Huddy the Mentor

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 3, 2014

Is it just me, or do all of you hope Tim Lincecum spends most of his free time these days watching and talking to Tim Hudson? I hope he’s taking copious notes. When Lincecum looks at Hudson, he should see his future. And the sooner the better. Timmy has a formidable task today as he’s facing his Goliath, Paul Goldshit. Goldy is 10 for 20 vs lil’ Timmy with 5 bombs. Those are video game numbers.

Aaron Hill enjoys his offerings as well. He’s 7 for 14 against him.

I think Tim Hudson could literally impact this entire pitching staff in a way Raggs and others never could. And that’s not a dig on Raggs, I think he does a good job. But sometimes, it’s not about telling someone something it’s about letting them watch and learn.

And no one on the staff is too old or too good to not soak up everything Huddy has to offer.

About these ads

1. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:30 am

Impressive Giants debut from Huddy last night.
    As Dirt said last night, that’s Giants baseball. Dominant pitching, solid defense, timely hitting (we score/we win).
    That’s what’s going to get us back to the playoffs.

2. stickman said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:31 am

Ever since Sabean made the quick snatch of Hudson’s services i got the feeling that his calm, cool professional approach to pitching would serve as the perfect stabilizer for the Rotation. Last night’s sterling effort cemented that observation.

Sometimes it takes that solid veteran presence to jell a talented but at times nittery set of young starters. We could be looking at the essential sure, steady stopper here. The overall effect will be to diminish the possibility of ongoing staff meltdowns and losing streaks. Concomitant with that bonus will be the monkey see-monkey do effect on the other starters.

As of his first start for SF, Sabean’s Steal is all to the good.

3. stickman said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:32 am

Cain may still be the Horse, Timmy the Freak and Bumgarner the Ace. Hudson’s the Rock.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

Voggy’s “the enchilada”, or given his stuff lately, just “frijoles”?…

4. gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:50 am

I am now 0-3 with staying up to see any of these Giants games. At least I got a couple of innings in for the first two games:( But I actually wanted to see Hudson pitch so will go back and watch my recording…win today would be solid start to the season…

5. twinfan1 said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:53 am

Well, Craig nailed it on Angel yesterday, but I’ll warn you now- forget about Goldy -Tuffy Gosewisch is in town.

6. gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:53 am

and a win puts us just a game behind the LA Buttheads…and we take 2 of 3, first place baby!

• gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

2 of 3 from the Buttheads this weekend of course…

7. Flavor said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 7m
    Giants say Hudson is first to strike out at least seven and give up no runs in SFG debut since Juan Marichal in 1960.

8. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

I heard on the FM sports radio station that there’s rumors Kershaw might, might be shut down until June…

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:11 am

I feel bad for the guy. Talent like that is good for the game as a whole. Hopefully he recovers well. Next year.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

Just goes to show how crazy these guaranteed LT mega deals are for pitchers…

10. gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:31 am

and the long flight backlfrom Australis may have contributed to the muscle injury…that is just turrribbble…thank you Bud Selig for once!

11. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

Teams are already unhappy with giving players to the World Baseball Classic every 4th year, now sending yearly two teams to the ends of the earth very early on to play meaningless “real” games that F’s up Spring Training schedules. If they can pin injury to Kershaw to the short offseason due to early Spring Training schedule after a post season run, nobody is going to want to do this stuff anymore. Teams will send minor leaguers or at least minor league pitchers to this WBC thing…

12. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Good thread (and title), Flav. As I said on the previous thread….Hoping Hudson can teach Tim a few things that will help him be more consistent and successful.

Last night’s game confirmed why I was so pumped when it was announced that Sabes had signed Huddy. And Stick…I like it “The Rock” Hudson.

• stickman said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

Jeez Chi, and i was hoping to sneak that lefthanded screwball past you all, but there’s always some sharp-eyed sniper in the bunch watching the ball leave the hand. So busted!

13. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:05 am

If Hudson can win, say 13 or 14, that’s like 15 or 16, since he would beat the Giants twice were he still with Atlanta…

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:05 am

Pagan CF
    Blanco LF
    Belt 1B
    Sandoval 3B
    Pence RF
    Sanchez C
    Crawford SS
    Adrianza 2B
    Lincecum RHP

Blanco in the 2 hole isn’t something I had really thought of. I like this LU. Good D up the middle and all around really. Speed on the base paths.

Go Giants!

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:07 am

This is the Defense lineup, other than Hector. Bochy must figure the ball will be hit a bit today. I guess we’re starting the Tim gets Hector thing again…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

Yeah, now if Lincecum can hold some runners on and keep the ball down.

If Sanchez catches Lincecum regularly I’m good with that. More ABs for him to prove his value and a true day off for Posey.

• unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:11 am

No, this is the day-after-a-night-game-and-a-split-is-fine-with-Boch lineup.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:15 am

That, too, Chuck. And, the “if Morse botches a liner to left, Timmy’s going to go nuts” lineup…

• stickman said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:30 am

Lineup could work ~ particularly if Pence can get his Enforcer spot ass off the schneid.

15. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

Curious to see how Sanchez does. The leaner meaner Hector. . .

16. blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

Chico, I got my vote in for Grandma Maggie. :-)

• Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Steve – you get the email I sent to you yesterday (about your trip 12-25)?

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Yes Chi. I haven’t booked yet and I am looking at extending to the following week. Who’s all going? Asking for a couple of reasons – I am not certain whether I would borrow my mom’s car and park at a condo complex my cousin manages about a block from the phone park; or, take the train. Sort of wondering how everyone else is getting there, game tickets, etc.

17. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

I like the line-up, too. And you have Posey and Morse available on the bench for PHing…

Vogey to start off the series tomorrow with the Bumbinos. Hoping he surprises us all (in a good way)….

18. Flavor said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:29 am

this is rad. Check out Boch in the background

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 11:51 am

The “real” Bochy, unleashed — when a bet is on the line! Hilarious. Pat the Bat saw Morse play in LF, and wants to compete for his job…

19. Alleykat said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Obviously the pitching staff didn’t take the mentor role with Zen Master Zito!
    Hudson,takes a more bulldog approach,that the staff will follow..

20. Irish Kevin said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm

This is for you Chi, Hudson was outstanding and I am eating crow for talking smack when they acquired him about his age. I will say that he is by far a superior pitcher than Zito. He appears to have great control of his pitches. Yes I hope that Tim L climbs into the dude back pocket to learn how to pitch. Kuiper on KNBR this morning commented on how if Hudson has a guy at 0-2 he is just think how can I get this guy out. Where as Tim L is thinking how can I strike this dude out. Hudson doesn’t care about strike outs except when needed, he is just looking for the out, ground out, fly out whatever it takes. Chi we get to see this Hudson on opening day!!! Yahoo!!

• Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm

NP, Kev. I have never had issue with your (or anyone’s) comments about old players. Age is indifferent if the player can still “get the job done.” And obviously, Hudson can. The dude has been a stud pretty much his whole career, and I thought he was a good risk when signed.

And yes, I truly do hope he can help Tim make that transition.

21. sandy32koufax said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hudson looked as good last night as he did 4 years ago, must have found Ponces’ map to Fla. IDK if TL is a good student but he couldn’t go wrong watching and picking the brain of Hudson. Game four in a few minutes, I wonder which Arroyo shows up…

22. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:49 pm

BELTed!

23. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Well, that’s a cool way to start!

24. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

For Timmy, that’s NOT a cool way to start.
    Bochy has to look at skipping him in the rotation when playing the D-Backs.

25. willedav said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

First pitch, another mutha foray.
    Fastball just above the belt…hmnn.

• willedav said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm

*for ya* as johnny guitar Watson put it.

26. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Same Timmy – getting lit up by Goldschmidt. WTF…you AT LEAST pitch around him…but NO, he grooves one to the guy who has serious ownage on him.

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I’d tell him “Tim, sorry, but you’re done pitching to the D-Backs after today.”

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Of course, I’d wait until after the game to tell him….

27. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hope the bullpen is rested and ready…Bochy needs to have the hook ready. I don’t know why I was optimistic about Tim this year. I know it is only one start, and only the first inning, but the results so far are NOT encouraging….

28. gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm

whoo put the jinx on Timmy???

• sandy32koufax said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Jobu Cerrano

29. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Timmy just needs to throw four balls in the dirt to Goldschmidt now, every AB. It’s gotta be in his head. He’s throwing BP pitches to the guy…

30. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Why Timmy gives him anything to hit baffles me. It’s like the no-first-ball-fastball-to-Puig. Walk him EVERY TIME, TIMMY.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm

At this point, I would assume the coaches have figured out a pitching plan on what to do vs. Goldschmidt. If they have, Tim must be ignoring it or can’t do it. If they haven’t, that would be crazy…

31. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Tuffy Gosewisch?

32. gianthead said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Why not throw one inside then????

33. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:31 pm

6 HRs and 21 ribbies in 21 ABs for Goldy vs Timmy

• James said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm

He may have a lower HR to pitch ratio in BP.

34. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Pence guns down another…

35. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I get it now. Have Goldie get a hit, then have the OF throw him out at second. Better than a dinger…

36. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Trying to run on Pence?

37. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:33 pm

That gets that fucker out.

38. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Tim’s 47 pitches in 3 innings is about a dozen too many…

• James said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:43 pm

The breadth of Huddy’s sphere of influence may need to re-assessed.

39. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Pence finally with a hit…hopefully an indication of things to come.

Blade – check with Flav re: the 25th (who all is going, etc.). Hoping you can extend and join us.

40. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Good job Hectorrrrrrrrrrrrr.

41. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:45 pm

saw the vid of the throw out. Great job by Pence. If anything, we’ll get Arroyo out of the game soon. He;s at 70 already,

• Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:01 pm

78 through 4 innings….if they can make him throw a fair number of pitches…could be Arroyo’s last inning.

42. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm

This is amusing. Cargo had to leave the Rockies game, literally for being a dipshit. Shades of “Sandlot”…

43. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:01 pm

That was a pretty good inning for Tim right there. Alright Giants, time to get into AZs bullpen.

44. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Timmy settling down somewhat. 62 through 4.

PaGone with a two bagger…I am hoping he gave a salute! Let’s bring him home Giants!

45. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Ka-bang and a salute.

46. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Angel is starting the year hot. That’s a good sign…

47. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Hit the road jack and don’t ya come back no mo no mo…hit the road Arroyo…

48. Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Fuck…needed a productive AB there…

49. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Crap. A waste of a lead off double,

50. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Just hit him Tim, why fuck with the Fuck.

• Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm

…or get him out, now there’s a concept.

51. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Shite.

52. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Damn. Got to light up their pen again.

53. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Fuck, Timmy. He hung that slider badly.

54. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm

OK, Hicks can hit.

55. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Per the radio, Huff the pitcher didn’t cover 1b, else they get a DP and out of the inning. Now, an extra run comes in as a result. More, costly bad D by Giants pitching — SOS…

56. Macdog said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Yet another Huff not known for his fielding instincts.

57. blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I just joined the game . . . So, what do inquiring minds (Flappers) think – Lincecum . . . A. Didn’t do too bad for his first game in 2014 and he can build on this start; B. Timmy needs to go back to Greg Maddux University and retake “Finesse 101″ and “Intentional Walks Aren’t The Worst Thing In The World” courses; C. Lincecum and Voggy, the battle for number 5 is on; or, D. We’re fucked every 5th day he pitches to anyone not named the Padres.

58. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:08 pm

This may be the Timmy we get all year. A #4 pitcher. The occasional gem, the usual average, and once in a while routed. He’s back to throwing gopher ball high pitches at the wrong moment to the wrong guys that get crushed. Huddy’s got some work to do “mentoring”…

59. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Well, Panda lost a lot of weight in the offseason. He didn’t lose the desire to swing at bullshit up in his eyes or in the dirt…

60. ewisco said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Pablo not negotiating from a position of strength right yet.

61. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Morse with a shot here to make some noise.

62. Macdog said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Awright Morse!

63. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

PaGONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

64. wswin said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

how bout that

65. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

DAYUM!! Pagan to the rescue!

66. Macdog said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

PA-GONE!!!

67. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Knock on wood, the Dbacks Pen looks more “vulnerable” than ours. Pagan is “En Fuego”!…

68. Bozo said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Angel is loving AZ.

69. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Giants might hit 150 HRs if they played in this place…

70. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Belt is turning into Boog Powell. HR or K…

71. Macdog said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Ballgame!

72. wswin said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

congrats on opening series of season

73. blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm

3 of 4 is never shabby. Nice.

74. Flavor said, on April 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Didn’t catch the game but followed it online when I could. Whether it’s moxie or mettle, the Giants had *it* against AZ in this first series of the year. Stoked.

75. snarkk said, on April 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

The extra umphh in the offense compared to last year is encouraging, allowing for playing in the AZ launch pad. We might get to that 700 runs I’d like to see. Angel is a real catalyst, the dude better stay healthy this year…

76. blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I didn’t know Timmy was getting over an illness, as well as the knee bruise he incurred last week. Four runs and eight hits over six innings. He did’t walk a batter and struck out seven. Not bad, as it seems the pair of two-run homers did him in, but otherwise he pitched fairly well. He gets a mulligan in my opinion.

• Alleykat said, on April 3, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Agree Blade! Didn’t see the game but I heard Timmy threw 71 strikes out of 98 pitches with the no walks and 7 punch outs.Thats impressive even though Goldfish will have ownage on him for life, Shit the dude just rakes him over the coals, walk him or bean him!!!

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

the no walks is huge.

77. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Maybe the folks at Elias are working on it, but I wonder where the Goldy/Timmy “ownage” rates on all-time ownages between batter and pitcher. It’s got to be heading into all-timer range.
    I’m glad Timmy battled through it today, but if I were Bochy, I would still tweak the rotation so Lincecum can skip the D-Backs the next time.

78. zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Well, some minimal research brought up this fangraphs article that would seem to indicate that the Goldy/Timmy match-up is still too small a sample size to make a judgment of level of ownage. But then again I didn’t read the whole article; it was too exhausting. :)

• unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm

7 HRs in 22 ABs?

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I hear ya. It’s a big enough sample-size, in my opinion. I don’t remember ever seeing anything like it before.

79. DJLoo said, on April 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I remember how light hitting Tommy Hutton could really hit Seaver, Gibson & Jenkins…

80. DJLoo said, on April 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm

McCovey was 18 for 33 (.545) with 7 homers vs. Bob Moose…

81. DJLoo said, on April 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Stargell 9 for 18 (.500) with 6 homers vs. Mike Caldwell…

82. DJLoo said, on April 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm

This is fun. Aaron 12 for 26 (.462) 7 homers vs. Don Gullett.
    Goodnight.

• SanDawg said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I love these last 4 posts—right up my alley. I remember Mike Caldwell would intently stare at a batter the whole time he circled the bases whenever he got taken deep. Not sure he did that with the Giants, but definitely with the Brew Crew.
      Didn’t get to follow the game today other than the occasional score check. Crazy Horse hitting well is huge and I’m glad Timmy righted the ship somewhat. One quality start out of 4 so far for SFG.
      Vogy time? I HAVE FAITH IN VOGLESONG!

Stargell on Caldwell is lefty on lefty too. (Though I guess Goldschlager follows that trend as well)

• James said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I’m going to game 10, so I guess I have faith, too.

83. unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Watching the replay now. I had to laugh when they played Let it Be when the swarm of bees was attacking Pollock.

• SanDawg said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Chuck…the game being mentioned is 4/25. You in?

• unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Yeah,. I think so. I think all the troops around here want to go . . .

• Chipower9 said, on April 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m in Dawg – and I think Blade is trying to extend his NorCal stay so that he can join us, too. James mentioned going to game 10 (game 10 on the home schedule is 4/25). So, you going that Friday night, James?

84. SanDawg said, on April 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I did some googling after Ralph Kiner died and stumbled upon a YouTube of Kiner’s Korner with him interviewing Seaver. Seaver mentioned the bit about Tommy Hutton. Also said he had a heckuva time with Woody Woodward.
    Kiner’s Korner kicked my ass. I would have never missed that show if I had access to it growing up. They showed a clip of Seaver pitching to Mickey Mantle in the Astrodome. Just cued up the video without introducing it and let Seaver figure out what it was. “Where did you get this? Is this from the all star game in ’67? Oh, I remember now, its from the All star game in ’68. The only time I ever faced Mickey Mantle. I managed to strike him out.” (or something like that)

• DJLoo said, on April 3, 2014 at 10:12 pm

My 2 Kiner favorites that never got publicized:

1) On non-game nights, the Met station, Channel 9 in NY used to show reruns of the show Vega$. During a conference on the mound Kiner had to read a promo for an upcoming episode and said the following:
      “Tomorrow night on Vegas, Dan Tanna picnics after shooting an innocent bystander”
      (I think you can figure out his screw-up)

2) Kiner’s Korner has been brought to you by Mitsubitchy Motors…

• snarkk said, on April 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Seaver is a product of Fresno High School, Fresno City College and glug, USC. The pitcher with the best use of his legs to drive the motion and pitch that I’ve ever seen. Dunno what his lifetime was vs. Giants, but it had to be good. I seem to remember he cleaned our clocks, mostly…

85. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I know it’s been covered, but I want to praise Huff and Gutierrez again. This was a very winnable game for LA after it got to 8-4 . Who knows how they’ll fare going forward but it also demonstrated the essence of how Bochy handles his pen- after a poor outing he almost always sends his guys right back in there. It’s easy if it’s a Romo or Casilla or even Petit. He could have used Petit for a couple innings after Huff faced the two lefties and then gone to Machi for two innings and then the short guys, He did use Machi for an inning but when the Bums might have really gotten squarely in it, he used the 6 and 7 relievers to keep it under control. That’s why players love to play for Bruce- he shows confidence in his guys and that gives them confidence. Yeah, he prefers veterans but that has worked out pretty well over the years. We all want to see Hembree and Law and I do think we’ll see them here before the end of the year and they’ll be mainstays for years to come. Of course this is just my opinion.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers