Moving On From Yesterday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 13, 2014

I’m still having trouble processing the reality that the freaking Colorado Rockies bullpen shut us down yesterday. But whatever, it’s just one game of 162, time to let it go and focus on today’s seemingly nice match up. Chatwood is coming back off injury and we have our ace going today. Huddy usually doesn’t dick around with games like these and I expect him to be masterful once again. Brandon Belt should enjoy the offerings of the Rockie righty and I’m wondering if Blanco gets a start today— he’s 4 for 7 against him. Crawford also hits him well (5-11).

I usually take the pessimistic approach to the day after a game like yesterday’s but I’m going contrarian and saying we win 5-1.

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:22 am

Well, I hope you are right about Hudson, as he has been money in one of my fantasy leagues and he’s my pitcher in a Fan Duel tournament today. Go Huddy and Giants!

2. willedav said, on April 13, 2014 at 9:33 am

I think it’s 9 2/3 shutout innings from rox pen from Friday night.

More disturbing is SF at 2-3 on the homestand, with LA coming in for next 3 (Lincecum and Vogs getting the first two starts). Last year home record was not near as good as in past years, blowing too many series to chump teams out of Central and East. LA slapped DBax around again last night tho League turned a laugher into a game Jansen had to come in and save. AZ is 4-8 on the year, but 2-1 at ATT.

One guess who is on ESPN tonite. I hope it lasts till midnight…our time.

3. stickman said, on April 13, 2014 at 10:24 am

Though he got cained for the umpteenth time it sure was a pleasure to see our Horse revert to form yesterday. Upshot is that we now are looking at 3/5th of an effective Rotation. Some vintage Timmy when the LaBumbos come to town would be a total tonic for this Giants fan, and i suspect, many others.

Once in awhile Bochy’s pigheadedness really bothers me. Item in point batting Pablo third yesterday. Though he may have hit the ball hard a couple times our third sacker failed flailingly with the sacks jammed and two outs in the bottom of the 8th. A Salami wasn’t essential. A sharp single likely would have plated two. Sandoval should be batting 5th or 6th, with Crawford second and Belt third.

So far in this young season Hudson has been our stopper. May he do that again today.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Panda hitting third again today. I’d drop him down to 5th, let Morse hit behind him. If Panda is too far down the lineup, he’ll get absolutely nothing to hit, and will get himself out accordingly. If he wants the big bucks, he needs to start getting his head in the game defensively, and improve the situational hitting. He’s a 5 year vet now, he’s no rookie. As for Pence, he needs to start earning that dough, too. Those two guys are killin us so far in the lineup, and now that the others have cooled off, they need to get in gear…

4. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Small sample size, but Chatwood has the third best starter ERA against the Giants after Kershaw and Wainwright. Hudson better be on today…

5. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 12:46 pm

BTW, Cain toughed it, gutted it out and showed something yesterday. Encouraging. Somehow, most of this guy’s entire career is summarized in that game. Good to very good effort, no run support…

6. Bozo said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

It’s early and all, but I find it interesting that Pablo is tied for the team lead in walks. Maybe getting in shape isn’t what’s hanging him up, maybe it’s the not swinging away that is. It seems to me that in the past quite a few of his hits and HRs came on pitches that would have been called balls. And since he also happens to be second on the team in Ks, maybe Sandoval should start swinging at the pitches around his shoes and eyes again.

7. zumiee said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

If they keep 13 pitchers when Affeldt comes back, that means Perez or Adrianza goes down. I’d rather see Perez stay.

• Bozo said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Adrianza is out of options so it might be Hicks that goes to Fresno.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Perez will go. He’s got an option. They’ll probably want to keep 13 arms at least through the roadie at Coors. Then, they’ll have to make some kind of decision on Adrianza and Hicks. I don’t see Hicks leaving. His D is a little suspect, but Bochy probably likes the idea he has a little pop in the bat…

8. zumiee said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

And the AT&T crowd breaks out into a remarkable chant of “No flaccid bats! No flaccid bats!” And Krukow says: “Are they saying what I think they’re saying?….”

9. Bozo said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Nice D on the corners.

10. willedav said, on April 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

With his stride and that long swing Carlos Gonzo reminds me of LH Andres Galarraga.

11. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:03 pm

After a week of offensive bliss, looks like we’re back to the “torture” scenario for a while…

12. Macdog said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’ve been watching the Masters. Can it be — the Giants scored?

• willedav said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

yeah, couple nice ABs–Crawford first pitch swinging gets the Sac Fly rbi, and then Pagan line shot drives in 2. I know sabr guys are all over waiting out pitchers, but dang, sometimes the best pitch to hit you will see in an AB is the first one. Morse cracked one again too, seems to happen at least once a game.

• Macdog said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Thanx for the update! Huddy with a lead, I like our chances.

13. willedav said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm

And there you go snarkk.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Panda or the torture? Ha ha. Still not much offense, but I’ll take Panda getting the dinger. Hopefully that jump starts him. Morse is really starting to impress me. When they guy hits it, it goes…

14. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm

So far, who would the Gyros miss the most, if injured? I gotta go with Pagan…

15. Alleykat said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:07 pm

There goes Hudson’s strong effort down the drain,4-4 no decision, thanks Javier Lopez.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm

He got the ground ball, Kat. Just not right at somebody with one down and IF playing in. Hard to fault him, IMO. Weiss pulled a weird move and subbed the righty PH in for the left hander Blackmon leading the league in hitting, who was doing fine against LHPs. Weird, but it worked…

16. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Come on Belt!…

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Oh, never mind then…

17. Alleykat said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Bubba’s getting one sleeve in the green jacket right now.
    Impressed with the kid Jordan Speith, gonna get his one day, kid’s got Major game &Major titles in his future.

• WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Yeah I was rooting for the Texas kid…You could tell that as soon as he took that 2 shot lead, he realized what he had done and where he was…Tough to maintain yourself in those conditions, but your right Kat, Spieth has a helluva future in front of him.

18. WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Isn’t Belt like 0 for his last17. Hope he’s not strengthening that grip again.

19. WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:30 pm

That second shot by Bubba on the par 5 15th, where he went thru the trees and over the water was one of the greatest stupid shots I have ever seen.

20. WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Great finish by Jimenez…Crazy to think that next weekend will be his Champions Tour debut.

21. WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Fuck

• WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I have no problem with Flannery sending him.

22. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I’m not on the TV. Should Flannery have sent him?…

• WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

If the relay wasn’t perfect he would have been safe…Two outs in the bottom of the ninth with Crawford on deck, I would send him all day long.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

OK, thanks…

23. Bozo said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

CRAP.

24. Macdog said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Awww man.

25. WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Crawdaddy!!!

26. snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Yawsuh! Crawdaddy with the walk off! This kid maybe is starting to find his stroke…

• WilcoJoe said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:51 pm

And he hit off a lefty.

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thanx, even better!…

27. Macdog said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Craw walkoff dong!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

ding dong ding!!!!

28. pawliekokonuts said, on April 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Just as I was about to ask about the wisdom of Blanco’s try for an inside-the-parker, Crawdad wins it. Sweet! As in victory sweet. Side note: last night I attended a play called “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot.” My friend introduced me to her friend, who works on a tugboat. Without missing a beat, I asked him, “Did you know Dusty Rhodes?” Indeed he did. They had worked together. Pretty cool. I said, “We may be the only two folks here who can have this conversation. I happened to know that Dusty Rhodes worked on a tug after baseball.” I was too young to recall it, but the archives say Dusty Rhodes was pretty key in helping the New York Giants win a ring in 1954. p.s. I’ve recounted several times how I saw Madison Bumgarner hit a grand slam in a AA game in Binghamton, NY. I think I even reported back here that I was more impressed with his hitting than his pitching. (I guess I’m not such a good scout, though I also said after a game in Binghamton one year to send up Sandoval and Rohlinger. They did.)

• DJLoo said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm

In Ball Four, Jim Bouton writes sadly about one his heroes, Dusty Rhodes, driving a little tour bus at the 1964 World’s Fair…

29. SanDawg said, on April 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm

My ex and my 2 younger kids were at the game. They were texting me earlier–bummed that they didn’t see an official splash hit when Pablo’s hit a flag pole on the way over the arcade. THEN, they see Crawdad splash a walk-off! Trying to stay positive, but I’m kinda jealous.

ps I knew Geno Cemoli drove a UPS truck in SF after his career, but did not know Dusty Rhodes worked on a tugboat. Good stuff.

30. blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Glad to see the Giants pulled one out of the fire in “overtime.” Huddy might have even helped me win some money, but I wont know for certain until after this evening’s Yankee/Red Sox game . . .

By the by, I wrote a new blog post about my trip to Hoi An, Vietnam . . .

31. Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’m done with Aldon Smith. And I’m done with Harbs, too. He clearly doesn’t give a flying fuck what his players do off the field. That’s not a coach I want for the Niners. There has to be some accountability, you can’t just do whatever you want……..

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:23 pm

yeah, this is embarrassing

• snarkk said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm

He’s 24 going on 15. There are twitter reports that LAPD says he had been drinking. Apparently not Orange Julius. If true, the alarm bells just went off at 4949 Centennial. Prince Jed must be on an Alka Seltzer drip the past month…

• SanDawg said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’m sure he’s done as a Niner now, but I don’t think you can put this incident on Harbaugh. Yeah, maybe they went too easy on him after his DUI, but Harbaugh’s job is to win football games and Smith was a big part of making that happen. I doubt a harsher penalty from the team back then would have prevented something like this from happening.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:56 pm

If you are going after someone, go after the GM. Harbaugh isn’t drafting these guys. And, per the CBA, the coaches are not allowed to have ANY contact with the players until April 21.

• Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:29 pm

WTF are you talking about? Harbs isn’t supposed to manage his players because TB drafted them? I have to be misunderstanding your post, right?

33. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:57 pm

What are the odds that he said “Don’t you know who I am ?” at least 2 or 3 times during the arrest ?

• blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Good point Mike. Actually, I think that’s exactly what happened. I also suspect he thought it would be funny to say, “I have a bomb.” I get it that he is a punk, but he is also in his mid-20s and has been told his entire life how wonderful he is. Is it any wonder that he thinks of himself as bullet-proof to any type of accountability or responsibility? Quite frankly, many of these athletes (all sports) are emotional midgets.

34. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Alison’s an idiot all by himself. He’s a big boy on his way out of the best thing to happen to him.

35. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm

If he was drunk, he’d be lucky to get rehab. If not, he’s suspended for the year.

• twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Aldon is virtually wearing Red Flags. This is a kid bound for *real* trouble unless someone can get through to him.

36. Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Diggity–I’m not putting this incident on Harbs. I’m putting the bigger picture on Harbs. If you aren’t up here, you might have missed a few things. Today it was Aldon (again). A few days ago it was Kap. Last week it was Culliver getting arrested on a hit and run. There have been other things over the past couple of years, I just don’t have the Niner Pride to delve into it here, right now…..

37. Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:16 pm

And I don’t care how young Aldon is or how immature he is or whatever. His past transgressions have attached a big target on his back. Only a fool wouldn’t realize this. And he’s so dumb, even with the target, that he’s going to make a joke about having a bomb to a TSA agent?
    That’s stupidity beyond fixing. Drunk or not.
    Fuck him, get rid of him.

38. Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I will say this, Aldon is a physical monster. I’ll never forget watching video of him coming out to practice at noon the night after he’d been locked up. He was drunk as fuck the night before, he got arrested and thrown in the drunk tank. You KNOW he got no sleep. And a few hours later he’s out on the practice field banging into pro football players.
    Either being a pro football player is easier than I thought or that kid is just a monster. Too bad his brain can’t catch up with his body.

39. Flavor said, on April 13, 2014 at 8:23 pm

good article by T-K about the pattern of all this bullshit. At some point, you have to look to your leader, and if your leader is leading all this shit, it’s time to find a new leader.

• ewisco said, on April 13, 2014 at 9:28 pm

at the start of last year i said that harbaugh would be gone in two years. i think i posted it. he’s a hypocritical blowhard and i don’t think that can last long in a clubhouse. I have one more year for my prediction.

40. Flavor said, on April 14, 2014 at 6:29 am

new thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers