A’s Dominate

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 29, 2014

The Giants are really wielding some big wood right now, eh? One run in 2 games? Pav at the Merc had a great line: “the hardest hit the Giants have had (in this series) was off Lincecum’s knee.”

Luckily, we have a high tolerance for putrid, impotent hitting (having put up with it all last season).

One of the new not-so-subtleties that we will be treated to at ATT this season is the “Yahooooo!” noise every time a Giants hitter blasts a home run. Who decided that this was a good idea?

I just wanna get this season started already……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 7:28 am

Yeah, I am ready for the season to start. I wasn’t certain about playing fantasy baseball this year, as I was fairly exhausted from my South East Asia trip; coupled with the flu I caught off of some passenger on one of the planes I took Wednesday . . . Grrrrr. However, I ended up joining 2 leagues (one a pro pay league and a “fun” league at ESPN), so I have plenty of incentive to get locked in on the players and games.

“Yahoo,” as in Yahoo, the software company? I am beginning to hate that company, e.g., their email, fantasy league, and messenger applications suck, so if they are involved with the Giants, this is not good news in my opinion.

2. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 7:30 am

I am happy for Mike Trout, who just signed a $144 million 5 year contract with the Angels. He is still underpaid. Probably the only player I can say that about, who is rocking a $100 million dollar plus contract. Ha.

• wswin said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

Pretty sure that’s a 6 year deal…

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 10:09 am

Yes, you’re right wswin.

3. Bozo said, on March 29, 2014 at 7:57 am

Monday is right around the corner Flav. Bring it!

Blade, the Angels almost look smart in locking up the Speckled one, don’t they?

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:18 am

Yes John, especially after the idiotic Hamilton and Pujols contracts.

4. willedav said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:05 am

Went back and forth btw Giants and Mich St game, mostly because of A’s pitching and their god awful announcers. These two eejits spent most of the night talking about dang near anything besides what was actually happening on the field. I realize it’s TV and I can tell it’s a ground ball to 2b, but wtf is so important to spend all that time listening to the A’s bench coach?
    But, if the A’s get that kind of pitching out of guys like Kazmir and Chavez they will romp. They might not score as many runs as last year and losing Balfour I think will hurt, but they seem to stockpile pitching. Extra special because most of it is young and controllable.

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:19 am

Kazmir is going to be a stud in that division and that park.

5. Bozo said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:26 am

Although Opening Days are usually Season ticket holders, Politicos and the Swells, this should still be entertaining.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:48 am

Must be an April Fools promotion.

6. willedav said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:27 am

While A’s young pitching is most enviable, Beane is another wheeler dealer who has had some finds and some other moves that didn’t work out. His farm system hasn’t brought up much talent among position players; Taylor kid is still in minors and he traded away highly regarded Choice for Gentry. So he makes deals to acquire guys like Lowrie Reddick Crisp (the good) and also Chris Young Seth Smith (ordinary).

For all their success, Cards have had to make deals to shore up holes their farm system hasn’t been able to fill. Giants got Theriot because STL brought in Furcal couple years ago to play SS. They dumped off Rasmus to AL because he and LaRussa didn’t see eye to eye. They dumped off world series hero Freese who slumped last year for Bourjos and brought in Mark Ellis as back up plan for IF depth in case prospects can’t cut it.

All I’m saying is you never know if prospects are really gonna cut it, no matter how highly rated background they come into mlb with. And at that point GM has to make something happen to compete…like say Hunter Pence or Marco Scutaro 2012.

7. WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 8:52 am

Say what you want about the A’s but no GM has done more with less than Billy Beane…Maybe in the history of professional sports…I still have no clue why he hasn’t left for “greener” pastures.

8. willedav said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

I think Giants would agree with last sentence in flav’s lead in. Let’s get back to AZ and rake

9. snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:25 am

Giants with one run in two games v. A’s. Just think if Bonds had consulted on hitting in Scottsdale for just 3 days instead of a week…

10. zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:28 am

Sorry to hear that the Giants are going to do that “Yahoo” thing for a little extra money. There was something pure and cool about just the foghorn and water-spray alone. (Not that it happens all that often anyway.)
    Yahoo totally sucks, IMO. The new CEO totally destroyed Yahoo Groups. She felt they weren’t profitable enough, so she made a bunch of horrible changes to it, and….completely destroyed them. Most of the groups are practically dead now. I’m sure the advertisers are thrilled with Yahoo Groups now.
    I’m the “owner” of a bookclub Yahoo Group that went from 200 posts a month to about 5 or less. I met my wife because of a music Yahoo Group. Yahoo Groups were a cool unique thing, and now they’re basically ruined. That’s too bad.
    I know what the CEO would say- Yahoo Groups are free, so I have no right to complain, blah, blah, blah.
    Whatever. The traffic is what brought in advertisers for them, though. Yahoo won’t keep as many advertisers without the traffic.
    But Yahoo doesn’t care. They’re just trying to compete with Facebook, and they see Yahoo Groups as kind of an antiquated old thing, so they made a bunch of changes to try to make Yahoo Groups more like Facebook. Good look competing with Facebook, Yahoo. It ain’t gonna happen. All Yahoo did was drive more people away to Facebook. Brilliant.

• zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:36 am

One more thing. :) I can barely function in my own Yahoo Group with my lap-top. The big changes were to make everything more user-friendly for cellphones. When even LAPTOPS are being treated as antiquated hardware, then change needs to slow down a little.

11. zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

As for why Beane stays in Oakland…..I obviously have no idea, although the “Money Ball” film put forth family reasons, which may or may not have just been a plot contrivance.
    Maybe he just likes being thought of as a genius, without actually having to prove his genius with a team that spends more money. If he failed with a richer team, he would lose his “genius” aura.
    He sure could make a lot more money with a different team, though.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:42 am

He’s got a small ownership % of the A’s, don’t know how much…

12. zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:46 am

The A’s are forever cursed by the baseball gods for bringing “dot racing” into the world.

13. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 10:34 am

The YAhoo thing is totally played out in my opinion. That’s like 20 years old right?
    The Giants figure they’re impervious to putting out anything related to a bad fan experience and maybe they’re correct.
    But I just can’t imagine how hearing “yahoo!” after a giant crosses the plate will be anything other than moment disrupting.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Agreed…I thought they quite doing that stupid yahoo yodel thing before the turn of the century.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2014 at 11:10 am

The sports show on csn is now yahoo sports or something like that. Is yahoo part owner of csnbayarea area too or is that just more cross promotion?

I only caught a part of the game last night. The announcers were in disbelief at the Giants inability to see more than a few pitches per AB. The comment was something like ” wow, these are some short at bats”. I got a chuckle out of that.

15. SanDawg said, on March 29, 2014 at 12:24 pm

The Yahoo home run deal sounds lamer than lame. I throw it in the same pot as the giant Coke bottle and putting lights on the Bay Bridge. Let Vegas do tacky shit like that, not San Francisco.

• Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 1:45 pm

lol, I figured you’d hate it. True story, when I heard about it the first thought I had was that this was not gonna go over well with San Dawg. :)

16. Bozo said, on March 29, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Maybe the Yahoo thing will go down as fast as ol’ Rusty. I wonder if Rusty is still in the RF wall just rusting away?

17. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

exited to see the game got cancelled today. Fuck slip sliding around trying not to get hurt. Oakland toilets backed up again, too.

18. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 3m
    Giants have till noon Sunday to set it, but Hicks, Adrianza, Petit, Huff, Gutierrez, Machi, Perez all made it. Law, Colvin did not.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm

That bullpen makes me very nervous.

19. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:53 pm

and it sounds like Crawford is now gonna be in a platoon role at SS with Arias playing SS and Hicks at 2nd vs lefties. Interesting.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:56 pm

So, when/where is Adrianza going to play? They’re not carrying him because of his bat…

20. snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 2:59 pm

As I predicted, Kiesch has just been DFA’d, not that it was too unpredictable. They need 40 man room, he’s been atrocious, and at 27, there’s no surprises left. Law has been re-assigned to Richmond, not Fresno…

• Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 3:49 pm

shot you an email, check it out.

21. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2014 at 3:30 pm

All aboard Flight 77-85…

22. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Adrianza hit .245 with 10K’s in 49 spring at bats. He just hasn’t shown enough to warrant a spot (even on the bench). Hicks has at least shown a hint of being able to hit at this level.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Not really seeing the point of Machi over Law.

• Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm

agreed. That must be Bochy clutching on to his vet-blanket.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Law will probably be up sometime this season; good stuff w/control is hard to come by in a young guy. He’s never pitched above high A ball — Giants management likes a little more seasoning…

24. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm

not really into reading other blogs, but this entry from Belt was pretty epic.

25. Flavor said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Dodgers just put Kershaw on the Dl. Uh oh. :) :) :)

• DJLoo said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Best news I’ve heard since Koufax arthritis…

• WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Will take all the help we can get.

26. Bozo said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I figure Law will be seeing SF action before the Sept. call ups.

So to make room on the 40, I thought Villalona would be the one cut, not so, Mr. Kieschnick finds himself DFA’d. Roger out (on the waiver wire).

27. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Kieschnick is just the latest to disgrace the sacred #22 for the SF Giants. Yabu and El Presidente come to mind – there were probably others. What’s up with that 90 year old clubhouse guy that everybody makes such a big fuckin’ deal about? Just another old prick who refuses to step aside for a younger man’s benefit.

• sandy said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Someone needs to get laid.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Bingo.
      The “old prick” is more a Giant than anybody in the organization save Mays, especially and including ownership. Giants get rid of him before he wants to go, and I’m no longer a fan…

28. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Forty four so called experts at ESPN (maybe forty five . . . Not good at math today – ask wswin) and only two select the Giants as West Division champions. Jeremy Lundblad, ESPN Stats & Info and Peter Pascarelli,
    ESPN Radio, neither of whom I have ever heard of.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm

ESPN “experts” dissing the Giants — that’s a good sign…

29. zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Cool blog post from Belt; although his battles with the flu are a bit perplexing. He gets the flu a lot, it seems like, and can be wiped out for 5 days at a time.
    I haven’t had the flu in 4 years, and my daily life exposes me to other people’s sneezing and coughing. And I’m no special physical specimen. I wonder what the deal is regarding Belt and the flu. He seems pretty obsessed with avoiding it now, and, I guess, understandably so.

• WilcoJoe said, on March 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm

He sounds like a bit of a germaphobe. They are always getting sick.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Maybe he’s allergic to Spring Training. Or, spends too much time in Olive Gardens…

30. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Oakland Athletics scrambled out of the clubhouse after toilets back up again. This would never happen in Murph’s clubhouse. ;-)

• Nipper said, on March 29, 2014 at 6:47 pm

There’s nothing like lousy toilets to set the mood for the day.

31. zumiee said, on March 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Someone’s pick of 27 perfect baseball songs. I’d only heard 8 of them. Some of you may have heard more of them:

32. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Just read that link to Belt’s blog. Dude is pretty funny.

33. Macdog said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I thought I had paying some attention to spring training, but who the hell is Juan Gutierrez?

• Macdog said, on March 29, 2014 at 9:25 pm

*been paying*

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2014 at 10:03 pm

One of your 2014 San Francisco Giants… ;)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers