Almost. Here.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 30, 2014

I have something exciting and brand new to tell you all:

The Dodgers are playing a regular season baseball game today….

I’m half thinking that we could be 18 games out of first place before we play our first game. Whose idea was it to have one baseball team play 3 games before 27 teams have played one?

And they’re playing the Padres?  Because as we all know, Padre fans span the globe. Just from a national ratings perspective, this game makes no sense. ESPN has programmed me to expect Yankee/Red Sox games over and over until time stops.

If I told you that Madison Bumgarner went on the DL yesterday and Bochy had to hold a closed door team meeting to “clear the air” about Brandon Belt’s affect and impact on team chemistry, how bummed would you be?

I’d be “Dodger bummed.”

lqtm

_________________

and for the pm crowd….

hahahahaha

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:42 am

And last year it was the World Lame Idea Baseball contest or whatever it was called.
    I liked that old tradition of the oldest team in baseball (the Reds) getting the first Opening Day. I know, TV revenue and other owners twisted Bud’s arm to forget about the Reds and tradition.
    Oh well, Happy New Year everybody.

2. willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 9:25 am

Maybe there is something to Jenkins’ continuing rants about folly of pitch counts and babying today’s athletes with all the pitchers, many of whom very successful top flight guys, on the DL. Braves put Beachy and Venters on the 60 day DL, so these guys are not gonna be around for a while.
    I love *transactions* page in sports. Texas sent IF Kensuke Tanaka to round rock of the PCL. Is this the same guy played here, in LF last year? The A’s sent their guy from J-league, Hiro Nakajima back to Sacto for second year in a row, and they did DFA OF Michael Taylor, even with Gentry on the DL. Wonder if this guy can play?

In further bad news for Pac 12: U of A gets entire starting LU back and only loses the back up Mayes. Plus they are getting 6-7 recruit Stanley Johnson, best player on (mythical) top rated team in nation from Mater Dei of Santa Ana in SoCal. He has started all 4 years for them and they have won State all 4…yesterday he got 25 and 8 assists as they beat Bishop O’Dowd for Open (highest level) championship. Last year his team beat his future teammate (should he stick around) Aaron Gordon’s HS team at that level.
    Funny but every time I saw Wisconsin they won and they had multiple guys who could score, including 4 white guys; they blasted Baylor to get to 8. Not surprised they edged into Final 4, and their D held UA to poor shooting among perimeter players. Gordon the freshman had game high 18 boards.

3. Bozo said, on March 30, 2014 at 9:26 am

According to Shea, Bochy says he’ll platoon Crawford and Arias at shortstop. I’m not a fan of Arias at short, I’d prefer to give Adrianza a few reps and leave Craw as the starter. Arias will get enough at bats Playing second and the occasional start at third.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

Twin always said he’d be better as a platoon player. I guess Boch agrees with him

4. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 10:16 am

New post on my blog . . . sort of a bummer. Sorry.

5. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 11:37 am

I don’t get the Pads/Doghairs opener, either. The Cincy opener was traditional, and I love tradition. Tradition and history is what has always been special about baseball, and what separates it from the other sports. Slowly, that is peeling away from the game. This opener tonight is probably a scheduling thing, so it’s ultimately TV that has to be driving it. Now, with 10-year player deals worth $300 million, and 15-year cable deals worth $8 billion, it’s ALL about the Benjamins…

6. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Rumblings: Mike Montgomery (age 67) may retire from Cal. He’s got a pretty good recruiting class entering for the fall, I wonder what’s going on. I talked to him for a few minutes a few years back at a Cal wine party for the basketball program — he’s a good dude, actually had a conversation with me, didn’t blow me off. If he retires, I shudder at Barbour having the reins of the search deal — she’s on thin ice, may be hard to get a good coach with the AD seat pretty warm. No way his kid should become HC.

• ewisco said, on March 30, 2014 at 12:57 pm

maybe they could continue with tradition and get johnny dawkins?

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Too expensive now after a Sweet 16… :)

7. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Catching- in good hands, and 3 deep counting Susac
    1st Base- Belt was our best hitter by the end of 2013, and he has 23 back ups
    2nd Base- If Marco doesn’t return- totally healthy-they should find a new one
    SS- need to see if Ehire can hit up here- he should be platooned with Crawford
    3B- top 5 MVP candidate, GG contender. OK, I’m biased.
    RF- 25-90 , all out all the time. Nate was a centerpiece of that deal .Worked for me
    CF- Not a person on Earth has any clue what we’ll get. If it’s close to 2012, it’ll be A-OK.
    LF- no Morse bashing on the Sabbath.He’s an engaging guy with one stop left before part-time DH duty. He has to be extremely motivated now. If he stays healthy, maybe has another 2011 in him.
    Bench-the OF and catcher rate well. Infield- Arias starting is not a good thing.
    Starting 5- MadBum should now be even money for CY
    Cain-his failures to stop the bleeding are troublesome , but we gotta have faith- he HAS to have a good year
    Hudson- if he remains the 3, it will not be a good thing
    Timmy- here’s the deal- he’s trying to make the transformation to finesse pitcher. Getting halfway there would be disaster. Keep the ball just off the plate, and he wins 15.
    Vogey, Petit, Huff, Escobar- get 12 wins out the group and the Lord must have intervened
    Pen- this one is 12 deep between here and Richmond-Bochy heaven.
    Outlook- Dodgers are having their annual crises before the season even starts. It’s now a three team shoot out. Too close to call, which means I call it our way. 93-69, win the West.
    Keys- second base, Belt, the Horse and the Freak.

I’ll be in the Mud Room and unavailable for rebuttals ;- ) We are fine except for my dear Zeke. His hips are failing but the vet is helping me monitor and assures me that with his meds he still is relatively pain free and has a good quality of life. As much as a 90 pound dog can, he sleeps on my lap.
    Hello to you all.

• blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Great post Mike. Good thoughts sent your way and especially, for Zeke.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I like most of your stuff. If Adrianza doesn’t play a lot at 2b, I don’t understand why he’s on the 25. As far as I’m concerned, Scutaro is no longer in the picture until further notice. Cain IS troubling. The Voggy #5 spot — your 12 win max will be a godsend. I’ll go with 8 or 9, and be happy about it should it happen. Yes, the Pen should be a strength. No starters ready in the minors to speak of, but plenty of Pen arms down there ready to load or re-load — which is good because this rotation looks rocky, and could tire the Pen early on…

8. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’m going with this for the season, assuming Kershaw is not out for a substantial period of time with this shoulder thing. IMO the Giants rotation is dubious, and probably will not end up the way it starts. I expect Voggy to be gone before the trade deadline, so somebody(ies) will have to pick up the slack. Timmy is still a work in progress towards a strike thrower, and experimenting with pitching to contact without throwing too many gopher balls. Needs better defense behind him than last season, and fewer pitches/ game to win 12. Cain looks iffy, I’m scared of arm trouble. Bum is nails, should win 18-20 if he gets some runs; and Hudson looks good enough to win 12-14 with run support and a good grounder-fielding D behind him. Last year’s staff 4.00 ERA may come down to 3.7, if we’re lucky. Gotta get the run total up from 629 to 700, which looks doable. Panda has a very good season with over 20 dingers, hits around .300. Pen depth in the minors looks good, probably will be used. SF gets a WC berth, barely. AZ and Pads at 3 and 4, or vice versa, with blade’s Rocks pulling up the rear again — does Tulo play a full season without some signifcant injury? I’d say AZ has a shot to be a surprise to tangle with SF for the WC, with their increased offense, and Arroyo, if healthy, should help…

1. Dodgers (92-70)
    2. Giants (87-75)
    3. AZ
    4. Pads
    5. Rocks

9. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Humorous, scathing, and rather long essay, by Ostler today in the SF Chronicle, using the sewage problems as a metaphor for the A’s problems in general. Here’s the best part of the essay, IMO:
    “In the A’s clubhouse, in the coaches’ dressing room, a toilet and a shower drain burbled threateningly.
    “This is not like The Big One,” A’s clubhouse manager Steve Vucinich assured me, referring to the major meltdown last year, when colorful raw sewage shot out of that same toilet and shower, like Old Faithful.
    Why was that incident headline stuff? The motto of my business: If it spews, it’s news.
    Thank goodness this incident wasn’t The Big One. It registered a mere 1.3 on the Sphincter Scale.
    Two engineers and two janitors were called to the scene of the grime.
    “Is it under control?” I asked Vucinich.
    “We’re hoping to get it under control,” he said soothingly.
    So here comes a brand new A’s season with the SOS – same old stuff.
    Speaking of old, let’s switch gears slightly and wish a happy fifth anniversary to Major League Baseball’s special committee convened by Commissioner Bud Selig to study the A’s proposed move to San Jose. Selig announced his committee March 30 of 2009.
    Happy fifth, committee, wherever you are!
    The fifth-anniversary gift is “wood,” appropriate since the committee members seemingly spent the last five years sitting on a bench. Grab some pine, Meat!
    Selig, like a batter fouling off 500 pitches in a row, continues to obfuscate on what his committee has found or recommended, and on the A’s fate.
    “It’s a very complicated situation,” Selig has said. “You have one team that wants to move (the A’s) and the other (the Giants) doesn’t want them to move.”
    Gosh, if only MLB had a commissioner paid $22 million per year to find resolution to a complicated situation like that. They do? It’s Bud Selig? Oh.”

10. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I read today that if the Dodgers win tonight, they’ll be the first team in MLB history to win 3 games before more than half of the other teams have even played their first game. Way more than half, 27, as BF mentioned.
    A few teams in MLB history won 3 games before a few other teams had played their first game, including the 1990 Reds, who went on to win the World Series that year.
    The thing I remember about the 1990 Reds is that the Giants had a 4-game sweep over them at the ‘Stick that year.

11. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

That Mich St. kid that fouled Napier on that 3 point shot with 25 seconds to go will take a long time to live that down. He’s the goat, since Napier made all 3 free throws, essentially winning the game. He was a senior too, should have known better. Napier’s shot was no guarantee, a contested 24 footer from top of the key. Without that foul, a missed 3 pointer means MSU could have had the ball with 20+ seconds to go and down only 2…

12. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:06 pm

The Wisconsin center, Kamisky, #44, looked like legit NBA material yesterday. I was pulling for Arizona to win, but their inexperience was showing. Gordon seemed like a non-factor for a lot of the game. He definitely needs some more college ball. There’s no way he should be a “one and done,” IMO.

13. willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Sounds like a lot of ABs planned for Arias…if you didn’t like Blanco, I don’t think you are going to like that much of Arias either.
    Hopefully, Sabes saw the Scut situation coming, and is prepared to deal if usual suspects don’t work out.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:16 pm

How would he be prepared to deal with it if Adrianza, Hicks and/or Arias don’t work out? All those guys should be adequate to good on defense. Panik’s not an option. I don’t see Sabes giving up much in a trade to get a vet player for a mainly defensive position…

• willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Snarkk, I’m gonna assume he has had scouts on the lookout for guys on other teams ml rosters who might be available, long term/full time, if Scuts really is toast. In other words, Kelly Johnson type Flav mentioned long ago.
        Hicks, if I remember right from what Flav posted on earlier thread, couldn’t hit well enough to make A’s or Mets IF, not a good sign. Hard to get too fired up over a couple weeks of ST.
        Adrianza has never hit much either, anywhere. Strictly a back up glove guy.
        Arias is fine as a back up but how many ABs out of him do you really want to see? 400? I don’t think so.

14. DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Didn’t the home plate umpire have a heart attack or something on opening day in Cincinnati and pass away about 15-20 years ago?

• zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:35 pm

“John Patrick McSherry (September 11, 1944 — April 1, 1996) was an American umpire in Major League Baseball who worked in the National League from 1971 to 1996. McSherry wore uniform number 9 when he entered the National League, then wore number 10 from 1979 through the rest of his career. A respected arbiter, he was one of several umpires who were noticeably overweight. McSherry was officially listed at 6’2″ (188 cm) and 328 pounds (149 kg), but some sources placed his true weight close to 400 pounds (180 kg). His weight may have been a major factor in causing his sudden cardiac death, which occurred behind home plate during the opening game of the 1996 major league season in Cincinnati on April 1, 1996.”

• zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:38 pm

People got used to seeing overweight umps over the years; maybe this had an impact on umps getting in better shape. Maybe.

• DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks, zumiee. That was really sad. I couldn’t remember his name or if they continued the game or not.

15. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Good article explaining why Belt’s adjustments last year were critical in his development . . . and why this writer thinks he might win the batting title this season.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:02 pm

blade, that link is to a fantasy page…

• blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Sorry, now try it . . . http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/44936/brandon-belt-batting-title-contender

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Interesting article. Belt does hit well to left and left center when his swing is together. Batting title? Even I won’t go that far. I’ll take .295, 23 HRs, and 88 RBIs…

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:26 pm

.295 would have me beating down James front door to jerk off on something inanimate inside.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Ha ha. I’ll race you inside if he hits .295. Meanwhile, while we’re rushing James’ place, he’ll be at his computer figuring out ballpark adjusted WHIPs or some such, and why those stats mean the Giants should have more losses than they actually do… ;)

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

another writer noting that Belt made major adjustments to his swing. His stubbornness finally ended and as a Giants fan, I couldn’t be happier. Hopefully, he keeps his ears open. Nobody is too good to not want to learn.

16. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Twin! I see you posted above. Great rundown. I agree with almost all of it. Your time at Pav’s blog seems to have made you smarter. :)
    I don’t mind Pav’s blog except for one thing: they allow the regs to post videos and there are some guys there who clog up the thread with video after video of stupid, random shit.
    They should get a handle on that somehow, in my opinion.
    Of course, you guys can do it here too. I just ask that you keep it to a minimum and everyone has always been cool about it. It screws up the look of the thread for those trying to just read through the comments if there’s a shitload of videos in the thread.

17. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:25 pm

and by the way Twin, I think I speak for all the regs here when I say I hope you take the dawn of the regular season to make a few more appearances around here. You been gone too long, man.

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I’ll shoot you an Email tonight or tomorrow. I would like to post more here. BTW, the videos on Pav’s blog really are too much. Alex is a really good guy ,we’ve Emailed and tweeted a few times. Unlike Henry and Baggs, he really pays attention to the content on his blog. Although he hasn’t banned me yet ;-)

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:08 pm

sweet. Looking forward to hearing from you. Take care. Good vibes to Zeke, too.

18. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting kinda jazzed for the Dodgers/Padre game tonight. I know they played a couple already in Australia but tonight just feels like the real deal. Who isn’t ready for the real deal?
    I hope Cashner mows ‘em down.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I’m ready for a Dodger loss, for sure. And, an early brawl would be a plus. Those squads don’t like each other…

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I’m ready for Mattingly to call another closed door clear the air meeting. You can never have enough of those. Although come to think of it, they are in LA, maybe they were literally holding a meeting about “clearing the air.” baha.

• DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I love Mattingly. Just can’t help it. If you watched him day in and day out you’d understand.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I’m not against Mattingly, I always respected him as a player. But you put on that sissy ass blue uni and you turn into Ron Cey (to me). Always hated that dude.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Ron Cey, the friggin Penguin, may have been my all time worst Dodger. Well, next to Garvey, anyway. And Sutton. And Scioscia. And Mickey Hatcher. Well, Davey Lopes sucked, too. Yeah, Yeager and Bill Russell, too. Lee Lacy kinda frosted me for some reason. Dagnabit, Drysdale was a pain in the ass, and a surly bastard. Wes “pretty boy” Parker was a turkey. And, that Dusty Bak, uh, never mind. Even that perennial one-year contract old twit Walter Alston — who shuffled to the mound like he was wearing two pair of Depends but was not really too bad of a guy — he ticked me off, too…

19. DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:13 pm

You may remember, Flav, that I was ejected from Shea Stadium for a pre-game profanity laden tirade against Cey when he was in town as a Chicago Cub. It takes real talent to get kicked out of a ballgame during BP…

20. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:15 pm

pretty weak at bat to kick off this game by Crawford.

21. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Ha, Cashner just K’d Puig on 3 pitches–all sliders. I’ve been saying since last he came up that’s the way to get him out, easily.

22. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Ryu kind of annoys me. There’s something about a new player coming into the league and taking #99 as their number that annoys me. Like, “look at me, I’m cool. I’m taking #99.”

23. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Ron Cey. A total Giant-killer. He seemed to golf a 3-run HR every game against the Giants, and then waddle around the bases. I did not dig him.

24. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Big screw up on that play.

25. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Ha! The Dodgers cut-off the throw by Puig and still gave up the extra base.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I know! No comment on that by the announcers.
      Ryu has thrown 137 pitches in the inning but still no runs

26. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:32 pm

fucking pathetic. I hate the Padres.
    But I love baseball, baby! It’s back!

27. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Ah, the Padres show why they’re the Padres.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:37 pm

We were glad they were the choking dog Pads in September 2010… ;)

• zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Forever grateful! :)

• willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm

and of course Quentin is hurt again and on the DL. Maybin too, and that guy has never lived up to promise even when healthy.

I dug Dusty Baker as a player even on LA and Frank Robinson was one of my real heroes in both leagues.
      But as mgrs.? Um, different story.

• DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:43 pm

No one looked better in a uniform than F. Robby. Mays was second, I’d say…

• willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, nice one man.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I’d go Jack Clark. But I’m not as old as you guys. :)

• DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Good one, Flav…and Bobby Bonds, too.

28. zumiee said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I saw one of Cashner’s ST games and he looked like crud. He’s got good stuff tonight.

29. Alleykat said, on March 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

That sure was a dumbass piece of hitting by that padre hitter with the sacks full,
    Ryu all over the strike zone, just walked the base loaded and the idiot swings at the 1st pitch back to Ryu to start the inning ending DP!! Dumb Baseball…

30. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I thought that was going yard. Nice that it didn’t.

31. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Speed kills.

32. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 6:56 pm

the Padres fucking suck. Ryu threw 20 pitches through 1 out in the first inning. Then on his 21st pitch he gets a double play ball. Now he’s got 2 outs in the 6th and he’s only thrown 68 pitches.

33. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:09 pm

If it hasn’t been mentioned, One of my favorites-Ishi-had a strong spring and has made the Bucs and looks to get a lot of playing time. It hasn’t gone as well for Dirrrty with the Cubbies- I have to think this will be the end of the line. He did give us a couple of the great Giants’ memories-the incredibly emotional no-hitter with Dad there and of course helping save our ass down the stretch in 2010 right up to Game 162. That was a helluva game- even with the huge win, he gave us a pretty typical Dirrrrrty outing. It was his unlikely triple that electrified the crowd and the team. I wish him the best.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I saw Ishikawa made the club earlier today on a twitter feed and I swear to God I thought of you.

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Travis:”I know they keep talking about making it a national holiday. I definitely think it should be. This is America’s pastime. Baseball has so much history in America, Opening Day deserves to be celebrated. It is a special moment for us as players, for anyone who has ever played from Little League on up, or who ever watched a game with his dad as a kid.”
        He probably thought there might not be another Opening Day in the bigs for him. He definitely gets what it means for us all.

34. ewisco said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Thayer stealing the Goose look.

35. Macdog said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Awesome, the Blue Bearded one just coughed up the lead.

36. willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:34 pm

What a fun inning! Pin an L on this chump.

37. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Loving this. Come on . . . One more screw up.

38. willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yeah! I always liked Denorfia.
    One of my fav stats is the Blown Save. Even better when combined with the L.

39. Macdog said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

And it gets awesomer.

40. ewisco said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:42 pm

If i was a better human, i wouldn’t have enjoyed the wilson meltdown so much. alas.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Oh we are both degenerates. I enjoyed it immensely.

41. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Hit the farmer’s market in Mountain View this morning. It’s our Sunday family ritual. The woman at my favored apple stand quizzed me up on Morse. She’s a big Giants fan. Just another reason to buy from her. So ready for the Giants season to start.

42. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I guess this means they’re not going 162-0.

43. Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:08 pm

BooHoo Wheezy?

44. DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I’ll root against him, but I could never hate Wilson, or Kent, or Uribe, etc…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Yup. For me it’s Uribe. I don’t know if it is the family history or what but I loved that dude on our club.

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm

the pic I posted in my main thread is the reason I don’t look at BooHoo the same way I look at the other 2 you listed.

• DJLoo said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It’s just shtick. He was always an attention whore…

• Flavor said, on March 30, 2014 at 9:40 pm

That was him just being a dick. Fuck him, I hope his arm falls completely off this year. I hope his beard gives him herpes.

45. ewisco said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm

btw – the dubs, consistently playing to the level of the competition, and losing to bad teams, is the coach’s fault. sorry, that’s just bad coaching.

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I missed it, but even w/out Bogut and Lee, how do you lose at home to the Knicks? They are awful…

• willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I happened to switch over btw innings and catch last few minutes of first half. Knicks (!) went on a 15-0 run punctuated by a J-R 3 at buzzer to take a 56-44 halftime lead…without Melo on the floor.
      It was pure ugliness–missed Js, turnovers including one after a Knicks hoop on an inbounds pass, Knicks scoring from everywhere after shooting over and driving around Dubs.
      No T-O from Jax who just stood there and looked befuddled by his guys.

Bottom line, even healthy, GS is too inconsistent with perimeter game for those not named Curry, and too few guys other than Lee are effective inside scorers. Lee is your basic black hole with no handles and not much inside D, but he has to play because of ability to score inside, get to the FT line and rebound.
      They are a better defensive team with bogut, and I like ONeal in there too. I hope O get msg across to his younger teammates about what they are gonna have to do to win a playoff series vs. those teams ahead of them, but I don’t think they’ll do that.

46. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I also missed the Beard implosion, even on radio. Most delicious news. I’ll check highlights later…

• snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Highlights show the Beard threw a coupla sliders up that didn’t slide much…

47. willedav said, on March 30, 2014 at 9:58 pm

One of the guys on the cbs game tracker site said something like, “Brandon League stole Wilson’s uni and took over the mound.”

48. snarkk said, on March 30, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Opening Day as a holiday? Which day would it be? Last week when the opening was in Sydney? Tonight when the first game was weirdly at Petco on a Sunday night, and the only game going? Or tomorrow, with 5 games going? How can you have a national holiday on a day that’s decided by how much money MLB can maximize?…

49. Bozo said, on March 31, 2014 at 5:28 am

I always had to schedule a vacation day for the home opener, I offered to trade Christmas for it, but my work wouldn’t go for it.
    When the Giants tried having the Opening Day at night, I went to those but also the next day’s day game, which to me was the true opener. How fucked up is a club to have an Opening Day at night? Well, look no further than the NL West, Dodgers and Diamondbacks.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 487 other followers