. I am not sure that the SP is all that…I hope the boys prove me wrong. Not trying to be a downer here…just being a realist.

Vogey very well may be done. Tim is a crapshoot, really. He could have a huge bounce-back year, and I think there is a chance for that, but it is far from a lock. Hudson looked good in his last outing, but how will he perform over the long haul. Cain came on in the last half of last year, so you hope that continues. The only guy who truly looks “locked-and-loaded” is Madison.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

Agree. Of course, my worst doomer fear is that ST means nothing, even for Bumgarner. OK, Pawlie. Chin up. ST is the time for **hope**, remember?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

I don’t think Lincecum will have any type of huge bounce back either now or in the future. The best to hope for is stabilizing as a #4 or #5 pitcher.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:42 am

I’d take a solid #4 and run with it…

14. pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:31 am

I subscribe to Len Berman’s Top 5. He has a link today to the Dayton Daily News. Their hed read: “THE University of Dayton.” That’s a terrific hed, poking in the eye of THE Ohio State University. (No, I have not yet seen the footage of the Univ of Dayton president crowd surfing. I could see myself doing that. Um, is he employed this morning? My brother, a.k.a. Buzz Knight, is a Dayton alum. He cut his radio teeth at WVUD there.)

15. snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:35 am

IMO that Giants offer of 3 years for $40M to Pablo can be taken one of two ways: playing hardball negotiation, or a slap in the face for his past weight issues. Giants know there is no freekin way that Panda would sign for anything near that given the cash that is being thrown around these days, so there is some kind of weird dynamic going on here. Panda’s agent can certainly point to the 5/$60 for the Gamer and then 5/$90 for Pence, and say that at minimum, the floor must be in there between those two, and nearer Pence, given Panda’s Giants pedigree and the number of Panda hats in the stands. Panda’s in the catbird seat — as somebody said above, SF has nobody to play 3rd in the minors. Let Panda go, and he’ll get a mega deal with an AL team for north of $100M, or worst case, he’s got that mega deal playing 3rd at Chavez Ravine and taking LA by storm. Can you imagine a Panda go-ahead HR for LA in the top of the 8th at ATT, then in comes the Beard to set up and mow the Gyros down in the bottom of the 8th? That would be a horror show. I say pay him 5/$95, have a weight clause of some sort, and cross fingers…

• chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 11:36 am

I really would prefer to not go 5 with Pablo…but it looks like that is what it will take. I don’t think he would take a “let’s split the difference” four year deal. He is in the driver’s seat. The Giants need him more than he needs the Giants. I say offer him 5/90 and if you can add some weight clauses and incentives, so be it. Dirt’s mention of the “suck hole” that was 3rd for the Giants for SOOOO long…no way in hell I want to go there, again. And if Panda walks…that is exactly where the club will be.

16. salty said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

Funny how it’s “just ST” when they are getting rocked, but when they were throwing shutouts early on, they talked about really wanting to come out of ST primed and confident..blah blah blah…tc etc….

• James said, on March 24, 2014 at 11:43 am

I think it’s the lousy spring starts combined with some really poor regular season performances and the familiar-sounding rationalizations behind the skepticism.

17. WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:43 am

Fellow out of town Giants fans- Directv is now offering MLBtv.com for free if you purchase the extra innings package.

18. salty said, on March 24, 2014 at 10:47 am

Getting hairy when you look at Giants comittment next yr…approx $125m owed to 12 players.
    And they have something like 400 m guaranteed, 3rd highest in bb with Posey Cain and Pence locked up. It’s a good thing Bum signed that deal.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm

$400M sounds big, but is not that big of a deal, spread out over many years. Especially with an organization worth well N of $1 billion. This Giants franchise is rolling in dough. They can well afford to agree to a $100M deal with Panda over 5 or 6 years, it’s whether they want to risk the investment, not whether they can afford it. There’s no salary cap to worry about, and dead money pushing the cap. Giants won’t get near a luxury tax, but they don’t have to…

19. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

Well, payroll will have to go up…that or some of the pieces on the team today are gone. Add Pablo’s 16-18 mil to the equation, the fact that Romo is a FA next year, and even paying Belt year-to-year through arbitration…

20. SanDawg said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I’m in no hurry to throw a ton of money at Pablo. I’m not convinced that his weight is the silver bullet that determines whether or not he puts up MVP numbers and that him being in shape guarantees a great year. If he DOES pull a Joe Flacco and put together a monster year heading into free agency, then I’m fine with paying him top dollar at that point. I could even be ok with letting him walk.

@ WIllie–I’m very stoked about the Aztecs and I’m working on finding a way to get up to the Honda Center for the Az game. We have given them some good games in the past couple of years, maybe this time we can get over the hump. I’m with you on ISU as well. Love Hoiberg and his cast of characters—kind of reminds me of the coaches I loved in the past—Tark, Dale Brown, Lefty Driessel, Valvano.

• unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

The problem is the black hole (biiiiiig black hole) that would then exist when Pablo left. Who replaces him? Arias? Jorge Cantu?

As noted by everyone here, the cupboard is bare. And the cupbare is bored.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Fuck the money. Pay the guy. Panda has proven himself as a major leaguer. Belt on the other hand has a ways to go. If Panda says 5/$90, you can hem and haw, save face as you feel you must, but do it. This is much like Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers. The longer you wait, the higher the price tage goes. The longer you wait, the harder it gets to keep him

And that Panda/Dodger scenario WILL happen. Unless, he himself negates that. Probably ALL AL teams would bid for his services. And he’ll get what, $5/125 mill? 6/150 from Anaheim? Sure. Why not?

22. Alleykat said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

They will shave a huge chunk next year when Romo will leave. He’s a bargain at 2/9, next year if he is still decent.He will be asking for 10 mil per season the avg for a Closer,and the Giants will balk, and go the cheaper route with Hembree.

23. Alleykat said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

With Panda, yeah weight clause has to be included in a deal no doubt!!
    Prefer a 4/64 deal, but I’m sure he wants the 5, so 5/82 and let’s play ball!!

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I’m all for a weight clause in any potential contract for Sandoval, however, I think he would view it as insulting. On par with the $40M offer.

• Alleykat said, on March 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Well I’m sure Giants management along with a huge majority of fan base feel differently Dirt.
      Panda is like Brawler Tank Murdock in “Every Which Way But Loose” carrying his reputation around with his belly.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I agree that management and a large part of the fan base feels differently but Sandoval is the one putting his his name to paper. If he feels totally disrespected by such a clause it is unlikely that he signs.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:33 pm

He disrespected the team two years ago when he said flat out he’d get in shape when he was ready to get in shape — prepping for FAgency. And, that’s what he just did…

25. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I agree with Chuck’s 12:24. The Giants are in no position to play hard ball with Pablo, and no way in hell I want to look at ANY of the potential options if he walks. Giddy up and pay the man. Agree…the longer ya wait, the tougher to sign him.

26. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Kat – in reference to your 12:29 – they won’t save a ton if Romo leaves (he is only making 5.5 this year). And I am not convinced that Hembree is the intermediate or long-term answer. Romo closed out a WS. Hembree?

• Alleykat said, on March 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I’m only looking at next year Chi, when he would command 10 mil per season( typical for a closer) and the Giants will cut the fat there, going with Casilla (signed thru 2015) and Hembree to close and save a lot of cheddar.

27. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Closers are easier to find than (than, THAN! Not then, dammit! Sorry. Pet peeve of mine) 3rd basemen. If Romo is the sticking point to signing Pablo (which he ain’t) then find another closer. Shit, the closer-by-committee worked a couple years ago. Casilla should be up to the task if healthy.

28. chipower9 said, on March 24, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, the only way Romo is back is if it is for somewhere in the neighborhood of what he is making now. I agree Kat…no way in hell they bring him back at 10 per. And while I really don’t like a 5 year 90 mil deal for Pablo…I think the club MUST do this. The options (not having a power hitting 3rd sacker or a viable means to replace him) are not pretty.

29. Irish Kevin said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Unca is right, I think the AL will court Panda big time. Think DH.

30. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Who is B-Ad? I mean besides me?

hah!

31. Nipper said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Yeah since I don’t have to pay him, I agree with others who say pay him at any price fat and all. I mean…..he’s the PANDA ……and he’s ours every last pound! GO GIANTS!

32. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Vogey got roughed up a bit today. The Sabean/Bochean axis is very concerned, regardless of what they say.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:43 pm

He’s Zito at this point…toast. Petit had a nice outing against the A’s, if he can add another one before the spring ends, he would be my fifth.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:24 pm

That $5M guaranteed dough to Voggy is likely going to get in the way of some decisions in the early part of the year…

• Macdog said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

4 ER in 4 innings, for a spring ERA of 9.00. At least he’s been consistent.

33. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Timmy is a bit worrying too. Hitting and defense need to be on their toes. This is going to be another tortuous season, I’m afraid.

And, yes, James, the pitching needs to get a lot better as well . . . !

34. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Petit’s at least settling down. He’s going in the right direction. That being said, his game is the only ST i’ve watched. . . He’s light’s out in my eyes.

35. unca_chuck said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Cool stuff from Schulman:

In other news, a vote of players, coaches and trainers earned Mark Minicozzi the 2014 Harry S. Jordan Award, given annually to the best or most inspirational player in his first big-league camp.

Minicozzi might be the oldest Harry S. Jordan recipient. At 31, he is living the dream after nine years riding buses in the minors and playing independent ball. In 2012 he got a tryout to return to the Giants’ minor-league system, which he had left after 2007, and got a job. Last year, the first baseman was an Eastern League All-Star at the Double-A level.

He already has been optioned to Triple-A Fresno, and might be the happiest person ever sent to that team.

“Two years ago at this time I was sitting on my couch hoping to have a uniform,” Minicozzi said. “I know a lot of guys are disappointed going to Triple-A, but it’s amazing to me. It’s the first time I’ve been there. I’m excited. It’s an honor to put on a jersey. I’m excited to be a Giant.”

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

He’ll be excited to be in Fresno. Until that first 105 degree day…

36. snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:06 pm

As many here and many on radio today have said, the Giants find themselves in this predicament with Panda because they’ve got nada in the minors to pressure him to sign for less. The bare cupboard minors exacts a cost when you’ve got FA big leaguers — especially one with a weight problem in his history. Cardinals said adios to Pujols and his high $ demands and injury risk, yet didn’t skip a beat competitively since they’ve got solid minor league position players all over the place — Allen Craig (Cal baseball alum) was/is more than serviceable at 1b , plus they have a guy Matt Adams at 25 years old that looks like a very good hitter that may take over this year at 1B. Now they look like geniuses as the Angels gag over Pujols’ nutty deal…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Exactly, I hope this lights a fire under who ever is responsible for developing players as well as the one doing the drafting. No 2nd baseman and no third baseman in the near future. From reading about the catcher in the farm system, they have an abundant supply of those. WTF??? Now I know nothing about a farm system. So someone need to educate me. If they have an a bunch of catchers in the farm system can’t they trade for other minor league player? They have to be able to do something

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Well, they did use Tommy Joseph as trade bait to get Pence, and that worked out. I think they’re going to hold onto Susac, he looks like a potential MLB starter at C. If Panda flies the Panda Pen, Posey to third in 2015 with Hector and Susac battling for the starting C position?…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm

One of those baseball magazines that Zumiee collects (I do too) had a scout saying he couldn’t believe that the Giants haven’t moved Posey to another position yet.

37. snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Yet another reason I pay almost no attention to the NBA. This dude has made $18+ million in the NBA over several seasons, plays for the Lakers, and I never heard of him. Somebody that has a pair of $6K sneakers, I’m not broken up that he got them burgled after stupidly telling everyone that he had them…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 24, 2014 at 4:57 pm

LMAO

38. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:16 pm

For what it’s worth- a recording of today’s Giants game is on the MLB network right now. The TV listing says it’s supposed to be a Braves game, but it ain’t.

39. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:19 pm

“He’ll be excited to be in Fresno. Until that first 105 degree day…”

And some years, it even approaches 115 a few times. Yikes. :)

40. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I talked a bit about outfield assists yesterday, and how they don’t necessarily say much, or maybe they do, I still haven’t decided; today I’m thinking about the “hold.” Kind of a worthless stat. Any middle reliever that doesn’t give up the lead gets a “hold,” and it’s noted in the boxscore, but does anyone care about that “stat”? I never see a TV broadcast list the number of holds a pitcher has. Do pitchers bring their “hold” stats into the bargaining room with the team execs? If they do, do the execs just laugh? Does the SABR-world care about “holds”? I doubt it.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm

The Saber world does not care one whit about holds. If it’s a category in your lg, you’re in a bush lg.
      holds are a category created by agents. That’s it.

41. Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Chuck– B-Ad is Bryan Adams. It was a lame riff I did this am when I was half asleep and thought we needed a new thread.
    Pablo shouldn’t feel like 3yrs 40 mil is disrespectful. It’s extremely generous for a guy who has never played an entire season healthy and in good shape.
    Stay in shape for the season, then you get your 90 mil.
    I thought 3/40 was too aggressive on the Giants part

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:58 pm

The Dodgers are giving 3/40 to their top peanut vendor these days…

42. blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I’m glad some of you guys aren’t running my business, Blade Inc., because I would be in the poor house within a 2-3 years, 5 max. :-) *

* Blade Inc. sells non-existent widgets that can be used for whatever your mind dreams up.

Seriously, I am not in the “camp” that says back up the Brinks truck to Pablo’s South American abode. Insofar as the Dodgers potentially signing him and the marketing disaster that would ensue? Meh, I actually think it would wake up the “wine toting, smart phone zombies” that attend Giants games. Just think of the potential here . . . We need a Tommy Lasorda like replacement and the Panda hats, Sandoval weight problems, etc., will provide years of derision. By the by, a show of hands on how many Flappers “rock the Panda lid” as Chi so eloquently put it? God forbid any card carrying Flapper has one in his wardrobe (Sombreros are still cool though). However, I digress . . . There has to be a limit on how much he gets. I said previously, that Pence money is cool. However, anything beyond that is ludicrous in my mind.

Besides, Panda isn’t the only potential problem on the horizon. Timmy, Voggy, Romo, Scutaro and Pagan worry me more and frankly, if they don’t perform this season, I say blow up the team and start over (I said this in the middle of the night yesterday, when everyone was asleep). OK, I’ll shut up now . . . :-)

• ewisco said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I see we’re on the same page here, though you have nicer smiley faces.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:01 pm

What is worse — rockin’ a Panda hat or a Baby Giraffe lid?…

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Can I pick “C” for both?

43. ewisco said, on March 24, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I have trouble getting worked up about pandas contract. i would take a wait and see approach to this year. you could always move posey and bring up one of the catchers if you had to. i just don’t trust the panda. i’m from missouri on this. and there’s no saying that he’s going to do anything but get worse as he gets older. so all the hand wringing about him showing up in the hated blue leaves me cold. so what. maybe he’ll suck. uribe hasn’t been a prize and wilson is one pitch from being done. so one word: missouri.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I go by the same “show me” credo Eric . . . I don’t trust the guy.

44. snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:06 pm

There’s something to be said for Panda’s fat history and injuries pushing down the contract numbers, and Pence being always in shape and playng every day. But, counter to that, when he’s on, compared to Pence, Pablo is a far more dangerous and productive hitter. When he’s on, and that’s the root of the issue. He was “on” in 2009 and 2011 with OPS well over .900 …

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I agree snarkk. However, two points – The message being sent by the Giants (should they sign him for Pence money or worse, greater than Pence money) is very bad, i.e., “It’s ok to lie to us about losing weight, pigging out at Wendy’s and every other fast food joint in town, after carousing around town at 2am.” Second, Pence was just as dangerous during the last month of the season last year. In fact, I can’t recall a better month by a Giant not named Barry in many, many years.

45. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:10 pm

On one of the MLB network shows, they mentioned the Yankees as a potential suitor for the Panda. The Yankees are ready to make a serious turn-of-the-page regarding A-Rod. But, how would that work? They still have to PAY A-Rod next season. There’s always the DH spot, of course.
    I hope the Giants get Panda signed, but as many of you mentioned, he has the leverage in this negotiation. He’s in trim shape, and by all looks is ready to rock a great season, barring injury.

• ewisco said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm

but if he gets that injury, all bets are going to be off. that’s what it’s going to come down to and that’s why i say wait and let it play out.

46. Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm

For me, it comes down to this: I don’t trust that he’s going to keep the weight off. And as he gets older, that will become most critical. He’s barely gotten by as a young fatso, I don’t want the aging fatso on my team with years to go on his deal. No one should want that.

47. DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:00 pm

There may be something to be said for that Posey to 3rd scenario. Worked for Joe Torre.
    I’m much more worried about the starting staff AKA “Welfare Boy & The Question Marks”

48. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

The Giants Comcast network is showing some “Giants porn” this week, for lack of a better phrase. Sanchez’s no-hitter tonight, Cain’s perfecto tomorrow night, and then Timmy’s no-hitter the following night.
    Kruk and Kuip wearing no rings tonight; little did they know what the future held!

49. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Jeebus! What a Giants lineup. Bowker, Rowand, and Winn in the outfield. Whiteside at catcher that night. How did we NOT win the division that year, I tell ya!

50. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:12 pm

The bummer about Scutaro this season is that, even if he makes it into the lineup, in any given series his back could flare up, and he would have to sit out that game, leaving the Giants short a player for that game, and the following few games. That could happen quite a bit.

• zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Schulman’s reporting that the Giants are now admitting that Scutaro will probably start the season on the DL.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Bingo, zum. That goes back to my point made many times where the Giants have refused to DL a guy, but rest him with an injury for 10 days or something while he’s still on the live 25. The result is the team is playing with 24 vs. the opposition with full complement of 25. I think a few times they’ve done this with two guys, so it’s been 23 vs. 25. You’re right, Scuts is a perfect candidate for this situation again. It has never made sense to me…

51. DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:13 pm

One of the best nicknames ever from the Splash Days:
    “The Bowker Gang”

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:16 pm

your welcome.
      And the best part about that nickname is that it will always live on. There will always be a Bowker Gang, whether it was the original cast or the new guys. I might try to recall the entire gang later tonight and turn it into a thread…..

52. Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Nicole Vogelsong is tweeting out some weird shit right now about darkness not being able to drive out darkness and that only light can do that. It’s an MLK quote. Sounds like things aren’t all honky dorey at Casa de Voggy. Either her blow jobs are starting to wane in their effectiveness or he can’t pitch anymore…..

• DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I could jerk off just looking at her name.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:42 pm

she does have a pretty name. But for me, and with all the internet has to offer (for free), I’m ripping one to something better than a name!

• Bozo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I think the problems with Nicole started when the Vogelmeister said ” I really can’t stand it . . . please . . . give it to me . . . give it to me right here in the trunk of your Gremlin . . . give me . . . GIVE ME THE ENCHILADA WITH THE PICKLE SAUCE SHOVED UP AND DOWN THE DONKEY’S ASS UNTIL HE CAN’T COME ANYMORE!”.
      I’m not sure why she thought that was a strange request.

53. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Batting clean-up for your 2009 Giants tonight. I kid you not: Ishikawa!

54. Bozo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

What a great quote from Bochy about Vogs and I guess the Starters in general. “We’re not going to talk about what we do until we do talk about it – if we even do.” That has to be the best line of bullshit regarding sports that I’ve read in 2014.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I think I get that. But, let me hit two fingers of Makers, then it will surely make more sense. I think it explains how Franchez had his shoulder operated on and nobody knew about it for about 6 weeks. And how Bochy said at the beginning of ST that Scutaro would start opening day — but, now it’s about 50-50 (which apparently must mean about 0% chance)…

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Bochy and Giants management can obfuscate better than Bush’s White House staff.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

haha, that is awesome. POTD, w/o question.

55. Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Loo–you might enjoy this. In my preliminary research for original Bowker Gang members I came across this post from 2012:

56. Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Finding founding members of The Bowker Gang on the internet is harder than finding a piece of #370 in the Indian Ocean. Too soon?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Seen the pic of the midget from Fantasy Island and how he could find the plane? I’d post it here if I could figure that out.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 7:59 pm

post the link and we can click on that

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Point being that it’s never too soon. Well, okay maybe wait 24 hours. For some reason tinyurl redirects but its safe.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Dirt, have you seen the photo of the Gilligan island crew working on the radio, with the background showing the Malaysia airline plane half submerged in the water? I always feel guilty about laughing at these black humor type jokes. I should ask Pawlie about this . . . He knows all about angst and guilt. :-)

• DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I remember as a little boy in December of 1963 the following “joke” was making the rounds:

What did Caroline Kennedy get for Christmas?
        A Jack in The Box.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Ha, that’s rad

• willedav said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Who else was there beside Nate and Eugenio?
      What more do you need?
      Hard to believe Amaro gave Giants Pence for Nate and (I think Joseph) when he already had a C, and then cut Nate loose altogether.
      Poor Velez not only couldn’t hit he couldn’t field either, or run bases. What’s opposite of 5 tools?
      Plus didn’t he almost get killed by a line drive foul into the dugout?

• DJLoo said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Yes. I most remember it because I thought it would put an end to K & K using their tired, stupid-ass, unfunny “ugly-finder” reference. It didn’t…

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Opposite of “5 tools” equals he WAS the tool.

57. pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm

There is some funny shit here. And I can’t say exactly what it is. After all, I was a Vestryman. Twice. [cue gales of laughter or emoticon connoting hypocrite]

58. pawliekokonuts said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Bochy’s comment, celebrated by Bozo in the POTD, is positively Rumsfeldian, like his “known unknowns” shit — memorialized in a book by my friend Hart Seely: http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Intelligence-Existential-Poetry-Rumsfeld/dp/0743255976

Hart and I sat side by side trying to sell books two years ago. He has a meant to be satirical, real framed letter and check Rumsfeld sent him. Right. Rumsfeld had to be right and proper and correct in reimbursing Hart for the book sent to him. Donald sure had his moral priorities straight.

59. ewisco said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm

so we’re really gettin gdown to the basics: play ball.

60. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 24, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Who else is watching the Sanchez no hitter? I kinda miss that guy and Ishikawa and Schierholtz. El Presidente? Not so much. Another great nickname though.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I’m watching cricket Dirt.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Of course, in this part of the world, Cricket, Rugby, Soccer, Table Tennis and Badminton are the BIG FIVE.

61. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Dirt, I watched the game tonight. I’d forgotten a lot about it. I forgot about Rowand’s great catch in centerfield. And the catch happened so late in the game: the second out in the ninth inning. I did remember that the ump had a big strikezone on the last batter, as it should be. Kind of an “ump’s unwritten rule.”

62. zumiee said, on March 24, 2014 at 11:13 pm

One of the things noticeable in the crowd was that the store-bought panda stuff hadn’t happened yet, so the only panda stuff was homemade by the fans. And the homemade stuff looked kind of creepy. They were scary pandas.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers