Winning Wet

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 14, 2014

I might be in the minority, but I didn’t have a problem with Flannery trying to scoot Blanco home for a WOITPHR (walk off inside the park homerun). As my main man on the scene in Houston (WilcoJoe) noted, it took a perfect throw to get him. And while the throw might not have had to be total perfection, Flann put the pressure on the Rockies to make the throws and the tag and no one is mailing any of that in. At least, they shouldn’t be.

And it ended fine with Crawford sending everyone home wet and smiley. B-Craw is starting to tease me. Besides blasting away on left handers, he’s got a .981 OPS and an out-of-this-world OPS+ of 179. For those of us who used to think he’d hit .250 if we just prayed a lot, it might be time to raise that bar….

Guest Post tomorrow: The esteemed and honorable Twin

___________________

Niner Comment: Their first 3 draft picks of the 2011 draft: Aldon Smith, Kap, Culliver.

Oops.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:10 am

Blanco was flying (until he rounded third), two outs, a chance to win it, they were playing kick ball in the OF, the throws had to be on the money, I think you have to send him. I liked that call.
    So far, it looks like the time Bonds spent with Craw on hitting lefties is working out pretty good.

2. willedav said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:34 am

Hicks made a nice stop at 2b too and Pablo looked good at 3b.
    My only worry about Hudson would be how many innings he can go as season wears on. Yesterday 85 pitches was about 3 batters worth too many.
    Blanco has been odd guy out with Morse hitting so well and hasn’t had many ABs, glad he whacked one solidly.

As to Harbs, he isn’t about to adjust what he does and how he handles guys. In college a coach has total control and yanks anyone’s scholarship and playing time as he sees fit. At pro level you are dealing with grown men (allegedly) who make a ton of money and have a lot of free time to enjoy themselves however they see fit.

The *leaders* are team individuals in the locker rooms and position meetings, not coaches. How well players handle themselves when not on the field and who they hang with is way out of Harbs or any other coach’s control. He was a player, I’m sure he heard about stuff and shrugged his shoulders and laughed it off, as in “what are you gonna do?” Now he has to look stern and be *concerned and disappointed.*
    Look at the messes Marshawn Lynch got into in buffalo and elsewhere, riding around town with buddies of his with stolen cell phones in the car, weed and open containers, etc. You know that’s just tip of the iceberg stuff, the times they get caught.

3. Alleykat said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:29 am

I don’t know Willie, Hudson’s pretty damm efficient with his pitch counts compared to the rest of the staff. But yeah at 38 it could ketch up to him later in the dog days of summer..

• willedav said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

I don’t blame Bochy for leaving him in to start 8th, I just wonder how many effective innings he can continue to rack up as season continues.
      I think a lot of pitchers are like this–they only have limited amount of effective innings in their arm. What is Huds number gonna be? 150? Less?

• snarkk said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I’ve always kind of wondered why teams don’t skip each starter halfway to 3/4 through the season for “tendinitis” or something for one start using scheduling, just to give the guy’s arm a blow for around 8-10 days. Kind of a refresh point. Could do some good for the older guys with a lot of mileage on the old wing…

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

85 pitches (his fewest of the year so far, only 3 with fewer in 21 starts last year). Times in stretch before the 8th-
      ONE. Yesterday might catch up with him in 2054…

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:44 pm

One way to cut down on his innings, if not the pitch count- don’t pitch well.

4. willedav said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:33 am

Maybe nature of the sport, where catastrophic injuries happen quite often and guys bodies are physically battered on a regular basis in a short season. Avg. career of a running back is only a few years, isn’t it? In other major sports the seasons are longer and travel more exhausting, back to back games, etc. Maybe that makes what they do in off season/down time different too.
    Maybe life in football leads more to the “Cleanhead” Vinson type outook of “You get yours/brother you know I’ll get mine.”

• Bozo said, on April 14, 2014 at 10:59 am

An Eddie Vinson ref, very nice.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:55 am

Someone should confirm this statistically (Twin?), but my hunch is that over the years the Giants while in SF have had a pretty good record on Sundays, whether home or away. Nice to wake up on Monday with the non-hangover hangover and sweet lingering fragrance of victory. Sort of like after the “affair” when it goes well.

6. stickman said, on April 14, 2014 at 9:55 am

Don’t know if pulling Hudson after seven would have been a wise move, what with the pitch count and all being fairly modest. But with a hurler of his tender years, and maybe any of them except perhaps Bumgarner, a pair of bullies warming up should be virtually axiomatic, with the exception there being standout performances combined with solid leads. Another axiom should be when a starter gives up a hard-hit ball to the first batter, particularly after having bit hit a bit in the 6th, it’s time for the manager to make the slow walk, provided he has a reliable setup man warmed up.

Lottsa exceptions and out-clauses in the above paragraph, but that’s baseball. Nothing much is cut and dried in the game of games. More nuances than a legal not so brief by a corporate lawyer written for a deep-pocketed client who needs to cover every possible contingency.

7. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 10:39 am

Flavor, this isn’t summer camp. Or even college. How is Harbaugh supposed to ‘control’ 53 players in the offseason? Beyond the fact (per the new CBA) it is strictly forbidden for coaches and players to go to team HQ, or to basically have any contact with each other from the end of the last game to April 21st, is he suppoesed to call them every day? Tuck them in at night?

Is Bill Belichick on the hook for the guy Hernandez killed? No. Is the Panthers front office liable for the attempted murder of Rae Carruth’s girlfriend? Are the Chiefs complicit in the Jovan Belcher story (murder/suicide?). No. For Leonard Little’s DUI manslaughter? Sorry. These are actions by adults that they pay the consequences of. Or not in Little’s case.

No one can see into the future to figure out who goes crazy when given a shitload of money when these guys get theirs. Have there been a shitload of problems over the years? Yes. The Niners don’t own this problem. Every team struggles with some form of this and have been for years. Sure, I don’t profess to condone any of it, but I ain’t naive enough to believe these guys (especially football players) aren’t just a little bit on the bug-shit crazy side, playing a sport where mayhem is the common goal. This isn’t the East German swim team of the 70s, where the athletes were basically trained and drugged and controlled every minute of every day. Or the current Chinese gymnastics team.

If players in the 20’s and 30’s were under this scrutiny, Ty Cobb would have been arrested 25 times. Same with Mickey Mantle, Sam McDowell, Paul Hourning, Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgenson, Billy Martin, on and on.

• Alleykat said, on April 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

Great Post Chuck and so true,. All coaches from college to pros are not wet nurses,for every Lawerence Phillips dragging his girlfriend down 3 flights of stares at Nebraska, their are Model Players like Bryant Young who played for pride.

8. Flavor said, on April 14, 2014 at 11:13 am

Look, I’m no choir boy and I don’t expect my football team to be one, either. But how about not getting 3 police reports churned out on my guys within 2 weeks of each other? That certainly isn’t happening on any other team. So what is it? Bad luck? Or are our players just fucking stupid?
    Hey, Kap and Quentin hanging out with that fuckin’ Seahawk in the hotel room might be the worst thing to happen this entire off season. :)

• unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 11:52 am

It happened to the Seahawks last year with all their PED suspensions and substance abuse issues. Look where it got them . . .

(I refuse to putin a smiley face! (R))

9. Macdog said, on April 14, 2014 at 11:47 am

I missed seeing the Blanco play live, instead waiting for Spieth to chip onto the green late in the Masters. But given The White Shark’s speed and a chance to end it right then and there, I have no problem with Flan sending him.

The more curious decision came from the Rockies in the 8th after the back-to-back doubles to get to 4-3 with no outs. Here’s a potential big inning coming, but Weiss sent up a pinch-hitter to bunt the runner to third and play for a tie, which they got on the Stubbs single. Given the way that inning was going, I was glad to see the Rox give us an out.

As for the Niners, it’s the NFL’s Silly Season. No team is immune from the offseason nonsense. Didn’t the Kaepernick incident (or, perhaps, non-incident) happen in Miami? What exactly is Harbaugh supposed to do from the other side of the country, put an ankle monitor on his star QB?

• Flavor said, on April 14, 2014 at 11:58 am

Of course, I’m not suggesting that Harbs could have stopped this. But much like the bullying environment tolerated in Miami by that powerless coach (can’t remember his name. Philben?) the Niners have created an environment where the players simply fear no consequence. And I would argue that the Seahawk players getting busted for Adderall, a performance enhancing drug, is just slightly different than hitting someone with your car, trying to flee the scene and then threatening a person with brass knuckles, taking a girl to your hotel room and getting her so wasted she passes out and ends up dropped off at the hospital with no memory, and telling a TSA agent you have a bomb.
      Hey, I’m a Niner fan and I’ll always be a fan of the team but it’s hard to root for these players individually.

• Macdog said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I sympathize with you there. It’s getting tougher to root for some of these players — unless it happens to the Cowboys.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:18 pm

The Niners haven’t ‘created’ shit. For all intents and purposes, when Aldon Smith came back to the team, the vets and leaders (Gore, Boldin, Whitner) supported him in his efforts to stay clean and be a good guy. These guys aren’t in camp now. They are on their own. Most of the shit w/Jon Martin happened during the season and in camp. This isn’t like the White House in Dallas, where players hung out and regularly had cocaine and hookers delivered to their place for coke-fueled orgies. On the team dime and during the season. These are players out on their own.

Again, these are adults. Childish? Yes. All imbued with a false sense of entitlement? Sure. Do they feel above the law? Probably. Have they been coddled all their lives because they are great athletes? Probably. Who’s to say? Baseball players cheat on their wives, they beat up their wives, and kill themselves and others with drugs. Steve Howe was on his 18th try at rehab. Golfers and tennis players are roiding. Legless runners are murdering their girlfriends. This shit happens all the time. It just happened to some guys on the same team at the same time. A not-so-happy coincidence.

Frankly I’m past the point of giving a shit how these guys act. Look at our fucking congressmen.

• Chipower9 said, on April 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Well said…I agree, Charlie. All the team can do in these situations is deal with it on an individual basis, based on the facts. That may entail fines from the club and possibly team suspensions. And I think a majority of this (the “specifics” on how the team deals with these instances) needs to be private and behind closed doors. The team talking head can make a statement on behalf of the club that they are “dealing with the situation.”

• snarkk said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm

That loon Congressman from wherever about 6 weeks ago got up in that news reporter’s grill and threatened in a 4-letter rage on camera on the Capitol rotunda to throw the reporter over the railing for asking him an embarrassing question. Likely assault charge on a gov’t official for you and me if we did that to the esteemed Congressman. But, discipline for the Congressman? Nah, you kiddin? Onto his fund raisers…

• unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Insider trading for all!! Inside the building, of course.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Was it controversial that Flannery sent Blanco in the 9th? Other than Blanco taking the tag in the junk I thought it was a reasonable gamble.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, if he was out by 15 feet then yeah, not a good play. It was a bang bang play, and Tiburon Blanco nearly avoided the tag. Maybe if he was less, ahem, endowed, he would have been safe.

The only reason I’d think twice about it is for the safety of the player. Pagan’s season pretty much ended after his ITPHR.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Watching the play, I think it was Cuddyer, sort of booted it and Flannery didn’t hesitate. At home, go for the win. I didn’t have a problem with it. Losing Pagan was big last year. I wonder if Flannery would send him again in a similar situation? I hope not. Speaking of Blanco. Dude has been pretty healthy for his entire stint in black and orange. I don’t remember him having any injuries. Maybe I am just forgetting.

14. zumiee said, on April 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The Dodgers vs. D-Backs, 5-0. The Dodgers vs. others, 4-4. I’m not sure that stat means anything other than the fact the Dodgers are the kind of team that’s going to beat up on bad teams this season, and probably flop in the playoffs again, where you only face quality teams. It would be AWESOME if the Giants won the division and the Dodgers lost the 1-game Wild Card playoff. That would be very cool.

15. zumiee said, on April 14, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, once Cuddyer bobbled the ball, it was GO time! AT&T Park is built for inside-the-park homerun possibilities.

16. Chipower9 said, on April 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I was watching live, and given the situation (Blanco on the basepaths), the ball taking a weird carom, and the subsequent bobble, I would definitely have sent Blanco. Flan made the right call, IMO.

Love the way MudBug is hitting lefties. Bochy and crew started talking platooning him and he said EFF that! It’s early, but I like the early results.

RE: Huddy – except for a couple of shortened seasons, the dude has always been durable and pitched a lot of innings. If the ankle is truly healed all the way, I see no reason to worry about his inning count. Again, except for two or three years, he has consistently pitched over 175 innings, and topped 200 innings eight times.

• DJLoo said, on April 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hudson’s over 2800 innings for his career. Scary number?

• snarkk said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Hope he’s gotten his regular oil changes…

17. snarkk said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Bogut out with broken rib. That dude was on a healthy roll early in the season, then seems to have had one injury after another the last two months. Broken rib is no fakery, can’t fault him, but somehow this guy just seems to get hurt…

• Nipper said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm

That’s hurtful!

18. Nipper said, on April 14, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Flannery can do no wrong in my book.

19. twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I’ll send you an Email, Craig. Sorry, I can’t do the post tomorrow. To be honest, it would take me too long and I can’t think of anything to post anyway.

20. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Well, the case against Kappy and Co appears to be falling apart. Or something.

21. salty said, on April 14, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Hallellujah. W’s lock up the 6th seed. Maybe now Dramond Green can turn into Magic Johnson and….

22. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm

If the Dub end up playing the Clippers, it’ll be a real tough row to hoe going against Grifffin and DeAndre Jordan without Bogut. Green was on fire tonight though.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers