Time For a Zito-vention…….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 25, 2014

What if the Giants ‘zitoed Voggy? Remember that slick move? You suck so badly in spring training that you have to stay behind while all your teammates break camp and head for SF. It worked in 2012. Remember when Zit’s came into camp crouching his way through his starts? That lasted about 2 weeks. They kept him in Arizona to continue to work on mechanical flaws. I was certain he was done.

And then he showed up in Colorado for his first start of the year and, naturally, through a complete game shut out.

The Giants could do the same thing with the underperforming Vogelsong. I don’t think it would help him the same way Zito benefited, but I’d rather see a guy like Petit go out there and take his lumps against the Dodgers than Voggy. If Vogelsong goes out there and gets lit up again, that could be the final straw. No more blow jobs from Nicole. Gnashed teeth scattered randomly around the mound. It could literally be the end of him.

__________________

Scott Baker just got released by the Mariners. He didn’t have a great spring but it was better than Voggy’s. And he’s got the built in excuse of shaking off some rust having not pitched for a year. He could be a nice stop gap while we figure out what to do with our Numero Cinco.

About these ads

1. Alleykat said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:05 am

Just as soon put Vogs in quicksand right now,and watch him “Cinco”

2. willedav said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:17 am

I’m thinking gratuitous phantom injury lands him on the DL…ingrown toenail on the plant foot, which Kruk will confirm ruins the arm slot, etc.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:42 am

I like it!

3. willedav said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:19 am

*Zitoed*, btw, ranks right up there with Flav’s puro gold from days gone by, *Garkoed*.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:37 am

Hey thanks Willy. I don’t think it takes a lot of talent but I seem to be pretty good at turning proper nouns and verbs

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:39 am

Into not “and”. Sorry, phoned that last one in

4. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:45 am

Well, I am with you guys re: Vogey, but am not holding my breath. He has one more tune-up against the A’s in Oakland, and then is slated to start that series against the Bumbinos. And from this article, I don’t see him getting Zito’d, or beginning the season on the DL. Things could change with that last tune-up, but I don’t think it will. It sounds like Voges will get that tune-up and the start against the Bums, and if the wheels come off…you’ll see Petit or Huff, early.

5. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:54 am

If you reference an article…it helps if you include the damned link!

6. Bozo said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:57 am

If Ryan doesn’t get cut, and I don’t think he will (at least not at the start of the year), my guess is he will began the season as a starter, if he blows up they might have him miss a start before moving him to the pen. If that doesn’t work, they could ask him to fake a back injury or something, but would he agree? My take on Zito is he did whatever he was asked to do while keeping his yap closed. I’m just not sure Mr Vogelsong would go along with that. Hey, maybe the Giants are just waiting to hear “All aboard” as the D-Train starts rolling again.

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:13 am

John – I have heard nothing on him (Dontrell) since the initial news that he was signing a minor league deal with the G-men. That was in early January. I did not see him while we were in Scottsdale, and I don’t recall him making any appearances. Must be that new “stealth train” technology…

7. WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:03 am

As long as the first four pitch to their potential, I could care less about the five….If Cain bounces back and I think we all expect him to, Bum continues his spring dominance, Hudson stays healthy, then all the pressure is and should be on Timmy.

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:15 am

Great perspective, Joe…and I agree whole-heartedly…

If Vogey crashes and burns after having been given a long rope, then I see Petit (or possibly Escobar) taking that spot…

8. WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:25 am

For Zumiee, or anyone else that cares, today’s Giants game is the first (I think) of the season to be aired live on the MLB network.

• zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:14 am

Cool!
      I wonder who the starting pitcher is. Cain, maybe? That would be a nice coincidence, with Comcast replaying his perfect game tonight.
      A celebration of Cain, but also a celebration of the greatest prediction in the history of the Flap, when BF predicted Cain would throw a no-hitter that night.

9. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:25 am

One of these days, I’d like to compare World Series champions’ opening day lineups of the season to their lineups in the first game of the World Series, just to marvel at how much even World Series champions’ lineups change over the course of a season. In retrospect, it’s easy to think of champions having a kind of destiny to them, but the reality is that every championship team has a certain amount of adversity to overcome during the long season. And it has a way of putting a focus on the job of GM.
    The Giants opening day lineup in 2012 was:
    Pagan, cf
    Cabrera, rf
    Sandoval, 3b
    Posey, c
    Huff, lf
    Belt, 1b
    Theriot, 2b
    Crawford, ss
    Lincecum, P

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

I agree Zume…think it would be a cool comparison. I posted a few days back that I had just finished watching one of the “Legends” shows that I had DVR’d. It covered the entire 2012 season in a one hour long program. It was cool in that it had to be from the 80,000 foot view (capturing the entire season in an hour), but it also hit on the major points of adversity that the club faced. Melky, being down 0-2 to the Reds and then down to the Cards. It really illustrated the point you are making in showing the hills the team had to climb to become World Series Champions for the 2nd time in three years (damn…I love the way that sounds…time to make it “World Series Champions for the 3rd time in five years.

10. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:21 am

Any of you Flappin’ MoFos going to Opening Day? If you are, give me a shout and let’s knock back a cold one before the game. My daughter and I will be in lower box, Section 129, about 20 rows back.

Six days until the opener, and TWO WEEKS until the home opener. I am hoping the rotation stays set as it has been, and Hudson gets the nod for the home opener.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:45 am

nice!
      No, I’m watching that one on tv. Haven’t been to an opening day in probably 6 or 7 years. I went to the last OD at Candlestick, I remember that one vividly. Might see if I can scrounge up the pics from that and share them here.

11. stixwiz said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:25 am

Could come down close to your scenario, Flav. Bochy has been mumbling lately about the issue with numer Funf. A role switch between Vogie and Petit could happen by the beginning of May. Looks like Huff, David, that is, sticks around at least till the cinqe matter gets resolved. Roger, Wilco, and out on the pressure increasing on #55 to get his act in order soonest if Vogelsong dissolves.

12. unca_chuck said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:58 am

How to endear oneself to your teammates:

The Puiggy who cried wolf, indeed. Too funny. Is that Uribe in the front seat with him?

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:06 am

Uribe being his chaperone at LA Clubs — that’s amusing. Puig better get his baseball act together, ‘cuz this shit will get old fast with teammates if you don’t produce. Donny 2X already is perturbed…

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:21 am

What a fucking doofus. Puig needs to get his shit together. Maybe it’s wrong to wish failure on someone, but I could give a flying fuck…I hope that POS crashes and burns miserably. And yes…looks like Uribe riding shotgun with him. Fuck LA.

13. snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:03 am

Voggy’s story is a great story, but it’s only great until it’s not. The media likes to hype his game day face and all that routine blather; but given the results over the last season+, maybe he should lighten up on the game day grimace, stop grinding, and start pitching. Petit better get tuned up and ready. Paraphrasing what Steed used to say to Mrs. Peel at the start of each show: “Mr. Petit — we’re needed”…

14. snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:20 am

Bob Nightengale of USA Today said on radio that if Panda has a really good season and keeps in shape, he’ll have FA offers for long term deals well north of $100M….

15. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:23 am

I have no doubt, snarkk. That is why I was saying yesterday that as much as it pains me to think about a five year deal, I really think the Giants are in a nasty spot when it comes to negotiating this. I say get it done sooner rather than later, so there is not that distraction. Pay the man 90 at five years and let’s get on with the season (it is SO easy spending Charles Johnson’s money…).

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

Yep, there are no obvious alternatives to Panda at 3rd, Chi. Nightengale thought that the Giants offer was low as a warning shot to Panda that he needs to prove himself if he wants the big dough. Ok, but that works both ways. If he proves himself, why should he agree to a hometown girl next door contract, when a bunch of Miss Universe candidates waiving cash start chatting him up on Nov 5? No guarantees, obviously Panda could get injured during the season, and his stock sinks. Suffice to say he has big incentive to play well and keep the salad bowl within reach this season…

16. pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I like the coinage. Zito-vention.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:10 pm

The bad news is that Kevin Frandsen is available.

• unca_chuck said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Flying Squirrell part deux. Yeah, the alt to Pablo is nothing.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Watching the Sanchez no-no last night, Frandsen made his way into that game displacing Uribe to 3b and Sandoval to the bench. Uribe ultimately booted an opportunity at 3b losing the perfecto.

Zum mentioned it at the end of last thread but watching that game again was interesting. All the things you forget. Bowker, Ishikawa, Frandsen…sweet jebus.

18. Irish Kevin said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:27 pm

The Panda, yep if he stays on the Salad wagon and has the monster year that every pundit says he is capable of having, how much will the Giants have to pay him to stay. I still think if he does have a great year he goes to an AL team. That way if he falls off the wagon the AL team can just say F it. He is our DH.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I suppose one approach the Giants could take is give Sandoval the Pence deal and move him in 2 years when they’re ready to move Posey to 3b (which I am not really sold on).

20. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

If the Giants do indeed decide to take the wait and see approach on Pablo, and he has a good year, AND keeps in shape, the Giants will do everything in their power to keep him. To let him walk and potentially become a hated Dodger would be a San Francisco nightmare.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Chi, picture me leaning on the Scoots shovel, will the Giants DL him before OD or let him play? Ha ha

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Kevin – it’s a looong season. Don’t get too overzealous with your shovel. I agree…Scoots will start the season on the DL, but I still question whether or not he is “done.”

• Irish Kevin said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Ha ha I just messing with you Chi. see you Opening day!!! I am buying

21. SanDawg said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I’m not gonna hit the panic button on Vogy unless he consistently gets his ass kicked in real games. He’s the 5th starter on a starting staff riddled with question marks. Hell, most of the staff got its ass kicked consistently last year. I still think he is going to be a decent #5. He’s doesn’t need to be Tom Freaking Seaver to keep his spot in the rotation.
    He’s got some major suckage to do in my book before I start making ZIto comparisons.

• zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm

It’s kind of mindblowing to think that the ’09 Giants actually won more games than the ’13 Giants. The pitching’s got to step up this season. We may not get the dominant pitching of ’09-’12, but an improvement is essential.

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:18 pm

LMAO…that’s money San Diggity…

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Don’t worry, Dawg. At only $5M, Voggy can’t come close to Zito zuckage. I just hope he doesn’t approach Wellemayer woes…

22. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Chi, I envy you big-time. Have a great time on opening day!
    I’ve only been to one Giants home-opener. It was in the early or mid-1980s, when the ‘Stick would have 60,000 people for the home-opener, and then the next day have about 12,000. The drop in number was so huge it could cause vertigo. And speaking of vertigo, our seats for that home-opener were in the centerfield upperdeck. The field seemed like it was miles away.

• Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Thanks, Zume. Anytime I get to take in a ball game with my daughter, it’s a wonderful thing.

23. unca_chuck said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Yeah, I sat up there for the last baseball game at the Stick. Section 59 last row. It was like watching the game from the B of A building.

RIght, ‘Dawg. At this point, the team is loaded with questions. From Scutaro’s health to Timmy’s effectiveness to Panda’s eating habits to Morse’s health to Cainer’s effectiveness to the pen’s comnsistency to Romo in particular.

Plenty of uncertainty to go around to focus on one of them!

You coming up on April 25th?

24. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:07 pm

One of the humorous things about the Puig/Uribe nightclub thing is how the Dodger broadcasters like to make a big deal about how Uribe is such an older-brother figure and role model for Puig.
    Whatever. We hope Puig parties all he wants to. Mattingly is going to need a mouthguard so he doesn’t grind his own teeth down all season enduring the Puig show.

25. snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:25 pm

When Doghairs and Puig roll into town, Giants visiting clubhouse manager at ATT should leave in Puig’s locker a map and iPhone with GPS directions to all the “clubs” in SF. Puig looks like he has the makings of a Cuban Mickey Mantle, at least as far as enjoying the nightlife is concerned. This kid has potential disaster written all over him…

26. WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Bum looked great in that first frame…Am I the only one that kinda hopes he gives up a run or two?

27. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Buster with another hit. Hitting .425. I think Buster Ballgame is going to have a big year.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I like that: Buster Ballgame. Wheaties Boy. The New Kid.

28. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Well, Madison now has an ERA this spring. First ER…ERA is now 0.41. Fuck…may be time to move him down in the rotation. NOT.

29. Chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 2:45 pm

WTF – Bum gives up back-to-back jacks. Oh yeah…it’s ST. No sweat, right…

30. pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 2:45 pm

ESPN’s MLB home page has a countdown clock for Opening Day. Freudian slip, you douches!? Fine with me that those Aussie GAMES DON’T COUNT. They also had a hed about Liriano testing his groin. I’ve been doing that for 50 years!

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 25, 2014 at 2:53 pm

There’s way to much dodger talk around here.

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Get used to it. They’re now officially the #1 spending club in MLB, and have the cable TV dough to keep doing that into the foreseeable future. No more Doghair mismanagement by the Keystone Kop McCourts. So, the Gyros better lock and load for the long haul, and get their minor league system and international talent network up to snuff…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I’m just surprised to see all the handwringing over puig and whatnot. I don’t give that club a second thought.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I haven’t wrung even half a hand about Puig. The scouting report to beat him is clear: Don’t ever throw him a first pitch fast ball, then bust him inside, then throw him sliders.
        Shit, if I could throw those pitches at a major league caliber level, he’d never touch me. :)

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

is wringing half a hand like the sound of one hand clapping?

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Any Giant pitcher that throws Puig a first pitch that is within an area code of being a strike should be covered with honey and set upon a colony of fire ants. Then he should be disciplined…

32. WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Gary Brown with a nice game tying PH double in the ninth…Drove the ball the other way (triple alley if you will). Looked like a smaller Buster Posey…I think that is the first time I have ever seen him hit.

33. paulinasia said, on March 25, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Bozo, I like your post of the day about the Bochy quote. He’s great at these, almost Yogi-like. I remember another one a couple of years ago when he was asked about some starting position players who were under-performing and how long would he keep sending him out there; he said something like “The guys who will be playing are the guys we’ll be sending out there”… Someone should compile these Bochy-isms, he’s a master at it. I think he says these things very purposefully because the reporters really can’t even do a follow-up to an answer like that… :-)

• Bozo said, on March 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm

paul, I read it once, shook my head, read it again and just cracked up. The Book of Bochy, I love it.

34. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Scutaro had a “diagnostic nerve block” done today. At some point, it’s not even about baseball for him. It’s about being able to live the rest of his life without lots of back pain. He’s only 38 or whatever, which is young in the “real world.” But there’s that $12 million…..

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Is this anything like what Steve Nash is dealing with? I haven’t heard those 2 names connected but it sounds like the same thing.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I wonder what a “diagnostic cock block” is. (I was shocked to learn of the phrase “cock block” by none other than my daughters a year or two ago. We are a very linguistically open family.)

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Diagnostic nerve block = starts the season on the DL. What a surprise. All the offseason and just NOW they are doing this?…

35. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hey Flappers! In Hong Kong and there are no starting pitchers to sign here (just like there weren’t in Vietnam). Off to San Francisco in a couple of hours, then the last leg to Denver.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:42 pm

here’s an early welcome home for you, dude. Lookin’ forward to seeing you next time you’re here for more than a sec.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Flavor . . . Count on it in May. I think I am in town for at least 2 (possibly 3) weeks.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

how many wives are you bringing back?

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don’t know.

So, maybe 1 wife, maybe 2, maybe more, and maybe none.

36. SanDawg said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Chuck-yes, planning on coming up for the 25th, but was bummed to see I couldn’t get more than 2 together in my favorite upper infield reserved spot for the game. Reassessing ticket purchase now and kind of sidetracked by Aztec basketball. If those damn Kuip bobbleheads are the reason tickets are so scarce I’m gonna be pissed!

• WilcoJoe said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Lqtm

37. pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Safe travels, Blade.

Say, have you folks looked at the schedule? If you ask me, we may get a pretty good read on our team by the end of April. Tough schedule. We play the Dodgers, like, 43 times. And the D-backs another 23, it seems. Anyway, we will see soon enough if we are men or mice. (As Groucho Marx said, put a piece of cheese on the floor and find out.)

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Who’s coming to Citifield this year?

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I may go. Finnerty’s is doing a bus thing. If you go, bring along Buzzsaw. Then again, last time I was there Aubrey Huff played second base and followed that with a panic attack, so maybe no.

• Macdog said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I should be able to make it, probably the Monday afternoon game.

• James said, on March 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I am attending my first gay wedding that weekend . . . . otherwise me and Mrs. James would have been there!

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Thank you!

38. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Cain’s perfecto on Comcast tonight. Melky sporting a .371 batting average at the time.
    Hilarious stat of last season: Melky’s post-‘roid season for Toronto. Man, what was Toronto thinking signing that guy for a ton of dough? Melky’s stats last season: 88 games played, .279, 2 Hrs, 30 RBIs.

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I wonder whatever became of the “Melkmaids” and those 4 homos that hung out in the stands…

• snarkk said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Back home to New York?…

39. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:43 pm

There was a blimp at Cain’s perfect game. Beautiful camera shots of the ballpark and surrounding scenery has me PUMPED UP for the season to start!!

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2014 at 8:57 pm

It already has…

• zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:03 pm

True. The D-Backs already trail us by one game. :)

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Grin…

40. chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Damn…I had forgot how spectacular that catch by Blanco was…unreal (watching the replay of Cainer’s Perfecto)….

41. Macdog said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Off topic here, but in an NCAA women’s game tonight, South Carolina beat Oregon State. Oh, the headline possibilities: “Gamecocks whip Beavers.”

42. chipower9 said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:45 pm

LMAO…or, Gamecocks Pound Beavers…

Pound IT Pound IT Pound IT….

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:15 am

Gold Chi!

43. DJLoo said, on March 25, 2014 at 9:47 pm

A dreadful no-name Laker team just put up 51 points in the 3rd quarter vs. the Knicks.

The chant of “DE-FENSE” actually originated at MSG in 1969 when the Knicks prided themselves on holding the opposition under 100 points (for a game, not a half).

• unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:41 am

Hey, they got Bazemore. He’s actually lookin gpretty good for them.

44. zumiee said, on March 25, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Loo was wondering whatever happened to the Melkmaids.
    After Melky’s downfall, the Melkmaids fell on very very rough times. It took its toll on them:

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers