Second Base, We Have A Problem

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 26, 2014

If you ever believed that Marco Scutaro would be playing on opening day, you probably also believe some of the bs coming out of Malaysia about Flight #370. Scoots playing was just never going to happen. And I think he’s done everything he could do to get ready to play. Sometimes, the body just won’t respond. So we turn our collective Giant eye towards J-Arias who will likely be the starting 2nd baseman on Opening Day. I don’t have a big problem with this, I like Arias, I can still see him with my mind’s eye set his body like a rock and heave a mighty strike across the diamond to save Cain’s perfecto.

But this does weaken our bench substantially.

Brandon Hicks is a name we haven’t talked about too much but he’s likely going to make the team as a utility player. Who is Brandon Hicks? Drink a cup of coffee or two while you read the rest of this paragraph. He’s a 28 year old who crafted his trade at Texas A&M. He was drafted by the Braves in the 3rd round of the 2007 Amateur Draft. He was waived and picked up by the A’s in 2012. The Mets bought him from Oakland 6 months later and he was released by them a year later. We signed him last November. He is not on the 40 man roster.

His most recent mlb experience was with the A’s in 2012 where he got 70 plate appearances, hit 3 bombs with a .172 batting average. His minor league career has been far more decorated, at least in comparison. In 7 minor league seasons, he hit 91 bombs, swiped 69 bags and hit an underwhelming .247. Pfffftttt…..

Personally, for me, I’d rather see Kevin Frandsen take his spot.

About these ads

1. willedav said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:20 am

Yes, 2b will be an issue, but this can’t be a surprise to sabes, so Iet’s see how it plays out. Arias is a capable and versatile back up, and does have ability to *run into one* every once in a while. Plenty of guys become available around this time. When Sabes picked up Uribe off ChiSox, he wasn’t even sure to make the team.
    What it does open up is a spot in the LU for someone to hit behind Pagan…maybe Belt, with his patience and ability to use whole field, takes over that spot with big guns to follow. With or without Scut I think Giants are going to score runs this year…just hope other side of equation is much improved.
    I’m less worried about losing Scuts bat (though he is fun to watch at the plate) than I am about being stronger up the middle defensively.

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:34 am

What is your take on Scallopini being reassigned to Santa Cruz? Also what happened to the dude in Samta Cruz?

• willedav said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:51 am

Tough to say about that one, but he and Jackson obviously don’t see eye to eye about something. My guess is it has to do with bench guys like Barnes Green and Speights, their value and how best to use them. Maybe Scal points out something he thinks is important and Jackson disagrees and doesn’t want to hear it. Jack has to make sure his msg. is the most important one that’s being heard and adhered to, and can’t have assts. saying something different to a player, esp behind his back.
        I’ve been an asst. coach a lot, and sometimes it’s frustrating when you see stuff that can be corrected and head is more worried about something/someone else. Head coach is always going to get more credit and more blame, and is the one under the most pressure from all sides, esp at NBA level. You have to make sure players believe and support whatever system coach is running and help them through it.

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:24 am

article I read said Jack would go weeks without talking to Malone last season. Sounds like we have a problem at coach, too

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:10 am

Malone trashed that report last night in a quote somewhere in SFGate. He said he didn’t get along with Jackson, but they spoke every day. I don’t give an S, but looks to me like da Preacha is not going to have a HC job next season. He’s under contract for one more year, but that’s meaningless in the NBA and especially to Lakob. Lakob would probably host a dinner party that costs more than da Preacha’s salary…

• Chipower9 said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:45 am

From all I have read, Belt has the best chance to end up in the 2 hole (at least against righties). Against lefties, Bochy has said that Belt probably drops down to the 6 hole. Others mentioned for the 2 hole are Crawford. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:59 am

The post championship bad luck at 2b has been sort of strange but Franchez and Scutaro played a big part in those championships so it doesn’t sting as much. I would rather see Frandsen too and maybe his refusal of assignment is a sign he’s headed back to the bay.

I watched Cain’s perfecto last night and that throw Arias made was pretty damn awesome. Seeing Cabrera patroling LF was a bit odd. He made a nice grab at the wall in the 6th I think it was. I always kinda liked the MelkMaids. Well, their boobs at least. Didn’t one of them come over to the Flap and comment at one point?

Have you guys ever been down to see the B-league team in Santa Cruz? My brother lives there and he and some of his buddies go now and then. They say it is good fun.

3. Bozo said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:21 am

I was that one guy that thought Marco would be ready for opening day and no, I didn’t think flight #370 landed on Gilligan’s Island. I still think Marco will be ready soon (although I also expect the back giving him fits all year), the Giants have had him playing against the minor league guys so if they 15 day DL him they get him back in five. Like I said awhile back, I don’t think the problem will be someone fielding that position but having the right person bat second. Awhile back Crawford figured he’d bat in the two hole if Scutaro was a no show, I’ve heard both Belt and Morris get mentioned. All of those guys would probably change the way Pagan steals a base, so I’m hoping for a speedy and healthy return of Scutaro.

• Chipower9 said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:49 am

Well actually John, you had company. I thought Marco would be ready to go, and agree, I thought then (and do now) think his back will be problematic all year.

I too have heard Morris’s name mentioned for batting 2nd (forgot to mention it above).

4. Alleykat said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:30 am

Won’t be Fradsen , he just signed with the Nats and gets his old number back 19 in honor of his late brother. Hooks up with Matt Williams now that’s pretty cool.

5. salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:56 am

Frandsen Downs Burriss Culberson Noonan….we talk about the problem with developing an OF but 2b seems to be a tricky one…. It could soon be time to start paniking.

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:58 am

looks like you got yourself a mini-Bowker gang list goin’ there.

• salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:05 am

Yep. Add Tiny Velez?
        The double bagger gang? ;)

• WilcoJoe said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:06 am

I saw Ryan Rohlinger playing for Cleveland (I think) in a Cactus League game the other day…Didn’t he play second?

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:25 am

third, if I recall. What’s Brian BigCock doing these days?

6. salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:29 am

Rohlinger two games at 2b. 50 in the minors.

The depth of futility was Huff. Maybe that was to provide comic relief. Loosen up the troops.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:16 am

Yeah. Bring back Huff at 2B. That’ll do it. As you know, Macdog and I and probably Loo were at that game. Who would’ve imagined we would win the World Series that same year?! Not me. (BTW, the same day the Bosox blew something like a 17-run lead against the Yankees. Welcome back, Bobby Valentine.)

7. Chipower9 said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

I am aware of Hick’s unimpressive background, but we saw him a couple of times at ST. He started a game at 2nd and another in the OF, and looked good in both (made a hell of a catch in the OF), and looked decent at the plate. WTF…it isn’t like you have tons of other options…roll the dice and see what happens. Low cost option with potential upside.

8. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:22 am

Gyros haven’t had a consistent, dependable second sacker since Kent. Stone Hands was serviceable, but his hamstrings were as tight as piano wire, and would frazzle every time he hit a note on the high octaves…

9. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

Bochy said today on KNBR that Scuts got a cortisone shot yesterday, after his nerve block test that apparently didn’t help figure things out much. Sheez, the guy is turning into a pin cushion with all these shots. I’m proud to say I predicted almost from day 1 in ST that Scutaro wouldn’t start the Opener. Not proud that he’s not starting, you know what I mean. In Scuts interview as he entered camp that day he looked so down in the dumps about his back, it was like Bochy just ran over his puppy in the parking lot. More to the point, I just go with believing the exact opposite of what the Giants say about players’ medical issues — that approach usually works. So, when they said early on he’ll be ready by Opening Day, I naturally figured he’d be on the DL…

10. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:50 am

My Top 5 SF Giant second sackers:

Jeff Kent
    Robby Thompson
    Tito
    Joe Morgan
    Give me some more time

My Top of the Bottom 5 SF Giant second sackers:

Rennie Stennett
    Rennie Stennett
    Rennie Stennett
    Rennie Stennett
    Tied for 5th: Rob Wilfong (8 ABs); Bill Hall; Orlando Cabrera; Joe Strain

• Alleykat said, on March 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

Snarkk,Sure we have some room for Rennie at the bottom with Manny Trillo and Tommy Herr, both done when we got em!
      Though I liked Herr in his prime with Stl
      One year he hit 8 HR’s(career high)and knocked in 110 runs, probably one of the only guys in history to not get double figures in Bombs while knocking in over 100 rbi’s…

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I almost put Trillo in there, but at least he played for a coupla years, as I remember, and didn’t stink it up too much. He had a really strange “slinging” type of throwing motion. I read once where he was pain in the butt in the clubhouse. Strain was 1979-1980 for SF, then a cup of coffee with the Cubs, then out of baseball. Strange how lots of Giants are out of baseball soon after they leave…

• unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Joe Strain! Vaguely remember him. Early 70s?

His middle name was hammy . . .

• salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Ok. A little history and trivia. (Yep, working at home today. Or pretending to.)

Far as I can tell, Robbie T is the only *homegrown* All Star two bagger in SF Giants history?

Going back, little known Davey Williams in 1953. Ironically, he had a career ending back injury after being run over by Jackie Robinson covering a bunt in 1955.

Maybe someone (Prof Loo?) knows of others.

**Ed Stanky and Franky Frisch were both AS, but Stank wasn’t a homie and, by the time they had the inaugural game in 33, Frisch had moved on to St Loo.

11. willedav said, on March 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

As far as Jackson and Dubs goes, I think there are two important points. One, like most things in NBA is ego, and I believe after having grown up in NY, played college and pro there plus a long NBA career, Jax figures he knows what he wants and how best to do it. But when it doesn’t happen, like losing games at home to chump teams, he is tested. Let’s see how he and his team respond.
    He also has to deal with ego of ownership, plus media and fanbase as head guy in addition to the b-ball stuff. I think he’s a lot more at home in the gym than elsewhere, where he can be *himself*. Even his interactions with Tolbert sometimes seem kind of desultory, and I doubt he has much respect for a career end of the bench guy like Scalabrine. Maybe if he coaches longer he will mature and grow to accept others with knowledge of game.
    The other elephant in any discussion of Dubs is San Antonio. For them to walk into Oaktown with Duncan in a sport jacket and Ginobili in sweats and whip GS has gotta frost Lacob, and Jax too as they watch Tiago Splitter and Belinelli light up GS. Belinelli esp is like a double b-slap since he played here, and now this is second time it’s happened. I almost wonder if Pops does it on purpose. I’m sure Spurs take delight in sending the msg to GS that we can beat you anytime with any LU. Jax hasn’t been able to do anything about it and to get anywhere he will have to beat them, 4 times. Not happening.
    I highly doubt GS will do near as well in playoffs as last year; any first round match up (OKC, Houston) will be much tougher and better prepared for them than Denver was. Jax hasn’t been able to do much with Barnes or get enough out of Igs either, and guard spot without J Jack does not have depth of last year. Early exit will not sit well with ownership media or fanbase. As one of my old co-workers from NYC used to say, “Heads will roll.”

• salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 11:48 am

Its said he had trouble with Malone getting credit. Sounds like insecurity.

Don Nelson on the other hand credited and promoted his guys
      Popovich keith Smart and Larry Riley.

12. Irish Kevin said, on March 26, 2014 at 11:44 am

What??? The Giants old man, bad back 2nd basemen is not ready for OD??? Damn I am shocked. If he does play this year, I will say he plays in less than 90 games.

• salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I might say less than 9. Surgery is not an option being considered “yet” per Boch. Probably a career ender. But c’mon. Realistically, he’s had 6 mos and it’s still killing him. And he’s been doing light stuff non baseball. Logic says once he tries to go full speed at bending, running swinging sitting on a plane for hrs, he’ll be in agony.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:46 pm

What surgery would they do? Supposedly the problem is caused by one leg shorter than the other, which generates some amorphous hip trouble, then that causes back problems of some sort. If Bochy says they’re not considering surgery, look out. Scuts will probably go under the knife within two weeks…

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2014 at 6:17 pm

You’re both (salty and snarkk) right . . . You exhaust all non-invasive forms of rehab (e.g., massage, weight training, acupuncture, physical therapy, etc.,) before even considering surgery. As salty pointed out, they’ve been doing that for the last 6 months. However, as snarkk pointed out – why would you do surgery, when his problem is due to a genetic defect that can’t be corrected (unless they gene splice a lizard with his shorter leg. Ha.).

Put a fork in him. In my opinion, Scoots is done. This situation screams the last 2 (or was it 3) years of “Glass” Sanchez.

• salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not jumping on you Kevin.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:58 pm

all is good Salty, I didn’t read your comment as a negative to me personally. I enjoy reading all comments after I post mine. I love other peoples insights.

• Chipower9 said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Better keep a close eye (and grip) on that shovel, Kev. I’ll grab that bad boy and whack you a good one! ;-) JK. I really did expect Scoots to power through this and be there for the opener. I still think he plays this year. How much…who knows…but he will probably be fighting that back the rest of his life.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, when I was typing my note back to Salty, I was thinking of telling him the only one that gets their panties in a wad over me talking smack about Scoots is Chi ha ha, all is good Chi, nothing but fun out here.

13. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:32 pm

WillieD, that was the 2nd time this year Pops played his bench and beat the Warriors. Frankly, I think they are a better team this year. Igluodala and a healthy Lee and Bogut for the playoff run will do wonders. I think they match up better with SA’s starters, besides. They Dubs are dinged up right now, and this 5 day break couldn’t come at a better time.

The bench is certainly better with Blake back there. Not quite as good as Jax, but overall with Jermaine O’Neal contributing, I think the team overall stands a better chance of getting farther in the playoffs this year.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Barnes played his ass off in last year’s playoffs. He’s been near invisible this season coming off the bench due to Iggy starting. That’s not good. My guess is they are one and done in the POs, every team in the West is a bear…

14. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Besides, the fan base put up with absolute shit for 20 years. I don’t think they’ll come unglued over this.

That being said, they’d be playing the Clips (3 vs 6) if it started now. The could end up playing Houston if GS can pass Portland. I don;t think they’ll drop to 7 and play OKC, but shit could happen.

Barnes is the big ?. He looks lost on the 2nd team. And he’s played like shit subbing for Iggy. That’s more on him than Jackson. I was worried about Thompson, but he’s actually gotten a lot better at attacking the basket.

The Dubs deal is ball control. When Curry gets loose with the rock, shit goes south. If he (and the rest of them) can keep the turnovers down, they can hang with just about anyone.

• willedav said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Clips and Houston are gonna be tough match ups. I like ONeal a lot, Bogut too. Harden and Chris Paul will be hard for Dubs to stop in half court sets that dominate playoff ball. Both teams have bigs that can score too, making it tough on Lee. Any foul trouble for Thompson Curry Bogut will hurt. I don’t see them beating either of those teams, Spurs neither. West conference is just too tough right now, imo.
      I think it’s mostly Lacob that will want answers. And fans will have to wonder if Dubs are destined to be always second tier in West. Tremendous improvement, but it will be really tough to hit next level. Just my take.

15. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

From the “where are they now?” department. Jack Taschner, left handed reliever for the Giants.
    SF traded him on March 27, 2009 to the Phills for Ronny Paulino (who SF traded immediately). Tasch bounced from the Phills to the Pirates farm system, then last pitched in the majors for the Doghairs, pitching for LA in late July 2010, retiring one batter, then DFA’d. Career MLB WHIP of 1.65. (Per Wiki and Bball-reference)
    Now, a cop in his hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin…

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I remember someone at the old Splash nicknaming him “Trashcan.” Jack “Trashcan” Taschner.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I think I called him “Trashner”. Can’t claim I invented it, don’t really remember…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I remember Kruk once pointing out that Taschner had changed the position of where he toed the rubber and that “folks” was going to solve all his issues… Apparently not.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

The reason I remember that is Krukow said that during a stretch in spring training in which Taschner was throwing very well…Of course when the wheels fell off, I remember thinking if Krukow could only remind him about that toe position, he may get back on track…I think he was traded shortly thereafter…I always wonder how much input he has for these pitchers, or if he is just making this shut up…I think it’s the latter.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Taschner was probably tipping his pitches. That’s the “go to” excuse when some hurler keeps getting shelled…

16. zumiee said, on March 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Kruk and Kuip get interviewed by Chris Haft of MLB.com, regarding the upcoming season:

17. salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hopefully Hicks will fare better than 2004-5 alum Brian Dallimore.

18. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Cain is getting battered in the last ST game today. Meanwhile, the local NLRB office in Chicago has ruled that the Northwestern football team players are indeed employees of the university, so they can organize in a union. This is a huge deal. The university will appeal to the full NLRB board. The eventual fall of the corrupt NCAA is becoming more likely every day…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I was glad to see this news on the Northwestern players.

• Macdog said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Good for the Northwestern players. In the latest example of how much greed there is in the NCAA, the Ohio State athletic director, who already is raking in a $900,000 salary, just received an $18,000 bonus for one of the Ohio State wrestlers winning the 141-pound title at the NCAA Championships last weekend. That’s so wrong.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm

And the kid wrestler got? A cleaned singlet and his offseason workouts schedule…

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:50 pm

The Giants with a 27 percent increase in value in one year, the highest in the majors, according to Forbes. Now valued at 1 Billion.

snarkk, your thoughts?

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Too low…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

haha, sorry man I couldn’t resist. I would think they’re worth at least as much as the Cubs.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Cubs have bigger cable revs than SF, but historical and dogmeat ballpark in need of big time rehab north of $300 million, with uncertainty of who’s going to pay for it. Classic tired franchise that really needs a jolt of something, I’d have thought the new ownership and Theo Epstein would have done some things by now. I’d rather have the Giants. BTW, Forbes says that LA is worth $2.0 billion, when it sold for $2.2 billion two years ago. There’s been some glitches in how much the LA cable dollars will actually generate, but there’s no way LA is worth $200M LESS than it was when the Guggenhammers bought it…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:59 pm

What’s up with the TV deal? I see where it is listed as more or less a shit deal for the club. How long is it? Do you know?

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I don’t know the details on the CSN deal, or length. I do know that the Giants own 30% of the network, so they get 30% of every ad dollar booked on everything, not just Giants games. My guess is the Giants would look in future to buy more of the network, if the deal allows them to do so. If I were the Giants, my goal would be to buy enough to at least have control over the network if not outright ownership of the whole thing. The Yanks owned their YES network, and sold off 49% of it to Fox for $2 billion in 2012. Dodgers did their deal with Time Warner for something like $8.3 billion over the next 25 years, where the team owns SportsNetLA, and TW manages the network for the team. Trouble is, TW is having trouble selling the games now to the various cable providers in the LA area who are balking at the high rates TW wants to charge for games so that the deal pencils out for TW…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm

ahh, I see. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm

And, now the Cubs have just this last year left with WGN televising some of their games, with the rest on CSN Chicago. So, all their games will also go strictly cable starting next year; maybe all with CSN, and they’ll get more money for that. Cubs tv deal with CSN is up in 2019, so at that point, they’ll likely do something like the Doghairs — start their own network, take all the ad dough, and farm out the management…

20. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:51 pm

KNBR and Baggs report Affeldt onto the DL for a knee strain — where did that come from? Is this guy ever going to be healthy again?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I guess Law is on the big club eh?

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I would think so…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I know! I heard that in the car this afternoon and was surprised I missed it.

21. salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Their big 3, multi year deals after WS– Pagan Scoots and the knife plunger, all having injury issues .

22. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

You can see with all this TV money going nutz that Panda’s agent has to be salivating about going FA this coming offseason. He’s just got to get Panda through this season in good shape, no big injuries, and producing at the plate. No guarantees in that…

23. Chipower9 said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Fucking SP is looking like dried dog shit (except for MadBum). Scoots is starting the season on the DL. But it IS spring training. Fuck it…had to post some feel good memories from the 2012 series. Hey, if Scoots is done, maybe they can pry Theriot out of retirement…couldn’t be any worse than the other options.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 3:33 pm

It is ST, but the starters have been looking more shaky, not getting better. I’ll wait to see how they do in the upcoming Bay Bridge faceoff, but no way I’m going to go with 90+ wins for this team. Too many questionmarks…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm

There you go again Chi, looking at old guys!! Gay ass smiley face right…here

• Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 7:59 am

Kev – Guess the facetiousness of the Theriot comment didn’t come through in the electrons. But actually, if a guy like Theriot was available, and in decent baseball shape, then the Giants could use something like that. I like Arias, but not as an every-day starter. Theriot is 34…not exactly ancient. If given the starting job he was seeking he is probably still in the game, today.

24. Alleykat said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Boys are battling all the way back!
    Down 6-0, now with the magical swing of one Jarret Parker (doesn’t play 2B) Grandslam they just tied the Rox’s at 6-6! Here’s to #86 this Buds for you🍻

25. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Yikes. ST doesn’t mean much, but trending? Maybe they’s just tired of AZ. Be nice to see them hit thre ground rested and ready to go instead of hitting the DL and blowing up in the first few innings.

26. Alleykat said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Hector Sanchez walk off 2 run bomb Giants 8-6 winners over the lowly Rockies! Team is resilent battling this spring,improving to 17-10

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm

One of the better ST records. Does it mean much? Probably not. But, I do think they will score more this year than the weakass 629 = 3.88 per game last season. Dare we hope 700 runs = about 4.32 rpg?

27. Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm

based on his twitter feed, Ryan The-Riot looks pretty happy doing what he’s doing. He seems to hunt every day and he’s involved in some type of gym ownership that he hypes a lot. Probably spending a lot of time with his kids, too.

• Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 am

Yeah, as I mentioned to Kevin earlier, a good bit of facetiousness in my Theriot comment, but really, at 34, the dude can probably still play. They’ll have to do something if Scotts cannot go long-term. I just don’t see Arias morphing into an every-day guy. Platoon of Arias, Hicks and maybe Adrianza…I don’t know…gonna be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

28. Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Snarkk– agree with your 3:33. The starting pitching looks awful and I can already hear JAMES telling us we have the worst starting pitching staff in the league.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Yep, James is going to tear this staff a new one if they keep up with this S. Could be that Bum and Hudson are the 1-2 punch, and the rest are ? If we’re counting on Petit as a savior of some sort, we’ll be in deep doo doo…

29. Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm

How ’bout some more BBOTD taglines from you BBOTD regs! I put a winner up there today. I felt bad about the chick from the day before. I crossed a line of decency and I learned something about myself— I still have a line of decency to cross. That’ll come in handy in social situations (I think).

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:15 pm

too tempting

30. Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:48 pm

this was a comforting tweet:
    Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 12m
    Bochy said there’s no timetable for Scutaro’s return: “I don’t know, we don’t know, the doctors don’t know.”

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Translation: He’s done…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:53 pm

It really is Glass Sanchez redux.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

If Panik were a real prospect, this is when you roll the dice and bring a guy up and see what happens. Arias will be an OK guy at 2b, but he’s not really a 2bman, and him starting means the bench weakens, as BF said in the thread. They did it with Crawford, he flailed for 2 months with the glove, then righted the ship. You need D at second, the bat is secondary. With Belt, they brought him up too early in a position where the bat is key, not the glove. So, this has to mean Hicks and his underwhelming resume are on the club, right?…

31. pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I can’t cite chapter and verse to prove this, but I feel that since the 1970s or so Giants teams that do well in the season also fared well in ST. That’s my one non-doomer thread to hang on to, dangling. Affeldt goes DL just like that. Scoots down. Cain bombed. Sigh.

32. WilcoJoe said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Devils advocate question here…If the Giants were to fall out of it by the trade deadline, and decided to blow it all up (hey the Red Sox did it two years ago and went on to win the World Series last year) who if any would be your untouchables?

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Bum, Posey, Pagan, Pence, and Belt. Nobody else…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Pagan? He’d be the first to go (assuming he was healthy and having a decent year). And no one, NO ONE is taking Buster and his 100 gazillion dollar deal. So while I wouldn’t consider him untouchable depending on the offer, I do think he’s untradeable.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I wouldn’t get rid of Pagan because he’s got 3 years left at “only” $10M per year, and they’ve got no outfielders, let alone any that can leadoff, in the system…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:06 pm

well, a lot of our guys have pretty big contract so they wouldn’t be easy to move regardless of the year they have. But I would say that Bum is an untouchable. And that’s probably it.

33. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Ya know, I just saw where Runzler is coming up for the BB series. Maybe with Affeldt down to the DL, they might keep Runzler if he shows a good outing this weekend…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Yes. I think that has to be on the table now.

34. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Howinhell does Affeldt get a sprained MCL? Catching his kid jumping off the couch again?…

35. pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Is Dustin Hermanson available? or Matt Herges? Ah, the Bowker Era.

36. pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Frankly, I’d take Jeff Kent now at 2B.

37. salty said, on March 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Get ready for “And that’s your Brandon 6-4-3.”

38. SanDawg said, on March 26, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I actually thought Joe Strain was gonna be the real deal back in the day. He was great in the field, a heady player, and he hit .286 and .250 over parts of 2 seasons—not bad numbers for a young 2B in that era.
    I was pissed when we traded him. But before long, he was out of the bigs for good.
    I was such a dreamer back then. Every prospect that came along, I was hoping against hope would turn into a stud. Strain, Terry Whitfield, Glen Adams, Gary Alexander……we could list tons of them I know.
    Hell, I thought we stole Von Joshua from LA and that he was going to be an ace lead-off guy for us for years.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Terry Whitfield. He was “my guy.” In the Syracuse Chiefs Wall of Fame. Interviewed him in Pittsburgh. 1978. Me to McCovey, wide-eyed and callow: “Do you think Terry Whitfield can be a superstar?” [Mind you, it was not a word I would ever use. The query was suggested by a local sportswriter.] Stretch: “Sheeeeet. [three syllables] There ain’t no superstars.”

Larry Herndon. I saw him as another Willie Mays, too. One was involved in an infield rundown! I asked him about it in the lockerroom in Pittsburgh. He was like, what’s the big deal. Quiet and reserved. And what about some of those outfield plays by Rajai Davis?

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I loved Terry Whitfield. Mostly because I remember his sissy ass batting stance. My parents were getting divorced, it was a very bad time, and I was watching a lot games and his stance hooked me—mostly in a bad way, I couldn’t believe anyone could hit like that. I recall him not hitting well so that bolstered by opinion of his stance. :)
        But hey, he hit nearly .300 as a Giant in 3 seasons, in the late 70’s that was fantastic.
        But I love Whitfield because I remember him and I remember very little from my childhood. That’s why I love him.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

A. Now I feel guilty (or guiltier; Catholics, like Lutherans and Jews, are never quite perfectly guilt-free) about divorce. B. He was a genuinely nice fella. C. Maybe I remember too much from my childhood.

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:38 pm

we remember what we remember. I’m much happier to be in the now than in the then. There’s a # waiting to happen with that right? lol

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Whitfield, as I remember, had a very tip toe kind of stance. Like he was in second position ready to do a ballet move as he swung…

39. SanDawg said, on March 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

FYI Von Joshua hit .318 for us in his one full season in SF. Over 500 AB’s with 75 runs scored and 20 SB’s. Did get caught 10 times though. Not bad at all—better than I remembered.

40. blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I also agree with snarkk’s 3:33 . . . See my 6:17 response to Salty (and snarkk). This team has so many question marks, that Bum and Posey are about the only sure things I see on this team. I also agree with Flavor about there only being one “untouchable” and his name is sno . . . Umm, Bumgarner.

Of course, my channeling Pawlie’s annual doomerism usually works in opposite bizarro fashion, so we just might see that 90 plus win season yet. :-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Yes, Blade. True. Are you in Amerika? Hey, did you see that the Rockies are gonna give out a Sasquatch bobblehead? For some reason, I like that, tho’ why in Colorado, I don’t know. I thought Sasquatch lived in the Pacific Northwest.

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yes, and am glad to be in the old U.S. of A. (although, I did buy a TShirt on my last full day in Ho Chi Minh city, with a yellow star on red background . . . Communist Vietnamese Flag. HAHA . . . I probably wont be wearing that item at the local American Legion or VFW halls).

No idea the Sherpas would have a Sasquatch bobblehead, much less any type of bobblehead (cheap bastards that they are). However, the Rockies are fortunate that they get a lot of fans from other nearby States that have only college teams to crow about, e.g., Wyoming, New Mexico, Iowa, etc.

41. ewisco said, on March 26, 2014 at 7:35 pm

kershaw scratched for a back problem? doesn’t help giant pitching but nice to see the dogs having their issues.

42. James said, on March 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Von Joshua once knocked on the door of a North Oakland house I lived in in the early 90s. It was the house he grew up in, and he wanted to step in and take a look. I wasn’t home at the time. My room mate asked me later if I knew of a baseball player named Von Joshua. I explained that his .318 batting average, a number I was able to rattle off in the moment, gave me a lot of pleasure at a time my team wasn’t doing that well.

• SanDawg said, on March 26, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Awesome! Yeah, he was an Oakland guy. Even better than the story a teacher at my school tells about David Lee Roth showing up at his house in Pasadena one time looking for his sister. Pre-rock star days, of course.
      Why the hell did we get rid of Von Joshua? To make room for Billy North?
      I also dug Herndon, though I had higher hopes for him. My oldest brother was at the game at Tiger Stadium when he hit 3 homers—-which was pretty surprising as he wasn’t exactly a masher.

43. snarkk said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Personal relationships with DL Roth and Von Joshua. Vietnam, China, and points east. My mind boggles at the Flap’s incredible extension into various zones of reality. Sasquatch has found his/her way into Colorado? Why? Looking for a Republican? Last I saw him, Bigfoot was near Bluff Creek’s entrance into the Klamath in NorCal as I flayed the mighty river for the elusive steelhead, ala Zane Grey. But, two fingers of Makers helps the search, too. The starters are cratering as ST sands flow out of the SF hourglass, but maybe it’s just a feint into a 92 win season for the Gyros? Only the sands of time and Marty Lurie weekends will tell…

44. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Larry Herndon, Chili Davis, Bobby Murcer, Gary Maddox, Mike Aldrete? Well, some of those guys were the ‘next Willie Mays.’ Not too big of shoes to fill, but just being in that spot brought baggage.

My wife saw Van Halen growing up in LA when they were a garage band. Her brother (bass player) has a bass that Michael Anthony gave him.

• ewisco said, on March 27, 2014 at 6:33 am

being in a garage band in my 30’s was probably one of the funnest things i ever did.

• willedav said, on March 27, 2014 at 7:30 am

Ken Henderson a little earlier.
      I’d leave Panik where he is til he figures out how to hit minor league pitching.
      If 2b by committee isn’t making it, let Sabes find a mlb to fill that spot.
      Having a strong bench is nice, but having last year regulars playing better will do more for this club, imo.

• stixwiz said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

Yes, before beginning to read today’s comments, my thought was that the Giants would push the panic button (seeking elsewhere for a 2B filler) than pressing the Panik button. Your read is quite close. Eastern League is probably the ne plus ultra for tough minor league pitching. Panik did only so-so against them, not particularly bad, but not inspiring either. If he brings it up a notch or two in that venue ~ or at Fresno if that becomes the situation ~then the Brass will give him a serious shot.

45. Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:27 am

RE: who is untouchable. Definitely MadBum. I think Posey, too. Partly, as Flavor says, he is probably un-tradeable, but I think from a marketing perspective, etc. he is quickly becoming (if not so already) the face of the franchise. Just don’t see the team moving him, even if they could. I would put Pence in that category, too. No way you go onto the open market now and grab an OFer who plays as frequently as him (no injury bug) and provides that production for that coin. I think Belt has the chance to really blossom into something special, but untouchable? Probably not.

Here is the link to the valuation of the clubs.

While many look strictly at the value (and the 1 year change is interesting), I found equally interesting the revenue values and also the operating income. Check out the Bumbinos at MINUS 80 mil, plus for operating income. That 200 mil plus payroll is kicking ass on that operating income. Is that a sustainable model? Probably not…regardless of how deep your pockets are.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2014 at 9:03 am

I would include Cain as he is sort of the face of the franchise as Posey is becoming and also Belt because he is controllable. Of course that is what other clubs would like about him. So Posey, Cain, Belt and Bumgarner…Ahhh, keep em all. Just win.

46. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:58 am

If Boston can dump all their onerous contracts, certainly the Giants could. At least a couple of them anyway. One in particular. Guess we just wait and see how this season plays out. Which means they wait on Panda if their thought is to blow this up if the season goes south.

The thing is, in these parts, the players seem to matter, not the bottom line of winning it all, to a large extent. And the marketing shit (panda hats, giraffe crap, Melkmaids, etc) confirms this. There is a certain amount of fair-weather fandom that the team exploits with the ‘game experience’ aspect of going to the park. Sure, the fans want to win it all, but if it comes at the cost of losing Panda, baby giraffe, Timmy, and Hunter, would the backlash drive people OUT of the park? I think it would, but I don’t know. I mean look at the Marlins. They can’t draw for shit even though they’ve won 2 WS’s in recent memory. But that team is run like a used car lot. People here get emotionally invested in the players, and I think there’d be trouble if they dumped a bunch of guys.

Shit, who knows? This season is already full of questions and uncertainty. More than usual for a recent WS champ.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:07 am

The primary thing the fans are invested in is ATT ballpark. That’s numero uno. She’s the siren that never gets traded. They’ll come regardless of what players come in, who gets traded out. That’s why I’ve said many times that the Gyros in that way are very much like the Cubs. Crap, the park was sold out when the team was in the toilet from 2005-2008, and the first basemen were Hillenbrand and Klesko (no animal hats there) and the Pen was in thrall of HOFers like Vinnie Chulk…

47. blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:18 am

“Sure, the fans want to win it all, but if it comes at the cost of losing Panda, baby giraffe, Timmy, and Hunter, would the backlash drive people OUT of the park? I think it would, but I don’t know.”

Obviously, I don’t know for sure either (nor does anyone else). However, my sense is if the Giants have another “meh” season like last year, then there will be little or no questioning about “blowing up” the team. This is especially true for Lincecum and Panda. Belt hasn’t even arrived yet, so if he doesn’t follow up last year’s promising season with at least an equally good one – I think he will also be trade bait. This is how I evaluate most of the roster:

1. Lincecum – No rope . . . If he has another crappy season, he is gone.
    2. Cain – Lots of rope . . . He’ll probably still remain if he has a similar poor season like last year.
    3. Bum – No way, no how they get rid of Bum. Even if he has a shitty season, everyone will view it as an anomaly.
    4. Voggie – Voggie is already swinging from the gallows pole . . . He best hope Robin Hood, Clint Eastwood, or some other sharpshooter cuts the rope before he is dead.
    5. Hudson – One and out after this season, if he doesn’t meet expectations for a number 3.
    6. Romo – Adios if he doesn’t perform.
    7. Affeldt – Gone if he doesn’t revert back to form.
    8. Pagan – Is Pagone if he is injured as he was last season or has a mediocre season.
    9. Pence – Lots of rope and good will. He will remain even if he has a bad season.
    10. Panda – Gone to free agency if he doesn’t finally fulfill his promise and potential. GMen will pay up if he performs though.
    11. Belt – Trade bait and gone if he regresses from last season.
    12. Scutaro – The “execution” already happened and the gallows pole is being prepared for someone else. :-)
    13. Crawford – He needs to hit left handers or at least compensate adequately against right handers (overall batting average of .260). Not much rope.

I see the Giants showcasing and then trading Lincecum immediately if he has face planted and they are out of it at the All Star break. Hopefully, if that occurs, he has 1-2 games in August where he is excellent and they can get something for him besides the proverbial bag of balls.

Same deal with Panda. If the team is going no where and he has been a pain in the ass, coupled with another season like this one last year – the Giants should try to trade him for something before he is a free agent.

Like I said, I sure don’t know for certain what the Giants will do if we lay an egg this season, but I can’t see them bringing the same players from the 2012 World Series team back 3 years straight, as they are doing this year.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

Hangman, hangman, hold it a little while,
      I Think I see my friends coming, Riding a many mile.
      Friends, you get some silver?
      Did you get a little gold?
      What did you bring me, my dear friends? Keep me from the Gallows Pole.

Will you settle for some rally enchiladas? ;)

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

For all the great Led Zeppelin hard rock songs, Gallows Pole is one of my favorite songs of their’s.

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:29 am

Almost forgot the name of the song. Ha.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:34 am

Me too, blade. Great song.

I pretty much agree with your post above. Are you expecting Romo to regress? I don’t think he will and he’ll potentially be a big chip regardless of the club’s performance.

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

No, I see Romo doing well this season, but he will want to be paid and I am not certain the Giants will pay up (even if he is outstanding). If he flames out, then I see Hembree or someone else in house taking over the closer duties.

I hope all the Giants do well and we can keep the 2012 nucleus, but realistically bringing back essentially the same team 3 consecutive years after mediocre seasons seems ill-advised. The Giants have to make the playoffs for that to happen in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:11 am

blade, how are the Giants going to get rid of Tim and Hudson if they crater? They’ve got contracts at major coin through 2015. No team is going to want them if they crater at those prices…

• salty said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:22 am

Exactly. A lot of bread to eat…not exactly Giants MO. Vogey is easy. Let Panda and Romo walk. Scoots Affeldt can be written off…..but the rest…Zito Rowand redux.

• Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:26 am

My question, exactly. If either face-plant, no way in hell can you deal them for anything worthwhile…not at the coin they are owed.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:23 am

IMO the Cain deal will bite the Giants big time in its out years…

48. SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:48 am

Nice work Blade. My only serious disagreement is Lincecum. No way in hell they ever trade him regardless of how bad he performs. Too big of a franchise icon for that to occur IMO.
    Also Blade….I googled Joe Strain and found out he is a Denver native and his dad is/was quite the swinging dick in the high school/juco coaching community.
    I’m borderline obsessed with Joe Strain and am wondering if you have any local family stories for us?
    Flav—can you get Strain on the horn ala Phil Nastu?

• Alleykat said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:59 am

Should try and hook up with Brian Bocock as well.
      Flap can talk about “Nasty Strain Cock”

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

Mea culpa SD . . . As much as I strained to recall Strain, my brain has no recollection of him playing for the Giants (no pun intended). I was just getting out of the Air Force in 1979 when he played and I wasn’t home in CA at the time. Regarding his dad, he coached basketball quite awhile ago, almost 14 years after I moved here. I think he retired in 1986 and earlier this year, he was inducted into the Colorado High School Activities Association Hall of Fame. You’re right – he was an excellent HS coach.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:18 am

Did I start a hullaballoo by mentioning Joe Strain in my top 5 worst 2d sackers? Here is some background. Supposedly, he is / may be an SF Giants scout…

• SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:34 am

So cool that he is back in the organization where he STARRED as a player! Love that little write up you found. I distinctly remember my friend Craig Fitzer freaking out everytime he saw that prospects card with the freaky picture of Strain. I seem to recall there was a Jim Wohlford card that gave him nightmares as well–Craig was kind of weird that way. Can someone find out who Strain hit his only HR off? I MUST KNOW.
        …and that was a typical batch of Giants prospects for back then. Didn’t Tamargo get a little run here on the blog for being someone we discussed’s minor league manager? And what about Greg Johnston? Looks like he can’t wait to hop in his Camaro and spark up a fresh bowl. Then you’d see the Dodgers rookie card and it would be 2 guys who would go on to win rookie of the year and another guy who was a solid MLB player.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:57 am

Dawg, you’re bringing back some bad, hazy memories. That Giants era ’72 through ’85 was mostly a wilderness time, with just a few bright spot years. Gawd, there were some bad teams back then. So bad, so inept, as a Giants fan you were proud of still being a fan through it all. Where beating the damn Dodgers was a major highlight of the season…

49. SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:40 am

Here is a quick example of a nice group of Dodger prospects:

I’m sure I could find a better example, but I have to get to work. FYI One of the few (only?) times I was on TV was for doing an anti-Mike Marshall rant from the outside bar at SDSU after Marshall taunted Scott Garrelts after taking him deep. The year of our Lord 1986 or thereabouts.

50. blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:40 am

Also, what is this idea for “something worthwhile” that Chi, snarkk, and others are talking about? If Lincecum (or anyone else on the team) fucking sucks, then what do you expect to get in return? What do you expect to gain if he stays? If he sucks, he can suck with us or he can suck on another team. Again, in regard to Lincecum, if he sucks this season, that will be 3 seasons in a row of suckage. At that point, you just want to shed a contract ala the Red Sox, Yankees, and Marlins.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Other than Rohand, I can’t think of the Giants just throwing in the towel on a cratered guy with major coin left on his deal. And the Gamer had no fan support, none — so jettisoning him had no PR downside. Seriously, blade, if anybody sucks for a period of time, I’m up for tossing him aside regardless of his deal or what they get or don’t get in return. But, I’m not Charles Johnson, he of the $7.5 billion checkbook, who apparently does care about that…

• Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm

What I was trying to say Blade was that if someone sucks, you are not going to get anything worthwhile for them. Tim may be an exception…if he was stinking the joint up, and the Giants released him (would never happen, IMO), or if they tried to trade him, they would get nada in return. Some team may take a flyer on Lincecum just because of his background, regardless of years of sucktitude…

51. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:47 am

Yeah, I’m with you there, ‘Dawg. I think Timmy, Cain, Belt, Panda, Posey, and Pence are heavy fan favorites. Pagan is close, as is Romo, but they wouldn’t be missed too much.

“Phil Nastu, Brian Bocock, and Joe Strain walk into a bar . . .”

52. blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:54 am

San Dawg, here is a good article about Strain as well . . . http://newsok.com/joe-strain-making-most-of-big-chance-with-89ers/article/2027885

53. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m generally indifferent to player contracts but the Affeldt deal just kills me. Especially after reading that he was pitching without the knee brace when injured. WTF?

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I second the WTF. Did we ever hear that Affeldt had to or should wear a knee brace? I suppose this is the same knee he screwed up when he caught his kid jumping off the couch 2 years ago or whenever it was, that strain sent him to the DL then. The story, of course, doesn’t say he’s supposed to or has been ordered to wear the brace, or whether it’s just up to him. So, he strained an MCL just pitching? Seems hard to do. Bochy’s clipped comment indicates to me he’s perturbed, meaning Affeldt screwed up. When he’s on, he’s good, but we’ve got 2 more years at $6M for this guy, who seems unable to stay healthy. http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/affeldt-has-strained-knee-ligament-will-start-season-dl

54. zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

“in regard to Lincecum, if he sucks this season, that will be 4 seasons in a row of suckage”

Just splitting hairs, but that would be 3 seasons not 4. Lincecum had a terrific 2011 season. He just had HORRIBLE run support. He had a 2.75 ERA, and a 13-14 record. That was the season he lost several games 1-0 and 2-1. He could have won 20 games that season with any kind of decent run support.

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Nope, you are not splitting hairs, as you are spot on. I actually noted that 30 minutes ago Zum, but I was eating popcorn and didn’t want to get my keyboard dirty editing my post (which is corrected now). ;-)

55. Macdog said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:22 pm

SanDawg: A quick check of Baseball Reference finds Joe Strain hit his lone home run July 10, 1979, off the Expos’ Rudy May in Montreal, a 2-run shot in the top of the 9th to give the Giants a 7-5 lead. The Giants would blow the lead in the 9th, but win 11-7 in 13 innings. BTW, the Mets and Blue Jays are playing two games in Montreal this weekend at Olympic Stadium.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Kinda cool they’re playing again in Montreal. In my only visit to Montreal, I took a tour of that stadium in the mid-90s for the helluvit, it was during the off season. Place was weird — like a big mausoleum. Montreal was great, tho. Beautiful city, great food…

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I was there in 1978. Cavernous. I was loud and drunk, cheering for Bobby Valentine on the Mets. The locals taunted me after he popped out. The biodome next-door is awesome. Great, great town. Best-looking women. Well dressed. And they stare at men! Leonard Cohen’s birthplace, too.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Agreed. Women are top notch looking — I looked, but that’s all, Mrs. Snarkk was along. Cool bistros. I’d visit there again in a heartbeat. Also visited Quebec City. Old world town, very Euro looking. Great food there, too, and overlooking the St. Lawrence. Cold as crap in the winter, tho, apparently…

• SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Nice pull Macdog—thank you! Rudy May is kind of a cool guy to have your one homer come off of. Another Oak-town guy, I just saw on wiki. 152 wins in the bigs. I was guessing 80 or so.

56. zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I went to one of the Giants/A’s Spring Training “Bay Series” games back in ’95, which, if I remember correctly, was played by replacement players. MLB went to the brink after the ’94 strike, and then blinked before the start of the ’95 regular season, and caved into the players. The NFL held firm in ’87, used replacement players for real games, and guess in which sport do the players have less leverage, and less guaranteed contracts? We all know.
    The main reason I went to the game was because a friend had been given some luxury box seats at the Oakland Coluseum for the game. The luxury box experience was OK, but I remember thinking that sitting out in the regular seats was a preferrable experience.

57. pawliekokonuts said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Snarkk, meant to comment at 3am when I had some sleep deficit owing to heartburn on your poetic musings around that hour.

New subject. The U.S. Mint is selling gold coins to help the HOF? http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/us_mint_starts_selling_first_curved_coins_to_benefit_baseball_hall_of_fame_in_co.html#incart_river_default
    That strikes me as wrong.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm

If you mean my Makers-induced exploration of the existential meaning of the wanderings of Bigfoot and van Halen, thanks. I think…

58. pawliekokonuts said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Blade, as for your “known unknown” quote the other day, who knew what was new or old in the realm of unknown known unknowns? I knew not about this knot of words. http://nyti.ms/1eRES7z

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Excellent! This is good stuff Pawlie, as I wasn’t aware of this writing by John Wesley Powell’s (which I had to read 3 times to understand it), nor was I familiar with the entire “Chicken Little” parable. Thank you for sharing!

59. unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:36 pm

The biggest problem with the coin is that instead of saying L I B E R T Y in the mitt, it should say M A Y S.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

gold, aptly so, for a gold coin; well done, Chuck

60. Irish Kevin said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Buster’s Birthday today, Happy birthday Buster

61. snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm

blade, I re-read your 10:18 and its 13 player reviews.
    Gawd, we SUCK… ;)

• blade3colorado said, on March 27, 2014 at 1:05 pm

No, those are possible (negative) outcomes. Hopefully, that shit doesn’t come to pass. However, not too much can go wrong next season, as I think we are very thin insofar as reserves and minor league call ups. Actually, we are fucked if player X can’t adequately stand in for Scutaro . . . Not shine understand, just be decently average. Voggy sucking is no big deal, as (I think) San Dawg pointed out the other day – he’s a flippin’ number 5 starter, so anything north of Zitoland should be all right. Anyone else doesn’t perform on this squad to at least their career average, then there will be little chance to make the playoffs in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Tend to agree w/you. The pitching has to be better than last year (yes, James), but there’s no guarantee it will be, with Hudson better than Zito, but Tim, Voggy and now even Cain up in the air re: their abilities. I don’t see the Giants winning the division, unless LA somehow has major injury issues and/or the team implodes because of clubhouse chaos…

• unca_chuck said, on March 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

When Puigs fly.

Which should be soon enough.

The LA press is all over Puig and his antics, and Donnie 2x’s admonishments and retractions.

Spe3aking of press, nice article re: Derek Law.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Great piece of writing by Baggs. Thanks for the link, Chuck. He used to write more good stuff like that, before the move to CSN…

62. WilcoJoe said, on March 27, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I am too lazy to look…How many years left does Cain have in his contract? Hard to beleive this will be his tenth big league season…To answer my own question, no one on this club is untouchable but Bum is pretty damn close.

63. Irish Kevin said, on March 27, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Snarkk,your 1:27pm post, you sound like such a Doomer (ha ha) just kidding man.

64. Irish Kevin said, on March 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I still believe in building from within, so if they do blow up this team at the end of the year and are the Giants going to go the way of the A’s? or are they going to go back to the way they did business when Bonds was playing, look for veteran players on the cheap and hope they have a career year.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:14 pm

The Giants should be in the hunt every year for a division title or WC berth. Given the team’s top 5 MLB revenues and franchise value, there is absolutely no reason for this team to ever again have a dogmeat season like those in the 2005-2008 period…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Yep.

• Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm

You’re preaching to the choir…

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm

And, with such wherewithall, the Gyros should constantly have a top 10 farm system and top notch international player development network — yet, they don’t. You guys that just chimed in, I was editing my post while you were nodding your heads via bits and bytes, so if it changed on you, sorry. Feel free to disagree. I never knowingly edit my posts if somebody has already replied to the original…

65. Chipower9 said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Joe – Cain is signed through 2017 (at 20 mil per). 2018 is a club option at 21 mil (7.5 mil buyout). There are IP incentives that guarantee 2018 if he meets the threshold.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Chi!

66. SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Wilco–Cain has a player option for 2018, so he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.

The only thing I’ll add to my take on Tim never getting traded is that I get it that many of you would deal him if you were in charge of the club–for poor performance as a pitcher—and that makes sense. The guys running the Giants though, I think give heavy consideration for Tim’s ability to put asses in seats, make merch fly off shelves, and keep eyeballs on TVs. Some decent pitching on the side is a bonus at this point. And over-the-top, irrational Timmy fans (like me) are fine with him hanging around and keep holding out hope that the magic is going to come back at some point.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

And that Comcast replay last night of Timmy’s no-hitter last season contributes to that hope. :) If he can consistently find some of that groove he was in that night….

67. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I saw Rudy May give up a gave tying 3 run shot to George Brett at a freezing Yankee Stadium before Chambliss won the pennant for them back in 1976…

68. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 5:00 pm

“game”

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 486 other followers