What Was Your Best Opening Day?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2014

Opening Day.

Is there any better day of the year? Now that it’s here, I’m bummed I’m not going. The moment the game starts you are literally surrounded by 40,000 people who have joined you  in a happiness fellowship.

Opening Day.

It should be around 75 degrees in the City today.

I don’t go to enough opening days. I think I’ve been to two at AT&T. I went to the last one at Candlestick and meant to find the photos from that day and share them here but got side tracked and I don’t feel like digging through boxes in the dark.

Opening day.

Knowing dude head nods abound.

openingday

and then this happened….

high5

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:11 am

Despite the bunting, the hoopla, the ballyhoo and the who’s who, I loved Opening Day. It was always a scheduled day off for me. When the Giants had the Opener at night, I went to that game but would take the next day off for the day game. Since I retired and moved 3,000 miles away, I still take the day off. Sorry dear, Opening day, the Home Depot run can wait until tomorrow.
    The Sierra Nevada’s are on ice. I plan on Grilling some Polish dogs (gotta have my Polish, it’s a tradition), for a side dish I have smoked sausage, let the heart burn begin. Since the game starts at 4:30 here, I might grill em up, wrap them in tin foil and let them sit in the oven on low for an hour, just to get the Big Flav ballpark dog experience, nah.
    Happy SF New Year Y’all.

2. willedav said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:18 am

Nice shot, Flav. thx, that’s beautiful.
    D-Bax currently bringing up the rear of the division, Corbin was moved to 60 day DL so he’s gonzo for a while. TL gets rematch with golds, who takes him yard at ATT just as easily as elsewhere. But I don’t think this club contends with what they have.
    Followed into town by Rox, currently feasting on home cooking of ChiSox. Rox are 3-1 at home 1-3 on the road, same old same old. Trading Fowler a curious move.
    Would not surprise me if these two battle it out for 4th in division. Like to know from our resident Coloradan Blade what the feeling is on Weiss, and would he/players survive another year as bottom feeders. Would they dump off Tulo to save $$$ and rebuild, esp pitching staff?
    Then it’s rematch with LA, which should be epic end to homestand.
    Enjoy, Chi and whomever else is going.

3. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:38 am

The real fans have stopped going to Coors Willie. However, the owner still makes money at the park because it’s a beautiful place/setting for soaking up sun, flirting with girls (seriously, it’s a major pick up place for the 30 and under crowd, especially now that they have built the “Party Deck” which you all will hear about when the Giants visit here), and fans of other teams, e.g., Cub fans usually are equal or more in number when they are in town. Similar numbers for Red Sox, Yankess, Dodgers, and Giants.

In all honesty, they did increase the payroll this season to about $95 million. However, again, there were no impact players signed, other than maybe Anderson. Meh. Fans are pissed and scratching their head regarding Fowler. This was a salary dump pure and simple.

Regarding Weiss, he tries, but he is over his head. He was a high school coach (hilarious) and he relies upon his bench coach and pitching coach to assist him in making decisions. That being said, like the GM (a complete idiot), he probably has a secure job for the next couple of seasons, unless if he totally fucks up. That is the reality of working for cheapskate owners (which by the way, one is in rehab for alcoholism, as he got popped again for DUI last year). You are spot on regarding their record – slightly better than last season (maybe), with the starting pitching and the inevitably taxed bullpen doing them in, coupled with not solving the road trip batting woes that continue to affect them annually. Same old, same old in other words.

Tulo and/or Cargo WILL be gone next season if they are injured and/or do not perform. Book it. Probably Tulo.

4. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:31 am

Great photo BF!!!
    Nothing like opening day to get the juices flowing,Been to 5, all but 1 at ATT, well actually it was PAC BELL which I still like the name better.
    Which I could go today, but who ever Flappers are going I envy you all, and enjoy a Giants Win with Huddy dealing!!! Go Orange& Black!!!!!

5. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

great morning shot

6. Raymond said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

It’s the best day at the park Flav…but you know that. You should definitely made it a tradition starting next year!!! My pops turns 75 today and I’m taking him to his first opening day, EVER! I’m super excited!! Will post pic on fb.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:00 am

awesome dude, have a blast!

7. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:16 am

I have never been to a Giants’ Opening Day, neither in NY nor SF. Been to Mets’ opener, circa 1979-80; maybe a few. Cloudy memory. Been to several Minor League season openers, including last week’s for the AAA International League Syracuse Chiefs. Looked for SF Giants fans. Found some. Yes! Naturally. Let’s win this one!

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

Never been to an opening day either. Isn’t Chi heading to the game today. Lucky guy.

MLBTR reporting that Sandoval is looking for 5 years. Get it done. It will look like a great deal at the end of the year if Belt continues with his upward trend.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

With MLB salary inflation, almost anything will turn out to be a bargain in the marketplace if done now. Well, not ANYTHING. But look at what the Rays do. They sign up promising, WOULD-BE stars long-term practically as rookies. Typically the market will far outpace those salaries. Right?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

Yep. The Rays do it as a matter of survival. They should move that club to Canada or something. What did they have like 100K people show up for that recent exhibition?

9. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’ve only been to one home-opener, at Candlestick.
    Even though I wasn’t at the first home-opener at AT&T, that first one was very memorable because it was kind of weird. Elster (!) of the Dodgers hit 3 homeruns that day, and you could just sense everyone going “WOH! This ballpark is a BANDBOX; Bonds is going to hit 100 homeruns this season!!”
    Oh man, little did we know what the true nature of the ballpark was. :)
    Even though Bonds did end up hitting a lot of homeruns, but that’s a whole other issue.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:32 am

Yeah, and didn’t we go something like 0-8 there at the outset?

10. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:37 am

Diggity, Dirt, Chi, Zumie, and Snarkk— check your emails, we are good to go.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:42 am

go where??? a top-secret, covert run to Opening Day? a brazen yet surrepTITious rendezvous with BBOTD???

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:45 am

Game on 25th. Bummed u aren’t out here!

11. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:41 am

photo/1

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

Giants were tweeting that last night. Clever marketing. I like it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

and of course I just Retweeted

12. stickman said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:19 am

Happiness is an Opening Day victory calmly cruising in our vintage Hudson Terraplane.

13. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:27 am

Excellent Fox Sports article about the Giants hitting.

.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/giants-batters-packing-some-punch-early-in-the-season-040614?cmpid=traffic:partner:bleacherreport

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

Nice link. It would be interesting to hear more about how “they work together (offensively)”.

14. snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m up for a good Hudson outing for opening day. He keeps the ball down. I’ll go out and predict a Morse jack, just for the helluvit. Just heard on KNBR the pregame jibber jabber and Marty Lurie dropped in on blowhard Radnich. Radnich started to spew about how great it is to have a younger woman around (he has a much younger 2nd wife). He went on and on congratulating Marty on snagging Beercan with a not at all subtle radio wink wink. You could tell Marty was NOT amused. Hilarious… ;)

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Radnich has always seemed like kind of a cheesy person, to me, from the few times I’ve listened to his show. Asking the callers what kind of cars they drive, etc., and gushing on and on about the highest priced cars. One time he went on and on about Bob Hope having lots of hookers around. Who cares? A rich guy in Hollywood has hookers? Wow, that’s a shocker.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:17 pm

His time has past. I don’t see how they keep him on. The ratings must be good enough, else they would not, I suppose. He doesn’t even go to games much, yet is a sports guy…

• Wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I must be the only one here who likes Radnich. Of course, other than the times that I am visiting family in the Bay Area, I rarely listen to him anymore…By the way, my wife says I am a blowhard, maybe that’s why I like him so much. ;)

15. Wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

Went to about 7 or 8 opening days as a kid. Favorite was probably in 93…Giants were suppose to be in St. Petersburg but Magowan saved the team…Grateful Dead sang the national anthem and Bonds homered in his first at bat. Doesn’t get much better than that…When I moved to Austin for college, my girlfriend and I drove to Houston for opening day at the Dome in 98…Giants won in 14 innings when Kent slugged a grand salami….We got a room at a Days Inn near the stadium and “we tripped the lights fantastic.”

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Heck, I would have have been stoked just to see the game followed by a crawfish etouffe dinner at Pappadeaux… ;)

• Wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Étouffée and a cup of seafood gumbo…That’s good eating!

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I’m with you Joe, 93 and 2011 were my favorite ODs.

16. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I was there too, Joe. Still have the comemmorative shirt. Went in 1989 with my soon-to-be wife. Went to a couple in the early 80s, but none at the phone booth.

Snarkk, I always got the Lake Ponchatrain fillet.

• Wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I make a point to get to the Houston Hobby airport extra early for my business trips, just so I can eat at Pappadeaux’s.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I didn’t know they were in airports now…

17. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Dodgers’ starting catcher out for a month and possibly longer, with arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Wow. Giants need to make hay…

18. Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Ready, steady -GO

19. Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Nice.

20. Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Fuck yeah Mr. Belt.

21. Macdog said, on April 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Home opener BELT-ED!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

thanks for telling me about free game on MLB.tv; just tuned in a few moments ago…YEAH!

22. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Best I can tell, we’ve got Flap coverage at the game with Raymond, Kevin and Chi. Well done dudes! Belt gets his second hit of the day and the plastic starts to plastic itself, just because it is not insane.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

WTF are you talking about with this plasticity? Are you on acid?

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Belt is smokin’ the ball so much, I’ve cancelled my Canadian online order for blue pills…

23. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:09 pm

“the plastic starts to plastic itself, just because it is not insane.”

Man, that made me laugh. Belt is hitting so well ‘the plastic is putting plastic on itself.’ That house is going to have so much plastic in it, it’s going to look like one of those houses Walt and Jesse used to cook meth in, with their fake cleaning company scam.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm

(A Breaking Bad reference, for those who haven’t seen the show.)

24. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I am NOT understanding this “take Morse out in the 5th” stuff. The 7th, maybe. But all we did was worsen our offense for a longshot of Crawford knocking in a 2nd run against a lefty

25. Macdog said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Another early defensive switch to Blanco, although this one may have been influenced by Trumbo’s bumbling.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Miller explained on radio that Bochy has said he’s taking Morse out early for a while yet as a precaution for his calf muscle that was injured in spring. Seemed to work that time — Morse would not have tried for home, Blanco scores it…

• Wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, his legs must be worse than we think. Let’s enjoy what we get from him while we can.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:37 pm

yes it worked, barely. I guess the calf precautionary thing makes sense.

• Macdog said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Thanks snarkk, especially since I’m watching the game with no sound.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I was skeptical, but Morse in the lineup so far seems to really add some pop. His D is acceptable in exchange for that. Hope he stays healthy…

26. Irish Kevin said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I hate side arm pitchers! 👎👎👎

• Irish Kevin said, on April 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Yes the Flapp is well represented, I hooked up with Chi in the 5th he took pics. The Giants are doing a good job of entertaining us!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm

smiley

27. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Excellent outing by Hudson. Nice. I’ve only been to one opening day and that was back in 1966 . . . I have little memory of what happened, who played, who won, etc. LOL. Ironically, it seemed like I always went to the last game of the season when they use to give away cars and other gifts to fans.

28. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:05 pm

So, have we had a Brandon to Brandon to Brandon DP yet?

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I’d be surprised to see Gibson make it to July.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Between the POTD and all this plastic talk . . . . did I miss something?

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm

In an earlier thread, BF said that if Belt kept hitting, he’d go to James’ house and get excited all over inanimate objects, or something like that. I said I would join if Belt continued. So, Belt is en fuego, and James may be heading for the industrial plastic wrap aisle at Home Depot. BF can clarify if that is not quite correct…

31. Macdog said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Ballgame! Sure looks like Huddy’s gonna like it here.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm

. . . and we’re going to like Huddy. :-)

32. snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hudson may be the #1B starter right now.
    Great Opener! Solid pitching, good D, and plenty of Gyros runs, with some pop. I could get used to games like that…

33. Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:19 pm

And that’s a wrap. Nice win.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

“Plastic” wrap….baha
      Yes, Snarkk’s 4:15 covers the history of the plastic wrap. I think I inadvertently gave myself a plastic fetish with all this plastic wrap talk lol

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Plastic fetish? Maybe it’s just a new love for the Fugs song, Saran Wrap.- “After the prom and you ain’t got no scum bags, saran wrap, saran wrap.”

34. Macdog said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Braves wearing their 70s unis tonight vs. Mets, must be in honor of Hammerin’ Hank breaking Ruth’s record 40 years ago today. Now if only they had gotten Al Downing to throw out the first pitch.

35. wswin said, on April 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Congrats on the home opener

36. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 5:28 pm

It’s early in the season, but Timmy’s start tomorrow is big in my opinion and will provide much info. Numero uno, he is going against his arch nemesis again, Goldylocks, not to mention a couple of other Snakes that seem to have his number. In short, can he make adjustments? He has a seemingly excellent advantage pitching at the Phone Park. I am hoping this alone translates into keeping the ball in the park. Regardless, I am going to be glued to the TV tomorrow.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Goldy has his number, so Timmy should just issue Goldy 4 pitches low and outside in the dirt, and move on. Every time, even with bags full. Unless SF is up by 5 and the bases are empty…

• pete said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Move on feeling like a pussy? That’s such a weak pathetic way out. You don’t give up but keep working to get him out.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm

walking Goldy is not being a pussy. It’s playing the game. Strategy. Try understanding the game before you spout off. There’s a reason Barry got walked 232 times in ’04. Had you been pitching to him he would have hit 142 hr’s instead of just 45

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Lincecum’s never been weak facing hitters, and he never will be. That’s the problem with this one nemesis hitter, ego maybe overriding smarts. Goldy’s hitting near or over .500 career against Tim, with 6 bombs in just 20+ ABs. There’s not being a pussy, there’s being smart, and there’s being insane — which is doing the same thing over and over, and getting hammered over and over…

37. stickman said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Did everyone enjoy that fine ride on the vintage Hudson Terraplane today? Had a strong feeling he would dominate the Snakes again what with it being Opening Day for his new team and all. Betcha he’s thinking ring-tones. So are Belt and Pagan, no doubt. This one could add up to one helluva team if the three yet unproven starters can revert to form. If at least one of them does, this budding offensive juggernaut, plus a bullpen miles deep into a loaded pipeline looks like a formula for a big winner.

Sure and its waaay early yet, but some of those poobah prognosticators who handed the West and even the World Series to the LaBumbos just could end up with egg on their faces. They lack both chemistry and general team cohesion despite having tons of talent. Judging from early election returns Sabean’s scoops of Hudson and Morse did nothing adverse to our chemistry and cohesion, rather augmented it.

It simply amazes me how many sports predicticators got their eyeballs covered with glitter and Hollywood fairy dust and simply overlooked the team which has won half of the last four World Championships. Barring major injuries to key performers they just may pull off another Parade down Market.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Prognosticators in baseball are always wrong. Every year. Basketball they are good and in football they can usually narrow it down to 5 or 6 teams that have a shot at winning. Not sure about hockey, I don’t follow hockey.
      There is simply too much that can go screwy in a 162 game season. The team you start off with on OD is never the team you end up with in September.
      Right?

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Who’s not on the 25 in mid-September? I’ll go out on a limb and say Voggy. And, Scutaro…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm

injuries…..

38. Flavor said, on April 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Plus, a lot of those *progs* get excited about salary, stuff they’ve seen a player do on the back of their baseball card. What you have done is awfully easy to understand. Anyone can do that. To truly prognosticate you need to be able to extrapolate and looking at a 30+ year old player and guessing what he’s going to do in his 30’s, when his prime was 26-30, is idiotic if you’re looking in the rear view mirror. That almost never translates into what you are going to do going forward, especially as older players are eschewing steroids (in comparison to the steroid era). Older players earn their big deals and then shut the steroid use down (at least most of them do that). Why keep taking that shit if you already have your 100+ mil? You don’t have to deal with the public embarrassment, the side effects, it makes sense for players to stop taking them after they hit free agency and score a monster deal……..

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Meanwhile, Pujols played in only 99 games last year for the Angels. As of now, Pujols is hitting around .226, OBP of .250, with 1 dinger through 7 games…

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:35 pm

A lot of the media pundits picked Toronto and Washington for the World Series last year.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

For this season, for the ones I’ve seen, they are almost all picking Doghairs then Cards, vs Rays or RSox…

39. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Interesting early season interleague game, Tigers vs. Dodgers.
    Rajai Davis batting leadoff for the Tigers? And he starts the game with a hit.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

And steals second.

• zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm

And dies at third.

40. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:25 pm

And Gordon leads off with an HR for the Dodgers.
    Say what??

41. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Goldilocks. Good moniker.

42. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm

The Cuban Abreu went yard with his first HR after battling Bettis for what seemed like 20 or more pitches. White Sox 7, Sherpas 2.

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm

3 more HRs since I last posted (LOL), including another one by Abreu. Umm, I think the Sherpas are going to need reinforcements for their bullpen.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:28 pm

RU throwing in the towel already for the Rox this season — as in last place?…

43. blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Not my job maaan . . . They do a pretty good job of it themselves. By the by, dollars to donuts you’ll read tomorrow that Wilton Lopez has been optioned to Colorado Springs after his horrific performance this evening.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:38 pm

The Dbacks are looking poor so far, but I can’t tell this early if they’ll be worse than the Rox. I had Dbacks and Pads 3 and 4 finishers, but after a week, maybe that should be reversed….

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Sheez, blade, that Tulo is always getting hurt…

44. Alleykat said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:47 pm

15-3 now Blade, Sherpa’s bring back Todd Helton to Chuck an inning in this wipe out!

• blade3colorado said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:53 pm

The ChiSox announcers were actually invoking the mercy rule. They felt really bad for Lopez who was left out there by Weiss for 8 hits and 6 runs before he also couldn’t take the torture anymore and replaced him after 2/3rds of an inning.

45. James said, on April 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Brandon Belt has — so far this year — become the player his detractors suspected Brett Pill would be.

46. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Dodger closer = blown save.

47. zumiee said, on April 8, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Tigers find a way to lose it. Coke walks Figgins to lead off the inning. Figgins? Seriously?
    The Tigers aren’t the same without Fielder in the lineup. And they continue to have bullpen issues.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 488 other followers