Good Times

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 27, 2014

Yesterday was quite the day for Giants fans and Stanford Cardinal fans. Kershaw gets an MRI on his back and is scheduled to miss his next start. Then Donnie Two Trips has to hold a “clear the air” closed door team meeting about Puig. How rad is that? They are already holding “clear the air” meetings and the season hasn’t even started yet.

Then I get home to watch Cal get bounced out of the joke NIT on a buzzer beater.

And tonight I get to watch my Cardinal with the possibility of beating Dayton and making it to the Elite 8. Stanford isn’t very good this year, this run they’re on is fueled by good luck and sketchy opponents. I will say they would have destroyed the NIT and marched to an easy victory in that bullshit—if they would have even accepted the invitation.

My mind is blowing sideways at the possibility of 3 Pac 12 teams making it into the Elite 8.

________________

They open in 10 minutes….

open

About these ads

1. zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 3:47 pm

The Dodgers have a bunch of players with career histories of choking in the big moments. If the Giants can put pressure on them this season, it could get very interesting. The Dodgers had it kind of easy last year. The rest of the division collapsed in the second half.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Da Bums are talented, and they’ll probably go out and get what they need at the deadline, spending some more. They didn’t go on that 42-8 streak last season by accident. The Giants have a tough opponent in the Latrine, so we can hope there is some destructive clubhouse mayhem down there on a regular basis. Not the kind of ’72-’74 A’s internal mayhem…

• ewisco said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

snarkk my good friend, they absolutely got lucky last year. puig came in and was sensational etc. etc. you do NOT go 42-8 without some luck.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Luck is winning a ton of one run games. They got some of those, but blasted teams a lot during that streak…

2. snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 4:07 pm

OK, BF. Keep ripping Cal, and my good vibes for Pac12 success in the NCAA will get interrupted towards the Tree tonight against Dayton. ;) Stanfoo is playing good D, and getting some lucky breaks — like Kansas not being able to make shots. They better have practiced how to handle a full court press — they were awful against Kansas’ press in the final minutes the other day. I’d love to see 3 Pac12 teams in the Elite 8 — good stuff versus the ECoast bias…

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2014 at 5:42 pm

you’ll notice I didn’t predict a win tonight. They’re playing awful.
      And my grand master plan of having them get blown out by New Mexico so that Dawkins would get canned got screwed up too.
      Hey, Dayton is a great story, I’m cool with them moving on at Stanford’s expense. Stanford basketball is my least supported of the 3 biggies. I support softball more, actually.

3. snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 5:11 pm

The next contract debacle ala Pujols — now it’s Cabrera. He’ll be 41 when it ends. Assuming he’ll bat 600 ABs/year over the life of it, which is not going to happen, he’ll be making $49K per at bat. So, he’ll surely be making more than that per AB assuming he’s hurt a lot in later years, which he’s already been. And, Forbes just ranked Detroit as the 15th most valuable ball club, at $680M. BTW, Panda’s price just went up.

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I’m not doing the math on this, but 49K per at bat? How crazy is that? I love Me some Miggy, he’s literally carried several of my fantasy teams over the last couple of years, but if there is a dude who’s about to fall apart (not right this second, but over the next year or two) it’s him.
      I’ll put this lightly: he’s got a body built for electronics. Anyone with kids should get that reference. And he’s got some major mlb miles on that body.
      Worst long term signing, tied with Pujols, that I can remember. And what if Kershaw starts to have some major physical back problems?
      MRI’s are never good, second worst to “We just booked you a flight to see Dr Andrews…”

4. snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Interesting stuff out of the new Forbes MLB data for the 2013 season. Even assuming some noise in the stats, the Giants appear to be stiffing their fans for revenue compared to other teams. SF is getting 3X more dollars per fan out of its fans than the Dodgers — if that’s right, that’s insane. Giants are in the middle upper portion of payroll efficiency. Whenever I turn around, the Giants continue to prove my long running thesis that they are rolling in dough, and we shouldn’t really give a shit what they pay their players, they can afford it in spades (since the fans are happily getting stiffed at the ballpark).

Team Revenue per Fan / Wins to Player Cost Ratio

Giants $128 / 68
    Cards $87 / 118
    Boston $82 / 87
    Cubs $52 / 70
    Yanks $51 / 51
    A’s $44 / 169
    Dodgers $41 / 57
    Phills $40 / 56
    Rangers $33 / 77
    Rays $32 / 166

“Revenue per Fan” is team revenues/local metro population (SF Bay Area population divided by half due to 2-team market).
    “Wins to player cost ratio” is a measure of effectiveness of payroll spent. It is the number of wins per player payroll relative to the rest of the MLB. Playoff wins count twice as much as regular season wins. Example: a score of 120 means that the team achieved 20% more victories per dollar of payroll compared with the league average during the 2012-13 season.

• zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Those Cha-Cha Bowls ain’t cheap, but they’re very tasty. :)

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 6:07 pm

If I have nothing better to do I’d rework these stats and use the actual ballpark attendance, not some BS metro area population number for the Revs/Fan stat. Although, the Giants stat is probably pretty close given 1/2 the population of the Bay Area vs. 3.3 million attendance. I think the Dodger stat is substantially too low…

5. zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Love the photo, BF. Just looking at the ballpark photo makes me feel younger. That’s one of the reasons we love baseball. It makes us feel younger.

• Flavor said, on March 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Making me feel younger and remembering what it felt like to be young are two different things to me. But I’m with you: smelling grass with the sun warming me, listening to bat crack ball, washing down a dog with luke warm beer… I think it’s all about emerging from the darkness of Winter. And we have the lamest, weakest Winters ever, but it’s all relative.
      No one ever says, “Winter is my favorite season” for good reason…….

• Irish Kevin said, on March 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

I have smoe inlaws that absolutely love the winter, they have there windows open, they hate the heat of the central valley. they have there AC on so low that it feels like a refridgerator when you walk in. Now me on the other had I love, love, love summer time.

6. salty said, on March 27, 2014 at 7:09 pm

PENCE in the 2 hole. Why not? I’m ready for the show to begin!
    Hope to see some Law. This kid sounds like he’s got the right stuff.

7. willedav said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm

It would not surprise me one iota if multiple Dodgers imploded. Yes they had an awesome run, fueled by Puig who went out of this world hot and Hanley once he returned to LU and hit .400 with pop, ending the season at .293 with 100 rbis despite missing all that time.
    Puig, obviously is a major head case. He implodes not if , but when.
    Uribe at 3b and Hanley at SS are unlikely to reprise last year numbers. 2b is a total crapshoot btw two replacement level players not better than Arias.
    OF is manned by oft injured Crawford, platoon worthy Ethier, and the Cuban misled crisis.
    Pitching at top end is excellent, however…Kershaw is not currently active, and Cranky has a history of getting antsy and unnerved after spending more than one season with any team. The back end is nothing special. and couple guys in the pen Wilson and Perez are major head cases.

Could be 2012 redux. Remember how easy it was supposed to be for them after Melk was exposed?
    When the Dodgers win their next Series, they will still be 1 behind SF for the last 25 years…if not more.

8. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm

They should have a statistic for stupidest statistics.

9. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I wonder if Panda would take Pence’s deal today.
    I wonder if Pence would take Pence’s deal today.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 9:25 pm

No he wouldn’t.
      No he wouldn’t.

10. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Can you believe it’s year 15 at the new ballpark?
    Baseball makes me feel ancient.

11. willedav said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I don’t care about either Stanford or Cal, I just enjoy watching b-ball in the conference except for SC. Saw a lot of good games this year, very competitive from top 6.
    Dawkins is not the problem and he ain’t going anywhere. Yes he needs to recruit more talent to get to the top, but they whipped UCLA, beat Oregon on the road, beat Cal at Haas for second year in a row, and beat ASU twice. Plus they did not lose to SC ever or Utah at home like Cal did. They have good recruiting class coming in and get Randle and Nastic (I think) back. I’m sick of people thinking a better coach is going to come in and replace Dawkins and all of a sudden Stanford will win the conference and go deep in tourney. Ridiculous. And forget Tommy Amaker, who should stay at Harvard where he belongs.
    Cal at least got nice last game from Bird, who had a troubled year, and can say goodbye to doofus Solomon. Monty has athletes coming in, and if he can get them to play together, should have a fun team to watch next year. Actually I always enjoy his O sets and OB plays. But this year Dawkins did more with less and outcoached him.
    AZ and UCLA are very tough and get top recruits. Colo gets most everyone back and ASU might too. The conference is very strong and fun to watch, and full of good coaches like altman sendek romar and Krystkowiak at Utah.

12. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Craig Sager looks like he should be hanging from a clothesline.
    That is definitely Andrew Dice Clay as the voice of the hamster in the Sprint commercial.

13. DJLoo said, on March 27, 2014 at 8:22 pm

What the fuck did UCLA do with their uniforms? They’re fuckin’ hideous looking.

14. James said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Just finished watching “Shack Out on 101,” which I hadn’t seen a in a while. Lee Marvin in his greatest role as Slob, the short order cook: “He’s got an 8 cylinder body, and a 2 cylinder mind.” Puig . . . .

If Kershaw goes down, the Dodgers are significantly weakened. But the prospect that their offense won’t be as good as last year’s — which I’ll again remind everyone was statistically no better than the Giants’ — seems unlikely.

15. SanDawg said, on March 27, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Tough loss for the Aztecs. Hard to keep a team with that much talent down for 40 minutes.

Found a good interview with Rudy May from earlier this year if anyone is interested (Loo maybe?) Odd, but no mention in the interview of Joe Strain taking him deep.

• willedav said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:24 am

Yeah, they did. They did good job attacking AZ off the dribble and getting them in foul trouble. They lose Thames and Davis, I think and get Polee back, who played for LA powerhouse Westchester. Bad news for Pac 12 is U of A gets most of theirs back too, unless couple of them leave early.
      Kind of sad to see LA HS teams so dominant with state playoffs coming up this weekend. Guy in the Chron predicts Mater Dei and the rest of SoCal win 4 of 5 boys and 3 of 5 girls titles.

16. zumiee said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I thought the Giants did better tonight than the 4-0 score will look in the boxscore. Sandoval hit a 415-foot fly-out to rightcenterfield that would have been a 3-run HR in other ballparks. And Hudson had good stuff. Reddick beat a pretty good pitch for a 2-run HR. Hudson’s stuff had a lot of movement.

• snarkk said, on March 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Apparently Morse’s leftfield defense had a lot of movement, too…

17. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 6:41 am

The Rockies owner, Dick Monfort made his annual “I have drank the purple Kool Aid and see the Rockies winning 90 games” prediction. Hilarious. Read the 25 or so comments and you will know exactly what the fans think of this idiot’s prediction . . .

18. willedav said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:37 am

Didn’t see much of game last night but I did see Reddick’s bomb, which was crushed. Had to look it up, but Giants did have that Otero guy and put him on waivers a year ago March, where he was picked up by Yanks and let go again a day later and grabbed by Oakland. He did pretty well for them last year and pitched 5 shutout innings in playoffs; appears SF wiffed on this guy.
    I guess only drama remaining is how pen gets sorted out and whether Colvin sticks. Read in Pav’s blog that despite them being up here neither Hembree nor Runzler are gonna stick according to Bochy. Anyone see Gutierrez inning? Pence played with the guy and has spoken highly of him and of course Kruk raved about his 94 heat, electric stuff, yada yada.
    Hope they get these next two games in, rainy weekend is predicted here. Good for us, not so for baseball.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:40 am

If I remember right Otero was a numbers casualty.

19. Chipower9 said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:31 am

I missed most of the game (watching the NCAA). Went 3-4. Dayton did me in against the Cardinal. I’ve got Michigan, M. State, I State, and Louisville in tonight’s games.

I don’t think Colvin makes it. I think Hicks gets that final utlity spot. And I think Law gets the final bullpen spot. (I’ll probably be wrong on all of these…insert gay-assed smiley face here…)

20. willedav said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:34 am

Saw something funny in SF Chron yesterday, about Ben Sidran making couple local appearances to promote a show he does about Jewish influence on American popular music. I guess he has done a book about this and goes into contributions of Gershwins, Richard Rodgers, Irving Berlin, Carole King and songwriting team of Leiber and Stoller.
    But what got me is the article starts off with Sidran making a comment about Dylan and quoting the famous first line of “Highway 61″
    “Ah God said to Abraham,
    ‘Kill me a son’
    Abe says ‘Man you must be puttin me on’ “.

I loved that song and listened to it this morning on google where you can find a guy does a neat animation cartoon video that plays along with the words while the full tune jams. Mike bloomfield, Al Kooper, someone on whistle, great long ending, etc.
    Fantastic LP of same name from ’65, Ballad of Thin Man, Takes a Lot to Laugh, et al.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 9:48 am

Good stuff. Did you see “Inside Llewyn Davis”? Liked it but did not know what to make of it [of course, Coen brothers]: either that success involves luck or that Dylan was more shrewd than all the rest. BTW, I loved Dylan’s “Chronicles” bio.

• stixwiz said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Dylan was born in Duluth, probably within yards of Highway 61. It has long struck me that the “God said to Abraham, kill me a son” line was referent to his own Bris. Zimmerman in ’65 was the kinda guy who would have questioned even that foundational aspect of Jewish culture. Also on the Highway 61 album appears what i consider to be the greatest single English language poem of the 20th Century, “Desolation Row”. It may have been a bit easier for me to understand than for most folks as i spent that summer of ’65 hanging out in the Village and thus was able to catch many of the nuances which slip past most listeners without that cultural baggage. At a later date the late, great Lou Rawls captured something of the same essence of the NYC scene of that era which, in some senses, was a precursor to SF’s Summer of Love in his “Walk on the Wild Side”.

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:37 am

Lou Reed. . . Loiu Rawls was OK, but I preferred Marvin Gaye.

21. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 9:24 am

“Anyone see Gutierrez inning?”

His stuff looked great, but I think he had a couple of baserunners. Might have walked a guy.
    I remember one pitch in particular, he threw a 95 MPH fastball on the outside corner to strike a guy out. Krukow said “That was an unhittable pitch.”

22. pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 9:45 am

We need sunshine, temps in the 60s, or higher, and lovely ladies in cut-off jeans to prevent the psych wards from filling up with men, old men.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 11:28 am

Instead, ask blade for a recommended travel itinerary… ;)

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Two words – HIS Salon. You’ll have to pry the reason out of Paulinasia though, as I am not talking here about it (too risque and rated X). ;-)

23. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Perhaps it doesn’t mean squat, but I like the fact the Giants will play their first week (7 games) on the road against their two main divisional rivals – Snakes and Bums. In my opinion, an early opportunity to make a statement . . . or, not.

• stixwiz said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:18 am

Yes, there is that possibility of a jackrabbit start vs the main Division rivals. Snakes are a mess due to a long string of bad decisions by their front office. The LaBumbos, though, i see as imploding a bit later in the season. However, if Opie is not there early on, it could be the classic opportunity to strike while the iron is hot.

SF too has some things to sort out~ like getting Belt of his queasy stomach induced funk and whether or not #55 has successfully reinvented himself. Then there’s the matter of Morse’s defense. I still see Perez as the more or less regular in LF come the Break or thereabouts. There is much to admire about the guy. What i like best is that it is a rare game in which he does not get a hit. Thus it’s likely he’ll maintain a steady B.A. and that, coupled with his speed and defensive wizardry, is why i see him ultimately getting steady work.

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:59 am

Stix, you are spot on about Perez. I like him too (my nick for him last season was Woo Hoo in honor of Ferret, our lone resident female flapper that rarely visits anymore . . . sigh).

Anywho, I know Colvin and he will have 1-3 weeks of playing out of his mind and then do a face plant for the rest of the season. Meh. In short, I hope they select Perez, who given an opportunity, will undoubtedly shine in my opinion.

• Chipower9 said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:40 am

Agree…it is like “let’s see what ya got” (or not).

24. Chipower9 said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:46 am

I had really thought Law all but had the last bullpen spot locked-up, but the more I read, I can see where they would go with Gutierrez. I did not see his inning, but I know he threw quite a few pitches in the inning (22 or 23…something like that).

Here is an article in which the case is made that Gutierrez should get that final spot (due to his experience, and Law’s lack of it at the MLB level).

25. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I differ on Perez, I guess. If Morse doesn’t work out, and the Giants are back to Perez and a cast of thousands in leftfield, then I’m reckoning we’ll be sticking a fork in the 2014 season. Unless Sabean is more aggressive this season, which he might be. He can’t possibly be as passive as he was last season.

26. pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Am I uber-doomer to fear that Perez equals Darren Ford (who, I believe, is back in the organization)?

• salty said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Probably more Rajai Davis.

27. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hopefully Morse works out. Maybe he won’t be our Huff-2010, but something in that general direction would be good.
    He misplayed a couple of balls last night, but playing outfield at AT&T takes a little getting used to. If he’s still flubbing the outfield in a few weeks, then that’s a whole other kettle of fish.
    Nice camera shot of Morse giving one of his bats to a young fan at the end of the game. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a major leaguer do that, other than when they’re trading a bat for one they threw in the stands on their swing follow-through.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Kettle of Fish. Bar next door to the Gaslight. In the Village. Ramblin’ Jack Elliott came in there after his concert. Great jukebox. Stix was probably standing next to me.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I saw Ramblin’ Jack in concert at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in SF several years ago.
        It doesn’t take long to see how Ramblin’ Jack got his nickname! :)

Btw- Tom Russell has a brilliant, almost-indescribable album called “Hotwalker,” a kind of combined spoken monologue, acting out of characters, and old and original songs, that takes the listener on a journey of American music and lyrical poetry. Part of the album is about that scene in NY in the early ’60s.
        I have to admit I missed the Coen Bros. film at the theaters and look forward to catching it on video.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Ramblin’ Jack is still ramblin’?! Wow. Dylan all but admits he took is nasal elongated twang from him.

28. salty said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Law having options a significant factor.

Machi is 32 and has kicked around the minors all but last yr. Terrific Sept after they were eliminated but less accomplished than JC. I’d think after a rough spring, he’s the one gone if he struggles early.

29. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Zum, I do want Morse to work out, but if he doesn’t or he is injured – I would like the kid, Perez to get a shot at the job. I am a big Morse fan and I am betting he does a good job, with an outstanding comeback year. I just want Perez to get consideration as a reserve, as I have seen Colvin (he played in Denver) and quite frankly, he sucks. However, I suspect that Bochy may lean towards Colvin because he was injured during spring training and rationalize that Perez needs at bats, i.e., sealing his fate to the minors.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Yeah, I didn’t have to be that hard on Perez. He had a terrific ST. He’s earned a chance if Morse fizzles.

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I read that Grady Sizemore will be the Red Sox center fielder. I am not certain, but I think Bozo, a couple of other Flappers, and I advocated signing him for the 1 million he was asking. I wonder who will have the better year, Sizemore or Morse? This is another reason why I wish Sabean would speed dial the Mariners for Dustin Ackley. They want to trade him and we need a 2nd baseman. Go figure . . .

30. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Tonight’s game is on the A’s Comcast channel, with their less-than-awesome broadcasters, who have a way of sounding smug about their team that hasn’t been to the World Series in 25 years.

• salty said, on March 28, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Torture. I’ll definitely be muting.

31. James said, on March 28, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’ve avoided any televised spring training baseball this year. The first camera shot from CF I see this year will be when it counts.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm

me likewise

• WilcoJoe said, on March 28, 2014 at 2:50 pm

That’s why I never went to a Bay Bridge Series game, but never missed an Opening Day for nearly ten years…I didn’t want to spoil that first moment when you opened those doors (remember those on the lower level at the ‘Stick) that led to a sea of stairs, which ended on a field of virgin baseball grass. I can still remember that cool wind that would whip your face as soon as those doors swung open…You actually couldn’t see much of the field, as the overhang obstructed your view, so you had to scurry down those steps to fully take in the view…Those were some of the best moments of my childhood.

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Cool wind, or 60 mph gale-force wind?

32. snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Interesting NYT article on bias and mistakes found in MLB umpires’ balls/strikes calls…

33. snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I saw the highlights/lowlights of Morse’s OF plays last night. I’m hoping the reports of him being a butcher in the OF are overblown. But, based on last night’s start, he sure has the makings of leaving pork chops, ground chuck, and butcher’s twine strewn all over LF this season…

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I actually didn’t think it was all that bad. The first one was as much a communication issue as anything. He might let the shortstop have that one next time. And the second one, he was trying to make a great play to save a run from scoring in a 1-0 game. Sure it was an ill-advised attempt, and hopefully he just plays it safer next time. I’ve come to believe that one of the biggest keys to good baseball defense is to not try to make plays that aren’t there. Don’t go fishing where there are no fish. Morse needs to realize we don’t need him to make great plays. Just make the routine plays solidly. But if he can’t make that realization, then that’s on him.
      Last year, the Giants had a bunch of defensive breakdowns when guys tried to make plays that had no chance.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:12 pm

And besides windy nights, there are more challenges for Morse ahead. Leftfield during the daytime, of course, is a BRUTAL sun-field.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:14 pm

He played that double down the LF line bouncing off the wall like it was a hand grenade with the pin out. Yeah, his first game at ATT. He’s bound to get better, but first impression is he looks like Pat Burrell on a bad night out there…

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about that one.
        Well, leftfield is usually an “offense” position, so Morse needs to produce a lot of that. If not, he’s not going to make up for it with his defense, certainly.

34. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:15 pm

“I’ve avoided any televised spring training baseball this year.”

I’ve watched TONS of ST baseball on TV. To each their own. :)

35. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:26 pm

It kind of amuses me when Krukow says: “All you young players watching, this is what happens when….(fill in the blank)”
    Krukow may not fully realize the generational change. When WE were kids we watched baseball on TV. Today’s kids are playing video games, and usually not baseball ones. I don’t believe a whole lot of kids are watching baseball on TV these days.

• DJLoo said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm

They’re listening on their transistor radios…

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, instead Kruk should say, “All you old farts that got cut on your high school team, this is what happens when . . . “

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:46 pm

You and Loo made me laugh outloud. Funny stuff.

36. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Actually, Morse is not a “butcher” in the field. He catches most everything that is hit his way (as he makes very few errors). However, he has little or no range and gets into trouble when he attempts to make plays he has no chance to make, e.g., the one he dived for.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I don’t mind the dive error, he’ll probably not do that too much again. The way he played the double caroming off the LF line and wall was more telling to me. Looked scared S-less and totally awkward doing a routine play, allowing the runner to score easily from first. A good defensive OFer would likely have held the runner to third…

37. blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

By the by, it’s good to see Twin posting regularly on the Steward/Pavlovic blog at the Mercury. It wasn’t said enough here, but Twin sees shit, that most other observers miss . . . Or, as Don Rumsfeld said, “There are known unknowns . . . Umm, you all know what I mean. :-)

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:12 pm

There’s a guy on that blog who calls himself “The Oracle”. Appears not to be our Oracle…

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Nope. Twin is going by his name, Michael Scott.

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:38 pm

More important perhaps – he is the only one who knows what the fuck he is talking about at this blog (umm, or at least thinks he does . . . :-) ).

38. zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Proving that ballpark food can never get insane enough, the Tampa Bay Rays are offering this item this year:
    “a 4-pound “Fan vs. Food” burger with a pound of fries.” A person could literally gain 5 pounds eating a ballpark dinner.

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 3:58 pm

And Jack Lalanne wept.

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm

And Happy barked . . .

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Stay . . . . . good dog . . .

Get your husband to try it . . .

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Woh, Jack worked a racy little joke in there, and got it past the 1950s censors.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Dang, Jack had some guns on him…

39. snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Another TJ victim.
    Dbacks set up guy David Hernandez.

Maybe we’re lucky Affeldt only has an MCL strain — which we’ve not been told how he did it, BTW…

40. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:38 pm

In football news, Chris Culliver was arrested for felony hit and run on a bicyclist, and possession of an illegal weapon. Brass knuckles. Really? Brass knuckles? What is this, Goodfellas?

What a dumbshit.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hell, bring on DeSean then. He can join Aldon and Culliver to set up a Three Stooges redux…

• DJLoo said, on March 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I don’t leave home without ‘em…

41. snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 4:42 pm

NL West preview by Grantland…

• zumiee said, on March 28, 2014 at 5:00 pm

That “video clip” of Sandoval is just…..wrong. :)

42. DJLoo said, on March 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I have a hunch that we’re going to get a solid contribution from Nick Noonan this season.
    Seems like the forgotten man…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Is he still on the club?

• DJLoo said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

No, but I’m sure he’ll be back.

• Flavor said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:57 pm

he’s worthless.

43. DJLoo said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I also think Angel Villalona makes his big league debut this year. (Unless he already did and I forgot about it)

• Flavor said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm

you’re drunk.

• snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Villalona will probably get cut off the 40 man real soon, so if he avoids jails and makes the bigs this year, it’ll probably be with somebody like the Mariners…

44. WilcoJoe said, on March 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Was flipping thru the channels and came across The Enforcer…Dirty Harry wearing a Giants cap might be the epitome of badass.

• unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Wasn’t he Dick Dorkman or something?

45. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Shit, Timmy takes a line drive off his knee?

46. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Seeing that video and it confirms that Pablo did lose a shitload of weight.

47. unca_chuck said, on March 28, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Knee contusion for Timmy, No break.

• blade3colorado said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Thank God for small miracles . . . I drafted him in a $600 pro fantasy league (albeit, his stock has gone down so much, that I got him in the 20th round. :-) ).

48. snarkk said, on March 28, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I didn’t see any of the 4 NCAA games tonight. Must have been good stuff. 2 games decided by 5 points, the other 2 games by 2 points. I’ve concluded the vast majority of the rankings and seedings and rpi bullshit mean nothing in college basketball. The talent is so spread around, just about anybody can make the sweet sixteen if they get hot and the matchups are right (example, Stanford ;) )….

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers